PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs Titans

Joemailman
12-27-2020, 10:17 PM
Wow.

Packers run for almost 250 yards.

Rodgers had as many TD passes as incompletions.

Defense holds Henry under 100 yards and gives up total of 11 completions for 121 yards.

Gary was dominant tonight.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2020, 10:20 PM
Gary with 5 QB hurries. Jaire with another great game. Brown and Davis combined for 4 catches for 43 yards on 9 targets.

call_me_ishmael
12-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Gary, Alexander, and the safety balled out tonight. This team could win the whole thing.

Fritz
12-27-2020, 10:22 PM
AJ Dillon. Pretty nifty, as we used to say.

Defense played great tonight.

Fritz
12-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Savage looking a little like Nick Collins tonight.

Joemailman
12-27-2020, 10:27 PM
Savage looking a little like Nick Collins tonight.

Yes, but I think he's a year ahead of Nick. He and Amos are a hell of a pair right now.

Guiness
12-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Not much bad to say!

I few missteps in the kicking game - Crosby with an uncharacteristic XP miss and the blocked FG try. Called back for an offside the announcers seemed to think was phantom so hard to tell if that was the cause.

The secondary not running Tannehill was odd. 49 yards to go, you'd think someone would've caught him.

What else? Scott with a 0 yard average? Actually 0/0 so undefined!

GB-Brandon
12-27-2020, 10:39 PM
Probably the most satisfying Packer win for me in a long long long time. Just going to enjoy this for a bit.

KYPack
12-27-2020, 10:40 PM
Not much bad to say!

I few missteps in the kicking game - Crosby with an uncharacteristic XP miss and the blocked FG try. Called back for an offside the announcers seemed to think was phantom so hard to tell if that was the cause.

The secondary not running Tannehill was odd. 49 yards to go, you'd think someone would've caught him.

What else? Scott with a 0 yard average? Actually 0/0 so undefined!

At least that chickenshit tried to make a tackle on the block field goal return.

Can you imagine how much he got fucked with by the special teams boys after those two shit tackles (non-tackles) on the punt returns?

The Tannehill run?

Solid call. The whole secondary sold out to stop the king.

You can't win em all Fritz.

Guiness
12-27-2020, 10:46 PM
At least that chickenshit tried to make a tackle on the block field goal return.

Can you imagine how much he got fucked with by the special teams boys after those two shit tackles (non-tackles) on the punt returns?

The Tannehill run?

Solid call. The whole secondary sold out to stop the king.

You can't win em all Fritz.

Scott did make the tackle on the blocked FG, but it takes up the same amount of space on the stat sheet as his punting.

I know they sold out, but you think they'd run him down even with a 10 yard headstart! I'm sure his 40 time is on the wrong side of 4.5 seconds!:huh:

Bossman641
12-27-2020, 10:52 PM
That was a fun game. Gary is proving a LOT of doubters wrong.

Tony Oday
12-27-2020, 11:03 PM
Dillon looked great. Big Bob with a good game. DA and AR are lights out.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2020, 11:11 PM
I know they sold out, but you think they'd run him down even with a 10 yard headstart! I'm sure his 40 time is on the wrong side of 4.5 seconds!:huh:

Actually, Tannehill is a great athlete. He was a good college WR (had 844 yards receiving as a freshman) before moving to QB. He ran 4.58 40 at the combine. For comparison sake, Davante Adams ran a 4.56 at the combine.

MadtownPacker
12-27-2020, 11:42 PM
I guess it’s wrong of us to feel getting outran by Tannehill is embarrassing. If it had been Lamar Jackson we wouldn’t even blink.

CaptainKickass
12-27-2020, 11:45 PM
The Packers have rushed for 180 or more yards in three of the last five games.
Nobody wants to face A.J. Dillon running the football in the cold at Lambeau Field.
Aaron channeled his best Brett Favre impersonation when he threw that fifth interception
Tannehill finished with a 40.5 passer rating.
13-yard pass to Dominique Dafney (Fred? Velma? Shaggy? Scoob?)
Did I see a four defensive lineman 'jumbo' package?

Freak Out
12-28-2020, 12:05 AM
Dafney who?

MadScientist
12-28-2020, 02:54 AM
Not much bad to say!

The announcers were dumb fucks on that one, just whining that a play that might get TN back in the game to keep things exciting. The ref who made the call is standing on the line. It's a simple, straight forward call. No judgement there.

run pMc
12-28-2020, 08:59 AM
The announcers were dumb fucks on that one, just whining that a play that might get TN back in the game to keep things exciting. The ref who made the call is standing on the line. It's a simple, straight forward call. No judgement there.

