PDA

View Full Version : Mvs appreciation thread

Upnorth
01-26-2021, 10:32 AM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00/gamelog/post/
That is his post season games
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm
That is his regular season stats.

Dude is a #3 wr who averages 17+ ypc and his catch rate (yes small sample size) goes up in big games.

I think a lot of teams would like to have their #3 do this well. And to my eyes he is improving. I think he will be james Jones part2.
If he hots 60 to 65% catch rate I'm ecstatic.

(If there was already a thread like this feel free to kill this one mad. Just trying to post some antidepressing stuff)

Joemailman
01-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Amazing thing is he had almost 700 yards in regular season even though he had 5 games without a catch. How much of that is his lack of consistency and how much is Rodgers' hyper focus on Adams is up for debate. At worst he is an above average #3 and a 5th round steal. If he can fix the drops as Jones did, he can eclipse Jones.

Tony Oday
01-26-2021, 10:50 AM
If he can fix the drops he is a top 30 WR in the League with his deep speed.

Bossman641
01-26-2021, 11:00 AM
Certainly feel a lot better about him now then a year ago. He brings something nobody else on the team does and the past few games especially he has shown growth in other areas (defeating press coverage, throttling down in zones, awareness of the first down marker).

Ideally we'd have a #2 who is more consistent then MVS with MVS/Lazard being the young ones you hope pass up the veteran.

RashanGary
01-26-2021, 01:49 PM
He's a deep threat, developing some overall game and blocks really well. Helps open up the run and pass games. Lizard is about to break out though. He can get behind a defense and does all of the dirty work and underneath stuff. I'm a big fan of MVS as the 3 but a bigger fan of what Lizard will bring as the 2

Upnorth
01-26-2021, 03:14 PM
I am not as convinced Lazard will be that much better plus mvs has higher ceiling imo

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 01:48 PM
Some People having fun at “K-Mart” again I see!!!!!!!

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 01:53 PM
Why in the hell would anyone appreciate “Mediocrity”

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/marquez-valdes-scantling/47809

You guys relatives or something?

Spaulding
01-27-2021, 03:50 PM
I think the point of this thread is encouragement we saw from his deep thread ability and his playoff performance. Again it might simply be the eternal optimism of many that he's progressing into a high end #3 if he sustains his play but the signs are there.

And if you're going to reference his PFF stats, also reference his playoff ones where he grades out much higher:

- https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/marquez-valdes-scantling/47809?weekGroup=POST

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 04:21 PM
I can go along with the #3 title with the right people around him. I just don’t like the idea of jamming him into a spot with not enough around him. I see him as a dangerous matchup weapon with the right pieces in place.

My push is to dip into FA and go after Cory Davis!!! To me this signing is absolutely necessary for many reasons.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/corey-davis-21746/market-value/

Mainly, this signing will give us a legit 1-2 punch where teams(like Tampa) won’t be able to double Adams and get away with “Pressing our other guys to death” and will ultimately open things up more for MVS in the end!!

Also, I would like to See Gute draft Stevenson or a similar player. I like Stevenson and at this time it appears we could get him in the 3rd round. To me he is Mercole Hardman 2.0. He needs to develop some of his game but he would “immediately” be able to give us some chunk plays with LaFluers Cocktail plays!!!

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/marquez-stevenson-nfl-draft-player-profile-houston-wide-receiver/

These pieces would have MVS running wide open with mismatches all day long!! This would also relegate Lazard to “filling in” which is really a great spot for him and to have him and where it should be. If the Packers attacked the offensive deficiencies this way then there would never be another peep heard out of me about Gute etc. As long as health permitted I believe we would have the firepower to finally “Secure The Trophy.”

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 04:22 PM
The thing that is different about me is I provide “Solutions.”

Bretsky
01-27-2021, 10:50 PM
Lizard and MVS are both 3's. Can we plz get AROD a #2 WR

Tony Oday
01-27-2021, 11:11 PM
Lizard and MVS are both 3's. Can we plz get AROD a #2 WR

You want a 1B because both Lazard and MVS can start as a 2 on a lot of teams.

Upnorth
01-28-2021, 05:56 AM

Exactly. Plus you can see the upward trend that mvs is showing.

Very few teams have the #2 that we assume we must have. The bucs. The rams. The Vikings. The Chiefs (if you allow the te to be considered which I do in this one exception). Then I can't think of any team who has a true 1b at the receiver position.

We don't have the best we group in the league but it is top 10.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 09:15 AM

I’m so sick of hearing this bullshit!! What teams? Certainly not any of the teams we played in the playoffs?

Someone name this big long list of teams?

