View Full Version : Official Free Agency/Offseason/Non-Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 09:13 PM
Stafford to Rams

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 12m
Full terms of the deal: It’s Matthew Stafford to the #Rams for 2 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder, along with Jared Goff.

Sparkey
01-30-2021, 09:15 PM
With the haul Detroit just received for Stafford, what do the Texans get for Watson?

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 09:22 PM
Man, those Texans. They finished 4-12. They don't have a 1st round pick. Their starting QB doesn't want to play for them. They're 18 million over the cap. Other than that, everything's great.

Joemailman
01-30-2021, 10:54 PM
This now puts a lot of pressure on the 49ers. They now have the worst QB situation in their division. That is not a situation you want to be in. Just ask the Bears.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2021, 11:59 PM
Wow, I'm surprised he went to the Rams. I thought Goff was decent? I don't really watch much these days so perhaps something changed. Tough deal to sign a #1 pick to the contract then have to bail after, what, 5 years total?

texaspackerbacker
01-31-2021, 01:04 AM
I'd say Detroit cleaned up in this deal. Goff ain't horrible; He's what? 6 or 7 years younger than Stafford? Stafford has a bit of a tendency to get careless and throw picks - he's no Aaron Rodgers, not that anybody is. All of that plus 2 firsts and a 3rd. I'm sure the Lions will find a way to fuck it up over time, but in this trade, they did damn good.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-31-2021, 02:49 AM
This now puts a lot of pressure on the 49ers. They now have the worst QB situation in their division. That is not a situation you want to be in. Just ask the Bears.

69ers will trade “Polo” back to NE for a 1st, and then will trade 3 1sts to the Tex-asses for Watson.

You all read it here 1st.

Bretsky
01-31-2021, 11:57 AM
JJ Watt meeting with the Texans soon

Good chance be becomes available

Joemailman
01-31-2021, 12:07 PM
I would be cautious about offering Watt huge money. He's about to turn 32. He played in all 16 games in 2020, but his numbers were way down from his prime. He's still pretty good (14 TFL's), but injuries may have robbed him of greatness.

Upnorth
01-31-2021, 12:24 PM
I would be cautious about offering Watt huge money. He's about to turn 32. He played in all 16 games in 2020, but his numbers were way down from his prime. He's still pretty good (14 TFL's), but injuries may have robbed him of greatness.

Both his groin tears have reduced his capacity. He doesn't have the explosion he once had. I hope we steer clear of him unless we get an unbelievable deal

George Cumby
01-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Both his groin tears have reduced his capacity. He doesn't have the explosion he once had. I hope we steer clear of him unless we get an unbelievable deal

This.

George Cumby
01-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Stafford to Rams

Wow.

run pMc
01-31-2021, 05:11 PM
I'd say Detroit cleaned up in this deal. Goff ain't horrible; He's what? 6 or 7 years younger than Stafford? Stafford has a bit of a tendency to get careless and throw picks - he's no Aaron Rodgers, not that anybody is. All of that plus 2 firsts and a 3rd. I'm sure the Lions will find a way to fuck it up over time, but in this trade, they did damn good.

Agree Lions win this trade in terms of value -- a starting QB and 2 R1 picks is pretty good. Now, Rams expect to be drafting low in R1, but still. It also depends on what DET does with those picks. If they screw them up, the Rams are big winners.
In the short term, Stafford makes the Rams a much better team. Early in his career I thought he was an inaccurate cannon, and sometimes he still will have a horrible game, but he's turned into a good QB -- better than Goff. If he takes to McVay's system with their defense they are a legit contender.

Fritz
02-10-2021, 01:06 PM
Agree Lions win this trade in terms of value -- a starting QB and 2 R1 picks is pretty good. Now, Rams expect to be drafting low in R1, but still. It also depends on what DET does with those picks. If they screw them up, the Rams are big winners.
In the short term, Stafford makes the Rams a much better team. Early in his career I thought he was an inaccurate cannon, and sometimes he still will have a horrible game, but he's turned into a good QB -- better than Goff. If he takes to McVay's system with their defense they are a legit contender.

Agree with you and TPB on this.

I've been thinking about Linsley. I know he's a really good center, I love the guy, but there was a reason the Packers gave Lucas Patrick an extension last year and also drafted Stepaniak, who was apparently highly regarded prior to his injury. He did get to come back toward the end of the season and practice for a few weeks - I imagine they wanted a look-see to check whether he could take over for Linsley next season. I wonder what they saw.

But I think that Gute has been planning to not re-sign Linsley for some time now; he's got two players waiting in the wings.

run pMc
02-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Agree with you and TPB on this.

I've been thinking about Linsley. I know he's a really good center, I love the guy, but there was a reason the Packers gave Lucas Patrick an extension last year and also drafted Stepaniak, who was apparently highly regarded prior to his injury. He did get to come back toward the end of the season and practice for a few weeks - I imagine they wanted a look-see to check whether he could take over for Linsley next season. I wonder what they saw.

But I think that Gute has been planning to not re-sign Linsley for some time now; he's got two players waiting in the wings.

Four, if you include Elgton Jenkins and Jake Hanson (4 year center from Oregon, drafted last year). I see some national publications saying GB needs a C or G, but I don't. They have guys in house already who can -- and have -- done the job before. Not saying they can do it as well as Linsley, but I bet they can do better than Evan Dietrich-Smith or Jeff Saturday.

And for the record, I think they should leave Elgton Jenkins at LG to form a solid left side with Bahk to protect Rodgers and help the run game. He seems to be excelling there, quit moving him around and let him be an All-Pro.

Hadn't thought of Stepaniak as a C, I think they could slide Patrick over to C and put Runyan or Stepaniak in at RG. From what I've heard, that's where he's good, and while he isn't very mobile he's super strong.

GB-Brandon
02-11-2021, 11:36 AM
Now Russell Wilson is under Trade Speculation. The league is becoming like the NBA where players can just talk their way out of teams.

texaspackerbacker
02-11-2021, 01:01 PM
I read an article about Richard Sherman being a free agent. He likely would be fairly cheap, and I'd say if he has anything left in the tank at all, he'd be an upgrade from Kevin King. Patrick Peterson is also a free agent, but I suppose he's too much to hope for - too expensive.

GB-Brandon
02-11-2021, 01:25 PM
I read an article about Richard Sherman being a free agent. He likely would be fairly cheap, and I'd say if he has anything left in the tank at all, he'd be an upgrade from Kevin King. Patrick Peterson is also a free agent, but I suppose he's too much to hope for - too expensive.

These guys are what I call the “Free Agency Trap” and where I don’t like using free agency. Big Name Guys with injury issues that are declining rapidly. Sherman isn’t coming to Green Bay and the Packers should not sign him for various reasons. Peterson is Toast!!

GB-Brandon
02-11-2021, 01:29 PM
Sherman is most likely going to sign a deal with Seattle and finish there.

MadtownPacker
02-11-2021, 09:10 PM
Watt would be just like that one fucking wasted LB from Jacksonville, can’t recall name right now. Whole lotta nothing. Same with Sherman. I think if a trade was going to be done I would side with Brandon and get WR. I think the defense as it stands could be better next year.

MadtownPacker
02-11-2021, 09:51 PM
Now Russell Wilson is under Trade Speculation. The league is becoming like the NBA where players can just talk their way out of teams.Rodgers for Wilson and DK? I would do it.

Upnorth
02-12-2021, 06:43 AM
Rodgers for Wilson and DK? I would do it.

I think I would as well. Metcalf could be a perennial all pro.

Then we can still address corner. Plus I am reading the wr depth in the draft this year is even better than last year so we might get another amazing day wr.

( I love make believe)

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Russel Wilson isn’t the answer to our problems. I’ll just leave it at that.

Rodgers would never play for the Seahawks.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 09:15 AM
Watt would be just like that one fucking wasted LB from Jacksonville, can’t recall name right now. Whole lotta nothing. Same with Sherman. I think if a trade was going to be done I would side with Brandon and get WR. I think the defense as it stands could be better next year.

I’d lay $ right now the Packers sign Watt and I absolutely hate it!!

Upnorth
02-12-2021, 09:44 AM

Watt on the cheap (like 3-4 mil) would be worth it imo. He isnt what he was but he is like Lowry plus m Adams times 2 for less.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Watt on the cheap (like 3-4 mil) would be worth it imo. He isnt what he was but he is like Lowry plus m Adams times 2 for less.

If it’s a Vet Minimum type deal or what your describing here then yes absolutely sign him up. He asked for his release and was wearing a “Wisconsin Sweater.” This might be the plan!

We might finally catch a break.

George Cumby
02-12-2021, 02:33 PM

Fuck yes.

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2021, 05:02 PM
Any talk of trading Rodgers for anyone or anything is just plain stupid. The Packers go right in the toilet if that happens, regardless of anything else.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Especially Russell Wilson. Talk about Yuck! He has never even won in Lambeau and his ball doesn’t cut wind here.

It’s becoming clear some people hate Rodgers so much they would rather just destroy this team!

Kinda Like “Brian Gutekunst”!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2021, 11:49 PM

He's going to get much more than that. Hell, guys like Dean Lowry get that. I'm guessing he'll get more than $10M/year. He's not Hall of Fame good anymore, but he still had an 85.5 PFF grade.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsNA0ZYXEAAB2xg?format=jpg&name=large

MadtownPacker
02-13-2021, 12:11 AM
Any talk of trading Rodgers for anyone or anything is just plain stupid. The Packers go right in the toilet if that happens, regardless of anything else.He didn’t win anything more than Wilson did this last season did he? While not going to happen My example was to see what Rodgers fans (not Packers fans) would say since agitating is getting real popular on here.

MadtownPacker
02-13-2021, 12:21 AM
Especially Russell Wilson. Talk about Yuck! He has never even won in Lambeau and his ball doesn’t cut wind here.

It’s becoming clear some people hate Rodgers so much they would rather just destroy this team!

Kinda Like “Brian Gutekunst”!!!!!I have never liked Rodgers the person and have always said it. Last I checked the GM is a higher entity in the organization so I doubt he is trying to destroy a back to back NFCC team. But you know that and are just trying to get a reaction. Here it is.

You are acting fucking stupid and I have allowed it because you haven’t done any harm but you are rubbing a lot of posters the wrong way. It is going to stop today, right now. You don’t dominate shit MFer with repeated post hammering whatever dribble you feel like spewing. You aren’t breaking any rules but bad news we don’t really have any rules here. So simmer the fuck down.

Vincenzo
02-13-2021, 12:57 AM
Don’t know why you can’t be just cool like the majority of the dudes around this place, Brandon.....try and chill out for a bit.

King Friday
02-13-2021, 08:57 AM
Fuck yes.

Wilson, DK and Adams? Dear God. Obviously it would never happen, but that would be incredible.

Fritz
02-13-2021, 10:38 AM
I'd do it in a minute. But Seattle would never make such a dumb trade.

KYPack
02-13-2021, 10:45 AM
I have never liked Rodgers the person and have always said it. Last I checked the GM is a higher entity in the organization so I doubt he is trying to destroy a back to back NFCC team. But you know that and are just trying to get a reaction. Here it is.

You are acting fucking stupid and I have allowed it because you haven’t done any harm but you are rubbing a lot of posters the wrong way. It is going to stop today, right now. You don’t dominate shit MFer with repeated post hammering whatever dribble you feel like spewing. You aren’t breaking any rules but bad news we don’t really have any rules here. So simmer the fuck down.

Thx Mad.

