PDA

View Full Version : Official fire Maurice Drayton

Upnorth
01-30-2021, 11:57 AM
Madtown inspired me to get ahead of the curve on this. We all know there is only one way this will end for poor old Maurice.
A once potential filled assistant doomed to failure by being hired as the packers coordinator.

George Cumby
01-30-2021, 12:45 PM
Fuck that guy.

Exactly what has he done for us in his time here?

Bretsky
01-30-2021, 12:55 PM
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over and over after it fails. Thanks MF for adding another "over".

FIRE HIS ASS

Zool
01-31-2021, 11:58 AM
Almost 30 years of ST futility, why would this be the magic elixir? Fire him before training camp starts, and lets move on to the next chump.

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Almost 30 years of ST futility, why would this be the magic elixir? Fire him before training camp starts, and lets move on to the next chump.

WHERE IS THE GUY MATTY ICE wanted in the first place ?????:?

Find him, track him down, and offer him ST and an Asst Coach and a Raise :)))))

Joemailman
01-31-2021, 12:19 PM
WHERE IS THE GUY MATTY ICE wanted in the first place ?????:?

Find him, track him down, and offer him ST and an Asst Coach and a Raise :)))))

Darren Rizzi of New Orleans. They ranked 5th this year. Actually I don't think you need to be great at ST. The 2 teams in the Superb Owl ranked 19th and 22nd. You don't want to be as bad as the Packers were, but boring competence would be enough.

run pMc
01-31-2021, 04:36 PM
You don't need to be great at it, but you do need to be competent. There were numerous examples this year where they were not.
Would be nice if they could find any kind of threat at PR/KR as well. A ST play can turn a game, or at least wrestle the momentum in your favor.

I'm not gonna jump all over the guy unless he's worse than Shawn Menningitis. Odds are he'll be at least a modest improvement.

Also: for all the complaining about our ST, consider the Chargers were historically terrible until the end of the season, and the Vikings were almost as bad. Lots of teams have ST issues.

Upnorth
01-31-2021, 05:52 PM
You don't need to be great at it, but you do need to be competent. There were numerous examples this year where they were not.
Would be nice if they could find any kind of threat at PR/KR as well. A ST play can turn a game, or at least wrestle the momentum in your favor.

I'm not gonna jump all over the guy unless he's worse than Shawn Menningitis. Odds are he'll be at least a modest improvement.

Also: for all the complaining about our ST, consider the Chargers were historically terrible until the end of the season, and the Vikings were almost as bad. Lots of teams have ST issues.

Chargers have an amusing special teams history. I believe they are the only team to be first in o and d yet mis the playoffs. All thanks to st.

bobblehead
02-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Fire him. I am not on board with hiring assistants to failures.

Joemailman
12-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Bump. That was some half of football.

Bretsky
12-12-2021, 10:35 PM
I am completely against hiring the Assistant ST Coach

That has filed way way too many times for us

texaspackerbacker
12-12-2021, 11:30 PM
I've been defending the guy, but I'm starting to agree with ya'all that want to get rid of him.

QBME
12-12-2021, 11:37 PM
I dunno, I'm not an X's and O's person, but some on here preach stay in your lane. Seems simple but after watching tonight, again, I dunno.
Brilliant observation eh?

King Friday
12-13-2021, 05:26 AM
He has to go. A local high school coach is probably better. The constant breakdowns and ineptitude are frustrating. Punt and kickoff coverage is not rocket science. Repeated failures are a sign of poor coaching. There is a reason you never see this from a Belichick team. He doesn't allow for poor coaching on special teams because he understands what is needed from the coach. I'm not sure MLF has a clue about special teams, but he needs to recognize no one on his staff does and go outside the confines of Lambeau to find someone who does.

Joemailman
12-13-2021, 08:06 AM
One guy who might become available after the season is Joe Judge. Judge may be fired from his job as Giants HC after this year. Before he was the Giants HC, Judge was the Patriots ST coach from 2015-2019.

Fritz
12-13-2021, 08:23 AM
One guy who might become available after the season is Joe Judge. Judge may be fired from his job as Giants HC after this year. Before he was the Giants HC, Judge was the Patriots ST coach from 2015-2019.

Should they hire him at the end of the season, once the Gints fire him?

You be the Judge.

But as Bretsky has said, repeatedly, we've been hiring assistants to the assistant for years now. How's that working out?

Go outside the organization, and pony up. Get a professional special teams coach in there at the end of the season. For now, have The Flower hovering nearby at ST portions of practice, get involved a little, and spend more time on ST.

Joemailman
12-13-2021, 08:33 AM
I posted this in the More Banjo thread, but I should have posted it here:

One thing we don't know if how much practice time is being devoted to ST. Maybe they need more. The other issue is which players are being made available to the ST units. I was surprised a couple of weeks ago to see Cooper Kupp returning punts for the Rams. Mecole Hardman, the Chiefs #2 WR, returns punts for them. But the Packers have a struggling rookie returning punts.

