PDA

View Full Version : Official 2021 Black Monday Thread

Joemailman
01-02-2021, 10:29 PM
Matt Patricia of Detroit and Dan Quinn are already gone.

Adam Gase of New York Jets and Doug Marrone of Jacksonville will be gone. Anthony Lynn of the Chargers could also be gone. Chargers have just found ways to lose the last 2 years.

Some other possibilities:

Zac Taylor of Bengals - 6-24-1 in 2 years.

Doug Pederson of the Eagles - Maybe winning a Super Bowl 3 years ago still buys him time, but they badly underachieved this year.

Matt Nagy of the Bears - He's 28-19 in 3 years. But if they plan to draft a QB, do the Bears want to let Nagy be the one to develop him after failing with Trubisky?

QBME
01-02-2021, 10:50 PM
Matt Patricia of Detroit and Dan Quinn are already gone.

Adam Gase of New York Jets and Doug Marrone of Jacksonville will be gone. Anthony Lynn of the Chargers could also be gone. Chargers have just found ways to lose the last 2 years.

Some other possibilities:

Zac Taylor of Bengals - 6-24-1 in 2 years.

Doug Pederson of the Eagles - Maybe winning a Super Bowl 3 years ago still buys him time, but they badly underachieved this year.

Matt Nagy of the Bears - He's 28-19 in 3 years. But if they plan to draft a QB, do the Bears want to let Nagy be the one to develop him after failing with Trubisky?

Nagy is not the main problem in Chicago. Ryan Pace is the culprit who pissed away treasure and draft picks for Mike Glennon, Nick Foles and Mitch(call me Mitchel) Trubisky.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 09:22 AM
The chargers would be stupid to get rid of Lynn. They’re the poster child for bad injury luck. But then again, matty flower seems to make his own injury luck by being in the flower mindset of not being such a tough guy that he understands limitations of his guys bodies and proactively takes care of the team by practicing less and less intensely.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 09:25 AM
The NFL does seem to be rigged, and Flower does seem to be on the side of the rigging being he coaches the celebrity Green Bay Rodgers’. Everyone looks better in Green and Gold. Favre and Rodgers would be the exception because celebrities get celebrity treatment.

MadtownPacker
01-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Take your meds right now RG, it is going to be a long day.

Cheesehead Craig
01-03-2021, 10:46 AM
Bears are not getting rid of Nagy.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2021, 02:00 PM
Add to that list Mike McCarthy. Kellen Moore was reportedly offered the Boise State job and accepted it, then that all turned around. I'm betting Jerry Jones had a talk with him and said McCarthy wasn't gonna be there after this season, and Moore had a chance to get the Cowboys job.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Add to that list Mike McCarthy. Kellen Moore was reportedly offered the Boise State job and accepted it, then that all turned around. I'm betting Jerry Jones had a talk with him and said McCarthy wasn't gonna be there after this season, and Moore had a chance to get the Cowboys job.

Ole Stubby? One 1 and done?

Joemailman
01-03-2021, 08:19 PM
Gase officially out.

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Dallas already said MM isn't going anywhere. I think they'd be silly to. If a person is a good leader, they don't suddenly lose that skill - although obesity maybe makes them less credible and less active.

George Cumby
01-03-2021, 10:12 PM
Dallas already said MM isn't going anywhere. I think they'd be silly to. If a person is a good leader, they don't suddenly lose that skill - although obesity maybe makes them less credible and less active.

Jones has shown loyalty in the past, probably to a fault with Garrett.

run pMc
01-04-2021, 08:38 AM
M3 will get another shot. They had a lot of chaos this year (4 starting QBs, a coach dying, Covid, locker room issues) and I think Jerrah gives him ONE more year to sort it out.
No surprise Gase is gone - he should be.

I'd add Vic Fangio to the list. Anthony Lynn is definitely on the hot seat.

You forgot Bill O'Brien. That HOU team is a mess.

Joemailman
01-04-2021, 08:46 AM
M3 will get another shot. They had a lot of chaos this year (4 starting QBs, a coach dying, Covid, locker room issues) and I think Jerrah gives him ONE more year to sort it out.
No surprise Gase is gone - he should be.

I'd add Vic Fangio to the list. Anthony Lynn is definitely on the hot seat.

You forgot Bill O'Brien. That HOU team is a mess.

Forgot about O'Brien. He was actually fired in October. Romeo Crennel has been coaching them

SudsMcBucky
01-04-2021, 10:43 AM
Anthony Lynn officially gone.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Anthony Lynn officially gone.

