PDA

View Full Version : Official Fire Chuck Berry Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Bretsky
01-11-2023, 09:10 PM
In PC, MLF says he anticipates Barry will be back next year.

The FLOWER'S STOCK is DECLINING IMO

Last year it took 2 weeks to fire the ST Coach, which was unthinkable. He's soft. Listen to his responses. He sounds defeated.

And saying, without any review, all of the coaches are getting retained IMO is crazy.

In the end Flower Boy had no intentions of making any moves. The last 25% of the season made things easier for him

Bretsky
01-11-2023, 09:11 PM
so then gutebag needs to be canned for pissing away all those 1st round picks on shit

you can't just have an obvious problem, but don't do anything about it because you can't decide which of the 2 guys responsible was the biggest problem

How many First Round Draft Picks are on Defense, and how many are on Offense ?

Joemailman
01-11-2023, 09:25 PM
The FLOWER'S STOCK is DECLINING IMO

Last year it took 2 weeks to fire the ST Coach, which was unthinkable. He's soft. Listen to his responses. He sounds defeated.

And saying, without any review, all of the coaches are getting retained IMO is crazy.

In the end Flower Boy had no intentions of making any moves. The last 25% of the season made things easier for him

The pessimistic view is he's too unwilling to make coaching changes after an underachieving year. The optimistic view is he's taking personal responsibility for this year's failure and not looking for scapegoats.

Bretsky
01-11-2023, 09:33 PM
The pessimistic view is he's too unwilling to make coaching changes after an underachieving year. The optimistic view is he's taking personal responsibility for this year's failure and not looking for scapegoats.

IF he's taking personal responsibility, which I don't buy for a second, he can start by looking himself in the mirror and asking himself WTF he's doing at the coordinator positions.

Barry Ball is no better than Pettine, who, really didn't get fired anyways. And they took a big downgrade at the OC and OL coaches this year. Just a crap effect.

Did you hear Rodgers interview where he threw the Flower under the bus and said his last three play calls stunk but added we need to execute better ? And then when somebody asked Flower about that is just squinted, and buried his head in the sand, squirmed, and then did some babbling coach talk about Rodgers comments.

He no longer seems like an effective leader to me. I hope I'm off; but this is what I see from all that happened this year.

Joemailman
01-11-2023, 09:56 PM
I think he knows nothing worked this year. This team was never good. He made a remark the other night about how "everything was exposed". I think he knows he has to go back to square one and rebuild this. Sometimes leadership means you have to be willing to get rid of underachieving people. But sometimes it means finding ways to get more out of the people you have. He seems to be taking the latter approach. Look at the most successful teams in the NFL. They're not changing their coordinators every couple of years.

I also think the Rodgers situation is undermining his authority. Rodgers needs to go. And it's not all Gutekunst. I think Murphy is very involved in this.

call_me_ishmael
01-11-2023, 11:52 PM
I think both Joe and Bretsky can be right in this case.

I genuinely don't understand why the D coaching staff is largely the same as with Pettine outside of a couple dudes. Why didn't Barry bring in his own people? I'm a big believer in the fresh voice thing and think new coaches/voices every couple years makes a big difference.

I think they did downgrade in O coaching staff and it does seem that the new OC is not up to snuff and was a better OL coach.

What is MILF going to say when Aaron criticizes him? He sort of has to take it on the chin. This is just reality IMO. Unfortunate.

It has gotta be really hard to be a head coach with young kids and miss out on everything year after year. Part of me imagines that he gets a little more complacent every year. I know I would.

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens over the next 10 years in MILFs career. I suspect when all is said and done he won't have the success of McCarthy and won't be a head coach in ten years. It's a tough business and I guess I just don't see him as a top tier coach. I definitely don't for McCarthy anymore either but there was a period there where he certainly was. I'm not sure I've seen that level out of MILF yet.

Mark Murphy has 2 seasons left before starting the transition and retiring in the summer after the season. I would not be at all surprised if MILF and Gooter's contracts extend one year past that. Murphy isn't rocking the boat with two years left unless there is a big time issue. I sort of think Gooter and MILF will keep ARod around through that window unless things go wildly wrong with his health and performance as well. While I think it's time to move on from Rodgers, I believe they will get him to stay the next two years, and have a new QB ready to go for year one with the new owner.

Bretsky
01-12-2023, 12:11 AM
I think he knows nothing worked this year. This team was never good. He made a remark the other night about how "everything was exposed". I think he knows he has to go back to square one and rebuild this. Sometimes leadership means you have to be willing to get rid of underachieving people. But sometimes it means finding ways to get more out of the people you have. He seems to be taking the latter approach. Look at the most successful teams in the NFL. They're not changing their coordinators every couple of years.

I also think the Rodgers situation is undermining his authority. Rodgers needs to go. And it's not all Gutekunst. I think Murphy is very involved in this.

Rodgers is UNDOUBTEDLY undermining the authority of the Flower, who is beaten down and soft.
Barry was a piss poor hire from day one.

run pMc
01-12-2023, 03:55 PM
This angle is getting a bit overblown though. Yes, they have 7 1st round picks on defense. But of those, 2 were rookies, 1 missed most of the season with an injury, 1 missed half of the season with an injury. It's not like they were putting 7 experienced 1st round picks in the starting lineup every week.

Agree it's overblown, but it's there, along with the amount of cap spent on defense (something like 2nd most in the league). The point is that Barry has plenty of talent to work with but isn't getting much out of it. Whole < Sum, etc. People had high expectations for the defense and they really weren't met.

The season stats for the D don't show more regression than improvement overall from last year. Their run D is still awful.

I think they held DET enough to win that game; the offense lost it.
Barry occasionally has good game plans, but I think he's slow to adjust and doesn't adapt fast enough, and doesn't adjust his scheme to his players' strengths -- and that will always limit their ceiling.

Finally, I don't think there's enough accountability from MLF on down - they kept guys in who were screwing up, or insist on playing underperforming vets over the younger unknown players. Rasul Douglas does something boneheaded and Barry doesn't say a word. Reed and/or Lowry disappear for two games and Wyatt can't sniff the field. A little less tolerance for the nonsense would be good.

Joemailman
01-30-2023, 10:41 AM
Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

The 49ers hiring Ejiro Evero to replace Demeco Ryans is going to be so annoying when Evero should already be a Packer.

There will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2023, 12:24 PM
Do we know this guy is good and not just the benefactor of system continuity from Fangio paired with talent? I'm not convinced he's a good coordinator just yet. My "new voice" theory also suggests that teams pop year one with a new coordinator.

Joemailman
01-30-2023, 12:48 PM
Do we know this guy is good and not just the benefactor of system continuity from Fangio paired with talent? I'm not convinced he's a good coordinator just yet. My "new voice" theory also suggests that teams pop year one with a new coordinator.

Denver's defense was very good but not great this year. It was impacted by injury and trades during season that reduced the pass rush. Actually I'm not sure if he's free to pursue other DC jobs. He's a candidate for HC jobs, but if he doesn't get one, he might just remain Denver's DC.

He's impressed people everywhere he's been.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2023, 05:02 PM
He's impressed people everywhere he's been.

Maybe not MILF tho :)

Bretsky
01-30-2023, 08:06 PM
Maybe not MILF tho :)

DAM ALL YOU GUYS

When I saw this thread was open...I thought

HOLY SHIT DID FLOWER GROW SOME BALLS AND ZAP JOEBLOW ???? apparently not