In Green Bay, the ST coordinators change, but the situation remains the same. I have to think there's a culture problem in Green Bay, where the importance of ST's is not stressed enough.

run pMc
12-13-2021, 09:32 AM
After the season, you hire one from outside the organization. I don't see how you can keep Drayton as HC with all the drama and ineptitude there. Mid season firing won't help, it never does.

call_me_ishmael
12-13-2021, 09:37 AM
Didn't they have a chance to hire a stud but the cheaped out? Want great results? Gotta pony up.

Joemailman
12-13-2021, 10:12 AM
Didn't they have a chance to hire a stud but the cheaped out? Want great results? Gotta pony up.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/packers-lose-special-teams-darren-rizzi-coach/

Rizzi is now in New Orleans.

George Cumby
12-13-2021, 10:57 AM
It will surprise no-one if 'Teams cost us a game in the playoffs.

Tony Oday
12-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Kickoffs, kick it out of the end zone, punts kick it out of the end zone, returns down it on kicks, fair catch punts no returns.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-13-2021, 12:24 PM
It will surprise no-one if 'Teams cost us a game in the playoffs.

Still have 3 games to fix this shit. Mason “the Snowman” Crosby is worrisome. The rest of the shit are fixable, including catching the damn rock.

Joemailman
12-13-2021, 12:26 PM
Kickoffs, kick it out of the end zone, punts kick it out of the end zone, returns down it on kicks, fair catch punts no returns.

Crosby is incapable of kicking it through end zone if kicking into a wind. Fair catching punts is no guarantee they won't muff it.

Tyler Ervin is available.

Joemailman
12-13-2021, 12:27 PM
Still have 3 games to fix this shit. Mason “the Snowman” Crosby is worrisome. The rest of the shit are fixable, including catching the damn rock.

beveaux1
12-13-2021, 12:52 PM
If they fix the problems with kick coverage, it doesn't matter if Crosby kicks it out of the end zone.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-13-2021, 12:54 PM

Good to know. The NFL season’s lease hath all too short a date.

I’m all for a 20-game season.

Fritz
12-13-2021, 01:19 PM
I posted this in the More Banjo thread, but I should have posted it here:

One thing we don't know if how much practice time is being devoted to ST. Maybe they need more. The other issue is which players are being made available to the ST units. I was surprised a couple of weeks ago to see Cooper Kupp returning punts for the Rams. Mecole Hardman, the Chiefs #2 WR, returns punts for them. But the Packers have a struggling rookie returning punts.

In Green Bay, the ST coordinators change, but the situation remains the same. I have to think there's a culture problem in Green Bay, where the importance of ST's is not stressed enough.

To more accurately reflect the situation, and in the interests of honesty and transparency, change the name from "Special Teams" to "Special Teams Disaster," and then we can all agree that STD's are hurting this team more than anything else.

texaspackerbacker
12-13-2021, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Valdez-Scantling returning kickoffs and maybe St. Brown returning punts.

What I was thinking during that game, though, is WHY did we use a fairly high draft pick for a plodder like Amari Rodgers when there must be several Jakeem Grant type speed burners coming out of college every year that get drafted below Amari if at all?

Most of the special teams blunders, though, were mental mistakes/on the coach(es) - not staying in your lane in coverage, etc. Crosby's declining leg strength or Amari's dropping the ball, arguably that's not the fault of the coach, but most of the shit is.

Bretsky
12-13-2021, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Valdez-Scantling returning kickoffs and maybe St. Brown returning punts.

What I was thinking during that game, though, is WHY did we use a fairly high draft pick for a plodder like Amari Rodgers when there must be several Jakeem Grant type speed burners coming out of college every year that get drafted below Amari if at all?

Most of the special teams blunders, though, were mental mistakes/on the coach(es) - not staying in your lane in coverage, etc. Crosby's declining leg strength or Amari's dropping the ball, arguably that's not the fault of the coach, but most of the shit is.

Our GM reportedly love Amari Rodgers as a WR and considered him in round 2 as well. Time will tell I guess.

George Cumby
12-13-2021, 05:08 PM
The scouting reports on Rodgers made him sound like the second coming of Randall Cobb.

IIRC, Cobb produced his rookie year.

Bretsky
12-13-2021, 05:33 PM
The scouting reports on Rodgers made him sound like the second coming of Randall Cobb.

IIRC, Cobb produced his rookie year.

Ya; they made it sounds like we got lucky a top tier R2 WR fell into our laps in round 3.

smuggler
12-13-2021, 07:38 PM
Not every player develops the same and has the same career arc. It's possible he becomes a very good player for us, eventually. And the offense is hard for rookie receivers, moreso now than a decade ago.

RashanGary
12-13-2021, 08:00 PM
Not every player develops the same and has the same career arc. It's possible he becomes a very good player for us, eventually. And the offense is hard for rookie receivers, moreso now than a decade ago.

Aaron Rodgers is hard to play with too. He expects all sorts of adjustments. I think the complexity of playing with Rodgers is worse than most players.

