PDA

View Full Version : Pettine Gone

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 04:28 PM
I know CMI already reported it, but I think it deserves its own thread.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
13m
#Packers DC Mike Pettine’s contract is expiring and he will not return in 2021, source said.

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 04:34 PM
It will be interesting to see what the reaction to this is. There are certainly DC's out there whose defenses performed worse than Pettine's. But considering what the Packers invested in this defense, more was righjtly expected.

Upnorth
01-29-2021, 04:38 PM
So who is worth replacing him? Certainly not internal.

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 04:43 PM
I doubt it will be internal, although Jerry Gray has been a DC. MLF has been with a number of coaching staffs, so he probably has some people in mind already.

GB-Brandon
01-29-2021, 04:44 PM
Old News.

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 04:47 PM
Wade Phillips
@sonofbum
I am ready to retire from retirement! I am ready and available. Let’s win.
8:25 AM · Jan 15, 2021 from Bunker Hill Village, TX·Twitter for iPhone

MLF probably has someone younger in mind, but you never know.

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Detroit Lions
@Lions
·
13m
#Lions hire Dom Capers as senior defensive assistant

Cross him off the list.

GB-Brandon
01-29-2021, 05:13 PM
Bring in a 4-3 defensive Coordinator. Fuck this Gizmo D bullshit!! Get Back to Basics!!

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 05:15 PM
Well, now it's official:

The Green Bay Packers have dismissed special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine will not return. Head Coach Matt LaFleur made the announcement Friday.

Mennenga has coached in the NFL for nine seasons, including the last two seasons as the special teams coordinator for the Packers.

"We appreciate Shawn for all that he has given to the organization and his contributions to our success over the past two seasons," said LaFleur. "We wish all the best to him, Christie, and the rest of their family in the future."

Pettine has worked as an NFL coach for 17 seasons, including the past three as the defensive coordinator for Green Bay.

"We want to thank Mike for his commitment to the Packers for the last three seasons. He was an important part of our success. As a first-time head coach, he was also an invaluable resource for us during our time together," said LaFleur. "We wish Mike, Megan, and the rest of their family the best moving forward."

George Cumby
01-29-2021, 05:30 PM
I'm glad they aren't mucking about.

QBME
01-29-2021, 05:47 PM
I'm glad they aren't mucking about.

No doubt.

Bretsky
01-29-2021, 05:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvX_5ym_ajI

SING ALONG HOMIES

Bretsky
01-29-2021, 05:51 PM
ANYBODY WANT TO JOIN THE WEBSITE WIST STARTED....aka...it's all Dom's Fault ??

www.BRINGBACKDOMCAPERS.com

Bretsky
01-29-2021, 05:52 PM
SIDETOTE: For the most part the Badgers have had better DC's that GB for a long time now

GB-Brandon
01-29-2021, 05:58 PM
Should of gotten Dan Quinn!!!

GB-Brandon
01-29-2021, 06:05 PM
GM: John Dorsey

HC: Josh McDaniels

DC: Dan Quinn

That’s what a franchise of this stature deserves!!! We would certainly be Celebrating instead of Everything Else that is going on!!!

Mark Murphy couldn’t survive with this type of firepower around and that’s why we don’t have this type of talent!!

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 06:49 PM
SIDETOTE: For the most part the Badgers have had better DC's that GB for a long time now

Perhaps now that will change.

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 07:14 PM
One guy we might hear about is Aubrey Pleasant, the Rams CB coach. LaFleur was on the Rams staff with him in 2017. Pleasant worked under Wade Phillips for 3 years in LA.

hoosier
01-29-2021, 07:20 PM
#Lions hire Dom Capers as senior defensive assistant

Cross him off the list.

Come on, Gute, you're letting all the good ones get away!

Joemailman
01-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Some possibilities:

Aubrey Pleasant - Rams CB coach

Jerry Gray - Packers CB coach - Former DC

Wade Phillips - Most recently Rams DC

Kris Richard - Former Seahawks DC

Jerod Mayo - Patriots LB coach

Marvin Lewis - Former Bengals HC and Ravens DC

Kris Kocurek - 49ers DL coach

Teryl Austin - Steelers Asst. - Former Lions DC

Jim Leonhard- Wisconsin DC

Kacy Rodgers - Bucs DL coach

Mike Caldwell - Bucs LB coach

Chris Shula - Rams OLB coach

Aaron Glenn - Saints DB coach

Bretsky
01-29-2021, 09:59 PM
Should of gotten Dan Quinn!!!

