PDA

View Full Version : Packers' Biggest Need

Fritz
02-08-2021, 09:17 AM
Saw an article this week - I don't remember but maybe it was Dougherty - that the Packers' biggest need was at corner.

I would disagree. Tampa Bay played Green Bay with two starters missing in the back end and Rodgers could not exploit that because Tampa's rush was too powerful and Rodgers had zero time most of the time.

I think a defensive lineman who can push the pocket next to Clark would be the greatest help they could give that defense. It's not that they don't need corners - they do - but a pass rush can cover up a lot of ugliness in the back end.

Having said that, if they drafted a right tackle in the first round I'd be okay with that. Or an inside linebacker who is a game changer.

SudsMcBucky
02-08-2021, 09:49 AM
I said it in the early draft thread that #1 was a disruptive mauler on the DL.

Zool
02-08-2021, 09:49 AM
After 30 long years of searching, an ILB who can cover TEs and RBs would be amazing.

Fritz
02-08-2021, 10:24 AM
After 30 long years of searching, an ILB who can cover TEs and RBs would be amazing.

I have needs, and you have needs.

I can't disagree with you here, though.

But a good DL who can penetrate would be great, too. Coudn't argue with either pick.

The Josh Jackson pick is looming large.

Zool
02-08-2021, 11:03 AM
I have needs, and you have needs.

I can't disagree with you here, though.

But a good DL who can penetrate would be great, too. Coudn't argue with either pick.

The Josh Jackson pick is looming large.

As is the Mt Adams pick, and the trade back for King instead of taking TJ. That one hurts more than the rest.

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 11:32 AM
Until they can dominate upfront on defense nothing will change consistently. It’s pretty basic stuff.

Its been a “Need” it seems like forever!

Cheesehead Craig
02-08-2021, 11:54 AM
Pass rusher.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Pass rusher.

2 of them please...

bobblehead
02-08-2021, 12:19 PM
I'll say it again. BPA. If I were GM I would offer Allen Robinson the AJones money that he rejected. Short of that I might sign Cory Davis for less than that. I would draft Najee Harris in the 1st. Based on last few drafts he will be there. Problems on offense solved. We get the #2 WR and we have thunder and thunder in the backfield.

Defense is a bit trickier because I could improve any position to be honest. I also wouldn't cry if we drafted a talented OL. Seriously, what position outside of QB can we NOT stand to improve?

I probably would shy away from TE in the draft as we have a room of ascending guys on the cheap. I would very much like to re sign Lindsey. But break it down. Can we use another swing G/T? Yes. Can we use another RB to replace Jones? Yes. Can we use a WR? Yes. (although they take time. Would rather spend in FA there). So basically anything on offense besides QB.

Can we use another DL? Of course. Can we use an ILB? Big time. Can we use an OLB? Maybe if we release Preston and either way Z and Preston are coming into walk years. CB? Check. Safety? I guess we have 2 capable guys so maybe a bit less. Is Amos in a walk year? I think so, not sure.

So just draft the best player you can every step of the way. Use the Jones money to get a WR opposite Adams. Draft a new RB. Sign a RB FA, there are a ton of them. I'll take Ty Montgomery back any day in this offense.

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 12:23 PM
For all these fancy schemes and coverages there is simply no replacement for pushing the Pocket and disrupting. It allows you to shut down down run game and is the shortest distance to the QB. It makes average DB’s Great and Great DB’s HOF Worthy! This isn’t rocket science by any means.

The bad news is these Effective 300 Pound disrupters don’t grow on trees and it is a particularly weak class coming out in the 2021 draft. The guy I really like won’t be on the board when the Packers draft so they might have to find some diamond in the ruff. There are a couple secondary targets but we’ll see. They really should of pulled the trigger on Jeffery Simmons when they had the chance!!

