PDA

View Full Version : Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bretsky
04-22-2021, 01:46 AM
Rondale Moore is a good player. Short, but well built, fast, smart.... he’s kind of an ideal gadget player for Lafleur and Rodgers.

injured in college but a stud when he was on the field. I would be fine with him at 29

run pMc
04-22-2021, 08:21 AM
Interesting read:
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-positional-value-matters-in-the-nfl-draft

Was a little surprised by some of the rankings (OT & ED were lower than I'd have expected) but overall I think is accurate and likely explains GB's apparent lack of investing high round picks in off-ball LBs. Being a copycat league, I do wonder if that will change after the TB super bowl win -- David & White were pretty important for them.
I expect a scheme that highlights a specific player at a specific position (I'm thinking of Alvin Kamara or Derrick Henry) would more highly value that specific player and 'overdraft' them.

bobblehead
04-22-2021, 10:25 AM
I think this year they can trade those comp picks. Glad they did that. It opens things up for good GM's, and creates a minefield for lousy GM's.

My problem in all this is that I read so little about these guys, that the one thing I read becomes my opinion, to the exclusion of all else. And I only get to know about ten or fifteen guys at all, so if the Packers pick someone not in that group, I automatically think it's a bad pick.

It's lazy fan dumbness. I don't know shit. You guys who watch some clips and do a lot of reading know a hell of a lot more than I do. But just remember Gute has watched about twenty times what you have. And has seen some of these guys in person, and talked to them. It doesn't mean he's a great GM - that's still to be determined - but he has a lot more information than we do. And most of you have a lot more information than I do.

And the one time I thought I knew something for real - because I'd watched Rashan Gary for a few years, albeit casually, and didn't see him do shit - it turns out I might've been wrong there, too.

Having information and the ability to process it are 2 entirely different things. I have cooled a little on my Gutes hate temporarily because I always say results matter more than my impression. However he is still living off TT. He had a ton of cap room and several all pros at key positions when he took over. I want to see what happens when he has to replace Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Bak, Clark et al instead of just handing out big money for established players.

I'm not as impressed as many here with Savage. Gary still only played about 450 snaps last year. He crushed the Alexander and Jenkins picks, but beyond that I'm not impressed with his ability to scout talent so far. That can change as most of his draftees are young and could still improve, and Gary certainly has flashed that he may be a stud. Savage has flashed being solid, but I haven't seen anything that wowed me. I guess its still early and like I said, I have tempered my hate, but I'm not ready to be on board with Gutes as the long tern answer just yet.

Fritz
04-22-2021, 10:52 AM
Having information and the ability to process it are 2 entirely different things. I have cooled a little on my Gutes hate temporarily because I always say results matter more than my impression. However he is still living off TT. He had a ton of cap room and several all pros at key positions when he took over. I want to see what happens when he has to replace Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Bak, Clark et al instead of just handing out big money for established players.

I'm not as impressed as many here with Savage. Gary still only played about 450 snaps last year. He crushed the Alexander and Jenkins picks, but beyond that I'm not impressed with his ability to scout talent so far. That can change as most of his draftees are young and could still improve, and Gary certainly has flashed that he may be a stud. Savage has flashed being solid, but I haven't seen anything that wowed me. I guess its still early and like I said, I have tempered my hate, but I'm not ready to be on board with Gutes as the long tern answer just yet.

I'm with you on Gutes. You also point out, as I have, that this is in part because the vast majority of the best players on that team are from Thompson: Rodgers, Bakh, Adams, Tonyan, Linsley (before he left), Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark. And, as you said, a ton of cap space. Well, Gute has used up that resource pretty quickly, so we'll see how he does now that he has to manage the whole thing and account for the spending he's done.

bobblehead
04-22-2021, 11:00 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-this-citadel-football-and-track-star-doesnt-need-the-nfl-in-2021-but-teams-sure-could-use-him/

This feels like a gutes pick.