Injury management his only true weakness. Too bad he couldn’t get flower soft like our guy. Injuries have been the difference maker for us

Joemailman
01-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Marrone out at Jacksonville.

Bengals announce Zac Taylor will return.

Joemailman
01-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Falcons, Lions and Jaguars want to talk to Robert Saleh.

QBME
01-04-2021, 07:45 PM
Interesting that nobody has filed requests to interview any Packer folks.
Shhh..

Joemailman
01-04-2021, 08:49 PM
HEAD COACH INTERVIEWS

Atlanta Falcons

Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator -- completed (more)
Joe Brady, Panthers OC -- requested
Raheem Morris, interim Falcons HC -- completed (more)
Robert Saleh, 49ers defensive coordinator -- requested (more)

Detroit Lions

Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator -- requested
Dan Campbell, Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach -- requested
Marvin Lewis, former Bengals HC and current Arizona State co-defensive coordinator -- completed (more)
Robert Saleh, 49ers defensive coordinator -- requested (more)
Arthur Smith, Titans offensive coordinator -- requested

Houston Texans

Jim Caldwell, former Lions and Colts HC -- completed (more)
Matt Eberflus, Colts defensive coordinator -- requested
Marvin Lewis, former Bengals HC and current Arizona State co-defensive coordinator -- completed (more)

Los Angeles Chargers

Jason Garrett, Giants OC -- requested
Brandon Staley, Rams defensive coordinator -- requested

New York Jets

Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator -- requested
Brian Daboll, Bills offensive coordinator -- requested
Patrick Graham, Giants defensive coordinator -- requested
Brandon Staley, Rams defensive coordinator -- requested

GENERAL MANAGER INTERVIEWS

Atlanta Falcons

Morocco Brown, Colts director of college scouting -- requested
Terry Fontenot, Saints VP/assistant GM -- requested
Brad Holmes, Rams college scouting director -- requested
Anthony Robinson, Falcons director of college scouting -- completed (per team)
Rick Smith, former Texans GM -- completed (per team)

Carolina Panthers

Ed Dodds, Colts assistant GM -- requested
Jeff Ireland, Saints assistant GM -- requested
Adam Peters, 49ers VP of Player Personnel -- requested
Ryan Poles, Chiefs assistant director of player personnel -- requested
Jerry Reese, former Giants GM -- requested
Brandt Tilis, Chiefs Director of Football Administration -- requested

Detroit Lions

Thomas Dimitroff, former Falcons GM -- completed (per team)
Terry Fontenot, Saints VP/assistant GM -- requested
Brad Holmes, Rams director of college scouting -- requested
Jeff Ireland, Saints assistant GM -- requested
Rob Lohman, Lions director of pro scouting -- completed (per team)
Lance Newmark, Lions director of player personnel -- completed (per team)
Kyle O'Brien, Lions VP of player personnel -- completed (per team)
George Paton, Vikings assistant GM -- requested
Scott Pioli, NFL Network analyst and former Chiefs GM -- completed (per team)
Louis Riddick, ESPN analyst and former Eagles director of pro personnel -- completed (per team)
Houston Texans

Matt Bazirgan, Texans director of player personnel -- completed (more)
Louis Riddick, ESPN analyst and former Eagles director of pro personnel -- completed (more)

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jerry Reese, former Giants GM -- completed (more)
Louis Riddick, ESPN analyst and former Eagles director of pro personnel -- completed (more)

Bretsky
01-04-2021, 09:01 PM
Injury management his only true weakness. Too bad he couldn’t get flower soft like our guy. Injuries have been the difference maker for us

One of the nicest kindest guys out there; but the dude found ways to lose week after week after week. No way I'd keep him either.

SudsMcBucky
01-05-2021, 10:31 AM
Interesting that nobody has filed requests to interview any Packer folks.
Shhh..

Out of curiosity, who on the Packers staff would really warrant an interview? Everyone in the league fully knows MLF runs the O and does anyone think Pettine would be a HC candidate? Not really sure where'd you'd go from there.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Hackett should be a candidate. He’s a beast coach according to 12 and anyone who’s ever worked with him.

run pMc
01-05-2021, 11:40 AM
So, how would you rank the HC openings, best to worst?

I'm thinking
ATL
LAC
JAX
HOU
DET
NYJ

ATL, HOU and SD all have a QB and receivers. Either injuries or crappy defenses hurt them. HOU doesn't have many draft picks though.
JAX will have draft picks, Trevor Lawrence and a crazy amount of cap space.
DET has Stafford, a TE and RB, and that's it (Golladay and Jones are FA)
NYJ has... um... help me out.. draft picks?

