PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs Bears Week 17 Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 12:51 PM
I mean, by winning Sunday over Bears in Chicago Packers can take #1 seed while possibly simultaneously knocking Bears out of playoffs. Maybe not as good as beating Bears in NFC Title Game 10 years ago, but still great.

MadtownPacker
12-28-2020, 12:57 PM
If 49ers upset Seattle (thinking the odds are good) then it doesn’t matter. But the games are on at the same time so we are gonna see a good one.

Man the fucking NFL has gotta be loving how the season is finishing. As someone who was tired of all the BS a few seasons ago I have to admit I am hooked again.

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Bears have scored 30+ 3 weeks in a row, albeit against bad defenses. At any rate, they're 6-2 with Trubisky as the starter vs. 2-5 with Foles.

Joemailman
12-28-2020, 01:06 PM
If 49ers upset Seattle (thinking the odds are good) then it doesn’t matter. But the games are on at the same time so we are gonna see a good one.

Man the fucking NFL has gotta be loving how the season is finishing. As someone who was tired of all the BS a few seasons ago I have to admit I am hooked again.

Yeah, I ran it all down in the new Playoff Standings thread. Gonna be a crazy afternoon.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2020, 01:14 PM
I expect the Packers to handle the Bears without too much difficulty, but I've never been negative like so many in here about Trubisky. If he's finally playing up to his potential, the Bears could be a little bit tough. I'm also a little bit concerned that David Montgomery could have a bigger day against us than Henry did. It's harder to prepare for and stop a speed back than it is to load up and stop a power back IMO - one reason I say it's absolutely essential for us to keep Aaron Jones.

Freak Out
12-28-2020, 04:06 PM
It's going to be a battle. Chicago is fighting for a playoff spot and the long history between the franchises.

hoosier
12-28-2020, 04:25 PM

Are you sure Niners won't be tanking this coming Sunday? Gabacho still going to be taking the snaps? I mean, I am sure they would like nothing better than to put a ding in the SeaChickens's season but Niners have been so decimated by injuries this year, it wouldn't be surprising to see them sit a bunch of starters.

run pMc
12-28-2020, 04:41 PM
I expect the Packers to handle the Bears without too much difficulty, but I've never been negative like so many in here about Trubisky. If he's finally playing up to his potential, the Bears could be a little bit tough. I'm also a little bit concerned that David Montgomery could have a bigger day against us than Henry did. It's harder to prepare for and stop a speed back than it is to load up and stop a power back IMO - one reason I say it's absolutely essential for us to keep Aaron Jones.

I wouldn't call Montgomery a speed back. Tarik Cohen would be their speed back if he wasn't hurt. I don't even think Jones is a speed back...he's more slippery/elusive than anything. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but he does have good quickness and decent vision.

I don't think the Bears are a gimme win: division games are crazy, and the Bears will be fighting for their playoff lives. Trubisky can beat you if he has a good game plan and doesn't short circuit...but he is prone to doing that. Would like to see them stop Montgomery early (they're gonna give him the ball a lot in the 1st half) and keep tight coverage on Allen Robinson. That should be enough, well, that and don't screw up on ST. The Bears defense isn't as good as it was the last two years, but it's still pretty good. Still, I think Rodgers can move the ball on them and GB should outscore CHI.

If the same Green Bay team we saw last night against TEN shows up this Sunday against CHI, the result should be a #1 seed for GB.

Bossman641
12-29-2020, 08:07 AM
Division game, so don't expect it to be easy, but the Bears' recent offensive resurgence is a mirage. They've played some of the worst defenses in the league the past 4 weeks.

MadtownPacker
12-29-2020, 11:25 AM
Are you sure Niners won't be tanking this coming Sunday? Gabacho still going to be taking the snaps? I mean, I am sure they would like nothing better than to put a ding in the SeaChickens's season but Niners have been so decimated by injuries this year, it wouldn't be surprising to see them sit a bunch of starters.They may but this is the big rival for them. Would the bears play hard vs Pack this Sunday if they were already eliminated? I think so.