Tony Oday
02-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Stud ILB, Snacks type Run stuffer up the middle and fast RB

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 12:37 PM
I'll say it again. BPA. If I were GM I would offer Allen Robinson the AJones money that he rejected. Short of that I might sign Cory Davis for less than that. I would draft Najee Harris in the 1st. Based on last few drafts he will be there. Problems on offense solved. We get the #2 WR and we have thunder and thunder in the backfield.

Defense is a bit trickier because I could improve any position to be honest. I also wouldn't cry if we drafted a talented OL. Seriously, what position outside of QB can we NOT stand to improve?

I probably would shy away from TE in the draft as we have a room of ascending guys on the cheap. I would very much like to re sign Lindsey. But break it down. Can we use another swing G/T? Yes. Can we use another RB to replace Jones? Yes. Can we use a WR? Yes. (although they take time. Would rather spend in FA there). So basically anything on offense besides QB.

Can we use another DL? Of course. Can we use an ILB? Big time. Can we use an OLB? Maybe if we release Preston and either way Z and Preston are coming into walk years. CB? Check. Safety? I guess we have 2 capable guys so maybe a bit less. Is Amos in a walk year? I think so, not sure.

So just draft the best player you can every step of the way. Use the Jones money to get a WR opposite Adams. Draft a new RB. Sign a RB FA, there are a ton of them. I'll take Ty Montgomery back any day in this offense.

I’d be okay with all of this as long as Robinson or Davis is targeted.

My main problem has now shifted and focused on the new DC. The Packers just can’t seem to get out of their own way. They operate like that alcoholic or drug addict that just can’t help themselves no matter what. It’s so frustrating because you want to help them so badly!!

Fritz
02-08-2021, 01:06 PM
As is the Mt Adams pick, and the trade back for King instead of taking TJ. That one hurts more than the rest.

How true that is.

texaspackerbacker
02-08-2021, 01:32 PM
In a limited cap year, we sure as hell don't need to throw away money for a high price FA WR, same as we don't need to draft one the first or second day.

What we do need - either free agency or high draft pick is (in order) Corner and ILB. We could use O Line help, but it isn't urgent. We could use D Line help, but that is less urgent even than O Line. We only need a RB if they get bonehead stupid and let Aaron Jones go. If that happens, heaven forbid, we better get the closest thing we can find to a clone of him, both athletically and attitudinally.

Upnorth
02-08-2021, 02:19 PM
I think our biggest need is a defensive coordinator!

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 02:37 PM
I think our biggest need is a defensive coordinator!

It’s going to be “HORRIFIC”

GB-Brandon
02-08-2021, 02:42 PM
In a limited cap year, we sure as hell don't need to throw away money for a high price FA WR, same as we don't need to draft one the first or second day.

What we do need - either free agency or high draft pick is (in order) Corner and ILB. We could use O Line help, but it isn't urgent. We could use D Line help, but that is less urgent even than O Line. We only need a RB if they get bonehead stupid and let Aaron Jones go. If that happens, heaven forbid, we better get the closest thing we can find to a clone of him, both athletically and attitudinally.

We probably need 2 FA WR’s NOW!!

I don’t care how many goodies you throw at the defense. Until you have someone that knows what the hell they are doing putting it together and galvanizing it while being competent calling it on the field your just pounding sand!

With the offensive losses and getting even worse at DC(Yes, it’s possible) were gonna need points and a lot of them!

RashanGary
02-08-2021, 05:43 PM

I agree with BPA. Any star helps us outside of QB.

As for free agency, a competent corner even if he’s 32 years old would be my target. A competent corner, keep Jones. Those two things happen and I think we’ll be sitting pretty in 2021

Bretsky
02-08-2021, 09:55 PM
I agree with BPA. Any star helps us outside of QB.