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Detroit is probably the best in my opinion because they do seem to want to change their culture and already have the star QB in place.

Houston is probably second best because they have the star QB, LT in place but they have pretty much nothing else so even if they do everything right it'll take a couple years to be legit.

LAC next because Herbert looks damn good.

Jax because Lawrence.

ATL is a good org historically so that is a solid landing spot. Arthur Blank isn't a dingleberry.

Packers4Glory
01-05-2021, 01:09 PM
Injury management his only true weakness. Too bad he couldn’t get flower soft like our guy. Injuries have been the difference maker for us I was curious as to the issues there. Someone mentioned some clock management issues to that might have contributed to some close losses. I mean they were in virtually every game and lost by a pretty thin margin in a lot of them.

The worst part is they have a stud young QB who now instead of heading into, what we all have lived, year 2 of a an offense, he's going into year 1 of a whole new one. What these teams do to young QB's is just criminal. From changing coaching to not having a sold O-Line. Spend draft capital on a QB and then make it as unstable as possible around him.

Smidgeon
01-05-2021, 01:47 PM
So, how would you rank the HC openings, best to worst?

I'm thinking
ATL
LAC
JAX
HOU
DET
NYJ

ATL, HOU and SD all have a QB and receivers. Either injuries or crappy defenses hurt them. HOU doesn't have many draft picks though.
JAX will have draft picks, Trevor Lawrence and a crazy amount of cap space.
DET has Stafford, a TE and RB, and that's it (Golladay and Jones are FA)
NYJ has... um... help me out.. draft picks?

Easily LAC. Young QB, young pass rusher. HOU has a young QB and an old pass rusher. ATL has an old QB. JAX will have a young QB, but it's the Jaguars. Same with the Jets. DET has an old QB.

Bossman641
01-05-2021, 02:03 PM
Atlanta is 37 million over the cap and has huge deals with about 6 players. Detroit has Stafford and Golladay but not much else.

I'd pick Chargers as the best although Jax and the Jets certainly have a lot of cap space.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 02:12 PM
Atlanta is 37 million over the cap and has huge deals with about 6 players. Detroit has Stafford and Golladay but not much else.

I'd pick Chargers as the best although Jax and the Jets certainly have a lot of cap space.

Jax intrigues me with the money. The Jets are seemingly perpetually bad, intentionally. If you don't resign Jamal Adams when you have boatloads of cash, something is seriously wrong with the organization.

The Jets could load up on free agent covid cap talent. Doubting them is good money though. How can you not at this point.

Betting on Jax seems like good money tho. They seem to be competitive in spurts, just never got their stud QB.

SudsMcBucky
01-05-2021, 02:38 PM
If I were a highly sought coach, the Jax job, of the ones open, would be by far the most enticing to me. The #1 pick, lots of cap space, awesome weather, and the new owner seems willing to help how he can.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 02:54 PM
If I were a highly sought coach, the Jax job, of the ones open, would be by far the most enticing to me. The #1 pick, lots of cap space, awesome weather, and the new owner seems willing to help how he can.

Agree and having never had a great QB, they keep finding themselves successful in spurts. I want a QB guru to go there and WIN! Hackett would be a really cool fit. I’d root for them all day if Hack goes there. He’s got west coast roots as deep as they get from his dad, and modern experience with an OL guru, Marone, and now time with the Shannahan tree. He brings so damn much the table.

As a Packer fan, I want him to stay where he’s at, but as a football fan and fan of personalities, I want him to get his shot in a great place with a great young QB.

KYPack
01-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Doug Pederson found out Black Monday gets everybody one way or the other.

He said he was coaching to win, but the owner thought different and punched his ticket today.

Joemailman
01-11-2021, 02:26 PM
I thought throughout the year Pederson made some questionable coaching moves, and I suspect that pulling Hurts was just the last straw. Probably no team in the NFL underachieved more than the Eagles so this is not a big surprise to me. Gonna be a tough situation for whoever replaces him though. As things stand right now, they'll be 51 Million over the cap when the new league year starts. It'll be worse if they want to get rid of Wentz. Only the Saints are worse.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-11-2021, 02:56 PM
I thought throughout the year Pederson made some questionable coaching moves, and I suspect that pulling Hurts was just the last straw. Probably no team in the NFL underachieved more than the Eagles so this is not a big surprise to me. Gonna be a tough situation for whoever replaces him though. As things stand right now, they'll be 51 Million over the cap when the new league year starts. It'll be worse if they want to get rid of Wentz. Only the Saints are worse.

Pederson won a Super Bowl as a backup QB, and he won a Super Bowl WITH a backup QB. The guy knows what he’s doing when it comes down to backup QBs.