I kinda felt like the refs made a couple of bailout calls (the hands to the face, the offsides), but the first one was legit. On the offsides, I agree it's hard to say if you're not standing on the line. The refs also missed Jones stepping out of bounds, so all the Packer haters out there will have lots of fodder for the "Packers cheat" and "The Refs and League office want GB to win" conspiracy theories. There really weren't many penalties called in this game which (pleasantly) surprised me. They just let them play.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2020, 12:49 PM
True about the penalties. Most of us woulda been raising holy hell if the shoe had been on the other foot. I hate to say it, but it reminded me of the way the refs favored the Celtics in that first Bucks game. Shit happens, but is it really shit when it's in your favor? hahahahaha

RashanGary
12-28-2020, 05:27 PM
Probably the most satisfying Packer win for me in a long long long time. Just going to enjoy this for a bit.

Cool!! For sure. I can't even claim to know anything because I think best case every year. But this is pretty much the best case that a few of us foreshadowed. Glad that best case finally came though! Most years my best case ends up looking like a bunch of bullshit.

But the defense is definitely taken a step. All of that practice and effort they put into learning how to play zone defense is paying off with the way the mixed and masked their looks yesterday. That is oh so promising. Three years of being a young and inexperienced secondary have morphed into a really damn solid young veteran bunch! Keeping the band together in the secondary has to be a priority! They've just now figured out how to do this thing. Keep it going!

GB-Brandon
12-28-2020, 06:05 PM
Linsley coming back for this game was also a “Game Changer.” The whole complexion of the OL and what we could do upfront changed. Dude is a total stud!!!

Bretsky
12-28-2020, 06:26 PM
Linsley may be the best center in the NFL; he's a stud.

AJo is history; still one of my favorite all time Packers though. I hope he gets filthy rich wherever he goes

GB-Brandon
12-28-2020, 07:12 PM
Linsley may be the best center in the NFL; he's a stud.

AJo is history; still one of my favorite all time Packers though. I hope he gets filthy rich wherever he goes

Yeah, AJ is a situation where they let it play out. If Rodgers somehow didn’t play well and AJ did then they might of entertained keeping AJ with a Rodgers exit strategy in mind but with Rodgers probably winning MVP the numbers just don’t add up in Green Bay for AJ.

I think we’re gonna start to see even more of Dillion moving forward on this run. Gute pretty much had all bases covered either way.

Except at WR!! :soap:

However; as I’ve posted if what we saw yesterday is real on that defense it might not matter. With a defense that plays like that and an MVP QB with what they do have would be enough in the current NFL landscape.

GB-Brandon
12-28-2020, 07:33 PM
I love AJ Too. Dillon is a MULE. They can re-sign Williams for cheap. You can find a speed back all day long in the 4th-5Th round. It’s just the way it is. Gute is going about it the right way here.

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 08:24 PM
You don't want to be #92.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1343631978051096578

Guiness
12-28-2020, 09:26 PM
Actually, Tannehill is a great athlete. He was a good college WR (had 844 yards receiving as a freshman) before moving to QB. He ran 4.58 40 at the combine. For comparison sake, Davante Adams ran a 4.56 at the combine.

I went and looked at his numbers after my last post and saw his time, I was shocked! 4.58 is certainly a respectable time, and while Adams gets caught from behind he doesn't get a 10 yard 2 mississipi's before pursuit starts!

GB-Brandon
12-28-2020, 09:46 PM
Yeah, Tannehill is fast. He used to run the ball when he was with the Dolphins all the time on zone reads. I’ve let that play go. I saw what I needed to see. Overall, collectively for the first time this defense played with the vision we have all been waiting for!!!!

I saw it with a play here and a play there with Savage in the previous weeks with a little more here and a little more there and incrementally growing. He is Fucken dialed in right now. Amos is playing like a beast too. When you get safety play like that and then have a near shut down corner in Jaire it opens up so much. Throw in the new juice coming with Gary and it’s BEAUTIFUL!!!

GB-Brandon
12-28-2020, 09:54 PM
They are also getting really good snaps out of Kamal Martin. Barnes has been helpful too.

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 08:44 AM
I love AJ Too. Dillon is a MULE. They can re-sign Williams for cheap. You can find a speed back all day long in the 4th-5Th round. It’s just the way it is. Gute is going about it the right way here.

This is pretty much it. 3rd and long or playing from behind and needing to score means certain things for the running back position. Things like pass protection, screen ability, intelligence and chemistry with the QB, route running and hands, and maybe the ability to run a little too. Those things matter more when you have to pass than pure running ability. Must pass situations are a decent part of every NFL game and a huge part if you're behind to a good team in the playoffs. Other than Kamara and McCaffrey, Williams is the 3rd best 3rd down back in the NFL. And because he's cheap and played so much ball with 12,it makes him even more valuable to our team.

As far as Dillon, he is a speed back. He's just as fast as Jones. He will break many a huge run in his career.

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 08:52 AM
Dillon finally getting comfortable in the offense combined with the 3rd down back who 12 loves working with because of chemistry and 33 who 12 also loves working with due to chemistry and game breaking ability......

We have 3 very different and very talented running backs. It is one of the biggest position luxuries and strengths on the playoff contending teams.

