GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 04:34 PM
https://twitter.com/CreamCityCtral/status/1358175386438422531

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 04:39 PM
The Bar was pretty low in this department and just got “Lower.”

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2021, 05:08 PM
Wow. Of the 6 or so names mentioned, I'd have put him at or near the bottom. Hopefully he is better than Pettine. Hopefully he plays more zone pass D. Hopefully he puts together some good blitz packages.

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 05:52 PM
Probably more Tampa 2. I really don’t even know what to say right now. I’m pretty much just worn out. I don’t even have the energy anymore to argue with anyone anymore really about this stuff. It’s just deflating. LaFluer hired his buddy!!!

Vincenzo
02-06-2021, 06:09 PM
Berry had 2 short stints under his belt as a DC, with the Lions and the Redskins.

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 06:17 PM
They didn’t like him in Washington!! And he was part of the 0-16 debacle in Detroit!

https://youtu.be/2YxCnys4p3Q

Looks like its’s gonna be “LOVELY”!!! Another Dude that can’t get off the field on 3rd down!!!

Vincenzo
02-06-2021, 06:26 PM
Berry's previous four D’s ranked 32, 32, 28, & 28.....

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 06:42 PM
It was the “Death Blow Move” to any real final push! LaFluer hires a friend and the Packers practice racism overlooking several more talented black coaches. This dude is a two time Loser! He Has been ran out of town TWICE!! The whole thing is just UNTHINKABLE!!! I never in a million years thought the Packers would hire this guy. I am more shocked by this then any loss this season! Just when you think you can’t be Baffled by the Oligarchy anymore they TOP IT!!!!!

Vincenzo
02-06-2021, 06:51 PM
2007 lions were 7-9, 2008 lions were 0-16. Maybe his personnel was just shit.

Gotta Give him a shot!

Vincenzo
02-06-2021, 06:57 PM
It was the “Death Blow Move” to any real final push! LaFluer hires a friend and the Packers practice racism overlooking several more talented black coaches. This dude is a two time Loser! He Has been ran out of town TWICE!! The whole thing is just UNTHINKABLE!!! I never in a million years thought the Packers would hire this guy. I am more shocked by this then any loss this season! Just when you think you can’t be Baffled by the Oligarchy anymore they TOP IT!!!!!
I just think we are wasting our energy saying its a bad hire because of his previous record. Give him a clean slate. The power of positive thinking!
Perhaps you could be the poster boy for the power of positive thinking.

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 07:27 PM
I just think we are wasting our energy saying its a bad hire because of his previous record. Give him a clean slate. The power of positive thinking!
Perhaps you could be the poster boy for the power of positive thinking.

Yeah, we’re stuck with him but I know all about this guy and his defenses. He had some talent in Washington. One year he dealt with some heavy injuries but he isn’t Aggressive if that’s what people are hoping for. He is maxed out as a position coach and that is probably where he belongs. He is far from the galvanizing presence to turn things around. Hard to say what really happened but LaFluer might of PANICKED AGAIN when Leonard turned down the job and ran to Barry because he has a comfort level with him. I feel we could of done much better. Kris Richard, Chris Harris or even promote Jerry Gray to name a few. If I’m Jerry Gray I’m not happy. Interesting to see what happens there.

If you would of told me Joe Barry was on the way I would of said Keep Mike Pettine!! Of course I want it to work out but that doesn’t mean I have to feel good about it with everything I have seen and know. This just makes zero sense to me. I really wanted to get excited about a new DC and getting a new vibe going with adding some pieces on D and getting this going. I just feel like we’re going backwards here yet again. Sorry Man. I hope I’m wrong.

Massive J
02-06-2021, 07:52 PM
What a shitty hire. Another whiff.

Sparkey
02-06-2021, 07:56 PM
Past performance is not an indicator of future results.

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2021, 08:27 PM
Not really excited about this move. Glad it’s not Leonhard but surely we can do better than this guy, right?

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 08:50 PM
Past performance is not an indicator of future results.

I couldn’t disagree with that more. It doesn’t “Guarantee” but the probabilities favor it greatly. You want to go too the horse track and bet on long shot pony’s all day then great!! Let me know how that works out for ya!!! They had a guy in their office that had coached an Elite Defense. A guy that knows how instill a mentality on defense “That Works” and create a connection with players and has gotten proven results on the field as a DC.

Have you heard Barry talk to players? LOL!! It’s the same old Bullsihit. He has no claim too fame. He is gonna run Tampa 2 and rush 4. He has no exotic scheme or nothing. This guy is a life long position coach who is maxed out at 50!! No Moxy! All of the things I have been describing about defense in “draft board” are completely “Off The Table.” We hired the JAG of coaches!!

It’s becoming very clear Flower boy is a Phony that is sucking off Rodgers tit!! Weak people like weak people under them!

RashanGary
02-06-2021, 08:59 PM
At a glance it’s not his fault he took opportunities with trash teams. This should be different

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 09:02 PM
Kris Richard is a very very intelligent guy!! The Packers really fucked this up!

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 09:05 PM
At a glance it’s not his fault he took opportunities with trash teams. This should be different

No, No No No. The Washington team was bought and paid for and actually a playoff team that we beat in the wildcard round.

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 09:08 PM
They had a great offense and their defense was their Achilles heal so he was ran out of town as being the Problem. They couldn’t stand him.

GB-Brandon
02-06-2021, 09:12 PM
He is the OPPOSITE of AGGRESSIVE! LOL!!

Bretsky
02-06-2021, 10:49 PM
I'm happy Pettine is gone and willing to give this guy a chance because Matt LaFleur knows more than I do

Upnorth
02-06-2021, 11:16 PM
I can't believe that looking at his body of work vrs the other teams in the league and this is who we hire. After tomorrow we could look at the 2 remaining teams coaches. Bthis feels like a stupid hire.

