PDA

View Full Version : Packers/Lions Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-09-2020, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure how the Packers defense will perform in this game. However, the last 2 weeks the Lions defense has given up 41 points to the Texans and 30 to the friggin' Bears. So Packers offense should have a big game. Stafford threw for over 400 yards and 3 TD's against Bears. However Lions did not run the ball well although Adrian Peterson did run for 2 TD's. Should be a shootout.

CaptainKickass
12-09-2020, 11:15 AM
The curse of Bobby Lane continues...

Over time, Alan Layne learned from his mother, Carol, that the curse indeed had been uttered by his dad.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/09/06/detroit-lions-curse-of-bobby-layne-1957-championship/629831001/

Fritz
12-09-2020, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure how the Packers defense will perform in this game. However, the last 2 weeks the Lions defense has given up 41 points to the Texans and 30 to the friggin' Bears. So Packers offense should have a big game. Stafford threw for over 400 yards and 3 TD's against Bears. However Lions did not run the ball well although Adrian Peterson did run for 2 TD's. Should be a shootout.

There is the usual talk, after Bevell's first-time-as-head-coach victory, about how he's changed the culture overnight, etc, etc, the players love him, etc, etc.

But they barely beat the Bears and though they did not make as many mistakes as they had been making under Patricia, they just do not have a lot of talent, especially on the defensive side.

If they can run on the Packers this could get spooky. You can see a scenario in which the Lions play loose, come out storming, and the Packers start making mistakes. Rodgers gets pissy, the defense is butter, and it all goes into the shitter. But there will be no crowd to amp up the Lions, and if the Packers do not let down they ought to get this win.

Tony Oday
12-09-2020, 11:22 AM
I expect to win by 24 which means a loss

HarveyWallbangers
12-09-2020, 12:52 PM
I was looking at some stats of the Packers WRs, and it made me appreciate how underrated Jordy Nelson was. Greg Jennings made the Pro Bowl twice. In one of his Pro Bowl years he had around 950 yards and 9 TDs. Jordy made the Pro Bowl once. He had two years where he had 1250+ yards and 14+ TDs and didn't make the Pro Bowl. It took a year where he had 1519 yards and 13 TDs for him to make the Pro Bowl.

smuggler
12-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Golladay gonna play?

run pMc
12-09-2020, 02:04 PM
I was looking at some stats of the Packers WRs, and it made me appreciate how underrated Jordy Nelson was. Greg Jennings made the Pro Bowl twice. In one of his Pro Bowl years he had around 950 yards and 9 TDs. Jordy made the Pro Bowl once. He had two years where he had 1250+ yards and 14+ TDs and didn't make the Pro Bowl. It took a year where he had 1519 yards and 13 TDs for him to make the Pro Bowl.

Nelson was a monster for a few years there, AND he had the mindmeld with Rodgers.
In the MLF offense, a near-prime years Nelson would be amazing. Play action deep shots, back shoulder throws, run blocking, you name it.

Nelson might have been overshadowed by other WRs who had big seasons as well (I say this without actually looking).

run pMc
12-09-2020, 02:10 PM
There is the usual talk, after Bevell's first-time-as-head-coach victory, about how he's changed the culture overnight, etc, etc, the players love him, etc, etc.

But they barely beat the Bears and though they did not make as many mistakes as they had been making under Patricia, they just do not have a lot of talent, especially on the defensive side.

If they can run on the Packers this could get spooky. You can see a scenario in which the Lions play loose, come out storming, and the Packers start making mistakes. Rodgers gets pissy, the defense is butter, and it all goes into the shitter. But there will be no crowd to amp up the Lions, and if the Packers do not let down they ought to get this win.

This is true. They have a stable of good backs with AP, Kerryon and Swift, and their WRs have tormented GB before. The offense is definitely talented. The defense is iffy, and GB has been good even against good defenses this year. A shootout feels likely, and I think the Lions will keep it interesting.

GB is the better team and should win.
They must win if they want to put a stranglehold on the NFCN (they need 2 wins), and keep the pressure on NO for the top seed.

Upnorth
12-09-2020, 02:16 PM
I expect to win by 24 which means a loss

You are saying exactly what I'm worried about.

Fritz
12-09-2020, 04:28 PM
Golladay gonna play?

No word yet. With the Lions' suckage being as vacuumous and vacuous as it is, the locals are not covering the Lions very hard. But Golladay is now being seen as a selfish player - after his last healthy game he tweeted something about how much money those catches would make him - so I don't know if he's itching to get out there to pad the stats or if he wants to sit out so he's 100% healthy for the last few games.

