PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs. Bears

Joemailman
11-29-2020, 10:37 PM
Rodgers 21-29, 211 yards, 4 TD 132.3 rating.

Couple nice catches from ESB. WR corp suddenly doesn't look bad, if Lazard is ok.

Preston Smith with an impact tonight.

Still too many holes in zone defense.

RashanGary
11-29-2020, 10:45 PM
I think lizard came back. Looked like wind knocked out. And yes, WRs look very good. Always helps when you start with the best in the league.

Joemailman
11-29-2020, 10:51 PM
Ability to run up the middle really opened up play action.

Joemailman
11-29-2020, 11:11 PM
Rodgers talked about footing being an issue.

Talked about really running downhill today. Lot of A gap and B gap runs.

texaspackerbacker
11-29-2020, 11:20 PM
The O Line was damn good even though the Bears D Line was depleted. Our DBs were reasonably good. Our ILBs, though, were horrible, especially Kirksey who is total garbage.

As good as Jamal Williams did and is, he's no Aaron Jones. We NEED to retain Aaron Jones. And the absolute idiocy of the idea of letting Rodgers go in 2 or 3 or even 5 or 7 years needs to stop among any fans infected with that, and if Gutekunst or whoever lets that happen, they need to get publicly lynched by fans.

I think we saw the Bears actually gaming to stop Valdez-Scantling tonight, which, of course, opened up a lot of other things. Davante Adams actually had a bad game - for him - tonight, 2 clear drops of catchable balls.

I'm looking forward to the second Bears game - the Packers debut of Jordan Love ...... or maybe not if the #1 seed is still on the line.

RashanGary
11-29-2020, 11:23 PM
Ability to run up the middle really opened up play action.

Yep. And they ran well outside at times too.

RashanGary
11-29-2020, 11:25 PM
It was mentioned in the game thread, but Rodgers now has three reliable targets in Tonyan, Lazard and Adams. Possibly 4 with EQ. Three reliable pass catchers is nice, but it really comes to life when you have a legitimate running game and a tried and true elite deep decoy to boot. Run softens the pass defense and the deep decoy softens it even more. Rodgers taking candy from babies out there.

RashanGary
11-29-2020, 11:27 PM
Also mentioned in the game thread, Runyan is an important find for us. When you can have a 22 million dollar LT and still have an affordable and solid OL across the board, that’s nice for your 37 year old hall of fame QB

RashanGary
11-29-2020, 11:31 PM
Rodgers has always played well with guys he’s been with for some time.

Lazard 2.5 years with AR
Tonyan 3 years
MVS 3
EQ 3
Adams 7
Mercedes 3
Jones 4
Williams 4

It’s a really good group of guys who know how to work with 12. It’s completely different in that it’s the first time he’s had 2 RBs with this much chemistry and it’s the first time all of his skill guys were good blockers. So obviously it’s a different offense. But damn, different in a good way!

RashanGary
11-29-2020, 11:34 PM
Rodgers still on pace for 48 touchdowns after 11 games :glug:

texaspackerbacker
11-30-2020, 01:57 AM
Aaron Rodgers may be the GOAT, but Mitch Trubisky should be called the "scarecrow". That's a Wizard of Oz reference - if he only had a brain. Trubisky's arm isn't that much worse than Aaron Rodgers, and his mobility is right there just about as good too. But the guy just doesn't have the good sense not to throw it into coverage. We should be damn thankful for what we have - a QB who basically doesn't from interceptions.

Freak Out
11-30-2020, 02:05 AM
How the fuck did King miss that int?

MadScientist
11-30-2020, 03:21 AM
Aaron Rodgers may be the GOAT, but Mitch Trubisky should be called the "scarecrow". That's a Wizard of Oz reference - if he only had a brain. Trubisky's arm isn't that much worse than Aaron Rodgers, and his mobility is right there just about as good too. But the guy just doesn't have the good sense not to throw it into coverage. We should be damn thankful for what we have - a QB who basically doesn't from interceptions.

He must have watched film of Cutler and thought that is how a Bears QB should play, especially against the Packers.

Vincenzo
11-30-2020, 07:18 AM
He must have watched film of Cutler and thought that is how a Bears QB should play, especially against the Packers.
Yep, he played “Cutler’ish.”

Smidgeon
11-30-2020, 11:39 AM
How the fuck did King miss that int?

"If DBs could catch, they'd be WRs."