RashanGary
04-22-2021, 12:15 PM
injured in college but a stud when he was on the field. I would be fine with him at 29

He would have a spot in our offense for sure. I’m not sure if we can keep Adams but Gute seems pretty dead set on core players. Gutes profile says Adams will be extended.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2021, 02:10 PM
I want no part of Rondale Moore in the 1st round.

On a side note: Simi Fehoko is an interesting watch as a Packers fan. He kind of looks like Jake Kumerow, but his athletic profile is very similar to Jeff Janis. He's like a Kumerow/Janis hybrid. :)

Simi Fehoko = 6'4" 222 4.44 40, 4.26 ss, 6.78 3 cone
Jeff Janis = 6'3" 219 4.42 40, 3.98 ss, 6.64 3 cone
Jake Kumerow = 6'4 1/2" 209, 4.54 40, 4.26 ss, 6.90, 3 cone

On top of that, he has the hands of MVS. :)

RashanGary
04-22-2021, 03:21 PM
I want no part of Rondale Moore in the 1st round.

On a side note: Simi Fehoko is an interesting watch as a Packers fan. He kind of looks like Jake Kumerow, but his athletic profile is very similar to Jeff Janis. He's like a Kumerow/Janis hybrid. :)

Simi Fehoko = 6'4" 222 4.44 40, 4.26 ss, 6.78 3 cone
Jeff Janis = 6'3" 219 4.42 40, 3.98 ss, 6.64 3 cone
Jake Kumerow = 6'4 1/2" 209, 4.54 40, 4.26 ss, 6.90, 3 cone

On top of that, he has the hands of MVS. :)

Moore is kind of a luxury pick. I think he’s a good bet to be a long time, impactful NFL player. It’s a luxury though and probably more like a second round pick.

RashanGary
04-24-2021, 10:43 PM
Jim Nagy, who heads up the senior bowl, said next year will be a loaded senior class. Lots of players opted in for a 5th year of college (covid eligibility) and will make next year's round 3-6 absolutely stacked.

Gute said the same thing. Shallow class this year because of senior opt ins, indicating next year would be loaded.

Let's hope for a decent comp pick for Lindsley and Jamal Williams. Maybe trade this year's picks for picks next year in the same round.

Bretsky
04-25-2021, 12:22 AM
Jim Nagy, who heads up the senior bowl, said next year will be a loaded senior class. Lots of players opted in for a 5th year of college (covid eligibility) and will make next year's round 3-6 absolutely stacked.

Gute said the same thing. Shallow class this year because of senior opt ins, indicating next year would be loaded.

Let's hope for a decent comp pick for Lindsley and Jamal Williams. Maybe trade this year's picks for picks next year in the same round.

I've watched Hoody Genius to this and a few others. Typically you get a round up. In other words, if you trade this years 3rd you'd get a 2nd next year. We should do that with out 3rd every year :)))

call_me_ishmael
04-25-2021, 12:28 AM

Man, not even a little bit for me. Injured 2 of his 3 years in college - 5'7" - no thanks in the first 3 rounds. After that, absol-stinking-lutely!

call_me_ishmael
04-25-2021, 12:30 AM
He would have a spot in our offense for sure. I’m not sure if we can keep Adams but Gute seems pretty dead set on core players. Gutes profile says Adams will be extended.

Anyone with a brain says you keep one of the best receivers in the NFL - duh. There is a 0% chance they don't resign Adams. 0%.

RashanGary
04-25-2021, 12:09 PM
Anyone with a brain says you keep one of the best receivers in the NFL - duh. There is a 0% chance they don't resign Adams. 0%.

I don't know about zero. The difference between Adams and Jones might be 15M per year. It's a harder choice. We have no clue what's happening to the cap. I would say 10% chance

Bretsky
04-25-2021, 12:49 PM
If Adams does not re sign I think it's probably a safe call that they franchise him

I have a f'cking great idea............Extend Rodgers and reduce some cap space to make the signing easier... and give our franchise QB the security that he'll finish his career as a Packer :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

bobblehead
04-25-2021, 12:58 PM
If Adams does not re sign I think it's probably a safe call that they franchise him

I have a f'cking great idea............Extend Rodgers and reduce some cap space to make the signing easier... and give our franchise QB the security that he'll finish his career as a Packer :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Or, let him walk, trade Rodgers for draft capital after this season and do a 1 year reset where Love learns and we gain a top 12 pick. Then after using the picks to restock with young talent use the money available to fill holes and try to win one while Love is still on his rookie deal.

texaspackerbacker
04-25-2021, 03:03 PM
Sounds like a recipe for going into the shitter and staying there for a long while.