Just like last year :))

bobblehead
02-09-2021, 10:38 AM
So I copied this from a piece at cbssports. Its says it all. Couldn't think of where to post it, but here seems to make sense. It sums up my view on RB position. Although they don't like drafting a RB in round 1. They use KC and Helaire as evidence. While I generally agree, getting a RB when you pick 30 is ok if its the right guy. CEH wasn't. Najee Harris would be. But the point they make and one I make is valid. A lot of talented RBs can be grabbed in FA. Ok, here it is:

Don't pay up for running backs (again)
Just look at what these two teams got out of their respective running games in the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs could barely rely on Clyde Edwards-Helaire -- their first-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft -- to do much of anything, while the Bucs got 125 yards and a touchdown on Leonard Fournette's 20 total touches. Fournette, by the way, was available for nothing the week before the season started, and played behind Ronald Jones for most of the year.

There was a lot made of how it was alright for Kansas City to take a running back in the first round despite all available evidence that it is a poor use of resources, due to Edwards-Helaire's perfect fit for the offense and game-breaking talent. But he underwhelmed during the regular season and looked like the team's second-best back for most of the playoffs. Former college teammate Darrel Williams -- an undrafted free agent -- outplayed him when on the field. Fournette was a former No. 4 overall pick who, again, became available shortly before the start of the season. And the guy that replaced him in Jacksonville (undrafted free agent James Robinson) gave the Jags significantly more than Fournette ever did.

It's just not worth it to pay up (or use a premium pick) at a position where production can be found for so little investment.

bobblehead
02-09-2021, 10:40 AM
So spend the Jones money on the best RT in FA and you benefit your run game and pass game. Sign a handful of serviceable NFL backs and move on. As I have said, Jones was all class in GB, hope he gets paid....Just not by the packers.

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 11:00 AM
“1 Step Forward” & “2 Steps Backwards” on Defense thus far!

Why anyone is still talking about Jones is beyond my comprehension!! That boat is so far down the shore.

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 11:24 AM
Aaron Jones will end up in Miami or the Jets or a possibility of Seattle. Wilson is already trying to recruit.

call_me_ishmael
02-09-2021, 12:27 PM
So spend the Jones money on the best RT in FA and you benefit your run game and pass game. Sign a handful of serviceable NFL backs and move on. As I have said, Jones was all class in GB, hope he gets paid....Just not by the packers.

Exactly this.

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 12:39 PM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/taylor-moton-21806/market-value/

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/taylor-moton/11819

“Perfect Fit”

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 12:42 PM
I like going RT over re-signing Linsley & Jones all the way!

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 12:53 PM
So Yeah Let Jones, Linsley. Williams and King all walk. Cut Kirksey & Lowry. Restructure Rodgers & P. Smith.

Sign:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/corey-davis-21746/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/william-jackson-18972/market-value/

Draft:

1. Kadarius Toney, WR Florida. Finally gives us a presence to attack the middle of the field that we haven’t had since Randall Cobb!! This move opens up the passing game, helps off-set the loss of AJ, and better protects us against press coverage. Takes enormous pressure of both Rodgers and LaFluer.

2. Elijah Molden, Corner/Slot Washington. This pick might require a trade up of a few spots. Just a real solid pick with massive value. He can “Ball” and is a student of the game. Will develop nicely in the Packer system. Huge upgrade in the slot. A more athletic version of Micah Hyde. Would be exciting to see someone like him mesh with current Packer secondary and new defensive Coordinator.

3. KJ Britt, ILB Auburn, Fast and Athletic LB. Can get to the sideline and shoot the gaps. Plus in coverage. Got bogged down a little with Auburn losing so many pieces upfront in 2020. We need this type of SEC athleticism in the middle!!

4. Kylin Hil, RB Mississippi State, Steady Eddy ball carrier to take some of the load off Dillion. Can get what we need and will be serviceable in passing game. Will have to coach him up on pass pro. A more athletic Jamal Williams.

4. Comp Pick, Demetric Felton RB/WR UCLA, Gives LaFluer a “Speed Back Option” and also another weapon to fortify his scheme and run his full playbook safeguarding offense form injury etc etc. versatile weapon that can also be used on special teams.

