View Full Version : Studs and Duds, Oilers

George Cumby
12-27-2020, 11:41 PM
Studs:

Rodgers
O-Line
Sheriff Dillon
The Fresno Fiend
Rashan Fucking Gary, constantly around the passer, held contain, super disciplined
LeFleur, Solid game plan, again

Duds:

Special Teams
Preston Smith looks more and more unnecessary with Gary's emergence

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 07:04 AM
Savage was outstanding again. He and Amos providing the best safety play Packers have had in a long time.

Kenny Clark didn't get noticed a lot but was outstanding. He's a big reason for Packers improved run D lately.

Upnorth
12-28-2020, 08:17 AM
Stud Gute for putting this roster together. or does that belong in a studs and duds 2020 season review

run pMc
12-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Duds:

Special Teams
Preston Smith looks more and more unnecessary with Gary's emergence

I'd almost put Preston in the Studs category. He was pretty disruptive and played more disciplined.

Agree on special teams. Mason missing the XP was worrisome and I'm sure bugged him, but not nearly as much as a blocked FGA. That's awful. The KO coverage was so-so, and the punt return team was meh. I'm guessing weather played a factor in the kicking, but Mason's kicks were on the shorter side (presumably to get hang time) and coverage often gave TEN the ball past the 30. At least there weren't any major mishaps on coverage, and Mason didn't pull a Gostkowski and kick the ball out of bounds.

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 09:01 AM
I'd almost put Preston in the Studs category. He was pretty disruptive and played more disciplined.

Agree on special teams. Mason missing the XP was worrisome and I'm sure bugged him, but not nearly as much as a blocked FGA. That's awful. The KO coverage was so-so, and the punt return team was meh. I'm guessing weather played a factor in the kicking, but Mason's kicks were on the shorter side (presumably to get hang time) and coverage often gave TEN the ball past the 30. At least there weren't any major mishaps on coverage, and Mason didn't pull a Gostkowski and kick the ball out of bounds.

Actually I think both teams were having trouble covering kickoffs. I suspect coverage guys were worried about slipping and not going full speed.

As a unit, that may have been the best game by Gary and The Smiths.

George Cumby
12-28-2020, 09:10 AM
I watched Gary a lot last night. He'd hold the edge, get his eyes on Henry and then commit once he saw what was going on. I only saw him over commit and get twisted around once, Amos(?) came up for the tackle and Gary had the athleticism to twist around and help out with the tackle.

His pass rush is kind of this Tasmanian devil kind of deal, I think he's quick more than fast but with legit power. His stance is this funky, low position, almost predatory, he does this weird thing with his hands and arms.

He might be rounding into a dominant player that teams must account for.

Zool
12-28-2020, 10:50 AM
DBs played a hell of a game. On a slippery field, the advantage goes to the O. Passrush and secondary played together perfectly most of the game.

For as much shit as he gets around here (I'm usually first in line) Pettine was willing to let Tannehill beat him yesterday. Maybe Tannehill is a product of Henry's dominance?

Cheesehead Craig
12-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Preston was a stud. Great against the run. You can argue about if he should stay next year. But last night he was very good.

MadtownPacker
12-28-2020, 12:53 PM
DBs played a hell of a game. On a slippery field, the advantage goes to the O. Passrush and secondary played together perfectly most of the game.

For as much shit as he gets around here (I'm usually first in line) Pettine was willing to let Tannehill beat him yesterday. Maybe Tannehill is a product of Henry's dominance?Yep, other than the blocked FG and Dhillion unable to do a leap 2X (hilarious but I love how he came back to try again) I thought it was an awesome night for all. I was already talking SB trip but damn after this performance now it’s SB win!!

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2020, 01:05 PM
The usual (and obvious) suspects, of course, were studs. Beyond that, though, I'll give the Smiths and Gary special mention for discipline/staying in their gaps, which they often don't do, but which they said in their press con a day or two before the game was essential. And I'll give Pettine - who I criticize as much as anybody in here - credit for getting them and really everybody to be that disciplined.

Another guy I have ragged on horribly was a legitimate stud too - Christian Kirksey, although I'm thinking the slower conditions benefited him and maybe the whole D.

Somebody said Savage is starting to look like Nick Collins. For Sure! He was all over the field and helped against the run too.

A couple of little things: Kudos to Bakhtiari for goading that Titan into the hands to the face penalty. And J.K. Scott seemed like he was damn well gonna show some hustle and toughness on the blocked FG to make up for his mess up a few games ago. And Tim Boyle is apparently out of the dog house and back to doing what he does best hahahaha.

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 01:13 PM
Preston was a stud. Great against the run. You can argue about if he should stay next year. But last night he was very good.

He absolutely caused the interception by Kirksey with a great inside rush.

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 01:15 PM

For as much shit as he gets around here (I'm usually first in line) Pettine was willing to let Tannehill beat him yesterday. Maybe Tannehill is a product of Henry's dominance?

They mentioned last night how much better Tannehill's stats are on play action passes vs a straight dropback.