RashanGary
04-25-2021, 03:23 PM
Or, let him walk, trade Rodgers for draft capital after this season and do a 1 year reset where Love learns and we gain a top 12 pick. Then after using the picks to restock with young talent use the money available to fill holes and try to win one while Love is still on his rookie deal.

In October 2008, Rosgers signed a 6 year 66M deal. His contract was ridiculous for those first 5 years of him starting. Love won't get Mahommes money after one year. We’ll.have a chance to win on his second deal for sure. And the back end of his rookie deal. If he's a player, we have a window.

Bretsky
04-25-2021, 03:57 PM

Truth be told I would not argue with this plan. In my reality that's what made the Love pick so bad. Or maybe not bad....just a year to probably two too early.

If this is Gutebag's plan, get off the shitter and do it now.

Develop his bride the Love Machine and win one while he's on his rookie deal. I'd embrace that; it's not the route I would have went with but I can respect and embrace it

But I don't think that is Goote's plan. I'm not sure he has one..........OR....maybe what was his plan is in the toilet because he underestimated what Rodgers can still b

Bretsky
04-25-2021, 04:00 PM
In October 2008, Rosgers signed a 6 year 66M deal. His contract was ridiculous for those first 5 years of him starting. Love won't get Mahommes money after one year. We’ll.have a chance to win on his second deal for sure. And the back end of his rookie deal. If he's a player, we have a window.

Doubtful Love will ever get Mahomey's money. There is always a window; sometimes it's wide open and sometimes it's nearly shut.

RashanGary
04-25-2021, 05:15 PM
Doubtful Love will ever get Mahomey's money. There is always a window; sometimes it's wide open and sometimes it's nearly shut.

If Rodgers plays out his.deal till 40, Loves second contract will still.be a window for us is.what I'm saying.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2021, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't bet that Love would even be in the league as long as Rodgers is still in the league. Even if Love is not a piece of shit - a shaky assumption, his highest possible upside would not be nearly enough to elevate the Rodgersless Packers above mediocrity - not even if they got some high draft picks in a trade for Rodgers. It's Rodgers for the next 5 or 7 or 10 years or a dive into the cellar for the Packers.

run pMc
04-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Wow. That's a lot of certainty and hostility for a member of the team you root for, and one that hasn't played so much as a preseason snap yet.
Personally, I hope Rodgers stays healthy, and Love plays decent enough in preseason to net a good trade offer from another team.

Fritz
04-26-2021, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't bet that Love would even be in the league as long as Rodgers is still in the league. Even if Love is not a piece of shit - a shaky assumption, his highest possible upside would not be nearly enough to elevate the Rodgersless Packers above mediocrity - not even if they got some high draft picks in a trade for Rodgers. It's Rodgers for the next 5 or 7 or 10 years or a dive into the cellar for the Packers.

Rodgers is 37. That "10 years" would put him at 47 years old, three years older than Steve DeBerg, who is the oldest person to start an NFL game at QB (he was 44 in 1998). 47 years old would put Rodgers in George Blanda range.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2021, 12:19 PM
Brady is breaking new ground, and I don't see Rodgers retiring at a younger age than Brady - and playing at a high level for pretty much all of that time.

What? I didn't show a lot of love for Love? I said "NOT a piece of shit" - saying that's a shaky assumption means I think it is maybe 70% chance he won't turn out to be a piece of shit. But no matter how good he turns out, I don't see one chance in a hundred that he will be Aaron Rodgers quality, and with what the Packers have and will have otherwise, they simply are not gonna be very good without Rodgers.

