PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs Panthers Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-14-2020, 09:25 AM
Everything about the Panthers is slightly below average. Their offense ranks 19th in both points scored and total yardage. Their defense ranks 20th in points scored and 21st in yardage. Teddy Bridgewater is 2nd in the NFL in completion percentage, but only 17th in yardage and 21st in TD passes. Christian McCaffrey has missed most of the year but could be back Sunday. In his absence, Mike Davis has had about 550 yards rushing and 370 yards receiving. Their 2 top WR's, Robbie Anderson and DJ Moore, are both near 100 yards, but have only 6 TD's between them. Their TE's have been practically nonexistent.

All in all, a team the Packers should be able to handle if they show up to play. But the Panthers are not a terrible team, especially if McCaffrey is back and effective.

Hey Mad! Don't forget it's a Saturday night game!:pack::-):pack:

run pMc
12-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Assuming McCaffrey is not playing, DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel are the two players most likely to cause trouble. Bridgewater could dink and dunk his way down the field on a bend but don't break Pettine defense too... he's good at that, although it can easily stall in the RZ.

Defensively they are ok. This is a game the Packers should win. They are the better team and more consistent.

McCaffrey is a dynamic player; he's basically their Kamara. I'm skeptical he'd get a lot of snaps if he's just coming back from injury though. We'll see what the injury report looks like Wednesday...if he's not practicing he's likely not playing Sat pm.

gbgary
12-14-2020, 11:45 AM
weather is supposed to be an issue i believe...soooo let's keep it simple. up the gut, over the middle, etc...and again...keep the D off the field as much as possible.

Joemailman
12-14-2020, 12:38 PM
weather is supposed to be an issue i believe...soooo let's keep it simple. up the gut, over the middle, etc...and again...keep the D off the field as much as possible.

Nah. Right now they're saying mostly cloudy, temps in 20's/30's Saturday night. Winds 5-10mph. But it's early.

HarveyWallbangers
12-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Tonyan has 46 catches on 52 targets. That has to be the highest catch rate in the NFL.

smuggler
12-15-2020, 12:16 PM
He's second. Jonathan Taylor is first. Jamaal Williams is third.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate

Joemailman
12-15-2020, 12:21 PM
Running backs shouldn't count. Most of the time you're practically handing the ball to them.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Outside of Tonyan and Curtis Samuel (who catches a lot of short stuff like a RB), the top 9 are all RBs.

The next highest TE is Mo Allie-Cox at #25 with a 77.8% catch rate. Tonyan at 88.5%.

Fritz
12-15-2020, 01:36 PM
So will the Packers show up or will they sleepwalk again?

Joemailman
12-15-2020, 05:44 PM
Panthers coach Matt Rhule said Tuesday that he isn’t expecting running back Christian McCaffrey to play against the Packers in Week 15.

“I’m not expecting him to play, as of right now,” Rhule said, via Darin Gantt of the team’s official site. “We’ll see how the next couple of days unfold, obviously. But today was a walk-through, so he was able to do some things, but I’m not expecting him to play as we sit here right now.”

Bob McGinn
@BobMcGinn
·
30m
Rating the #Packers in their W over the #Lions. For the first time, rookie ILB Krys Barnes stole some snaps from veteran Christian Kirksey. .

smuggler
12-15-2020, 07:57 PM
We've gotten really lucky with opposing team injuries this season. Except for that second Vikes game. Cook going out let the Seahawks get a gimme win and then he came back fresh to skullfuck us.

Joemailman
12-15-2020, 08:02 PM
We've gotten really lucky with opposing team injuries this season. Except for that second Vikes game. Cook going out let the Seahawks get a gimme win and then he came back fresh to skullfuck us.

Not as lucky as last year. Last year the Packers had I believe 5 games where the other team didn't have their starting QB. Actually I read earlier today that this year the number of games Packer starters have missed is about the same as their opponents.