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 01:19 PM
The usual (and obvious) suspects, of course, were studs. Beyond that, though, I'll give the Smiths and Gary special mention for discipline/staying in their gaps, which they often don't do, but which they said in their press con a day or two before the game was essential. And I'll give Pettine - who I criticize as much as anybody in here - credit for getting them and really everybody to be that disciplined.

Another guy I have ragged on horribly was a legitimate stud too - Christian Kirksey, although I'm thinking the slower conditions benefited him and maybe the whole D.

Somebody said Savage is starting to look like Nick Collins. For Sure! He was all over the field and helped against the run too.

A couple of little things: Kudos to Bakhtiari for goading that Titan into the hands to the face penalty. And J.K. Scott seemed like he was damn well gonna show some hustle and toughness on the blocked FG to make up for his mess up a few games ago. And Tim Boyle is apparently out of the dog house and back to doing what he does best hahahaha.

Kirksey has been better since they reduced his snaps and made him more of a situational player. Barnes is now the LB who is out there in all situations.

CaptainKickass
12-28-2020, 02:30 PM
STUD:
Team discipline. There were ZERO penalties on the Packers according to the gamebook.

Little Whiskey
12-28-2020, 03:05 PM
STUD:
Team discipline. There were ZERO penalties on the Packers according to the gamebook.

I don't think there was even a penalty called that was declined. I can only remember 3 being called against Tenn as well, 2 of them were huge as one extended the drive that lead to a TD and the other offset the FG block.

Hard to rag on the kicking game as that field looked in rough shape to get any kind of footing to kick at all. Defense locked Tenn down when you would have thought their superior run game would have taken over. Best game I've seen them play all year.

run pMc
12-28-2020, 04:32 PM
STUD:

This. When I saw that in the box score I was stunned in a good way.

Speaking of discipline, I really appreciated the OLB's showing some run discipline. Everyone and their dog knew stopping Henry was the key to the game, and Pettine & Co. actually succeeded. Z is probably the least disciplined, but even he showed some. Gary had a very good game. When he's on, he can forklift an OT and put them on skates. Kenny gave them some problems up front, and even the NW boys got in on a few tackles.
Savage had a pretty good game, wished he hadn't dropped that throw - would've been a pick six. Jaire was a monster too, but I think the refs were letting them play last night -- a more touchy crew might've got him for illegal contact on one or two throws. Even so, holding AJ Brown (who I think is very good) and Corey Davis to 4 and 0 catches respectively says a lot about the secondary and pass rush.

I think they moved Kirksey from the Mike to the other ILB spot (I've seen it called the Jack and the Will), where I think he's a better fit. Barnes is a more natural Mike ILB but he's a little undersized. All the same, I think that's helped the defense. Seemed like they played a little more man defense, but I still caught them in zone a few times.

Kevin King is playing hurt. He wasn't a dud, but he wasn't great either.

I wonder if the defense's improvement (is it from moving Kirksey over and Amos into Greene's spot?) will lead MLF to keep Pettine.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2020, 05:14 PM
Kirksey has been better since they reduced his snaps and made him more of a situational player. Barnes is now the LB who is out there in all situations.

I saw a lot of Barnes early and not much later. He didn't get hurt again, did he?

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 05:52 PM
I saw a lot of Barnes early and not much later. He didn't get hurt again, did he?

No. Barnes played almost every snap. He was probably dropping into coverage a lot later with the Titans needing to throw the ball.

RashanGary
12-28-2020, 06:09 PM
No real injuries. Holy shit, this is playing out perfectly. I like to be ahead of the curve instead of knowing it all after the fact. Lizard is getting set to go off. He's looking more athletic and explosive and tuned in with every passing week. If not in Chicago, after the bye, Lizard is poised to be an absolute 100% healthy player for us and a huge boost for an offense that really needed one more reliable target in his absence. Not to mention his run blocking and even pass pro when 12 wants another guy to stay back. He just opens up the playbook and makes consistency a possibility with MVS not having to be the 3 after 17 and big bob. 17, Lizard, big bob and MVS/89/Austin sharing the 4th works for this offense. CANT WAIT!!

RashanGary
12-28-2020, 06:13 PM
33 in every down situations (12 has better chemistry)
30 on 3rd down (chemistry with 12, ELITE pass pro, good pass catcher, just perfect 3rd down guy!)
28 as the closer and a GREAT change up to 33 in regular situations)

Again, those guys all sharing the load..... Holy shit, things are falling just right to make a push. Three healthy (hopefully 30 back soon) and very differently talented backs is such a luxury at the end of the season when everyone else is wore the fuck down. Championship!

Bretsky
12-28-2020, 06:24 PM
The stars sure do seem to be aligning well as long as we beat the Bears

#1 seed and the only team with a bye week

I think odds might be Saints vs Tampa Bay (two teams I don't think we'd want to face) so one can knock the other off. Rams QB has a broken finger; that DL scares me but they might have have a healthy QB again

Hardly any injuries, and the road comes through Lambeau and even the defense appears to be coming together

GB-Brandon
12-28-2020, 10:08 PM
The stars sure do seem to be aligning well as long as we beat the Bears

#1 seed and the only team with a bye week

I think odds might be Saints vs Tampa Bay (two teams I don't think we'd want to face) so one can knock the other off. Rams QB has a broken finger; that DL scares me but they might have have a healthy QB again

Hardly any injuries, and the road comes through Lambeau and even the defense appears to be coming together

The “Stars are Aligning.” The Rams are in complete melt down mode(my big value play that looks like a fart in the wind). Goff found a new level of low and now his throwing hand is hurt. I’m not sure they can re-group and even make it to Lambeau in the playoffs. That would leave us with probably playing either Tampa or the Cards in the 2nd round. If we make it past that then it would probably be either the Saints or the Seahawks @ Lambeau of course.