5. CJ Brewer, DT “5 Tech”, Coastal Carolina, This guy is a total steal in this spot. Plays “Violent” which is the mentality and what is needed up front. Not sure it will hold and he can be got here but if he can then WOW!! He dominated and yea it was Coastal but he has it.
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

6. Milo Eifler LB, Illinois, Fast Physical LB that can help on special teams day one and play in space!! Get BURKS off the roster!!

You can’t say I don’t provide “SOLUTION’S”!!!!!

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 12:54 PM
This would have me jumping up and down. Still would be worried about Barry!!

Upnorth
02-09-2021, 01:23 PM

Smart.

Spaulding
02-09-2021, 01:25 PM
So Yeah Let Jones, Linsley. Williams and King all walk. Cut Kirksey & Lowry. Restructure Rodgers & P. Smith.

Sign:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/corey-davis-21746/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/william-jackson-18972/market-value/

Draft:

1. Kadarius Toney, WR Florida. Finally gives us a presence to attack the middle of the field that we haven’t had since Randall Cobb!! This move opens up the passing game, helps off-set the loss of AJ, and better protects us against press coverage. Takes enormous pressure of both Rodgers and LaFluer.

2. Elijah Molden, Corner/Slot Washington. This pick might require a trade up of a few spots. Just a real solid pick with massive value. He can “Ball” and is a student of the game. Will develop nicely in the Packer system. Huge upgrade in the slot. A more athletic version of Micah Hyde. Would be exciting to see someone like him mesh with current Packer secondary and new defensive Coordinator.

3. KJ Britt, ILB Auburn, Fast and Athletic LB. Can get to the sideline and shoot the gaps. Plus in coverage. Got bogged down a little with Auburn losing so many pieces upfront in 2020. We need this type of SEC athleticism in the middle!!

4. Kylin Hil, RB Mississippi State, Steady Eddy ball carrier to take some of the load off Dillion. Can get what we need and will be serviceable in passing game. Will have to coach him up on pass pro. A more athletic Jamal Williams.

4. Comp Pick, Demetric Felton RB/WR UCLA, Gives LaFluer a “Speed Back Option” and also another weapon to fortify his scheme and run his full playbook safeguarding offense form injury etc etc. versatile weapon that can also be used on special teams.

5. CJ Brewer, DT “5 Tech”, Coastal Carolina, This guy is a total steal in this spot. Plays “Violent” which is the mentality and what is needed up front. Not sure it will hold and he can be got here but if he can then WOW!! He dominated and yea it was Coastal but he has it.
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

6. Milo Eifler LB, Illinois, Fast Physical LB that can help on special teams day one and play in space!! Get BURKS off the roster!!

You can’t say I don’t provide “SOLUTION’S”!!!!!

One of your better non-preachy posts even if the FA signings are pie in the sky. We're almost 30 million over the cap regardless of whether Jones, Linsley, Williams and King all walk which I'm guessing will be the case. Cutting Kirksey seems pretty clear with the emergence of Barnes and Martin. Lowry and Preston Smith are overpaid for their return on value and thus guessing will be restructured or cut. Simply cutting them though still won't give us room for anything other than a mid-low tier FA and none of the players you referenced are in that low range outside of Jackson who might be gotten on the cheap if market is soft or he wants to play for a winning organization after the futility of the Bengals.

And as much as I like Toney and would be happy to have the Packers take him as he reminds me of a poor man's fellow Alum Percy Harvin, it's been proven time and again that the Packers front office doesn't value the WR position much for round one. Thus barring him dropping to early second round and the Packers trading back from end of 1st it would seem the 1st round pick is going to be a player in the trenches (OL/DL) or a CB.

Several mocks have us taking a DL (Alabama's Christian Barmore or Daviyon Nixon) which I'd love to see. Pressure from an attacking front seven makes almost any secondary look decent and when you already have a shutdown corner in Alexander and an improving physically elite safety in Savage it could be downright fun to watch versus the bend don't break mentality of Pettine.