However Lafluer looked bad with the Titans.

th87
02-06-2021, 11:26 PM
I'm happy Pettine is gone and willing to give this guy a chance because Matt LaFleur knows more than I do

As I get older and encounter more incompetence in high places, I've become a bit more skeptical about the notion that because a person is a professional coach/GM/whatever, they must know what they're doing. This isn't necessarily true of Lafleur, but most coaches got into the game early, had some connections, and when the connection uses his other connections to get a promotion, he brings his friends with. Pretty sure that any above-average intellect who works hard and knows the right people (the hard part) can get pretty far.

Lafleur has demonstrated talent for offense, but didn't recognize that giving up an NFL record to Mostert without adjusting should result in the firing of the responsible party. So I'm not sure if he was smart in hiring someone responsible for the worst defense in the century-long history of the NFL.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 10:59 AM
As I get older and encounter more incompetence in high places, I've become a bit more skeptical about the notion that because a person is a professional coach/GM/whatever, they must know what they're doing. This isn't necessarily true of Lafleur, but most coaches got into the game early, had some connections, and when the connection uses his other connections to get a promotion, he brings his friends with. Pretty sure that any above-average intellect who works hard and knows the right people (the hard part) can get pretty far.

Lafleur has demonstrated talent for offense, but didn't recognize that giving up an NFL record to Mostert without adjusting should result in the firing of the responsible party. So I'm not sure if he was smart in hiring someone responsible for the worst defense in the century-long history of the NFL.

This is very true and was a big reason I didn’t want LaFluer to begin with as his “Overall Circle” isn’t all that overly impressive. Not like a Bruce Arians that pulls a Todd Bowles or a Josh McDaniels that could of pulled from several big names by now. You have to look at these head coaches as the “The Total Package” of what your gonna get. I’d prefer LaFleur as more of an OC really.

The farther you go down the rabbit hole the light of all these problems shines bright on Mark Murphy. Has for years now.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 11:10 AM
Mike Holmgren blew out over the Packers power Structure because he felt he was being “Held Back.” Guys like Josh McDaniels Have blown out from the interview process because they have been told they have to keep certain coaches. Guys like Bruce Arians have heard so much CRAP about how the Packers front office does things they won’t even consider coaching for the Packers. Jim Leonard wouldn’t even take the Job. Then Talented guys like Kris Richard get passed over for probably the worst candidate in the league!!

How is Mark Murphy still even in that Building?

George Cumby
02-07-2021, 11:22 AM

The Peter principle is alive and well.

Sparkey
02-07-2021, 12:04 PM
Mike Holmgren blew out over the Packers power Structure because he felt he was being “Held Back.” Guys like Josh McDaniels Have blown out from the interview process because they have been told they have to keep certain coaches. Guys like Bruce Arians have heard so much CRAP about how the Packers front office does things they won’t even consider coaching for the Packers. Jim Leonard wouldn’t even take the Job. Then Talented guys like Kris Richard get passed over for probably the worst candidate in the league!!

How is Mark Murphy still even in that Building?

Your such an ass! When Holmgren was coach, Ron Wolf was GM and had total control. Holmgren wanted total control of everything. History has shown that except for rare situations, it is never a good idea for one person to have total control.

You can legitimately debate wether Murphy's setup of the "three silos" is a good idea, but to conflate Holmgrens situation with the current set up is wrong!

Do to just pull shit out of your ass to try to appear smart?

Sparkey
02-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Hey GB, spell the guys name properly. It is Barry.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Your such an ass! When Holmgren was coach, Ron Wolf was GM and had total control. Holmgren wanted total control of everything. History has shown that except for rare situations, it is never a good idea for one person to have total control.

You can legitimately debate wether Murphy's setup of the "three silos" is a good idea, but to conflate Holmgrens situation with the current set up is wrong!

I am well aware Wolf was the guy but I just added it as it was a huge loss IMO and believe we win another Lombardi if Holmgren stayed. I know lots of people from Seattle and I think we could kept him! That was more toward the entire front office over this whole 30 year run.

Fine. Even if you Minus Holmgren, It’s still a trail of disaster on Murphy alone which is the main point!

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 01:24 PM

It won’t let me get in and edit it.

Fritz
02-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Reminds me of the old Joe Barry Carroll joke:

Joe Barely Cares.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 01:51 PM
Murphy’s “Vision & Fantasy” has been buying up property and Expanding TitleTown!!! Look here but don’t look here until it’s time to look over there!

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 01:59 PM
What’s more exciting? A Skating rink and an tube Slide & Fancy Bars with Micro Beers or a Defense that can’t get off the field on 3rd down?

You guys tell me?

Massive J
02-07-2021, 02:41 PM
What’s more exciting? A Skating rink and an tube Slide & Fancy Bars with Micro Beers or a Defense that can’t get off the field on 3rd down?

You guys tell me?

Yes. Murphy's focus seems to be more on titletown than where we'd like it.

Zool
02-07-2021, 02:45 PM
I'm mad so I'm going to the internet to yell (in text) about it!

Man, I have you blocked and you're still stupid and irritating. Just go fuck the knot in your garage wall for a while.

Teamcheez1
02-07-2021, 02:58 PM

You guys tell me?

I’m voting for the microbrewery. It brings me much more joy than 3rd down defense statistics.

run pMc
02-07-2021, 04:24 PM
I'm mad so I'm going to the internet to yell (in text) about it!

Man, I have you blocked and you're still stupid and irritating.LMAO Just go fuck the knot in your garage wall for a while.

This actually made me LOL

run pMc
02-07-2021, 04:26 PM
Gotta be honest, not a fan of this hire. MLF knows more about coaching on the pro level than I do though.

Bretsky
02-07-2021, 05:04 PM
Gotta be honest, not a fan of this hire. MLF knows more about coaching on the pro level than I do though.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of the hire either; but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I would have opened the checkbook up for Jim Leonard and made him an offer he could not refuse.

As is, I don't know anymore or any less about this guy than anybody else in here. So for me it's wait and see

red
02-07-2021, 05:15 PM
Truth be told, I'm not a fan of the hire either; but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I would have opened the checkbook up for Jim Leonard and made him an offer he could not refuse.