RashanGary
12-29-2020, 12:21 PM
In the event of a high wind game, Lazard is primed for a monster game soon. Tonyan as well.

In the event of a low wind game, MVS is due for another 40+ bomb in the near future.

Jones/Williams/Dillon are going to be money regardless of weather. Such a luxury to have three who are so damn different but so damn good at the same time. We have a perfect back for any given situation on offense.

Zool
12-29-2020, 12:56 PM
Williams back for this one? RBs catching the ball is one way to slow the Bears down a bit.

Fritz
12-30-2020, 10:31 AM
This is gonna be a tough game, which may be good for the Packers' playoff chances. I like seeing them in a knock-down, drag-out fight before the playoffs. Gets them understanding what it's going to be like, especially the youngsters who don't know how much the energy level goes up in the playoffs.

bobblehead
12-30-2020, 10:33 AM
It's going to be a battle. Chicago is fighting for a playoff spot and the long history between the franchises.

Agree. We will get their absolute A+ game.

Fritz
12-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Except for Bitch Trumitchsky.

gbgary
12-30-2020, 10:47 AM
just run the same game plan as the Ten game...to the letter...O and D.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 11:10 AM
just run the same game plan as the Ten game...to the letter...O and D.

I agree. Unfortunately bears pass rush is much better than the Titans so rodgers will face more pressure. Makes dillion even more important. Rodgers vrs pressure in 2020 isn't as good as rodgers vrs pressure pre 2016.

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 01:26 PM
The line seems to be growing. Pretty sure I’m gonna take the Bears with the Points if it grows to 7+. The NFL loves to fuck gamblers so if all the money is on GB, imma take Chicago.

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 01:27 PM
I agree. Unfortunately bears pass rush is much better than the Titans so rodgers will face more pressure. Makes dillion even more important. Rodgers vrs pressure in 2020 isn't as good as rodgers vrs pressure pre 2016.

Bears might be our worst case matchup with their defense. I could see a low scoring game. Easy. Actually, think imma bet on that too. Make it a small parlay

Fritz
12-30-2020, 01:35 PM

I am hoping that in LeFleur's offense, Rodgers, who doesn't have to hold on to the ball for so long and wait, and wait, and wait, can recognize the blitzes and call some screens - which is why Jamal Williams might be important - and some quick hitters. Maybe Tonyan and Lewis will play a bigger role?

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 01:57 PM
Williams back for this one? RBs catching the ball is one way to slow the Bears down a bit.

Screens, draws, short come backs by RB, quick hitters, lots of run plays, etc...

run pMc
12-30-2020, 03:37 PM
Akiem Hicks will play, and Fuller is a decent CB. CHI has a lot to play for, arguably more than GB. The OL and role players will need to step up.

Stopping Montgomery early and defending Mitch rollouts will be important.

This will be a close matchup. Ultimately, Rodgers >> Trubisky and that should make the difference.

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 04:39 PM
Bears front is a little better than ours
Bears linebackers are a lot better
Bears secondary is about equal to ours

The Bears have the better defense.

Bears special teams is better.

Packers offense is a lot better than Bears, although Bears are coming on now. Gonna be a really tough game.

Joemailman
12-30-2020, 04:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqhOUdeXMAEx2fh?format=png&name=360x360

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Snacks. He looks fat in the pictures I see from Seattle. Wonder why they didn’t want him?

Joemailman
12-30-2020, 04:52 PM
Snacks. He looks fat in the pictures I see from Seattle. Wonder why they didn’t want him?

He asked for his release after not being activated for a game. He would likely seek some assurances from Packers before signing.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Potentially awesome timing!!! But if he couldn't make the Seattle roster that is avred flag to me

Freak Out
12-30-2020, 05:18 PM
He made the roster and forced a fumble in his first action.

Joemailman
12-30-2020, 05:18 PM
Potentially awesome timing!!! But if he couldn't make the Seattle roster that is avred flag to me

He did play in several games for them. But after not being active last game, he asked for his release.

