PDA

View Full Version : Official 2021 Free Agency Thread

Joemailman
12-15-2020, 07:02 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/12/packers-aaron-jones-chooses-drew-rosenhaus

Aaron Jones has fired his agent and hired Drew Rosenhaus. The battle is engaged.

Aaron Jones doesn’t want to wait much longer for a deal. With contract negotiations at an impasse, the Packers running back fired his agent and hired Drew Rosenhaus as his new representative (Twitter link via Adam Schefter of ESPN.com).

The fourth-year pro won’t top Christian McCaffrey‘s contract, but he’ll aim high as he looks to secure the bag. In the meantime, he’ll keep the focus on the field as the Packers look to wrap up the conference.

Joemailman
12-15-2020, 07:13 PM
Some other running backs who will be UFA's.

Kenyan Drake
James Conner
Todd Gurley
Wayne Gallman
Chris Carson
Leonard Fournette

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2020, 11:02 PM
Drake would be intriguing for the Packers. Carson is good. The rest aren’t anything special.

QBME
12-15-2020, 11:05 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/12/packers-aaron-jones-chooses-drew-rosenhaus

Aaron Jones has fired his agent and hired Drew Rosenhaus. The battle is engaged.

K'now, I never, ever, ever I thought would agree with Tank, but with very few exceptions are running backs worth the big dollars.

Walter Payton, yes.

Barry Sanders, yes.

If Aaron Jones was Derrick Henry for sure.

Let 'em go. Get a compensatory pick.

I understand get while the getting is good, but you need to understand what got you to where you are.

Joemailman
12-16-2020, 12:01 AM
K'now, I never, ever, ever I thought would agree with Tank, but with very few exceptions are running backs worth the big dollars.

Walter Payton, yes.

Barry Sanders, yes.

If Aaron Jones was Derrick Henry for sure.

Let 'em go. Get a compensatory pick.

I understand get while the getting is good, but you need to understand what got you to where you are.

I tend to agree although I'll miss the sombrero. The thing I keep coming back to is that using a 2nd round pick on A.J. Dillon probably doesn't make much sense if they're going to pay Aaron Jones top dollar. They're also gonna have some extra mid/late round picks, so there's a good chance they'll use one on a RB.

texaspackerbacker
12-16-2020, 01:37 AM
As I said in the other thread, I heard the reason he fired the other agent is because he wants to stay in Green Bay, and the other agent wasn't getting it done.

Drake is the only one of those mentioned above who is a speed back and remotely comparable to Jones, and his performance hasn't been anywhere near as good. We really don't need any of those other plodders.

It should be absolutely essential for the Packers to keep Jones. He is unique in terms of ability, performance, and attitude. Literally any alternative would be a major step downward.

run pMc
12-16-2020, 07:48 AM
I could see them letting Jones go and drafting a RB or two.
NC has a pair of really good backs that put up over 500 yards in a game against Miami (FL, not OH). That's pretty incredible.

I'm on the fence with keeping Jones. I agree with Tex that most alternatives are a step down, but like Joe I also think they drafted guys like Dexter and Dillon for a reason. Jones has had two 100+ yard games this year and a bunch of 60 yarders. He's still a productive and dynamic player. Paying big money to RBs is generally a bad idea, and he has injury/durability questions or they wouldn't keep him on a pitch count until late season.

texaspackerbacker
12-16-2020, 01:47 PM
The trend in the NFL is to have two RBs sharing the load - hence the just 1X100 yard game. The even more obvious trend is to pass more, and that is especially true for the Packers with Rodgers - which I'm extremely thankful for. I still say, though, we found a gem in Aaron Jones. We absolutely don't need a plodder; Even not all speed backs are near as good as Jones; And think about all the outstanding RBs of the last few years, is there anybody at all who isn't some degree of a troublemaker or head case? Ezekial Elliot? Dalvin Cook? Kareem Hunt? I guess I haven't heard anything bad about Kamara, but I doubt he has an attitude as good as an "army brat" like Aaron Jones. And the guy apparently WANTS to stay in Green Bay. Get him re-signed!

I've said for years, make that decades, that paying big money for a RB is bad, but Aaron Jones is definitely the exception.

Upnorth
12-16-2020, 07:27 PM
We will not be able to afford him. That is the problem.

Guiness
12-16-2020, 10:19 PM
I've said for years, make that decades, that paying big money for a RB is bad, but Aaron Jones is definitely the exception.

Jones is definitely a head above most other backs, but I don't think he's 'head and shoulders' above, so it doesn't make sense to pay him big money. He makes a lot of hay as an airback (remember when that term was popular for 15 minutes?) but I think he's replaceable. The only guys in the league right now who are difference makers are Henry and McCafrey, and I bet Carolina is already regretting extending McCaffrey. Ronald Jones is knocking on the door.

Jones is 26, there is tread left on the tires, and he fits the Packers scheme well, so I'd be all for re-signing him, just not anywhere near McCaffrey, Henry or Cook, i.e. not over $10M. I don't think Jones as a feature back without an elite QB looks so good, but does he know that?