PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs Panthers

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 10:30 PM
Packers dominated for 26 minutes, then struggled offensively.

Rodgers with 3 total TD's but passing game out of sync.
Averaged 7 yards per completion
Special teams with some more scary moments.
Amos and rookie linebackers with a strong night.

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 10:37 PM
A disturbing night for Lucas Patrick. He's a tough guy who may bounce back, but I'd feel better if I knew Linsley would be back for the Bears game.

Bossman641
12-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Flush this one down the toilet

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 10:46 PM
Apparently Jamaal Williams was hurt. I didn't see it.

HarveyWallbangers
12-19-2020, 10:51 PM
A disturbing night for Lucas Patrick. He's a tough guy who may bounce back, but I'd feel better if I knew Linsley would be back for the Bears game.

Derrick Brown? Panthers do have some intriguing talent. Brown, Burns, Chinn, McCaffrey, Moore. They need a QB though.

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 10:58 PM
Second year in a row Packers beat the Panthers 24-16 at Lambeau.

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 11:13 PM
Packers open up as early 4 point favorites against Titans next week.

Gary, Z Smith and Jamaal Williams all with injuries tonight though.

hoosier
12-19-2020, 11:20 PM
Williams was running downhill during first half. They missed that in the second. After Carolina adjusted and took away the quick WR outs, it was the entire offense that went downhill.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2020, 11:27 PM
Apparently Jamaal Williams was hurt. I didn't see it.

I saw Williams in hard collision near sidelines, might have been helmet-to-helmet.
Can't remember if he came out of game, but he looked a little stunned.

Joemailman
12-19-2020, 11:27 PM
Williams was running downhill during first half. They missed that in the second. After Carolina adjusted and took away the quick WR outs, it was the entire offense that went downhill.

Don't know what Williams' injury was. Rodgers said his absence did take some plays out of the offense.

GB-Brandon
12-20-2020, 01:14 AM
Packers open up as early 4 point favorites against Titans next week.

Gary, Z Smith and Jamaal Williams all with injuries tonight though.

This is exactly the type of value I was talking about in another thread.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2020, 01:46 AM
Another not very satisfying game, but a win is a win is a win, even if it's against a 4-9 team.

They apparently double covered Davante Adams the whole game. Other things should been open, but I guess they weren't.

Either their O Line was a whole lot better than advertised or our pass rushers really played like crap or they got away with a bunch of holding.

It sure would be nice to have a D Coordinator who can adjust like theirs did instead of one who consistently can't find solutions to what the other offense is doing.

Upnorth
12-20-2020, 08:25 AM
Another not very satisfying game, but a win is a win is a win, even if it's against a 4-9 team.

They apparently double covered Davante Adams the whole game. Other things should been open, but I guess they weren't.

Either their O Line was a whole lot better than advertised or our pass rushers really played like crap or they got away with a bunch of holding.

It sure would be nice to have a D Coordinator who can adjust like theirs did instead of one who consistently can't find solutions to what the other offense is doing.

I'm not happpy with how we won against a 4-9 team. However this 4-9 team lost to kc by 2 saints by 3 and beat the Cardinals. I believe they are a team better than their record. They are only -33 points differential. Take away our 8 and that is -25 over 12 games.

Still would have preferred a big win.

Joemailman
12-20-2020, 08:32 AM
I'm not happpy with how we won against a 4-9 team. However this 4-9 team lost to kc by 2 saints by 3 and beat the Cardinals. I believe they are a team better than their record. They are only -33 points differential. Take away our 8 and that is -25 over 12 games.

Still would have preferred a big win.

Both MLF and Rodgers were inderstandably pretty unhappy with the offenaive performance in the second half. They have a lot of work to to figure out how to attack a soft shell defense that doubles up on Adams on almost every play.

Joemailman
12-20-2020, 09:20 AM
This is the first time since 2011-2012 that the Packers have won 11 or more games in consecutive years.

They have not won 12 or more in consecutive years since 2001-2002.

