Hard to tell off of limited data.

Fill in the blanks, please.

Joemailman
12-06-2020, 07:44 PM
Studs:

Keke - 2 sacks

Gary - 1.5 sacks.

Duds:

Scott - 2 bad punts, one of which went for a TD because he couldn't make a tackle.

Placekicking unit - Not sure who's at fault, but missed XP's need to stop.

Packers crowd - Could barely hear them.

RashanGary
12-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Lazard and EQ keep looking more athletic and sudden coming off of their respected recoveries. Tonyan keeps looking more and more real with every game he stacks. MVS is blocking and getting open down the field..... Jones is obviously a really good player. The whole offense is showing signs of having it all come together. There is a really good chance that this turns into a special run, lead by the offense.

Savage is starting to round that corner into becoming an upper tier player. Preston looks better and better every week. Gary is playing well. And keke. The defense still has a chance to play their best ball down the stretch.

HarveyWallbangers
12-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Studs:

Keke - 2 sacks

Gary - 1.5 sacks.

Duds:

Scott - 2 bad punts, one of which went for a TD because he couldn't make a tackle.

Placekicking unit - Not sure who's at fault, but missed XP's need to stop.

What was wrong with the punt on the TD? It was long (53 yards) and appeared to have good hang time.

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2020, 09:16 PM

I sure prefer the packer fake crowds to the vikings. The Vikings keep it so loud that the announcers have to scream all the time. So dumb and irritating. I think I read somewhere that the noise is being pumped into stadium.

call_me_ishmael
12-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Matt LaFleur appears to be one of the better coaches in the NFL. I was skeptical at first but he has really impressed me.

run pMc
12-06-2020, 10:50 PM
Studs:
Rodgers, Adams, Tonyan
OL - PHI has a very good DL
CBs - helped the pass rush
Aaron Jones took a while to get going but had some good runs in the 2nd half; that 4Q dagger TD will skew his stats. The run game did well enough to keep the Eagles D honest and for play action to work.
The Iggles' TEs weren't a factor.

Duds:
Special teams
MVS inability to track and catch a deep ball. He can block though.
Lambeau turf - way too many players slipping on it.
1st half penalties

The pass rush gets mixed results -- they did a nice job on Wentz, but took them a while to figure they needed a little mush-rush to hem Jalen Hurts in or he'd take off running.
With a few exceptions, the run defense didn't get destroyed.

texaspackerbacker
12-06-2020, 11:43 PM
Basically what everybody else said.

I'd say the pass rush helped the DBs, not vice versa.

There are so many excellent kickers around the league - they apparently are not that hard to find - that I really hope we save some money in this cap lowered off-season by replacing Crosby with some big leg guy for less money - kinda like Young Fat Ho or whatever is name is with the Falcons. Well over 100 major colleges plus numerous smaller programs means at least 30 or 40 kickers coming out of college every year. We ought to be able to find one or several who can do as well as Crosby for a fraction of the money.

Joemailman
12-07-2020, 12:50 AM
What was wrong with the punt on the TD? It was long (53 yards) and appeared to have good hang time.

LaFleur said "It wasn't one of His best punts but...". I suspect the direction of the punt wasn't what they had planned for.

texaspackerbacker
12-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Ditto what I said about kickers for finding a better punter - maybe one with enough athleticism to actually make a tackle instead of looking like a damn stick figure out there.

RashanGary
12-07-2020, 09:42 AM
Packers offense right now is first in points and second in yards. The defense is 15th in points and 11th in yards but trending the right way.

Packers are definitely in the small group of contenders this year.

KYPack
12-07-2020, 10:59 AM
I got a giant dud for ya. Our ST coach, Shawn Mennenga is doing a shit job. Twice this year,I've seen some of the worst lane integrity in punt coverage that I've ever seen. Vs Jacksonville this year a guy got a 91 yard return for a TD. During that return, the GBP punt team had 5 players all in the same lane. Stay in your freakin lane and drive the returner to the middle of the field. That's tough to do when you have busted coverage in 4 lanes! The fullback calls the punt coverage and everybody rolls to their lanes to cover. The punter tracks to the ball and is the safety. Another problem is that our punter is the most gutless SOB this side of Garo Ypremian. I would take this kid aside and teach him his job when a returner is flying down that boundary. The safety shouldn't really have to make a play, but when he does, he has to lay out and be willing to eat some cleats and get a mouthful of grass. Scott is a card carrying coward who hasn't punted well. Those boundary lanes are to be defended at all costs. It rips the heart out of the punt coverage boys when they see that their safety is such a yellow bastard.