Fritz
11-30-2020, 12:09 PM
I saw Rashan Gary get knocked on his ass a couple of times - though admittedly by double teams.

What if I turned out to be wr - uh, wro. -- uh, wr, wr...

Ah, I can't say it.

run pMc
11-30-2020, 12:18 PM
yeah that should have been a pick. The defense didn't play great, but playing a bad offense sure helps.

The long Montgomery run? 2 DL, with no help up the middle.
Short throws to the WR? Raven Greene flies up and past the receiver, requiring a second player to rally.
outside CB lined up 8 yards off the X receiver? Mitch throws a quick out and the receiver picks up the first down.
Outside bubble screen formation near the goal line? DB's and Kamal waving for help; Kirksey gets there late.

They did get enough stops, and I thought had some good moments too. Preston had a decent game, Gary was pressuring well, Z forced that fumble (they didn't call the facemask). Jaire is a Pro Bowl CB, and when allowed to the DB's were physical. Kenny Clark has a motor but no help on the DL.

Shoutout to the OL; Jenkins and the rookie Runyan (liked the pick, really like it now) played solid after Linsley's injury. Turner did a good job making sure Mack was not very impactful.
Lazard is getting his feet under him, EQ had a couple of nice plays, and a banged up MVS blocked well.

I swear we've seen Kittle run the route Tonyan did for the TD; you could see that play coming... very satisfying to see it work vs. the Bears.
They ran the ball well against a tough front, the Bears really missed Hicks and Goldman.

Adams dropped a couple of balls I thought he should've had, but still had a pretty good game. MLF called a better game and the O didn't shrivel up in the 2nd half like last week.

Good win - Titletown is happy today.

Bossman641
11-30-2020, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Kittle ran a similar route against us last year in the regular season. Jimmy G floated it but Kittle had time to run under it like an outfielder tracking a fly ball.

Bossman641
11-30-2020, 12:42 PM
Kirksey seems to be a liability at this point

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 12:52 PM
Kirksey seems to be a liability at this point

I guess the only silver lining in that is we’re cutting him after the season and it should be an addition by subtraction as we go forward with covid cap cuts. Barnes and Martin should be better in year two and far cheaper than Kirksey.

George Cumby
11-30-2020, 01:15 PM
I focused on Billy Turner for a handful of plays, pretty impressed with him.

Rashan Gary drawing double-teams and owned the LT, one on one, on at least a couple of plays.

Guiness
11-30-2020, 01:18 PM
It was mentioned in the game thread, but Rodgers now has three reliable targets in Tonyan, Lazard and Adams. Possibly 4 with EQ. Three reliable pass catchers is nice, but it really comes to life when you have a legitimate running game and a tried and true elite deep decoy to boot. Run softens the pass defense and the deep decoy softens it even more. Rodgers taking candy from babies out there.

Right now he's got more than that. Jones has become a very reliable receiver as well, and although he doesn't get the targets, Mercedes is very sure handed and someone who has to be accounted for in short yardage situations. I'd say there are at least five, probably 6 guys the D has to worry about.

George Cumby
11-30-2020, 01:19 PM
I really appreciated how chippy things were out there.

Packers O skill players were being cocky AF, Bears didn't like it.

Anyone see what was going on between Rodgers and Fuller?

Guiness
11-30-2020, 01:21 PM
Turner did a good job making sure Mack was not very impactful.

This. Mack was on the right side almost every time I saw him, and Rodgers didn't get hit last night. The importance of that can't be understated, the guy can take over a game. Turner gets solid kudos for that.

Guiness
11-30-2020, 01:24 PM

Was it Fuller that laid the wood on Lazard?

George Cumby
11-30-2020, 01:27 PM

I didn't think so, but could be mistaken.

Bossman641
11-30-2020, 02:37 PM

Nah, it was the other corner

smuggler
11-30-2020, 06:22 PM
Jaylon Johnson put his shoulder into the Lizard. Maybe bruised ribs or whiplash. Could be as simple as accordion lungs. However, Lazard's head did not hit against anything, so I don't think it would be anything other than a mild concussion from the head snap.

Any news on Kamal Martin or Linsley?

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Jaylon Johnson put his shoulder into the Lizard. Maybe bruised ribs or whiplash. Could be as simple as accordion lungs. However, Lazard's head did not hit against anything, so I don't think it would be anything other than a mild concussion from the head snap.

Any news on Kamal Martin or Linsley?