We would be the favorite in any of these matchups and should be. It’s all there for the taking!!! This Tennessee game was so huge in so many ways. It really was and should be a spring board of confidence for this defense to just get better and build from!!! They shut that shit down!!!!! And Tennessee was red hot coming in here!!

Guiness
12-29-2020, 02:38 AM
Stud Gute for putting this roster together. or does that belong in a studs and duds 2020 season review

I know right? And imagine how good it would be if he'd gotten Rodgers some weapons!! /s
:bang:

Guiness
12-29-2020, 02:40 AM

Both teams were kicking short and not getting touchbacks. I assume it had something to do with the field conditions?

bobblehead
12-29-2020, 09:54 AM
I'm a Cory Davis fan. Jaire put him on a milk carton. Enough said.

CaptainKickass
12-29-2020, 10:24 AM
STUD:

But wait! There's more...

According to Wes Hodkiewicz of Packers.com and communications manager Tom Fanning, the Packers did not commit a penalty or punt the football during Sunday’s 40-14 win over the Tennessee Titans, marking the first time the team has avoided both in the same game in franchise history, or at least since Elias Sports Bureau began tracking penalties in 1941.

It's like.... HISTORICAL DUDES!!

https://i0.wp.com/cultfaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/socrates.png?resize=474%2C199&ssl=1

run pMc
12-29-2020, 11:19 AM
Whoa... most excellent, So-crates.

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 12:10 PM
Imma wait till the spread grows to 7.5 by weeks end and take the Bears with the points. Perfect alignment for a rigged came coming up with the Packers being gamblers darlings right now <3

Fritz
12-30-2020, 10:22 AM
I am one of the ones who think that Preston Smith has really been rounding into form and has again become a force on the defense. I like this three-headed monster of an outside linebacking corps, and I hope they are all back next year.

Linsley also looked good.

As far as re-signing guys, I think Aaron Jones has to be the top priority, and if you have to lose Linsley and King to do that, so be it. An Aaron Jones/AJ Dillon combo sounds better than a Linsley/Kevin King combo.

This team will miss Jamaal Williams. To me, he's as good as Edgar Bennett or Dorsey Levens were. Very valuable guy. He'll do well somewhere. He's not nearly as good as Jones, but he's still a really solid player.

Joemailman
12-30-2020, 11:08 AM
I am one of the ones who think that Preston Smith has really been rounding into form and has again become a force on the defense. I like this three-headed monster of an outside linebacking corps, and I hope they are all back next year.

Linsley also looked good.

As far as re-signing guys, I think Aaron Jones has to be the top priority, and if you have to lose Linsley and King to do that, so be it. An Aaron Jones/AJ Dillon combo sounds better than a Linsley/Kevin King combo.

This team will miss Jamaal Williams. To me, he's as good as Edgar Bennett or Dorsey Levens were. Very valuable guy. He'll do well somewhere. He's not nearly as good as Jones, but he's still a really solid player.

If you have to let a couple guys go, I think it's Jones and King. By keeping Linsley you keep the OL elite. Sign Williams and then draft a speedier back in rounds 3-5. Packers will likely have comp picks in rounds 4, 5 and 6. Draft King's replacement in the first 2 rounds.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 11:12 AM
Imma wait till the spread grows to 7.5 by weeks end and take the Bears with the points. Perfect alignment for a rigged came coming up with the Packers being gamblers darlings right now <3

Wrong thread you lousy degenerate

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 11:14 AM
If you have to let a couple guys go, I think it's Jones and King. By keeping Linsley you keep the OL elite. Sign Williams and then draft a speedier back in rounds 3-5. Packers will likely have comp picks in rounds 4, 5 and 6. Draft King's replacement in the first 2 rounds.

I like this but jones isn't a speed back. He has great vision and patience. To me speed backs are faster than 4.56.
So draft someone like jones.

Fritz
12-30-2020, 11:37 AM

Very logical. Makes sense. I just think it's harder to find a guy like Aaron Jones than it is to find a guy like Linsley. We keep forgetting, I think, the very nondescript run of running backs we've see prior to the Aaron Jones era. Lacey was good for maybe two years, but he ate his way out. Brandon Jackson, et al - pretty "meh." I wouldn't be so quick to dump Jones. Guys like that are not so easy to find.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 11:39 AM
I know the cap in 2021 is ugly but it is for almost everybody. By letting jones and king go we maybe getting close to a backloaded allen Robinson acquisition.
Just have to find another 10 to 15 million in cap space.... So maybe not sigh.