Joemailman
12-07-2020, 11:16 AM
I got a giant dud for ya. Our ST coach, Shawn Mennenga is doing a shit job. Twice this year,I've seen some of the worst lane integrity in punt coverage that I've ever seen. Vs Jacksonville this year a guy got a 91 yard return for a TD. During that return, the GBP punt team had 5 players all in the same lane. Stay in your freakin lane and drive the returner to the middle of the field. That's tough to do when you have busted coverage in 4 lanes! The fullback calls the punt coverage and everybody rolls to their lanes to cover. The punter tracks to the ball and is the safety. Another problem is that our punter is the most gutless SOB this side of Garo Ypremian. I would take this kid aside and teach him his job when a returner is flying down that boundary. The safety shouldn't really have to make a play, but when he does, he has to lay out and be willing to eat some cleats and get a mouthful of grass. Scott is a card carrying coward who hasn't punted well. Those boundary lanes are to be defended at all costs. It rips the heart out of the punt coverage boys when they see that their safety is such a yellow bastard.

I think this is why you shouldn't use a middle round draft pick on a punter. Too many great college punters can't make the transition to the NFL. Plus, as you say he doesn't want to tackle. Hell, all he had to do was push the guy out of bounds.

George Cumby
12-07-2020, 11:19 AM

But how do you REALLY feel?

Fritz
12-07-2020, 11:40 AM

I don't think the turnover on the bottom of the roster has been any more severe than in previous years - which would be the only excuse you could hand a ST coach.

If you can't teach professional players how to stay in a lane during kickoffs and punts, what are you doing coaching in the NFL??

To the "duds" list I want to list at least the one MVS play in which he let a long, long pass from Rodgers bounce right off his chest. Man, you can't trust that guy. I am still hoping Encyclopedia St. Brown will pass him on the depth chart.

On the other side, that offensive line keeps getting shuffled but they're keeping The Franchise upright. The run blocking wasn't great but good enough.

And Davante Adams is just a beast. A technician and a beast.

Tonyan also getting the hang of things now.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-07-2020, 12:16 PM
It rips the heart out of the punt coverage boys when they see that their safety is such a yellow bastard.

I've seen hip hop safety Taylor Rapp excel on the punt coverage team, so he ain’t no bastard. “Young Fat Ho”, as Ole Tex likes to say, is a legitimate NFL kicker with onside Kung Fu for the Falconers, so he, too, ain’t no bastard.

Wait, you’re talking about Scott? He’s definitely a sub par punter, but no fucking way is he “yellow.”

Btw, “Yellow” by Coldplay is arguably the greatest song of all time. Arguably b/c “Clocks” by Coldplay is great, too.

Joemailman
12-07-2020, 12:26 PM
I don't think the turnover on the bottom of the roster has been any more severe than in previous years - which would be the only excuse you could hand a ST coach.

If you can't teach professional players how to stay in a lane during kickoffs and punts, what are you doing coaching in the NFL??

To the "duds" list I want to list at least the one MVS play in which he let a long, long pass from Rodgers bounce right off his chest. Man, you can't trust that guy. I am still hoping Encyclopedia St. Brown will pass him on the depth chart.

On the other side, that offensive line keeps getting shuffled but they're keeping The Franchise upright. The run blocking wasn't great but good enough.

And Davante Adams is just a beast. A technician and a beast.

Tonyan also getting the hang of things now.

ESB may start to see an increase in his snaps. But if he wants to pass MVS on the depth chart, he'll need to become the type of blocker MVS is. Jones doesn't run for a 77 yard TD without MVS' interference.