WR/TE we have just enough with Adams, Lizard, Big Bob, with the 4 spot a mix of (EQ/Mercedes/MVS/Austin/the new FB and Stergberger)

Elite QB
Elite RB stable with perfect compliments
Upper tier OL
When healthy just enough pass weapons to be considered solid)

That offense, in the salary cap NFL, is absolutely loaded. LOADED!

Joemailman
12-29-2020, 08:54 AM
It's ironic that Dillon's first significant game came against Tennessee because I suspect another Derrick Henry is exactly what Gute and MLF had in mind when they drafted Dillon.

Some 40 times:

A.J. Dillon 4.53
Derrick Henry 4.54
Davante Adams 4.56
Aaron Jones 4.56

bobblehead
12-29-2020, 09:51 AM
If we let Jones walk (and we should) my wish list is to draft Kenneth Gainwell in the 2nd round. Dude is undersized, but has great vision and hands/routes like a WR.

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 11:08 AM
If we let Jones walk (and we should) my wish list is to draft Kenneth Gainwell in the 2nd round. Dude is undersized, but has great vision and hands/routes like a WR.

I like Kylin Hill in the 3-4th round area. Amazing value there as far as I’m concerned. Very comparable skill set to AJ. Will have to wait how combine etc etc and all that stuff shakes out. He did quit team after locker room fight this year.

https://youtu.be/HMMDusb7zKA

I also have my eye on an amazing 2nd round WR prospect!!!

Joemailman
12-29-2020, 11:18 AM

Not sure I want to use a 2nd round pick on a RB 2 years in a row. But he would be a great fit. Brandon mentioned Kylin Hill. It's beyond early, but Draft Network has Gainwell at #98 0verall, Hill at #128 overall. https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

run pMc
12-29-2020, 11:28 AM

I'm with this, although I'd prefer him in R3. R2 for another RB feels high, although with where GB is likely to be drafting it's practically a R3. Etienne and the two RBs from UNC will likely be the first ones off the board, and Etienne might be late R1.

Javian Hawkins is another one who could be a speed back to Dillon's power. Honestly I think OL, DL and CB will get first looks, unless there's a stud there and Jones walks. I think RB might be an early Day 3 pick though. GB has 10 picks; I think the cap might restrict using them from trading up a lot. First contract players are cheap. I wonder if a lot of teams will try to trade down, so maybe they can move around without giving up a lot.

run pMc
12-29-2020, 11:35 AM
Not sure I want to use a 2nd round pick on a RB 2 years in a row. But he would be a great fit. Brandon mentioned Kylin Hill. It's beyond early, but Draft Network has Gainwell at #98 0verall, Hill at #128 overall. https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Not surprisingly, sometimes their prospect rankings are waaay off. (Dax Raymond in R3? Elgton Jenkins in R4?)

Right now the rankings are really weird, but a lot of it is off 2019 season and I don't think they'll get more thoroughly updated for another month.
I played around with their draft machine the other day and it was all big men in the trenches and the top CB/WRs going fast. There were lots of RBs and S available in mid/late rounds.

Agree picking another RB in R2 would be a stunner and is unlikely.

run pMc
12-29-2020, 12:10 PM
I also have my eye on an amazing 2nd round WR prospect!!!

Am curious about this.
There are some saying the WR class this year might be as good as last year, but with the weird CFB schedule it's hard to judge.
Looked a little bit at Austin Watkins since he seems like a big body, early-Day 3 type that Gute might go for. Seems to runs the go, deep post, and back shoulder routes well enough.

They might like their current crop of WR on the roster, but I really think they have to consider drafting another WR before R5. The offense would be really something with better talent, and if they have any plans of playing Jordan Love they have to surround him with talent.

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Draft Network has one of my better prospects at #194. Now he did suffer a knee injury and it is very early so I guess we will just leave it at that for now and focus on this run we’re on.

But just for kicks and giggles this will be a guy I will have a close eye on as far as medicals that are disclosed and combine etc etc. I’ve watched him all year and his film alone at this early stage has him as a 2nd-3rd round grade for me early on. Very Explosive route runner. One of the best in the country actually. Great at the catch point. His combine will be very important. He has those things I look for. Could be “That Piece” for this Packer offense!! It was really tough to see him hurt his knee as he was just dominating everyone. Basically unstoppable!!! I like this kid a lot.

These are “Last Year Highlights”. He was even better this year. Tough to say right now where he will land but he has the tape.

https://youtu.be/I9lOSA8yI0g

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 12:14 PM
I'm down for a WR in the late first or second this year.

A. Most team's are either loaded up already or loaded up last year so WR's should slip

B. It's a deep class to begin with

The combination of the above listed A and Bs makes for a multiplier effect and I highly doubt Gute can pass up on that kind of value, even with the best offense in the league already.