Agree 1000 percent

But how do you reach out and have him reserved when you are going on a SB run.

Bretsky
01-29-2021, 10:03 PM
Some possibilities:

Aubrey Pleasant - Rams CB coach

Jerry Gray - Packers CB coach - Former DC

Wade Phillips - Most recently Rams DC

Kris Richard - Former Seahawks DC

Jerod Mayo - Patriots LB coach

Marvin Lewis - Former Bengals HC and Ravens DC

Kris Kocurek - 49ers DL coach

Teryl Austin - Steelers Asst. - Former Lions DC

Jim Leonhard- Wisconsin DC

Kacy Rodgers - Bucs DL coach

Mike Caldwell - Bucs LB coach

Chris Shula - Rams OLB coach

Aaron Glenn - Saints DB coach

Of this group the stars would be IMO

Marvin Lewis.....Great DC
Wade Phillps....he's just a solid solid DC

And I'd say Jim Leonard.....but I want him to stay where he's at

Jerry Gray...........blaaaa

smuggler
01-30-2021, 12:57 AM
Wade Phillips... pls

th87
01-30-2021, 01:51 AM
Any Todd Bowles assistants out there?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-30-2021, 02:36 AM
Given the fact that Bowles was a head coach just 3 or 4 blue moons ago, there should be plenty of Bowles disciples available off the streets of Baltimore or via promotion.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-30-2021, 02:54 AM
Of this group the stars would be IMO

Marvin Lewis.....Great DC
Wade Phillps....he's just a solid solid DC

And I'd say Jim Leonard.....but I want him to stay where he's at

Jerry Gray...........blaaaa

I ain’t watch alotta slave college futbol anymore, for, doing so makes me remorsefully long for my bygone institutionalized days, an era when I was “young and full of life and full of love.”

I might not know what I’m talking about, but ole Leonhard strikes me as a coordinator who would hold Southern Kentucky Confederate State A and M to zero point only to allow 60 to the Ohio State University.

Leonhard himself is a Rex Ryan disciple. Do the Packers really need another big game choker D-coordinator, ala, Pettine?

Bring in Al Harris. While Harris lacks experience as a play caller, he’s been exposed to a million different branches of D. Dude played under Jim Johnson, Jim Bates, Bob Sander, Bob Slowik, Ed Donatell, Dom Capers, among others.

Bring in Al Harris and make the bump and run/exotic blitzes great again.

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 08:45 AM
Any Todd Bowles assistants out there?

Two current ones.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/10-defensive-coordinator-candidates-for-packers-mike-pettine-matt-lafleur/

Kacy Rodgers

Now the defensive line coach under Todd Bowles for the NFC champions, Rodgers is well-trained in Bowles’ ways after coordinating his defenses with the New York Jets for four seasons. LaFleur spoke highly of Bowles’ defenses before each meeting in 2020 and may want that system in place in Green Bay. If so, Rodgers is a logical option.

Mike Caldwell

The same scenario exists for Caldwell, who has coached inside linebackers for Todd Bowles in Tampa Bay the last two seasons and worked side-by-side with Bowles in New York. Both Caldwell and Kacy Rodgers would provide an opportunity to dip into the Bowles system. Caldwell helped develop Lavonte David and Devin White into All-Pros and could be vital to getting more from the much-maligned position in Green Bay.

Upnorth
01-30-2021, 09:23 AM
Either kacy rodgers or mikecaldwell would be nice hires. I think i prefer Caldwell because of our perennially weak lb corps

George Cumby
01-30-2021, 12:47 PM
Wade Phillips... pls

I don't have a strong opinion, either way, but I was of the impression ol' Wade is kind of, well, old and not at the cutting edge any more?

Bretsky
01-30-2021, 12:52 PM
I'd be down with Caldwell also

I am really hoping we don't Special Team it and just hire from within. We do that TOO OFTEN

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2021, 12:55 PM
I'm glad they are letting Pettine go. As for the replacement, the who is not as important as the what IMO.

