PDA

View Full Version : Hall of fame discussion

RashanGary
11-25-2020, 11:42 PM
Woodson and butler.

As a weird side note, does ndomakung Suh make it some day? I think he does

Upnorth
11-26-2020, 06:55 AM
He is borderline. He had some dominance but more notoriety than anything. And that helps him with name recognition.

I would love to see Butler get in and he is deserving but has some stiff competition thos year certainly.

texaspackerbacker
11-26-2020, 10:47 AM
It seems like there have been a helluva lot of D Linemen as good or better than Suh over the decades, and most of them haven't gotten into Canton.

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 01:48 PM
I hope Butler gets in. I was too young to really have a solid opinion. Pretty sure I was like 15 or 16 in his last year. Too young to have a valid opinion. But ive watched the highlights and he's kind of a Jamaal Adams type with a little less thump but a little more coverage. A rare, versatile, game changer.

Joemailman
11-27-2020, 07:06 PM
In my opinion, Leroy Butler was a better overall safety than anyone currently playing. In his career he had 38 INT's and 20.5 career sacks. His 1996 season when he had 5 INT's and 6.5 sacks is one of the all-time great seasons for a safety. Oh, and he invented the Lambeau Leap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIAxhcae4ow&t=23s

HarveyWallbangers
11-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Butler is grossly underrated by non-Packers fans. Only player on the All-1990's team not in the Hall of Fame. I'm not sure who to compare him to (maybe a bit like Charles Woodson after he was moved to S), but he was athletic enough to play CB his first two years, but could tackle (but not a thumper) and blitz like a traditional S. Very instinctive too.

smuggler
11-27-2020, 07:41 PM
Butler is more deserving than Atwater, his All-90s teammate. He'll get in eventually. Woodson is getting in on his first ballot.

Suh, I think not. He lasted a long time, but did not have the prolonged peak that he would need to get in. For linemen, it's almost as much about being famous as it is about being good.

Case in point is Maurkice Pouncey. Good player, nowhere near good enough to be a Hall of Famer. But famous enough to rack up tons of awards and so he'll get in eventually. Can think of about 10 other centers from the span of his career that should go in first. That's not a Hall of Famer.

E: In no particular order:

Matt Birk
Olin Kreutz
Jeff Saturday
Alex Mack
Andre Gurode
Nick Mangold
Nick Hardwick
Eric Wood
Max Unger
Chris Myers
John Sullivan
Jason Kelce
Travis Frederick
Rodney Hudson
Ryan Jensen

Maybe now Corey Linsley

Jaire
01-05-2021, 10:18 PM
Looking at the finalists, should Butler get the nod before Jared Allen, Faneca, or Zac Thomas? I didn't see enough of the last two, but I would put him above Allen who I think is borderline HoF. Don't remember Mills at all. Boselli had a short career which hurts him.

Megatron deserves it imo.