PDA

View Full Version : JJ Watt being released

Pages : 1 [2]

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 12:34 PM
Big guys on the DL take.time. Gary took a year and a half, Clark two and a half. Mon has been ascending slowly since he got here. His arrow.is pointing up and he's worth a cheap deal.

5 years? You simply can’t waste roster spots for 5 years as a practice with minimal production and compete in this league. Unless you have Aaron Rodgers of course and he covers many of these bad practices up. This will become “Extremely Clear” for many after the Rodgers Era.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 12:38 PM
I'll add one little caveat to my point. There will be a LOT of bargains near the mid to late stages of FA this year. There simply isn't the money available to pay Allen Robinson, JuJu, Davis, Godwin and all the others. They all want to deal breaker contract. A few foolish GMs will hand them out.

I'll ask straight up. Do you want to maneuver the hell out of the cap to sign JJ and then watch Allen Robinson take a one year "wait for cap correction" deal for $12 million a year? Watch Trent Williams sign for something similar? How about when Leonard Williams gets forced to sign for $8 million one year deal in mid august? Joe Thuney ends up rostered for $7 million? Then will it have been worth it to sign JJ cuz he was born in wisconsin?

I want “The No.2” over Watt if it comes down to it. Watt isn’t even that liked by many players when at Houston or around the league.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 12:40 PM
Out of the 3 big money guys (Jones, Linsley, Watt) they can likely only sign 1. Of the 3, I think Watt has the most potential for additional impact. You lose Jones you can replace him with Dillon. Different type of player but a stud nonetheless. You lose Linsley you can replace him with Jenkins and don't miss a thing. You sign Watt and he replaces Dean Lowry.

If they franchise Tag Jones at 8 million they can do more.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 12:43 PM
"owners and fans always think they are only ONE guy from winning it all" Jeff Lurie's wife.

Are we ONE guy away? Maybe. Last season that one guy was probably Bak being healthy. Maybe it was Jones not getting hurt coughing up the ball. Maybe it was simply trusting Dillon with a few carries in the 4th quarter.

We were close. JJ may or may not be the difference. So might Lindsey.

Fine and Dandy but improving moving forward would make sense that the two biggest “Bang For Your Buck Moves” would be increasing talent and production level at No.2 receiver or at DT. These two moves each improve the position groups the most with a “Game Changing Player” based on our overall build up and current make up

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 01:11 PM
I'll add one little caveat to my point. There will be a LOT of bargains near the mid to late stages of FA this year. There simply isn't the money available to pay Allen Robinson, JuJu, Davis, Godwin and all the others. They all want to deal breaker contract. A few foolish GMs will hand them out.

I'll ask straight up. Do you want to maneuver the hell out of the cap to sign JJ and then watch Allen Robinson take a one year "wait for cap correction" deal for $12 million a year? Watch Trent Williams sign for something similar? How about when Leonard Williams gets forced to sign for $8 million one year deal in mid august? Joe Thuney ends up rostered for $7 million? Then will it have been worth it to sign JJ cuz he was born in wisconsin?

Also, you keep bringing up how the Packers “Should Navigate through Free Agency turning over bad Players/Contracts and getting in High Value players on 1 years deals or contracts that are only really guaranteed 1 year”

You mean like Bill Belichick does? Com’on Man!! We both know the Packers aren’t gonna do this!!! Hahahahah!!!!

texaspackerbacker
02-26-2021, 01:25 PM
Dillon is NOT an adequate replacement for Aaron Jones. Nobody this side of Dalvin Cook is. We could easily re-sign Jones, Watt, and if it seemed like a good idea, Linsley and Jamal Williams too. As for the franchise tag on Jones at $8 million, it's a deal that needs to be made at that price. It is NOT, however, as good for the cap as a 5 year deal for much bigger money per year with a huge bonus. Considering the prospect of injury and the near certainty of cap and market prices going up a lot next year and beyond, the franchise tag seems to be the way to go.

As for one guy away from winning it all, we were good enough last year if things fell right to win it all. Luck always factors into it. The one player thing, we are one player away from falling through the floor if we LOSE one player if that one player is Aaron Rodgers, and one player away from getting way less good if that one player is Aaron Jones.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 01:36 PM
It’s the old saying of “Doing The Same Thing & Expecting A Different Result”!!! Yes, you can play the “Luck Card” and let “Bad Luck Break Your Heart” AGAIN!! or you can take the final step and put the final piece into the offense and have the engine roaring operating so well that you can say “Fuck You Luck”.