As is, I don't know anymore or any less about this guy than anybody else in here. So for me it's wait and see

we do know about this guy, he's been a d-coord for season, and ranked at or near the bottom every year

really bad hire, this is nothing but helping your buddy out

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 05:41 PM
Yeah. I’ve found it funny too how there have been multiple posts saying the same thing like this guy is some “Mystery Candidate” LOL!!

He is ancient and has been in the league forever!

red
02-07-2021, 06:06 PM
fuck off

Bossman641
02-07-2021, 06:39 PM
Certainly feels like an underwhelming hire. What's he gonna run, the cover 2 he historically taught or the Fangio 3-4 he only has a few years in?

Zool
02-07-2021, 06:45 PM
we do know about this guy, he's been a d-coord for season, and ranked at or near the bottom every year

Kinda feels like that a first blush. Here’s to hoping.

sharpe1027
02-07-2021, 08:29 PM

The first part seems about right. I'm not convinced she's even trying to be smart.

HarveyWallbangers
02-07-2021, 08:33 PM
What will he run with GB?

Bretsky
02-07-2021, 08:35 PM

WAIT, who is my buddy ?

I wanted Josh McDaniel as our HC and Eliott Wolf as the GM.

Matty's been pretty good though so what do I know ?

Bretsky
02-07-2021, 08:37 PM

I am trying to be the voice of reason ? I figured you'd jump on board. If you hate the hire too I must conclude I'm getting soft :)

HarveyWallbangers
02-07-2021, 08:38 PM
I’m not going to blame the guy for having bad defenses in Detroit and Washington (pre-Chase Young). Hell, MLF was terrible in Tennessee (pre-Tannehill). I’m just interested in what he’s going run in GB?

hoosier
02-07-2021, 08:43 PM
While I have not seen anything here that really excites me, MLF has done enough to earn some trust, so I will assume he knows what he is doing until proven otherwise.

Upnorth
02-07-2021, 09:02 PM
This is a big step towards proving otherwise Hoosier.

HarveyWallbangers
02-07-2021, 09:04 PM
While I have not seen anything here that really excites me, MLF has done enough to earn some trust, so I will assume he knows what he is doing until proven otherwise.

Bingo! However, he needs an identity. Sounds like MLF wants a tough nosed defense. That means letting King walk and replacing Lowry.

HarveyWallbangers
02-07-2021, 09:06 PM
I'm big on the MLF bandwagon, so I'm assuming this move will work out. Pettine was not his hire. It sounds like it was forced upon him at the time by Murphy and Gute.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Tampa 2 or some Fangio based defense.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 09:31 PM
I'm big on the MLF bandwagon, so I'm assuming this move will work out. Pettine was not his hire. It sounds like it was forced upon him at the time by Murphy and Gute.

LaFluer hired a guy he knows and is friends with and is comfortable with. He certainly didn’t hire this guy on his record. He is basically bending and believes in him because of their relationship. No other guy would get another chance with this record etc without some type of relationship benefit.

Go research him for yourself if you don’t believe my posts. He was a Fucken Disaster all four years as a DC!! All the way around!

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 09:34 PM
Pettine even had a way better record as DC before coming to Green Bay then this guy if you want to get right down to it.

Sparkey
02-07-2021, 09:34 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/packers/.amp/news/packers-hire-joe-barry-as-defensive-coordinator

Seems his defenses were bad because of poor talent. Hell, in Detroit, Paris Lenon was one of his best players...Yes the same guy who was a backup for the Packers.

Massive J
02-07-2021, 09:35 PM
I'm sure he'll run a wide variety of coverages that none of our secondary personnel are suited for. And he'll combine that with 2 or 3 man rush concepts guaranteed to piss us all off.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 09:55 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/packers/.amp/news/packers-hire-joe-barry-as-defensive-coordinator

Seems his defenses were bad because of poor talent. Hell, in Detroit, Paris Lenon was one of his best players...Yes the same guy who was a backup for the Packers.

Okay. We’re gonna have to wait. Did you look up though the mess that happened in Washington? Also, good DC’s can produce something with lesser talent. So this guy needs “Premium Talent” at every position to make it work? We don’t have that type of talent on defense and we don’t have the cap space to get it. This guy cracks under pressure just like Lafluer and Fucks up. Maybe that’s why LaFluer and Him are friends. This guy is so sit back and non-aggressive. He is 50. These are his tendencies. I don’t see how he is gonna magically change. He also isn't what we need in connection with the Players & mentality of defense! For the CHANGES WE NEED ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL HE IS NOT THE ANSWER! I’m extremely disappointed!

I liked that piece on Bruce Arians tonight. He was like I don’t care who the person is whether they are Black, Blue, Red, Male or Female or where they come from in regards to coaches, If they are the best and can help me WIN & THEN I WANT THEM. That’s what this takes!!

We needed something different and we didn’t get it. That’s for sure!!

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 10:07 PM
I am so Fucken sick of tired of trying to WIN A CERTAIN WAY!!

Have people not figured out yet that in the Times of 2021 It doesn’t Fucken Work!

We just got the BEST QB PlAY OF ALL TiME and that still couldn’t push the stupid System through to a Title!! What’s it gonna take in this “Green Bay Packer Paradigm” to win it all? Have they not yet run out of answers?

GB-Brandon
02-07-2021, 10:15 PM
If you hire Bruce Arians instead of Matt “Dribble Leg” LaFluer you get Todd Bowles as your DC. Can you imagine Todd Bowles with this defense? OMG!! You would see a totally different Brandon!! But guess what? Arians wouldn’t even interview with Green Bay because of guess who? Same old Shit!!

https://bleacherreport.com/twitter-praising-todd-bowles

wist43
02-07-2021, 11:30 PM
The Packers as an organization have been a train wreck for decades on defense - with only occassional periods of mediocrity.

We bought a defense during the Reggie White era, and won a Championship; and we got "fart in the wind lucky" in '11. Other than that, it's been decades of flawed philosophy leading to failure. Year after year.