This guy is like a boil on the butt of the forum. When you are walking around he's OK. But when you sit at your keyboard, he's a pain in the ass.

smuggler
02-13-2021, 11:03 AM
I don't see the appeal on Seattle's end or appeal for Rodgers to go to Seattle.

GB-Brandon
02-13-2021, 12:00 PM
I don’t know.

https://twitter.com/hailrodgers12_/status/1360365329327788035?s=21

hoosier
02-13-2021, 01:35 PM
Thx Mad.

This guy is like a boil on the butt of the forum. When you are walking around he's OK. But when you sit at your keyboard, he's a pain in the ass.

I always thought boil on the butt was just a urban myth, a tall tale good for scaring the kids. Are you saying it is actually a thing?

KYPack
02-13-2021, 02:01 PM
I always thought boil on the butt was just a urban myth, a tall tale good for scaring the kids. Are you saying it is actually a thing?

Yeah man. A boil on your butt is a pain in the ass.

They don't have butt boils in Indiana?

George Cumby
02-13-2021, 08:08 PM
For those, like me, who are unwise in the ways of science:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/boils#1

Jaire
02-13-2021, 10:22 PM
Seattle is a waaaaay worse situation than GB. They've been trending down since 2014 and won't change until Carrol is gone.

Russell is only just figuring that out.

GBs only problem is we have no answer for teams like the Niners (2019), Bucs (2020), Giants (2011). The easy answer is fix the D which is only one big piece away. Offense would require a whole different philosophy, and ain't gonna happen. Chiefs just ran into the same roadblock.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 08:26 AM
Seattle is a waaaaay worse situation than GB. They've been trending down since 2014 and won't change until Carrol is gone.

Russell is only just figuring that out.

GBs only problem is we have no answer for teams like the Niners (2019), Bucs (2020), Giants (2011). The easy answer is fix the D which is only one big piece away. Offense would require a whole different philosophy, and ain't gonna happen. Chiefs just ran into the same roadblock.

I’ve been hearing this for “Ten Years” though. If there ever was a “Boil on the buttocks” it’s been the Packers defense. Maybe getting JJ Watt will help and work. Although, with 10 plus years of straight disappointments anything is hardly an “Easy Answer.” Now you add Joe Barry and I wouldn’t call anything a Slam Dunk!

Upnorth
02-14-2021, 09:26 AM

I think this belongs in fyi more. Annoying butt hurts just reminds me of the political system.

bobblehead
02-14-2021, 10:50 AM

Rodgers to the Jets for the #2 over all and Quentin Williams. Use the #2 on Sewell (or Chase so Love has more WR help and just to piss off Brandon!!)

With that move you just shored up both lines big time, solved a lot of cap issues and moved into the next era. If you still think Love is your QB of the future thats the move.

bobblehead
02-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Any talk of trading FAVRE for anyone or anything is just plain stupid. The Packers go right in the toilet if that happens, regardless of anything else.

fify

bobblehead
02-14-2021, 10:57 AM
Thx Mad.

Most guys, when proven so epically wrong slink away. Not Brandon. He doubles down on stupid. He is the only idiot who has been here, been proven completely wrong, and not left on his own. As I said, he is only the 2nd person I ever blocked, and the 1st one I unblocked after a month.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 11:29 AM
If we get a No.2 then we get Devante in this situation at will.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1360786094154002432

Which makes the offense more or less unbeatable even against the really good defenses.

Sign: DL JJ Watt & WR Corey Davis

Those should be the two Do Or Die Signings that can have the biggest impact on the 2021 Season improving the roster the most! They would provide the biggest bang for the buck.

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 12:01 PM
Rodgers to the Jets for the #2 over all and Quentin Williams. Use the #2 on Sewell (or Chase so Love has more WR help and just to piss off Brandon!!)

With that move you just shored up both lines big time, solved a lot of cap issues and moved into the next era. If you still think Love is your QB of the future thats the move.

I would want one more first and I’d like to see that play out

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2021, 05:21 AM
fify

Fuck that. There ought to be a forum rule against shit like this.

Favre was the GOAT until Rodgers surpassed him.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 09:40 AM
Shouldn’t we wait and let Jordan Love show that he can beat out Boyle and actually suit up on Game Day before we start projecting the “Love Era”?

Massive J
02-16-2021, 11:48 PM
Shouldn’t we wait and let Jordan Love show that he can beat out Boyle and actually suit up on Game Day before we start projecting the “Love Era”?
He will.

Bretsky
02-17-2021, 09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0v6eN9XDtQ

smuggler
02-18-2021, 12:01 PM
I always laugh at the oblivious ignorance of comparing the twilights of #4 and #12 as if they're apples to apples.

Rodgers has been less malcontent than Favre in an era of drastically increased transparency to those things. And, most importantly, the Packers had *Aaron fucking Rodgers* in the Favre scenario and he was actually ready to start. The first of those two things will 99.999% never be true of Love and the second probably needs at least one more year, if it ever happens.

call_me_ishmael
02-19-2021, 11:04 AM
I always laugh at the oblivious ignorance of comparing the twilights of #4 and #12 as if they're apples to apples.

Rodgers has been less malcontent than Favre in an era of drastically increased transparency to those things. And, most importantly, the Packers had *Aaron fucking Rodgers* in the Favre scenario and he was actually ready to start. The first of those two things will 99.999% never be true of Love and the second probably needs at least one more year, if it ever happens.

Very good point. I do think Favre would have finished his career with the Packers if Rodgers was Akili Smith and not AFR.

Fritz
02-19-2021, 01:26 PM

This would be a great scenario if we were another year into the Jordan Love experiment. You'd have a year to give him backup reps, training camp, all of that - see what you've got. If you do think he's going to be all that and a bag of peanuts, then yes, you'd make this move.

But right now I don't think they know what they've got with this guy. Remember, Rodgers didn't start for three years, and when he did, he looked a little shaky for that first half-season or so. It's just too risky.

bobblehead
02-24-2021, 11:34 AM
I would want one more first and I’d like to see that play out

Well, quintan was #3 I think overall and current is #2. Quintan bonus is all paid up as an added incentive. Getting 2 top 3 picks for Rodgers would be enough in my humble opinion.

bobblehead
02-24-2021, 11:38 AM
Fuck that. There ought to be a forum rule against shit like this.

Rodgers was the GOAT until Love surpassed him.

fify

bobblehead
02-24-2021, 11:49 AM

Hopefully you understand that I'm just pushing buttons. I want Rodgers for the remainder of his contract if he buys into the offense and plays like he did this year (although I would still love an answer to who abandoned the run in the 4th quarter of the NFCC).

I understand all the comparisons. I get the likelihood of following Rodgers with another HoF QB is slim. But I also get that Rodgers is acting a little butt hurt after NOT buying into the offense in season one. Just like Favre refused to stay in shape in the offseason and refused to participate in fat mikes offseason activities. He talked retirement every year.

So, in conclusion, last year after Rodgers refused to run the offense the way Flower designed it we drafted Love and Rodgers responded as hoped. After drafting Rodgers Favre continued to be a whiny pussy and retired only to attempt to return at the last second. He then spent the better part of 2 seasons doing exactly what GB begged him to do...avoiding late over the middle throws, working out in the offseason. Then in the biggest moment he reverted to his old self.

Again, I don't know who abandoned the run in the biggest moment, but history suggests it was AR12, not Flower. If it was, I wouldn't blame them one iota if they trade him for a nice bounty. Naturally we rejected the rams offer as any 1st would be a late pick and taking Goffs absurd contract was a necessity of any deal. But I firmly believe that if someone came with the right offer team Gutes would pull the trigger while the round is live.

texaspackerbacker
02-24-2021, 01:55 PM
fify

Tnx

GB-Brandon
02-24-2021, 03:37 PM
Hopefully you understand that I'm just pushing buttons. I want Rodgers for the remainder of his contract if he buys into the offense and plays like he did this year (although I would still love an answer to who abandoned the run in the 4th quarter of the NFCC).

I understand all the comparisons. I get the likelihood of following Rodgers with another HoF QB is slim. But I also get that Rodgers is acting a little butt hurt after NOT buying into the offense in season one. Just like Favre refused to stay in shape in the offseason and refused to participate in fat mikes offseason activities. He talked retirement every year.

So, in conclusion, last year after Rodgers refused to run the offense the way Flower designed it we drafted Love and Rodgers responded as hoped. After drafting Rodgers Favre continued to be a whiny pussy and retired only to attempt to return at the last second. He then spent the better part of 2 seasons doing exactly what GB begged him to do...avoiding late over the middle throws, working out in the offseason. Then in the biggest moment he reverted to his old self.

Again, I don't know who abandoned the run in the biggest moment, but history suggests it was AR12, not Flower. If it was, I wouldn't blame them one iota if they trade him for a nice bounty. Naturally we rejected the rams offer as any 1st would be a late pick and taking Goffs absurd contract was a necessity of any deal. But I firmly believe that if someone came with the right offer team Gutes would pull the trigger while the round is live.

If their not gonna extend him giving the team Max cap relief and support him and the offense correctly then YES Gute should “Pull The Triggger” and make a trade. 1000 Percent!!! End it Now!!

Gute should go show everyone what a GENIUS he really is!!

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 01:06 PM
Here is another cheap option although I would prefer James White if they went that direction.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1365356323081175045?s=21

It won’t hard to fill the spot!!

Joemailman
03-03-2021, 05:45 PM
Saints releasing Jared Cook. Just the start of the purge in New Orleans.

RashanGary
03-03-2021, 06:42 PM

There will be a lot of free agents this year. We should sign one im guessing

QBME
03-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Admittedly off topic, but things have seemed to be a bit less manic, less crazy train around here the past couple, three days.

Can't seem to put my finger on it.

KYPack
03-03-2021, 07:50 PM
Admittedly off topic, but things have seemed to be a bit less manic, less crazy train around here the past couple, three days.

Can't seem to put my finger on it.

The problem with crazy assholes is they make everyone else crazy too.

Joemailman
03-03-2021, 08:36 PM
Giants release Golden Tate and LB David Mayo.

KYPack
03-03-2021, 10:51 PM
Picked up on some new facts that mean these next couple weeks are going to be pretty chaotic in the NFL.

The salary cap number should come in btw 180 - 182 million. There had been hope that the number would be higher, but it looks like no soap, 182 seems to be the best guess on the cap.

An NFL coach (as yet un-named) has stated the next week will see a "massacre" of established players being cut.

The number for franchise tagging a running back will probably be 11 million. That would mean the Packers will probably not franchise RB Aaron Jones.

Along those lines, it was stated that in a simple restructuring of salary does not need the player to agree to those financial manipulations. That would apply to the Pack if they converted portions of Aaron Rodgers deal.

Exactly what this all means is still totally up in the air, but stay tuned as there will be a whole lotta shakin going on at 1265 Lombardi ave. in the near future.

Joemailman
03-03-2021, 11:16 PM
Picked up on some new facts that mean these next couple weeks are going to be pretty chaotic in the NFL.

The salary cap number should come in btw 180 - 182 million. There had been hope that the number would be higher, but it looks like no soap, 182 seems to be the best guess on the cap.

An NFL coach (as yet un-named) has stated the next week will see a "massacre" of established players being cut.

The number for franchise tagging a running back will probably be 11 million. That would mean the Packers will probably not franchise RB Aaron Jones.

Along those lines, it was stated that in a simple restructuring of salary does not need the player to agree to those financial manipulations. That would apply to the Pack if they converted portions of Aaron Rodgers deal.

Exactly what this all means is still totally up in the air, but stay tuned as there will be a whole lotta shakin going on at 1265 Lombardi ave. in the near future.

