PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs Bucs

Joemailman
01-24-2021, 05:27 PM
https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000553819743-pduzic-t500x500.jpg

When Packers turned ball over, Bucs made them pay. When Bucs turned the ball over, Packers not so much.

Bottom line though, Packers failed to do the things that got them here. Protect Rodgers, protect the ball, avoid giving up big plays on defense.

Bossman641
01-24-2021, 05:35 PM
Adams "drop" in end zone..I put that one on rodgers

Missed hold on lazard
King doing I don't know what on the long td
Missed hold on Lazard
Rodgers missed scramble on third down
Hold on king

A lot to digest

QBME
Yup, but...

When at home you go for the tie. But we kick a field goal?

Mike Pettine has got to go, but... we only get 6 points off of 3 Tampa turnovers?

Well shit. At least the earth is tilting and we’re headed back closer to the sun.

mmmdk
This was a bad way to lose. So many mistakes and Packers were not cool at any point during the game. Bucs were cool headed even with those ints.

Sparkey
01-24-2021, 05:36 PM
Rodgers had three opportunities after the D came up with turnovers. The great arm of Butte didn't get It done, held the ball way too much. Quick tempo offense that was so successful shows up early 3rd quarter, then they abandoned it. They looked panicked at times.

Bossman641
01-24-2021, 05:41 PM
Can't help but think how much losing Jones hurt

Anti-Polar Bear
01-24-2021, 05:45 PM
Providence hates me. She made me a poor wretch. Y’all have a hot wife and a six figures job to drown away y’all sorrows in times like these. All I have is burgers and a broken body.

I’ve just signed up for the Apple TV and even the fucking fuck-less Disney+ to go along with Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime. If anyone needs me, I’ll be losing my mind in the streaming pictures.

Mayhem
01-24-2021, 05:55 PM
On one play after one of Brady's int Rodgers went back to pass one of Tampa's players hit his arm and ball fell short. my question is why are you it deep? Throw it short!

Bretsky
01-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Can't help but think how much losing Jones hurt

A TON

Joemailman
01-24-2021, 06:11 PM
If this is Jones' last game with Pack, tough way to go out. 27 yards rushing and 2 fumbles.

Bretsky
01-24-2021, 06:13 PM
how many carries did he have ? We were lucky Tonyan got his first fumble

Joemailman
01-24-2021, 06:17 PM
MLF said defensive call at end of half "definitely not right call for that situation".

RashanGary
01-24-2021, 06:18 PM
Tonyan, Lazard, Davante and MVS who's finally putting it all together are gonna be a nice start to the offense next year. Plus Dillon carrying the rock if he works hard this offseason... 12 could have 48 and 5 if things go decent again.

Jaire
01-24-2021, 06:20 PM
MLF said defensive call at end of half "definitely not right call for that situation".

Should have been fired last year. Gute and Murphy's BIGGEST mistake.

Bretsky
01-24-2021, 06:22 PM
Tonyan, Lazard, Davante and MVS who's finally putting it all together are gonna be a nice start to the offense next year. Plus Dillon carrying the rock if he works hard this offseason... 12 could have 48 and 5 if things go decent again.

Agree; it is a "nice start".

George Cumby
01-24-2021, 06:24 PM
What bugs me most is if they played their best, they win.

Bretsky
01-24-2021, 06:30 PM

They might have won if they just played a zone at the end of first half

Collectively they just made too many mistakes.

Tampa Bay played like crap the second half; it was there for us to take and we couldn't do it

George Cumby
01-24-2021, 06:48 PM
^ Yup.

Joemailman
01-24-2021, 06:55 PM
Packers #2 and #3 WR's combined for 177 yards receiving. I would argue Packers #2 and #3 CB's are the bigger reason they lost.

King Friday
01-24-2021, 06:59 PM
Should have been fired last year. Gute and Murphy's BIGGEST mistake.

Tough to say due to the Covid situation. Is the defense better when you have no real off-season to install a new defense? It is possible making a change last year would've been a step back this year under the circumstances. Lots of teams with coaching turnover regressed heavily in 2020.

Fosco33
01-24-2021, 07:02 PM
how many carries did he have ? We were lucky Tonyan got his first fumble

That was a missed hit to helmet.

I won’t blame the refs at all - but were they told to not throw flags.

The block in back on Gronks was egregious. And then why throw the flag at the end.

This one stings.