Best thing for the Packers would be to jump out to a quick lead thanks to some classic Lions stupidity. Maybe some holding calls on plays that would've been touchdowns, or going offside when the offense is about to convert a fourth and one. Or Stafford throwing a dumb pick. Or three penalties in a row. All of which has happened a lot this year, or so it seems. Anything to remind the Lions that, well, they're still the Lions.

Joemailman
12-09-2020, 04:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo0-I8LWMAA77wU?format=jpg&name=medium

Fritz
12-09-2020, 04:48 PM
It would be hilarious to have participation reports from the Packerrats' spouses:

Fritz Tiredness Did not participate

Joemailman Groin Limited participation

KYPack Knee Full participation

GB-Brandon
12-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Typical situation where the Packers win but it’s hard to get a firm handle on by how much or have any real confidence. Stafford against this defense could always cause problems. Wouldn’t be shocked if Packers were losing at halftime. Packers handled Lions easily in week 1 but Lions have history of playing Packers tough. Lions have the pieces on offense to score.

ML and throw it in a parlay but even then that is getting old at -400 with not much value. I don’t trust sneaking in a 1st half play like I did against the Eagles last week either. I’m running out of things to trust on this team. Even if we get MVP like play out of Rodgers will the horrible special teams and the lapses on defense or the up and down ability to play with a lead allow for a cover? I can’t confidently say so.

Throw on top all of that the Packers haven’t covered a 7 point spread @ Detroit since 2011 and I’m completely off this game. Just hoping for a Packer win and to keep pace in the playoff race.

smuggler
12-09-2020, 07:49 PM
Pssh y'all kiss girls? Buncha fajitas out here!

Joemailman
12-09-2020, 09:43 PM
A.J. Dillon sighting at practice today.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1336775607590510597

Upnorth
12-10-2020, 08:20 AM
It would be hilarious to have participation reports from the Packerrats' spouses:

Fritz Tiredness Did not participate

Joemailman Groin Limited participation

KYPack Knee Full participation

I can think of a couple that are in concussion protacal Or should be

smuggler
12-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Brandon isn't concussed, he's "advanced" to quote Kids In the Hall.

Joemailman
12-10-2020, 03:30 PM
ESB surprisingly back at practice. Don't worry about Big Dog. He gets every Thursday off. Golloday did not practice for Lions.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo58u-JWMAUzvFn?format=png&name=900x900

Fritz
12-10-2020, 04:29 PM
ESB surprisingly back at practice. Don't worry about Big Dog. He gets every Thursday off. Golloday did not practice for Lions.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo58u-JWMAUzvFn?format=png&name=900x900

Looks like Deandre Swift will play at least some; nobody talking about Golladay at all.

They are talking about the Lions rediscovering the long passing game. Lots of big plays against da Bears. Wonder if Pettine will get more conservative again? Although Stafford says the big plays come when defenses play "ultra deep" and he throws mid-range or short and his receivers get YAC.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2020, 01:13 AM
Swift isn't that much to worry about. Golladay might be if he plays, but it doesn't seem likely he will play. Their long passing went out with Megatron. Our Corners again should be able to handle their WRs, which is what makes a significant pass rush available in the Pettine D. Haakenson could be a problem if our ILBs have to cover him.

Our offense in general should do well, and Rodgers should have a super day against what's left of the Lion DBs. And that will allow our runners to thrive too.

Bottom line: A big score for the Packers to not much for the Lions.

Tony Oday
12-11-2020, 12:26 PM
I need AJ to have about 150 yards and 3 TDs

Joemailman
12-11-2020, 01:46 PM
All of Midwest except for Lafayette IN bets Packers/Lions late. Adam Amin (no relation to Idi) and Mark Schlereth with the call.

https://506sports.com/2020/14-FOX-L-V4.png

Early we get Vikings/Bucs. Joe and Troy with he call.

https://506sports.com/2020/14-FOX-E-V2.png

Joemailman
12-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
ยท
7m
#Packers coach Matt LaFleur said WR Allen Lazard is still on a pseudo snap count because they just don't want to stress him following core muscle surgery. He said they are not going to put him on the field for 60 snaps even though he appears to be back to being himself.

Actually glad to hear that. Had noticed he was on injury report this week due to core.

RashanGary
12-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Actually glad to hear that. Had noticed he was on injury report this week due to core.

We talked about this and expected some sort of slower ramp up being smart. Lazard has a chance to be a true 100% for the post season if they do this right

RashanGary
12-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Rodgers/Jones
Adams
Lazard
Tonyan

And then mix in the role players (Mercedes, MVS, EQ, Williams, Jace)

That's a really nice group of skill guys for 12. I expect even more in the coming weeks than we've seen so far. 12 gonna set some personal records this year.

RashanGary
12-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Packers defense just starting to find the best ways to play aggressive with their personnel. Alexander is getting true island looks while pettine shifts coverage to the other side and then has an extra box player to create some confusion and havoc.

