Sparkey
01-03-2021, 11:40 PM
Washington @home against Tampa Bay

Winner travels to Green Bay

Joemailman
01-03-2021, 11:54 PM
Washington @home against Tampa Bay

Winner travels to Green Bay

Probably, but not necessarily. Packers would play lowest surviving seed.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2021, 12:10 AM
Probably, but not necessarily. Packers would play lowest surviving seed.

Let's go Bears! They did take the Saints to OT earlier in the year.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 10:27 AM
We’re gonna get Tampa, Rams or Bears. My hope is Bears. We would be favorites against all considering cold weather and our run game is tops in the NFC picture right now. Plus Lazard, Tonyan and Mercedes further open the run threat!

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 10:30 AM
The week off to get healthy is so important. Keke gets a couple weeks off. Our whole defensive and offensive fronts will benefit greatly from some recovery time. Preston finally looks leaned back out to last years version. Clark healthy, Keke healthy, Gary healthy, Z and P healthy and then the backups of Lowry, Lancaster and Snacks healthy. That front should be a big edge in any game we play.

Joemailman
01-04-2021, 10:34 AM
The week off to get healthy is so important. Keke gets a couple weeks off. Our whole defensive and offensive fronts will benefit greatly from some recovery time. Preston finally looks leaned back out to last years version. Clark healthy, Keke healthy, Gary healthy, Z and P healthy and then the backups of Lowry, Lancaster and Snacks healthy. That front should be a big edge in any game we play.

Wagner especially. Looked like he might have aggravated his knee again yesterday and had to fight through it. This will be a godsend for him.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Wagner especially. Looked like he might have aggravated his knee again yesterday and had to fight through it. This will be a godsend for him.

Yep. The whole front, especially Gary (ankle) and Wagner (knee) get a big advantage with the time off. So rare that we get a bye. So nice to have an advantage. Hopefully we play Saturday and get an extra day off going into the NFCC game too!

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2021, 12:20 AM
Pretty impressive

OFFENSE
1st in points/game
5th in yards/game
8th in rush yards/game
9th in pass yards/game
2nd in sacks allowed
2nd in 3rd down %
1st in Passer Rating
1st in Red Zone Scoring %

DEFENSE
13th in points/game
9th in yards/game
13th in rush yards/game
7th in pass yards/game
10th in sacks
10th in Opponent 3rd down %
13th in Opponent Passer Rating
8th in Opponent Red Zone Scoring %

7th in turnover margin
11th in fewest penalties
1st in time of possession

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 08:34 AM
Yep.... contender for sure, especially considering we were pedestrian in a lot of defensive stats just 6 weeks ago so our overall strength leans mightily on peaking right now.

3rd in total dvoa and peaking down the stretch. Damn near SB favorites right now!

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 08:41 AM
I’m spamming this point like a psycho, but our OL and DL/Edge players need a bye week so bad. It’s been since week 5. Especially the defensive front with guys like Keke, Lowry, Lancaster getting major snaps.... we need to be rested and healthy to be effective up front. Goes for our OTs as well. Wagner and Turner will be so much better at or near 100%. This really has been a lucky year. 12 winning a championship would open up the goat talk.

As for the defensive secondary.... king has seemed dead set this year on proving he can play zone coverage. And he’s shown to be a steady average zone player. But Lafleur (and just about any personnel survey from the offseason) insist king is an elite man defender. Lafleur has said, two conferences straight, that he wants king lining up in man coverage to make it harder on the offense to lose convert those third downs. I expect yet another advance in defensive play as king leans into his strength and let’s go of his mission to prove he can play different styles of defense.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 08:45 AM
It’s time to ride with what we have! Sure it’s nice that king has developed so much as a zone defender. Pettine can call zone blitzes and mask his defensive calls to create confusion for quarterbacks and for blocking schemes. However..... it’s time to ride your strengths as players and units. I expect the defense has yet one more gear and the main subject of growth is our weakest link in the secondary, king, leaning harder on his best trait, man coverage, and stopping those easier conversions on money downs.