Then again, keeping Rodgers upright and clean in the pocket obviously has high value as well and like Bobble said in another thread, likely improves the running game too and thus elevates Dillion and the other likely RB JAGs they field with him this year.

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 02:24 PM
Gute can make it work!

https://dairylandexpress.com/2021/02/08/6-packers-contracts-restructured-free-agency/

I think “In The Right System” Toney will be a star. Yeah, if he ends up in Jacksonville or a place like that he will get faded out.

Barmore scares me a little as I’ve posted. Nixon I’ve been all over and will be “Immediate Production.” Nixon isn’t gonna make it to 30 though. I’d be okay with Eskridge in 2nd but might require a trade up there. There are also a couple day 3 guys at WR that would work. The guys and the way to do it are there!! It’s all on Gute to get it done! Mr. “Genius”!!

That’s the bottom line. We still need Barry to make it work on defense though which I won’t believe until I see.

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 02:28 PM
One way to show Aaron Rodgers the team plans to go all-in while he's still the quarterback would be to restructure his deal. Over The Cap estimates a restructure could save around $14.5 million on the 2021 cap. Similar moves could be done with David Bakhtiari and Za'Darius Smith.

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 02:29 PM
“Go Big Or Go The Fuck Home!!!!!!!l”

GB-Brandon
02-09-2021, 02:36 PM
CJ Brewer can play. Don’t overlook him because he played at Coastal. Very athletic player. He fits the narrative of “Violent Play” or he wouldn’t be on my list!

You guys don’t get it! I love defense and “Defensive Talent”. I just don’t go there because I have given up with the way the Packers go about it and have gone full on let’s go with what they do well and surround Rodgers with Massive Talent!!

RashanGary
02-09-2021, 04:44 PM
CJ Brewer can play. Don’t overlook him because he played at Coastal. Very athletic player. He fits the narrative of “Violent Play” or he wouldn’t be on my list!

Look, it would have been a good post had you just kept it about football and not yourself.

RashanGary
02-10-2021, 10:26 AM
Cut/let go

Kirksey
Preston
Jamal
Lindsley
King

Restructure
Rodgers
Z

Resign
Jones

Free agency
Richard Sherman

Draft
BPA

RashanGary
02-10-2021, 10:28 AM
Hope: Bakh makes it back. Deguara makes it back well.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Cut/let go

Kirksey
Preston
Jamal
Lindsley
King

Restructure
Rodgers
Z

Resign
Jones

Free agency
Richard Sherman

Draft
BPA

General Sherman says he wants to play for a contender. If he really believes that, he’ll sign a so-so contract with GB. Would be interesting to see the General play the “star” (slot corner), ala C-Wood.

Odds are, he’ll sign with Vegas for the big bucks.

Upnorth
02-10-2021, 11:20 AM
Sherman is going to be a solid slot corner but I would not want him against most #2. Still need another #2 corner.

RashanGary
02-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Sherman is going to be a solid slot corner but I would not want him against most #2. Still need another #2 corner.

Draft one. But it takes time to develop. Sherman fills the right now void and gives time to develop. Almost zero chance of a rookie being better than Sherman and less than zero for a guy on the roster. Free agency can plug a hole until it can be better filled (see Preston holding the spot for Gary to develop and be a long term solution)

RashanGary
02-10-2021, 12:02 PM
We are kind of in right now mode with rodgers still playing in prime but being almost 40. A one year plug for the weakest spot on the roster gives us a better shot at a SB in 2021

Upnorth
02-10-2021, 12:40 PM
Draft one. But it takes time to develop. Sherman fills the right now void and gives time to develop. Almost zero chance of a rookie being better than Sherman and less than zero for a guy on the roster. Free agency can plug a hole until it can be better filled (see Preston holding the spot for Gary to develop and be a long term solution)

This makes a ton of sense. What will he cost us though?