“I came here to help and I’ve done that and now it’s time to move on,” Harrison tweeted Sunday. “I came back this year to play and that’s all I want. Team is back healthy and playing well. It’s my time to head out. Still all love and respect for the Hawks!

“Nobody is doing me wrong lol the team is investing in their future as they should.”

GB-Brandon
12-30-2020, 05:56 PM
Not everybody likes the culture in Seattle believe it or not. I’m sure being inactive had something to do with it. His PFF grade is 68.5 in games played. That’s an upgrade from Dean Lowry’s 59.5!! I say let him play!!!!

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 06:01 PM
Not everybody likes the culture in Seattle believe it or not. I’m sure being inactive had something to do with it. His PFF grade is 68.5 in games played. That’s an upgrade from Dean Lowry’s 59.5!! I say let him play!!!!

I see no reason why he wouldn’t. Keke is out with a concussion too. Don’t know how the covid thing works right now. Still, you can never have too many fatties up front.

Guiness
12-30-2020, 07:35 PM

Did I miss something? Why would the '49ers closing out a lost season be able to hang with a Seahawks team that has something to play for?

Joemailman
12-30-2020, 07:45 PM
Did I miss something? Why would the '49ers closing out a lost season be able to hang with a Seahawks team that has something to play for?

Last week that beat an Arizona team that had every thing to play for. They've beaten the Rams twice this year. They have Kittle back now. They are not to be taken lightly.

Upnorth
12-30-2020, 07:58 PM
Division rival. All about pride

George Cumby
12-30-2020, 08:23 PM
Trubisky's QBR the last four weeks:

DET. 108
HOU. 127
MINN. 98
JAX. 98

Not bad.

Rodgers the last four weeks:

PHI. 129
DET. 137
CAR. 92
TEN. 128

run pMc
12-31-2020, 10:11 AM
Bears secondary is about equal to ours

The Bears have the better defense.

Packers offense is a lot better than Bears, although Bears are coming on now. Gonna be a really tough game.

Will be a tough game, but I think our secondary is playing better than theirs. Bears have the edge on defense, we have the edge on offense.

As for Snacks, word is SEA wanted to play its younger players more and let them develop. Snacks wanted to play so he asked to be waived. Seems like there's no hard feelings. Reading between the lines, SEA likely felt the younger players had more upside, were part of their long-term plans, and might even be playing better than Snacks now. I doubt Snacks has a lot left in the tank, but even then he's probably a modest upgrade from Lowry and Lancaster. Keke has a concussion and Adams is on IR. Brian Price did not look good against TEN (I saw him getting blown back off the LOS frequently) and they aren't playing Rush. It's a good move.

CHI has had an uptick in their offense, but they've also been playing some bad defenses. (DET, HOU, JAX) I think if GB comes out and plays their 'A' game CHI won't be able to stay with them.

KYPack
12-31-2020, 10:28 AM
Will be a tough game, but I think our secondary is playing better than theirs. Bears have the edge on defense, we have the edge on offense.

As for Snacks, word is SEA wanted to play its younger players more and let them develop. Snacks wanted to play so he asked to be waived. Seems like there's no hard feelings. Reading between the lines, SEA likely felt the younger players had more upside, were part of their long-term plans, and might even be playing better than Snacks now. I doubt Snacks has a lot left in the tank, but even then he's probably a modest upgrade from Lowry and Lancaster. Keke has a concussion and Adams is on IR. Brian Price did not look good against TEN (I saw him getting blown back off the LOS frequently) and they aren't playing Rush. It's a good move.

CHI has had an uptick in their offense, but they've also been playing some bad defenses. (DET, HOU, JAX) I think if GB comes out and plays their 'A' game CHI won't be able to stay with them.

You'd think Rush gets released to give Snacks a roster spot.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-31-2020, 10:45 AM
You'd think Rush gets released to give Snacks a roster spot.

Keep them both and play them both at the same time. The “A” gaps would be as impregnable as the time Sherman ingeniously played Russell Maryland next to Gilbert Brown!