Fosco33
01-24-2021, 07:03 PM
Who was worse - Sullivan or King?

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2021, 07:05 PM
King, easily

Jaire
01-24-2021, 07:06 PM

More evidence Pettine is GOOOOONNNNE!!! MLF wanted to fire him last year. That's on Gutie or Mark. THAT was the worst decision of the year. Not the WR debacle.

Jaire
01-24-2021, 07:10 PM
Tough to say due to the Covid situation. Is the defense better when you have no real off-season to install a new defense? It is possible making a change last year would've been a step back this year under the circumstances. Lots of teams with coaching turnover regressed heavily in 2020.

That's a good point.

........but NOW it will take another year. But a good DC will have it turbed around for playoffs next year. This squad has talent, which we saw tonight despite Pettine putting them in a bad position to win.

GB-Brandon
01-24-2021, 07:15 PM
Packers #2 and #3 WR's combined for 177 yards receiving. I would argue Packers #2 and #3 CB's are the bigger reason they lost.

But “When It Counted” they couldn’t get it done!!!

GB-Brandon
01-24-2021, 07:17 PM
More evidence Pettine is GOOOOONNNNE!!! MLF wanted to fire him last year. That's on Gutie or Mark. THAT was the worst decision of the year. Not the WR debacle.

I would argue they were of equal value of poison in this game. Pettine gave up the points. The right personnel in the receiver room would of been able to overcome that!!!

hoosier
01-24-2021, 07:21 PM

Yes. And what's worse is, they seem to bring their B or C game every time at this point in the season. Four out of seven years they've made it to the CCG, and each time they poop the bed instead of doing what got them there. 2016 they were outclassed, but 2014 and this year they did not lose to the better team. And who is the common denominator for those four fails?

red
01-24-2021, 07:22 PM
Can someone tell me who played RT tonight. He had a rough game

Turner wasn't much better on the left

Bretsky
01-24-2021, 07:24 PM
Ricky Wagner I think, and he sucked

red
01-24-2021, 07:31 PM
Ricky Wagner I think, and he sucked

Yeah, that was him. #71

Thanks b

Fosco33
01-24-2021, 07:35 PM
While we all would’ve preferred to play in the SB. Do we really think we wouldve beat the chiefs?

GB-Brandon
01-24-2021, 07:36 PM
Yes. And what's worse is, they seem to bring their B or C game every time at this point in the season. Four out of seven years they've made it to the CCG, and each time they poop the bed instead of doing what got them there. 2016 they were outclassed, but 2014 and this year they did not lose to the better team. And who is the common denominator for those four fails?

Green Bay wasn’t the better team and all their flaws got exposed today just like their flaws got exposed last year against the Niners.

From coaching to personnel we couldn’t get it done when we had too.

George Cumby
01-24-2021, 07:37 PM
While we all would’ve preferred to play in the SB. Do we really think we wouldve beat the chiefs?

Not the way the Chiefs are playing today.

Bretsky
Yeah, that was him. #71

Thanks b

We paid his six mil/year, which is cheap for an OT

He was the cheap option for Bulaga

GB-Brandon

Maybe with a “Perfect Game” but we just don’t have the firepower and nobody wants to admit it. I hope Gute finally has and does some serious shit cause it’s our only hope!!!

th87
01-24-2021, 07:40 PM
Another wasted season. Everything lined up.

Next year we lose players and may not get lucky on injuries 3 years in a row.

GB-Brandon
01-24-2021, 07:46 PM
Another wasted season. Everything lined up.

Next year we lose players and may not get lucky on injuries 3 years in a row.

In a sense it was a wasted season when Gute didn’t make a full commitment to the roster and they allowed incompetence on the coaching staff. Even MVP QB PLAY couldn’t overcome it.

So yes it was a MASSIVE WASTE and for years down the road Packer fans will look back when the misery of losing season after losing season comes it will probably hurt that much more.

These have certainly been taken for granite!!!

GB-Brandon
01-24-2021, 07:53 PM
Mr “All Gas & No Break”

Turned into

Mr “Clam up & Hide”

red
01-24-2021, 08:02 PM
The mystique of lambeau in the cold is gone forever, we haven't been a cold weather team in a long time

As much as I hate to say it, it might be time to put some kind of roof on the place, or make sure we don't play any playoff games at home

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2021, 08:41 PM
A TON

Really though? He nearly had two key turnovers. I didn’t realize he was hurt, I thought he was benched.