King Friday
12-13-2021, 08:40 PM

Davante Adams certainly was not a stud from day one. Few receivers coming into Green Bay the last few decades as rookies immediately flashed. I agree on the point that it is hard to play with Rodgers as a young player. He is highly demanding and few rookies will ever measure up to his expectations.

bobblehead
12-14-2021, 08:15 AM
I wanted Kenny Gainwell who went to philly in the 4th. He has everything Amari has and more. His title is RB, but he runs routes like a WR.

Fritz
12-14-2021, 10:03 AM

This, and what King Friday posted, is the truth of the matter. Quit being so reasonable. It's a lot easier, and more fun, to bag on the guy.

smuggler
12-14-2021, 01:20 PM
Davante Adams certainly was not a stud from day one. Few receivers coming into Green Bay the last few decades as rookies immediately flashed. I agree on the point that it is hard to play with Rodgers as a young player. He is highly demanding and few rookies will ever measure up to his expectations.

Nor was Jordy.

Speaking of Jordy, there is a tight end playing for Georgia named Brock Bowers that reminds me a bit of Nelson.

bobblehead
12-15-2021, 08:35 AM
Crosby is incapable of kicking it through end zone if kicking into a wind. Fair catching punts is no guarantee they won't muff it.

Tyler Ervin is available.

I read that article on Ervin. I have defended Gutes quite a bit, but not bring black Tyler is malpractice at this point.

run pMc
12-18-2021, 02:24 PM
I think Drayton is done. If the Packers could rank lower than 32 (out of 32 teams) they would...

For KR you need a RB type who can read and follow his blocking. Speed helps there but isn't essential. That's why you would see Jamal Williams doing that, or Kylin Hill this year. Malik Taylor could do it at 6-2 210 but he has some lapses that do not impress.
For PR you need a quick, shifty guy (with reliable hands and judgement) who can make one guy miss and then instantly accelerate North-South. That person is not on the GB roster... well, maybe Jaire but you don't want him doing that.

Amari should not be returning punts. I think his confidence as a PR is shot. He has a chance as a WR still -- I'd give him next year to show improvement and a long look in Year 3 before dumping him unless the team decides the WR room need a full revamp, he does something criminal, or he pulls a Ty Montgomery.

Joemailman
12-19-2021, 08:33 PM

Giants lose again. Here come da Judge!

Fritz
12-20-2021, 11:27 AM
Giants lose again. Here come da Judge!

As sson as the season ends, fire Drayton and immediately look for a proven ST coach. Maybe Judge is that guy. Give him a good contract and get his ass to Green Bay immediately.

The ST's can't go for even one game without fuckups that cost the team points or field position. They just suck.

That will kill this team in a tight playoff game.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2021, 01:14 PM
I tend to agree with that, but I have to ask, what exactly could a "better" special teams coach do that would make a huge difference? This was a tight game, and special teams didn't kill the Packers, just stressed out some of us fans.

Fritz
12-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Special teams consistently costs this team, over and over. Kickoffs returned to the forty or fifty yard line. Punt returns that put the opposing team in Packer territory and put extra stress on the defense. Poor decision-making and ball-handling on the Packers' own punt returns that routinely ends up with the Packers starting from inside their own ten yard line, if not the five. I have to think that they lead the league in starting from inside their own ten. And that puts stress on the offense.

I think if the Packers could lure KYPack out of retirement you'd see an immediate improvement in coverage, returns, and even the kicking game.

bobblehead
12-22-2021, 09:26 AM
How can this thread not be 200 pages. But then again if there is nothing to discuss and a hive minded opinion I guess it wouldn't be.

texaspackerbacker
12-22-2021, 11:13 AM
I ask again, what exactly could a "better" special teams coach do that would make a huge difference" I can't think of much.

George Cumby
12-22-2021, 08:01 PM
In the PO's against other good teams, ST's can make the difference, esp. in close games.

The Pack better roll hard through the PO's so it doesn't come down to one fucking kick or return.......

smuggler
12-23-2021, 01:06 AM
I don't see a lot of coaching failure in the ST, at least since the LS/Holder/Kicker seem to have calmed down after they replaced Bradley.

Flukey bounce off MVS' hands in the Bears game. The returners (including Cobb) not fielding punts does not really reflect on the coaching staff. It reflects on the GM and front office more, because we do not have a bona fide returner, really.

Joemailman
01-22-2022, 10:26 PM
Let the countdown begin.

Bretsky
01-22-2022, 10:27 PM
Give him a on way ticket to the North Pole

Joemailman
01-22-2022, 10:54 PM
Give him a on way ticket to the North Pole

Or Chicago.

King Friday
01-22-2022, 10:57 PM
There is obviously no way the guy keeps his job at this point. He will be lucky to not have his house burned down.

The more pressing issue is if MLF learns his lesson from the mistake of retaining Drayton rather than replacing someone who clearly was not capable of doing his job effectively.

Bretsky
01-22-2022, 11:01 PM
STOP HIRING INTERNALLY
STOP HIRING THE ASSISTANT SPECIAL TEAMS COACH
I THINK 6 COACHES JUST GOT FIRED
PLUCK the BEST ST COACH FORM THAT GROUP THIS WEEK

MadScientist
01-22-2022, 11:24 PM
MLF should have told Drayton as soon as the game ended that anything left in his office will be in the dumpster first thing Monday morning.

