PDA

View Full Version : Gutes first draft (2018)

RashanGary
12-04-2020, 06:00 AM
It’s been three years. We’re getting a decent feel.

Jaire (looks to be a 5 time probowl, packer HOF type player
MVS has over 1500 yards with 14 receptions going over 40 yards.
EQ looks like he could be a solid small second contract guy if he can get healthy

Special teams
Josh Jackson
Oren Burks
JK Scott (disappointing so far)
Hunter Bradley

Lizard was brought to the practice squad this year as well

It looks like a fairly average draft. You’d like at least one other 2nd contract guy, but jaire is so good, it kind of makes up for it.

All in all, you want more. We had lost several key personnel guys leading into Gutes transition into the top decision maker in Green Bay. I don’t want to say he gets a pass for having a less than stellar first draft, but he should be hitting his stride in the coming years.

There’s nothing to think he can’t do it just yet, but not enough to say he’s great yet either. In typical RG fashion, I’m hopeful that he can iron out the wrinkles in the process and get it rolling!

RashanGary
12-04-2020, 06:07 AM
Gary, Savage, Elgton and Keke seem like a better start to his second draft. Obviously it’s still early. The end of next year we can get a clearer picture of that, but Elgton looks like a likely pro bowler some day. Savage has started early and hasn’t been bad. It usually takes secondary guys a couple years to really develop that quick trigger and he does seem to be coming on. Pro bowl is definitely not out of the question. Gary is obviously coming on and keke too. That could be 4 long term, quality packers with two that seem very possible for pro bowl years as they enter their primes and no saying on the other two just yet.

Upnorth
12-04-2020, 06:11 AM
I believe you are undervaluing Alexander. He is something special. Mvs and Lazard will both be in the league for at leastv4 to 6 more years baring injury. Eq is gonna be gone imo. Can't hold a spot for a guy who can't even make it on the field.
Also raven Greene was that year. He is pretty good.
Because jaire is at a premium position I like this draft. A star
Cb is crazy important. One more starter and it would have been a great draft.

bobblehead
12-04-2020, 08:36 AM
It was a successful draft by 2 metrics. Got a shutdown corner, while acquiring draft capital (we traded back, then up losing 2 4ths and acquiring a first).

MVS for a 5th rounder was a solid pick, but I measure a draft as 2 starters, 1 solid rotational guy and 1 more contributor. This draft is a failure. Compare it to all, but maybe 1 or 2 or TT drafts and its sub par. I think Gutes reaches for athleticism way too much. I think he had an influence on TT in the later years as TT went from drafting football players to athletes later.

The second draft looks way better. Elgton is a genuine star, Gary is starter level (although at 12 overall he should be more advanced), Savage is a lower end starter with room to improve yet. Keke is starting to contribute as a rotational guy. Sternberger is a contributor rotation guy if he can stay healthy.

2020 will bend on Love. Sadly most of us hope not to see Love play meaningful minutes for a few more years. Dillon must just suck cuz I can't think of any other reason we haven't seen him on short yardage (and now he missed time for Covid.) Martin shows promise, but hasn't been able to stay on the field. I like Garvin as a Fackrell type guy who might carve out a solid career on ST and rotational time. Runyan has been solid for a rookie. Can't grade it yet for sure.

run pMc
12-04-2020, 08:45 AM
It's a bit of an underwhelming draft. Jaire is a great pick, that they were able to trade down and get a R1 the next year boosts that grade even more. The rest of the picks are a mixed bag.
Josh Jackson has been a disappointment overall, but he's played ok while King was out this year and gets another chance. Seems like he needs snaps and confidence, but right now King is a better CB.
Burks is a dud on defense but a good ST player; you can find those guys in UDFA.
J'Mon Moore is gone, MVS is a decent #4 WR, and has had some good games so for a R5 pick it's not bad. The jury is still out on EQ - I think he's been hurt so much it's hard to evaluate him yet.
JK Scott had some games where he was a weapon, and others where he was a liability.

Probably like anywhere from a C- to a C+ draft. They got a star at an important position and a few replaceable players but not much else. You'd like to see one more starter at least. I guess if you count Raven Greene you can call it a C+. I've been slowly slipping off the Raven Greene bandwagon - he's hurt a lot and he misses too many tackles, and I think they can do better this off season.

gbgary
12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
over all...considering where they're drafting i think he's done pretty well. the secondary is much improved. we have one of the best and deepest O-lines. i also remember seeing that TT wasn't really doing the picks in 2017. who took the lead in that room? i bet it was Gute.

texaspackerbacker
12-04-2020, 12:13 PM
All in all, Gutekunst has been barely decent - about Ted Thompson level - in his drafts. It is his free agent signing that sets him apart, and even they are not looking near as good as they looked last season.

I disagree that this year's draft depends on Love. I firmly believe the team will retain Aaron Rodgers long term and let Love go - preferably sooner than later, taking way less than a first rounder for him but hopefully something. The rest of this year's draft is not much. Runyon shows promise. I don't much care for Dillon, and I'm pretty sure Deguara will end up a bust.

We have found a true superstar in Alexander, and I actually like Jackson better than Kevin King. MVS IMO should get better and better for the next few years. I also have hope yet for St. Brown. Jenkins also seems to be star quality, and Savage should be a long term quality starter.

So I'd give Gutekunst B+ for '18 and '19, and a D for 2020, which I guess averages out to about a C.

