PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS VS. SAINTS - WHY THE PACKERS SHOULD WIN

gbpackfan
09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Call me a Packer homer if you like, fine, I am one! However, I have taken an absurd amount of time looking over the Saints' roster and last weeks game and have come to the conclusion that the Packers can and should win on Sunday. Last week, the Packers were clearly out matched and we all knew that going in. This week, the Packers match up nicely against the Saints who have only one clear play-maker, Reggie Bush. Joe Horn is a player and is capable of a 100 yard game, but he isn't the threat he once was. We ALL know about the Packers and their problems. There are plenty. So in this post I am focusing on the Saints and their problems. Trust me, they have plenty as well. If the Packers lose on Sunday, they truly will be the worst team in the NFL. Here's why:

1. SAINTS WRs

The Saints have one WR (not including Bush, I'll get to him later). His name is Joe Horn. Horn has to be accounted for but is not the playmaker that he once was. Last year his numbers tanked to 49 receptions for 654 yards and 1, yes 1, TD. He had over 10 TDs the two seasons before that and A. Brooks was his QB then too, so don't use that excuse. Their second starter is a rookie named Marques Colston. He has been a surprise but is currently no one to be SCARED about. Their 3 and 4 guys are Devery Henderson, who has 22 career receptions, and Packer throw away Jamal Jones. Henderson has some potential but again, no one that is going to make Woodson and Harris loose sleep over. In fact, I believe that the Bears have a better WR corp. then the Saints.

2. SAINTS RBs

Reggie Bush is the real deal. He must be accounted for and they are going to try and get him matched up against a LB. The Packers must game plan for this kid. When Bush lines up wide, the Packers may have to double him. Nick Collins has the speed to stay with him if they need to bring a S down. Matching Bush up against a LB is a bad idea. I just hope they keep track of him coming out of the back-field.

D. McAllister had a nice game last week, running for almost 100 yards. However, they Packer D-line is better against the run then the Browns. So I like the match-up of McAllister vs. our D-Line.

When Bush gets the ball, we HAVE to watch the cut back. He loves to cut it back and out run the D to the opposite side of the field. KGB has to be able to stay in his lane because I can see the Saints running towards Kampman with the intent of turning it back towards an over pursuing KGB. KGB did do a decent job against the run last week so I hope we see more of the same this week.

The Saints have NO healthy fullbacks. Both their guys went down last week and have signed a guy off the street. They will probably be using a lot of double TE sets with two RBs in the backfield. We need to make them pay for not using a lead blocker. If the first defender getting to the RB can make the tackle, we should be good. We have a lot of chances to bring the RB down at the line of scrimmage and we must take advantage.

SAINTS TEs

Ernie Conwell is their starter. Who? Yeah, Ernie Conwell. Last year he had 13 catches, half as many as Desmond Clark had. If Popps can't handle Conwell, he needs to be replaced. Conwell is more of a blocking TE and should not rip us apart like Clark did. The Saints TEs are a step down from the Bears, much like their WRs.

SAINTS O-LINE

The Saints have one rookie starting at G (Jahri Evans), have a first year starter at RT (Jon Stichcomb) who missed all of last season due to injury and have moved 2nd year T Jammal Brown from RT to LT. Brown is a good player but is still adjusting to the left side. The O-line is not a spectacular group. I would say they are average to just below average. The Packers SHOULD be able to put more pressure on Brees then they did on Grossman.

SAINTS QB

Drew Brees has always been streaky. However, he has been able to put together some nice seasons as of late. Last week he completed 54% of his passes (QBs should be at 60% or better) for about 176 yards. He also threw one pick and one TD. Nothing special. However, the Packers D made Grossman look like an all pro so who knows! I believe that Brees is an upgrade over Grossman and we better be able to exploit the Saints weaker O-Line to disrupt Brees' timing. If not, he could pick us apart.

SAINTS D-LINE

The Saints have one solid DE in Will Smith. He put up 8.5 sacks last year and def. needs to be accounted for. After that, I don't see a lot that scares me. DE Charles Grant is okay but only got to the QB 2.5 times last year. He is solid in run defense but doesn't compare to either one of the Bears DEs. In the middle the Saints start aging vet Hollis Thomas who was replaced last season by a rookie while playing for the Eagles. 2005 was the first year he had been a starter since 2001. The other DT, Brian Young, is hard working but is the guy you are always looking to replace. He registered 0 sacks last year and isn't a real big force in the passing game. The Saints D-Line should give the Packers a real good chance to show improvement and boost confidence in the young interior linemen.

SAINTS SECONDARY

Mike McKenzie is well, Mike McKenzie. He's a solid CB. Probably not the guy the Packers are going to pick on. Although it would be great to see his ass get beat for multiple TDs again this year! The guy on the other side, Fred Thomas, is probably going to be Favre's bitch. Thomas is a 5'9" 11 year vet who has lost a step. The Packers should def. go after this guy all day. In the nickle, the Saints bring in Jason Craft. Craft is 5'10" and is nothing special. K-Rob, Fergie, DD and Martin should really be able to use their height advantage in one on one match-ups. Jennings will be able to shake coverage this week and show why the Packers inserted him in the starting line-up.

