PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Stink.....

But..... What if......

With Jones, Williams and Dillon sharing the rock, what if Williams becomes a core ST player because he is so smart and good at just about everything. AND Jones becomes the kick returner. I don’t know if we’ve ever had a more perfect skillset to return kicks. He weaves ahead at full speed and has good vision.

Also with EQ coming on a little, maybe you can snip a few snaps from Lazard on offense and make him a core ST guy.

Kirksey is playing less. He could be a core ST guy.

Just go all out with any guy who doesn’t play all the snaps on offense or defense. Maybe??

RashanGary
12-30-2020, 01:53 PM
Rookies who play like Barnes and Martin.... I’d rather not overwhelm them and instead use Kirksey on ST.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Some interesting ideas there. I've thought about Jones as a kick returner too - at least in critical situations. For that matter, Davante Adams as a punt returner would look pretty good too. Of course, the obvious downside is the prospect of injuries, but when it's the 4th quarter and we're down a TD or so, they ought to have a contingency plan in place to do something drastic like that.

As for our return teams, it seems like we have good enough people in the game. In that context, I think guys like Summers and Burks are just as good as Barnes, Martin, and Kirksey. I'd tend to blame coaching and poor preparation for the mishaps and near-mishaps we have had.

Joemailman
12-30-2020, 08:06 PM
Rookies who play like Barnes and Martin.... I’d rather not overwhelm them and instead use Kirksey on ST.

Martin already is a core ST guy. Kirksey probably doesn't have the speed they're looking for. Martin and Summers do. Barnes has already been taken off ST since he's playing every snap on defense.