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2020, 12:19 PM
This is pretty much it. 3rd and long or playing from behind and needing to score means certain things for the running back position. Things like pass protection, screen ability, intelligence and chemistry with the QB, route running and hands, and maybe the ability to run a little too. Those things matter more when you have to pass than pure running ability. Must pass situations are a decent part of every NFL game and a huge part if you're behind to a good team in the playoffs. Other than Kamara and McCaffrey, Williams is the 3rd best 3rd down back in the NFL. And because he's cheap and played so much ball with 12,it makes him even more valuable to our team.

As far as Dillon, he is a speed back. He's just as fast as Jones. He will break many a huge run in his career.

You and Brandon are dead wrong on this. It is absolutely essential to re-sign Aaron Jones. Speed on the field is often a helluva lot different from 40 time. Jones, Derrick Henry, and many others demonstrate that. Also, it is not a mistake to use Jones in short yardage. Anybody, even Dillon, even Henry, whoever, can get stopped if he's hit early or by a big enough crowd. Jones is way better than most at either dodging an early hit or getting low and getting in against a short yardage D.

I wouldn't mind at all having all three - Jones, Dillon, and Williams - but I'm not so sure Williams will be that cheap, and as things are evolving, he is definitely the third best of the three.

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2020, 12:22 PM
And no, it still would not be wise to draft a WR early this year. We are way more than adequate with Davante, Lazard, MVS, St. Brown, and Malik Taylor plus our abundance of TEs. Maybe we get one more guy late, if that.

Joemailman
12-29-2020, 12:47 PM
And no, it still would not be wise to draft a WR early this year. We are way more than adequate with Davante, Lazard, MVS, St. Brown, and Malik Taylor plus our abundance of TEs. Maybe we get one more guy late, if that.

If a guy is available you think is great, you don't want to pass on him. Should TT have passed on Jordy Nelson because he had Driver, Jennings and James Jones?

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2020, 01:09 PM
First of all, that was 3 instead of 4 or 5. As I recall - I could be wrong, when Nelson was drafted, WR was talked about as a primary need by most people. We probably have more important considerations this time.

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 01:17 PM
I'm with this, although I'd prefer him in R3. R2 for another RB feels high, although with where GB is likely to be drafting it's practically a R3. Etienne and the two RBs from UNC will likely be the first ones off the board, and Etienne might be late R1.

Javian Hawkins is another one who could be a speed back to Dillon's power. Honestly I think OL, DL and CB will get first looks, unless there's a stud there and Jones walks. I think RB might be an early Day 3 pick though. GB has 10 picks; I think the cap might restrict using them from trading up a lot. First contract players are cheap. I wonder if a lot of teams will try to trade down, so maybe they can move around without giving up a lot.

Demteic Felton(UCLA) is another option. He could be got later and can play both RB and receiver. Would be a nice toy in LaFluers system. My main point being is there will be life after Aaron Jones as much as it hurts!

https://youtu.be/dYB0MVf1_-g

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 01:20 PM
First of all, that was 3 instead of 4 or 5. As I recall - I could be wrong, when Nelson was drafted, WR was talked about as a primary need by most people. We probably have more important considerations this time.

Well the Packer front office doesn’t agree with you as they tried to make a huge mid-season trade for top tier WR at the dead line. I fully expect a receiver to be drafted in the first couple rounds and the Packers don’t have a single one under contract after 2021. It’s pretty simple math man!!!

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 01:33 PM
If it’s a true “Draft and Development Operation” then you have to keep the cogs turning and have rookie deals and guys on four year contracts to make it work. To not draft a receiver would literally be running the tires down to the steal with how the Packers are set up currently at the receiver position. I would expect the Packers to probably draft two receivers. One early and one late at the least. It’s beyond time.

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 03:11 PM
Lazard and EQ are tough to peg just yet. Maybe theyre maxed out as young players or maybe there's a whole lot more. MVS is one of the top producing deep threats over the last 3 years and a good blocker. So he's useful in some situations as well.

However, the stars are aligning for a 2nd or 3rd round receiver next year. I'd be surprised if we didn't take one.

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Last three years over 40 yard catches

Tyreek Hill 19
Stefon Diggs 15
MVS 14

MVS is the best blocker of the three. However, obviously, not nearly as complete of a route runner and a much worse WR. The point isn't that MVS is great, but that he does stretch the field and opens up other guys by drawing deep attention and opens up the run game as a blocker. So there are times where he comes in handy and is nice to have as a 4th option after Adams, Bob and Lizard.

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 03:22 PM
I think some of 12s success this year is because he knows there has to be safety help over 83 and it opens up the field for 12 to operate.

run pMc
12-29-2020, 03:36 PM
I agree with GB-Brandon on both Felton as a Ervin replacement type of player, and also that Gute needs to draft and develop some more WRs. Adams contract ends next year and so do the rest of the WRs. Lazard and MVS are nice role players to have but they haven't done much to show they are WR1 types or dominant playmakers. You can expect to get 5-6 catches between them per game if you're lucky. Longer term, they need more than that.