Fritz
04-26-2021, 12:35 PM
Brady is breaking new ground, and I don't see Rodgers retiring at a younger age than Brady - and playing at a high level for pretty much all of that time.

What? I didn't show a lot of love for Love? I said "NOT a piece of shit" - saying that's a shaky assumption means I think it is maybe 70% chance he won't turn out to be a piece of shit. But no matter how good he turns out, I don't see one chance in a hundred that he will be Aaron Rodgers quality, and with what the Packers have and will have otherwise, they simply are not gonna be very good without Rodgers.

I've been doing a little research, and it turns out that Aaron Rodgers is already far older than we thought he was. Turns out he's not 37; he's actually 77.

Here's a picture of him taken in 19-and-65:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RpS8R6MAFKhUjp7-u83Mh5sJZ04pw8BMapdUZR9iJruHUUcbb_LdvE-tKp6OWge4FpPc2BCqAiixMYk2VinC9lpPoDefWWq-d8jwPjBaC5z20UzwQ45A9FeC2ArzsTr2A9hcyfgUeErGawJ1Si WCAUOrcNUFewMFab6ntmwdCYCTrPYDk9H-S2YX3KC7jgRUQZJUM1rP4gUEUv1mmrReMumwxO7T4hOYgw

run pMc
04-26-2021, 06:10 PM
Rodgers is 37. That "10 years" would put him at 47 years old, three years older than Steve DeBerg, who is the oldest person to start an NFL game at QB (he was 44 in 1998). 47 years old would put Rodgers in George Blanda range.

LOL Rodgers is not going to be QBing at 47. I'm pretty sure he'll want to do other things in life. Also, even in an era of QB friendly rules, 40 year old QBs aren't unheard of, but they don't last.
What have Brady's injuries been other than an ACL? Rodgers has had a couple concussions, a broken foot, and two broken collarbones.

RashanGary
04-26-2021, 08:12 PM
Gutey said something in his presser that I’ve been saying a bit lately.... he said his guys have been together a while and that helps them. For a while, our personnel dept was being picked apart and new guys were in new roles. They finally have some stability. They really have no excuse to not have an edge on most of the ever changing league. They’re given full reign of personnel and they have continuity with their staff. They should out perform the league if they’re truly good at what they do.

He also said that they have enough draftable players in this shallow class to get through 7 rounds, but the undrafted pool might not be as deep.

He also said last years class were great workers and teammates and that bodes well for their futures in a league where work and team fit play such a big role. He expects them to get better.

And Bakh is doing really well and they’ll protect him from himself as far as maybe making him wait just a little bit before he gets on the field. But he’s a unique grinder and beating the odds is something in Bakhs character.

RashanGary
04-26-2021, 08:14 PM
3 days to go. Woot!

Bretsky
04-26-2021, 08:21 PM
Gutey said something in his presser that I’ve been saying a bit lately.... he said his guys have been together a while and that helps them. For a while, our personnel dept was being picked apart and new guys were in new roles. They finally have some stability. They really have no excuse to not have an edge on most of the ever changing league. They’re given full reign of personnel and they have continuity with their staff. They should out perform the league if they’re truly good at what they do.

He also said that they have enough draftable players in this shallow class to get through 7 rounds, but the undrafted pool might not be as deep.

He also said last years class were great workers and teammates and that bodes well for their futures in a league where work and team fit play such a big role. He expects them to get better.

And Bakh is doing really well and they’ll protect him from himself as far as maybe making him wait just a little bit before he gets on the field. But he’s a unique grinder and beating the odds is something in Bakhs character.

Gutebag is not much better than TT in these interviews. He danced around the Rodgers questions about as well as I dance on the floor, which is not good at all. I listed to some interviews on this today from the GB press guys. He's a dodger.....and I guess that's ok.

It's very clear to the guys covering the GB Packers that Gutebag and Rodgers do not remotely see eye to eye. There was a reason the Rams called inquiring about Rodgers . Word out out for anybody who doesn't want to put the blinders on.

