PDA

View Full Version : Packers Firing Mennenga

Joemailman
01-27-2021, 05:49 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/27/report-packers-firing-special-teams-coordinator-shawn-mennenga/

Joemailman
01-27-2021, 05:51 PM
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1h
The #Packers are parting ways with special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga, per source..

MadScientist
01-27-2021, 06:36 PM
Can they please find a coach who doesn't think the 'special' in special teams means the same as in special education.

Joemailman
01-27-2021, 06:46 PM
Can they please find a coach who doesn't think the 'special' in special teams means the same as in special education.

You mean like...

https://i.imgflip.com/spweh.jpg

George Cumby
01-27-2021, 06:49 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/951/869/356.jpg

Joemailman
01-27-2021, 08:03 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky
·
2h
Told there's a strong chance that coach Matt LaFleur will promote from within to fill the special teams coordinator job.

Maurice Drayton was No. 2 on the special teams staff and is expected to get the first shot at it.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
·
3h
#Packers asst. Maurice Drayton was a strong candidate when Mennenga was hired and has a strong reputation around the league. Just because he was the assistant doesn’t mean he would run things the same way.

Inside hire? Drayton was the Colts Asst. SC coach with Colts before Packers hired him.

KYPack
01-27-2021, 09:07 PM
I'd like a big overhaul on teams.

The cover teams never had solid lane integrity. There was a return vs the Jags that had 4 guys in the same lane. I wouldn't mind a new punter. (Try to coax Pat MacAfee out of retirement? JK). We haven't had much in the way of returner talent in several seasons.

If Drayton is the ST Coordinator, fine. But he needs to build a whole new staff on teams.

Fritz
01-28-2021, 12:02 PM

The cover teams never had solid lane integrity. There was a return vs the Jags that had 4 guys in the same lane. I wouldn't mind a new punter. (Try to coax Pat MacAfee out of retirement? JK). We haven't had much in the way of returner talent in several seasons.

If Drayton is the ST Coordinator, fine. But he needs to build a whole new staff on teams.

What he said.

And a new punter, for sure, as part of an overhaul not just of talent but of attitude. That guy was pussy personified. How's anyone going to want to go to bat for him?

I know the Detroit ST coach has baggage, as he got canned for mutiny, but those ST were good in Detroit. I'd take a flyer on him and just keep a lid on him.

But if The Flower thinks his guy is already within the organization, fine. But the whole thing needs work.

texaspackerbacker
01-28-2021, 05:56 PM

I would too, but I'm not sure there's that much a ST Coordinator can do other than nag and drill attention to detail into players. McAfee probably make so much money doing what he's doing that he wouldn't be interested. I'd like to see them get a new punter too. It's more on the GM and head coach that we don't have or use better personnel on special teams.

Joemailman
01-28-2021, 10:44 PM
wrong thread