It will take time to develop a draft pick into a WR1 or WR2, so they better start soon. That Gute was kicking the tires on players like Emmanuel Sanders and Will Fuller (and how many WRs he's signed/cycled thru the PS) tells you he knows they need better WR talent; he's still looking and I think this offseason he addresses it.

Picture it this way: imagine the Vikings offense this year with and without Justin Jefferson. Adding him with Thielen and Cook makes them much tougher to defend. Now imagine Adams with an above-average WR2 with Dillon, Jones, Tonyan... with Lazard picking up 3rd downs and MVS throwing blocks and running deep routes. That player takes the offense to a higher level.

run pMc
12-29-2020, 03:46 PM
I'm not arguing that Lazard or MVS are bad players. They have earned their roster spots. I am arguing that they are often asked to overachieve based on their abilities, and would be better suited as WR3 or WR4 types playing the roles they can consistently excel in.

When Adams has missed games, they won most of the games by using the RBs and TEs in the passing game more. (There are stats to prove this if you Google) The other WRs basically did what they otherwise would have had Adams been in the game; it was the RBs and TEs who picked up the slack. Having a running mate to go with Adams who is capable of carrying the passing game would open up the offense and make it more effective.

As for Funchess, it's anyone's guess what he will bring but I'm not holding my breath. He was considered by some to be a better Lazard, although I think Lazard's hands more reliable and his effort in the run game is superior. Maybe they release him for cap room, but I think they bring him in to see what he's got after being off for essentially two years before they make a decision.

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 04:41 PM
I agree with GB-Brandon on both Felton as a Ervin replacement type of player, and also that Gute needs to draft and develop some more WRs. Adams contract ends next year and so do the rest of the WRs. Lazard and MVS are nice role players to have but they haven't done much to show they are WR1 types or dominant playmakers. You can expect to get 5-6 catches between them per game if you're lucky. Longer term, they need more than that.

It will take time to develop a draft pick into a WR1 or WR2, so they better start soon. That Gute was kicking the tires on players like Emmanuel Sanders and Will Fuller (and how many WRs he's signed/cycled thru the PS) tells you he knows they need better WR talent; he's still looking and I think this offseason he addresses it.

Picture it this way: imagine the Vikings offense this year with and without Justin Jefferson. Adding him with Thielen and Cook makes them much tougher to defend. Now imagine Adams with an above-average WR2 with Dillon, Jones, Tonyan... with Lazard picking up 3rd downs and MVS throwing blocks and running deep routes. That player takes the offense to a higher level.

Yeah, it’s simple math to add a receiver(weapon) to this offense. Especially with the loss of Jones. I’ve come to terms that Gute wanted too and he got beat to the punch by the Queens and Niners taking Jefferson and Aiyuk. I believe when the Niners moved up to get Aiyuk that Gute switched gears as the step down in talent was obvious at the position. I was never that hot on Mimms myself so I can see why Gute didn’t want to just force the pick there. I still don’t like the JL pick but I guess everyone has to wait on that.

Last year where it “Would of been nice to get a receiver” has now become “We need to make it a priority” so I believe he will go at with the same force that he went after let’s say when made the move up on Darnel Savage etc etc if he see’s the player he wants at the WR position. He has clearly shown he is not afraid to go after a player if he likes that player.

Bretsky
12-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Yeah, it’s simple math to add a receiver(weapon) to this offense. Especially with the loss of Jones. I’ve come to terms that Gute wanted too and he got beat to the punch by the Queens and Niners taking Jefferson and Aiyuk. I believe when the Niners moved up to get Aiyuk that Gute switched gears as the step down in talent was obvious at the position. I was never that hot on Mimms myself so I can see why Gute didn’t want to just force the pick there. I still don’t like the JL pick but I guess everyone has to wait on that.

You are really sounding like a pussbag lately :)))) Be pissed like me; Gutebag had no business moving up unless he got his guy. We don't even know it was Aiyuk. Maybe he wanted the love machine. I refuse to let my madness go on that one !

Sidenote; Tee Higgins and Claypool would've looked pretty good in green n gold

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 05:18 PM
I'm a big fan of Michael Pittman

Judging Lazards talent based on these last few recovery games is about as wise as judging Adams based on his sophomore season. R-E-L-A-X. He's obviously talented and a clear #2 or even borderline #1!!!

But still, there should be WR's free falling! Nab one.

As far as Adams goes, don't let him go! 3 year extension this offseason that brings him to age 32. Let Aaron Jones go! Even if Davante loses a step, he's the best WR in the league and they can play to age 32! Keep him!!!!!

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 05:20 PM
You are really sounding like a pussbag lately :)))) Be pissed like me; Gutebag had no business moving up unless he got his guy. We don't even know it was Aiyuk. Maybe he wanted the love machine. I refuse to let my madness go on that one !

Pittman too!!!