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2021, 11:45 PM
There are plenty of regrets in this game (King, officiating, Davante drop, a bad throw here and there, kicking the FG at the end), but an underrated storyline to the loss is completely abandoning the run in the 4th quarter. We did have some success in the game (over 4 yards/carry--which was better than TB). I don't understand why we didn't pound Dillon more after Jones went out.

Jaire
01-25-2021, 02:24 AM
Games are won in the trenches. That's what I said it would come down to. And it did. They rattled AR and MLF and took them off their game. This was a BAD match up.

Down a score in the 4th Qtr and with two TOs, they called just one run play. MLF did not hanldle that well at all. His worst quarter this year. They needed to slow the pass rush AND get some traction. The first half was on Pettine. The second half was on MLF.

All said and done, the Bucs were the only team to manhandle this line all year. And they were down two starting safeties.

The most glaring problem this as last year was coaching. Pettine needs to go. You rarely win the SB without great coaching. They don't have an all star team. They should have replaced him last year. Great coaches simply do not have the complete debacles we saw the last two championship games.

Biggest need last and this year was OT. They've needed to get Bulaga's replacement last year. And I had hoped they got Bakh's replacement too. I was worried he would have a knee injury. And he did. He's not the body type to be able to go long in his 30s. Very few do. They can win in regular season. They can't beat tough Dlines. That's where championships are won. The Bucs handled our pressure. Pettine couldn't dial anything up. So basically they handled our pressure. We couldn't handle theirs. That was game.

Packers have a real mess now imo. But the best and quickest fix is a better DC. That squad can do better. The talent and investment is on that side of the ball. Gotta do better there. And draft OT, OT (it's a very deep draft).

th87
01-25-2021, 03:17 AM
Games are won in the trenches. That's what I said it would come down to. And it did. They rattled AR and MLF and took them off their game. This was a BAD match up.

Down a score in the 4th Qtr and with two TOs, they called just one run play. MLF did not hanldle that well at all. His worst quarter this year. They needed to slow the pass rush AND get some traction. The first half was on Pettine. The second half was on MLF.

All said and done, the Bucs were the only team to manhandle this line all year. And they were down two starting safeties.

The most glaring problem this as last year was coaching. Pettine needs to go. You rarely win the SB without great coaching. They don't have an all star team. They should have replaced him last year. Great coaches simply do not have the complete debacles we saw the last two championship games.

Biggest need last and this year was OT. They've needed to get Bulaga's replacement last year. And I had hoped they got Bakh's replacement too. I was worried he would have a knee injury. And he did. He's not the body type to be able to go long in his 30s. Very few do. They can win in regular season. They can't beat tough Dlines. That's where championships are won. The Bucs handled our pressure. Pettine couldn't dial anything up. So basically they handled our pressure. We couldn't handle theirs. That was game.

Packers have a real mess now imo. But the best and quickest fix is a better DC. That squad can do better. The talent and investment is on that side of the ball. Gotta do better there. And draft OT, OT (it's a very deep draft).

Agreed. Ironically, the Packers were able to come back from their big deficit because the TB scores happened so fast. Their defense never got a chance to rest when they were summoned back out because of quick TDs, return TDs, and the turnovers.

This was a prime opportunity to land body blows with Dillon and methodically go down the field. It would've paid off handsomely later in the game too. Instead we reverted to old hero ball.

As much as we all love Rodgers, there is something off about his situational awareness. He'll often do a good job of cutting into a deficit, but when it comes time to take the lead, he often presses and can't get it done.

The defense kind of sucked in both halves. We were very fortunate that passes were clanging off of the Bucs' hands, and that Brady threw some really errant ones.

Pettine 1000% should've been gone last winter after the Raheem Mostert debacle. You can't allow something like that and still be employed. Organizational mismanagement of the highest order, and by keeping him around, we essentially wasted another Rodgers year. It's borderline criminal to not mitigate every weakness this team has while Rodgers is here, and to go into another year with this festering mess was disastrous.

Jaire
01-25-2021, 03:53 AM
Agreed except maybe on Rodger's performance.

That was the worst line performance (pass pro) this year. MLF has to take control and run the ball. They had success running. MLF admitted he messed up.

But the real screw up was Pettine whom MLF wanted out. Can't waste a year praying he will figure it out. He's not a rook. If Boles were our DC, we win.

th87
01-25-2021, 04:50 AM
Agreed except maybe on Rodger's performance.