Jacksonville Maybe? the Jets? The Eagles? Wow!! What a long list of teams!!!

In fact they are the type of guys that would completely disappear on other teams!! Some teams in a midst of a massive rebuild might have some Major Use for them but that’s about it!!

These guys do provide some value to the Packers but are being considered by some way way way more then what they are. The organization can and needs to do better!! It’s the only way!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 09:19 AM
Are you trying to get past Tampa and overtake the Chiefs or are you just trying to make it look good and win another division title moving forward? Which in that case I’m not even sure Rodgers signs up for another tour of that half measured attempt!!

That’s really where the question lies!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 09:24 AM
We’ve had Aaron Rodgers here for ten years doing this “Mindless” and Endless Build up and Tampa Fucken Bay goes out and gets Tom Brady and adds a few other pieces and accomplishes what we couldn’t do in TEN YEARS in ONE YEAR!!!

WAKE THE FUCK UP!

Don’t tell me how hard it is!!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 09:33 AM
I know EXACTLY what the Hell I am talking about and it’s not even hard to figure out!!!

Anti-Polar Bear
01-28-2021, 10:06 AM
The only poster on my “ignore” list is Skinbasket, and I can still see his posts. I just don’t read them. Have been boycotting skinbasket’s posts since the dough bag drove Mazzin away from Packerrats.

I still read ole Brandon’s posts. He does have a point: no fucking way the Pirates bench press DK Metcalf all fucking game. 6-5, 230 lbs of Hulk, faster than the Flash.

Fucking Packers woulda won with DK Metcalf on their roster.

Thanks, German Shepherd!

Upnorth
01-28-2021, 10:15 AM
The only poster on my “ignore” list is Skinbasket, and I can still see his posts. I just don’t read them. Have been boycotting skinbasket’s posts since the dough bag drove Mazzin away from Packerrats.

I still read ole Brandon’s posts. He does have a point: no fucking way the Pirates bench press DK Metcalf all fucking game. 6-5, 230 lbs of Hulk, faster than the Flash.

Fucking Packers woulda won with DK Metcalf on their roster.

Thanks, German Shepherd!

Why would Metcalf have made a difference. Unless he becomes a better blocker.
Using dillion would have made a bigger difference in that game than Metcalf. Having a better 2nd corner would have a bigger impact than Metcalf. Sure metcalf would have helped a bit but wr didnot cost us the game.

Bretsky
01-28-2021, 10:34 AM

And they might be 4's on others

Bretsky
01-28-2021, 10:36 AM
Deliver, Brandon....work on delivery :))))

Anti-Polar Bear
01-28-2021, 10:45 AM
Using dillion would have made a bigger difference in that game than Metcalf. Having a better 2nd corner would have a bigger impact than Metcalf. Sure metcalf would have helped a bit but wr didnot cost us the game.

Yes, Turner and Wagner got annihilated by Jason Pierre-Luc and that other guy, Nick Barnett or something. And I, a shutdown corner in HS who shut down Darren Charles in a game, coulda covered better than King and Sullivan.

But I would bet my minimum-wage paycheck that the Packers woulda scored more than 31 points with DK Metcalf ballin’ alongside 17. Pirates didn’t respect the speed of Green Bay’s wideouts. Hence, full court press all day.

Nobody on this blue planet can press DK Metcalf.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 11:14 AM
APB is 100 percent correct!!!! I was thinking about this the other day and DK would of ran right through those “Little Holds” from the Tampa Bay DB’s and yes we would of won that game late in the game with DK without a doubt and restored Glory!!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 11:23 AM
They wouldn’t of been able to play us the Same way with DK. Bowles would of been on his heels!!! Same things for quick/speed guy that they couldn’t get their hands on!!! Would of worked either way!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 11:31 AM
Tampa was down both their starting safeties in the second half and we still couldn’t beat them!! That thing was so Fucken gift wrapped!!!

We should be upset for a long long time!!

No!!! Our guys weren’t “GOOD ENOUGH”

Not if a Super Bowl is the Goal!!

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2021, 11:34 AM
Unless Metcalf is lining up at OT, I really don't think he would have made a difference.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 11:55 AM
This is the “FA Solution”

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/corey-davis/11760

Great combination of size/speed! Comes from a similar offense and somewhat affordable although we’ll see! He gets great leverage and smooth acceleration in and out of route stem tree. Very smooth hips!! Shows ability to win against press coverage. Ideal for Packers as No.2 weapon opposite Adams in LaFluer offense to keep double teams off Adams. Makes Packers offense almost impossible to stop and unstoppable with another piece that can be acquired in draft day 2/ day 3! All of these upgrades puts a player like MVS to be in his “True Natural Position” that will have him lined up 1 on 1 on speed matchups that he can win “All Day Long.”

https://youtu.be/YIekgnVzJVA

End Result: Packers can “Boat Race” teams like the Bucc’s off the field and go Blow for Blow with the Chiefs!! This is our “Path To Glory”

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 12:02 PM
With all that being done MVS needs to spend all off-season continuing to work on tracking balls and refining his ball skills and completing catches!!