Pederson deserved the benefit of the doubt, at least for another season or two.

Joemailman
01-12-2021, 08:16 PM
Matt Nagy and GM Ryan Pace expected to return to Chicago. DC Chuck Pagano retires.

call_me_ishmael
01-14-2021, 11:16 AM
I was really hoping Urban Meyer would go to the Cowboys (last year) or something. I'm keenly interested in seeing how he translates given his success in college. Going to Jacksonville or NYJ is not going to paint a fair picture IMO when he inevitably fails.

bobblehead
01-14-2021, 11:55 AM
Hackett should be a candidate. He’s a beast coach according to 12 and anyone who’s ever worked with him.

Bortles and the Jaguars offense got worse each year Hackett was there. I'm not a fan, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm surprised no one has given Caldwell more ink. He is the only coach who wasn't a complete shit show in Detroit over the last 2 decades.

bobblehead
01-14-2021, 12:00 PM
Jacksonville is probably the ideal landing spot in my book. Its a complete rebuild with your QB, RB1, WR1/2 all in place. They still have a 1st after TLaw. With money to burn in an offseason likely to see some big cap casualties and bargain deals they are a team that could be 10-6 year 1.

Joemailman
01-14-2021, 01:17 PM
Bortles and the Jaguars offense got worse each year Hackett was there. I'm not a fan, but maybe I'm wrong.

Bortles was decent for a couple years when he had Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns at WR. His downfall wasn't due to Hackett's offense. His career hasn't exactly rebounded since he's been separated from Hackett. And things have only gotten worse for Jacksonville since they made Hackett a scapegoat and fired him.

call_me_ishmael
01-14-2021, 02:33 PM
Jacksonville is probably the ideal landing spot in my book. Its a complete rebuild with your QB, RB1, WR1/2 all in place. They still have a 1st after TLaw. With money to burn in an offseason likely to see some big cap casualties and bargain deals they are a team that could be 10-6 year 1.

Good point. My concern is that Jax is just such a mess all the time and perpetually bad franchise. Maybe this time will be different.

Zool
01-14-2021, 02:44 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/index.htm

There's quite a few teams in the NFL that would like this sort of record over the last 25 years.

Joemailman
01-14-2021, 07:29 PM
Jags hire Urban Meyer.

Joemailman
01-14-2021, 10:27 PM
Jets hiring Saleh as HC. Mike LaFleur expected to be OC.

texaspackerbacker
01-15-2021, 12:32 PM
Yeah, apparently the Jets hired Saleh. It seems like a LOT of these hot prospects are "great" because they have great personnel to work with.

Fritz
01-15-2021, 12:36 PM
Jags hire Urban Meyer.

Wow. I thought he was dying, like, three years ago.

Fritz
01-15-2021, 12:37 PM
Yeah, apparently the Jets hired Saleh. It seems like a LOT of these hot prospects are "great" because they have great personnel to work with.

And there goes a guy the Lions wanted.

Detroit hired a GM - the Rams' director of college scouting. Kind of a weird hire, it seems. But I don't really know that much.

George Cumby
01-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Jags hire Urban Meyer.

Am I alone thinking this isn't a great hire?

Jaire
01-15-2021, 01:18 PM

Nope. Me too.

And read between the lines: Vic Ketchem thinks it's for tickets sales.

But the Jets might turn their ship around.

Zool
01-15-2021, 01:29 PM

I keep wondering if he'll push for Fields to be drafted above Lawrence. He had to be the one who recruited Fields out of high school.

Edit: Upon further review, I forgot (or never knew) that Fields started his college career at Georgia. His first year at OSU was the year after Meyer.

I still think he'll (Meyer) be an almost was.

run pMc
01-15-2021, 02:35 PM

No. I am deeply skeptical of college coaches successfully making the jump to the pros. The failures vastly outweigh the successes. The margin of athleticism between teams is so much smaller vs. college, the salary cap, grown men with agents vs. scholarship kids, the level of complexity in schemes and playbooks...
Chip Kelly, Nick Saban, etc. The guy in ARI is ok.
Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson are the exceptions, and Carroll had previous pro coaching experience. Jimmy had the Herschel Walker trade and a couple of amazing drafts.

The other thing with Meyer is he's quit a couple times for health reasons already -- if he thinks CFB is tough, the pros will take years off his life.