MadtownPacker
12-15-2020, 09:51 PM
So will the Packers show up or will they sleepwalk again?No they handle this one but the Titans await...

MadtownPacker
12-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Tonyan has 46 catches on 52 targets. That has to be the highest catch rate in the NFL.
During the game Sunday I mentioned to my son that I had not seen Tonyan miss a catch. That’s damn close to it.

smuggler
12-15-2020, 10:33 PM
I can only recall one, might have been a deep post or a sideline ball that was *just* a bit long. Rather than dive for it, he tried for a one-handed catch. Other than that, yeah, dude's been great. Now watch him drop one against the kitties.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2020, 11:11 PM
David Carr has 5 Packers offensive players making the Pro Bowl: Rodgers, Adams, Tonyan, Bahk, and Linsley

https://www.nfl.com/news/offensive-player-rankings-week-15-building-afc-nfc-pro-bowl-rosters-on-offense

Joemailman
12-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Just a head up to people who don't have NFL Network and don't live in Green Bay or Milwaukee areas.

Watch On TV
The game will air nationally on the NFL Network and also on WLUK-TV in Green Bay and WITI-TV in Milwaukee. Play-by-play man Mike Tirico joins analyst Kurt Warner with Melissa Stark reporting from the sidelines.

Joemailman
12-16-2020, 05:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpYzW8MXcAY8PEU?format=jpg&name=medium

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2020, 03:55 PM
Packers are really healthy for this time of year. I'm a little worried about Sternberger. He got concussed and now has missed the two games since. The concussions that linger like that are troubling.

Joemailman
12-17-2020, 04:15 PM
Sternberger and Stepaniak out. McCaffrey doubtful for Panthers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Epd_opVW4AEcYDP?format=jpg&name=medium

Smidgeon
12-17-2020, 04:22 PM
Packers are really healthy for this time of year. I'm a little worried about Sternberger. He got concussed and now has missed the two games since. The concussions that linger like that are troubling.

I have hopes for him long term because TEs can take several years to get rolling in the pros. BUT, to your point, the concussions are worrisome. Didn't he have a lingering one previously in his short career?

Joemailman
12-17-2020, 04:58 PM
I have hopes for him long term because TEs can take several years to get rolling in the pros. BUT, to your point, the concussions are worrisome. Didn't he have a lingering one previously in his short career?

Last year in training camp in a scrimmage with Texans he suffered a concussion/jaw injury. I think the jaw kept him out longer than the concussion. Then he suffered a leg injury in a late preseason game. Then he missed time this preseason with Covid. He's just had a tough start to his career health-wise.

Joemailman
12-17-2020, 08:13 PM
Bakhtiari Safari

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpenN30XEAIS3tl?format=jpg&name=large

smuggler
12-17-2020, 08:14 PM
You've heard of a Elf on a Shelf, here's Bakhtiari on Safari!

Smidgeon
12-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Last year in training camp in a scrimmage with Texans he suffered a concussion/jaw injury. I think the jaw kept him out longer than the concussion. Then he suffered a leg injury in a late preseason game. Then he missed time this preseason with Covid. He's just had a tough start to his career health-wise.

At the very least, none of them are recurring injuries (aside from the concussions). So just unlucky.

bobblehead
12-18-2020, 10:40 AM

Cory Davis of the titans has had similar "luck" as i put it. Plays in a run dominant offense that had mariotta for a QB first 2 years. Got injured his 3rd. Caught covid his 4th. He is a stud in the waiting for the right situation.

I am always wrong on FA predictions but this would be an ideal signing for GB. Flower was his O.C for a year (I think his only solid year before this). He is a tenacious run blocker. Mega talented (top 5 pick). Good size. And i suspect he will have trouble landing too big a deal with allen Robinson entering the FA market and back to back wr rich drafts.

Would be an IDEAL signing. As such its very unlikely to happen.

call_me_ishmael
12-18-2020, 11:20 AM
Davis would be an amazing signing but I doubt they can afford him at this time.

