PDA

View Full Version : Josh Jackson

StPaulPackFan
01-26-2021, 08:20 PM
I'm seriously perplexed by how far he has fallen in GB. Going into the 2018 draft he had a PFF 96.6 overall grade and was the top ranked cornerback. Now take this with a grain of salt since Jaire Alexander had a PFF 82.2 overall grade and was ranked the 4th best cornerback.

Jackson was unable to beat out Sullivan for the 3rd CB. He was also a healthy inactive for quite a few games this year, including both playoff games. How does a guy that many draftniks saw as the possible 1st CB off the board in the 2018 draft become so buried on the depth chart?

Was his college evaluation just completely wrong?
Have GB coaches failed to coach him up?
Was he a bad fit in Pettine's scheme?
Did he sleep with Holmgren's daughter?

Lastly, does anyone think he can resurrect his career in GB? Could a new defensive coordinator make a difference?

Joemailman
01-26-2021, 08:53 PM
His senior year at Iowa he had 8 INT's. Then at the Combine he ran a mediocre 4.56 40 at the combine. That's likely what caused him to drop to the 2nd round. I think Packers thought they had a steal, but this may be one time where drafting a guy on his production more than measurables didn't work out. He started 5 games this year when King was out and gave up 74% completion percentage to opposing QB's. Barely played after King returned from injury.

Zool
01-26-2021, 08:58 PM
I read an article that said in Iowa he ran almost all zone. Said he loses all confidence when he gets in man coverage. Sounds a lot like King actually, except Jackson has been really bad when he gets time instead of King's mostly bad.

StPaulPackFan
01-26-2021, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure what the percentage is but GB seems to play quite a bit of soft zone. That would seem to work to his strength but he still struggled. He sure doesn't seem aggressive like he was in college so I think you're right about the confidence angle. I really hope something clicks for him this offseason and training camp. Especially with the possible loss of King.

GB-Brandon
01-26-2021, 09:36 PM
Not sure this draft pick is gonna work out!

People are completely over-reacting about the corner thing though. The secondary is strong overall and you can hide a guy back there for the most part. The problem for the 1000th time is an incompetent DC. We can easily pick up a stop gap corner and be okay and draft some corner depth in the draft. This really is the least of Packer fans concerns. Kevin King graded out at “57.5” and that won’t be hard to replace. You have one of the best cover corners in the league and real good safety play so no need to jump off the reservation here and waste a 1st round pick on a corner. It’s not worth the pop. We can get better bang for the buck at DL and helping Rodgers and LaFluers jobs easier against teams that can effectively play press coverage.

As far as Jackson unless the “wires connect between the ears” it’s over. “Issues”

Solution: Let Jackson play out the last of his contract and throw a flier out there he gets it together. I wouldn’t hold my breath on that though. Be on the hunt for a stop gap corner in FA and actively target day 3 corner options that provide value for depth. Be open to bringing Kevin King back on a 1 year prove it deal!!

There is no reason to get all crazy over a “Boundary Corner”

smuggler
01-26-2021, 09:46 PM
Along the same lines as Gunter but instead of being terrible in zone, he's terrible in man. He's too slow to play in the NFL.

George Cumby
01-26-2021, 09:49 PM
He's one I had high hopes for based on his production.

Maybe a new DC, defensive scheme and position coach will help his head out.

Does he have the tools/skill set to transition over to safety?

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2021, 01:03 AM
I had high hope for him too when he was drafted. I hope they don't just give up on him. If we are fortunate enough to dump Pettine and get a new DC, preferably one who plays more zone, he still could be decent. IMO, he played better than King when he started - admittedly a pretty low standard. Could he play Safety? He seemed to be a decent tackler, so maybe. The lack of speed might be a problem, though, and whether he is intelligent or instinctive enough is a question mark too. I say try to keep him for back up pay, and use him as a back up.

Corner is our primary need in the upcoming draft regardless.

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 07:58 AM
I believe Jackson has the talent to play and be serviceable. Hopefully the last year of his contract will force the Green Light to come on. Sometimes that is the motivating factor needed for some of these guys for things to be prioritized correctly!!! He has been vastly underachieving up to this point!! I’m trying to say this in a diplomatic way that is friendlier on people’s ears!!

As posted they should acquire some other guys to be safe!!

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 08:06 AM
A move inside could help as well. Put him to play more in the role of a Micah Hyde type Hybrid. Once again this is job of the the DC to get the most out of the player and utilize the player the best way possible getting the most out of him!

At the same time Josh Jackson has to make the commitment upstairs!

Upnorth
01-27-2021, 09:33 AM
I had high hope for him too when he was drafted. I hope they don't just give up on him. If we are fortunate enough to dump Pettine and get a new DC, preferably one who plays more zone, he still could be decent. IMO, he played better than King when he started - admittedly a pretty low standard. Could he play Safety? He seemed to be a decent tackler, so maybe. The lack of speed might be a problem, though, and whether he is intelligent or instinctive enough is a question mark too. I say try to keep him for back up pay, and use him as a back up.

Corner is our primary need in the upcoming draft regardless.

Don't want to sound like a broken record but I have no problem with CB being our 1st and 2nd rd choices. I trust gute. He has done a better job that tt at the top of the draft in the 2 years we can grade. Last year who knows. Dillion does have some great potential from what ive seen.

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 09:51 AM
Don't want to sound like a broken record but I have no problem with CB being our 1st and 2nd rd choices. I trust gute. He has done a better job that tt at the top of the draft in the 2 years we can grade. Last year who knows. Dillion does have some great potential from what ive seen.

Why would you do this when your main problem on defense against Tampa(A team you will have to beat) was not getting enough pressure and disrupting against Tom Brady? What the hell is a rookie corner gonna do for you?

It’s so ass backwards!!!

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 09:52 AM
We actually got the play we needed overall out of the secondary. This team has way more glaring needs if they are gonna get over the hump!

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 04:27 PM
This is the solution I would like to see at corner over King. He has the size and would be the perfect fit to play in the Packers no.2 spot! He would definitely be an upgrade over King! Doesn’t get a lot of air time because he played for the Bengals. I really like his style of play!
Would completely solidify the secondary!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/william-jackson-18972/market-value/

ZachMN
01-27-2021, 06:14 PM
The Packers Draft board should be the top SEC and Clemson DL lineman. You generate a pass rush with your line and the secondary benefits. Every team that beats us seems to be able to field a defense that does this to the #1 offense......ridiculous....Pettine better be gone soon.

GB-Brandon
01-27-2021, 06:53 PM
The Packers Draft board should be the top SEC and Clemson DL lineman. You generate a pass rush with your line and the secondary benefits. Every team that beats us seems to be able to field a defense that does this to the #1 offense......ridiculous....Pettine better be gone soon.

Weak DL class but I do agree with you getting someone next to KC pushing the pocket should be number 1 priority. I get the SEC/Clemson thing and this guy was heavily recruited and vetted and offered to Bama and is the one I have my eye on. If you watch tape I think you will enjoy his. Just a high motor monster!!

https://www.eastwestfootballnetwork.com/east-west-football-network/nfl-draft-prospects/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-daviyon-nixon/