The Saints have young safeties. Second year man Josh Bullocks and rookie Roman Harper will have their hands full. The Packer should be able to get these guys to bite on play action and get the ball our WRs over the top. Young safeties mean mistakes in the secondary. Something the Packers will try to limit themselves on D.

Again, the secondary is a drop in talent and experience from the Bears. A HUGE DROP. This may be one of the worst secondaries that we play all season long.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The Saints have a rookie punter so he may be some what inconsistent. The K Carney is solid and the return game, if Bush is their kick and punt returner, can be deadly. The Packers must do a better job this week. However, Bush is not listed as their top K or P returner. But I believe Bush returned a number of punts last week so they better prepare for him. Ryan needs to get his kicks higher because if Bush gets to full speed, he's gone!

Alright, so there we have it. Although the Packers have holes themselves, the Saints have plenty to fill as well. I truly believe that the Packers have a better all around team then the Saints. Reggie Bush is a play maker but one guy can't win you a game in the NFL. The Packers need to show improvement over last week but let's be honest, the Saints aren't the Bears.

This Sunday will tell me everything I need to know about the 2006 Packers. How will this young team respond after getting kicked in the teeth last week. Will they lay down or will they come out swinging? The Saints are very beatable! Last week they won, yes. But the Browns are basically starting a rookie at QB and probably have less talent the Packers. If ever a team NEEDED A WIN it was the Packers. If ever a fan NEEDED a win, it's ME!

GO PACK!

gbpackfan
09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Sorry about the douple post guys. This is the one you should comment in.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Looks like we are still a bunch of homers.
:D

GrnBay007
09-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Looks like we are still a bunch of homers.
:D

still chuggin the kool-aid :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
09-12-2006, 10:48 PM
We have to cling to whatever we can.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Well I still think were going 12-4. :mrgreen: Hopefully when week 5 comes around my prediction is not proved wrong that fast.

No Mo Moss
09-12-2006, 11:17 PM
9-7

Losses in MN, NE, SEA, CHI, DET, PHI, MIA,

Willard
09-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Great analysis GBPackfan. Based on your research and my uncanny 6th sense I predict a 52-3 victory.

havanother
09-13-2006, 09:05 AM
I felt the saints were about as over-rated as the cardinals before the season started and then once again I'm proven wrong. Granted both opened against piss poor teams but the Saints got the Mana from heaven with Bush. Anyone remember another team where both #1 and #2 backs total yards were over a hundred????

That's right the Chiefs with Holmes and Johnson. Watch out for this team, because if I rember right the Chiefs WR haven't been anything to cheer about for a long time so the fact that the Saints WR core is weak is a mute point.

Even if the pack were an average team (which we're not) Saints win 28 - 10.

Tony Oday
09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I felt the saints were about as over-rated as the cardinals before the season started and then once again I'm proven wrong. Granted both opened against piss poor teams but the Saints got the Mana from heaven with Bush. Anyone remember another team where both #1 and #2 backs total yards were over a hundred????

That's right the Chiefs with Holmes and Johnson. Watch out for this team, because if I rember right the Chiefs WR haven't been anything to cheer about for a long time so the fact that the Saints WR core is weak is a mute point.

Even if the pack were an average team (which we're not) Saints win 28 - 10.

Go cheer for the Vikings :evil:

KYPack
09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Nice Analysis, GBPF.

I saw a lot of the Saints last week and you are right on.

I think the match-up is simple. If they run on us, Brees will toss successfully and we get beat. If we contain the RB's, we win.

I thought Leach would wind up with the Saints.

havanother
09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
HOLD ON their O'day. :evil: :evil: That's like tellin someone they throw like a girl. Uncalled for and flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 10:01 AM
HEY!!! Just remember there's a reason some of us throw like girls!!! :evil: :mrgreen:

Rastak
09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
It will come down to the OL and DL. I like the Saints DL and if Clifton and his mates don't play better than last week I predict a close Saints win.

It's certainly a winable game for Green Bay and they really need it. To start the season 0-2 at home wouldn't be good.

ahaha
09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Nice post, rally the homers! I still believe this team could go 9-7. But, if the Packers lose badly again, to the 'aints, it might be time to admit defeat to the pessimist faction.

GBRulz
09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
It's certainly a winable game for Green Bay and they really need it. To start the season 0-2 at home wouldn't be good.

No doubt. I've seen enough talk about who we're going to draft #1 next year already :crazy:

Packnut
09-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Bush is gonna have a HUGE day. With our special teams coverage, he should have a good chance at bringing one back. The Saints gameplan will feature him even more than last week.

Payton will outcoach Sanders and easily find ways to isolate Poppinga. I expect a close game with the Saints winning in the 4th quarter.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Nice Analysis, GBPF.

I saw a lot of the Saints last week and you are right on.

I think the match-up is simple. If they run on us, Brees will toss successfully and we get beat. If we contain the RB's, we win.

I thought Leach would wind up with the Saints.

Agreed - I watched like 2/3 of that game.

The point on Bush liking to cutback is 100% on - I hope both the DEs and the spy (LB - Hawk?) stay on their lanes and react to the shortest point of impact.