I know what side I would rather be on!!!

Its not “One Person Wins It All” and more of “Completing The Masterpiece”!!!

texaspackerbacker
02-26-2021, 01:45 PM
The one player to win it all thing is something you say after the fact - because it is LUCK whether any given one player will turn out to be the one that makes the difference.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 02:11 PM
The one player to win it all thing is something you say after the fact - because it is LUCK whether any given one player will turn out to be the one that makes the difference.

As Mike Holmgren said “A Little Luck A Long The Way Helps” but this doesn’t mean you stop putting the best roster out their you can. Nobody on here or anywhere else can prove by “Advanced Metrics” along with having “12” and what the Packers already have in place that adding a legit No.2 doesn’t improve their chances!!

If you wanna call that “LUCK” in the world you live in then Fine. Knock yourself out!!

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 02:59 PM
So I suppose now we can Officially add “LUCK” to our reasons and excuses why we can’t get over the hump! The list is getting quite “Juicy” I might say.

Drum Roll Please!!!!

1. It’s Rigged against us and the Refs cheated us out!!!

2. Jordan Love is the “Real Answer” and will will crack this code and CURSE!!!!

3. It’s ALL LUCK, LUCK, LUCK, LUCK, LUCK, LUCK, LUCK!!!!!!

It’s becoming obvious the Look In The Mirror did absolutely nothing as predicted.

Vincenzo
02-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Talking to yourself again, eh Brandon?

texaspackerbacker
02-27-2021, 12:44 AM
As Mike Holmgren said “A Little Luck A Long The Way Helps” but this doesn’t mean you stop putting the best roster out their you can. Nobody on here or anywhere else can prove by “Advanced Metrics” along with having “12” and what the Packers already have in place that adding a legit No.2 doesn’t improve their chances!!

If you wanna call that “LUCK” in the world you live in then Fine. Knock yourself out!!

It was LUCK having Rodgers fall to us in the first place, and you could say LUCK that he turned out to be as great as he has. Who can honestly say they saw that coming when we drafted him. LUCK has more to do with injuries or the lack of them - both us and opponents - than anything else as well as a whole lot of other factors in winning and losing.

Upnorth
02-27-2021, 12:35 PM

One player to win it all opinions shiw the lack if intelligence on the person making that opinion. Football is more of a whole team sport than any other sport. It's liking saying wins are a qb stat. Only uneducated fans have that opinion.

GB-Brandon
02-27-2021, 02:14 PM
One player to win it all opinions shiw the lack if intelligence on the person making that opinion. Football is more of a whole team sport than any other sport. It's liking saying wins are a qb stat. Only uneducated fans have that opinion.

I never said “One Player Wins It ALL” and Aaron Rodgers having an MVP season and “The Highest Graded Season Of All Time” at the QB position actually proves that!! I’ve continually said “Adding The Missing Piece To Whats In Place” ALL FUCKEN SEASON LONG!!!

GO READ THE POSTS!! You want to turn that into “One Player” then whatever!!! My God!! People will go to any lengths to ignore and not face the TRUTH!! It’s not that hard man!!

GB-Brandon
02-27-2021, 02:27 PM
“Missing Piece”, “Missing Piece”, “Missing Piece”, “Missing Piece”, “Missing Piece”, “Missing Piece”= Does not mean “ONE PLAYER WINS IT ALL”!!

What it does mean is THAT PLAYER COMPLETES THE SYSTEM AND MAKES IT SUPER ELITE!!!! All the other players in that system are of importance as well!!! Some obviously more then others!

THERE!!! Now I hope EVERYONE CAN UNDERSTAND!!

bobblehead
02-28-2021, 11:07 AM
Out of the 3 big money guys (Jones, Linsley, Watt) they can likely only sign 1. Of the 3, I think Watt has the most potential for additional impact. You lose Jones you can replace him with Dillon. Different type of player but a stud nonetheless. You lose Linsley you can replace him with Jenkins and don't miss a thing. You sign Watt and he replaces Dean Lowry.

If you replace Lindsey with Jenkins you lose a stud LG. Dillon is nice and I like him, but he is different from AJ and still unknown, but given the cap difference worth the gamble. But you are not limited to those 3 guys. I just named a slew of FAs who are going to be available, not to mention a slew of others who will be cap casualties. Don't be fooled into thinking you have to break the bank on day 1 to land a guy.

bobblehead
02-28-2021, 11:17 AM
It was LUCK having Rodgers fall to us in the first place, and you could say LUCK that he turned out to be as great as he has. Who can honestly say they saw that coming when we drafted him. LUCK has more to do with injuries or the lack of them - both us and opponents - than anything else as well as a whole lot of other factors in winning and losing.