That was the worst line performance (pass pro) this year. MLF has to take control and run the ball. They had success running. MLF admitted he messed up.

But the real screw up was Pettine whom MLF wanted out. Can't waste a year praying he will figure it out. He's not a rook. If Boles were our DC, we win.

Yes, MLF definitely wanted him out last year. Someone asked how do we know - well, his press conference was very pointed and seemed to hint at firing him. Then all of a sudden he reversed course inexplicably.

With the weird reporting structure, it's easy to see Murphy overruled Lafleur, especially because retaining Pettine was a condition when Lafleur was first hired.

He probably can't stand Pettine. Shanahan must tell Matt, Robert, and Mike all about how he's been riding Rex Ryan's coattails (who rode Ray Lewis' and Ngata's coattails), and what dumb ideas he had when they were back in Cleveland.

beveaux1
01-25-2021, 12:18 PM
Thought provoking article. Not necessarily what we want to hear.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/after-falling-short-of-the-super-bowl-again-its-time-for-aaron-rodgers-to-pursue-the-allin-season-tom-brady-just-got-032717981.html

Joemailman
01-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap ��
@KenIngalls
The potential timeline for the Packers to move on from Aaron Rodgers has not changed - at all - since they drafted Jordan Love.

It was always:
2021 - Very unlikely, but possible
2022 - Probably

Rodgers' MVP season doesn't change this and his comment last night adds nothing new.

This is probably right.

Upnorth
01-25-2021, 04:36 PM
I just don't understand why we didn't use dillion. He got yards. He made catches. He is huge and we were in the red zone twice with 6 pass incompletions. I don't get it.

Joemailman
01-25-2021, 04:37 PM
Brandon Bostick
@Bostick11
They Still Gonna Blame Me...
5:25 PM · Jan 24, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

It never occurred to me before - Could GB-Brandon be Bostick?

Joemailman
01-25-2021, 04:38 PM
I just don't understand why we didn't use dillion. He got yards. He made catches. He is huge and we were in the red zone twice with 6 pass incompletions. I don't get it.

What we don't know is if those were all MLF's calls? Or were some changes by Rodgers?

Sparkey
01-25-2021, 07:17 PM
What we don't know is if those were all MLF's calls? Or were some changes by Rodgers?
It sure looked like the offense from MM's days out there. I still don't understand the game plan. All year running misdirection with tight formations. Throw off play action and quick rythm throws.

What I saw yesterday looked like the old MM 4 and 5 wide sets. Hardly any motion and zero misdirection.

Since that was never a staple of the Shanahan/McVay offense, I tend to think it was what Rodgers wanted.

Honestly, as good as Rodgers is I question if he can get it done.....He has a history of being less than you'd expect in big games.

George Cumby
01-25-2021, 07:29 PM
^ I'm with you.

hoosier
01-25-2021, 07:41 PM
I think that in big games Rodgers has for some reason gotten into the habit of getting away from what has been working. That seems to be the case more now than a decade ago. Or maybe his physical skills have deteriorated enough to where he can't get away with like he used to. Assuming his contract were tradeable, I wonder what he would command on the market.

Bossman641
01-25-2021, 08:00 PM
I've never understood all year why they don't use Dillon in the red zone. This whole year was basically a waste for him.

GB-Brandon
01-25-2021, 08:07 PM
I've never understood all year why they don't use Dillon in the red zone. This whole year was basically a waste for him.

Cause the Mighty Bean Counters wanted to squeeze every little last bit of juice they could get out of Williams and Jones on their way out in the last year of them getting paid in a contract!!

Why did Graham play in front of Tonyan last year?

Checks and Balances!!

Hmmmmm!!!!!

GB-Brandon
01-25-2021, 08:09 PM
Don’t worry. Your gonna see tons of Dillion next year!!! They will get the mileage out of that pick come hell or high water next year!!

It’s gonna be the “AJ Dillon Show”

Upnorth
01-25-2021, 08:27 PM

I'm ok with him getting a lower use "recovery" year in. Lots of carries in college plus our rb room
Was loaded. But in a must win situation. .. Sigh.

Freak Out
01-26-2021, 01:41 PM
There are plenty of regrets in this game (King, officiating, Davante drop, a bad throw here and there, kicking the FG at the end), but an underrated storyline to the loss is completely abandoning the run in the 4th quarter. We did have some success in the game (over 4 yards/carry--which was better than TB). I don't understand why we didn't pound Dillon more after Jones went out.