With this we can achieve “Greatness”

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 12:40 PM
I will “Reserve My Appreciation” for when Gute has completed what he needs to do and MVS consistently does Likewise!!!!

RashanGary
01-28-2021, 01:12 PM
And they might be 4's on others

Adams is the best in the game right now.
Our 2 (lizard), 3 (tonyan) and 4th options (MVS) are somewhere in the upper end of things. The 5th guy is a running back, of which will be good even if it's Dillon. Rodgers and his weapons weren't a problem for the #1 offense in the league this year. I doubt they will be the problem next year either. Especially if we pick up a decent backup RB in the 3rd round or so.

I still hope for defense. A young and quality corner along with a run stuffing DT would make our team better than a WR or TE IMO. We shant be hyper focused on building a fantasy team, which is what people seem to be focused on sometimes.

Upnorth
01-28-2021, 01:22 PM

Yes, Turner and Wagner got annihilated by Jason Pierre-Luc and that other guy, Nick Barnett or something. And I, a shutdown corner in HS who shut down Darren Charles in a game, coulda covered better than King and Sullivan.

But I would bet my minimum-wage paycheck that the Packers woulda scored more than 31 points with DK Metcalf ballin’ alongside 17. Pirates didn’t respect the speed of Green Bay’s wideouts. Hence, full court press all day.

Nobody on this blue planet can press DK Metcalf.

Metcalf best 40 is 4.33 mvs 4.37 so that 0.04 second difference means what exactly? Speed isnt the issue. Try again.

I fully think metcalf maybe on a hof trajectory but he would not have won that game.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 03:11 PM
Well they couldn’t beat press coverage against Tampa Bay & back up safeties in a playoff game when we needed them to go to the Super Bowl!

Next!!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 03:12 PM
Metcalf best 40 is 4.33 mvs 4.37 so that 0.04 second difference means what exactly? Speed isnt the issue. Try again.

I fully think metcalf maybe on a hof trajectory but he would not have won that game.

Beating press coverage has nothing to do with a 40 time though!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 03:14 PM
Adams is the best in the game right now.
Our 2 (lizard), 3 (tonyan) and 4th options (MVS) are somewhere in the upper end of things. The 5th guy is a running back, of which will be good even if it's Dillon. Rodgers and his weapons weren't a problem for the #1 offense in the league this year. I doubt they will be the problem next year either. Especially if we pick up a decent backup RB in the 3rd round or so.

I still hope for defense. A young and quality corner along with a run stuffing DT would make our team better than a WR or TE IMO. We shant be hyper focused on building a fantasy team, which is what people seem to be focused on sometimes.

Unfortunately their season PFF rankings and advanced metrics don’t support your claims outside of Adams other then Average to Mediocre.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 03:19 PM
I challenge each of you to just make some progress and take some “Baby Steps” with taking off the “Green & Gold Colored Glasses”.

We’re just looking for Baby Steps this offseason. I think you can do it!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 03:20 PM
I have Faith!!

https://youtu.be/Yl6s6DGapug

HarveyWallbangers
01-28-2021, 04:04 PM

Agreed. We're projected to get two 4th round compensatory picks. I'm for drafting BPA (hoping need matches with BPA), but I'd like to see this combination with our 6 picks in the first 4 rounds:

Highest priority: CB, OT, DT
Second priority: WR, speed RB, OLB (would go to high priority if Preston Smith is cut)

At WR I'd like to get a better version of Tyler Ervin. Somebody who can be a slot guy or the jet motion guy. Think Deebo Samuel).

RashanGary
01-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Agreed. We're projected to get two 4th round compensatory picks. I'm for drafting BPA (hoping need matches with BPA), but I'd like to see this combination with our 6 picks in the first 4 rounds:

Second priority: WR, speed RB, OLB (would go to high priority if Preston Smith is cut)

At WR I'd like to get a better version of Tyler Ervin. Somebody who can be a slot guy or the jet motion guy. Think Deebo Samuel).