Since you quoted Brandon I see this post from him. We have put the best roster we can in place. Gutes has been very active in FA. And no one is arguing against getting a legit #2 WR. But you were WRONG Brandon. We had an historical offense without that player. HISTORICAL. It wasn't enough. Being slightly historically better wasn't the answer. And yes, we got a tad unlucky. Having another WR wouldn't have run the ball in the 4th. It wouldn't have caused Jones to hold onto the ball. It wouldn't have gotten Rodgers to run the damn rock on 2nd AND 3rd and goal. We could and should have won that game. Having another great WR would have just given the bucs D one more guy to grab hold of and mug with impunity. We have seen this in the playoffs for years. Its why you need to pound the ball enough to soften a D up. Its why you need your own D.

RashanGary
02-28-2021, 11:41 AM
Bobble, sometimes you run it into the best run defense and fail and that’s your fault too. The refs were the biggest difference maker in that game.

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2021, 12:17 PM
Arguably, a team being fired up, especially on D like Tampa was is a matter of luck on any given day for the opponent. I'll go WAY back to a Thanksgiving game in Detroit when a Lions team got fired up like that and gave Lombardi's Packers their only loss in a 13-1 season. And arguably, officiating is also a matter of luck if you assume mistakes are merely mistakes and not intentional manipulation of the game.

bobblehead
02-28-2021, 02:51 PM
Bobble, sometimes you run it into the best run defense and fail and that’s your fault too. The refs were the biggest difference maker in that game.

Strange how great Ds stop the run in a league that is all about passing isn't it?

bobblehead
02-28-2021, 02:52 PM
Watt has narrowed it down to "3 to 5" teams. I'm guessing that just like God told Reggie white to sign with the team offering the most money JJ will decide his best shot to win just by pure coincidence aligns with the team that offers him the most money. Weird how those things always work out.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-01-2021, 07:41 AM
Watt has narrowed it down to "3 to 5" teams. I'm guessing that just like God told Reggie white to sign with the team offering the most money JJ will decide his best shot to win just by pure coincidence aligns with the team that offers him the most money. Weird how those things always work out.

I see, though, that the packers are currently the favorites to land him (+175) with Browns in a close second (+225).

call_me_ishmael
03-01-2021, 10:26 AM
It sure seems like the Packers are gonna land him. I say go for it. Roll the dice!

call_me_ishmael
03-01-2021, 11:47 AM
Nevermind, he went to the Cardinals. So much for wanting to win lol.

King Friday
03-01-2021, 12:06 PM
There is no way I would have wanted him at that price...he at least has a small chance at the playoffs in ARZ.

Cheesehead Craig
03-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Guess JJ likes warm weather too much.

Vincenzo
03-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Cards get JJ Watt. 2 yrs $31 mil.
$23 mil guaranteed.
It was money after all.

Zool
03-01-2021, 12:35 PM
Et tu JJ?

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-01-2021, 12:38 PM
$23 mil guaranteed.
It was money after all.

Yeah, sad commentary on human nature, but can't say I blame him. It is nice to talk about wanting to win more than the money, but hard to resist when it is waved in front of your face. Do we expect Rodgers to do any different in terms of taking one (restructuring) for the team?

Tony Oday
03-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Well he doesn't care about winning I guess.

Upnorth
03-01-2021, 01:03 PM
That's too bad.

texaspackerbacker
03-01-2021, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have wanted the Packers to pay that much either. And Arizona wouldn't seem to have a significantly better chance of winning than Houston. So it is what it is. We'll just have to find a different, hopefully better D Line solution.

Fritz
03-01-2021, 01:45 PM
$23 mil guaranteed.
It was money after all.

Shocking, isn't it?

I would have been pissed if the Packers had paid that much for him. That's money better spent elsewhere.

Everybody here who wanted him and pisses and moans about how this means the Packers don't want to win will have nothing to say when Watt gets hurt four games in, misses, four, plays three, then misses six more, and ends up being a non-factor.

Upnorth
03-01-2021, 02:33 PM
Shocking, isn't it?

I would have been pissed if the Packers had paid that much for him. That's money better spent elsewhere.