Upnorth
01-05-2021, 12:20 PM
My biggest concerns in the playoff field are Saints and bucs. Both teams are stacked with talent. I know we are no slouches either but still hope for some wild card upsets.

Jaire
01-05-2021, 12:22 PM
I’m spamming this point like a psycho, but our OL and DL/Edge players need a bye week so bad. It’s been since week 5. Especially the defensive front with guys like Keke, Lowry, Lancaster getting major snaps.... we need to be rested and healthy to be effective up front. Goes for our OTs as well. Wagner and Turner will be so much better at or near 100%. This really has been a lucky year. 12 winning a championship would open up the goat talk.

As for the defensive secondary.... king has seemed dead set this year on proving he can play zone coverage. And he’s shown to be a steady average zone player. But Lafleur (and just about any personnel survey from the offseason) insist king is an elite man defender. Lafleur has said, two conferences straight, that he wants king lining up in man coverage to make it harder on the offense to lose convert those third downs. I expect yet another advance in defensive play as king leans into his strength and let’s go of his mission to prove he can play different styles of defense.

Agree on the first point.

Why is LaFleur not in charge of this? Is this Pettine or King calling the shots? I don't understand.

Guiness
01-05-2021, 01:07 PM

On the DL side, is Billy Winn back? I think he was expected back about now, but when Harrison was signed (he also did not play, right) I assumed he was behind schedule.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2021, 01:36 PM
On the DL side, is Billy Winn back? I think he was expected back about now, but when Harrison was signed (he also did not play, right) I assumed he was behind schedule.

Harrison played 12 snaps.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Agree on the first point.

Why is LaFleur not in charge of this? Is this Pettine or King calling the shots? I don't understand.

King has actually been long considered a top tier man coverage guy. Surveys of nfl execs had him above jaire in pure man coverage. The knock on king is is off and zone coverages. I’m sure he’s trying to show the league he’s complete in his contract year. Props to Lafleur for letting him, honestly. It will pay off with our expanded playbook down the stretch and nothing wrong with motivating guys by allowing them to build their resume.

But it’s post season. Time to put down the resume building and win at all costs. King will play more man. Count on it.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 01:42 PM
King is working on off and zone coverages because he wants to get paid. And he’s much improved. He’s right there either breaking up or almost breaking up short ones now that he’s put so much effort in. R-E-L-A-X

And when receivers are bunched, off coverage prevents rubs and picks. He had to get better at it or teams would bunch up and expose him. He doesn’t have to do it when he’s alone with a guy in the back side of a play or when guys aren’t bunched. He’s grinding hard to improve a weakness.

It’s over. Lafleur said so. It’s man coverage for King unless guys are bunched up. And in that case, you can rest assured that the work he’s put in will pay off because teams will try to bunch guys up when they know king is manning up. He’s almost unbeatable in man coverage. He’s a threat.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 01:43 PM
People are so quick to “how could he possibly” things. Because he’s working on his game for fucks sake. Get over yourselves.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2021, 01:43 PM
There are different types of man coverage. Just because a guy is playing off doesn't mean it's not man. I think you mean press man. King isn't better than Jaire--except maybe press.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 01:58 PM
There are different types of man coverage. Just because a guy is playing off doesn't mean it's not man. I think you mean press man. King isn't better than Jaire--except maybe press.

Yeah, king is an elite press man corner. Jaire is an elite off coverage corner with damn good press man skills. But kk has every right to work on his game. And it does pay off when we do off coverage zone blitzes and the other varieties of coverages that keep offenses off balance. Young guys have to work on their game. It’s so weird to here the no excuses crowd bitching about guys being human and doing basic human things like practicing their craft.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 02:02 PM
Jaire is rare in that his worst talent is B+ level stuff. King is common in that his worst areas were C level stuff. But he might be in the B- range for varieties of off coverage now with A+ press man.

