PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds, Bears:

George Cumby
11-30-2020, 01:11 PM
Studs:

O-Line, especially Leeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!
Run game
Rodgers
Preston Smith
Tonyan

Duds:

*sigh* defense, at times. Still looks like keystone cops on the back-end. But two picks. But it's Trubisky. But all those rush yards. But you take away that 57 yarder and the bears got 67 on the ground. Fuck, I don't know.

texaspackerbacker
11-30-2020, 02:23 PM
Studs: Everyone named Aaron, the whole O Line (and I very seldom say that), Tonyan and Lazard, Adams too, of course, even though by his normal standard, he didn't have a good game, MVS for making everybody else better hahahaha. Seriously, concentrating coverage on him opened up everybody else. Jamal Williams was a stud too, although clearly not an adequate fulltime replacement for Jones. Boyle also for being a stat whore - not wanting that minus one yard on his two kneel downs hahahaha. On D, Savage played like the flashes we saw last season for the first time this year. Billy Winn in minimal snaps looked damn good again.

I'm not gonna call Preston a stud, as he was just adequate - as opposed to all the other games where he was way less than adequate. Gary too was good, but I'd say not good enough for stud status.

Duds: Kirksey was absolutely the pits - beat just about every time over the middle, showing no strength at all against the run, barely able to wrestle down a smallish RB after giving him several additional yards. King was better than usual, but not by nearly enough to rise above dud status. He got be a lot of times and missed tackles, not to mention missing an easy pick. Disagree if you like, but I have a higher opinion of Josh Jackson than him. No other duds, but a lot of mediocre play on defense.

LaFleur was a coaching stud, and Pettine a coaching dud, but then neither of those things is any big news.

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 03:26 PM
I'm not gonna go full on stud status here, but it's nice to see growth from Gary, Savage, Preston (possibly having finally played himself into shape), EQ, Tonyan, Runyan and Lizard.

Something kind of stud worthy, MVS is a blocker and deep decoy now. No underneath targets. Just gotta make sure they take a couple shots at him every so often to make the decoy believable

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 03:27 PM
King/Savage/Sullivan all growing. Gary and Preston getting better up front. There is some hope for playing our best ball down the stretch

Harlan Huckleby
11-30-2020, 04:22 PM
King/Savage/Sullivan all growing. Gary and Preston getting better up front. There is some hope for playing our best ball down the stretch

The defense was evenly matched with a really inept Bears offense.

Even with some more improvement they aren't close to being able to advance deep in the playoffs.

The last year the Packers won the SB the defense sucked through first 8 games. But that turn around was a miracle for the century.

HarveyWallbangers
11-30-2020, 05:10 PM
Kirksey struggled in coverage, but I have to say that it looked like Martin screwed up on the long run by Montgomery. There were already two Packers filling the gaps on the right side of the line. I'm pretty sure Martin should have covered the middle gap.

https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/1333225818449989634

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 05:21 PM
The defense was evenly matched with a really inept Bears offense.

Even with some more improvement they aren't close to being able to advance deep in the playoffs.

The last year the Packers won the SB the defense sucked through first 8 games. But that turn around was a miracle for the century.

Fair enough. I always lean on the side of optimism I guess. Young guys get better. Health and continuity lead to teams peaking at the right time. I like to think about how it can work not how it can go wrong. As far as realism, that's overrated. Excitement and disappointment are far more exhilarating than blah nothingness and complaining for me.

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 05:29 PM
Fair enough. I always lean on the side of optimism I guess. Young guys get better. Health and continuity lead to teams peaking at the right time. I like to think about how it can work not how it can go wrong. As far as realism, that's overrated. Excitement and disappointment are far more exhilarating than blah nothingness and complaining for me.

They've played 11 games though. Seems unlikely they will undergo a major transformation in the last 5. However, they are starting to produce some turnovers. If they can keep doing that, maybe the offense can carry them.

The 2010 defense turned things around when they got healthy. This defense is pretty healthy now, but still has holes.

Zool
11-30-2020, 09:19 PM
Kirksey struggled in coverage, but I have to say that it looked like Martin screwed up on the long run by Montgomery. There were already two Packers filling the gaps on the right side of the line. I'm pretty sure Martin should have covered the middle gap.

Where the hell is Barnes? Still Covid?

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 09:23 PM
Where the hell is Barnes? Still Covid?

Yes. But he left last game he played in due to calf strain. No idea how that is.

Zool
11-30-2020, 09:31 PM
Yes. But he left last game he played in due to calf strain. No idea how that is.

He hasn't been on the injury report that I have noticed. Am I just missing it?

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 09:38 PM
He hasn't been on the injury report that I have noticed. Am I just missing it?

Players on the Covid list don't appear on injury report.

run pMc
12-01-2020, 08:02 AM

Yeah, either Martin or Amos. I get mad looking at the formation pre-snap: they are basically daring them to run. I'm guessing they are lined up that way to show an overload blitz on the strong side?

smuggler
12-01-2020, 11:47 AM
I have to say that it looked like Martin screwed up on the long run by Montgomery. There were already two Packers filling the gaps on the right side of the line. I'm pretty sure Martin should have covered the middle gap.

Cute how the professional football writer doesn't understand which player(s) goofed on that play and criticized Kirksey. Always gotta be careful when you tweet on twitter you aren't being a twat.

Joemailman
12-01-2020, 05:00 PM
Cute how the professional football writer doesn't understand which player(s) goofed on that play and criticized Kirksey. Always gotta be careful when you tweet on twitter you aren't being a twat.

Well, he's a self-described Bears analyst so...

smuggler
12-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Studs: Packors
Duds: Cubs

https://twitter.com/nathanmarzion/status/1333571854284566534

George Cumby
12-01-2020, 06:32 PM
That was pretty good.

smuggler
12-01-2020, 09:06 PM
The one after the Saints game was pretty good, too.

Another Stud? Trevor Davis, for being good enough to net us the 6th round pick that we used to draft Jonny Runyan.

RashanGary
12-01-2020, 10:01 PM
The one after the Saints game was pretty good, too.

Another Stud? Trevor Davis, for being good enough to net us the 6th round pick that we used to draft Jonny Runyan.

Woot!

Sparkey
12-01-2020, 10:36 PM
Runyan looked really good. The line that played Sunday night is the line I expect to see next year.

run pMc
12-02-2020, 07:37 AM
Yeah, Rodgers' jersey was clean. Don't think he was sacked, and barely hit. OL played really well against a very good front. In two weeks they've put up a lot of points against a pair of good defenses. Runyan looks like a keeper, and Jenkins looks like a pro bowler.