They have not won 13 or more in consecutive years since 1996-1997.

beveaux1
12-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Williams with a hamstring/thigh injury. No timetable for his return.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2020, 11:56 AM
Maybe he hurt it dancing.

Tony Oday
12-20-2020, 12:20 PM
They got bored because they knew this was an easy win. They were screwing around until they needed a drive.

run pMc
12-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Rodgers missed some open receivers and some of those sacks are on him, but the OL didn't play well, especially in 2nd half.
Was disappointed that Dillon didn't get more chances with Jamaal out.

Offense really struggled with the short game; you'd think with their big bodied WR group that guys like Lazard would do well in that situation. Don't recall seeing a lot of play action. GB didn't break a lot of tackles. They could use a YAC monster type at WR like SF has with Deebo and Aiyuk.
The Panthers DL showed some speed that gave GB trouble, and I think they missed Jamaal in there for pass protection, it looked to me like Jones missed/guessed wrong a few times. Jones had a few good runs, but having him on a pitch count limited them. MVS disappeared this game, except a bit as a blocker and drawing a nice DPI call.

Defense didn't play too bad, and while Teddy often looked uncomfortable I was expecting more disruption/sacks against the CAR OL. Amos had a good game, King did not have a good game. at least he was in the right place/right time with the Teddy fumble (nice job by Barnes to poke it out). King ran a 4.43 and DJ Moore a 4.42 at the combine, and Moore caught King on that fumble return. King is either really slowed by his injuries, or his combine results were seriously gamed.

Barnes/Martin are the future ILBs, although Barnes can't stay healthy which is a problem. He needs to figure that out or GB will be back to searching again. Kirksey is so-so but likely gone after the season as a cap cut. Seemed like everything GB gave up was in the middle of the field.

I realize a lot of players like to go for the knockout hit, or just try to tackle without extending their arms (and thus prevent shoulder injuries) but the GB defense doesn't tackle well.

CaptainKickass
12-20-2020, 02:34 PM
The Packers had 96 net passing yards and still won

Odd statistic.
Not likely to get it done in the post-season. Hopefully just an anomaly and not a trend.

Guiness
12-20-2020, 02:37 PM

This is the worst I remember feeling after a win. It was nice that the defense stepped up and got them the win, but I'm very worried about how much the offense stumbled. It was so much like the Colts game, I'm afraid it's going to give whoever they meet in the playoffs the template they need to shut them down.

hoosier
12-20-2020, 04:21 PM
It looked to me like Packers played down to the level of the opponent in the second half. An opponent that wasn't as bad as its record indicates and that wasn't about to roll over after going down 21-3. But GB showed in first half what it's capable of, which makes me less worried than if they had struggled the entire game. I don't have much of an answer to the observation that Panthers adjusted and then Pack could not find a good counter. That does seem to be a bit of a worrisome trend going back at least to the Indy game.

GB-Brandon
12-20-2020, 07:48 PM
I think it’s pretty simple. We’re not as good as our record and they aren’t as bad as they’re record. The main difference being we have Aaron Rodgers and they have Teddy Bridgewater. That pretty much puts it in perspective.

Joemailman
12-20-2020, 07:51 PM
This is the worst I remember feeling after a win. It was nice that the defense stepped up and got them the win, but I'm very worried about how much the offense stumbled. It was so much like the Colts game, I'm afraid it's going to give whoever they meet in the playoffs the template they need to shut them down.

The game against Jax was far worse. Packers needed a 4th quarter TD drive to pull that one out against a terrible Jax team that did not have their starting QB. This game the Packers actually played quite well the 1st half against a Panthers team that is far better than the Jaguars.

JohnMexico
12-20-2020, 07:52 PM
That WR screen needs to go in the trashbin Thats the recipe for our 3 and outs.

GB-Brandon
12-20-2020, 08:18 PM
Yeah, when things get tough the “WR Screen” appears to be LaFluers Bread and Butter play. For someone who is supposed to be an offensive genius he should be able do to better.