I think the clock is ticking, and while I hope I'm wrong I don't think this is going to end well

Bretsky
04-26-2021, 08:22 PM
I'll say this too; these GB reporters are reaching out to Rodgers as well, and hes not talking, other than dropping a crumb here and there in his interviews

RashanGary
04-26-2021, 09:16 PM
Rodgers is annoyed with the Love pick. He gives everything and plays great.

The Packers know Rodgers is almost 40 and plan for their whole existence not just Rodgers career

There’s no ill will but I understand 12 feeling how he feels.

Me, as a fan, I hope 10 is a HOFer and we move on the same way we did from Favre. But I’ll always appreciate the way the two guys played before him. I wouldn’t be mad if Rodgers went somewhere and won a title as long as Love gets one some day too. But they don’t have to make that decision now and that’s what annoys Rodgers. The team can sit and wait to see what Love is up to before they make a call and Rodgers is annoyed because he gives them 100 only to get a maybe back.

RashanGary
04-26-2021, 09:23 PM
The Packers drafted Love at the absolute WORST time for Rodgers. They can wait 3-4 year's before they have to make a call and Rodgers gets extreme contract insecurity in the last contract window of his career. Just absolute worst career timing possible from Rodgers perspective.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2021, 10:37 PM
All true. It was bonehead stupid to draft Love - even if Love is decent, which is far from a sure thing.

I would neither bet on Rodgers playing to age 47 nor bet against it. I would bet on his playing effectively, make that great, until he's 43, 44, maybe 45.

I say again, the Packers are going down down down when they lose Rodgers. Myself, I'd prefer to make that 5, 6, 7, 8, maybe 9 or 10 years from now. I can certainly understand if Rodgers is pissed off, although I'm not convinced that is not just fake news generated by the God damned media. Either way, I'm not invested in what Rodgers feels, thinks, whatever, only in the Packers winning. If Rodgers is gone, he becomes part of the enemy - well, opposition anyway - no "good luck", "best wishes" whatever.

sharpe1027
04-27-2021, 06:54 AM
The fan theories around drafting of Love are overblown. Much like the Rodgers pick, they most likely saw great value and had him highly rated. They know as well as anyone QBs bust as much as they hit even at the top of the first round. Why would they be stupid enough to assume Love is they next HoF QB by planning to jettison Rodgers before necessary?

Hint, they aren't that stupid,and that's not what they're doing.

bobblehead
04-27-2021, 09:10 AM
Gutebag is not much better than TT in these interviews. He danced around the Rodgers questions about as well as I dance on the floor, which is not good at all. I listed to some interviews on this today from the GB press guys. He's a dodger.....and I guess that's ok.

It's very clear to the guys covering the GB Packers that Gutebag and Rodgers do not remotely see eye to eye. There was a reason the Rams called inquiring about Rodgers . Word out out for anybody who doesn't want to put the blinders on.

I think the clock is ticking, and while I hope I'm wrong I don't think this is going to end well
Duh, one is on a very limited time frame of less than 5 years left in his career and the other thinks about this team 5-10, even 15 years down the line.

That said however, the media isn't helping issues. I find myself getting very angry at Rodgers selfishness in all this, but then I remember, he hasn't actually publicly done anything too bad. I mean about the worst thing he did was the line about 2 fingers of tequila and that was in response to a question, not something he just up and spurted out.

Bottom line. Rodgers has come up short in 6? I think it is NFCC games. That is a pattern. Its not a pattern of the team failing him everytime. He has played well enough, but I could pick apart his decisions in the biggest moments if I were inclined to rehash things I have written many times. And Gutes hasn't had a stellar draft record so far, but his first draft is just now entering its 4th year, so there is only so much to go off of.

In all I'm a fan of the Gutes approach in general, but I haven't been a fan of his choices within that approach. However, its hard to argue with back to back NFCC games and he nailed the head coaching hire. If he hit on "his quarterback" he has set us up for another decade of great football teams.

bobblehead
04-27-2021, 09:12 AM
Rodgers is annoyed with the Love pick. He gives everything and plays great.

