PDA

View Full Version : Deion Branch - a guy with class

Patler
09-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Javon Walker could take some lessons. From Branch's meeting with the media in Seattle, as reported by the AP:

"He thanked Patriots owner Robert Kraft, coach Bill Belichick, vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, the New England organization and Patriots fans for "drafting me and giving me the opportunity to be the player that I excel to be."

"As for his former teammates, who on Monday voiced their sadness over him leaving, Branch said glumly, "I'm going to miss those guys."

Kind of refresshing, isn't it? Especially considering that he was being fined $14,000 per day and owes the Patriots close to $600,000.

packinpatland
09-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I think his mother taught to him to always say somthing nice or shut up, and more importantly................don't burn bridges!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-13-2006, 08:58 AM
He would of showed more class if he played out his contract, and got an Extension worked out in the same manner as DD did.

You're considered to have class if you don't rip the team that you won three super bowls with, after forcing them to trade you?

packinpatland
09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
No one but the principals know all the details, I say he took the high road.

Tony Oday
09-13-2006, 09:33 AM
He waited until the last year of his contract which is the accepted way to do business in the NFL and the Pats didnt think he was worth it and dealt him and got a good deal. MY guess is they wont collect on most of the fines and call it good enough.

Patler
09-13-2006, 09:57 AM
He would of showed more class if he played out his contract, and got an Extension worked out in the same manner as DD did.

You're considered to have class if you don't rip the team that you won three super bowls with, after forcing them to trade you?

Yes, you have class if you handle it in a professional, business-like manner. Players have the right to hold out and the team has the right to fine them $14,000 per day if they do. It's an understood aspect of the relationship between the players and the teams.

Had he held out until the 10th game, as he said he intended, his fines would have been around $1.5 million, which would have exceeded his scheduled salary for 2006 by about $500,000. He was scheduled to be paid $1.045 million. This is not a guy who had a big rookie contract. He was the last pick of the second round in 2002, and did not sign a lucrative rookie contract, receiving just a $1,025,000 signing bonus. His total paymets received from the Patriots through 2005 has been just $2,275,000 for four years play and a Super Bowl MVP performance.

I'm not a big fan of holdouts, but if anyone is justified in doing it, Branch is justified. He was entering his last contract year, after playing four seasons for the NFL minimum base salary every season, and having received bonuses over 4 years of just $1,275,000. He was coming off a 2005 season of 78 receptions for 998 yards the year after being Super Bowl MVP.

Branch was drafted the same year as Walker, has had some injuries too and therefore had played just 5 games more than Walker through the end of 2005. Yet he had 54 more receptions than Walker in the 4 seasons, and he was paid almost $4,000,000 LESS than Walker was over those four years. (Just over $2 million for Branch over $6 million for Walker).

I don't blame Deion Branch at all.

mmmdk
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Branch is good, 'Hawks kinda overpaid but like our Kampman, some guys like those are hard to get.

green_bowl_packer
09-13-2006, 11:37 AM
I saw him interviewed on the NFL network last night and thought the exact same thing that he was a class act and other's could learn a lesson from him as far as holding out goes. He didn't say one negative thing and was actually complimentary to the Patriots on his way out.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2006, 01:21 PM
At least he didnt cheer on the sidelines when Brady got sacked. He wanted out but didnt bash the team, cant hate on him.

KYPack
09-13-2006, 03:01 PM
NE has a "value system" in evaluating players.

They rated Branch at a certain salary level and were not going to exceed that as an organization. Branch had done everything he could possibly do and wanted to get paid at a higher level.

The Pats said we can't do it & weren't gonna pay him what he could get in the market. So Branch was traded for the #1 pick from the Hawks.

It's business, but it was the tough side of the biz.

NE let Branch & Vinateri go based on their principles. They are a tough minded bunch.

Patler
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
NE has a "value system" in evaluating players.

They rated Branch at a certain salary level and were not going to exceed that as an organization. Branch had done everything he could possibly do and wanted to get paid at a higher level.

The Pats said we can't do it & weren't gonna pay him what he could get in the market. So Branch was traded for the #1 pick from the Hawks.

It's business, but it was the tough side of the biz.

NE let Branch & Vinateri go based on their principles. They are a tough minded bunch.

Yup, and it works extremely well so long as you keep finding the likes of Deion Branch as the last pick in round 2. The article about their front office that was widely circulated last year quoted someone who said that to be competitive you HAVE to have players that are underpaid, who "outplay" their contract. With a salary cap, if you have only players who are fairly paid, you will be average at best.

Interesting outlook, but realistic, in my opinion.