They'll never figure it out.

For the record, I think Pettine was better than not.

HarveyWallbangers
02-08-2021, 12:26 AM
The Packers as an organization have been a train wreck for decades on defense - with only occassional periods of mediocrity.

We bought a defense during the Reggie White era, and won a Championship; and we got "fart in the wind lucky" in '11. Other than that, it's been decades of flawed philosophy leading to failure. Year after year.

Wist is back. It was a fun year. You should have watched. What flawed philosophy? Must be scheme related--even though plenty of teams have won with a 3-4 (NE, Baltimore, Pittsburgh)--because we've certainly invested heavily in the defense. Most of our draft capital has been invested on that side of the ball. Since Gute took over, most of our big name FAs have been on the side of the ball. So, old wise one, what philosophy has been flawed?

texaspackerbacker
02-08-2021, 01:10 AM
Wist never left, and he's as wrong here as he is in that unmentionable area.

No way in hell the Packers are a poorly run organization - haven't been since at least before the Favre era. That being said, though, they have been skating by on having to GOAT QB as well as the previous GOAT before the current one came along for going on 30 years now. As great as things have been, they obviously could have been better.

th87
02-08-2021, 02:27 AM
Bob Slowik part 2

Teamcheez1
02-08-2021, 06:20 AM
Good article over on Acme about Berry.

hoosier
02-08-2021, 08:16 AM
A lot of the same people who were whining about Gute not drafting a WR last spring are now complaining about the new DC hire. If this turns out to be a good move, will they finally learn some Socratic humility or at least some patience? Somehow I doubt it. If Green Bay were Tampa Bay, GBB would be bitching about how we lost to all but one of the playoff teams we faced, so our meh 11-5 record was fed by cream puffs and we really weren't a playoff team at all.

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 09:01 AM
A lot of the same people who were whining about Gute not drafting a WR last spring are now complaining about the new DC hire. If this turns out to be a good move, will they finally learn some Socratic humility or at least some patience? Somehow I doubt it. If Green Bay were Tampa Bay, GBB would be bitching about how we lost to all but one of the playoff teams we faced, so our meh 11-5 record was fed by cream puffs and we really weren't a playoff team at all.

Simply not true and an overreach. Regular Season records didn’t mean as much “This Season” with home field advantage not being as big a deal. The Seahawks lost their first home playoff game since 2004. The bye was the big “Prized Possession.”

How could I get upset with team a doing what Tampa did which was basically doing everything they could in their power to build their roster to win a Championship? That would of been like a God Send! Slow down Turbo! We’re not even close to that kind of activity level!!

Fritz
02-08-2021, 09:05 AM

Channeling your inner Wist and Brandon (though I respect Wist for actually doing his homework).

Good post.

I am one of those fans though - this seems like a lousy hire. But really, what do I know? We'll see.

I would've liked the fresh young blood - the Rams' guy. I'd like to see some blitzing.

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 09:23 AM

No. They will never figure it out. “Too many Chiefs trying to run the Reservation.” I was holding out hope but they just won’t. This most recent hire SCREAMS OUT WHY & I know why now 1000% why many good coaches around the league don’t even want to deal with all the non-sense in Green Bay so they aren’t even a real option. Too much “Red Tape” to push through and Bullshit and bureaucracy to push through to get anything done. Can’t do this and Can’t do That. Can’t have this player or he did that. Can’t have that person on your coaching staff etc etc etc!! It Perils any normal NFL protocol guideline. Your going to basically get this group of players and coaches so deal with it!!!

Cause Mark Murphy and Brian Gutekunst who are supposed to be some kind of Fucken Genius’s said so!!! And any complaining WON’T BE TOLERATED!!!

So they just blow right out of the interviews or don’t even bother!

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 09:30 AM
They got LaFluer cause nobody else offered LaFluer anything and it was his only opportunity and he was willing to accept “All The Conditions”

Same with Barry.

SudsMcBucky
02-08-2021, 09:36 AM
As a Badger fan, I'm happy as hell Leonhard isn't coming. As a Packer fan, this hire in beyond underwhelming. If I'd had known THIS is who MLF would've picked, I'd have never wanted Pettine gone in the first place. God, I hope I'm wrong!

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 09:45 AM

Probably because it’s about as dumb as that was!

texaspackerbacker
02-08-2021, 01:21 PM
The biggest deficiency for the Packers D this season was playing with discipline. I don't know much about this guy, Barry, but he's older and has DC experience - albeit pretty shitty. Maybe he is the guy to keep our outside pass rushers from failing to set the edge on runs, etc. A little bit of attention to detail - which admittedly I have no idea if he is the guy to give that - might help a lot, that and getting a good Corner to replace King and a good sideline to sideline ILB.

RashanGary
02-08-2021, 02:07 PM
Nobody could coach the lions and redskins defense to respectability. Relax!

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Nobody could coach the lions and redskins defense to respectability. Relax!

Except Washington was the 4th ranked defense in the league this year!! LOL!!! This place is too funny sometimes!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/opp.htm

ZachMN
02-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Saleh suddenly wasn't so hot with mediocre players in 2020. Specifically the D Linemen. I saw in this thread MLF wasn't so great with TENN but when he gets Prissy Erin as his qb suddenly he's a genius. Personally this hire stinks as devil you know. Bottom line is the powers that be have no idea how to scout D players specifically linemen. That's how last nights game was won. That's how this team has lost in the playoffs multiple times. Scheme doesn't matter as pass rush with four guys to my eyes. Guy has a terrible resume. Should have brought in someone younger with a fire and energy to get this team team to play with intensity and passion to destroy not the milquetoast crap we are subjected too literally for 20 years but for lightning in a bottle XLV.

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 03:06 PM
Saleh suddenly wasn't so hot with mediocre players in 2020. Specifically the D Linemen. I saw in this thread MLF wasn't so great with TENN but when he gets Prissy Erin as his qb suddenly he's a genius. Personally this hire stinks as devil you know. Bottom line is the powers that be have no idea how to scout D players specifically linemen. That's how last nights game was won. That's how this team has lost in the playoffs multiple times. Scheme doesn't matter as pass rush with four guys to my eyes. Guy has a terrible resume. Should have brought in someone younger with a fire and energy to get this team team to play with intensity and passion to destroy not the milquetoast crap we are subjected too literally for 20 years but for lightning in a bottle XLV.

That’s “Problem No. 2”. Which I have thoroughly gone over in the draft thread. It’s like they are scared of players that “Play Violent” or something. Obviously failing to build a dominant front.

call_me_ishmael
02-09-2021, 09:35 AM

JPP and Suh were free agents, though. It's true Vita Vea, a top ten pick, is a difference maker.

Sparkey
02-10-2021, 07:18 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/2/8/22272891/joe-barry-packers-dc-appears-to-be-a-good-example-of-the-nfls-rampant-nepotism-problem in

A good read but not a good read if your a Packers fan.

GB-Brandon
02-10-2021, 09:10 AM
It’s the “Exact Tones” of what I’ve been posting and I gotta tell ya if the Gut Punch of the Champ game wasn’t enough then they roll out this hire. They announced it right before Rodgers winning the MVP which completely took all the air out of the balloon of him winning that award for me. It was Classic “1 step forward & 2 step backwards” with the Pettine dismissal and “New Beginning.”

LaFluer shows Major cracks in his Head Coaching abilities in Champ game and then he jumps off the reservation and does this. They did it textbook too. They interviews 4 black coaches to make it look sooooooo good with ANY ONE OF THEM BEING A BETTER CHOICE!! They probably even knew Leonard wouldn’t take the job and then Phony Bitch Boy Dribble Leg sneaks in his Failure Friend as the DC!!

Just DiSGUSTING!!! This organization is running out of reasons to back them!!

GB-Brandon
02-10-2021, 06:18 PM
Meanwhile The Bears have hired Mike Pettine

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1359627099292782593

th87
02-10-2021, 07:09 PM
Meanwhile The Bears have hired Mike Pettine

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1359627099292782593

Nice, don't have to worry about them then.

Bretsky
02-10-2021, 09:31 PM
Article in JS noted Barry was hired because MFL wants to bring in Vic Fangio's defense and Barry is familiar with it; was listening to Wilde and Tauscher. They were chatting on Jimmy Leonard and noted it was a really hard sell to bring get him to come to GB for basically the same ching UW Madison pays him.

RashanGary
02-10-2021, 11:16 PM
Article in JS noted Barry was hired because MFL wants to bring in Vic Fangio's defense and Barry is familiar with it; was listening to Wilde and Tauscher. They were chatting on Jimmy Leonard and noted it was a really hard sell to bring get him to come to GB for basically the same ching UW Madison pays him.

How are Barry and Fangio related? My understanding is Barry is Tampa 2 mixed with the rams latest upper tier stuff.

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2021, 12:30 AM
From what I understand:

Brandon Staley was an assistant under Fangio in Chicago and Denver.
Staley ran Fangio’s defense as DC for the Rams last year.
Barry was his assistant.

run pMc
02-11-2021, 08:52 AM
Barry was also on his way to LAC to coach with Staley when MLF hired him. Not sold on the hire but clearly other coaches think he's competent enough to help run the scheme. Whether he can install and run the whole show on that side of the ball for GB is another question.

th87
02-11-2021, 09:21 AM
Barry was also on his way to LAC to coach with Staley when MLF hired him. Not sold on the hire but clearly other coaches think he's competent enough to help run the scheme. Whether he can install and run the whole show on that side of the ball for GB is another question.

His own teams didn't think he should've been the DC. Seems like he's a nice guy and knows the right people (Marinelli's son in law, Gruden's friend, Lafleur's friend), but nothing seems that interesting about his vision and work. Just don't understand the logic.

MadScientist
02-11-2021, 09:59 AM
Even ignoring his lackluster past performance, the problem with hiring a guy from the Rams is how much that defense depended on Donald. He was a shell of himself in the divisional game, and Rodgers and Co. were barely slowed by their defense. Even if he teaches the Ram's defense perfectly, it won't mean much unless the front four becomes unstoppable pass rushers.

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2021, 10:24 AM
Even ignoring his lackluster past performance, the problem with hiring a guy from the Rams is how much that defense depended on Donald. He was a shell of himself in the divisional game, and Rodgers and Co. were barely slowed by their defense. Even if he teaches the Ram's defense perfectly, it won't mean much unless the front four becomes unstoppable pass rushers.

To be fair, he was just LBs coach there and he's had exposure to a lot of different defenses. That's probably the biggest plus for Barry. Hopefully, he's not a "master of none" type.

LBs coach under Monte Kiffin in Tampa Bay, coaching the Tampa 2. Kiffin was the mastermind of the Tampa 2.
LBs coach under John Pagano in San Diego, coaching the Wade Phillips 3-4. Pagano was an assistant under Wade.
LBs coach (and assistant HC) under Brandon Staley with the Rams, coaching Vic Fangio's 3-4. Staley was an assistant under Fangio.

So, ideally, I think MLF sees the defense being multiple--similar to Bill Belichick's defenses and Brian Flores' defense in Miami.

Who knows how it goes. He's been passed over for DC, but he's also been thought of enough to get a couple of DC gigs (albeit in bad situations).

GB-Brandon
02-11-2021, 10:50 AM
LOL!

https://bleacherreport.com/user_post/ff34c392-ff78-4ad2-8217-75ef27eb4b8c

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2021, 11:47 PM
LBs for the Rams, Reeder and Littleton, talk about Barry:

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/rams-lb-reeder-raves-about-barry

hoosier
02-12-2021, 08:43 AM
Kind of eye opening to be reminded that, for all the Packers have invested in defense over the last half dozen drafts, there are only four names (players drafted by GB) worth mentioning to describe what Berry will have to work with in Green Bay. They are paying the price for their consistent success and for the steep decline in drafting during TT's last years.