George Cumby
01-23-2022, 12:46 AM
In the PO's against other good teams, ST's can make the difference, esp. in close games.

The Pack better roll hard through the PO's so it doesn't come down to one fucking kick or return.......

I really hate being right this time.

QBME
01-23-2022, 01:07 AM
I really hate being right this time.

Holy cry George. Some other poster named themself "prescient rat", but you undoubtedly (unfortunately) take the cake.

RammerJammer
01-23-2022, 01:42 AM
I blame MLF the most. He did nothing to fix this situation and ignored it all season. Just passive! Drayton will deservingly get fired but people should look really hard at MLF too. I'm just not impressed with the guy at the moment.

Joemailman
01-23-2022, 05:54 AM
Do the Packers as an organization have what you might call a cultural issue with special teams? 7 years ago the Packers lost an NFCCG after a ST disaster. Now it's happened again. Different players (except for Crosby), different ST coach, different head coach, different GM but the same results.

red
01-23-2022, 08:18 AM
Do the Packers as an organization have what you might call a cultural issue with special teams? 7 years ago the Packers lost an NFCCG after a ST disaster. Now it's happened again. Different players (except for Crosby), different ST coach, different head coach, different GM but the same results.

i asked the same thing last night

it has to be. we've been bad at special teams for so damn long

it can't just be a coincidence

bobblehead
01-23-2022, 08:30 AM
I ask again, what exactly could a "better" special teams coach do that would make a huge difference" I can't think of much.

How about now? Although I blame Aaron for barely breaking double digits, but I am positive you aren't doing that.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-23-2022, 08:34 AM
i asked the same thing last night

it has to be. we've been bad at special teams for so damn long

it can't just be a coincidence

Desmond Howard must’ve cursed the Packers after they cut him midway through his second stint with the team.

Why the fuck did they cut Howard? I seem to recall the guy returning a kick for 6 with the Kittens after the termination.

bobblehead
01-23-2022, 08:34 AM
I blame MLF the most. He did nothing to fix this situation and ignored it all season. Just passive! Drayton will deservingly get fired but people should look really hard at MLF too. I'm just not impressed with the guy at the moment.

Me either. A measly 39 wins in 3 seasons and 2 NFCC games. Fuck him.

Its fair to be upset with his hire and sticking with the guy, but to say you aren't impressed with him is sorta silly.

King Friday
01-23-2022, 09:14 AM
Me either. A measly 39 wins in 3 seasons and 2 NFCC games. Fuck him.

Its fair to be upset with his hire and sticking with the guy, but to say you aren't impressed with him is sorta silly.

Correct. MLF has only been a head coach for a few years. He's a very young guy by coaching standards. There are things he still has to learn. Expecting perfection is ridiculous.

As I've noted, keeping Drayton all year was a mistake. MLF must acknowledge that, publically, at some point and explain what he learned from that mistake. I have no issue with a coach learning from a mistake so that it doesn't happen again. I just need to know that MLF has recognized the mistake and vows to not allow incompetence to be a leader on his staff, regardless of the short term ramifications.

If you are going to say that you are unimpressed with a coach who had won more often than any coach in league history to this point in his career, then you have an impossible standard and there is no point listening to you.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2022, 09:47 AM
The thing that I don't understand is if they weren't working on the right things, etc, why didn't he step in and help out? He is ultimately responsible for the team. If a business pillar is under performing or whatever, someone would step in and help set the tone, direction, etc.

Upnorth
01-24-2022, 04:19 PM
Drayton is the main problem here. However mlf needs a mirror and some time to figure out why he let it go on.

How does our centre get trucked like that???
The blocked fg with no one noticing an overload???
I don't get it. I don't understand special teams but I think the fundamentals of gap integrity and blocking are kinda universal. The only way you fick it is by overthinking, we need a basic st. We have deep talent, just be fucking average

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2022, 06:56 PM
I've defended Drayton to some extent in the past, but after yesterday's game, no more. Over and over and over, blunder after blunder after blunder.

Bretsky
01-24-2022, 07:40 PM
Shanahan said multiple times to the press he went in thinking he had some definite advantages on ST

He exposed them

mgordo
01-24-2022, 07:48 PM
This is Guteys fault. MLF wanted Rizzi when he was hired. They low balled him.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/1/24/22899529/the-packers-went-cheap-on-special-teams-and-paid-big-in-the-end

Bretsky
01-24-2022, 07:55 PM

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/1/24/22899529/the-packers-went-cheap-on-special-teams-and-paid-big-in-the-end

Completely Agree

King Friday
01-24-2022, 08:06 PM
I've defended Drayton to some extent in the past, but after yesterday's game, no more. Over and over and over, blunder after blunder after blunder.

You need someone to blame other than Rodgers.

Freak Out
01-24-2022, 10:02 PM
Has this clown been fired yet?

Joemailman
01-24-2022, 10:05 PM
Has this clown been fired yet?

MLF was doing player interviews today. He was asked about it. Didn't rule out the possibility of changes to coaching staff.