Yes. A really good young corner is my top hope if he’s a rare one who can play right away. Outside of that, I like your list quite a bit

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 04:22 PM
SEE, HERE WE GO!! “CAUGHT IN THE ACT”. A “Receiver Thread” where a “RECEIVER DISCUSSION” is taking place and BOOM you guys switch the discussion over to “CORNERBACK”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t want to here a Fucken Thing about what I POST & WHERE I POST IT!!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 04:25 PM
That’s how “Cornerback” should be handled BTW for all the Minions!!!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/william-jackson-18972/market-value/

Quit drafting & wasting premium capital on cornerbacks right now. The secondary is the strongest area of the team right now. Jackson would round it out nicely. He is a perfect “Pop & Play” for what we need. We don’t have time to develop a corner to start!!!

Joemailman
01-28-2021, 04:28 PM

This is my guy. Right now, probably rated as a 3rd round pick. Obviously that could change. Why not take a chance with a WR from Western Michigan? https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/dwayne-eskridge/gWaG0gKDbn

Actually there are reports that Eskridge is turning heads at Senior Bowl. Probably will be a 2nd round pick.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 04:38 PM
This is my guy. Right now, probably rated as a 3rd round pick. Obviously that could change. Why not take a chance with a WR from Western Michigan? https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/dwayne-eskridge/gWaG0gKDbn

Actually there are reports that Eskridge is turning heads at Senior Bowl. Probably will be a 2nd round pick.

He has two ways to go. Either Eskridge or Stevenson. Stevenson being the bigger guy so I think that would be the guy Gute would choose as that’s the route he usually chooses. I wouldn’t complain with either one. They have both been a pleasure to watch! They would both effectively serve that role for LaFluers “Cocktail Plays” which opens up the playbook and puts more stress on the defense!!

This is all of course hanging on the signing of Corey Davis as well. These two additions to the offense would have the playing field evened out with the other top contenders and even giving us an advantage which is where we need to be!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 04:42 PM
To get into draft talk we need to go big and get the best disrupter upfront on defense that we can find. I hope The Nixon kid out of Iowa would make it to us. I believe he would be the long term answer next to Kenny!

The Barmore kid out of Bama is a little inconsistent.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 04:44 PM
This obviously means signing Linsley. Letting Jones, Williams, King all walk. Cutting Krisky and Preston Smith to clear $. Trying to get a new deal in the works with Adams!!

And most importantly re-structuring Aaron! I don’t know what they do with Love. Massive Egg On Face!!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 04:45 PM
2nd round is possible OL or Slot Corner depending on VALUE!

RashanGary
01-28-2021, 04:56 PM
This obviously means signing Linsley. Letting Jones, Williams, King all walk. Cutting Krisky and Preston Smith to clear $. Trying to get a new deal in the works with Adams!!

And most importantly re-structuring Aaron! I don’t know what they do with Love. Massive Egg On Face!!!

Why you think Lindsley is resigned? We have the Hansen kid developing, Lucas Patrick and Jenkins who can be tried at center. Doesn’t seem to be a huge need?? Unless he’s relatively cheap. Then it’s a nice piece.

RashanGary
01-28-2021, 04:58 PM
To get into draft talk we need to go big and get the best disrupter upfront on defense that we can find. I hope The Nixon kid out of Iowa would make it to us. I believe he would be the long term answer next to Kenny!

The Barmore kid out of Bama is a little inconsistent.

I’ll take a DT all day if he’s there. You must spend an inordinate amount of time on football man. I haven’t worked in a year and play guitar 80% of my day. You must spend that much time on football to seem to know about everything.

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 05:00 PM
Gonna need too Draft a couple RB’s. These two plus Dillion keep the yards coming!!!

Him

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kylin-hill-nfl-draft-player-profile-mississippi-state-running-back/

& Him

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/demetric-felton-nfl-draft-player-profile-ucla-running-back/

On day 3!!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 05:02 PM
Why you think Lindsley is resigned? We have the Hansen kid developing, Lucas Patrick and Jenkins who can be tried at center. Doesn’t seem to be a huge need?? Unless he’s relatively cheap. Then it’s a nice piece.

They will keep the OL together. That is key moving forward. It’s great to also have the others developing. Depth, Depth & more Depth on the OL is Key!!!!

RashanGary
01-28-2021, 05:04 PM
They will keep the OL together. That is key moving forward. It’s great to also have the others developing. Depth, Depth & more Depth on the OL is Key!!!!

Have you noticed Lindsley leave a couple games the last couple years with his back. When he leaves he’s walking like an old man. Possible they know his physical condition might not hold up. He said in his season ending presser that they haven’t talked to him. Looks like there isn’t an open line yet. Jones has been contacted and offered a contract so they seem to prioritize jones of Lindsley.

No?