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2020, 03:12 PM
I thought you didn't like fatties, APB. I think they use Snacks to play nose tackle - right on the Center, covering both A gaps. Whether that's against the Bears or not remains to be seen. I always thought Kenny Clark was kinda wasted in that spot. With Snacks in there, they can give Kenny a little more flexibility.

As the Bears offense has improved, their D has regressed a little bit. Getting Hicks back, though, might help them if he is 100%.

I expect a comfortable Packer win in a more high scoring game than some would expect - something like 34-20 Packers.

Fosco33
12-31-2020, 06:20 PM
Bacteria tore ACL. Shitty

Anti-Polar Bear
12-31-2020, 07:06 PM
I thought you didn't like fatties, APB. I think they use Snacks to play nose tackle - right on the Center, covering both A gaps. Whether that's against the Bears or not remains to be seen. I always thought Kenny Clark was kinda wasted in that spot. With Snacks in there, they can give Kenny a little more flexibility.

As the Bears offense has improved, their D has regressed a little bit. Getting Hicks back, though, might help them if he is 100%.

I expect a comfortable Packer win in a more high scoring game than some would expect - something like 34-20 Packers.

I don’t like drafting Yokozunas with premium picks, but I digged the Sherman U-160 Defense (67+93).

In all seriousness, as long as the Packers prevent opponents from ponding the rock up and down their rear ends, all’s good. Rush and the Snack together on the field could accomplish that feat.

HarveyWallbangers
01-01-2021, 08:48 PM
Jenkins-Patrick-Linsley-Turner-Wagner
OR
Turner-Jenkins-Linsley-Patrick-Wagner

Considering Hicks is back and Mack plays mostly at LE, do we keep Jenkins inside this week?

The versatility of Turner and Jenkins has really helped us this year.

Joemailman
01-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Jenkins-Patrick-Linsley-Turner-Wagner
OR
Turner-Jenkins-Linsley-Patrick-Wagner

Considering Hicks is back and Mack plays mostly at LE, do we keep Jenkins inside this week?

The versatility of Turner and Jenkins has really helped us this year.

Who does Hicks usually line up over? You don't want Patrick lined up against Hicks all day.

RashanGary
01-01-2021, 09:27 PM
Hmmmmm.... Hicks/Mack is probably the toughest two person matchup in football. Probably, they most like to attack the right side of the offense with that twosome. I was thinking turner at LT was all but determined, but after seeing it put out there, maybe keep the right side stable this week.

RashanGary
01-01-2021, 09:29 PM
Hicks and Mack are usually on the right side. I'm all for keeping the right side strong this week and making them have to shift if they want the mis match. Then at least all parties are a little off their spot. I dont know if there is a perfect way to do this.

run pMc
01-02-2021, 09:56 AM
I expect Turner at LT. If Mack and Hicks are on the right side of the OL you can put Marcedes over there to help or put Williams in the backfield. The other thing they can do is run off the left side of the line and wear them out chasing across the field. Quick tempo/short passing game might also help wear them out.

The Shadow
01-02-2021, 01:13 PM
I think we are going to see a lot of snaps for Marcedes Lewis & Jamal Williams for pass blocking purposes.

RashanGary
01-02-2021, 01:43 PM
I think we are going to see a lot of snaps for Marcedes Lewis & Jamal Williams for pass blocking purposes.

Yep!!! Good point, sir!

Joemailman
01-02-2021, 02:05 PM
Most of the country will see Packers/Bears. Kevin Burkhardt and Daryl Johnston with the call.

https://506sports.com/2020/17-FOX-L.png

The Shadow
01-02-2021, 08:13 PM
The Bears know their best chance lies with pressuring Rodgers. They have to sacrifice coverage to do it - and they will trust their DBs to somehow cover Adams, et all. Expect a ton of blitzes.

The Shadow
01-02-2021, 08:14 PM
Look for a lot of shallow crosses & check downs by the Packers.