I wouldn't mind a 4-3 look. I've always thought our personnel was more suited for that. Gary and both Smiths are way more 4-3 DEs than OLBs in a 3-4. Of course, we don't really have much in the line of true 4-3 OLBs, but they should be easier to find than outside pass rushers. We basically do a lot of that now, but without the LB presences setting the edge way too often. What I would hate to see is less blitzing/less of a pass rush. I also would like to see more zone in pass coverage.

As for the who, of the oldies, Marvin Lewis might be good. I don't like Wade Phillips. He was way too lax as a HC and presumably as a DC in Dallas, and what the Packers lack is discipline and attention to detail on D. I also don't want Gray, as he presumably is the main one designing pass D now, and we need to upgrade that. I like the idea of Leonard, but as Bretsky said, I also would like to keep him where he is. Eventually, he will go someplace, though, so why not Green Bay. Those two Bowles disciples, especially Caldwell, the LB guy, sound like good possibilities too. You always have the question, though, with position coaches, can they put it all together and be good as a coordinator?

ZachMN
01-30-2021, 01:01 PM
I don't care if it's Strawberry Shortcake as long as the D embodies this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO6bFZAzRcI

Destroy these teams bone by bone.

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 01:29 PM
I'd be down with Caldwell also

I am really hoping we don't Special Team it and just hire from within. We do that TOO OFTEN

Press conferences Monday. One presumably is to announce Drayton. The other will be either to announce Pettine's replacement (Gray and Mike Smith have been mentioned as possibilities), or to announce they will be conducting an extensive search for the next DC. I'm betting on the latter.

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 01:44 PM
I don't have a strong opinion, either way, but I was of the impression ol' Wade is kind of, well, old and not at the cutting edge any more?

Rams let his contract expire after the 2019 season. Defense wasn't as good that year, especially down the stretch as they allowed about 100 points over the last 3 games.

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 03:33 PM
Wade Phillips
@sonofbum
· 3h
To all the Packers fans on Twitter -Thank you for overwhelming support from the team owners!But I know Matt and he is an outstanding coach and will make the best decision for your team! Period:tup:

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 03:52 PM
Jason Wilde with a pretty good rundown of some of the DC candidates. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/who-s-next-from-jim-leonhard-to-wade-phillips-to-copying-bucs-matt-lafleur-has/collection_e87c9444-befc-50e0-97c4-83b2210d7c18.html?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sports#1

Bossman641
01-30-2021, 10:16 PM
His first name has to start with an M...all Matt's, Mike's, Marvin's automatically move to the front of the line. Put me down for Mike Caldwell

th87
01-31-2021, 02:50 AM
Two current ones.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/10-defensive-coordinator-candidates-for-packers-mike-pettine-matt-lafleur/

Nice, would be cool with either.

Sparkey
01-31-2021, 08:08 AM
My guess is Jerry Gray gets the job. He is well respected and is not a Pettine guy and has run a 4-3 in the past.

My worries about going to a 4-3 do we have the tackles to play it ?

Joemailman
01-31-2021, 11:21 AM
My guess is Jerry Gray gets the job. He is well respected and is not a Pettine guy and has run a 4-3 in the past.

I think the distinction between 4-3 and 3-4 has become blurred. Most teams play a 4-2-5 about 70% of the time.

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 11:56 AM
Dear Gutebag and MFL

OPEN UP THE PROCESS AND INTERVIEW CANDIDATES

If Jerry Gray comes out on top so be it.

texaspackerbacker
01-31-2021, 01:20 PM

We certainly have one excellent DT. Using Keke or if Adams comes back or heaven forbid, the Northwestern duds in the rotation wouldn't be too bad, because I suspect the 4-3 would become a 3-3 with Clark in the middle nearly or over half of the time.

Fritz
01-31-2021, 03:30 PM
One guy we might hear about is Aubrey Pleasant, the Rams CB coach. LaFleur was on the Rams staff with him in 2017. Pleasant worked under Wade Phillips for 3 years in LA.

If we don't hire this guy, that would be . . . . un-Pleasant.

And some of those Bowles assistants sound good but somewhat down the ladder - position coaches from the . . . Bowels of the system.

Fritz is on a roll, baby!