Fritz
01-25-2022, 11:48 AM

You know, that is a good point. Maybe MLF's hands were tied because he could only offer minimum wage.

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 01:16 PM
You need someone to blame other than Rodgers.

True, but I guess you didn't see what I said in some other thread. LaFleur, as he so often does, throttled down on Rodgers and the passing game, especially downfield passing, and first and foremost, as LaFleur even said in his video conference, you can't blame the QB when the D is in his lap all day because the O Line can't handle the pass rush. Rodgers of course made some mistakes and maybe didn't show much patience at times, but the special teams lost the game along with chronic poor O Line play and the coach channeling McCarthy, seemingly playing not to lose.

run pMc
01-25-2022, 03:18 PM
I assumed Drayton would be fired after the season. I didn't think the season would have ended like that.
The regular season was awful, but that playoff game was a career-killing performance.

I don't see how MLF doesn't fire Drayton.

Joemailman
01-25-2022, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure he will fire him. He was asked in his PC Monday if he would be keeping Drayton:

“We’ve got to look at everything,” LaFleur said during his season-ending Zoom call. “We’ve got to look at everything and, if we feel like we can improve in certain areas, then we’ll make tough decisions.

Given that he certainly has to feel ST can be improved (How could he not?), I think he'll make the decision to fire Drayton. In my opinion, the only way he wouldn't would be if he decides Packers haven't made special teams a priority in terms of the quality of players made available to ST.

Bretsky
01-25-2022, 05:25 PM
IMO Matty can stop being a pussy and get this done. It's obvious and if it doesn't happen Matty will lose mass respect of nearly everybody

run pMc
01-25-2022, 06:48 PM
Desmond Howard must’ve cursed the Packers after they cut him midway through his second stint with the team.

Why the fuck did they cut Howard? I seem to recall the guy returning a kick for 6 with the Kittens after the termination.

Could also be the curse of Craig Hentrich, BJ Sander, JK Scott, or Hunter Bradley. I bet Scott and Hunter got a hoot out of Saturday's game.

Sparkey
01-25-2022, 06:53 PM
True, but I guess you didn't see what I said in some other thread. LaFleur, as he so often does, throttled down on Rodgers and the passing game, especially downfield passing, and first and foremost, as LaFleur even said in his video conference, you can't blame the QB when the D is in his lap all day because the O Line can't handle the pass rush. Rodgers of course made some mistakes and maybe didn't show much patience at times, but the special teams lost the game along with chronic poor O Line play and the coach channeling McCarthy, seemingly playing not to lose.

My goodness, you're a tool. By all means believe that Lafluer is the one that wants his QB to run MM's stagnant, no pre snap motion, garbage.

The one thing that Favre was never afraid to do was take chances.

Rodgers seems so risk averse that he stalls offensive drives. All year, the offense was on and off. If Rodgers gets all the credit when they win, we doesn't he have to take the blame when they lose?

Bretsky
01-25-2022, 06:53 PM
I'm going to sounds like a DEAD record here BUT we need to get things cleaned up BEFORE the new coaches are hired with the new coaching staffs.

We have some capable ST Coordinators just fired and job hunting.

AND..............FOR F'CKS SAKE< DO NOT HIRE HIS ASSISTANT> That shit has failed over and over and over for GB and our it's time to stop SHITTING ON OURSELVES with the ST HIRE

This methology for hiring ST assistants, and hiring Drayton the assistant, has turned into the motherload of all F'ck UPS.

Bretsky
01-25-2022, 07:01 PM

I really enjoy you as a poster Tex and part of that is probably because we have some good UW Badger Chatter.

But you have some severe blurred vision when it comes to Rodgers. We was our MVP; f'cking amazing. But come playoff time he has some severe issues to overcome in order to become Tom Brady. One is looking past Adams. Another is absolutely never taking a chance because he doesn't trust his WR's. Now one "MIGHT" blame Gutebag partsly for this. But he used to take chances, and he took chances the year we won the Super Bowl. Those back shoulder passses to Jordy were works of art. The volume of those are pretty much gone. And the go up and win the battle passes to Multiple receivers are gone as well. It's like he has narrow vision to Adams and does't move his head side to side. Now I ABSOLUTELY KNOW doing more of this will lead to a few more INT"s. But it's also going to lead to a LOT more TD's. Yes, he has an outrageous record for Toutchdowns to INT's and that is a "GOOD", but not GREAT as some think. It comes at the expense of more touchdowns IMO.

And Rodgers had a TON of TIME on hit last throw; he just fucked up. Call is what it is; a horrible decision. He makes mistakes. Sad to say, Jimmy G was probably the best QB Sunday.

FTR, I want to keep Rodgers, but he needs to be coachable and he needs to change the way he plays a bit IMO.

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 07:53 PM
I appreciate you too, Bretsky. My praise for Rodgers beyond the obvious is mainly in reaction to the stupid and irrational remarks of some in here and outside of this forum knocking him. There is no question whatsoever that he is the best QB right now, and very little that he really is the GOAT. Does he make mistakes? Sure, including probably a few in that game. I'm listening to his hour or so on Mcafee right now. Make no mistake about it, if Rodgers voluntarily left the Packers, I'd drop him like a hot rock - team loyalty is everything. I don't much give a shit about any individual player, even him, except what they do for the team as well as the indisputable facts about how good he has been and still is.