That was supper frustrating. Wear down the defense and keep them honest with the pass rush which was making things very tough on Arod. JPP was looking like an allpro in his prime.

Jaire
01-26-2021, 10:17 PM

Looking back at the game. They couldn't run inside with Vea there. All there sacks were also with Vea in.

Vita Vea was MVP of the game. Lucky the Packers were even in it tbh, and came close to winning. The Bucs front 7 is just deadly.

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Looking back at the game. They couldn't run inside with Vea there. All there sacks were also with Vea in.

Vita Vea was MVP of the game. Lucky the Packers were even in it tbh, and came close to winning. The Bucs front 7 is just deadly.

Yeah, people downplayed “Vea” when I posted he would be returning. He is a “90.1” graded interior defender! Him with Suh and Gholston with their LB’s made it almost impossible to just line up and run the ball. Then when you consider us being behind on the scoreboard the only way we had a chance was to throw the ball and have our guys beat their “Press Coverage” and we couldn’t consistently enough.

This is the type of game where you needed a DK Metcalf/AjBrown type who could of ran through their little holds and press or a Tyreek Hill/Mercole Hardman type that are so fast and slippery that they wouldn’t of been able to get their hands on them!

That was difference on that side of the ball!

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 08:30 AM
This Tampa team is coming back and if The Packers are able to work things out with Rodgers they will certainly have to add the pieces to beat Tampa next year!!

That doesn’t mean drafting a Corner in the first round!!

Sparkey
01-28-2021, 07:41 PM
This Tampa team is coming back and if The Packers are able to work things out with Rodgers they will certainly have to add the pieces to beat Tampa next year!!

That doesn’t mean drafting a Corner in the first round!!

Except that if they had a better corner than King, they would have more than likely won the game.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 08:15 PM
Except that if they had a better corner than King, they would have more than likely won the game.

In this game if we’re being honest we can point too a lot of things. I’m not against corner help. King needs to go and from everything I gather Jackson isn’t the guy either. In fact if you have read some of my posts in other threads I am for bringing in an ascending at worst case stop gap type corner in Free Agency. I’ve even picked one out that I’ve been pretty impressed with. He would be an upgrade over King immediately and probably wouldn’t break the bank too much. He is right in that “age zone” you like to see. I don’t think if the plan is to move forward with Rodgers that we have time to develop a corner on the fly next year.

We’re in good position because we have the No.1 guy in Alexander so getting the other guy to hold down the boundary isn’t as expensive. It would be $ well spent! What Gute does we will see. I’m pretty certain King won’t be back. I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting some reserve help later in the draft or someone that can improve our position in the slot on day 2 but i think going ALL OUT on corner day 1 is a huge mistake.

I really think we would be better off getting a disrupter upfront on the defense in a very weak D-Line Draft assuming Gute does “Other Things.”

Upnorth
01-28-2021, 08:18 PM

And if they used dillion more. He was moving the ball consistently. Shortest run was 1 yrs. After that his shortest was 4 yards. No big gains but consistent churn over 6 carries. We feed him and we draw in their d then things open up. Stupid game plan.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 08:23 PM
I want a BIG BULLY that can push the pocket on Tom Brady’s Stupid Face!!!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 08:40 PM
This game was simple. A player short here and a bad coaching move there and it all added up to a Bad Loss!!!

RashanGary
01-29-2021, 12:35 PM
I really think we would be better off getting a disrupter upfront on the defense in a very weak D-Line Draft assuming Gute does “Other Things.”

Doesn’t having a weak DL draft mean it’s weak in the sense of not being a lot of good players. I understand the idea of take the one that’s there but I’m pretty sure a lot of people would like to take the one that’s there, making it a low probability occurrence than we get the one guy who’s available.

More likely, the deeper positions like ILB and WR will have a quality player available when we pick. You can only pick who you pick, not who everyone else picks so cherry picking one player and crossing ones fingers seems to be a good quick way to disappoint yourself.

GB-Brandon
01-29-2021, 04:10 PM
Doesn’t having a weak DL draft mean it’s weak in the sense of not being a lot of good players. I understand the idea of take the one that’s there but I’m pretty sure a lot of people would like to take the one that’s there, making it a low probability occurrence than we get the one guy who’s available.

More likely, the deeper positions like ILB and WR will have a quality player available when we pick. You can only pick who you pick, not who everyone else picks so cherry picking one player and crossing ones fingers seems to be a good quick way to disappoint yourself.

