PDA

View Full Version : Lions Fire Patricia, GM Quinn

Joemailman
11-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Add Patricia to the list of Hoody Genius disciples who didn't cut it as a head coach.

Also add him to the list of potential Defensive Coordinator candidates for 2021.

Sparkey
11-28-2020, 02:52 PM
How much input did he have with the Patriots defensive game plan and play calling ?

Joemailman
11-28-2020, 04:41 PM
How much input did he have with the Patriots defensive game plan and play calling ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Patricia

Patricia joined the Patriots under head coach Bill Belichick as an offensive coaching assistant in 2004. In 2005, upon the departure of assistant offensive line/tight ends coach Jeff Davidson, Patricia was reassigned as the Patriots' assistant offensive line coach. Then-linebackers coach Dean Pees was promoted to defensive coordinator after the season, prompting another reassignment for Patricia, this time to linebackers coach for the 2006 season. Patricia was named the team's safeties coach in 2011. In 2012, he was promoted to the title of defensive coordinator, though he had been calling the plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009 season.

Joemailman
11-28-2020, 07:40 PM
Darell Bevell Lions interim coach.

Harlan Huckleby
11-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Lions are snake bit. Coaches don't fail in Detroit, they just pass through.

Guiness
11-28-2020, 09:37 PM
Darell Bevell Lions interim coach.

Bevell? lol! Dude's got 9 lives!

writer Peter King called the play one of the worst calls in Super Bowl history
Bevell acknowledged making the call

I actually thought Jim Bob Cooter was still there.

call_me_ishmael
11-29-2020, 01:10 AM
I'm starting to think it's an organizational and owner problem.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-29-2020, 03:21 AM
I'm starting to think it's an organizational and owner problem.

Word.

The Ford family should stick to making mediocre vehicles for Rednecks like the F150-driving Harrell. Sell the Lions to Detroit’s most famous son, Marshal Mathers, aka, Slim Shady, aka, Eminem.

Em is the GOAT white rapper. No one else comes close, although Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice is a timeless song.

Joemailman
11-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Word.

The Ford family should stick to making mediocre vehicles for Rednecks like the F150-driving Harrell. Sell the Lions to Detroit’s most famous son, Marshal Mathers, aka, Slim Shady, aka, Eminem.

Em is the GOAT white rapper. No one else comes close, although Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice is a timeless song.

Dude. You were up at 3:21 AM posting about the Ford family and Eminem. And then edited your post at 5:52 AM. You okay?

I'm still driving a Ford Ranger. Don't know anything about Eminem. But I do know about ...

https://cdn.musebycl.io/2019-07/M%26Ms-final-hed-2019.jpg

Anti-Polar Bear
11-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Dude. You were up at 3:21 AM posting about the Ford family and Eminem. And then edited your post at 5:52 AM. You okay?

I'm still driving a Ford Ranger. Don't know anything about Eminem. But I do know about ...

https://cdn.musebycl.io/2019-07/M%26Ms-final-hed-2019.jpg

Y’all know that I involuntarily flip burgers for the minimum-wage, graveyard shift and all. Made the post during “lunch”. About 2 hours later, went on my last 15, reread the post, felt bad about trolling Harrell, and then edited the post.

My redneck friend once spent $15,000 on a high mileage, 5 year old used F150. I was like, for that much, you coulda gotten a current year Japanese sedan! He was like, no fucking way I’m getting a foreign midget car; besides, a redneck without a F150 ain’t no redneck! Ain’t nothing wrong with that, I guess. Bobble digs Asian chicks. Harrell digs F150. It is what it is.

Eminem: famous Detroit rapper, white, starred in the nice flick “8 Mile”.

QBME
11-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Add Patricia to the list of Hoody Genius disciples who didn't cut it as a head coach.

Also add him to the list of potential Defensive Coordinator candidates for 2021.

No thank you.
Hoody Genius’ coaching tree is smaller and thinner than anything in Mr. Myagi’s garden. The genius in Hoody is he identifies great and smart coordinators, give them a brilliant scheme to coach up. But he never teaches them why.

Guiness
11-29-2020, 07:21 PM
No thank you.
Hoody Genius’ coaching tree is smaller and thinner than anything in Mr. Myagi’s garden. The genius in Hoody is he identifies great and smart coordinators, give them a brilliant scheme to coach up. But he never teaches them why.

Except maybe McDaniels. By all accounts he was lured back from the Colts job by the promise he's learn get the real scoop.

Maybe I'm missing someone else, but I think Vrabel is the only one with success. Crenel, Mangini, Saban and until now McDaniels have all have losing records.
edit: well damn, he only played, never coached in for the Pats.

run pMc
11-30-2020, 10:38 AM
You forgot Bill O'Brien...he's been a successful trade sucker for other teams.

Yeah the Belichick coaching tree is not a good one. Flores is doing ok this year in MIA, but as yet there haven't been any with sustained success. Maybe that only applies at the HC level, but I have a feeling that BB has such a strong presence everywhere that these guys are basically just reasonably competent but not HC worthy.