I see it as idiocy the idea that Rodgers has a rotten attitude toward the team or whatever.

Thirteen Below
01-25-2022, 08:13 PM
True, but I guess you didn't see what I said in some other thread. LaFleur, as he so often does, throttled down on Rodgers and the passing game, especially downfield passing, and first and foremost, as LaFleur even said in his video conference, you can't blame the QB when the D is in his lap all day because the O Line can't handle the pass rush..

First of all, do you not realize you just said two completely contradictory things? You claim LaFleur is the one who kept Rodgers from going downfield all night long, then you admit LaFleur was correct when he said that Rodgers couldn't go downfield because the Niners D line was swarming all over him before he could get set to throw. Which one is it? Because it can't be both.

Second, Rodgers showed no hesitation in going downfield whenever Adams was the WR downfield - even if Adams was double covered, like he was on that last play. He went deep downfield to a doubled-up Adams, and ignored the wide open receiver who was only 15 yards downfield, because that wasn't deep enough.

Is that what you would have liked to have seen more of?

texaspackerbacker
01-25-2022, 08:28 PM
hahahaha That sort of thing worked most of the season, just not Saturday night.

Obviously, LaFleur calls the plays which includes personnel and formation, etc. Rodgers can change things at the line or pick and choose receivers when the play starts. I don't think Rodgers overruled LaFleur's play calls nearly as much as some seem to think, but none of us know that for sure. Obviously, I'm on record as saying I don't like running too much on first down, and I just hate running it into the line on both first and second. I also have said, I have a very high opinion of LaFleur in general. When we had the vacancy, I said I wanted a cerebral coach, not some dumbass rah rah motivational guy. But sometimes, he does things I don't care for.

Thirteen Below
01-25-2022, 08:49 PM
hahahaha That sort of thing worked most of the season, just not Saturday night.

Obviously, LaFleur calls the plays which includes personnel and formation, etc. Rodgers can change things at the line or pick and choose receivers when the play starts. I don't think Rodgers overruled LaFleur's play calls nearly as much as some seem to think, but none of us know that for sure.

Jeez, man, I sure hope he did, because otherwise MLF is an imbecile. If that really was the game plan he spent two weeks working on night and day (as he bragged about), then we need Mike McCarthy back.

Bretsky
01-25-2022, 09:21 PM
SEAN PAYTON stepping down

WHO IS THEIR SPECIAL TEAMS COACH ?????????????????????/

Bretsky
01-25-2022, 09:28 PM
The Packers haven’t placed in the top 10 in Gosselin’s rankings since finishing tied for 7th under Mike Stock in 2007. The highest they’ve ranked since then is 12th under Shawn Slocum in 2011. Over the last four years – one under Drayton, two under Shawn Mennenga and one under Ron Zook – they’ve ranked 32nd, 29th, 26th and 32nd.

The organization had a chance to hire one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL – Darren Rizzi – in 2019, but it offered him less than what he said he needed to take the Packers job, and he decided they weren’t serious. He signed a four-year deal with New Orleans for the $1.5 million per year he was seeking.

Joemailman
01-25-2022, 09:39 PM
SEAN PAYTON stepping down

WHO IS THEIR SPECIAL TEAMS COACH ?????????????????????/

Your buddy. :D They finished 5th in Gosselin's ratings this year. Of course, it appears Rizzi has 1 year left on his contract with New Orleans.

RashanGary
01-25-2022, 09:42 PM
Maybe hire Joe Judge and pay him big bucks. We really do need to get a quality special teams coach and then commit more resources to special teams.

OL and secondary look to be improved next year. Special Teams could be another area of big improvement if they invest in it.

RashanGary
01-25-2022, 09:45 PM
Could hire the Ravens top assistant too. They always have good special teams.

Joemailman
01-25-2022, 09:48 PM
Could hire the Ravens top assistant too. They always have good special teams.

Or the Saints assistant. He's been there with Rizzi the last 3 years.

Bretsky
01-26-2022, 12:41 AM
Other teams assistants are more preferred to ours.

But why be tight asses when the real proven commodities are out there ?

Thirteen Below
01-26-2022, 01:00 AM
To be fair, though, $1.5 million really is a hell of a lot of money for an assistant coach in the NFL. That's more than triple the average salary for an assistant, and there are head coaches that really aren't making all that much more than that in the sheme of things - several are in the $3 million range. I'm not saying he wouldn't have been worth it; we certainly know now that it would have been money well-spent. Gutekunst probably thinks so as well.

But at the time, I can understand why they balked at that opening number, and apparently wanted some time to think it over. But I can also see why he wasn't available when they changed their minds, because he probably jumped headfirst at the first team that actually said "yes."