It’s weak in terms of depth. That’s doesn’t mean there are not some good ones. My point being waiting around until day 2 or day 3 probably won’t get the job done when trying to address such a NEED!!

Until this D-Line thing is fixed and upgraded I don’t care what “Fancy Corner” the Packers draft or decide to bring in!!

Upnorth
01-29-2021, 04:28 PM

What do the CB look like in this draft? Thats the beauty with drafting high quality corners, they are much less reliant on the talent around them. I admit mid range corners need help from the pass rush but we need someone who has to cover the #2 as jaire can be an island. It think that is way easier to draft at #30 that a rookie do that will improve the line this year at #30

MadtownPacker
01-30-2021, 11:55 AM
This game was simple. A player short here and a bad coaching move there and it all added up to a Bad Loss!!!How about Rodgers? I haven’t seen you get off his nuts at all to place some very deserved blame on him.

Upnorth
01-30-2021, 12:00 PM
How about Rodgers? I haven’t seen you get off his nuts at all to place some very deserved blame on him.

Rodgers played ok. A little bit below the MVP standard yes but def not a reason we lost. Couple accuracy issues and one bad non run.

That non run does piss me off though. He gets a minimum 5 yards there easy so its now 4th and 3 to go.

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Loved this exchange between a disgruntled fan and Mike Spofford in the Insiders Inbox column at Packers.com.

https://www.packers.com/news/inbox-it-was-one-of-the-most-enjoyable-human-aspects

Jesus from Mesa, AZ

Mike, you don't seem to understand. Of course the team balances short- and long-term goals, and must continue to do so. But going for it means overweighting the short-term goal at the expense of the long-term goal. Drafting a first-round QB and the backup to the backup RB with your first two drafts are not "going for it." Quit being a company-line apologist, think for yourself, and the maybe you'll get clued into what folks are saying.

I am clued into what folks are saying, I'm not apologizing for anyone, and I do think for myself. I don't agree with nor defend every decision made here, but I can understand and explain the rationale when asked. There's a difference. By and large, I think "going for it" is a fool's errand because if it doesn't pay off you end up with even fewer chances in a highly random and unpredictable game. That was my point. In the end, the Packers had everything they needed to get to the Super Bowl this year, having earned the No. 1 seed, lone bye, and home field. It came down to one contest, and they blew it. Why? Because the play caller and/or MVP QB abandoned the run at multiple pivotal moments, the All-Pro wide receiver dropped a TD pass, the Pro Bowl running back fumbled, the No. 2 corner who's been a solid cover man when healthy played the worst game of his career, the normally productive edge rushers couldn't get to the QB, the future HOF left tackle's absence caught up with them, the head coach made a questionable decision at crunch time, and the officials changed the tenor of their oversight with the game on the line. Anyone who can explain to me how the first two draft picks last April, or other front-office moves, were going to change any of that, I'll hang up and listen. You sent another note saying I need to join "reality" because my answers are "insulting to the collective intelligence" of the "go for it" folks like you. I implore you to get off your philosophical hobby horse and instead look at the facts and reasons for the loss in a game the Packers had to win even if they had gone 16-0. I've outlined them. The failures had nothing to do with the franchise's off-the-field approach to trying to win. That's the actual reality.

Upnorth
01-30-2021, 12:38 PM
Joe, that is a beautiful encapsulation of the game and what happened. Thank you for sharing it!

Plus that back up to the backup rb likely would have changed the games outcome if he was used.

If love isn't a bust the 2020 draft is going to go down as pivotal. If love is a bust then deguara needs to step up to still make it a good draft. Heck runyon and dillion alone make it a c+ to b- draft draft. Everything else is gravy

George Cumby
01-30-2021, 12:43 PM
Loved this exchange between a disgruntled fan and Mike Spofford in the Insiders Inbox column at Packers.com.

https://www.packers.com/news/inbox-it-was-one-of-the-most-enjoyable-human-aspects

So either Spofford reads Packerrats, one of you guys IS Spofford, or maybe, just maybe, the Packerrats HiveMind knows its business.

Bretsky
01-30-2021, 12:47 PM

While he's litertally right, he's still a wussbag apologist.

Would have Chase Claypool all season and in just that game have changed the game at all ? Tee Higgins is a pretty dam good route runner; perhaps he makes a play on 3rd and 8. Maybe note.