Smidgeon
12-21-2020, 12:55 AM
The Panthers doubled Adams all day and keyed on the bubble screens (didn't even hesitate if they saw Rodgers turn that way). If the Oline had been stouter, I would have expected to see a pump-fake to a bubble screen and a throw down field, but who knows. The Panther D played strong in the second half. The Packers couldn't find anything downfield.

Guiness
12-21-2020, 01:16 AM
The Panthers doubled Adams all day and keyed on the bubble screens (didn't even hesitate if they saw Rodgers turn that way). If the Oline had been stouter, I would have expected to see a pump-fake to a bubble screen and a throw down field, but who knows. The Panther D played strong in the second half. The Packers couldn't find anything downfield.

And Adams and Lazard each dropped what I felt were easy catches. I feel like if they made those two catches it changes the momentum and the Panthers are the ones trying to adjust. But the didn't, so the Packers continued to look for something that worked.

Fritz
12-21-2020, 06:55 AM
Both MLF and Rodgers were inderstandably pretty unhappy with the offenaive performance in the second half. They have a lot of work to to figure out how to attack a soft shell defense that doubles up on Adams on almost every play.

What they need is a receiver like "Soft Shell" Taco Wallace.

Fritz
12-21-2020, 06:57 AM
Anyone else notice that Lazard has become more irrelevant? Don't know if he's still hurt, but he's not playing well at all.

beveaux1
12-21-2020, 07:06 AM
Lazard is still the 2nd choice as WR on this team. I think Rodgers still trusts the RBs more and Tongan about as much as Lazard.

Obviously, Adams is the first choice and the drop off from there is immense as is the drop in talent from Adams.

beveaux1
12-21-2020, 07:21 AM
Scheme is important, but talent is more important. A defense can adapt to a scheme. The Panthers adapted to our run pass option scheme.

Take away Adams and we’ll struggle on offense because the rest of the WRs are not particularly good.

It’s the reason we have problems with good defensive teams with good defensive coaches.

We’re a team with a very good scheme and good personnel. Weak at WR outside of Adams, but with weapons at RB and TE.

We’re a solid playoff team that could make a run, but we have weaknesses on offense and especially on defense that might keep us out of the Superb Owl. I’m enjoying the ride.

hoosier
12-21-2020, 07:28 AM
That take doesn't explain why Packer offense has managed to be so good over past two years when Adams is hurt.

beveaux1
12-21-2020, 08:13 AM
When we’ve been good and Adams is out, it usually involves a change in scheme that had not been previously scouted.

Jones used as a WR is one example. It also coincided with playing much weaker teams or teams missing key personnel.

We have a very good offensive scheme with a very inventive play caller. And we have Rodgers. As big a piece in the puzzle as Adams is, he’s not the only piece. With him, we can be competitive with the good teams. That’s what makes it fun.

gbgary
12-21-2020, 12:00 PM
listen veeeery closely to MLF's presser from yesterday. some subtle nuggets in there as to why the 2nd half O was such a beatdown.

Joemailman
12-21-2020, 12:10 PM
listen veeeery closely to MLF's presser from yesterday. some subtle nuggets in there as to why the 2nd half O was such a beatdown.

Like maybe some of those quick outs to WR's were supposed to be runs?

Sparkey
12-21-2020, 08:50 PM
The 2nd half was an example on just about how any team can win. Interior pass rush. Patrick was absolutely man handled by Brown and Burns blew past our highly paid Left Tackle.

Linsley showing he deserves to get paid by displaying what they miss when he is not on the field.

Also, as good as A.Jones is with the ball in his hands, he is a huge liability in pass protection.

bobblehead
12-21-2020, 08:57 PM
You are all wrong. We weren't productive after the initial quarter because the Panthers got great pressure on Rodgers. There was no time for routes to develop. Burns was a beast. They crushed the pocket on Patrick. We should have adjusted with a rolling pocket and a couple deep shots to soften them up. Packers also refused to run more than once in a row which was a HUGE mistake. I thought we were a team committed to the run? In the second half we did NOT run the ball enough.

bobblehead
12-21-2020, 08:58 PM
The 2nd half was an example on just about how any team can win. Interior pass rush. Patrick was absolutely man handled by Brown and Burns blew past our highly paid Left Tackle.