RammerJammer
01-26-2022, 01:15 AM
I just feel like if it's not the special teams next season then it will be something else. It's just always something keeping this team from reaching another Superbowl since 2010. Special teams gets fixed ok then what? Defense takes a step back? O-line will still mismatch against physical teams? What now? Smh

run pMc
01-26-2022, 11:48 AM
I just feel like if it's not the special teams next season then it will be something else. It's just always something keeping this team from reaching another Superbowl since 2010. Special teams gets fixed ok then what? Defense takes a step back? O-line will still mismatch against physical teams? What now? Smh

Of your choices I'll take "Defense takes a step back". Defensive performances have a high variance from year to year, and teams will have an off-season to sift thru film of Barry's D for weaknesses.

Upnorth
01-26-2022, 11:59 AM
https://youtu.be/IkPXl2ZTvQs

Needs yakity sax

George Cumby
01-26-2022, 01:51 PM
https://youtu.be/IkPXl2ZTvQs

Needs yakity sax

I love you, Man. I really do.

But next time tag that shit with "NSFWL".

Bretsky
01-26-2022, 10:19 PM
JAGS HIRING BYRON: good for him. One ST guy soon to be off the board.

Why is this Jag still on the staff ??

Joemailman
01-26-2022, 10:36 PM
JAGS HIRING BYRON: good for him. One ST buy soon to be off the board.

Why is this Jag still on the staff ??

The news About Leftwich my have been premature. There is talk Hackett may get 2nd interview there.

red
01-28-2022, 09:12 PM
why has this guy not been fired yet? whats the hold up?

lafleur doesn't want his buddy look like the reason we shit the bed or what?

i hear today the the fucking bears are already angling to geat the raiders HC for special teams incase he gets fired

didn't we do something like this a few years back? the whole world knew we were gonna fire the guy, but we waited for ever and let every other team sign up everyone before we decided to do anything. was it slocum or capers?

Bretsky
01-28-2022, 09:18 PM
why has this guy not been fired yet? whats the hold up?

lafleur doesn't want his buddy look like the reason we shit the bed or what?

i hear today the the fucking bears are already angling to geat the raiders HC for special teams incase he gets fired

didn't we do something like this a few years back? the whole world knew we were gonna fire the guy, but we waited for ever and let every other team sign up everyone before we decided to do anything. was it slocum or capers?

yes YOU REMEMBER THAT EXACTLY; WE PICKED OUR ASSES WHILE ALL THE EXPERIENCE WAS HIRED

PACKERS SEEM TO BE FAMOUS FOR TAKING THEIR SWEET TIME ON THESE

SILLY

Joemailman
01-29-2022, 12:27 PM
Need to keep Drayton around to help win the Pro Bowl.

Bretsky
01-29-2022, 12:28 PM
Need to keep Drayton around to help win the Pro Bowl.

Oh be quiet; don't give MLF any ideas !!!

run pMc
01-29-2022, 06:57 PM
When you watch the ST cutups from this season, I don't know how he can coach another year. The 2nd Chicago and the SF playoff games alone should be cause enough.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2022, 11:00 PM
I think Drayton should be gone as much as any of ya'all, and I strongly think he will be gone, but I sure as hell am not gonna question the judgment of LaFleur to make a good decision on this regardless of how it turns out.

Upnorth
01-30-2022, 07:49 AM
I think Drayton should be gone as much as any of ya'all, and I strongly think he will be gone, but I sure as hell am not gonna question the judgment of LaFleur to make a good decision on this regardless of how it turns out.

If he hires from outside I agree. If he goes internal, God help us all.

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 08:14 AM
If he hires from outside I agree. If he goes internal, God help us all.

In my opinion he not only needs to hire outside the organization, but because the Packers have no recent record of ST success, and because he doesn't have a background in ST, I think he needs to go outside the organization for advice on how to fix the problem, including who to hire as ST coach.

If MLF sticks with Drayton, then he has to take a more hands on approach with ST. But I don't think he'll do that. A couple of years of years ago, he fired his 1st WR coach after 1 season, so he's not afraid to admit he made a hiring mistake. Also, with all the changes on the offensive coaching staff, I don't think he'll want to be spending less time with them. That would be even more the case if Love is the QB.

Bossman641
01-30-2022, 11:06 AM
Why is Drayton not fired yet?

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 11:50 AM

Incriminating photos?

Sparkey
01-30-2022, 01:57 PM
Rich Bisaccia is now available.

Fritz
01-30-2022, 02:03 PM

I'm assuming Bich Risaccia is a special teams ace of a coach, and even though I have no idea I say fire Drayton and hire this guy now. Even if he's not a ST coach but a mobster from Jersey, hire him. Can it be any worse than the worst, really?

red
01-30-2022, 02:03 PM

YES, grab him before the bears do

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 03:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHPyYg6WUBY36rX?format=jpg&name=medium

Bretsky
01-30-2022, 07:21 PM
Shame on you Matthew

Teamcheez1
01-30-2022, 07:26 PM

I have a theory on this. I believe that MLF has been very busy with the assistant coaching shuffle, both losing and hiring new coaches. With all that activity, he didn’t want to send a negative vibe out to his existing coaches during a critical hiring phase.