Meyer might succeed, but I'm skeptical.
He'll have a few things in his favor: a talented rookie QB and salary cap space. He doesn't have a lot of pieces to build from on the roster, but it's a MUCH better situation than Philly.

run pMc
01-15-2021, 02:41 PM
I like the Saleh hire, I think he's a very good DC. We'll find out if he's a good HC. He's a got a mess on his hands in NYJ but bringing LaFleur from SF will help.
Maybe he flames out, but it's hard to imagine him worse than Gase. I still don't know how he got the job with the Jets after his time in Miami.

Saleh did benefit from a lot of defensive talent that he won't have in NY; I think that team is a multi-year rebuild effort and that owner/fanbase combo is tough.

Joemailman
01-15-2021, 03:25 PM
Dan Campbell, Saints Asst. HC/TE coach seen as favorite for Lions job. He's been a favorite to get a HC job for a couple years now.

Joemailman
01-15-2021, 10:59 PM
Falcons hire Titans OC Arthur Smith as HC.

So far:

Jaguars - Urban Meyer

Jets - Robert Saleh

Falcons - Arthur Smith

run pMc
01-15-2021, 11:43 PM
Arthur Smith is a sharp OC, ATL's problems seemed to be more bad luck and worse defense this year.
Have to think the hire hurts TEN. He did good work with Tannehill, he can get that out of Ryan and Ridley/Julio.

Hiring a OC or DC to be the HC seems more likely for success vs. a college coach, but you still never really know. He could end up being another Kyle Shanahan or he could be Marty Mornhinweg.

Joemailman
01-16-2021, 10:56 AM
Atlanta hiring Smith probably good news for Packers. Atlanta was the only team that had interviewed Nathaniel Hackett for HC.

Joemailman
01-18-2021, 09:09 AM
Chargers hiring Rams DC Brandon Staley as Head Coach.

Bretsky
01-18-2021, 01:14 PM
ERIC BEINAMY ??????????? I thought he was the #1 hot prospect...

Joemailman
01-18-2021, 01:23 PM
ERIC BEINAMY ??????????? I thought he was the #1 hot prospect...

He has 2 chances left - Houston and Philly. There will be some controversy if he does not get a HC job.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2021, 01:50 PM
I have no idea if Bienemy would be a good head coach or not, but he is a classic case - an offensive coordinator working for an offensive minded head coach. He also fits the other stereotype - the OC of a team with an offensive superstar. Think Joe Philbin. For that matter, think Nathaniel Hackett.

SudsMcBucky
01-18-2021, 02:23 PM
Maybe Bienemy just isn't interviewing very well. If he can't lay out a good plan for using existing personnel, how his scheme fits that, what his philosophies are, or just doesn't even present them well, then he might have a hard time getting the head job until he can.

Zool
01-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Maybe Bienemy just isn't interviewing very well. If he can't lay out a good plan for using existing personnel, how his scheme fits that, what his philosophies are, or just doesn't even present them well, then he might have a hard time getting the head job until he can.

Or a team is waiting until his season is over?

Joemailman
01-18-2021, 05:05 PM
Or a team is waiting until his season is over?

That is possible. Chargers announced they were signing Staley 2 days after Rams season ended.

Joemailman
01-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Dan Campbell will be announced as Lions new HC tomorrow.

Joemailman
01-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Eagles hire Nick Sirianni, Colts OC, as HC. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30753841/philadelphia-eagles-hiring-nick-sirianni-head-coach-sources-say

Fritz
01-22-2021, 10:43 AM
Dan Campbell will be announced as Lions new HC tomorrow.

Lions' fans think he knocked his presser out of the park. Lots of manly talk about playing physical, building a winner, pulling in the same direction, all of that.

We'll see.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2021, 01:06 PM
The whole eat someones knees and stuff was really strange, though.

RashanGary
01-22-2021, 03:29 PM
The whole eat someones knees and stuff was really strange, though.

No stranger than a 37 year old white male talking at Packer rats in the dialect of a 60 year old black man

Fritz
01-23-2021, 05:10 PM
Who do that?

RashanGary
01-23-2021, 05:30 PM
Who do that?

Partial. He’s always calling people folks and talks so mature, like a calm 68 year old weathered black man. It’s like he mimics elderly black leaders but he’s 37 years old suburban white.

RashanGary
01-23-2021, 05:36 PM
I need to STFU tho. Personality discussion and how it evolves isn't football and starts to sound an awful lot like FYI. Self check before the ban, mad. Cut me some slack, eh!

Joemailman
01-28-2021, 07:36 AM
Texans hire Ravens Asst. HC David Culley as their HC. Culley was also the Ravens passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Culley at age 65 is the olðest first-time NFL HC. He is black.

Ravens were last in the NFL in passing yards, but also had the fewest passing attempts.