Patricia strikes me as an overbearing jerk. His comments about how his play calling won the SB made me smh -- that looked more like individual excellent play by Malcom Butler, and a bad call by (irony alert!) Darrell Bevell. Bragging about or taking credit for your players' accomplishments is not a good look IMO.

Detroit has been a problem franchise for years, even before Matt Millen. Wayne Fontes and Jim Caldwell were their two best coaches in the last 30 years, and even though Stafford has been their best QB during that time they still can't put two consecutive winning seasons together. They can't seem to figure it out.

Fritz
11-30-2020, 12:07 PM
You forgot Bill O'Brien...he's been a successful trade sucker for other teams.

Yeah the Belichick coaching tree is not a good one. Flores is doing ok this year in MIA, but as yet there haven't been any with sustained success. Maybe that only applies at the HC level, but I have a feeling that BB has such a strong presence everywhere that these guys are basically just reasonably competent but not HC worthy.

Patricia strikes me as an overbearing jerk. His comments about how his play calling won the SB made me smh -- that looked more like individual excellent play by Malcom Butler, and a bad call by (irony alert!) Darrell Bevell. Bragging about or taking credit for your players' accomplishments is not a good look IMO.

Detroit has been a problem franchise for years, even before Matt Millen. Wayne Fontes and Jim Caldwell were their two best coaches in the last 30 years, and even though Stafford has been their best QB during that time they still can't put two consecutive winning seasons together. They can't seem to figure it out.

It's not just the coaching tree; the GM tree is pretty slight and diseased, too. Bob Quinn seemed to think he was always the smartest guy in the room, so he drafted obvious washouts like that linebacker Tahvani and that short-n-slow cornerback from one of the Florida schools. He also picked Jarad Davis, the linebacker, in the first round. The guy's a classic JAG, Oh, and he ditched Glover Quinn and Darius Slay. And signed "Snacks" Harrison to a big contract, then cut him less than a year later, I think. Patricia got a lot of grief, and rightfully so. His defenses were so vanilla and not scary. But Quinn inherited a franchise with at least reasonable talent, and he gutted them.

Kenny Golladay was his best pick hands down. But that was a rare find on his part.

I'm sad that they are gone. It was good to know they'd suck, even before the season began. But, as someone else said, luckily for Packer fans, the Fords are still in control. We've been able to count on them to fuck things up since I was but a boy back in the 60's. Outside of one year of success with Joe Schmidt coaching (and the famous 5-0 playoff loss to the Cowboys, I think in '70 or '71), and a couple years where the "Big Buck" Fontes got them into the playoffs (where they were either upset by the Pack or were blown out in the championship game), the Lions have never been able to even get a whiff of success. Even Caldwell's teams were really nothing more than 9 - 7 teams. Meh.

Hell, last year they could've drafted the Alabama QB or that other one who is now having success (don't know the name), but they went for Jeff Obidiah, or whoever he is. And he's not doing great. A corner back in the top five.

texaspackerbacker
11-30-2020, 01:27 PM
The perfect reply to "the Bears still suck" is: "but at least they're not the Lions".

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 02:54 PM
Early odds for new Lions coach:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/sTlDCwzOu-L33X3HrGJsddn8gPw=/0x0:486x341/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:486x341):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22128221/Screen_Shot_2020_11_29_at_9.47.45_AM.png

Saleh’s ties to Michigan are strong. He was born and raised in Dearborn, Michigan, which is two miles from the Lions facility. Saleh grew up a Lions fan who idolized Barry Sanders. Saleh’s family still lives in Dearborn, and even played at Northern Michigan in college and coached at Michigan State

smuggler
11-30-2020, 06:17 PM
I have a higher opinion of Matt Patricia than most fans. I think the roster was a little suspect and Patricia made them look better than they really were, especially against GB last season. There was an insidious "this isn't a leader" and "this man can't take us to success" attitude which haunted him very early, and it's completely self-fulfilling and on-brand for the Lions to sabotage their otherwise capable coach with defeatist, loser culture.

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Jim Mora has expressed interest in the Lions coaching job. Figures no one will ask him about playoffs.

smuggler
11-30-2020, 06:45 PM
Jim Mora Sr. still alive?

Fritz
11-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Early odds for new Lions coach:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/sTlDCwzOu-L33X3HrGJsddn8gPw=/0x0:486x341/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:486x341):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22128221/Screen_Shot_2020_11_29_at_9.47.45_AM.png

I would laugh my ass off if Michigan finally had the guts to fire Harbaugh . . . and then the Fords hired him.

smuggler
11-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Michigan deserves Harbaugh. One national championship since '50, which is almost as good as the Leos with their three in that span.

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 07:36 PM
Any team that wins 2 playoff games this year will have exceeded the number of playoff wins the Lions have in the last 63 years.

Joemailman
12-11-2020, 07:25 PM
Report that Lions are interviewing 3 internal candidates for their GM job. :clap::five::tup::bump::glug: