PDA

View Full Version : Watts Love Got To Do With It?/ All You Need Is Love

The Shadow
02-03-2021, 10:37 AM
Might Houston need some Love? If the Texans do indeed wind up trading Watson, maybe the prospect of acquiring & developing a young 1st round QB might be appealing.
By sending Love to the Texans, the Packers would help right the ship with Aaron Rodgers.
And : if Watts indeed wants out of Houston, maybe a nice Wisconsin homecoming would be sweet.
The whole salary cap thing is gonna be a mess - but where there's a will there's a way.

SudsMcBucky
02-03-2021, 10:41 AM
Who is Watts?

Spaulding
02-03-2021, 10:46 AM
As much as I'd love to see Watt playing DE over Lowry or especially Lancaster, I don't see any way the Packers can afford him unless the home state discount is almost free. Even if the Packers don't resign Corey Lindsley or Aaron Jones and cut Christian Kirksey, Preston Smith, and Josh Jackson, I don't believe that gives near enough relief to sign him and any reasonable salary. Plus you have the trade cost of draft picks to deal (there is no way they deal Love who cost them a 1st as well other draft picks from the move up and so it would have to be something else) with which the Packer's organization has already considered a premium.

Would love to see it but won't hold my breath.

Teamcheez1
02-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Watts at a vet minimum contract- yes. Anything else, no. He is too injury prone and has lost a step.

GB-Brandon
02-03-2021, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I’m not interested in Watt. Not sure he is the answer to anything but a big name at this point. He doesn’t take over games anymore.

texaspackerbacker
02-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Much as this idea appeals to me, it wouldn't work money-wise, as Watt is due so much and Love makes damn little.

HarveyWallbangers
02-03-2021, 04:01 PM
As much as I'd love to see Watt playing DE over Lowry or especially Lancaster, I don't see any way the Packers can afford him unless the home state discount is almost free. Even if the Packers don't resign Corey Lindsley or Aaron Jones and cut Christian Kirksey, Preston Smith, and Josh Jackson, I don't believe that gives near enough relief to sign him and any reasonable salary. Plus you have the trade cost of draft picks to deal (there is no way they deal Love who cost them a 1st as well other draft picks from the move up and so it would have to be something else) with which the Packer's organization has already considered a premium.

I don’t think the salary cap situation is as dire as people think. It’s already been made known that the cap isn’t going down to $180m. The owners are willing to spread the loss over future years. Cutting Smith, Kirksey, and Lowry should get the Packers near the cap limit. From there the Packers can rework some contracts (Rodgers, Smith, etc.) to gain more cap room this year.

Heard rumors that the Packers have interest in Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel. I like both guys for this offense. Samuel, especially, seems like a great fit.

call_me_ishmael
02-03-2021, 04:10 PM
I don’t think the salary cap situation is as dire as people think. It’s already been made known that the cap isn’t going down to $180m. The owners are willing to spread the loss over future years. Cutting Smith, Kirksey, and Lowry should get the Packers near the cap limit. From there the Packers can rework some contracts (Rodgers, Smith, etc.) to gain more cap room this year.

Heard rumors that the Packers have interest in Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel. I like both guys for this offense. Samuel, especially, seems like a great fit.

Any reason they didn't trade for Samual for a #4 last year or the year before? He would be *sooo* perfect and still on that cheap rookie deal back then.

HarveyWallbangers
02-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Any reason they didn't trade for Samual for a #4 last year or the year before? He would be *sooo* perfect and still on that cheap rookie deal back then.

Do we know he was actually available for that? Maybe the 4th round pick was too much to give up for 1/2 year. If they sign him now, they wouldn’t have to give up a draft pick.