Some people have been reporting that the franchise tag numbers will be lower due to the salary cap being lower. If it's the case, the franchise tag for RB's would be just over 8 million. I don't know which is right.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/2/2/22261903/nfl-2021-offseason-salary-cap-coronavirus-franchise-tag-patriots

MadtownPacker
03-03-2021, 11:19 PM
I hate his ass but get Tate.

RashanGary
03-04-2021, 07:07 AM
I think we need a utility DL. Or maybe even Jurel Casey at a somewhat affordable price. Our DL just isn’t stout enough.

bobblehead
03-04-2021, 11:32 AM

Wait...I thought the cap could just be cooked and you never had to pay the price for kicking it forward.

bobblehead
03-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Kinda what I've been saying. Pack should demand Preston take a pay cut. Same with Amos. Should never have Given Bak that deal. Cut Turner or demand a cut. There will be talent galore available to the GM who is smart in cherry picking guys.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2021, 04:07 PM
Kinda what I've been saying. Pack should demand Preston take a pay cut. Same with Amos. Should never have Given Bak that deal. Cut Turner or demand a cut. There will be talent galore available to the GM who is smart in cherry picking guys.

No need to do all of this. Preston? Yes. Amos? No. Turner? Unlikely. You have to consider the cap savings compared to how much it would cost to find a replacement. They could probably get a third OLB for Preston’s savings of $8m. They aren’t going to find a decent starting RT for the $3.9m they’d save on Turner and a decent starting S for the little over 4m they’d save on Amos. Amos was good last year. Both guys are candidates for restructures though. If they cut P. Smith, restructure Rodgers and Z. Smith, cut Lowry, and extend Adams, they’ll be in good shape.

They have higher needs (OT, CB, DL) in the draft, so you can’t say just draft somebody.

Joemailman
03-04-2021, 05:33 PM
Lions releasing CB Desmond Trufant one year after signing him. He played in just 6 games for the Lions last year. He's been hurt a lot playing in a total of 15 games over the last 2 seasons.

RashanGary
03-04-2021, 09:13 PM
No need to do all of this. Preston? Yes. Amos? No. Turner? Unlikely. You have to consider the cap savings compared to how much it would cost to find a replacement. They could probably get a third OLB for Preston’s savings of $8m. They aren’t going to find a decent starting RT for the $3.9m they’d save on Turner and a decent starting S for the little over 4m they’d save on Amos. Amos was good last year. Both guys are candidates for restructures though. If they cut P. Smith, restructure Rodgers and Z. Smith, cut Lowry, and extend Adams, they’ll be in good shape.

They have higher needs (OT, CB, DL) in the draft, so you can’t say just draft somebody.

This

Tony Oday
03-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Rumor out of KFAN that Kyle Rudolph might be moving to GB and be his golf buddy's Red Zone target along with Big Bob.

bobblehead
03-05-2021, 12:50 PM

I think you are going to be shocked at the number of guys who are looking for work in July. Guys who you don't dream will sign a 1 year for $4 million right now. And maybe pride will keep them on the sidelines for a season and then I'm wrong, but end of the day I think they sign 1 year deals and play prove it. I think replacing Amos for cheap is easy. Signing Bak to a huge deal was mistake 1. Compounded by his injury. Bottom line though, the cap has gone down. A lot of teams HAVE to cut good players. We are trying to kick it down the road because Rodgers is still here and getting older. I'm not sure it gives us any better chance to win in the now than getting under the cap and bargain hunting.

Guiness
03-05-2021, 03:04 PM
Some people have been reporting that the franchise tag numbers will be lower due to the salary cap being lower. If it's the case, the franchise tag for RB's would be just over 8 million. I don't know which is right.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/2/2/22261903/nfl-2021-offseason-salary-cap-coronavirus-franchise-tag-patriots

Learned something new today, I didn't know some tags were affected by the salary cap.

Following your link, it appears only the non-exclusive tag is impacted by the salary cap

the number for each position is determined by taking the sum of the non-exclusive franchise tags as determined by the original methodology for the previous five seasons and dividing by the sum of the actual NFL salary cap amount for the previous five seasons. The resulting percentage, which is known as the Cap Percentage Average in the CBA, is then multiplied by the actual salary cap for the upcoming league year.
The 'original methodology' is the average of the top 5 highest salary caps numbers at that position or 120% of the player's previous year's salary. The transition tag is similar, except the top 10 salaries are used.

It appears the exclusive tag is not affected by the current year's salary cap though:

Under the exclusive franchise tag, a player will receive a one year offer from his team that is the greater of the average of the top five salaries at his position once the restricted free agent signing period of the current league year has ended (April 23 for 2021) or 120 percent of his prior year's salary.
No mention of the salary cap.

This has some interesting implications. Teams against the cap might be more likely to use the non-exclusive tag, where in the past they would've opted for the exclusive tag since there wasn't previously much difference. This year there could be 10% or more of a difference so there could be premiere players available (albeit for the cost of 2 first round picks).

Upnorth
03-06-2021, 12:08 PM
If we can restructures enough intelligently and create cap room I think nelson algahor(sp?) Could be a great compliment. Imagine him and mvs streaking down field with Adams and Lazard staying in. I also think he will be affordable this year. Then we can sink every draft pick into d except a late rd rb or two.

texaspackerbacker
03-06-2021, 05:56 PM
Rudolph is a good player, but probably expensive. He's almost as good a blocker as Marcedes Lewis, and probably a little better receiver. The problem is he would cost a lot more. I'd rather have Marcedes and the money. We absolutely don't need both along with all our other TEs.

Upnorth
03-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Don't know if this has been posted already

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/05/report-packers-approached-qb-aaron-rodgers-about-contract-restructure-in-january/

We have discussed this here quite a bit. Nice to see gute and his team are in front of things.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Not sure where this belongs, but I was looking at the stats of Brandin Cooks. The guy has already played for four teams. He has 1,000 yard seasons with all four. Different QBs, different systems. Doesn't matter. Every year that he's played at least 15 games he has had a 1,000 yard season. Not sure why he keeps bouncing around. Maybe a victim of circumstance. He has benefitted from some good QBs (Brees, Brady, Goff, and Watson), but that isn't easy to do. Going on his 8th year in the league and he'll still only be 27 at the start of the season.

Upnorth
03-08-2021, 05:59 AM
Not sure where this belongs, but I was looking at the stats of Brandin Cooks. The guy has already played for four teams. He has 1,000 yard seasons with all four. Different QBs, different systems. Doesn't matter. Every year that he's played at least 15 games he has had a 1,000 yard season. Not sure why he keeps bouncing around. Maybe a victim of circumstance. He has benefitted from some good QBs (Brees, Brady, Goff, and Watson), but that isn't easy to do. Going on his 8th year in the league and he'll still only be 27 at the start of the season.

Good catch. His ypc is trending down. Maybe a function of brees arm or the system. Also he is still under contract so are you just impressed?

Joemailman
03-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Tweet
See new Tweets
Tweet
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
52m
A storyline to follow going forward: If the official salary cap number doesn’t come today and soon, NFL will have to move back the deadline to franchise tag players from Tuesday. It’s a situation several GMs are bracing for and would further stall business for a bit.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/3/8/22319308/nfl-may-extend-franchise-tag-deadline-if-no-salary-cap-number-finalized-monday-packers-aaron-jones

Ultimately, it’s more the cap space question than the tag number question that will be vexing teams, the Packers included. According to projections from Sports Illustrated, the running back franchise tag amount differs by less than a quarter-million dollars if the cap ends up at $180 million vs. $185 million:

$180 million cap: $8.54 million tag
$183 million cap: $8.68 million tag
$185 million cap: $8.78 million tag
It’s that cap space question that is the much bigger factor. The Packers would be $11.93 million over a $180 million cap, but if the number comes in at $185 million, Green Bay would only be $6.93 million over. That difference would be notable in terms of how much cap money the Packers would need to free up via cuts or roster extensions. In other words, the Packers would need to clear the following minimum amount of cap space in each of the three cap scenarios above to be able to keep Jones around on the tag (and note that this does not account for any other signings):

$180M cap: $20.5 million
$183M cap: $17.6 million
$185M cap: $15.7 million

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2021, 02:20 AM
Good catch. His ypc is trending down. Maybe a function of brees arm or the system. Also he is still under contract so are you just impressed?

Yes. I think he'd be a good fit, but he's not coming here.

Nothing to do with Cooks, but if we go FA WR, I've settled on thinking Curtis Samuel is the perfect fit for this team. Not sure how much money he'll get though.

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2021, 02:23 AM

Not sure it's trending down. His ypc last year was the same as his career ypc. It's more the function of the QB. His ypc was highest with Tom Brady (good deep ball passer), lowest with Drew Brees (noodle arm), and close to career average with Watson and Goff.

Joemailman
03-11-2021, 09:32 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/11/saints-to-release-janoris-jenkins/

The Saints’ push to get under the salary cap will continue with the departure of cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

According to multiple reports, the Saints will release Jenkins. The move comes a day after word of their plans to release wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders and linebacker Kwon Alexander came to light.

Jenkins was set to make a $10 million salary in 2021 with a cap number of $14.2 million. The Saints will see $7 million in cap savings as a result of the move.

Jenkins had 55 tackles and three interceptions last season. He returned one of the interceptions for the ninth touchdown of his NFL career.
Played just 1 year of a 2 year contract after being waived by Giants in December 2019.

Fritz
03-11-2021, 09:48 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/11/saints-to-release-janoris-jenkins/

Played just 1 year of a 2 year contract after being waived by Giants in December 2019.

Maybe the Saints will sign Kevin King as a replacement. Two years, $475 per game.

Joemailman
03-11-2021, 12:29 PM
Chiefs releasing starting OT's Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz. https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-releasing-ots-eric-fisher-mitchell-schwartz

Both players missed the Superb Owl with injuries. Schwartz recently had back surgery. Chiefs saved about 18M on the cap with the 2 moves. They're still 4.4M over the cap.

Joemailman
03-11-2021, 12:44 PM
Not sure it's trending down. His ypc last year was the same as his career ypc. It's more the function of the QB. His ypc was highest with Tom Brady (good deep ball passer), lowest with Drew Brees (noodle arm), and close to career average with Watson and Goff.

Cooks is staying with Texans on a restructured contract.

Zool
03-11-2021, 01:28 PM
Maybe the Saints will sign Kevin King as a replacement. Two years, $475 per game.

Kinda high isn't it? I was thinking minimum wage.

Fritz
03-11-2021, 02:11 PM

Clearly we differ in our assessment of his value.

Upnorth
03-11-2021, 04:37 PM

NFL minimum wage or federal? Two different tax brackets there

Zool
03-11-2021, 04:42 PM

Federal. I'd even give him the $15/hour. Maybe he could work for tips too? Make a tackle, here's a fiver. Knock down a pass, $20.

Upnorth
03-11-2021, 08:05 PM
Federal. I'd even give him the $15/hour. Maybe he could work for tips too? Make a tackle, here's a fiver. Knock down a pass, $20.

Slippery slope. Next thing you know bounty gate.

call_me_ishmael
03-11-2021, 08:13 PM
Yes. I think he'd be a good fit, but he's not coming here.

Nothing to do with Cooks, but if we go FA WR, I've settled on thinking Curtis Samuel is the perfect fit for this team. Not sure how much money he'll get though.

That was me last off-season where he would have costed an R4 or R5! He’s soo fast and perfect in this system.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-12-2021, 04:14 AM

I ain’t no Debbie Downer, but King is a dues paying member of the powerful NFLPA. He either will make ZERO (not on a team) or the AT LEAST the minimum for vets of NFL wars with his accrued seasonings.