Tony Oday
12-07-2020, 12:33 PM
Good Ole Bob Tonyan, man I am glad we got that guy.

MVS still can't catch and its starting to get sad. Lazard is a legit #2, Adams is ELITE. St Brown could be something if he can stay of the Injury Report. Gary is going to be a super stud, Preston is gone after this season, you can get his production from a cheaper option. Clark is ridiculously over paid and proves it week after week. JA is an elite CB.

This is a Super Bowl Team.

SMBASS
12-07-2020, 12:44 PM
JA is a good CB but what in the hell were he and Savage doing on that TD pass from Hurt to Ward? 4th and 18 and neither one of them was within-3-4 yards of Ward when he caught the pass. Letting that kind of shit happen when you're playing soft prevent D is maddening. Ward is fast but Savage and JA aren't exactly slow either.

CaptainKickass
12-07-2020, 01:16 PM
ESB may start to see an increase in his snaps.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis!
A football player named after beer...

https://www.beeroftheday.com/photos/redhook_esb-455_0.jpg

texaspackerbacker
12-07-2020, 01:16 PM

A big hell yeah to that. Even Mason Crosby coulda gotten Reagor on that punt return - although he probably would have missed the following week recovering.

BTW, nice use of colorful language from the guy who got me to quit using the f word (the 3 letter one) hahahaha.

run pMc
12-07-2020, 01:36 PM
It was a tough ball but ESB let one go between his hands. I like him and would like to see him get healthy and find out if he can be productive. I'm just not 100% sure he's that much better than MVS.
Both those guys are like #4 WRs. They are lucky to have Tonyan and Lazard.

As for JK Scott, Jalen Reagor juked him similar to how Cole did but not as badly. He's terrible at tackling. Shawn Meningitis should be on the hot seat. They aren't doing anything crazy with their scheme - it's pretty basic to minimize confusion and mistakes, and they're happening anyway. Wouldn't shock me if they bring in serious competition at P next year. Scott's been all over the board as a punter. You can't have a guy who outkicks his coverage with a booming punt one time and shanks a 29 yarder the next.

As far as Crosby goes, he's been pretty clutch the last few seasons. You don't give up on a guy who can kick 48 yarders in Lambeau swirling December winds for some guy out of Florida A&M unless he's basically Legatron. Ask the Bears and Vikings how important a kicker is... they've had recent seasons end because of the kicker. Besides, the Philly kicker was off too.

KYPack
12-07-2020, 01:53 PM
A big hell yeah to that. Even Mason Crosby coulda gotten Reagor on that punt return - although he probably would have missed the following week recovering.

BTW, nice use of colorful language from the guy who got me to quit using the f word (the 3 letter one) hahahaha.

What's the 3 letter "F" word?

FOK?

GB-Brandon
12-07-2020, 02:18 PM
The “Big Dud” is starting to look like LaFluer’s play calling in tight spots. I’m starting too notice that when momentum swings which it does in the NFL quite a bit it affects LaFluer’s mental ability to be creative. He consistently gets scared and will rest his laurels on a handful of plays when things get tough.

Oh so predictable and this will not cut it!!! So Rodgers not only has to overcome talent deficiencies but now it’s become crystal clear he also has to overcome LaFluers LIMP play calling under pressure!!!

GB-Brandon
12-07-2020, 02:30 PM
Sean McVay is a far better play caller then LaFluer. It’s not even Close actually.

Once again we’re running around with Jordan knock offs!!!

GB-Brandon
12-07-2020, 02:38 PM
I don’t know how Aaron Rodgers isn’t the Hands down MVP this year!!!!! He has done so much more then Mahommes with less on nearly every level. To not give it to Rodgers at this point would be the biggest steal in modern day history!!!

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Sean McVay is a far better play caller then LaFluer. It’s not even Close actually.

Once again we’re running around with Jordan knock offs!!!

Please, give specifics to support your argument.

GB-Brandon
12-07-2020, 07:03 PM

Watch the Rams play. McCay runs much more exotic looks and concepts. While it’s not completely fair to Lafluer based on personnel he has compared to McVay he still needs to get better in “Critical Situatuons”. He still has Aaron Rodgers. Adams and Jones are Legit with some complimentary pieces in Tonyan and Lazard. I’d love to see T. Austin used to expand the playbook as well. We’ll see.