The Packers know Rodgers is almost 40 and plan for their whole existence not just Rodgers career

There’s no ill will but I understand 12 feeling how he feels.

Me, as a fan, I hope 10 is a HOFer and we move on the same way we did from Favre. But I’ll always appreciate the way the two guys played before him. I wouldn’t be mad if Rodgers went somewhere and won a title as long as Love gets one some day too. But they don’t have to make that decision now and that’s what annoys Rodgers. The team can sit and wait to see what Love is up to before they make a call and Rodgers is annoyed because he gives them 100 only to get a maybe back.

Wish he had given it 100% on 2nd and 3rd from the 9 with open grass in front of him.

bobblehead
04-27-2021, 09:13 AM
All true. It was bonehead stupid to draft Love - even if Love is decent, which is far from a sure thing.

I would neither bet on Rodgers playing to age 47 nor bet against it. I would bet on his playing effectively, make that great, until he's 43, 44, maybe 45.

I say again, the Packers are going down down down when they lose Rodgers. Myself, I'd prefer to make that 5, 6, 7, 8, maybe 9 or 10 years from now. I can certainly understand if Rodgers is pissed off, although I'm not convinced that is not just fake news generated by the God damned media. Either way, I'm not invested in what Rodgers feels, thinks, whatever, only in the Packers winning. If Rodgers is gone, he becomes part of the enemy - well, opposition anyway - no "good luck", "best wishes" whatever.

Tex, I know you were around to see the egg on the face of every 70,286 posts that read exactly like this but insert rodgers for Love and Favre for Rodgers.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2021, 09:49 AM
Mine wasn't one of them, although if I'd been posting then, it might have been. Basically, Favre, as great as he was, was not Rodgers-great - nobody in football history ever was. And when Rodgers was drafted, the Packers seemingly at the time, and history proves, got an incredible bargain. He was a toss up with Alex Smith for #1 overall who fell mainly just because teams didn't need a QB. I honestly don't remember, but I don't think the Packers were particularly needy at any position group then either, as arguably they were when they drafted Love.

It would be absolutely sickening to see Rodgers go in 2 or 3 or 4 years to either a team with Bears or Lions level talent and bring them up to near the top or to see him go to a seem with a better supporting cast than the Packers and do what Brady did several times over. And mark my words, that's what would happen while the Packers languished in the lower half of the league with Love and even with the talent of the rest of the team better than it is now.

Did Gutekunst "hit" with the choice of LaFleur? I have a high opinion of LaFleur, and he undoubtedly is a great upgrade from McCarthy, but IMO, his extreme success is a product of having the good sense to ride Rodgers and not force his way, just make a few subtle modifications.

RashanGary
04-27-2021, 01:10 PM
McGinns scouts they they’ve never seen so many off ball linebackers in the top 75. They said there were good starters to be found in the 4th round.

I’m also not the only guy who really likes Pere Werner.

In the third, a high upside guy like Chazz Surratt would make sense. Or a rock solid guy like Jabril Cox.

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2021, 02:26 PM
Boy, if Rashawn Slater is there at 20, I would try to trade-up to get him. 69 coming off injury, extremely expensive, etc. Best case, this dude is a long term starter at RT. He could also be a top notch guard. If Bak doesnt recover right, this guy could play LT too I think.

Joemailman
04-27-2021, 04:33 PM
The more I read up on this draft, the more I realize I have no freaking clue what's going to happen Thursday night. Projections on guys like Newsome, Jenkins and JOK are all over the place. Gute will have a really tough job trying to figure out whether he needs to trade up to get a certain guy (which he's done in every draft), or whether that player will fall to him.

RashanGary
04-27-2021, 05:09 PM
The more I read up on this draft, the more I realize I have no freaking clue what's going to happen Thursday night. Projections on guys like Newsome, Jenkins and JOK are all over the place. Gute will have a really tough job trying to figure out whether he needs to trade up to get a certain guy (which he's done in every draft), or whether that player will fall to him.