Joemailman
03-12-2021, 09:33 AM
Saints are releasing DT Malcolm Brown which will save 4.9 million on the cap, and restructuring Michael Thomas' contract which will save 8.7million. They're getting there.

Joemailman
03-12-2021, 11:51 AM
Christian Kirksey agrees to 1 year contract with Texans worth up to 4.5M. No details .

Fritz
03-13-2021, 06:15 AM
Christian Kirksey agrees to 1 year contract with Texans worth up to 4.5M. No details .

Packers going to let Tim Boyle walk. Looks like he'll go elsewhere, as the Packers' cap situation will not allow them to pay him enough to stay on as the #3.

I think the guy is going to be a very good #2 QB somewhere, by all accounts. Geez I hope Love looks better than the Seneca Wallaces and Brent Hudleys of the world did, back a few years ago. Nothing worse than a shitshow at backup QB.

Like any boil, I think we'll remember Tim.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2021, 09:14 AM
Packers going to let Tim Boyle walk. Looks like he'll go elsewhere, as the Packers' cap situation will not allow them to pay him enough to stay on as the #3.

I think the guy is going to be a very good #2 QB somewhere, by all accounts. Geez I hope Love looks better than the Seneca Wallaces and Brent Hudleys of the world did, back a few years ago. Nothing worse than a shitshow at backup QB.

I don't think it has much to do with the salary cap. It's only $2.1M to tender an RFA. If they wanted him (or better yet, if they didn't have Love), they could keep him.

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2021, 11:30 AM

Like any boil, he just might come back even if he didn't get the tender. I doubt we go with nobody beyond Rodgers and Love, so we probably would need to pay some scrap heap QB, and Boyle wouldn't cost much more than that.

Upnorth
03-13-2021, 12:06 PM
We keep love because it would be stupid not to. I bet we draft a qb in 2nd or 3rd to replace Boyle.

We need to keep a long term outlook. I would rather have 10 or 15 years of competing every year than a 1 and done sb appearance. I became a packers fan around 77. As a teen I was convinced majik was the second coming .
Seriously I much prefer every year mostly mattering to one year of glory.

Date a stripper or marry quality.

RashanGary
03-13-2021, 02:58 PM
We keep love because it would be stupid not to. I bet we draft a qb in 2nd or 3rd to replace Boyle.

We need to keep a long term outlook. I would rather have 10 or 15 years of competing every year than a 1 and done sb appearance. I became a packers fan around 77. As a teen I was convinced majik was the second coming .

This too

Upnorth
03-13-2021, 05:03 PM
I think once adams and z are restructured we could get Desmond king or Mike Hilton which would allow us to trade up and get a defensive interior in the draft of higher quality.
Then maybe wr in second rd. Heck we might even be able to find a good #2 cheap this year. The go dl 1st ol 2nd qb 3rd in draft.

Joemailman
03-13-2021, 06:21 PM
Bears are 23M over the cap and have Foles at QB. Wonder what they'll do to get under. Probably looking to extend Allen Robinson and maybe restructure Mack's contract. Mack has a cap number of almost 27M this year.

RashanGary
03-13-2021, 06:53 PM
What about the Vikings. How’s their cap looking

George Cumby
03-13-2021, 07:57 PM
We keep love because it would be stupid not to.

To your first point: exactly.

To your second: can't it be both?

Upnorth
03-13-2021, 08:43 PM
To your first point: exactly.

To your second: can't it be both?

In this senario marrying a quality stripper is mahomes I think. 10 yr contract on a young stud. Hurts a bit now but will look great at the end

Joemailman
03-13-2021, 10:11 PM
What about the Vikings. How’s their cap looking

They've got about 5M in cap space. They released OT Riley Rieff, K Dan Bailey and TE Kyle Rudolph.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2021, 11:24 PM

Maybe not in the 2nd or 3rd round, but they should keep drafting QBs. Ron Wolf:

1992 - Traded a 1st for Brett Favre and drafted Ty Detmer
1993 - Drafted Mark Brunell
1995 - Drafted Jay Barker
1996 - Drafted Kyle Wachholtz
1998 - Drafted Matt Hasselbeck
1999 - Drafted Aaron Brooks

Ted Thompson only drafted 2 QBs in his last 10 drafts. Gutekunst should get back to the Ron Wolf philosophy. Some times they miss, but sometimes they hit big-time.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 10:55 AM
The "legal tampering" period begins today. Teams can begin negotiations with players who will become UFA's on 3-17. New league year starts at 4PM ET on 3-17. I believe teams must be under salary cap by then.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 11:37 AM
Shaq Barrett staying with Bucs on 4 year, 72M deal. 36M guaranteed.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 12:00 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman
· 6m
The Packers are not tendering restricted free agent safety Raven Greene, per source. He'll be an unrestricted free agent.

Good player when healthy, but that's not often enough. Worth trying to bring him back, but not worth tendering.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2021, 01:53 PM
Assuming the Z restructure takes care of the Jones money and then some, we should be ahead of the cap by a few million right now with Rodgers and D. Adams deals still to be done, putting us a lot farther ahead of the cap. Of our own FAs, the only ones even remotely likely for significant money are Linsley and J. Williams. That leaves a helluva lot of money to go after whoever at whatever position. My guess would be a good quality Corner and maybe some D Line help.

Teamcheez1
03-15-2021, 04:01 PM
Lindsey rumored to be signing with the Chargers as the highest paid center in football.

Sparkey
03-15-2021, 04:39 PM
Lindsey rumored to be signing with the Chargers as the highest paid center in football.
5 years 62.5 million

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 04:40 PM
5 years 62.5 million

Is that enough for a 3rd round comp pick? I'm thinking 4th.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2021, 05:30 PM
Is that enough for a 3rd round comp pick? I'm thinking 4th.

4th

Rutnstrut
03-15-2021, 07:22 PM

Dumb move by GB. Don't give that shit about centers being easy to replace, they are not. This will get Rodgers hurt this season.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 07:42 PM
Dumb move by GB. Don't give that shit about centers being easy to replace, they are not. This will get Rodgers hurt this season.

Packers have a pretty good track record. Scott Wells 7th round. J.C. Tretter 4th round. Linsley 5th round.

Tony Oday
03-15-2021, 07:57 PM
East to replace a Center, more scared of Bahk not being back.

Bretsky
03-15-2021, 09:31 PM
COREY DAVIS.....3 YEAR 37.5 MILLION TO THE J.E.T.S. JETS JETS JETS

Bretsky
03-15-2021, 09:34 PM
Jumpin on the wagon now with HW................CURTIS SAMUELS..........probably a pipe dream but DAM it would be NICE

Guiness
03-15-2021, 09:56 PM

risky click of the day

Bretsky
03-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Given Will Fuller's issues, would not surprise me if GB makes a run at a cost effective 1 or 2 year deal either.

red
03-15-2021, 10:47 PM
we have no cap space to sign anyone

we are at least whatever jones is counting over the cap

Bretsky
03-15-2021, 10:50 PM

Extend Rodgers; soften the cap hit.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2021, 11:09 PM
I'm all for spending that cashola now because the Rodgers window is gonna close in the next few years most likely, and assuming it takes a year or two for Love to settle in, they'll have ample time to cover any bad cap etiquette. To quote the late Kevin Green, it is time.

Call me Texico Jr though because I think Rodgers could dominate the league and play for a long time if he commit to sitting in the pocket and delivering the ball very quickly on schedule. I really do think his best games are when he's immobile - see Playoffs 2015 and Bears game 2019.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2021, 11:43 PM

Z's extension will clear up enough space for the Jones contract. Extending Adams and restructuring Rodgers could free up $20M more.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2021, 12:01 AM
I'm all for spending that cashola now because the Rodgers window is gonna close in the next few years most likely, and assuming it takes a year or two for Love to settle in, they'll have ample time to cover any bad cap etiquette. To quote the late Kevin Green, it is time.

Call me Texico Jr though because I think Rodgers could dominate the league and play for a long time if he commit to sitting in the pocket and delivering the ball very quickly on schedule. I really do think his best games are when he's immobile - see Playoffs 2015 and Bears game 2019.

hahahaha If you were my son, CMI, I'd have raised you better.

Rodgers is as mobile as he needs to be. If he stays in the pocket, it's because the O Line is doing its job. The fact that doesn't happen more supports what I always say about the O Line. The fact we almost always win anyway supports what I say about the importance of the O Line or lack of it.

Harvey, you nailed it. It's surprising so few others seem to get it like you and I do (or maybe I should say you and I and Gutekunst). I listen to those podcasts on YouTube, and the dumbasses on there were convinced we couldn't keep Jones or do much of anything else either hahahaha.

Upnorth
03-16-2021, 07:22 AM
Tex, there is a difference I think between desire and ability to keep jones. Of course we could keep him but at what cost. He had already supposedly turned down 10 mil per earlier this year so why bother at that point?

I have softened on my 'this was a bad move' stance a bit and I am waiting for details on the contract.

sharpe1027
03-16-2021, 08:59 AM
The difference between a poor center and a good center are some big runs and pocket collapsing up the middle a few times. The difference between a poor tackle and a good tackle is constant pressure and an injured QB.

Fritz
03-16-2021, 09:52 AM

You guys are like a bunch of drunken sailors who see a pretty girl sitting at the end of the bar and empty your pockets buying her drinks because you think you'll get lucky. Later, in a drunken haze, you reach up under her dress and you find out she's a tranny.

sharpe1027
03-16-2021, 10:08 AM
You guys are like a bunch of drunken sailors who see a pretty girl sitting at the end of the bar and empty your pockets buying her drinks because you think you'll get lucky. Later, in a drunken haze, you reach up under her dress and you find out she's a tranny.

That was you?

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2021, 10:12 AM
Tex, there is a difference I think between desire and ability to keep jones. Of course we could keep him but at what cost. He had already supposedly turned down 10 mil per earlier this year so why bother at that point?

I have softened on my 'this was a bad move' stance a bit and I am waiting for details on the contract.

Did you post that before or after we signed him? His cap hit should be down around $5 million this season - more later, but so what, the cap will be much higher. This kind of deal - what I've been talking about all along - shows that Gutekunst knows how to use the cap. That plus we apparently got Jones for a little less than what some other teams might have been offering. Now the negativists are saying maybe it is in effect only a two year deal - cut him after two. I think Jones stays the whole four - barring serious injury - and the Packers will be thankful for it.

And to those in here and the podcast fools saying we don't any ability to sign more, wtih a Z. Smith restructure and extending Rodgers to the max and extending D. Adams a decent number of years too, we would have as much as $35-40 million in cap space to go out and get a quality Corner and D Lineman - as Gutekunst supposedly is looking to do.

Upnorth
03-16-2021, 10:24 AM
I have been saying jones is gone for a while like going back to when cook and kamara signed there deals and the draft of dillion so yes from before he supposedly turned down the 10 million. Now that his non incentivised average per year is 9.5 mill im not as concerned but still hate thought of dead money. Most of what we get from z or adams restructure is likely eaten up by jones this year leaving us with less to shop with in a good shoping year.

My thinking is its like having jones and dillion vrs having dillion and Williams and desmond King (cb)

I do like jones low milage and think he will earn his contract but you have to recognize the opportunity cost.

I also think there will be some hang over of the contracts signed throughout the league this year and 2023 fa will be crazy town again so we can restock then for the Love run starting 2024. (I bet you appreciate that tex)

Upnorth
03-16-2021, 10:31 AM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/16/packers-tender-all-4-exclusive-rights-free-agents-including-wr-allen-lazard/

Packers do the obvious.
Regarding Lazard since he is a rfa next year do we see how his first few games go and then start working on an extension?