In order for this to work (play a lot of one safety) and still not get torched, you almost always need elite corners and safeties. We have a true elite corner, one of the best safety tandems in football and King is pretty good too. It took all year to get savage on the level he needs to be and to really get ja and king playing right too. Buy here we are, an identity forming.

Peaking at the right time! Can't wait!!

Joemailman
12-11-2020, 03:05 PM
Golladay and Okudah out. Swift full practice today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo_CSSYWEAA0cTy?format=jpg&name=medium

Joemailman
12-11-2020, 03:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo_IobHXEAA0ixZ?format=jpg&name=medium

RashanGary
12-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Ugh, savage with a late groin. Last year when he went out, I was like, eh, rookie, we're probably better without him. This year he's just now hitting his stride as a top 10 safety with potential to be top 2 or 3 some day soon. That's a loss. Especially with Greene out too. Let's hope he's ok and the secondary can continue to make strides like they have been for what looks like a late season run of peak play!

run pMc
12-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Hopefully the injury to Savage is not serious, he still practiced.
He's not a top 10 safety IMO (you're saying he's better than 50+ other starting safeties?) but 100% agree losing Savage with Greene on IR would be a problem.

Their depth at S and TE is being tested. I think MLF will use the big WRs to do some of the blocking they had Jace do, unless they like Dafney and expand his role this week.

Not surprised Golliday is out. He's missed 5 weeks with a hip injury; even if he was back they'd ease him in. Okudah being out doesn't help a porous Lions D, especially with Adams on a hot streak. With the way Jones torched them in week 2, I think they will focus on trying to shut down the Packers run game...so if you have Adams on your fantasy team you should be in good shape.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Jace is kind of trash right now. Run blocks ok, but with Aaron Rodgers at QB, a flunky pass protector is sort of useless. If you need a guy who can run block and catch passes, lazard is a much better option. Better chemistry with 12, more explosive and just as good at run blocking. You can't take off a more explosive pass catcher because you have a TE who's only decent quality is movement type run blocks. If he can't figure pass pro out, it will always easy to replace him with just about any WR.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 10:30 AM
If Jace spends his whole offseason getting his pass sets down instead of modeling on his Instagram page, he has a chance

run pMc
12-12-2020, 02:25 PM
Jace worries me at this point because he's missed so much time, and has already suffered at least two concussions that have caused him to miss 1+ games. There's still time for it to click for him, but I have a feeling Deguara will have a better career. I also wonder if Jace ends up being a draft pick Gute would like to have a do-over on. Players still on the board when Jace was picked: Terry McLaurin, Chase Winovich, Dawson Knox...

All that said, I don't think he's a garbage player. I think he's played well at times. He's just not consistent and hasn't shown anything to suggest he's a TE1 or TE2. It might be Year 3 or 4 if/when that happens.

Lazard, MVS, and ESB are all big WR who could help the OL dig out a DE or LB on some run calls and make some creases for Jones/Williams. They won't be as good at it as a TE like Lewis or probably even Tonyan though. MLF likes his TE/HB types though, which is why I think if they don't call one up from the PS they'll use those guys to help block. They'll still have lots of TE sets, not sure I've seen MLF go 4 or 5WR and 0 TE this year.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 05:35 PM
If Jace learns to pass pro at, at least an average level, he’ll have value over a WR. When you go in those bunch formations and you have a lot of defenders close to the line of scrimmage, you need to be able to pass protect in case of one side being overloaded. I've seen him get shoved like he was a 195 pounds. Like literally no resistance. It's bizarre, but he has no feel for that drop set type pass protection. Maybe just have him cut every time until he figures it out, I don't know......

But as a rule, he's slower and less threatening than any wr in the league so in order for him to really have value in the pass game, he needs to be able to pass pro so at least he can being protection advantages in case of a blitz as well as being able to run routes and catch if there is no blitz on. That's what will make him useful.

As of now, he's not useful compared to a wr.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Him being a below average receiving option, solid run blocker and horrible pass blocker makes him a bad player who can get your qb killed. I could see playing him in 4 minute offense if you're absolutely going to run the ball, but even then if 12 wants to take a risk and pass and 87 is being asked to get in anyone's way, it could end horribly. I just cant see him seeing the field much.

I'd be more forgiving but tonyan showed up and stories were written how he just clung to the old guys and learned. He didn't correct anyone on his name because he said he had to earn that.

In the mean time, jace puts his energy into his super cute Instagram modelling career. If he could pass block as well as he models, he'd really be something.

Zool
12-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Him being a below average receiving option, solid run blocker and horrible pass blocker makes him a bad player who can get your qb killed. I could see playing him in 4 minute offense if you're absolutely going to run the ball, but even then if 12 wants to take a risk and pass and 87 is being asked to get in anyone's way, it could end horribly. I just cant see him seeing the field much.