They’re all impossible to pick. The first 20 are usually somewhat accurate. After that, completely off the media script.

Bretsky
04-27-2021, 08:56 PM
The fan theories around drafting of Love are overblown. Much like the Rodgers pick, they most likely saw great value and had him highly rated. They know as well as anyone QBs bust as much as they hit even at the top of the first round. Why would they be stupid enough to assume Love is they next HoF QB by planning to jettison Rodgers before necessary?

Hint, they aren't that stupid,and that's not what they're doing.

It sounds like we overvalued Jordan Love; he's a project with upside. He was a reach to give up a 1st and 4th for him. On ESPN they were polling a couple scouts on where Jordan Love would compare to this years QB's.

Both scouts agreed this year he'd be behind Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance. One scout rated him as the 5th best this year and the other rated him behind Mac frickin Jones.

So last year he was the 5th best QB by most ratings and this year he would have been 5th/maybe 6th.

Bretsky
04-27-2021, 08:58 PM

Most likely Gute has a prematuredraftjacuation and loses patience, and trades up and gets a guy he craves...and hopefully doesn't reach for

Bretsky
04-27-2021, 08:59 PM
McGinns scouts they they’ve never seen so many off ball linebackers in the top 75. They said there were good starters to be found in the 4th round.

I’m also not the only guy who really likes Pere Werner.

In the third, a high upside guy like Chazz Surratt would make sense. Or a rock solid guy like Jabril Cox.

Werner is fine, but I'm not seeing him in round 1. Are you ?

sharpe1027
04-27-2021, 09:13 PM
It sounds like we overvalued Jordan Love; he's a project with upside. He was a reach to give up a 1st and 4th for him. On ESPN they were polling a couple scouts on where Jordan Love would compare to this years QB's.

Both scouts agreed this year he'd be behind Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance. One scout rated him as the 5th best this year and the other rated him behind Mac frickin Jones.

So last year he was the 5th best QB by most ratings and this year he would have been 5th/maybe 6th.
Maybe, but my point is people are reading way too much into the pick.

Joemailman
04-27-2021, 09:34 PM

Even if Love was the #6 QB in the 2021 draft, he'd likely be a top 20 pick, if not higher. That's why Gute made the move up to draft Love. He saw the opportunity to draft a caliber of QB that winning teams like the Packers seldom have a shot at.

Bretsky
04-27-2021, 09:49 PM
Even if Love was the #6 QB in the 2021 draft, he'd likely be a top 20 pick, if not higher. That's why Gute made the move up to draft Love. He saw the opportunity to draft a caliber of QB that winning teams like the Packers seldom have a shot at.

HUGE dropoff after the top 5. The 6th may not get drafted for a long time after. I'm not saying he would not get picked in round 1 or 2. But I don't think ti's any lock he's top 20

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2021, 10:07 PM

Dumb, and not even close. The four guys this year will go in the top 10. Maybe all 5 guys. We got Love late in the 1st round. Love went around where he was projected to go. I looked at my draft spreadsheet last year, and almost every big board that I have documented had Love as a 1st round pick. Only one had him as a 2nd round pick. The reason we drafted him was because of the value. The reason we traded up was because Gute had intel that another team liked him.

C'mon man. Quit beating this dead friggin' horse. You're better than this.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2021, 10:08 PM
Just dumb

RashanGary
04-27-2021, 10:14 PM
Werner is fine, but I'm not seeing him in round 1. Are you ?

A scout said he was hoping he was a secret but he’s not

Bretsky
04-27-2021, 10:25 PM
I read that today; McGinn is pretty amazing

Fritz
04-28-2021, 12:15 PM
McGinn is amazing at generating readership with provocative, seemingly inside commentary.

Upnorth
04-28-2021, 12:42 PM
Dumb, and not even close. The four guys this year will go in the top 10. Maybe all 5 guys. We got Love late in the 1st round. Love went around where he was projected to go. I looked at my draft spreadsheet last year, and almost every big board that I have documented had Love as a 1st round pick. Only one had him as a 2nd round pick. The reason we drafted him was because of the value. The reason we traded up was because Gute had intel that another team liked him.