Fritz
03-16-2021, 10:33 AM
That was you?

Good one!

Joemailman
03-16-2021, 11:19 AM
Lions releasing DT Danny Shelton. Never lived up to his billing as a high draft pick, but a pretty good run stuffer inside.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2021, 12:03 PM
I have been saying jones is gone for a while like going back to when cook and kamara signed there deals and the draft of dillion so yes from before he supposedly turned down the 10 million. Now that his non incentivised average per year is 9.5 mill im not as concerned but still hate thought of dead money. Most of what we get from z or adams restructure is likely eaten up by jones this year leaving us with less to shop with in a good shoping year.

My thinking is its like having jones and dillion vrs having dillion and Williams and desmond King (cb)

I do like jones low milage and think he will earn his contract but you have to recognize the opportunity cost.

I also think there will be some hang over of the contracts signed throughout the league this year and 2023 fa will be crazy town again so we can restock then for the Love run starting 2024. (I bet you appreciate that tex)

We still should be able to get Desmond King or somebody of similar quality - easily. Having only Dillon and J. Williams would have worsened the Packers considerably compared to having a breakaway threat like Aaron Jones. I doubt there will ever be any dead money from this contract, and the cap hit won't even take up a significant part of the savings from restructuring Z. Smith. The "opportunity cost" is not too high when you consider the uniqueness of Jones, the type of runner and the type of character he apparently is.

Not sure what you're talking about - "some hang over of the contracts signed throughout the league this year". The cap should be drastically higher then, accommodating the back loading that a lot of teams are doing. I think you were the one who talked about desire and ability or whatever. If Love has any significant ability, I for one still don't have any desire to dump Rodgers for him in '24 or even several years after. Trading him for something worthwhile would be nice or if he really is worth handing onto, keep him as a back up and maybe find some other uses for him for the next 5, 6, 7, 8 years hahahaha. I don't have any desire to see the Packers go in the toilet by losing Rodgers sooner than that - which they surely wood.

The smart teams don't do feast and famine. They just keep on keeping on - winning at a high level every year.

Upnorth
03-16-2021, 12:20 PM
I don't care about desire. If you are this level player and dont have desire thats on you. I do talk about ability. I do think about long term planning. Putting all you chips in a over 3 yr contract on a 38 yr old player is failed planning imo. That will lead to feast and famine.

39 yr old manning was masterful. 40 yr old was garbage.
40 yr old Favre was near MVP. 41 yr old was garbage.
Brees at 39 near MVP. 40 was holding back the team, the only roster possibly better than tampa Bay.
Young and Marino fell of the cliff.
The odds of a qb plating well past 40 is lower than drafting a hof qb.
Why build extra risk into your long term plan? Not saying Love is the successor but if not him it's going to be some one hopefully.

When would you draft rodgers successor?

Upnorth
03-16-2021, 12:54 PM
2nd rd tender on Tonyan which is a 3+ million cap hit. I will be suprised if no one offers him something better.
Right of first refusal on Sullivan. 2+ mill cap hit. He likely won't be going anywhere and I'm not convinced he is worth that but i guess he knows the system and is low end ok.

Joemailman
03-16-2021, 01:11 PM
2nd rd tender on Tonyan which is a 3+ million cap hit. I will be suprised if no one offers him something better.
Right of first refusal on Sullivan. 2+ mill cap hit. He likely won't be going anywhere and I'm not convinced he is worth that but i guess he knows the system and is low end ok.

For another 1.4 million, Packers could have put 1st round tender on Tonyan. The danger is a team could offer a front loaded to Tonyan that would be difficult for the Packers to match. If a team with an early 2nd round pick gives Tonyan an offer, I wonder if Gute will gladly take the pick. Probably depends on how he feels about Sternberger.

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2021, 01:40 PM
I don't think anybody is paying big money and giving up a 2nd round pick for Tonyan. If Tonyan is going to get $10M+/year (like Jonnu Smith), I doubt he's in our long term plans anyways. They'll let him go--like they did Corey Linsley.

RashanGary
03-16-2021, 03:19 PM
I don't think anybody is paying big money and giving up a 2nd round pick for Tonyan. If Tonyan is going to get $10M+/year (like Jonnu Smith), I doubt he's in our long term plans anyways. They'll let him go--like they did Corey Linsley.

Letting go 30 year olds with back problems at an easy to fill spot isn’t quite the same as up and coming 25 year olds at a position that usually takes 3 or 4 developmental years to be able to run block, pass block and be reliable in the passing game

Guiness
03-16-2021, 04:24 PM
dp

Guiness
03-16-2021, 04:25 PM

That was you?

Never leave a brother stuck!

RashanGary
03-16-2021, 04:27 PM
Good thing I made a small bet on the Patriots to win Super Bowl two months ago. I kind of figured they would scoop up on the covid free agent class. +4000 odds to win. Feeling good about that one

Guiness
03-16-2021, 04:31 PM
For another 1.4 million, Packers could have put 1st round tender on Tonyan. The danger is a team could offer a front loaded to Tonyan that would be difficult for the Packers to match. If a team with an early 2nd round pick gives Tonyan an offer, I wonder if Gute will gladly take the pick. Probably depends on how he feels about Sternberger.

Letting go 30 year olds with back problems at an easy to fill spot isn’t quite the same as up and coming 25 year olds at a position that usually takes 3 or 4 developmental years to be able to run block, pass block and be reliable in the passing game

I don't much like the second round tender. I get that the TE position isn't a highly valued one, but a proven performer is IMO, and he looks to be one.

lol @ team with an early 2nd round pick. Every team is a potential SB winner this time of year don't you know?

RashanGary
03-16-2021, 05:50 PM
I don't much like the second round tender. I get that the TE position isn't a highly valued one, but a proven performer is IMO, and he looks to be one.

lol @ team with an early 2nd round pick. Every team is a potential SB winner this time of year don't you know?

Oh yeah, I’m with you. Tight ends pass block, run block, catch and move all over in formations. It’s probably the highest learning curve on offense. Even QBs seem to catch on quicker. Tonyan is a young and proven guy at this point. I value him more than a 2nd round pick for sure.

RashanGary
03-16-2021, 05:59 PM
Tonyan might be a top 5 TE in the league. Kelce, Kittle and the guy in Oakland clearly better. After that, Tonyan is moving into the next tier of TE. I don’t want to lose him at all. A center and a TE who can block and is an actual threat as a pass catcher.....the legit TE is way more valuable than a center IMO.

sharpe1027
03-16-2021, 06:52 PM
I'm not against Jones deal, but let's not kid ourselves. Ever penny spent is one that can't be spent elsewhere. It doesn't matter that the cap goes up or down. If it counts against the cap, it's an opportunity cost. The only question is whether it was well spent. We will see.

Joemailman
03-16-2021, 07:55 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 3h
The #Bears are expected to sign FA QB Andy Dalton, source said. Their new starter. He gets a 1-year deal worth $10M.

Another illustrious name in Bears QB history. Actually, they've had far worse.

Bretsky
03-16-2021, 07:57 PM

PRETTY HILARIOUS SIGNING

Rutnstrut
03-16-2021, 08:54 PM
The difference between a poor center and a good center are some big runs and pocket collapsing up the middle a few times. The difference between a poor tackle and a good tackle is constant pressure and an injured QB.

You have to see a little beyond one position. They will shift players around on the line, lose continuity and Rodgers goes down. It will happen this season unless they somehow get a decent center the spot seamlessly.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2021, 10:20 PM

I've been agreeing with you a lot lately, Harvey, but not on this. I don't see it as much of a gamble - 2nd round tender versus 1st. Even if some team offers a poison pill type contract that the Packers can't or won't match, they can go above and beyond by offering a better but more team-friendly contract like the Jones deal. I expect them to do that in a year for Tonyan anyway. He definitely seems like a keeper.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2021, 10:25 PM

hahahaha I was rooting for the Bears to grab Dalton for a big chunk of money. The worst case IMO from a Packer point of view is if they stick with Trubisky and the guy suddenly clicks and plays to his potential. I've always had a high opinion of Trubisky.

sharpe1027
03-16-2021, 10:32 PM
You have to see a little beyond one position. They will shift players around on the line, lose continuity and Rodgers goes down. It will happen this season unless they somehow get a decent center the spot seamlessly.

Fair enough, but that seems more of an issue when there's an injury mid season then when there's a whole training camp to work it out. As you point out, they don't need to move anyone if they find one in a FA or the draft.

Letting Linsley go is a risk, but it's a calculated one

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2021, 11:32 PM
I've been agreeing with you a lot lately, Harvey, but not on this. I don't see it as much of a gamble - 2nd round tender versus 1st. Even if some team offers a poison pill type contract that the Packers can't or won't match, they can go above and beyond by offering a better but more team-friendly contract like the Jones deal. I expect them to do that in a year for Tonyan anyway. He definitely seems like a keeper.

Not if he's looking for $12m/year.

smuggler
03-17-2021, 12:02 AM
The Red Rocket constitutes a huge upgrade over Trubs, but he won't improve the Barrs that much.

texaspackerbacker
03-17-2021, 01:50 AM
Not if he's looking for $12m/year.

I very much doubt the price will go that high, certainly not this year, although with the much higher cap next year, who knows. And if he doesn't regress this season and maybe improves even more, he could very well be worth that much.

Upnorth
03-17-2021, 07:07 AM
Adored jackson just was released yesterday by the Titans . if his physical is okay on the knee he would be an amazing addition. It would almost be lime woodson and harris again.

KYPack
03-17-2021, 09:06 AM
Adored jackson just was released yesterday by the Titans . if his physical is okay on the knee he would be an amazing addition. It would almost be lime woodson and harris again.

If his knee is sound, he'd be great. (It's Adoree', BTW) Punt returns, KO returns, solid defender. He was a high number one, doubt he can work into our tattered cap situation.

This guy can even rush the footall, giving the Frenchman another toy to play with.

Upnorth
03-17-2021, 09:33 AM
I typed adoree but it auto corrected. I kinda hate my phone honestly....

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 10:46 AM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 12m
The #Packers and OLB Za'Darius Smith completed a restructure of his contract to create cap room, source said, allowing the team space to sign RB Aaron Jones.

Packers coverage by Acme Packing Co.
@acmepackingco
·
4m
The Packers have restructured Za’Darius Smith’s contract to free up cap space for 2021, but it looks like it could raise his cap number over $28M for 2022

They'll still need to work on an extension at some point. Or part ways after 2021.

The Shadow
03-17-2021, 11:00 AM
The Bears signed Prince Harry to play quarterback?

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Rob Demovsky Retweeted
Field Yates
@FieldYates
·
5m
Aaron Jones' contract:
Signing bonus: $13M
Salaries: $1M, $1.1M, $8.1M, $11.1M
Roster bonuses: $3.75M in 2022, $7M in 2023
Annual per-gamers: $200K in 2021, $400K in 2022-2023
Workout: $50K in 2021, $500K in 2022-2024
Pro Bowl escalator: $250K annually

This could be a 2 year contract.

Fritz
03-17-2021, 11:38 AM

I am leery of someone else swooping in and offering a front-loaded contract. Seems to me it would have been worth the extra dollars to get the first round tender on him. Now, if someone signs Tonyan, the Packers will have to use the not-yet-done extensions of Z. Smith and D. Adams just to afford the kid.