My hope is he will can Drayton the minute he gets the positions filled. Of course, special teams should be one of the most important positions to fill after the playoff debacle. Perhaps he is lining up some candidates on the remaining playoff teams or already has feelers out to some other team’s assistants. We’ll see.

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 07:56 PM
I'm assuming Bich Risaccia is a special teams ace of a coach, and even though I have no idea I say fire Drayton and hire this guy now. Even if he's not a ST coach but a mobster from Jersey, hire him. Can it be any worse than the worst, really?

Worster. Worcestershire.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2022, 08:22 PM
Drayton may have been the Worcestershire of coaching.

Joemailman
01-30-2022, 10:00 PM
Bob McGinn
@BobMcGinn

Special teams coach: "Rizzi would have been a good hire but Lombardi would struggle without better players than the ones they're (the Packers) using on teams."

I think we will hear more of this kind of talk.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2022, 10:15 PM
In some ways, that is the result of carrying folks like Cobb on the roster. WR 4 and 5 should be ST aces I would think.

Upnorth
01-31-2022, 06:31 AM
To potential hires does it not look like the org undervalues st if it is taking this lomg to fire drayton? I think people would like up for a job on a 13-4 team that can only improve on st. Like wtf? This would be an easy job to build your resume I think.

Or is there internal structural issues. Does Murphy and board flex there wanna be owner muscles on st??

Joemailman
01-31-2022, 10:09 AM

There's a report that Bisaccia will be interviewing for Jags HC job.

RashanGary
01-31-2022, 05:42 PM
Stenovich is the new OC in Green Bay. I don’t know if it was posted anywhere else

Upnorth
02-01-2022, 06:51 AM
Luke butkis new oline coach. Hope he understands and can implement the stenovich way. Dude worked magic

SudsMcBucky
02-01-2022, 09:32 AM
Luke butkis new oline coach. Hope he understands and can implement the stenovich way. Dude worked magic

I would imagine Steno will still provide a lot of help to Butkis with the Oline.

George Cumby
02-01-2022, 11:18 AM
Why is this dope still employed?

Joemailman
02-01-2022, 11:43 AM
Busy week for MLF. Rebuilding his offensive staff. Coaching Pro Bowl, which is probably an unwelcome added chore.

One way or the other, I suspect we hear something next week.

RashanGary
02-01-2022, 02:39 PM
I would imagine Steno will still provide a lot of help to Butkis with the Oline.

Good point. Our OL isn’t losing any of their coaching stability. And the OL looks to improve in 2022. I’m excited to see Meyers and Newman as second year players. And Runyan should still be improving too. Maybe Bakhs knee finally gets healthy. A lot of things can go right for the OL this year.

RammerJammer
02-01-2022, 02:55 PM
I kinda feel bad because Drayton will be the fall guy but it seems to be a culture problem in Green Bay with special teams. Same thing with the O-line always getting bullied by physical teams come playoff time.

Joemailman
02-01-2022, 03:41 PM
Why is this dope still employed?

Wow. Didn't know you had that kind of pull. :worship:

George Cumby
02-01-2022, 03:44 PM
Wow. Didn't know you had that kind of pull. :worship:

Hahahaha.

I'd file that under "Monkey at a keyboard".

QBME
02-01-2022, 04:49 PM
Per NFL Network, he gone.

Joemailman
02-01-2022, 05:13 PM
Per NFL Network, he gone.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?32271-Drayton-Fired:)

Sparkey
02-05-2022, 11:49 AM
https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1490009760074190854?t=4W1a22C5Jbk5gPe32wemKQ&s=19

Packers in discussion with Bisaccia for ST job.

texaspackerbacker
02-05-2022, 02:51 PM
I kinda feel bad because Drayton will be the fall guy but it seems to be a culture problem in Green Bay with special teams. Same thing with the O-line always getting bullied by physical teams come playoff time.

Good Post, Rookie. Some of the problem really is Drayton, though, I think.

Fritz
02-05-2022, 03:07 PM
https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1490009760074190854?t=4W1a22C5Jbk5gPe32wemKQ&s=19

Packers in discussion with Bisaccia for ST job.

Sign that bitchsaccia!

run pMc
02-05-2022, 04:01 PM
Agree some of the issues were personnel related, but I also think coaching was a big issue.
Not that it mattered, but how do you only have 10 men on the field on the last play of the game? How do you have vets like Lancaster on ST and not know how to basic blocking on FG attempts? How do you stock the right side of the line with 230 lb. guys (Davis, Barnes, McDuffie)? These are coaching points.

The failure of Henry Black to help out Wirtel, or Wirtel's poor technique helping Willis truck him back and block the punt I put more on execution and should be on the players/personnel.

I could begrudgingly tolerate if they had someone at KR who takes touchbacks and at PR who just made fair catches, it was the other stuff that was just awful... bad coverage, bad snaps/holds, bad blocking, players not lined up properly, putting MVS on the hands team for onside kicks (since when did we trust his hands?) ... there were things that just struck me as madness. AND THEY KEPT REPEATEDLY DOING IT.