King Friday
02-12-2021, 09:11 AM
I have no idea if this guy will be any good... But I know Pettine wasn't taking us anywhere. Typically, you will always be rolling the dice to an extent with these hires, as you aren't likely to be poaching a current successful DC from another team. As some have pointed out, the talent on the field will make the difference most of the time. Currently, the Packer defense is devoid of LB talent and depth in the secondary. In today's NFL, that is a significant obstacle to overcome in order to win a championship. I'm guessing MLF will get along better with him too, so that's also a plus.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 09:21 AM
Don’t worry. 32 year old broken down JJ Watt is probably on the way!!!!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 09:28 AM
As far as Barry the debate isn’t that he hasn’t had some success as a position specialist but more that the DC position has put him way in Over His Head. Which has been documented heavily! Being a play caller just isn’t the right fit for everyone amongst other things. He has a strong trend to buck.

That’s the major concern!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 09:32 AM
There are people that need the Play sheet and the head set taken away from them. An intervention of sorts! They simply won’t give it up and call “Uncle” even though it is obvious to all it’s a Giant Disaster In Motion! Barry is thought to be one of those People!!

LaFluer freely handed it all back over to this guy!!

Joemailman
03-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Joe Barry just finished his PC. Talked quite a bit about the importance on the nickel corner position. I was glad to hear that because I think the Packers have tried to get by with lesser talents at that position for a while. Also talked about the ILB's needing to be guys who are instinctual. Probably bad news for Oren Burks.

Upnorth
03-02-2021, 01:47 PM
Joe Barry just finished his PC. Talked quite a bit about the importance on the nickel corner position. I was glad to hear that because I think the Packers have tried to get by with lesser talents at that position for a while. Also talked about the ILB's needing to be guys who are instinctual. Probably bad news for Oren Burks.

Is this the year we draft a ilb early?

texaspackerbacker
03-02-2021, 01:58 PM
yes

Zool
03-03-2021, 12:59 PM

Does Oren even know he plays linebacker?

sharpe1027
03-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Does Oren even know he plays linebacker?

He does? He plays linebacker?

Joemailman
11-07-2021, 10:56 PM
Barry burying his critics after a bad Week 1. Boy, I sure don't miss Brandon.

call_me_ishmael
11-07-2021, 10:58 PM
The defense does seem to be a pleasant surprise. I haven't been following close TBH but it sounds like an improvement upon past years.

smuggler
11-07-2021, 11:09 PM
If the defense can play like that pretty regularly we're in pretty good shape.

Joemailman
11-07-2021, 11:12 PM
If the defense can play like that pretty regularly we're in pretty good shape.Would be nice to see what this defense could do with Jaire, Stokes and Z playing. Hopefully Clark is okay.

texaspackerbacker
11-07-2021, 11:15 PM
Another "if" hahahaha. Probably Barry gets a lot of credit, but it could also be more about the offenses of the teams we played today and 3 of the last 4 games. I'll still give him a grade of incomplete.

bobblehead
11-08-2021, 05:38 AM
Barry burying his critics after a bad Week 1. Boy, I sure don't miss Brandon.

I want him back. LET'S GO BRANDON, get back here and tell me how this game PROVES that Rodgers should be coach/owner/GM/QB!!!

King Friday
11-08-2021, 07:45 AM
Gotta admit that this defense has steadily improved over the first half of the season. Linebackers are actually making plays we haven't seen in years. Barry deserves plenty of kudos for getting his system in and righting the ship after that awful week 1. He found the issues and got them fixed.

Still waiting on that from Drayton and the special teams...after a full month of tomfoolery, which seems to actually continue to get worse week after week.

King Friday
11-08-2021, 07:47 AM
Another "if" hahahaha. Probably Barry gets a lot of credit, but it could also be more about the offenses of the teams we played today and 3 of the last 4 games. I'll still give him a grade of incomplete.

You play who you play. Dominating bad offenses is what you are supposed to do...and was something we didn't do on a regular basis the past few years.

Fritz
11-08-2021, 07:58 AM
On a kind of side notes, the Chiefs really looked off. Something's not right there. Lots of dropped passes, dumb plays. That did help the defense, though the defense did play well. If King had just hung on to that interception toward the end of the first half, and had Bojo spun those laces on the field goal attempts, we might've been looking at an OT game last night.

But even though the Chiefs looked bad, a Packer defense missing Z, Jaire, then Kenny Clark and Eric Stokes still played the Chiefs tough. And I was so wrong about Rashan Gary. He was a man amongst boys out there.

Joemailman
11-08-2021, 08:05 AM
Gary is a violent dude. That has to be a long day for the RT taking him on all day.

King Friday
11-08-2021, 08:29 AM
On a kind of side notes, the Chiefs really looked off. Something's not right there.

To me, I think Andy Reid is about done as an NFL head coach. I don't mean that to say he doesn't have the capacity to coach, but he has to many other things outside football pressing on him. His son killed a kid with a DWI...coming from the Chiefs facility no less. Andy clearly is also having some serious health concerns on his own. He looked like a 90 year old man trying to hobble over to MLF after the game. Bring a head coach takes a lot out of you. I'm not sure Andy has much left to give.

Spaulding
11-08-2021, 10:14 AM
To me, I think Andy Reid is about done as an NFL head coach. I don't mean that to say he doesn't have the capacity to coach, but he has to many other things outside football pressing on him. His son killed a kid with a DWI...coming from the Chiefs facility no less. Andy clearly is also having some serious health concerns on his own. He looked like a 90 year old man trying to hobble over to MLF after the game. Bring a head coach takes a lot out of you. I'm not sure Andy has much left to give.

Sad to see but I was thinking the same thing. Can't imagine the toll that being an NFL head coach has on ones body and mind. Comparing LeFluer and Reid on the sidelines is like day and night.

texaspackerbacker
11-08-2021, 12:14 PM
I want him back. LET'S GO BRANDON, get back here and tell me how this game PROVES that Rodgers should be coach/owner/GM/QB!!!