With the rubs and picks not being called opi anymore, guys like king are forced to round out their game. Relax for fucks sake while he practices his craft. He’s clearly improving.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 02:04 PM
It’s so weird to here the fuck Gary crowd after one season or the fuck Davante crowd that came up a few years ago, or the fuck Rodgers crowd or even the king crowd now. Re fucking lax

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 02:06 PM
This is fucking football. Guys master their techniques over time. Seeing kids bitch, I get it, they're kids, they have no clue they have no clue. But this place is majority gen x to boomer age. What the actual fuck.

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2021, 03:07 PM
I think you're hitching your wagon to the wrong star in defending King.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 03:30 PM
I think you're hitching your wagon to the wrong star in defending King.

Hey, I'm still with MVS too. I'm loyal if nothing else. And I'm hitched to your stubborn ass too. Gotta take the good with the bad ol’school.

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2021, 03:37 PM
I hear ya. You and I see things mostly the same.

It's like this, though: if a WR makes one spectacular play and one colossal blunder (MVS), the team generally is a lot better off. If a DB does the same thing, though, it's one negative play and one TD for the opponent, not a good trade-off.

Also, I see a LOT more upside in MVS than I do in King. Also, MVS isn't a tough decision (yet) - pay him or don't pay him like King is.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 03:55 PM
I support letting him go. His improvement in off coverage will make him unaffordable. I support letting MVS go after next year too. But right now, King has improved his weaknesses and can lean on his strength now that it matters most and Lafleur has put his foot down on growing pains as a post season option.

Jaire
01-05-2021, 11:33 PM
Jordy didn't break out until his 3rd year in the playoffs in 2010. I think MVS might have a longer learning curve but we saw a glimpse in Detroit.

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2021, 12:07 PM
It's a good thing he had this latest drop in a comfortable victory. Clearly, he lost concentration on the second long throw. With that fresh in his mind, he should be able to make it through the playoffs without it happening again - hopefully.

Upnorth
01-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Mvs is at worst a good 3rd wr. Why are we bitching?

George Cumby
01-06-2021, 08:17 PM

The only happy Packerrat is a bitching Packerrat?

Zool
01-06-2021, 09:56 PM

Because he’s so maddeningly inconsistent? Just catch the fucking ball. He might be a 1000 yard receiver if he ever gets a hand or head transplant.

call_me_ishmael
01-06-2021, 10:36 PM
I don't think he's James Jones, but maybe he is? JJ couldn't catch the ball consistently in year 3 either IIRC.

Upnorth
01-07-2021, 10:59 AM
James Jones in 2009 had a 52% catch rate. 2010 was 57%.
Mvs is 2019 47% and 2020 52%.
Similar trend. Mvs is further down field playing with worse talent but with a better scheme. Could very well become jones part 2. So frustratingly awesome.

texaspackerbacker
01-07-2021, 01:27 PM
James Jones was damn good, but he didn't have game-breaking speed like Valdez-Scantling. As I recall, he was drafted a little bit higher too. Are those catch percentages based on targets? Or catchable balls? If it's targets, even with Aaron Rodgers, there are occasional throws a receiver wouldn't be expected to catch. And the farther down the field, the more likely that is.

Upnorth
01-07-2021, 01:56 PM
James Jones was damn good, but he didn't have game-breaking speed like Valdez-Scantling. As I recall, he was drafted a little bit higher too. Are those catch percentages based on targets? Or catchable balls? If it's targets, even with Aaron Rodgers, there are occasional throws a receiver wouldn't be expected to catch. And the farther down the field, the more likely that is.

Football outsiders so I believe targets. Pff does catchable balls to the best of my knowledge

RashanGary
01-07-2021, 02:27 PM
Because he’s so maddeningly inconsistent? Just catch the fucking ball. He might be a 1000 yard receiver if he ever gets a hand or head transplant.

Sometimes 700 and 7 40+ bombs is nice even if it's not the consistency of the leagues top guys. He's ok, a 1.5 trick pony that helps our offense open up. Inconsistent, yes. You wish he would put it all together, yes. But guys like MVs, Mercedes, erv, etc.... Some guys are situational vs complete. Even Jamal is more strictly 3rd down and ST. It's just life in the league.

QBME
01-07-2021, 09:56 PM

This.