But he's a douchebag for not allowing that possibility into his thoughts.

All of these Rodgers comments, he's clearly taking soft shots at Gute. The Jordan Love pick just keeps looking worse to me. Just M.O. of course

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 05:44 PM
While he's litertally right, he's still a wussbag apologist.

Would have Chase Claypool all season and in just that game have changed the game at all ? Tee Higgins is a pretty dam good route runner; perhaps he makes a play on 3rd and 8. Maybe note.

But he's a douchebag for not allowing that possibility into his thoughts.

All of these Rodgers comments, he's clearly taking soft shots at Gute. The Jordan Love pick just keeps looking worse to me. Just M.O. of course

That's speculation. What we KNOW is that the Packers best 3 offensive players all made key mistakes that either cost the Packers a touchdown or handed the Patriots a touchdown. When that happens you usually lose .

Upnorth
01-30-2021, 06:47 PM
Considering the mistakes made it is a testament to the quality of our team keeping it close. Man jaire is amazing. He played like Jennings on a broken leg.

RashanGary
01-30-2021, 09:01 PM
It’s weak in terms of depth. That’s doesn’t mean there are not some good ones. My point being waiting around until day 2 or day 3 probably won’t get the job done when trying to address such a NEED!!

Until this D-Line thing is fixed and upgraded I don’t care what “Fancy Corner” the Packers draft or decide to bring in!!

Makes sense. Gotta see how it falls. There could be really good offensive tackles and receivers too. Never know who might make it to 29 and who won’t and really, it takes a few years before you usually know who was worth it. But I sure ain’t gonna complain if we take a DT. I just hate to get hopes all tied into one position. We’ve done that before and then Gute takes a damn receiver or something and we’re all shocked.

RashanGary
01-30-2021, 09:02 PM
I wanted Michael Pittman with the Love pick and wanted Simmons with the Gary pick. But I never get what I want. And half the time I’m dead wrong so I give up.

RashanGary
01-30-2021, 09:03 PM
Sometimes when there is a lot of one position, a star can slip all the way to 29. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a star WR this year.

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 12:01 PM
Sometimes when there is a lot of one position, a star can slip all the way to 29. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a star WR this year.

Like Tee Higgins ? Most projected him round one.

Claypool slipped some but unfortunately we traded away our ability to move up in round 2 (4th round pick) for Can't buy me Love

Joemailman
01-31-2021, 01:46 PM
Pretty in depth look at decision making and execution on Packers passing plays vs. Bucs by J.T. O'Sullivan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXS1t7DzWw&feature=emb_logo

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 04:24 PM
That pass to Lazaar when he's not remotely open is a perfect example of how AROD makes these WR's numbers better than they are. Most NFL QB's can't make that pass

Just think if we had another guy who got open :)))

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 04:25 PM
Adams drop is a REALLY HARD catch; everybody keeps calling that a drop. But it was a poor pass

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 04:29 PM
this guy offers great analysis

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 04:33 PM
cool analysis showing hhow the Jones fumble route was just a bad idea and execution and choice vs that defense

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 04:37 PM
Lazaar seems to miss a play change in last series on 1st and 8 at 8 yards line

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 04:38 PM
2nd and goal bad play by AROD; throw just late

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 04:42 PM
3rd and goal; it was there; throw was just too late.

JOE THANKS FOR POSTING

THAT ANALYSIS IS AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

run pMc
01-31-2021, 05:00 PM
This loss comes down to execution. Against the Rams, they missed on some plays, and I said they needed to tighten that up. They didn't. The Adams drop -- it wasn't an easy catch, but it hit his hands and Aikman was almost right in saying that's a catch 99 out of 100 times. The Redmond drop of a Brady duck on 3rd down. That dude's gotta catch that. That would have set GB up and prevented the next play.

That play of course, was a bad call by Pettine and bad execution by King. It's emblematic of something I've seen all year -- outside corners playing 8-10 yards off and not even giving a bump or shove to slow up or throw a smaller WR off their route. Packers have been pretty good at not giving up big plays this season, but they failed at a critical juncture.

Second half offense -- you know Brady is going to throw some deep in Arians offense, and Jaire took advantage with a few picks. MLF got away from short/quick stuff to neutralize the rush, and also got away from running the ball. No run game, no motion.. it was like ghost of M3's offense possessed the team. Basically, when this team gets away from its staples it sputters, and they essentially did nothing with 2 picks.