I'd be more forgiving but tonyan showed up and stories were written how he just clung to the old guys and learned. He didn't correct anyone on his name because he said he had to earn that.

In the mean time, jace puts his energy into his super cute Instagram modelling career. If he could pass block as well as he models, he'd really be something.

Jimmy Graham is the worst blocker the Packers have had at TE, but Jen Sterger isnt much better. Graham was a freak catching passes at TE so they let him slide for his career. Not sure Jace is going to get that length of leash. He better turn the corner at some point in the next 12 months.

Joemailman
12-12-2020, 08:27 PM
In this offense, everybody but the QB has to block. So he'll definitely need to pick it up in that area. I think he will. Scouting report didn't indicate an unwillingness to block, although it did mention he needs to improve his lower body power and focus. https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jace-sternberger

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Jimmy Graham is the worst blocker the Packers have had at TE, but Jen Sterger isnt much better. Graham was a freak catching passes at TE so they let him slide for his career. Not sure Jace is going to get that length of leash. He better turn the corner at some point in the next 12 months.

For sure. When you're 6’7” and run 5.51 you legitimately are a better target down the field than most receivers. Jace runs 4.7. He's never going to out wide out, wide outs. He needs a rounded game so he brings options and opens up the playbook (the way tight ends are traditionally supposed to do)

smuggler
12-12-2020, 09:56 PM
https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1337575070491959297

bobblehead
12-13-2020, 07:25 AM

The new coach bump is a real thing. It usually lasts at least 2 weeks so I expect a dogfight. However, when Rodgers is on he is the unstoppable force. I hope he is on yet again.

bobblehead
12-13-2020, 07:30 AM
I need AJ to have about 150 yards and 3 TDs

I'll be happy if he carries 3 guys on his back for 3 yards on 3rd and 1.

bobblehead
12-13-2020, 07:32 AM
Packers defense just starting to find the best ways to play aggressive with their personnel. Alexander is getting true island looks while pettine shifts coverage to the other side and then has an extra box player to create some confusion and havoc.

In order for this to work (play a lot of one safety) and still not get torched, you almost always need elite corners and safeties. We have a true elite corner, one of the best safety tandems in football and King is pretty good too. It took all year to get savage on the level he needs to be and to really get ja and king playing right too. Buy here we are, an identity forming.

Peaking at the right time! Can't wait!!

I would say we got 1 stud and 3 ok guys back there....but when you hit the QB thats good enough. We have lost the key to the defense for the season though and that has me worried to no end....yes, I mean Raven Greene.

RashanGary
12-13-2020, 10:21 AM
I would say we got 1 stud and 3 ok guys back there....but when you hit the QB thats good enough. We have lost the key to the defense for the season though and that has me worried to no end....yes, I mean Raven Greene.

The way savage is coming on, there aren't enough good safeties in the league. I think it's because a player needs both elite instincts and elite athleticism to really shine from that spot, so it's rare. We have now two good ones and another good corner to go with Ja. I do think the league is extremely undermanned in the secondary so us just having 5 guys who we feel solid about is actually quite rare

RashanGary
12-13-2020, 10:26 AM
ILB and safety are spots that there are a ton of athletes who could theoretically do it but very very few athletes good enough combined with the quick trigger and feel for the game. Just not enough good safeties and linebackers. Which brings me back, even having 5 in the secondary who are good at their roles is RARE!

RashanGary
12-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Kemp and hussey the two most blatant mafia referees in the league. Kemp refing our game. Look for the most possible gamblers to get fucked. Packers win in a close one or lose and the score stays under 54.

RashanGary
12-13-2020, 01:58 PM
I just want to say, since ya’ll think I'm retarded..... I did mention one time that Williams is kind of like Kuhn for Rodgers on 3rd down. I mentioned the pass pro effectiveness and overall savvy as a pass catcher. I said Williams might be a little better because he is a better screen player and slightly more explosive runner.

Rodgers equated the two this week or last week. Said Williams is underrated and kind of a kuhn type player who opens up third down.

RashanGary
12-13-2020, 02:01 PM
We can sit and drool over 70 yard runs all day, but on third down its about pass pro first, the ability to adjust with Rodgers on checks second, screen savvy third and way down the list, almost not even on the list is big run ability. Williams is a really underrated part of our offense and Rodgers MVP season. Flash and surface novelty aren't what makes an offense go as this season has proved.

Joemailman
12-13-2020, 02:31 PM
Packers inactives:

10 QB Jordan Love
29 CB Ka'dar Hollman
53 LB Jonathan Garvin
72 G Simon Stepaniak
86 WR Malik Taylor
87 TE Jace Sternberger