This is bang on. And let's face UT no one saw rodgers getting MVP. We hoped he would rebound but that was an unreal jump. Injured older qbs don't tend to jump like that.

run pMc
04-29-2021, 07:14 AM
I fully expect to be baffled and at least mildly angry when Gute picks some boom-or-bust athlete at a position of where we have adequate depth. (I'm afraid to name names and jinx things.)

run pMc
04-29-2021, 07:17 AM

Agree. I think if he were in the draft this year he'd still be a late R1/early R2. It wouldn't change where in the draft he'd be expected to go, but it might change how many QBs go before/after him. That's the variability of each draft class.

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 08:53 AM
If Jordan Love were in the 2021 draft, I think there's a very good chance he'd be the Bears pick.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 09:00 AM
If Jordan Love were in the 2021 draft, I think there's a very good chance he'd be the Bears pick.

Chicago or Washington

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 01:04 PM
If the Niners were really good trade for Rodgers, why would they move up to 3? Packers would probably prefer the Niners previous set-up.

Why isn't Texas moving on from Deshaun and starting fresh? He don't want to rebuild, and they won't rebuild effectively with such a good QB keeping that average.

Fritz
04-29-2021, 01:07 PM

Wow. That is one clever and deadly insult.

By the way, I read again this morning that one of the writers at Acme thinks, as we've seen before, that the Packers were trading up to get that wide receiver, Ayuik, I think his name was. Then the Niners sniffed it out and traded ahead of the Pack. So Love was the highest ranked player left.

If that's what really did happen, I hope they explained that to Rodgers.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 01:30 PM
By the way, I read again this morning that one of the writers at Acme thinks, as we've seen before, that the Packers were trading up to get that wide receiver, Ayuik, I think his name was. Then the Niners sniffed it out and traded ahead of the Pack. So Love was the highest ranked player left.

I don't buy that. I can't see a team moving up for a specific player until they know the player is available.

Fritz
04-29-2021, 01:40 PM
I don't buy that. I can't see a team moving up for a specific player until they know the player is available.

I suppose that's true given the Packers probably knew that the Niners would be looking for the same type of players that the Pack was, given the similarities between the coaches' philosophies. But it's possible Gutekunst had intel that the Niners would not or could not make a deal to move up - that they wouldn't try or that they couldn't get a deal done. But then Minny decided to screw over a division rival....

red
04-29-2021, 06:35 PM
COME ON, JUST START THE FUCKING THING ALREADY

we don't need people singing shit

are we doing it in this thread, or is someone starting a new thread?

wow, they got the mic turned up way too loud on the girl that can't sing

is this a special needs choir?

Rastak
04-29-2021, 06:36 PM
No shit, we say the same thing every year Red. It said 6pm CT for a start - make the fucking picks already you greedy motherfuckers.

red
04-29-2021, 06:37 PM
No shit, we say the same thing every year Red. It said 6pm CT for a start - make the fucking picks already you greedy motherfuckers.

yup, #1 pick shouldn't even get to be on the clock. make the pick right when the show starts

and yes, absolutely start it an hour early. its a work night, it sucks having to stay up past midnight

red
04-29-2021, 06:38 PM
well heres someone that knows how to fucking sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70 year old ann wilson, singing just like she did when she was 30

King Friday
04-29-2021, 06:40 PM
My ears hurt.

Rastak
04-29-2021, 06:42 PM
My ears hurt.

I had the sound off.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 06:42 PM
Is this the official draft thread or someone gonna start a day one thread like we sometimes do?

red
04-29-2021, 06:43 PM
Is this the official draft thread or someone gonna start a day one thread like we sometimes do?

start a new one if you want, i asked the same thing

might be nice to have the first pick NOT happen on page 29 or 30

Rastak
04-29-2021, 06:46 PM
I threw one up for old times sake. I used to last all 7 rounds.