Plus One

texaspackerbacker
11-08-2021, 12:17 PM
Gary really did stand out. I'm still withholding judgment, though, as to how much credit Barry gets for the good play by the D recently.

George Cumby
11-08-2021, 01:15 PM

If memory serves, his other son committed suicide.

It's almost like that high-pressure lifestyle is rally hard on people and those around them.

George Cumby
11-08-2021, 01:17 PM
Sad to see but I was thinking the same thing. Can't imagine the toll that being an NFL head coach has on ones body and mind. Comparing LeFluer and Reid on the sidelines is like day and night.

Shanny, McDermott, McVay, a bunch of these young coaches look so much more healthy than the old school coaches.

I will be interested to see if this is a sea-change in attitude or if they are all fit and trim because they are young.

Joemailman
11-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Packers defense now #5 in yards allowed per game and #6 in points allowed per game. This feels like 2010 with 1 exception: This team has a 4 game lead in division. 2010 team did not win division.

Sparkey
11-11-2021, 03:05 PM
So as the season progresses and the players get more comfortable in the system, they start thinking less and start playing faster. I am liking how things have progressed.

bobblehead
11-11-2021, 03:38 PM
Everything people are saying about Andy Reid is the reason I predicted the demise of Fat Mike back before he was fat. He married a young hottie, knocked her up and suddenly being coach of the Packers wasn't his top priority. And the thing about being a head coach in the NFL...to be successful, everything else has to come in second.

Fritz
11-11-2021, 04:06 PM

That's what his wife said, too.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-14-2021, 10:12 AM
Everything people are saying about Andy Reid is the reason I predicted the demise of Fat Mike back before he was fat. He married a young hottie, knocked her up and suddenly being coach of the Packers wasn't his top priority. And the thing about being a head coach in the NFL...to be successful, everything else has to come in second.

If the internet is being truthful and if my math is correct, then McCarthy wedded said “young hottie” when she was 36. Age-wise, in the modern era, 36 is still relatively young. But young hottie? According to Al “4 TDs in a game” Bundy, the prime years of a young hottie are 18-29.

36, especially with offspring, denotes MILF moreso than “young hottie.”

Btw, there’s some rumors floating around saying that McCarthy knocked up said “young hottie” while she was still married to some highly paid bootlicker, err, executive.

Upnorth
03-30-2022, 08:52 AM
How many people are willing to eat crow?

I was wrong so far

bobblehead
03-30-2022, 09:18 AM
I was fortunate enough to be silent in the early days of this thread, but I'm honest enough to admit I didn't like the hire at the time.

I'm also stupid enough to have unblocked Brandon to see what he was saying at the time.

Fritz
03-30-2022, 10:04 AM
Man, this whole thread was basically GB-Brandon ranting, with spittle flying out of his mouth, about how horrible, how rotten, how stupid, this Joe Barry hire was. And how it was getting r-e-a-llll-y hard to root for such a ridiculous organization!

No wonder the dude doesn't post here any more. We are all wrong, a lot, but that guy was as confident as Tex is in his assertions, and even more obnoxious about it. Though Tex is catching up.
t

Joemailman
03-30-2022, 10:04 AM
I didn't say much at the time either. I think I was at the point that I found Brandon so fucking annoying that I wasn't posting that much.

My recollection is that I wasn't thrilled with or hated with the pick. I did feel that Barry in his first 2 DC positions didn't have much talent, so he shouldn't be judged solely on that.

I was hoping for Ejiro Evero, who was hired by Denver this past offseason as DC.

run pMc
03-30-2022, 11:15 AM
Was not thrilled with the hire, not sure eating crow is in order yet.
By DVOA they weren't a great defense by any means, but to the eyes they weren't bad and I think they have potential to get better.
They still had leaky moments vs. the run, and their RZ defense was atrocious to start the year (something like 13 or 16 TD allowed in as many trips by opposing teams).

Compared to Pettine's last year they played better IMO. Berry was able to do more/better with the talent than Pettine, which is not nothing. One area they really improved was tackling - there were a LOT fewer instances of players running up and doing the in-air whiff past the ball carrier.

Maybe Berry just seems good compared to final year Pettine?
Pettine's first year he was pretty good, dropped off from there... maybe we need to see about Berry?

Defense varies more from year to year because it depends on the QBs you're facing, which is often based on schedule and injuries. IMO offense wins consistently, defense pushes you over the top.

George Cumby
03-30-2022, 11:26 AM
Just speed scrolled through all seven pages to see how much crow was on my plate.

Much less than I would have anticipated.

As others have said, I'm glad that one chucklefuck doesn't post here anymore. He's the only poster I've ever put on ignore, which is saying something. Half the fucking thread is blocked out.

texaspackerbacker
03-30-2022, 11:48 AM
I'm only obnoxious when people post like dumbasses. And even then I try to be civil and respectful to all but a few who probably deserve the shit they get.

I don't remember either being strongly for or against Joe Berry. But he apparently did a good job. (edited because I mistakenly thought this was about the new ST coach)

Sparkey
03-30-2022, 02:06 PM
I never deadpanned the choice and I don't think I praised it either. Basically "give the guy a chance" because "Detroit" and "Washington" really isn't much of an opportunity. Honestly, He was at Detroit in 2007 and at the beginning of 2008 the Lions guaranteed themselves of a stretch of futility by hiring Matt Millen as GM.

This was the thread the made me block GBB.

run pMc
03-30-2022, 06:14 PM
Just speed scrolled through all seven pages to see how much crow was on my plate.

Much less than I would have anticipated.

As others have said, I'm glad that one chucklefuck doesn't post here anymore. He's the only poster I've ever put on ignore, which is saying something. Half the fucking thread is blocked out.

Same on all counts.

GBB said the defense would let them down this past season. Not sure I'd put that SF playoff loss on the defense... they looked pretty good, albeit against a garbage offense.

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2022, 01:22 AM
Same on all counts.