On 3 turnovers, they scored 6 points. On 4 trips to the RZ, they scored 2 TDs. Oh, and ESB dropped a 2pt conversion that mattered.

As for kicking the FG with under 3 minutes, I didn't like it but I get it. If Rodgers had tucked the ball and scrambled on 3rd down maybe they change their mind on going for it. Either way, I think MLF was basically saying they need the D (which played better the 2nd half) to make ONE stop to give Rodgers a chance to win, vs. going for it on 4th and goal from the 8 -- no gimme -- AND assuming you get the 2pt conversion (also no gimme) AND you prevent Brady from scoring so much as a FG with 2+ minutes to go. Basically, they were playing to win in regulation vs. going to OT.
Also, making it to OT and winning would mean you are asking Pettine's D to hold Brady scoreless on 2 consecutive drives vs. holding him on just the one.

If the flag wasn't thrown on King it might have worked.

Regardless of that last penalty on King (Rashan Gary was being held by Wirfs on same play) the Packers didn't play well enough to win. They certainly had chances.

ZachMN
01-31-2021, 05:04 PM
Not running the ball at the end of the 2nd quarter when there was about 5:00 minutes left was a huge mistake...left way too much time on the clock. I DO NOT understand why we try and get all KLM with the passing. This team has needed a bulldozer at RB and has it.....10 or less to the EZ you POUND THE ROCK soften the d up go no huddle the try the pass when they are expecting more run.....that my friends along with the out of no where man to man on the fateful 4th was the dagger.

GB-Brandon
02-01-2021, 10:06 AM
How about Rodgers? I haven’t seen you get off his nuts at all to place some very deserved blame on him.

I can only imagine if Rodgers threw three interceptions in the second half and had Brady’s passer rating in this game!

bobblehead
02-01-2021, 12:52 PM
refusing to call a run play in the 4th quarter with a ton of time left cost us this game. It put us in unmanageable 3rd downs with a defense that pinned back the ears. Led to 3 and outs and a FG because it was 4th and 9 instead of 4th and 2.

GB-Brandon
02-01-2021, 03:04 PM
refusing to call a run play in the 4th quarter with a ton of time left cost us this game. It put us in unmanageable 3rd downs with a defense that pinned back the ears. Led to 3 and outs and a FG because it was 4th and 9 instead of 4th and 2.

I’ve been all over LaFluer and his play calling in this game. I posted about his play calling late in the season and noticed certain things when the pressure got thick and certain tendencies that weren’t good. This is a concern moving forward no doubt!!

GB-Brandon
02-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Whether LaFluer didn’t trust his scheme with his personnel or his personnel he didn’t trust something and that was obvious!!

GB-Brandon
02-01-2021, 03:11 PM
This Tampa defense gave us fits earlier in the season and it had the disposition to give us problems again. Even without it’s starting safeties. Vea was problem. Tampa isn’t going anywhere and the Niners will be back. The Rams too with a healthy A. Donald. The Packers need to re-tool this offense to beat those defenses. Beating the Bears, Queens and Lions will only get us so far so we can dribble all these big stats out of our mouths but we need to get better!! That includes getting Bakh healthy and getting the additional pieces LaFuer needs in his offense and scheme!!

That’s the Bottom Line!!

RashanGary
02-01-2021, 05:59 PM
They could get better on special teams and defense too. It’s not an offense only league. That would be golf or bowling. This is football.

Joemailman
02-01-2021, 06:18 PM
They could get better on special teams and defense too. It’s not an offense only league. That would be golf or bowling. This is football.

Really? You think they could get better on special teams? Woah boy. Calm down. Step away from the Kool-aid.

GB-Brandon
02-01-2021, 06:49 PM

They will get better on defense day 1 by bringing in a “Competent Defensive Coordinator.” It’s Highly Likely the talent is there on defense but not the right person “Stirring the Drink” if you know what I mean.

Special Teams is “Fundamentals & Coaching.” These are things we can clean up.

Bring in Richard “The Cover 3 Master” and start “Defending Every Blade Of Grass” instead of “Trying To Hold The Goal Line.” Change the mind-set and scheme and get this thing rolling in the right direction!!

th87
02-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Adams drop is a REALLY HARD catch; everybody keeps calling that a drop. But it was a poor pass

Yeah that pass sucked - too hot, too far behind.

And yeah, maybe with more offensive talent, we aren't in a position where one or two mistakes cost us the game.