They better not let him go for a second round pick. We've all been grousing for years now about them not ever being able to replace Jermichael Finley in his prime, or that they didn't resign (Only at) Jared Cook. Now they finally, finally have a TE who shows us what a top-end TE can do for that offense, and they're willing to let him get away? For a second round pick? And the Mighty Jace (ouch, my _____ hurts) Furberger is supposed to be the replacement? That would be highly idiotic.

Upnorth
03-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Arizona really getting into a veteran team. Just picked up aj green and Rodney Hudson.
So are the patriots with there 2 te and wr signings.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2021, 03:27 PM
I am leery of someone else swooping in and offering a front-loaded contract. Seems to me it would have been worth the extra dollars to get the first round tender on him. Now, if someone signs Tonyan, the Packers will have to use the not-yet-done extensions of Z. Smith and D. Adams just to afford the kid.

They better not let him go for a second round pick. We've all been grousing for years now about them not ever being able to replace Jermichael Finley in his prime, or that they didn't resign (Only at) Jared Cook. Now they finally, finally have a TE who shows us what a top-end TE can do for that offense, and they're willing to let him get away? For a second round pick? And the Mighty Jace (ouch, my _____ hurts) Furberger is supposed to be the replacement? That would be highly idiotic.

I'd take the 2nd round pick, to be honest. If you told me we could have Tonyan for 4 years on his rookie contract, then I'd take Tonyan. However, I'd take a 2nd round pick over Tonyan nearing the end of his rookie contract.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Arizona really getting into a veteran team. Just picked up aj green and Rodney Hudson.
So are the patriots with there 2 te and wr signings.

I kind of like what Arizona has done. It's a pretty young team that has added some great veteran leadership. I think they overpaid for Watt and Green, but it makes sense for that team. NFC West is going to be tough again. Rams with Stafford. Seattle has Russ, so they'll be in the mix. Arizona adding veterans. 49ers should be healthier.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2021, 04:03 PM
I'd take the 2nd round pick, to be honest. If you told me we could have Tonyan for 4 years on his rookie contract, then I'd take Tonyan. However, I'd take a 2nd round pick over Tonyan nearing the end of his rookie contract.

I would do the same all day.

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 06:04 PM
With the restructures, Z Smith has a cap hit in 2022 of 28M. P Smith 22M. So they're both probably in contract years. Should be highly motivated in 2021.

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 06:40 PM
All the moves the Packers made to get under the cap:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/all-the-moves-the-packers-made-to-get-under-the-salary-cap-to-start-2021/

Restructure David Bakhtiari's deal

The Packers converted Bakhtiari’s $11,447,000 roster bonus in 2021 into a signing bonus, allowing the team to prorate the entire amount over the final four years of his deal. This option was built into the contract extension Bakhtiari signed last November, giving the Packers a logical first step for clearing cap space.

Cap savings: $8,304,045

Release Christian Kirksey and Rick Wagner

One year after signing both veterans to two-year deals, the Packers parted ways with Kirksey and Wagner to create another big chunk of cap space. Kirksey was mostly a disappointment for the Packers in 2020, but Wagner was a valuable piece of a terrific offensive line.

Cap savings: $8,539,375

Pay cut for WR Devin Funchess

Funchess, who opted out of the 2020 season, agreed to a renegotiated deal in 2021, although the exact mechanics for how the Packers saved cap space are unclear. This will be updated with any new information.

Cap savings: Possibly $750,000

Restructure Adrian Amos' deal

The Packers converted Amos’ $1.5 million roster bonus in 2021 into a signing bonus, creating $750,000 in savings this year and pushing $750,000 to his cap hit in 2022. He has two years left on his deal.

Cap savings: $750,000

Pay cut for Preston Smith

The Packers did a major re-working of Smith’s deal, creating an incentive-laden pay cut after the veteran pass rusher had a severe dip in production during the 2020 season. With incentives tied to sacks, Smith can make back all of his 2021 salary, but the team still dropped his cap number this year substantially. A win-win.

Cap savings: $7,250,000

Restructure Billy Turner's deal

According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers converted $4.425 million of Turner’s base salary into a signing bonus and tacked on voidable years to the deal, helping the team spread out the cap hit over more years and create more immediate savings. Many NFL teams have utilized voidable years to help create cap relief this year.

Cap savings: $3,560,000

Restructure Za'Darius Smith's deal

The Packers converted $9.76 million of Smith’s base salary and all $5 million of his roster bonus in 2021 into a signing bonus, splitting the cap cost between the 2021 and 2022 seasons and lowering his 2021 cap number. His cap hit will rise above $28 million in 2022.

Cap savings: $7.38 million

RashanGary
03-17-2021, 06:59 PM
Looks like about 35M in savings. Will be curious to see if Rodgers gets done too.

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 07:40 PM
Looks like about 35M in savings. Will be curious to see if Rodgers gets done too.

Rodgers has a 6.8M roster bonus due on March 20. So if they're going to restructure, you'd think they'd do it soon.

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 07:46 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 11m
The #Vikings are signing Pro Bowl CB Patrick Peterson to a 1-year, $10M deal, source said.

Guess Zimmer didn't like having a bad defense.

Should be a cut or restructure coming. Don't think they have that much cap space.

Bretsky
03-17-2021, 10:55 PM
Rodgers has a 6.8M roster bonus due on March 20. So if they're going to restructure, you'd think they'd do it soon.

Think Goootie and AROD are having a staredown right now on the extension Rodgers wants ?

Wilde and Tauscher think while Gootie is insane on this, he basically wants the opposite of what Rodgers wants and just wants to go year to year with him

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2021, 11:48 PM
Think Goootie and AROD are having a staredown right now on the extension Rodgers wants ?

Wilde and Tauscher think while Gootie is insane on this, he basically wants the opposite of what Rodgers wants and just wants to go year to year with him

This is basically what I think as well. I don't think he'll do it but I could easily see how someone in Rodgers shoes could - arguably should - hold out. I wouldn't blame him. I get it - he's old, etc. But even Tampa took care of Tom Brady who is what, 6 years older? How do you do your MVP dirty like that when he can bring that fact to the negotiating table? What do you even do beyond turtle up?

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2021, 12:44 AM

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-salary-cap-terms-tricks-to-know-ahead-of-nfl-free-agency-2021

In the vast majority of veteran NFL contracts, there are now “automatic conversion” clauses, meaning the team can do this unilaterally without the player signing off. The player gets the cash up front as a bonus, so it’s not exactly the worst thing in the world, but they are doing the team a favor.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2021, 12:49 AM
But even Tampa took care of Tom Brady who is what, 6 years older?

Not really. Brady is a bargain at $25M/year. That's like decent starter level pay in the NFL nowadays.

Upnorth
03-18-2021, 07:33 AM
This is basically what I think as well. I don't think he'll do it but I could easily see how someone in Rodgers shoes could - arguably should - hold out. I wouldn't blame him. I get it - he's old, etc. But even Tampa took care of Tom Brady who is what, 6 years older? How do you do your MVP dirty like that when he can bring that fact to the negotiating table? What do you even do beyond turtle up?

Sure the player can feel like that but I invite the fans to look at the saints falcon and Steelers. They would have been forced to make cuts in a normal year with their approach. Our salary cap looks bad next year already with the smiths. Why make it worse. And then point out how affordable arod is in his final year. Why lose that?

Fritz
03-18-2021, 10:13 AM

Harv, that's a mind-bender for me. We have seen how this offense becomes limited when there is not a real threat at TE. Now we have one. A possible blue-chip guy, if he improves. And he's young.

That's exactly the kind of player you want to keep. I won't run through the list of lousy second round picks the Packers have made over the course of the years, but you see the point.

I'm scratching my head at your willingness to let Tonyan go for a second round pick.

SMBASS
03-18-2021, 11:31 AM
I agree Fritz. With the way Tonyan is developing and becoming a real weapon, I wouldn't be in any hurry to let him go for a 2nd Rounder. He's becoming a known commodity and we've had/have enough Josh Jackson's and Josh Jones on the roster. (Maybe it's a, "Josh" thing??)

KYPack
03-18-2021, 01:32 PM
Crazy shit that had to happen this year dept....

Last season Kyle Van Noy left NE and signed a big contract with the Dolphins.

This off-season, Miami cut Van Noy. The Patriots resigned him. NE was also awarded a 4th round comp pick for the Dolphin signing of Van Noy.

So NE gets Van Noy AND a 4th round pick.

OY Vay!.

SMBASS
03-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Former Packers’ DE Montravius Adams reached agreement with the Patriots on a 1-year deal worth up to 2.5 million, per @DrewJRosenhaus, who now has done five deals this week with New England.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 18, 2021

#Packers only got 595 total defensive snaps out of Montravius Adams, the 93rd overall pick in 2017. 1.5 sacks, 44 tackles.
— Zach Kruse (@zachkruse2) March 18, 2021

Wow, not sure what Hoodie ever saw in Adams that was worth 2.5M for 1 year.

RashanGary
03-18-2021, 05:07 PM
DL take time to develop. Adams has been slowly ascending. He could have his best years in front of him. Or he could fizzle out. DL takes time tho.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2021, 05:11 PM
Adams actually graded out well this year per PFF. Just couldn’t stay on the field.

bobblehead
03-18-2021, 05:57 PM

Everything we can see from the outside supports this. Rodgers wants more years at big money after the age of 40 and Gutes is smarter than that. Rodgers in turn is refusing to restructure this season.

Or the other possibility is that Gutes hasn't offered the restructure as that would make it near impossible to move on from Rodgers after this season through trade or otherwise.

bobblehead
03-18-2021, 06:01 PM

Brady took $25 million a year. How did Tampa "take care" of him? If Rodgers holds out, he instantly becomes the villain in the story. He is under contract for THREE more years. Pack gave him a mountain of cash and guaranteed money to sign said deal. He has every right to hold tight and play out the deal, but the second he holds out he is in the wrong. If he did that I almost guarantee they don't budge and trade him after the season.

bobblehead
03-18-2021, 06:04 PM
Former Packers’ DE Montravius Adams reached agreement with the Patriots on a 1-year deal worth up to 2.5 million, per @DrewJRosenhaus, who now has done five deals this week with New England.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 18, 2021

#Packers only got 595 total defensive snaps out of Montravius Adams, the 93rd overall pick in 2017. 1.5 sacks, 44 tackles.
— Zach Kruse (@zachkruse2) March 18, 2021

Wow, not sure what Hoodie ever saw in Adams that was worth 2.5M for 1 year.

Same thing he saw in Lawrence Guy.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2021, 06:35 PM
If Rodgers doesn't restructure, it isn't because they are having a staredown. Packers can turn his roster bonus into a signing bonus without his consent. If it's not done, it's because the Packers don't want to give up the flexibility they have with Rodgers. They won't do it unless they have to (meaning there is a FA available for them to sign, and they need to do it).

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2021, 06:37 PM
CB Troy Hill signed an affordable deal. Wish we would have gotten him for the price.

Joemailman
03-18-2021, 07:03 PM
How about Kyle Fuller? Packers tried to get him a few years ago.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 46m
The #Bears are releasing veteran CB Kyle Fuller, sources say, a cap casualty. In a tough 2021 offseason, this is Chicago’s only cut due to cap space. A former All-Pro corner now hits the market.

RashanGary
03-18-2021, 07:17 PM
How about Kyle Fuller? Packers tried to get him a few years ago.

If we have no changes except fuller replacing King and an ascending Barnes and Martin replacing kirksey.... Plus the draft. Theoretically, the defense would be better in 2021.