Linsley showing he deserves to get paid by displaying what they miss when he is not on the field.

Also, as good as A.Jones is with the ball in his hands, he is a huge liability in pass protection.

Hmm...should have read about 2 more posts before I responded. Well played sparkey.

Joemailman
12-21-2020, 09:02 PM
You are all wrong. We weren't productive after the initial quarter because the Panthers got great pressure on Rodgers. There was no time for routes to develop. Burns was a beast. They crushed the pocket on Patrick. We should have adjusted with a rolling pocket and a couple deep shots to soften them up. Packers also refused to run more than once in a row which was a HUGE mistake. I thought we were a team committed to the run? In the second half we did NOT run the ball enough.

MLF has said they didn't run enough. Question is whether that was his play calling, or Rodgers switching from run to quick out.

gbgary
12-23-2020, 03:23 PM
MLF has said they didn't run enough. Question is whether that was his play calling, or Rodgers switching from run to quick out.

listen closely to that sunday presser. it was rodgers. oh MLF took some blame but he always does on ANY matter that is negative.

pressure was an issue only because rodgers was holding the ball too long. he got away from running the ball. he ignored the middle of the field. deep routes take time. time he didn't have. should have taken what he was given. there were a couple of plays were the O-line were beaten but they were the exception. first downs and extending drives should have been the focus.

GB-Brandon
12-23-2020, 04:19 PM
listen closely to that sunday presser. it was rodgers. oh MLF took some blame but he always does on ANY matter that is negative.

pressure was an issue only because rodgers was holding the ball too long. he got away from running the ball. he ignored the middle of the field. deep routes take time. time he didn't have. should have taken what he was given. there were a couple of plays were the O-line were beaten but they were the exception. first downs and extending drives should have been the focus.

I have heard rumors that it was Rodgers mostly on audibles and not LaFluer’s calls.

run pMc
12-23-2020, 04:29 PM
There were times the pass rush was meeting Rodgers at his drop point, that is on the OL. Lucas Patrick had a very forgettable game against a good (Top 10 pick) rookie in Derrick Brown. Brian Burns was also a speed problem at times. Credit the Panthers there. There were also times Rodgers held the ball, looked off (or missed) open receivers. There were at least two plays where I think he threw to who he wanted to vs. who it was supposed to go to (and was schemed open).

Rodgers did not have a good game; maybe the MVP talk got to him and he was pressing. The OL had a bad game; maybe that spooked Rodgers a bit.
Also -- did you look at Rodgers' passing chart for the game? Barely anything beyond the LOS. He averaged 2.8 yards per pass attempt. They averaged 7.2 yard per carry running the ball -- think about that: assuming the average held (unlikely) they could have run the ball every down and done almost 3 times better.

I wouldn't doubt Rodgers RPO'd and ad-libbed a lot, and it hurt their efficiency, but MLF has to rein that in a little. Losing Jamaal hurt their game plan I think, but they were not good. If he's still out for TEN, this is a Dillon game.

Stop the WR screens for goodness sake. The only time they should do that is when they have an obvious numbers mismatch and are throwing to Austin with big guys like Lazard and MVS in front to block. That probably happens 2-3x a game, not 10.

GB-Brandon
12-23-2020, 06:09 PM
This would be the perfect time to unleash Dillion in a cold physical game at Lambeau. He should be rested and fresh. I like it.

The Patrick think has to be figured out too. If they have to leave a guy in to help protect then so be it. THEY NEED TO WORK SOMETHiNG IN OTHER THEN THE WR SCREEN!!! Everyone knows when it’s coming at this point. It’s basically a wasted play. I’m sure with all the talk adjustments have been made.

We really need to win this game for so many reasons. A win mentally changes a lot of things!!