Joemailman
12-18-2020, 11:35 AM
They will also have Funchess coming back. WR just isn't very high on their list of needs right now.

smuggler
12-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Kind of doubt Funchess makes the team at his price tag after a year off. Kind of sucks the Pack paid him a bonus and the NFL gave him a stipend to have him sit on his ass and learn to suck for a year. Hard to blame him, but those aren't the kinds of players that typically succeed in the highly competitive sport we love. Fuck COVID-19.

Joemailman
12-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Kind of doubt Funchess makes the team at his price tag after a year off. Kind of sucks the Pack paid him a bonus and the NFL gave him a stipend to have him sit on his ass and learn to suck for a year. Hard to blame him, but those aren't the kinds of players that typically succeed in the highly competitive sport we love. Fuck COVID-19.

Packers would only save about 1.3 million by cutting him. With MVS and St. Brown both making under a million and Lazard an ERFA, they can probably afford that. I think whether he makes the team will depend on his play in training camp, not his contract.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-18-2020, 01:43 PM

A player has gotta play in 3 games, or so, in ‘19 to qualify for the “stipend.” Funchess played in only 1 game for the Jackasses. Ain’t like Funchess needed to suit up for the Green and Gold. Irsay paid him 10 million frogskins for a fluke appearance.

Btw, I’ve given you a negative reputation for your last comment. Take that shit to FYI, yo! :x

Anti-Polar Bear
12-18-2020, 02:00 PM
Wanna know why I ain’t have more green bars underneath my screen name? Fucking Smuggler keeps giving me negative reputations!

Joemailman
12-18-2020, 04:45 PM
You've heard of a Elf on a Shelf, here's Bakhtiari on Safari!

This one's too easy.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpjLzn_XMAAu2nR?format=jpg&name=large

smuggler
12-19-2020, 12:30 AM
I like the Tonyan holding Funyuns on a Runyan wearing onions on a Bunyan:

https://i.imgur.com/q7VwWU7.jpg

MadtownPacker
12-19-2020, 07:46 AM
Going to be tough to top that.

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Inactives:

Green Bay Packers

10 QB Jordan Love
37 CB Josh Jackson
53 LB Jonathan Garvin
72 G Simon Stepaniak
87 TE Jace Sternberger

Carolina Panthers

7 QB Will Grier
22 RB Christian McCaffrey
30 DB Natrell Jamerson
62 G Aaron Monteiro
65 G Dennis Daley
76 T Russell Okung
96 DE Austin Larkin

QBME
12-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Inactives:

Green Bay Packers

10 QB Jordan Love
37 CB Josh Jackson
53 LB Jonathan Garvin
72 G Simon Stepaniak
87 TE Jace Sternberger

Carolina Panthers

7 QB Will Grier
22 RB Christian McCaffrey
30 DB Natrell Jamerson
62 G Aaron Monteiro
65 G Dennis Daley
76 T Russell Okung
96 DE Austin Larkin

I'm not asking for any type of reply, BUT...why is Jordon Love a consistent healthy scratch?
Is he that good and the Pack is trying to hide him?
Because A Rod is having a near career season and the folks upstairs don't want to look foolish?
Because he is a bust and the folks upstairs are covering their asses?

Again, just food for thought. Better to have this debate/discussion after the season.

Now it's on to tonight's opportunity.

GO PACK!!!

MadtownPacker
12-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Key for tonight’s game:

Don’t fucking lose no matter what.

Zool
12-19-2020, 08:07 PM
I'm not asking for any type of reply, BUT...why is Jordon Love a consistent healthy scratch?
Is he that good and the Pack is trying to hide him?
Because A Rod is having a near career season and the folks upstairs don't want to look foolish?
Because he is a bust and the folks upstairs are covering their asses?

Again, just food for thought. Better to have this debate/discussion after the season.