Right now I’m just so blinded by a defense that finally put it all together for a game against a legit offense. Don’t worry, I’m sure this feeling will go away. LOL!!

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Oh no. Hopkins makes 27/year.

Davante on a 3 year extension would be 4 years, 96M if you average in the last gear of his deal. 24/yr. Yikes!!! Maybe make the 4th year really high priced so you can cut him A year after the Rodgers trade.

16 2021 (with Rodgers)
22 2022 (with Rosgers)
27 2023 (transition year with Love)
31 2024 (cut)

Could afford him till the Rodgers trade / rebuild year

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 05:33 PM
There's a good chance they LOVE, Jordan Love.

run pMc
12-29-2020, 06:28 PM
Dwayne Haskins went thru waivers unclaimed. No surprise there.
Bet he gets interest and signed to a PS/futures by someone for the talent even though the problem is between his ears.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/29/dwayne-haskins-daniel-snyder-washington-football-team/

run pMc
12-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Oh no. Hopkins makes 27/year.

Davante on a 3 year extension would be 4 years, 96M if you average in the last gear of his deal. 24/yr. Yikes!!! Maybe make the 4th year really high priced so you can cut him A year after the Rodgers trade.

16 2021 (with Rodgers)
22 2022 (with Rosgers)
27 2023 (transition year with Love)
31 2024 (cut)

Could afford him till the Rodgers trade / rebuild year

Aaaand this is why they need to reload with cheap talent to offset that contract. Adams is going to want to stay in GB, but he's also going to want serious money.

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Aaaand this is why they need to reload with cheap talent to offset that contract. Adams is going to want to stay in GB, but he's also going to want serious money.

Exactly. Like I posted the solution is finding talent on rookie 4 year deals!!!! There is no other solution really.

I’m quite sure the Packers are currently scouting the hell out of the receivers coming available in the upcoming draft.

GB-Brandon
12-29-2020, 06:47 PM
Ted Thompson drafted receivers high for several years in a row with great success. I really don’t know what happened where a lot of Packer fans hear the words “Draft a receiver” and immediately go into this form of denial mode!! It’s just gotten beyond old.

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2020, 09:02 PM
Do we think the Packers know what they have in Love yet? If you read some of Andrew Brandt's content, I view it as him suggesting the Packers knew Rodgers was going to be very good as early as his first year. Of course, he's an outlier as far as talent.

I seem to recall there is a legend going around that during Mahomes rookie year on the bench, someone called John Dorsey and asked what they had in Mahomes and he said he'd be the MVP of the league the next year. So clearly they knew early. Of course, he's an outlier as far as talent.

I wonder if the Packers have a general idea of what Love projects to at this point. It's essentially been a season, albeit one without a proper off-season.

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2020, 10:06 PM
Love is basically a lose/lose deal. If he is a big nothing, we wasted a draft pick and we won't get much in trade for him. If he has some ability, we won't see it in Green Bay, we still won't get very much for him in trade, and he potentially could be a decent player somewhere else. But who cares - IF they have the good sense to keep Aaron Rodgers around for a lot more years. 10 might be an exaggeration, but 7 or 8 certainly is not.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 07:32 AM
Love is basically a lose/lose deal. If he is a big nothing, we wasted a draft pick and we won't get much in trade for him. If he has some ability, we won't see it in Green Bay, we still won't get very much for him in trade, and he potentially could be a decent player somewhere else. But who cares - IF they have the good sense to keep Aaron Rodgers around for a lot more years. 10 might be an exaggeration, but 7 or 8 certainly is not.

Dude is 37 now. I have seen 1 qb play at aboce replacemebt level after 40. 7 or 8 most certainly is an exagerration.

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 08:59 AM
Dude is 37 now. I have seen 1 qb play at aboce replacemebt level after 40. 7 or 8 most certainly is an exagerration.

Yep. 12 is in the last couple great year's of his prime. If they still LOVE Love after three seasons of him on the bench and think he can do it, I'll be happy to trade 40 year old Rodgers in the last year.

Fritz
12-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Didn't the Patriots get a second-rounder for Jeanine Garrapolo, who'd been a lower-round pick and had shown only flashes while piloting the Genius Hoody team that many people thought a grandmother could QB, given Hoody's supposed genius?

If teams think Love is a future star and he flashes some of that in preseason say, a year and a half from now, the Packers could get a good haul for him.

Or they could trade Rodgers and go with the kid.

It's only a wasted pick if Love looks like he's going to be a pedestrian NFL QB.

bobblehead
12-30-2020, 10:24 AM

He wanted Love. You don't make that move hoping, you make it when you know what you are getting. Gutes is proving his chops lately. Maybe he was playing 3D chess. This WR class is the second in a row thats really deep and strong. Maybe he knew he had enough WR talent to get by one more year and wait. With a handful of teams loading up on young WR last year, its likely someone slips through the cracks this year. Teams that took WR in 1st and 2nd round last year might be a little hesitant to grab one this year. Its possible a guy who should go 15-20 slips to 32 this year.