RashanGary
03-18-2021, 07:20 PM
Barnes and Kamal should improve greatly l
Savage should improve
Alexander should have one more small growth year
Gary should improve
Keke definitely should improve
Sullivan should improve
Preston on essentially a contract year should be in shape for a change

No one is at an age where they're getting worse

You add a corner and a couple draft picks and the defense should be improved. Even without the corner, with a little draft luck and development they could still be better without king

Upnorth
03-18-2021, 08:06 PM
Rg agree with ypur analysis except I think we need to add a CB no matter what.

KYPack
03-18-2021, 08:29 PM
CB Troy Hill signed an affordable deal. Wish we would have gotten him for the price.

Yeah, I had my eye on Hill, too.

We gotta get somebody to round out that back end.

Bretsky
03-18-2021, 09:51 PM
Savage should improve
Gary should improve
Sullivan should improve

You add a corner and a couple draft picks and the defense should be improved. Even without the corner, with a little draft luck and development they could still be better without king

I'm not sure I have much hope for Sullivan but I completely agree with the rest. And I think Gute is going to find a bargain priced DL as well. I just hope he finds the CB also.

texaspackerbacker
03-19-2021, 12:32 AM
Savage should improve
Gary should improve
Sullivan should improve

I agree with most of that. Barnes and Kamal may already be about at their ceiling, maybe Keke too. The others, yes. There's also reason to hope Zadarius has a bounce back year.

Getting another Corner is the top priority, maybe both a decent one like Fuller as a FA and a #1 draft pick too. If not Corner, I think we take a ILB #1 ahead of D Line or O Line.

Fritz
03-19-2021, 08:26 AM
Could they reallty afford Fuller? I doubt it, despite The Drunken Sailor's (AKA Tex) assertions that they can buy anyone they want.

Man, I want to go drinking with Tex.

Joemailman
03-19-2021, 09:06 AM
If Rodgers doesn't restructure, it isn't because they are having a staredown. Packers can turn his roster bonus into a signing bonus without his consent. If it's not done, it's because the Packers don't want to give up the flexibility they have with Rodgers. They won't do it unless they have to (meaning there is a FA available for them to sign, and they need to do it).

Rodgers' roster bonus becomes effective at 3 PM today per Demovsky.

Joemailman
03-19-2021, 09:09 AM
Could they reallty afford Fuller? I doubt it, despite The Drunken Sailor's (AKA Tex) assertions that they can buy anyone they want.

Tex will leave you with the bar tab and tell you "Don't worry. The bar tab can always be cooked".

Zool
03-19-2021, 09:13 AM
Tex will leave you with the bar tab and tell you "Don't worry. The bar tab can always be cooked".

Or his wallet will be mysteriously missing, and he will blame the refs.

call_me_ishmael
03-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Brady took $25 million a year. How did Tampa "take care" of him? If Rodgers holds out, he instantly becomes the villain in the story. He is under contract for THREE more years. Pack gave him a mountain of cash and guaranteed money to sign said deal. He has every right to hold tight and play out the deal, but the second he holds out he is in the wrong. If he did that I almost guarantee they don't budge and trade him after the season.

Brady has a multiple year contract. Rodgers essentially is playing on a one-year deal. The remaining years on Rodgers contract were not intended to be used, they were intended to either move on or renegotiate. Rodgers won the MVP and makes chump change relative to his MVP peers.

bobblehead
03-19-2021, 09:52 AM
Brady has a multiple year contract. Rodgers essentially is playing on a one-year deal. The remaining years on Rodgers contract were not intended to be used, they were intended to either move on or renegotiate. Rodgers won the MVP and makes chump change relative to his MVP peers.

Those years were structured to BE ABLE to move on if necessary, not to automatically move on. Agree, Rodgers is playing on a one year deal with team options for 2 more. No reason for the team to do anything. The final year has a base of $25 million. I have advocated adding 2 more base years at $25 million (what Brady is getting) and converting his salary to a signing bonus and agreeing to trade Love for draft capital if Rodgers agrees to sign. But to give him anything right now without getting something back....well, I want to negotiate with you if you think that is a sound approach.

Upnorth
03-19-2021, 10:01 AM

The best year of his current contract from a team perspective is the last. In a stable cap year his 2021 2022 years are not bad at all. But now that we are loading into 2022 it looks worse than it is because of going all in this year to keep this awesome team.

Zool
03-19-2021, 01:40 PM
Mt Adams to the Patriots. Damnit, it's Lawrence Guy all over again isnt it.

texaspackerbacker
03-19-2021, 01:58 PM

Fritz, do you disagree that they are about even with the cap now? Do you disagree that they can and should extend and restructure Rodgers and Adams and gain in the $25-30 million range against the cap? Do you disagree that a 5 year $50 contract hits the cap to the tune of about $5-6 million with a decent bonus prorated? (not that Fuller would get near that - hell, they could get Fuller X 2, a Kyle and a Will for that kind of money). If so, they can damn well buy anybody worth buying that they need.

Actually, I don't drink anything stronger than KoolAid hahahaha.

sharpe1027
03-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Fritz, do you disagree that they are about even with the cap now? Do you disagree that they can and should extend and restructure Rodgers and Adams and gain in the $25-30 million range against the cap? Do you disagree that a 5 year $50 contract hits the cap to the tune of about $5-6 million with a decent bonus prorated? (not that Fuller would get near that - hell, they could get Fuller X 2, a Kyle and a Will for that kind of money). If so, they can damn well buy anybody worth buying that they need.

Actually, I don't drink anything stronger than KoolAid hahahaha.

They *could* cut their entire team and sign a shit ton of free agents. They won't. Your point is valid that they have options, but you keep taking it to such extremes/hyporbole

texaspackerbacker
03-19-2021, 10:04 PM
What is extreme about restructuring and extending Rodgers and Adams and using the cap money to sign a quality Corner and maybe a quality O or D Lineman too? My point is, it easily could be done and IMO, probably will be done in the next couple of weeks if Gutekunst is good at his job.

sharpe1027
03-20-2021, 02:37 AM
What is extreme about restructuring and extending Rodgers and Adams and using the cap money to sign a quality Corner and maybe a quality O or D Lineman too? My point is, it easily could be done and IMO, probably will be done in the next couple of weeks if Gutekunst is good at his job.

Nothing. What is reasonable about saying they can sign anyone they want? It's almost as if you want us to believe there are no other teams and an infinite ability to manufacture cap space.

bobblehead
03-20-2021, 09:33 AM

I suspect they could make it work if it was a priority. It would indeed lock us into Rodgers for the remainder of his contract. It would also be bonus heavy and backloaded to lower impact on the 2021 cap.

Bretsky
03-20-2021, 10:42 AM

I don't think Gute wants to extend Rodgers

Joemailman
03-20-2021, 10:47 AM
I don't think Gute wants to extend Rodgers

I don't either. The idea of offering an extension to a 37 year old guy with 3 years left on his contract strikes me as kind of strange.

Bretsky
03-20-2021, 10:53 AM
I don't either. The idea of offering an extension to a 37 year old guy with 3 years left on his contract strikes me as kind of strange.

Pretty clear Rodgers wants a longer committment
Pretty sure Goootie doesn't want that and if he gives in to what AROD wants it hurts his end plan in the Love Machine

I personally would ride Rodgers as long as he can play in hopes of getting 1 or maybe 2 more SB's

Joemailman
03-20-2021, 11:10 AM
Pretty sure Goootie doesn't want that and if he gives in to what AROD wants it hurts his end plan in the Love Machine

I personally would ride Rodgers as long as he can play in hopes of getting 1 or maybe 2 more SB's

If they get to the end of 2022 and Rodgers is still elite, I would not be opposed to an extension.

Upnorth
03-20-2021, 11:38 AM
If they get to the end of 2022 and Rodgers is still elite, I would not be opposed to an extension.

In that circumstance I would be open to a 2 yr extension.

run pMc
03-20-2021, 12:49 PM
They won't do anything until the HAVE to. If they extend anyone, I'd like it to be Adams. Davante's earned it and losing him next year would be a big blow to the offense.

Re: Rodgers, agree extending a player his age is iffy. However, if he has a year like this past one where he barely gets hit/sacked and plays the MLF like a maestro, I say you do it. Makes the Jordan Love pick look bad, but maybe he can be used in a trade if he shows out in preseason or at least be a competent backup. 40 year old QBs don't often make it through a full season. His cap hit this year and next are in the $38-$40M range. That's a ton of cap space.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

Kyle Fuller be a nice pickup and the whole contract thing from a few years ago makes the talk make sense, but Kyle's gonna want money, and Russ Ball will have to make cap room for that to happen.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2021, 03:58 PM

Why is this clear?

I've pointed this out numerous times, but here goes again. If the Rodgers contract is like almost every other contract, the Packers could have unilaterally converted his roster bonus into a signing bonus. They wouldn't need Rodgers consent. The idea that Rodgers prevented them from doing something like this seems very far-fetched. It would also be good for Rodgers. He gets guaranteed money now over potential money later. Also, depending on how much money was converted, it would have almost guaranteed Rodgers would be in Green Bay through 2022. Right now, the Packers could move on from him after 2021.

This was all about Gutekunst not wanting to lose that flexibility--unless he needed to use that money.

Personally, I would have converted some of that money. Enough to give Rodgers security through 2022, but no longer. I would have extended Adams also, I would have used that money to sign a FA who will make a difference (e.g. Kyle Fuller).

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2021, 04:35 PM
You may be correct, but if that's the case, Gutekunst sucks as a GM. My opinion of him stopped going down down down with the re-signing of Aaron Jones, but if he fails to extend Rodgers to the max mainly to double down on the stupidity of drafting Love, then he's right back on the shit list. Extending Adams also is imperative and that one alone would allow signing of one decent FA.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2021, 04:38 PM
You may be correct, but if that's the case, Gutekunst sucks as a GM. My opinion of him stopped going down down down with the re-signing of Aaron Jones, but if he fails to extend Rodgers to the max mainly to double down on the stupidity of drafting Love, then he's right back on the shit list. Extending Adams also is imperative and that one alone would allow signing of one decent FA.

Extending Adams has to be done, but it would only clear up enough for them to sign their RFAs and draft picks and have a buffer for the season. If they want to sign higher priced FAs, they’ll have to restructure Rodgers.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2021, 04:51 PM
Fuller signs with Denver, 1y/$9.5m. Seems reasonable. Ugh! I’m having flashbacks to TT.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2021, 05:02 PM
What I think is going on, and what makes the most sense, is actually a mistake by Gutey IMHO. I don't think Rodgers is going douche bag like late career Favre. He's a smart dude. He realizes restructuring is good for him financially, would provide more security, and would allow the Packers to build a better team around him this year. It makes no sense that Rodgers would be upset by that. He's not going to get an extension at his age with three years left on his contract.

I've been a Gutey supporter, but I think Rodgers played well enough that you give him an extra year security. Even if he were to get injured or struggle more this year, I'd want to go into 2022 with him at the helm. Making Love wait until 2023 wouldn't be that big of deal. It would be the same timeframe that Rodgers got. At the cost of being tied to Rodgers for an extra year, they could have signed a good player (like Fuller). I think that made the most sense.

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2021, 09:25 PM
If they lose Rodgers after '21, '22, '23, or probably '24 or '25 too, the bottom falls out and they go down the toilet - and this comes from the biggest optimist in the forum. I have to HOPE Gutekunst has better sense than to let that happen. It would be a damn shame if his ego gets in the way/doubling down on the mistake of drafting Love last year. Why would he not get a max extension? In 5 or 6 years, he reaches the age Brady is now. If he's not as least as good then as Brady is now, well, it's beyond belief - barring career threatening injury.