Now it's on to tonight's opportunity.

GO PACK!!!

They’ve been running 2 active QBs for a couple years. Love is 3rd string so he doesn’t dress. If he’s not second string next year, you start to wonder if he doesn’t have it.

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 11:59 PM
They’ve been running 2 active QBs for a couple years. Love is 3rd string so he doesn’t dress. If he’s not second string next year, you start to wonder if he doesn’t have it.

Love will be 2nd string next year. Boyle is a RFA. Packers will probably not tender him, so he'll become an UFA. He'll want to go to a team that doesn't have a future HOFer and a recent 1st round pick at QB.

Zool
12-20-2020, 08:36 AM
Love will be 2nd string next year. Boyle is a RFA. Packers will probably not tender him, so he'll become an UFA. He'll want to go to a team that doesn't have a future HOFer and a recent 1st round pick at QB.

Good point. Love will at least get more reps in practice next year. I suppose ‘22 will be the year he gets a chance to show something.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2020, 11:59 AM
I'd MUCH rather see them get something in trade for Love and re-sign Boyle to hold the clipboard/laptop next year.

Keep Aaron Rodgers for 10 more years!

run pMc
12-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Jordan Love hasn't been active all year...he's the QB3 and they usually only keep 2. More interesting question is why was Josh Jackson inactive - injury? Also, what happened to Garvin? He was getting a few snaps here and there, did Randy Ramsey pass him up on depth chart?

Tex, I assume the "keep Rodgers for 10 years" was an exaggeration...if he's here in 5 years it will be a surprise. He's gimpy after getting hit now, I don't think his collarbones and legs will hold up past 42.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Ten might be a slight exaggeration hahahaha. I would expect five or six, though, and hope for seven or eight - seriously.

Guiness
12-20-2020, 06:11 PM
A player has gotta play in 3 games, or so, in ‘19 to qualify for the “stipend.” Funchess played in only 1 game for the Jackasses. Ain’t like Funchess needed to suit up for the Green and Gold. Irsay paid him 10 million frogskins for a fluke appearance.

Btw, I’ve given you a negative reputation for your last comment. Take that shit to FYI, yo! :x

had to go look that up - holy shit, he did make 10 extra large on a 1 year contract and went on IR week 1.

Not sure what your issue with his covid related comment was. Whatever your position on it, I don't think anyone is happy with it!

Guiness
12-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Jordan Love hasn't been active all year...he's the QB3 and they usually only keep 2. More interesting question is why was Josh Jackson inactive - injury? Also, what happened to Garvin? He was getting a few snaps here and there, did Randy Ramsey pass him up on depth chart?

Tex, I assume the "keep Rodgers for 10 years" was an exaggeration...if he's here in 5 years it will be a surprise. He's gimpy after getting hit now, I don't think his collarbones and legs will hold up past 42.

Did Rodgers dress year 1? Nall was on the roster and I'm pretty sure he was the #2

Joemailman
12-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Did Rodgers dress year 1? Nall was on the roster and I'm pretty sure he was the #2

Rodgers played 3 games in 2005. Nall did not. Rodgers was #2, but I recall there was talk that if someone other than Favre had had to start, it would have been Nall

Guiness
12-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Rodgers played 3 games in 2005. Nall did not. Rodgers was #2, but I recall there was talk that if someone other than Favre had had to start, it would have been Nall

Rodgers got on the field his rookie year? I do not remember that! The first I recall seeing him was the following year, when he stepped in for an injured Favre against the Pats, looked like shit, and broke his foot.

Joemailman
12-20-2020, 07:46 PM
Rodgers got on the field his rookie year? I do not remember that! The first I recall seeing him was the following year, when he stepped in for an injured Favre against the Pats, looked like shit, and broke his foot.

He actually got a fair amount of playing time during a blowout loss to the Ravens. It was not pretty. 8-15, 65 yards, 1 INT, 3 sacks