Fritz
12-30-2020, 10:26 AM
He wanted Love. You don't make that move hoping, you make it when you know what you are getting. Gutes is proving his chops lately. Maybe he was playing 3D chess. This WR class is the second in a row thats really deep and strong. Maybe he knew he had enough WR talent to get by one more year and wait. With a handful of teams loading up on young WR last year, its likely someone slips through the cracks this year. Teams that took WR in 1st and 2nd round last year might be a little hesitant to grab one this year. Its possible a guy who should go 15-20 slips to 32 this year.

I would love to go with you on this sentiment, Bobble. But I suspect that again he will take no wide receivers and we'll all be wondering WTF - again.

bobblehead
12-30-2020, 10:32 AM
I would love to go with you on this sentiment, Bobble. But I suspect that again he will take no wide receivers and we'll all be wondering WTF - again.

There are probably 5 WR with first round talent this year. Maybe you are right. Maybe he takes my advice and goes out and gets a veteran Cory Davis who is a great run blocker and really good WR who knows the Flower system.

Fritz
12-30-2020, 10:37 AM
There are probably 5 WR with first round talent this year. Maybe you are right. Maybe he takes my advice and goes out and gets a veteran Cory Davis who is a great run blocker and really good WR who knows the Flower system.

I feel compelled to add that I also thought his not drafting a wide receiver last year was nearly a crime, and that his draft class was puzzling at best and stupid at worst.

Good thing I'm not an NFL GM. I'd be on a par with Dan Snyder or Bob Quinn or Matt Millen.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2020, 03:48 PM
Before this season, when a lot of people had become detractors of Aaron Rodgers, I was saying he should be and probably will be in Green Bay for many years to come. As for it being 7 or 8 years, Brady played fairly decent this year at 43. Rodgers, in addition to being better than general, is a lot more athletic and mobile than Brady. There's no reason to think he can't or won't play to at least the age Brady plays to. Hell, with the rules protecting QBs these days, he could probably play until 50 - although I'm not quite predicting that.

As for Love, ideally he plays good in preseason and we can get something decent for him in trade. I really wouldn't bet on that at this point, though.

As for drafting a WR, I have to admit to being a little bit upset at last year's draft when we took guys like Love, Dillon, and Deguara instead of any of several WRs who have proved to be starter quality in the NFL. As things have played out, though, it looks like the Packer decision makers had it right. We are fine at WR, and we also should not draft one early this year with a less strong crop of WRs available.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 03:56 PM
Before this season, when a lot of people had become detractors of Aaron Rodgers, I was saying he should be and probably will be in Green Bay for many years to come. As for it being 7 or 8 years, Brady played fairly decent this year at 43. Rodgers, in addition to being better than general, is a lot more athletic and mobile than Brady. There's no reason to think he can't or won't play to at least the age Brady plays to. Hell, with the rules protecting QBs these days, he could probably play until 50 - although I'm not quite predicting that.

As for Love, ideally he plays good in preseason and we can get something decent for him in trade. I really wouldn't bet on that at this point, though.

As for drafting a WR, I have to admit to being a little bit upset at last year's draft when we took guys like Love, Dillon, and Deguara instead of any of several WRs who have proved to be starter quality in the NFL. As things have played out, though, it looks like the Packer decision makers had it right. We are fine at WR, and we also should not draft one early this year with a less strong crop of WRs available.

Unless love is an average at best qb in three years we trade rodgers and let love shine. If he is above average his career arc will be better than what we have left of 40 yr old rodgers

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2020, 04:22 PM
In that scenario, whether Love is average or even above average, the Packers would go right down the toilet. Picture the Packers right now with an average or even above average QB instead of Rodgers ..... it would be a pretty sorry picture. Rodgers even at 40, even at 42 or 44 will be a whole helluva lot better than that. I just HOPE it is still for the Packers - and I think the Packers leadership has the good sense to realize that. Anybody not believing that, mark this post and rub it into me if I'm wrong.

Teamcheez1
12-30-2020, 04:58 PM
Rodgers

20% chance still playing for the Packers at 40
0 % chance of playing for the Packers at 42
0 % chance of playing in the NFL at 44

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 05:03 PM
I wonder what they’re thinking of Love now? And I wonder if Love is grinding to get better the way 12 did. There is a lot of unknown. Time will tell.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 05:11 PM
In that scenario, whether Love is average or even above average, the Packers would go right down the toilet. Picture the Packers right now with an average or even above average QB instead of Rodgers ..... it would be a pretty sorry picture. Rodgers even at 40, even at 42 or 44 will be a whole helluva lot better than that. I just HOPE it is still for the Packers - and I think the Packers leadership has the good sense to realize that. Anybody not believing that, mark this post and rub it into me if I'm wrong.

I hope you are right about rodgers at 40. 42 and 44 as I like him. But I don't think you will be right at 42 and 44. I'm skeptical of 40 even.

