PDA

View Full Version : The philosophy of McCarthy

mmmdk
09-13-2006, 02:58 AM
McCarthy had a game plan for the Bears and he stayed with it for 3 quaters. Hence Packers were shotout at Lambeau. He did not adapt and try to win - at all costs. I do see, however, what McCarthy is trying to do; to build a new offense with a huge running scheme (ZBS) to set up the pass. McCarthy believes it's an attitude, you stay strongly with your philosophy. That could be good but only if you actually have the talent to back it up. More importantly, presently, is the confidence level of players as it is the backbone of achieving a winning attitude.

Here's what I see; too many Packer players lack confidence and that's really troublesome. As for talent, well, it's a young team and it's way too early to judge the talent mass. I see promise but not in bunches. I also put emphasis on the body language of the Packer players after a loss. I think they're too business oriented, I want passion. It hurts losing - SHOW IT.

Back to McCarthy, he wanted to reestablish the Lambeau advantage. That's important, VERY IMPORTANT. McCarthy has be even louder on winning at home. It's a top priority and the next huge test comes sunday vs the Saints. There're only 8 home games in the regular season and a loss on sunday would put the Lambeau advantage into a deep hole. So what does McCarthy do on sunday? Does he stay with his gameplan/philosophy even if it's not working (after 3 quaters) or does he go try win at all costs? Go out swinging?

Fritz
09-13-2006, 06:44 AM
I understand the need to be flexible, but I still like what MM did. Unleashing Favre when the team is behind often seems to end up with interceptions more than touchdowns, so I'm not sure what exactly MM should have done differently.

I also felt that last year, and even the year before, Sherman was way too quick to abandon the run. He seemed to panic in terms of the play calling.

wist43
09-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I tend to agree with Fritz... The game went about as well as I could have imagined. Truthfully, I thought it would be much worse - and it would have been much worse if M3 had abandoned the run earlier.

This is a very young football team - it is also a very bad football team. It doesn't make any sense to start futilely winging the ball all over the field when they don't have the playmakers to pull it off.

The best we can hope for is to see improvement over the course of the season. Determine who among the young guys can play, and who can't, and go into next year with a better read on the roster and what needs to be done next in the rebuilding process.

Hopefully they'll improve, and maybe we can get to 4+ wins on the season. One thing is for sure, we'll be drafting very high again next year.

SudsMcBucky
09-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Hopefully they'll improve, and maybe we can get to 4+ wins on the season. One thing is for sure, we'll be drafting very high again next year.

With any luck, we will be drafting Hawk's brother-in-law. Family reunion time!

Zool
09-13-2006, 07:53 AM

With any luck, we will be drafting Hawk's brother-in-law. Family reunion time!I still say if we get top 5 we go after Peterson from Oklahoma. Rogers has a chance to be a good mid-level NFL QB. Give him a running game and a strong D and he will win games by not making the dumb mistake.

SudsMcBucky
09-13-2006, 09:14 AM

With any luck, we will be drafting Hawk's brother-in-law. Family reunion time!I still say if we get top 5 we go after Peterson from Oklahoma. Rogers has a chance to be a good mid-level NFL QB. Give him a running game and a strong D and he will win games by not making the dumb mistake.

I kind of said that in jest. Actually, I'd really like to see Calvin Johnson in G&G. Adding him to DD and Jennings would again make the WR corps a strength.

mmmdk
09-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey, thanx for great input. But what about the lack confidence on the team? Sometimes it's good to believe you're better than you actually are; that's the way you pull an upset. Believing in yourself is paramount and young players need to they're good/great to take the next step - that is if their talent allows it. I once played in a soccer turnament and our team was below average but we were two good players and we made our team mates believe they could play great. We went to the final but lost! Rebuilding, that's a word the fans and media uses but not the Green Bay Packers...why not? I mean, Favre is on board and he won't quit so why not call it what it is - there's no shame in that. Is it pride? No, it's just rebuilding and Packers are my team through it all.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
I think maybe the team refuses to use the word rebuilding because they don't want the players hearing it, buying into it, or using it as an excuse to think that they don't have a shot at winning every game.

RashanGary
09-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I tend to agree with Fritz... The game went about as well as I could have imagined. Truthfully, I thought it would be much worse - and it would have been much worse if M3 had abandoned the run earlier.

This is a very young football team - it is also a very bad football team. It doesn't make any sense to start futilely winging the ball all over the field when they don't have the playmakers to pull it off.

The best we can hope for is to see improvement over the course of the season. Determine who among the young guys can play, and who can't, and go into next year with a better read on the roster and what needs to be done next in the rebuilding process.

I completely agree. Any gain we get this year will be the individual growth and development of players that will be here for the next few years. As for winning now, that is a pipe dream. I still think we'll win 6 because we have a disgustingly easy schedule but we should end up with a top 10 pick. There are a couple DE's, WR's and probably a bunch of other guys who could go in that area and help our team. The hope is that we lose a bunch of close ones and end up 4-12 again. In that case we could get another top 5 player who hopefully is as nice of a prospect as Hawk.

mraynrand
09-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey, thanx for great input. But what about the lack confidence on the team? Sometimes it's good to believe you're better than you actually are; that's the way you pull an upset.

This is a good point. Once, I was hiking in a National Park, and I came upon a 10 foot wide chasm. I said to myself "Mraynrand, have confidence in yourself. You can jump across." So jump I did. For the record, I can only jump 8 feet, and I'm what the trauma docs call "very lucky" and "a slow healer."

oregonpackfan
09-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Zool,

Like you, I am a big admirer of Adrian Peterson, RB from Oklahoma. For those of you who haven't seen Peterson play, Oklahoma is playing Oregon on national TV this Saturday. He is definitely worth watching.

Playing in Eugene, the Ducks are actually 4 point favorites! I bet on the Sooners with a friend and I gave him 10 points. Despite the points, I feel I will win the bet. The Ducks defense has been subpar in stopping the run their first two games.

OPF

mmmdk
09-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Hehe, beating a 10 feet wide chasm (oo) or the Patriots is virtually the same thing :lol:

potsdam_11
09-13-2006, 12:10 PM
I posted prior to the game, that the Pack needed to throw first.. ala the WCO, and in retrospect I still believe that would have been the best approach. Green looked fabulous in a number of runs, but he seemed to be playing alone, and certainly at a different speed than the O-line.

It wasn't all to many years ago that, Favre, Bennett Chumura, and Free/Brooks, were defeating hard-nose defenses with a pass first mentality. The few short passes attempted seemed to be quite effective, and the short passing game plays more to the current strengths of this offense. Favre, Driver, Franks and Green.. versus Green. & a very young Offensive line... Arguing the point further at this time is moot.

Obviously, the strict adherence to the run game, against a very formidable run defense didn't exactly produce a win.. against a lesser defense perhaps. I honestly didn't think this Packer team had a chance against a very stout Bear's team. Moreover, this game neither clarifies, nor clouds my perception of this Packer team, too many sins of the past shackle their potential. I will wait patiently to see what this team brings to the table after 7 or 8 games before I throw out any jeers or accolades.....

As for the confidence.... like falling into a chasm, I suspect the Packer's confidence was stymied by a similar "sudden impact syndrome.". Once they have a competitive game or two, the confidence should grow by occasional leaps, and intermittent bounds, despite a mis-step or two.. :D

Tarlam!
09-13-2006, 12:13 PM
So jump I did. For the record, I can only jump 8 feet, and I'm what the trauma docs call "very lucky" and "a slow healer."

BOMNF!