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 05:14 PM
I’ll take a DT all day if he’s there. You must spend an inordinate amount of time on football man. I haven’t worked in a year and play guitar 80% of my day. You must spend that much time on football to seem to know about everything.

Well you already know what I do man. College games too!!! LOL!! I know “All The Rosters” LOL!!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 05:16 PM
Have you noticed Lindsley leave a couple games the last couple years with his back. When he leaves he’s walking like an old man. Possible they know his physical condition might not hold up. He said in his season ending presser that they haven’t talked to him. Looks like there isn’t an open line yet. Jones has been contacted and offered a contract so they seem to prioritize jones of Lindsley.

No?

Good point. You could be right about Linsley. They tend to let interior guys go too after second contract. I’ve heard they want to keep him. If they don’t then even more $ to make some other things happen!

GB-Brandon
01-28-2021, 05:25 PM
He has two ways to go. Either Eskridge or Stevenson. Stevenson being the bigger guy so I think that would be the guy Gute would choose as that’s the route he usually chooses. I wouldn’t complain with either one. They have both been a pleasure to watch! They would both effectively serve that role for LaFluers “Cocktail Plays” which opens up the playbook and puts more stress on the defense!!

This is all of course hanging on the signing of Corey Davis as well. These two additions to the offense would have the playing field evened out with the other top contenders and even giving us an advantage which is where we need to be!

The other thing that should be noted is Stevenson’s injury history although he did come back strong from it. Jaire had some injury concerns too coming out. I certainly wouldn’t want to get into a “Parris Campbell Situation” though with Stevenson.

Eskridge certainly appears to have that “Stop & Go” Tyreek Hil type gear!! Very tantalizing!

Upnorth
01-28-2021, 06:18 PM

No?

Bad choice. Great running backs aren't good behind a bad line. Good running backs look great behind a great line.

Bossman641
01-30-2021, 10:36 PM
We still have people complaining Jenkins over Metcalf? Give me Jenkins all day.

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 11:59 AM
Linsley interviewed after last game and noted GB and his agent have had no talks of an extension

run pMc
01-31-2021, 05:22 PM
We still have people complaining Jenkins over Metcalf? Give me Jenkins all day.

This.
Metcalf is a good player and good fit in the SEA offense. Jenkins has played up and down an OL that has been hit with injuries (Taylor and Bahk on IR) and numerous line shifts. You have a year 2 guy who played RT, LG and C this year and didn't embarrass himself doing it, that's pretty impressive.

You want to downplay Jenkins because he doesn't play a glamour position, fine. He's as good as Sitton or Lang ever were, and is one of the best LG in the game already. Metcalf is good, but there are probably 5 WR better than him right now.

Going back to MVS, he needs to do work on tracking the ball and catching with his hands. That clicks for him, and he will be lethal. He's improved each season, and needs to keep doing it. He's a decent #3 or very good #4. Lazard is a meh #2 or good #3. I think they can improve the overall talent by drafting another WR to push out Malik Taylor. Funchess (if he plays for GB) likely pushes out ESB and threatens Lazard for snaps.

Basically, keep developing MVS and find someone to replace Malik Taylor/Tyler Ervin/Tavon Austin.

run pMc
01-31-2021, 05:25 PM

No?

I have, a while ago.
Linsley played really well and deserves a contract somewhere, but at 29 with a history of injuries including the back I don't think it should be with GB. I just think the injuries will catch up with him eventually.

bobblehead
02-01-2021, 12:58 PM
MVS had a very nice season. I think we have seen near his ceiling. He is a good #3 to stretch the defense. We can improve at WR, but this offense was elite. We lost when some fluky stupid things happened and we abandon the run in the 4th quarter. If thats on Flower I hope he learned.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2021, 01:41 PM
I disagree with that. Where would he be this year without the drops? Thus, his ceiling is like that without the drops. With his size, speed, blocking ability, etc., the sky is the limit. I think we see more of him as a route runner and possession receiver too, as a deep threat has the advantage of forcing DBs to play off him and open up shorter routes.

GB-Brandon
02-01-2021, 03:00 PM
For the last time MVS “Has A Place In This Offense” and “Hopefully That Place” is in a better position then he was in this year!!

What one shouldn’t do in regards to MVS is force a square peg into a round hole!!

With that said the “Solutions” have been carefully and skillfully laid out!!!

texaspackerbacker
02-02-2021, 07:06 AM
And for the last time too (unless contradicted hahaha), Valdez-Scantling, if he overcomes the drops - as is likely IMO - can be as good as any WR in the NFL. He can beat anybody deep, and either he gets doubled, opening up somebody else or the DB plays off, setting up a better chance of his getting open for something shorter. That's how the Packers started to use him, and we should only see more of it.