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 05:54 PM
I hope you are right about rodgers at 40. 42 and 44 as I like him. But I don't think you will be right at 42 and 44. I'm skeptical of 40 even.

This is it, and why the chance they took on Love pays off. Just like with 4 before 12, the Packers knew they had something after three years and moved on. They’ll have a pretty good idea of Love is a grinder, worker, talented and able. Whatever they choose after the 2022 season, the choice will be made with a lot more information than guessing at college quarterbacks. They’ll see him against NFL competition every day for three years.

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 05:58 PM
If the Packers extend Rodgers, I’ll trust Love didn’t show what they had hoped he’d show. If they trade him after the 2022 season (ridiculously tradable contract), I’ll bet they know what they’re doing still. No way to guess at this point, but kinda glad we have such a high upside player to develop.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 08:02 PM
I hope they take another qb in the draft this year as well. Brohm may not have worked out but it was a smart play. Qb is the most important position and we need to invest to continue into the future. No reason not to have three hof and in a row.

I need to add that I'm stoked at rodgers play and hope he keeps it up for two more years so week can get a lot for him and maybe an owl or two

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2020, 11:06 PM
Rodgers

20% chance still playing for the Packers at 40
0 % chance of playing for the Packers at 42
0 % chance of playing in the NFL at 44

That's your prediction? I'll go with 90% at 40, 70% at 42, and 50% at 44. We'll see which one comes the closest.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2020, 11:14 PM
If the Packers extend Rodgers, I’ll trust Love didn’t show what they had hoped he’d show. If they trade him after the 2022 season (ridiculously tradable contract), I’ll bet they know what they’re doing still. No way to guess at this point, but kinda glad we have such a high upside player to develop.

"ridiculously tradable contract", of course, also means ridiculously restructurable.

I don't give a damn how much upside Love has, he's extremely extremely unlikely ever to be another Aaron Rodgers, even Aaron Rodgers at age 40. That's not really even a knock on Love. Practically no unproven rookie ever would be a good bet to reach that level.

run pMc
12-31-2020, 09:59 AM
I hope they take another qb in the draft this year as well. Brohm may not have worked out but it was a smart play. Qb is the most important position and we need to invest to continue into the future. No reason not to have three hof and in a row.

I need to add that I'm stoked at rodgers play and hope he keeps it up for two more years so week can get a lot for him and maybe an owl or two

There is actually some pretty good evidence that drafting QBs (especially if you don't have a great one) is smart. See what ARI did with Rosen/Murray. Seemed like insanity until I gave it some thought. Draft enough and eventually you'll hit on one, and it is the most important position to get right. In the case of a HOF franchise type QB, it's less important but still smart -- especially as they age and become more injury prone. You can always trade the backup if they show something, as they did in the Wolf era.

Now, some teams never seem to get drafting a QB right (looking at you, CHI), but I don't think GB is one of them. I did NOT like the Jordan Love pick, and I hated that they traded up for him. The opportunity cost was too high IMO with other good players available in R1 and losing a R4 draft pick they could've used. If he's even an average-to-above average QB he can take a team into the playoffs with a good supporting cast.
Look at what Ryan freaking Tannehill has done the last 20 games; statistically he's been among the top 5 QBs and went toe-to-toe with KC in the AFCCG last year. He was brought in as a backup to Mariotta last year; nobody thought he was even a top 15 QB anymore.

Love is a Packer, so I'll root for him, even moreso if he pans out. I haven't seen him play even a preseason snap so I have nothing to go by. To say the team will go down the toilet with any QB besides Rodgers is an exaggeration unless Gute does nothing with the resulting cap space or utterly fails as a GM to provide supporting talent (in which case he should be fired).

MadScientist
12-31-2020, 02:30 PM
"ridiculously tradable contract", of course, also means ridiculously restructurable.

I don't give a damn how much upside Love has, he's extremely extremely unlikely ever to be another Aaron Rodgers, even Aaron Rodgers at age 40. That's not really even a knock on Love. Practically no unproven rookie ever would be a good bet to reach that level.

It was also highly unlikely that Rodgers would ever be as good as Old Man Favre.

They won't trade Rodgers unless they are highly confident that Love can handle the job and excel. There is no pressure from the fan base to give Love a chance. Rodgers, with his resurgence this year, is just too damn good. However 2 years can be a lot in NFL terms for an older player, and a lot for the development of a young QB. By the end of 2022 we should have a good idea about what direction the Packers should take.

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2020, 02:42 PM
"handling the job" and "excelling" are very different things. I don't know about anybody else, but I saw something special in Rodgers very early when he started throwing the ball around. Plus Favre, as great as he was, had a helluva lot bigger downside than Aaron Rodgers ever has had.

I suppose winning the lottery three times in a row is remotely possible, but I seriously doubt it happens with Love. Remember, Rodgers was projected to be 50/50 with Alex Smith to be the #1 pick overall. I never heard anything like that about Love.