When we “Had To Have Plays” against the Bucc’s, Colts, Queens and even Eagles I’m noticing a disturbing trend. Like I’ve posted when things get tough and we need a big play I see a desperation to run to a handfull of plays. I get having your “Bread and Butter Plays” but good teams know this and can stop this. If we are sitting in front of the TV knowing it’s coming then I’m sure any competent NFL defense does as well.

As I posted against the Seahawks in the playoffs last year LaFluer schemed and drew up some new shit that was rather impressive that was used when we NEEDED A BIG PLAY. I haven’t seen it as much this year. All I’ve seen is pitch plays and WR screens and 1 on 1 lobs. Maybe an out route here and there during these “Critical Situatuons”

Go back and look when we needed a big play against the teams I listed. It’s gonna need to get better if we’re gonna have a chance in critical situations.

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2020, 07:22 PM
So the argument is "just watch". Gotcha.

George Cumby
12-07-2020, 07:51 PM

Don't feed the trolls.

Last year it was the numerology. He promised to deliver and then, amazingly, didn't.

Then he predicted who was going to be in the Owl and who was going to win it. Guaranteed. Neither of his picks made it to the Owl.

Don't feed the trolls.

MadtownPacker
12-07-2020, 09:05 PM
The Rams coach? Same one who got embarrassed in the big game? Same one who’s team couldn’t even score a TD? I can win this argument easily just by saying, Lafluer would not be able to have worse showings if he tried.

GB-Brandon
12-07-2020, 09:52 PM
The Rams coach? Same one who got embarrassed in the big game? Same one who’s team couldn’t even score a TD? I can win this argument easily just by saying, Lafluer would not be able to have worse showings if he tried.

That was against Bill Belichick.

texaspackerbacker
12-07-2020, 11:35 PM
What's the 3 letter "F" word?

FOK?

Weren't you the one who complained that I referred to certain homosexuals as that? If not, let me know, and I'll start calling them that again hahahahaha.

Joemailman
12-08-2020, 08:32 AM
Darn. Almost had him!

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/11/15/PPAN/a218a059-542c-4ca5-a20b-24017cbdbb2b-APTOPIX_Jaguars_Packers_Football.jpg?width=660&height=441&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

KYPack
12-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Weren't you the one who complained that I referred to certain homosexuals as that? If not, let me know, and I'll start calling them that again hahahahaha.

Nope. Twasn't me. I'd suspect it was one of the good posters with Metro tendencies. Sounds like Rand's MO to me. I was one of the chorus that got on your ass about posting bad about Bahk. Now that that deed is done, you've toned down your bizarre rhetoric on that front. I finally figured out why you went off on that tangent. You didn't want all that cap going to an OLineman bc it will cost u some key players. And we will lose solid guys this off-season due to some cap misery. You can't cook the cap. It's real and is the rule. People who think you can cook the cap are called coaches. And they are 100% wrong. Ask Jeff Fisher and Bill O'Brian. The cap is like the grim reaper. It will find you and kill your job if you try to "cook the cap".

CaptainKickass
12-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Darn. Almost had him!

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/11/15/PPAN/a218a059-542c-4ca5-a20b-24017cbdbb2b-APTOPIX_Jaguars_Packers_Football.jpg?width=660&height=441&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

There's several kinds of defense:

Pass defense
Run defense
And of course the time tested classic RUN-AWAY DEFENSE where if you see the ball... you run away!

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/57/2020/12/USATSI_15277580.jpg?resize=1024,734

Fritz
12-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Ditto what I said about kickers for finding a better punter - maybe one with enough athleticism to actually make a tackle instead of looking like a damn stick figure out there.

JK Scott went hiking during the bye week:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3oxRmGNqKwCzJ0AwPC" width="480" height="336" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/afv-funny-fail-lol-3oxRmGNqKwCzJ0AwPC">via GIPHY</a></p>

Smidgeon
12-08-2020, 12:10 PM

Yep, that should be the #1 characteristic of the punter: the athletic ability to make a tackle in space on a twitchy runner who is capable of juking CBs out of their shoes. Got it.