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
· 4h
As anticipated #Packers C Corey Linsley’s knee injury is not overly serious and definitely not season-ending, according to a source. He will probably be out a couple of weeks at the most.

Fritz
11-30-2020, 06:51 PM
I have always rooted for Encyclopedia St. Brown, so I was happy to see him make some nice catches. He also blocks well for a wide receiver. Maybe he'll gain more confidence in that knee as he plays more.

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 06:54 PM

Fuller was running his mouth after the hit.

Fritz
11-30-2020, 06:55 PM
Any news on Kamel Toe Martin? And are Savage and the Lizzard okay?

smuggler
11-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Completely off-topic, but how does Elway's 1987 season make him MVP over Jerry Rice who averaged almost 2 TDs per game?

Sparkey
11-30-2020, 07:10 PM
I have always rooted for Encyclopedia St. Brown, so I was happy to see him make some nice catches. He also blocks well for a wide receiver. Maybe he'll gain more confidence in that knee as he plays more.

He should cut upfield instead of trying to run around people. He left some yards out there last night.

Sparkey
11-30-2020, 07:11 PM
Completely off-topic, but how does Elway's 1987 season make him MVP over Jerry Rice who averaged almost 2 TDs per game?

Has to be the pearly whites ? https://tebowheisman.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/elway-horsehead.jpg

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 07:25 PM
Any news on Kamel Toe Martin? And are Savage and the Lizzard okay?

:lol:

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 07:38 PM
Right now he's got more than that. Jones has become a very reliable receiver as well, and although he doesn't get the targets, Mercedes is very sure handed and someone who has to be accounted for in short yardage situations. I'd say there are at least five, probably 6 guys the D has to worry about.

Yeah. There are a lot of options to do different things.

I think when healthy you go Adams/Lizard/Tonyan all of the time. They just kind of do everything. The latter two even pass protect edge rushers with some effectiveness.

MVS forces deep help on a long field (opening up Jones)
Mercedes is a nice option to trot out on a team loaded with practice squad front 7 players. Force their worst players on the field and run down their throat. Also short yardage
Ervin is a nice gimmick
EQ gives the top 3 rest and gives you the option to spread out a defense that's thin on defensive backs

Sternberger is kind of garbage to me at this point. He run blocks alright, but pass blocks like a 6th grader. If you're gonna have a tight end on the field that you cant count on for protection when a blitzer comes, you might as well have a WR. He should spend 10 hours a day all off season learning pass protection.

Malik is too green. Shep sucks.

But we have a bunch of solid options right now and personel to attack all situations and styles of defense.

And obviously both running backs can catch and run routes. So its really a pick your poison situation. And Rodgers is making teams pay for whatever they choose.

George Cumby
11-30-2020, 07:41 PM
I thought I saw Lazard back on the field.

It was a hard hit but solidly into the rib cage, looked like he just got the wind knocked out of him.

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 07:44 PM
I thought I saw Lazard back on the field.

It was a hard hit but solidly into the rib cage, looked like he just got the wind knocked out of him.

Yeah. He was back and I thought the same thing about the wind knocked out. I had ribs cracked and knocked out but not like that. I got crunched on the ground by a lot of weight. That a big hit but I don't see guys really injured from.that

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 09:52 PM
Report now is that Linsley expected to be out 3-6 weeks with sprained MCL.

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 11:40 PM
Report now is that Linsley expected to be out 3-6 weeks with sprained MCL.

Hmmmmm...... Not the worst thing. Would like to have him back at least one game before post season to knock off the rust.

smuggler
12-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Certainly better than having surgery and rehab. If not for Green Bay (in the case Linsley leaves for free agency), then at least for Linsley himself. If he's not doing work for us next year, at least he can get paid and get us the best possible comp pick!

Joemailman
12-01-2020, 01:25 PM
nm

Fritz
12-01-2020, 03:18 PM
He should cut upfield instead of trying to run around people. He left some yards out there last night.

He probably did. I'm wondering if he's still nervous about the knee and trying to avoid contact. I seem to recall that in his first year he just turned upfield and ran after a catch.

To me, he's got that tall, rangy James Lofton look about him. I think it's mostly about gaining confidence in his knee and in his ability. I'm not saying he'll be James Lofton, just that I think the guy could be a very useful #2 or #3 guy if he gets that confidence. I'm hoping he can build on Sunday night's performance. And I like that he's not afraid to block.