Assuming the Z. Smith restructure has been done, the $10 or 12 million from that alone would cover Aaron Jones, $3-4 million for the RFAs, and most of the what? $4-5 million for draft picks? Extending Adams would relieve the cap to the tune of $8-10 million or more. So yes, we could sign somebody decent even without - or let's say before the Aaron Rodgers extension.

Joemailman
03-20-2021, 09:27 PM
Kyle Fuller to Broncos. Reunited with former coaches.

Bretsky
03-20-2021, 10:57 PM
Why is this clear?

I've pointed this out numerous times, but here goes again. If the Rodgers contract is like almost every other contract, the Packers could have unilaterally converted his roster bonus into a signing bonus. They wouldn't need Rodgers consent. The idea that Rodgers prevented them from doing something like this seems very far-fetched.
This was all about Gutekunst not wanting to lose that flexibility--unless he needed to use that money.

Personally, I would have converted some of that money. Enough to give Rodgers security through 2022, but no longer. I would have extended Adams also, I would have used that money to sign a FA who will make a difference (e.g. Kyle Fuller).

How is this clear ? Have you heard AROD's comments and soft messages he throws the Packer brass. Or maybe your of the view that he's not sending any messages. If you are several of the Packer beat reporters in media heads and talk show guys who are close to the situation do not agree.

You pointing this out is really a non issue. I've read it a few times and I get it. And I don't think anybody ever said Rodgers is preventing them from doing anything. I am of the train of thought that GB should extend Rodgers, give him a longer term commitment, and create salary cap flexibility to sign a guy like Fuller or the ex Rams QB for the same deal he agreed to. I also agree with much of the WI Packer beat guys in believing this is what Rodgers wants and the breakup could be ugly down the road. But I think Jordan Love is a mixed bag and hopefully I'm wrong.

I just wanna win another SB or two before Rodgers leaves and I don't think we are that far away with Rodgers as our QB.

Bretsky
03-20-2021, 11:00 PM
Fuller signs with Denver, 1y/$9.5m. Seems reasonable. Ugh! I’m having flashbacks to TT.

Between the Rams CB getting signed for 6 MIL/year and now Fuller those are a could big DAMMIT'S

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2021, 02:11 AM
Why in the world would they extend an old QB with three years left on his contract?

wist43
03-21-2021, 06:34 AM
It's philosophical... the mentality is never now, at the possible expense of the future.

They'll play with contracts to keep some players, but not to fill holes.

Unfortunately the philosophy of not filling holes also extends to the draft and you end up with last year's draft.

2011 was a fart in the wind. The Packers don't build to win championships, they build to be consistently good, and for them that's good enough.

sharpe1027
03-21-2021, 07:56 AM
How many Superbowl teams were the result of a team loading up to win now at the expense of future years? How many Superbowl winners where teams that were taking a longer view of their cap?

I want someone to show me it's a good idea by actual results. Seems like loading up for one or two years is a terrible plan that appeals to the fan but doesn't give good odds of winning it all.

I'll take the odds of a team that makes the playoffs every year for ten years over a team that signs a bunch a free agents in anyone one year so they have to rebuild after two or three years and only make the playoffs five times in ten years.

wist43
03-21-2021, 09:31 AM
How many Superbowl teams were the result of a team loading up to win now at the expense of future years? How many Superbowl winners where teams that were taking a longer view of their cap?

I want someone to show me it's a good idea by actual results. Seems like loading up for one or two years is a terrible plan that appeals to the fan but doesn't give good odds of winning it all.

I'll take the odds of a team that makes the playoffs every year for ten years over a team that signs a bunch a free agents in anyone one year so they have to rebuild after two or three years and only make the playoffs five times in ten years.

It isn't a matter of "loading up"... it's a matter of filling holes when you're close enough to make a run at it.

We have 1 title in the last 25 years - all that time having two HOF QB's. What's wrong with that picture??

Tony Oday
03-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Tampa Bay

bobblehead
03-21-2021, 10:09 AM
Tampa Bay

a) We absolutely should have beaten TB
b) They are an example of a team that drafted very high several times, then with rookies under cap got a good QB...good, not great. They didn't really "load up" any more than we did when we signed Amos, Smith x2 and Turner.

As to Wists point, there is nothing wrong with that picture. Show me all the multiple super bowl winning QBs. I can point out exactly how our own wonderful QBs over the last 25 years disappointed in the playoffs. I'll say it ONE MORE TIME. If Rodgers had shown the heart to run the endzone on both 2nd and/or 3rd down, he 1) might have scored and 2) would have made going for it on 4th down and easy call.

This is a superbowl contenders roster as is. No reason to put the team in cap hell. Adding a player in FA isn't going to assure us anything other than being.....a superbowl contender.

Zool
03-21-2021, 12:52 PM
b) They are an example of a team that drafted very high several times, then with rookies under cap got a good QB...good, not great. They didn't really "load up" any more than we did when we signed Amos, Smith x2 and Turner.

As to Wists point, there is nothing wrong with that picture. Show me all the multiple super bowl winning QBs. I can point out exactly how our own wonderful QBs over the last 25 years disappointed in the playoffs. I'll say it ONE MORE TIME. If Rodgers had shown the heart to run the endzone on both 2nd and/or 3rd down, he 1) might have scored and 2) would have made going for it on 4th down and easy call.

This is a superbowl contenders roster as is. No reason to put the team in cap hell. Adding a player in FA isn't going to assure us anything other than being.....a superbowl contender.

Especially with the draft still coming. If you make it to GM of a pro sports team, odds are you're pretty good at your job. Yeah I understand about Millen, but every rule has an exception. Tampa takes the approach of shoot the load and make a run, then rebuild for 5-10 years and do it again. The Packers are on a sustained run of success that only Pit and NE can match. Put the Packers in the AFC East, and they might be the dynasty of the 2000s.

wist43
03-21-2021, 03:32 PM

This is the way to look at it...

Since we won SB XXXI, there have been 24 Superbowls.

Of those 24 Superbowls, 17 have been won by HOF QB's.

I included Russel Wilson as an eventual HOF QB, but did not include Mahomes.

So that is a record of 17-7 for HOF QB's in the SB. A winning percentage of .708

Elway won 2, Rothliesberger won 2, Peyton Manning won 2, Brady won 7, and non-HOF QB Eli Manning won 2.

That accounts for 15 of the 24 SB's. A winning percentage of .625

There are 2 other HOF QB's who won 1 SB each, Kurt Warner and Drew Brees.

------------------------------

The Packers winning percentage over 24 years of having HOF QB play is 1 for 24. A winning percentage of .042

----------------------------------

I rest my case :glug:

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2021, 03:44 PM

So that is a record of 17-7 for HOF QB's in the SB. A winning percentage of .708

Elway won 2, Rothliesberger won 2, Peyton Manning won 2, Brady won 7, and non-HOF QB Eli Manning won 2.

The Packers winning percentage over 24 years of having HOF QB play is 1 for 24. A winning percentage of .042

19 with Rodgers and Mahomes. Elway and Eli would have 1 each, if Favre had played better in the playoffs. Favre would have at least 2 and maybe 3 (maybe 4, if you count the meltdown with the Vikings). Late career Favre sucked in big playoff games. He can blame himself for the lack of titles. I won't even mention the terrible interception against the Eagles.

Rodgers could have had 2, if Rodgers had played better in the 4th quarter of last year's game.

And there are plenty of Hall of Fame QBs with 0 or 1 titles (Marino, Kelly, Moon, Fouts, Ryan, Rivers, Romo, Brees, Wilson, Warner).

Proves nothing.

run pMc
03-21-2021, 09:04 PM
It's a team game... a HOF QB guarantees nothing. Having one sure helps your odds.

Let's be very clear -- they have NOT wasted Rodgers. He's been in multiple NFCCG's, so he's had plenty of chances to get to the SB.
This is vastly different from some of the other QB Harvey listed, where they sometimes toiled on terrible teams -- Marino didn't even play in the playoffs from 86-89 (4 seasons), for example.

With the exception of the McCarthy/Philbin season (I'm ignoring the prior season when he was hurt), Rodgers and GB were playoff perennials.

run pMc
03-21-2021, 09:05 PM
If they make any major moves, I hope it's a Davante Adams extension. They need to keep that dude on the team past this year.

(It's also worth noting that they will have NO WR's under contract at end of season.)

call_me_ishmael
03-21-2021, 10:47 PM
Packers are going to be fine but it'd be nice to utilize all avenues for the window that is open now. Signing Fuller would have been a game changer - and surely if we offered equal money he'd have at least considered us, no? Who wouldn't choose the exposure on a one year deal in GB full of success vs the shit show in Denver where you'll get 4-12 and your coach gets fired?

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2021, 12:02 AM
The Packers don't build to win championships, they build to be consistently good, and for them that's good enough.

You nailed it with that line, and I like it like that. Obviously, you don't. Hey Joe, how about you make a poll asking which of those possibilities everybody in here prefers. I suppose your side would win and my side would lose, but I still stand by my preference. The thing is, though, if you work it right, you can do both - have your cake and eat it too.

bobblehead
03-22-2021, 12:14 AM

Oh, this is easy wist. Elway was way past HoF by the time he won 2 on the legs of Terrell Davis. Big Ben may end up HoF, but those teams were known for smash mouth running and Defense. Manning was also a has been by the 2nd one. Brady has always taken less money and had great defenses. As for Wilson he wasn't even good when he won the Owl.

So, yes, they are HoF QBs, but not necessarily when they won it. And Honestly, I wouldn't vote for Ben for HoF...not a chance. As for Brady, he always took less money so his team could build a winner. He also probably sold his soul to the devil.

How about the list of great QBs with only ONE Owl. Or none. Thats a long list. I reiterate...OMG THEY WASTED RIVERS, BREES, FAVRE, RYAN, STAFFORD, ROMO, LUCK, AND CHAD FUKCING PENNINGTON!!!!

sharpe1027
03-22-2021, 12:21 AM
You nailed it with that line, and I like it like that. Obviously, you don't. Hey Joe, how about you make a poll asking which of those possibilities everybody in here prefers. I suppose your side would win and my side would lose, but I still stand by my preference. The thing is, though, if you work it right, you can do both - have your cake and eat it too.

It's not a binary choice. End of the day, they were trying to win it all. They weren't just aiming to just be consistently good. The two are consistent with one another. As you said, you can do both.

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2021, 12:26 AM
I read an article about the possibility of the Packers signing Adoree Jackson, a Corner from the Titans - former first round pick in 2017. He's just 25 years old. Fuller and most or all the others talked about are 30 or more. The guy undoubtedly knows and is known by LaFleur. I hoe we sign him. The same article mentioned Cordarelle Patterson, a player I have liked for a long time. I really hope we pick him up as a kick returner and maybe back up RB or WR.

call_me_ishmael
03-22-2021, 09:55 AM
Packers should make a call to Malik Hooker and Keanu Neal. Both were hot prospects with superb athleticism coming out of school. Early bumps in the road don't get rid of the talent.

Joemailman
03-24-2021, 08:58 PM
Packers sign Marcedes Lewis. Reportedly 2 years for 8 million.

Bretsky
03-24-2021, 10:10 PM
Packers sign Marcedes Lewis. Reportedly 2 years for 8 million.

ARE YOU SHITTING ME ??????????????????? He's a minimum wage guy; that money seems like an April Fools joke

Zool
03-25-2021, 09:18 AM
ARE YOU SHITTING ME ??????????????????? He's a minimum wage guy; that money seems like an April Fools joke

What is minimum wage for a 24th year vet? Looked it up, it's $1M.

You're the Rodgers guy and you want them to get rid of one of his best friends on the team over a couple mil? How much is it worth having 6 OL on the field?