Sparkey
12-08-2020, 01:14 PM
He didn't have to make a tackle. All he had to do was get to the sideline and force the runner back into the field. Instead in the subtle fake inside he bit and let the sideline open.

The failure was the kick, the rest was a result of the original error.

texaspackerbacker
12-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Nope. Twasn't me. I'd suspect it was one of the good posters with Metro tendencies. Sounds like Rand's MO to me. I was one of the chorus that got on your ass about posting bad about Bahk. Now that that deed is done, you've toned down your bizarre rhetoric on that front. I finally figured out why you went off on that tangent. You didn't want all that cap going to an OLineman bc it will cost u some key players. And we will lose solid guys this off-season due to some cap misery. You can't cook the cap. It's real and is the rule. People who think you can cook the cap are called coaches. And they are 100% wrong. Ask Jeff Fisher and Bill O'Brian. The cap is like the grim reaper. It will find you and kill your job if you try to "cook the cap".

I'm still not overly thrilled about investing so much in Bakhtiari. I think he is one of MANY who have gotten their reputation from the greatness of Aaron Rodgers. After seeing the terms of the deal, though, I'm not gonna complain too much, not unless they fail to re-sign Aaron Jones and it becomes apparent that Bakh's contract is the reason.

You actually CAN "cook the cap". The Bakhtiari deal was an example of that. I'm not talking illegal; I'm talking about structuring and restructuring contracts as needed. Sherman did a good job of that, and Ted did not - IMO.

We undoubtedly will lose some players due to the cap decreasing. The trick is which ones to lose. There are plenty who make a lot and IMO aren't worth it. Preston and maybe even Zadarius Smith, Mason Crosby, Rick Wagner, probably Billy Turner, Kevin King, possibly Jamal Williams, although I think we can keep him, and Linsley, who I have kinda soured on the necessity of paying big money.

KYPack
12-08-2020, 09:06 PM
I'm still not overly thrilled about investing so much in Bakhtiari. I think he is one of MANY who have gotten their reputation from the greatness of Aaron Rodgers. After seeing the terms of the deal, though, I'm not gonna complain too much, not unless they fail to re-sign Aaron Jones and it becomes apparent that Bakh's contract is the reason.

You actually CAN "cook the cap". The Bakhtiari deal was an example of that. I'm not talking illegal; I'm talking about structuring and restructuring contracts as needed. Sherman did a good job of that, and Ted did not - IMO.
t
We undoubtedly will lose some players due to the cap decreasing. The trick is which ones to lose. There are plenty who make a lot and IMO aren't worth it. Preston and maybe even Zadarius Smith, Mason Crosby, Rick Wagner, probably Billy Turner, Kevin King, possibly Jamal Williams, although I think we can keep him, and Linsley, who I have kinda soured on the necessity of paying big money.

The cap is the cap. You can tweak it, of course. But the notion that you can always cook the cap to keep any player you want is absurd. Talk to Belichick if you don't believe me. Sherman was adept at managing the cap? I believe the correct term is inept. His management of contracts and the cap is what got him fired.

texaspackerbacker
12-09-2020, 02:22 AM
Not to go back and re-argue the Sherman era, but I liked the way he skated on the edge with regard to the cap. If that's why he got fired, then those behind firing him were wrong - which they were IMO.

The main point of what I said was about prioritizing. I grudgingly go along with the idea that the cap is gonna cause some sacrifices next season. I just want them to make damn sure none of those sacrifices is named Aaron. It wouldn't bother me if the name is Smith, though.

smuggler
12-09-2020, 05:34 AM
Sherman's cap ideology is why life sucked so much in 2005 WHILE paying Favre like an elite QB.

Fritz
12-09-2020, 11:23 AM
Not to go back and re-argue the Sherman era, but I liked the way he skated on the edge with regard to the cap. If that's why he got fired, then those behind firing him were wrong - which they were IMO.