Joemailman
12-04-2020, 12:46 PM
2018 is still a hard one to judge. The one thing we know is that Alexander was a great pick. He impacts every game because he forces opposing offenses to adjust to try to avoid him. Jackson looked like a bust but may be a serviceable starter. Defense did not suffer when he had to replace King. I still think ESB has a chance to be a legit #3 if he can stay healthy, which would be a steal for a 6th round pick. MVS was well worth a 5th round pick. I rate it a C with potential for more. 5 of the picks have contributed nothing, so that drags it down.

I'm inclined to love the 2019 draft. I think Jenkins, Gary and Savage are all potential if not likely Pro Bowlers. Dexter Williams is the only pick that may be a non-contributor. And I'm not even sure about him.

It's impossible to evaluate 2020 because we've seen so little of the 1st 3 picks. The only thing I can say for sure is that Runyan looks like a 6th round steal. Martin would seem a solid pick if he can shake the injury bug.

run pMc
12-05-2020, 03:24 PM
All in all, Gutekunst has been barely decent - about Ted Thompson level - in his drafts.

Early TT or late TT? Early TT was dynamite. He started to lose his fastball, or some scout with iffy skills had his ear, later. That 2015 draft...woof.

texaspackerbacker
12-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Average of all their drafts in both cases

Bretsky
12-05-2020, 08:50 PM

EQ looks like he could be a solid small second contract guy if he can get healthy

Special teams
Josh Jackson
Oren Burks
JK Scott (disappointing so far)
Hunter Bradley

Lizard was brought to the practice squad this year as well

It looks like a fairly average draft. You’d like at least one other 2nd contract guy, but jaire is so good, it kind of makes up for it.

All in all, you want more. We had lost several key personnel guys leading into Gutes transition into the top decision maker in Green Bay. I don’t want to say he gets a pass for having a less than stellar first draft, but he should be hitting his stride in the coming years.

There’s nothing to think he can’t do it just yet, but not enough to say he’s great yet either. In typical RG fashion, I’m hopeful that he can iron out the wrinkles in the process and get it rolling!

ALEXANDER IS A LEGITIMATE STUD
Josh Jackson is a J.A.G
MVS has been a disappointment overall but the jury is still out and he might turn out good
Owen Burks sucks
E.Q. has been a J.A.G
Who knows about JK Scott
Hunter Bradley.....hope all is going well where you are

Bretsky
12-05-2020, 08:52 PM
Gary, Savage, Elgton and Keke seem like a better start to his second draft. Obviously it’s still early. The end of next year we can get a clearer picture of that, but Elgton looks like a likely pro bowler some day. Savage has started early and hasn’t been bad. It usually takes secondary guys a couple years to really develop that quick trigger and he does seem to be coming on. Pro bowl is definitely not out of the question. Gary is obviously coming on and keke too. That could be 4 long term, quality packers with two that seem very possible for pro bowl years as they enter their primes and no saying on the other two just yet.

I still think in the end Gary will flash at times but disappoint overall
I like both Savage and Elgin
Keke is flashing and might be ok

smuggler
12-05-2020, 09:33 PM
Imagine drafting a long snapper. Why didn't they just call me? I'm 6'2" 240.

RashanGary
12-05-2020, 09:35 PM

That was sketchy. But he is leading the probowl voting

Joemailman
12-06-2020, 07:46 AM

You're needed too much here.

Zool
12-06-2020, 12:11 PM
ALEXANDER IS A LEGITIMATE STUD
Josh Jackson is a J.A.G
MVS has been a disappointment overall but the jury is still out and he might turn out good
Owen Burks sucks
E.Q. has been a J.A.G
Who knows about JK Scott
Hunter Bradley.....hope all is going well where you are

I’m mostly in agreement with you except 2. Jackson sucks IMO. His speed is so suspect, he always plays 8 yards off the ball. Teams were getting 6-7 yards at will on him. Even 3rd and short he plays off coverage. King being 3 yards closer to the LOS makes him infinitely more valuable.

MVS as a 5th rounder is good value. We just want him to be better because he flashes talent and crazy speed. Now if he were say, a second rounder (Jackson) you’d expect him to have better ball skills. There’s a reason he was available in the 5th.

Jaire
12-22-2020, 11:18 AM

EQ looks like he could be a solid small second contract guy if he can get healthy.....

Have to include Savage. Very savy move. The 2019 draft class was one of the deepest I remember. 2018 was a weak class. 2021 is looking to be deep. 2020 was another bad draft class it seems. Getting all the late round talent this year was very good. If Dillon turns out to be what MLF wants, I will be happy with it.

Jackson and Burks look like busts. But Savage and Jaire still make it an above average class for GB. Overall, I'm pleased with Gute and still could become thrilled-- certainly better than TT's last years.

Jenkins and Jaire are perennial all pro. Gary amd Savage could join them. Z just got his 1st probowl. Amos and Tonyan were deserving of a probowl. With so few high picks, this is very good drafting and FA. Very hard to knock the FO except for not pushing harder for some DT help.

As a final note, it's real important to go back and look at previous entire draft classes (as a whole) to see how good they were. And keep in mind how impossible it is to get play makers when you bottom draft yearly. See what other FOs do. GB is still top 5 easy.

(Edited to correct the years.)

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 06:44 PM
Those 1st 3 picks of the 2019 draft (Gary/Savage/Jenkins) are looking crazy good. Keke in the 5th round is a solid pick as well. If Sternberger can turn things around health-wise, this could rank with TT's best drafts.