RashanGary
02-10-2021, 01:19 PM
This makes a ton of sense. What will he cost us though?

I would guess like 7M. But just guessing. I think he's probably better than that. If SF's front wasnt destroyed, he's smart and knows how to play to the strengths of himself and the defense. He woulda been exposed less. Clark, z and Gary do a better job with pressure than SFs third stringers did. I think he'd be an upgrade over king.

GB-Brandon
02-10-2021, 02:04 PM
He is better then King but not by a whole bunch at this stage in his career. He is strictly a “Zone Option” too so it would need to be scheme specific. He will also be 33 in March. I wouldn’t hate it but depends what defense they plan on running. Injuries starting to pile up a bit too with him. Wouldn’t be the worse plan and I like it better then throwing a rookie out there. He does offer some leadership skills back there.

run pMc
02-11-2021, 08:50 AM
Biggest needs are CB and OT

I'm skeptical you want to pay him over $7M, and I'm even more skeptical he'd want to play in GB for that.
Sherman doesn't have deep speed and had several serious injuries. The guy is 33. Maybe he has enough in the tank to play well for another year or two, but Gute likes youth and I think he goes that route instead.

GB-Brandon
02-11-2021, 11:30 AM
Sherman is never gonna happen here. Our best chance is to purge Jackson from the Bungles. Plus we get a younger player that can also play some man.

texaspackerbacker
02-11-2021, 01:07 PM
Oh, I see people already posted about Sherman in this thread. I think we could get him for a lot cheaper than $7 million.

King Friday
02-13-2021, 09:22 AM
Sherman would be a viable option if we can get him for cheap, but I don't see that happening. No way in hell I pay $7m for him with the cap struggles we have.

Discount double check needs to lower his pay grade if he wants another ring. Rodgers shouldn't be worried about money at this point. His legacy will be lacking compared to other all time greats if he can't get back to another Super Bowl.

Fritz
02-13-2021, 10:36 AM
Sherman would be a viable option if we can get him for cheap, but I don't see that happening. No way in hell I pay $7m for him with the cap struggles we have.

Discount double check needs to lower his pay grade if he wants another ring. Rodgers shouldn't be worried about money at this point. His legacy will be lacking compared to other all time greats if he can't get back to another Super Bowl.

The whole NFL QB structure dictates that one's value is best measured in how high on the pay scale a QB is relative to other QBs, but I would agree that if Rodgers wants to see the legacy picture he'll restructure his contract so the Pack can afford the pieces for another run or two.

Good post.

Except maybe for Sherman. Why bring in an old-timer who has to hold on every play?

George Cumby
02-13-2021, 08:15 PM
No to Sherman.

Yes to a head-hunter on defense who will set an aggressive tone.

wist43
02-13-2021, 08:51 PM
I've been out of the loop for the better part of a season now, but just on casual observation I'd say we're right back to a Dom Capers situation - but worse.

The Berry hiring has disaster written all over it. Would much rather have stayed with Pettine.

The biggest need is always our biggest need - ILB. The Packers don't care about the position at all, and now they've hired a passive, bend, give up tons of yards, and bend some more Defensive Coordinator??

The defense is going to seriously regress next year.

Jaire
02-13-2021, 10:04 PM
Biggest need: DT

JJ is obvious.

Much more important than another CB. We did not get pressure on Brady. Tampa's line was the best in the post season. It's happened the year before against the Niners. BTW some really great discussion here between Chris Simms and his pops at the 24:00 minute (and they get into the rig job too as well as TB just being men among boys https://youtu.be/JZ5_TH14Dnc ).

The rest can be filled in the draft or on the cheap. We need a corner and an RT and a couple late RBs. Another good year for WR. Still think we will get a couple oline and a WR this draft.

JJ I think transforms this D.

(And I'm not as down on Barry as others.)