The main point of what I said was about prioritizing. I grudgingly go along with the idea that the cap is gonna cause some sacrifices next season. I just want them to make damn sure none of those sacrifices is named Aaron. It wouldn't bother me if the name is Smith, though.

How do you feel about "Jones"?

CaptainKickass
12-09-2020, 11:24 AM
The cap is the cap.

Aye.
I am what I am and that's all that me am!

Oh what?
Wrong Cap?
Sorry, my bad.

I have spoken

https://imgix.bustle.com/inverse/37/26/4c/ed/08b9/4356/8cd2/d3cb30a190a6.png?w=420&h=212.75793650793656&auto=format%2Ccompress&cs=srgb&q=70&fit=max&crop=faces

run pMc
12-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Cletidus Hunt and Joe Johnson contracts hurt. Not sure what you think about Mike McKenzie.
Oh, and Sherman's top 4 picks in 2004 were Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington and the infamous trade up for BJ Sander. This wish John Dorsey, Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider as his top 3 personnel guys, likely screaming in disgust.

Sherman the GM was a tire fire. His moves contributed to losing Rivera and Wahle and forced a lengthy OL rebuild for TT/M3.
As a coach Sherman wasn't terrible. He gave Favre too much leeway, and he was gutless on that 4th and 1 call vs. Philly, but generally he wasn't bad. He gets points (and cringes) for standing up to Sapp on the Clifton hit.

run pMc
12-09-2020, 11:33 AM
The OL GB rolled out vs. the Iggles was a surprise - many thought Runyan would start at LG, not Patrick. They held their own against a good front 4 in yet another lineup change.
At this point I gotta give Stenavich some credit for getting those guys ready. Also, Runyan looks like a good pick.

Zool
12-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Remember the 2005 draft when people were screaming to draft a WR or 3 for Favre in his twilight?

Oof that was a bad draft for pass catchers.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2005/draft.htm

smuggler
12-09-2020, 12:35 PM
The OL GB rolled out vs. the Iggles was a surprise - many thought Runyan would start at LG, not Patrick. They held their own against a good front 4 in yet another lineup change.
At this point I gotta give Stenavich some credit for getting those guys ready. Also, Runyan looks like a good pick.

Runyan is also just a rook and it may be more of a risk in terms of injury to send him into the fray. They'll do it if necessary, but I'm thinking they would like him to have another year of STR+CND. The other thing is he may be better suited to playing tackle. Might be harder for him to get low enough for effective run blocking. Looking at it again, though, I guess it may not be that big of a deal, since the difference in their heights is only about two inches.

Fritz
12-09-2020, 04:43 PM
Cletidus Hunt and Joe Johnson contracts hurt. Not sure what you think about Mike McKenzie.
Oh, and Sherman's top 4 picks in 2004 were Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington and the infamous trade up for BJ Sander. This wish John Dorsey, Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider as his top 3 personnel guys, likely screaming in disgust.

Sherman the GM was a tire fire. His moves contributed to losing Rivera and Wahle and forced a lengthy OL rebuild for TT/M3.
As a coach Sherman wasn't terrible. He gave Favre too much leeway, and he was gutless on that 4th and 1 call vs. Philly, but generally he wasn't bad. He gets points (and cringes) for standing up to Sapp on the Clifton hit.

Agreed. When Ron Wolf drafted a few corners in a row and sniffed out the stinker in the bunch, he just traded him away for an All Pro running back: https://journaltimes.com/packers-trade-vinson-draft-pick-to-seattle/article_8f1162db-3d35-52f6-a9d0-7a66c456ee41.html

Agree also on the gutless fourth and one call. Sure it didn't work in the first half, but you gotta go for the dagger. At that point in the fourth quarter, the Iggles' D was sucking wind. And everybody knew that Packer defense was, well, a Packer defense. Ahman Green was beating on that Philly defense like Adrian Peterson disciplining his child. The offensive line was having its way with the Eagle back seven like I'd have my way with Drew Barrymore.

That game, and the Seattle game in what, 2014, took years off my life.

George Cumby
12-09-2020, 06:01 PM
Jeebus, you guys are a bunch of masochists.