The Shadow
01-02-2021, 08:37 PM
Also : I don't the Pack wants to use Snacks as a breather for Clark at nose - I think they want to play Snacks - largely - as the regular nose & use Clark as a replacement for Lancaster.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2021, 11:21 PM
Let's win this one, aight.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 09:38 AM
I don’t like drafting Yokozunas with premium picks, but I digged the Sherman U-160 Defense (67+93).

In all seriousness, as long as the Packers prevent opponents from ponding the rock up and down their rear ends, all’s good. Rush and the Snack together on the field could accomplish that feat.

There are something like 60+ good receivers in the league. Go through the list. And maybe 15 good defensive tackles. The big guys are harder to find and that middle pass rush push as well as being more capable of getting a team to 3rd and long due to run defense prowess, lead to infinitely more successful defenses. It’s an old school attitude that you draft big guys who can move first (DTs, big ends, tackles) but it’s an adage that holds water or keeps water out depending on the metaphor you choose to use.

Jenkins is a guard/c/tackle. They drafted him higher than I would like a guard or center to be drafted (guards and centers, while big, don't need the movement skills of the other big guy positions and therefore seem to be a bit more in the dime a dozen category. Elite one's though, even if just a guard, seem to be worth it. And ones who can play solid tackle as well as being elite inside are definitely worth it as injuries up front are literally part of just about every NFL season for every NFL team.

Football is a physical game with a lot of big bodies who make a difference. Hard to see why you value small guys so much in a big guys game.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 09:44 AM
Our lord and savior only makes so many guys who carry 300 pounds well. Walk through the grocery store and count athletic 6’2”, 200 lb guys compared to athletic 6’2” 300 pound guys. There is just a dearth of big athletes in the world. Gotta take em first in the big mans gsme of football.

And now, unfortunately, OT is probably the biggest need going into next year.

OT
ILB
WR

Would be an ideal 1-2-3 for next years draft considering there are the fewest quality OTs drafted after the first round, few elite ILBs drafted after the second and more top WRs drafted in the 3rd. Supply and demand dictates size over athleticism, unfortunately for just about every team who almost all have more athletes than quality bigs.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 09:47 AM
On a different note, I expect 13 to have a monster game this week or soon. He’s a rare tough guy who plays WR and he’s polished for his age and reliable. I just expect 12 to light up the board with lizard real soon as Lizard is just now rounding back into football shape. Tonyan too.

With the run gsme being so much more important in Bakhs absence, those run/pass skillset guys gonna see a lot more sweet play action looks.

Joemailman
01-03-2021, 11:10 AM
On a different note, I expect 13 to have a monster game this week or soon. He’s a rare tough guy who plays WR and he’s polished for his age and reliable. I just expect 12 to light up the board with lizard real soon as Lizard is just now rounding back into football shape. Tonyan too.

With the run gsme being so much more important in Bakhs absence, those run/pass skillset guys gonna see a lot more sweet play action looks.

I don't think the running game will be any more important in Bakh's absence. When Bakh missed 3 games earlier, the Packers run/pass ratio stayed about the same. And last week, with Bakh in the lineup and against a weak pass defense, they ran the ball 37 times and threw it 25 times. Weather conditions may dictate more running, but I don't think Bakh's absence will.

Bossman641
01-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Where's the official thread?

Joemailman
01-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Where's the official thread?

Mad likes to wait until the last 5 minutes.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2021, 02:47 PM
I disagree about the run game being any more important without Bakhtiari. Rodgers has played with questionable quality O Lines most of his career, and I don't think he is much or any less mobile than he was in the past. In addition, one thing I like about LaFleur is that if something is expected, he will do a lot of something less expected. iI expect a big game from Aaron Rodgers, and still a decent amount of running too.

If there is a worry, it's our D, which has been better lately, but tends to be inconsistent and tends to have trouble with a mobile QB like Trubisky.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 02:57 PM
When you're missing the best pass blocker in the NFL, going against one of the best pass rushes.... Sure, running becomes more important!

This year, 12 does make the line look better with quick releases. Anything other than pure wiffs, is usually alright with this qb in this offense.