GBB said the defense would let them down this past season. Not sure I'd put that SF playoff loss on the defense... they looked pretty good, albeit against a garbage offense.

They gave up 6 points. That's hard to do in the NFL against almost any offense. You can praise him for that game. :) Statistically, they weren't much better than the previous year. However, they didn't have Big Z and Jaire for most of the year, and it was their first year in the offense. I think we need another DL, some real depth at OLB (which we only had for a few games when Mercilus was healthy), and somebody to play the star role. I'm anxious to look at the S prospects because it seems like there are a few players who could do it (e.g. Daxton Hill and Jalen Pitre).

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2022, 01:24 AM
Brandon was banned? Who did he come back as? I still have him on ignore.

Joemailman
03-31-2022, 08:06 AM
They gave up 6 points. That's hard to do in the NFL against almost any offense. You can praise him for that game. :) Statistically, they weren't much better than the previous year. However, they didn't have Big Z and Jaire for most of the year, and it was their first year in the offense. I think we need another DL, some real depth at OLB (which we only had for a few games when Mercilus was healthy), and somebody to play the star role. I'm anxious to look at the S prospects because it seems like there are a few players who could do it (e.g. Daxton Hill and Jalen Pitre).Last year Barry talked about the importance of the star position. But they ended up mostly with Chandon Sullivan as in the past. As a 1st year coach, you sometimes have to go with what you inherited. But it's telling they apparently made no effort to keep Sullivan. Looks like it will be a combination at the position of Alexander, Douglas or a safety this year. One more reason Safety may be more of a target position in the draft than people think. Savage also played a lot of star at Maryland.

Fritz
03-31-2022, 09:46 AM
Last year Barry talked about the importance of the star position. But they ended up mostly with Chandon Sullivan as in the past. As a 1st year coach, you sometimes have to go with what you inherited. But it's telling they apparently made no effort to keep Sullivan. Looks like it will be a combination at the position of Alexander, Douglas or a safety this year. One more reason Safety may be more of a target position in the draft than people think. Savage also played a lot of star at Maryland.

Savage is starting to remind me of Clinton-Dix: stretches of good play early on, then stagnation. Maybe he needs to be challenged, but I'd be happy to see a safety drafted to compete with him.

Upnorth
03-31-2022, 10:26 AM
Savage is starting to remind me of Clinton-Dix: stretches of good play early on, then stagnation. Maybe he needs to be challenged, but I'd be happy to see a safety drafted to compete with him.

Yes. The further I look into the draft the more I want a safety

Anti-Polar Bear
03-31-2022, 12:27 PM
The D was actually pretty vanilla. 4 men rush all day. Whenever a blitz was called, everyone and their baby’s mamas knew Campbell was gonna dash up the A gap.

The Arizona game was the Pack’s most exciting game defensively. Douglas’ walk-off pick came on an all-out blitz. DB coach called the plays in that game.

Fritz
03-31-2022, 02:05 PM
The D was actually pretty vanilla. 4 men rush all day. Whenever a blitz was called, everyone and their baby’s mamas knew Campbell was gonna dash up the A gap.

The Arizona game was the Pack’s most exciting game defensively. Douglas’ walk-off pick came on an all-out blitz. DB coach called the plays in that game.

How can you possibly argue against the playcalling in the SF game, when the defense allowed two field goals all game long? Come on.

Bretsky
03-31-2022, 03:40 PM
Barry did a better job than I thought he would. He still not Jim Leonard :)) but I'm cool with him

Joemailman
03-31-2022, 03:48 PM
He did a good job. There was a stretch in the 2nd half of the season where the defense did not play well, but had a championship-level performance in the playoff game. It will be interesting to see what he can do with really good players manning the star position. Chandon Sullivan was JAG at a position Barry puts a lot of emphasis on.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-01-2022, 12:55 AM
How can you possibly argue against the playcalling in the SF game, when the defense allowed two field goals all game long? Come on.

Contrary to popular belief, vanilla doesn’t always denote suckage. Everybody loves vanilla ice cream. And while he might be a one-hit wonder, Vanilla Ice was awesome in “Ice, Ice, Baby.”

The boring, vanilla defensive performance in that infamous game was good enough. Special teams and the O fucked up the season.

run pMc
04-01-2022, 11:15 AM
If your players are talented enough and good communicators, a vanilla scheme can slow an offense but not stop it. Sometimes, that's enough.
I think Barry got better as the year went on with understanding his players, but I don't think he's a wunderkind or anything. Having Rodgers as your QB has papered over lots of issues for years.

All that said, Barry wasn't awful and deserves another year or two. I don't think Pettine could have done what he did with their injuries. Luck aside, "good enough" with a great offense should take you pretty far.
I'm more curious about the offense this year - partly because of player turnover (especially at WR) but also because of all the coaching changes (Hackett, Getsy, Steno, etc.)

Upnorth
04-01-2022, 11:33 AM
Vanilla Ice was awesome

Holy crap you are a white dude! Next your gonna tells us areosmith version of walk this way was better than run dmc. Or that Elvis made his own music and didn't steal it from black musicians.

Do you like county??? Having a poster of the man in black doesnt make you black dude.

Guiness
04-01-2022, 02:28 PM
Holy crap you are a white dude! Next your gonna tells us areosmith version of walk this way was better than run dmc. Or that Elvis made his own music and didn't steal it from black musicians.

Do you like county??? Having a poster of the man in black doesnt make you black dude.

I keep hearing the opening strains of 'Ice Ice Baby' coming over the radio but it's always that other song, Under Stress or something? I dunno :???:

Upnorth
04-01-2022, 02:36 PM
I keep hearing the opening strains of 'Ice Ice Baby' coming over the radio but it's always that other song, Under Stress or something? I dunno :???:

Are you perhaps implying he is a queen?

George Cumby
04-01-2022, 03:31 PM
Vanilla Ice was awesome in “Ice, Ice, Baby.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1_9-z9rbY

If there was any question of the veracity of Tank's assertion.