Everybody here who wanted him and pisses and moans about how this means the Packers don't want to win will have nothing to say when Watt gets hurt four games in, misses, four, plays three, then misses six more, and ends up being a non-factor.

Or if he returns to being dpoy we still can't afford 15.5 mil per year. It's just too expensive for us in the 2021 cap year.

Spaulding
03-01-2021, 02:45 PM
As much as I would have loved to see him in Green and Gold this year, given the contract details there was obviously a snowball's chance in Havana of signing him. He's a heck of a player but at that price it's a huge risk given his injury history.

Oh well, the wishful thinking can end now and reality can start with us likely letting Jones, Linsley and possibly Lowry go and restructuring Preston Smith to create some cap room for improving the team with other solid veterans being cut and looking to play for a trophy.

Going to be a long wait as we sit out the first and maybe even the second round of FA signings and bargain shop.

Joemailman
03-02-2021, 09:51 AM
Shocking, isn't it?

Actually, he consensus here seems to be that the Packers were right not to give Watt that kind of money. If Watt had signed somewhere else for less than 10M per year, there would be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

George Cumby
03-02-2021, 11:01 AM
Actually, he consensus here seems to be that the Packers were right not to give Watt that kind of money. If Watt had signed somewhere else for less than 10M per year, there would be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Yup.

Way too steep a price tag.

If only God had told him to come to Green Bay.

Upnorth
03-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Yup.

Way too steep a price tag.

If only God had told him to come to Green Bay.

Lol, you see that's the problem with listening to you dog instead of God. Bright shiny squirrels distract you from the real prize.

bobblehead
03-02-2021, 04:15 PM
$23 mil guaranteed.
It was money after all.

The Hell you say!!!!

red
03-02-2021, 04:29 PM
A professional athlete playing for money, not just to win? Insane

bobblehead
03-04-2021, 09:21 AM
NFL hard cap doesn't mean every last dollar gets spent. Browns had, what, $30M left in cap space in 2021? Salary negotiations regularly take into account recent contracts signed by comparable players.

I just saw the number quoted. Teams are required to spend 89% of the hard cap over a rolling 4 year period. Currently with reduced cap it is going to be 90% over a 3 year period. so basically JJ signing for less money would have meant MORE money for certain players. Now, high end players could have still griped about him resetting the market for a top end guy.

Teamcheez1
03-04-2021, 07:01 PM
After seeing the real numbers in JJ Watts contract, my opinion of him is even less. He was supposedly within striking distance of several contenders and still went for every dollar he could eke out. It was never about winning a championship.

call_me_ishmael
05-14-2021, 11:45 AM
https://twitter.com/danrymas/status/1393035262733783043/photo/1

On the Cushing plan I'm thinking.

George Cumby
05-14-2021, 12:04 PM
https://twitter.com/danrymas/status/1393035262733783043/photo/1

On the Cushing plan I'm thinking.

That was a risky click. I was half expecting man-boobs.

Zool
05-14-2021, 11:46 PM
That was a risky click. I was half expecting man-boobs.

It's the internet man. If you want to look at a dude in a Manzier, you can find it.

King Friday
10-28-2021, 05:33 AM
Reported season ending shoulder surgery for Watt. It was clearly the right decision to avoid a guy who has never been able to stay healthy in the league, especially for the amount of money he got.

run pMc
10-28-2021, 09:56 AM
4th time his season's been cut short. $23M guaranteed... ouch

call_me_ishmael
10-28-2021, 11:54 PM
Well, at least he knew how good the Cardinals could be. They are legit - Murray is really, really, really good.

I feel bad for him. If he stayed healthy he would go down as one of the greats.

Joemailman
10-28-2021, 11:59 PM
Well, at least he knew how good the Cardinals could be. They are legit - Murray is really, really, really good.

I feel bad for him. If he stayed healthy he would go down as one of the greats.

They are good. But if they want to go anywhere in the playoffs, they will need to find a way to stop the run. Probably without Watt.

SudsMcBucky
10-29-2021, 09:40 AM
I love how y’all are like, if Watt wants $18 M, then fuck him and everything Aryan about him, as if y’all gonna fork the bill.

Nigga, please! The cap always be cooked. In an era in which the Networks pay billions to the NFL for the right to expose us to corporate ads on any given Sunday, Monday and Thursday, the NFL salary cap merely serves one, and only one, purpose: it gives the pig owners an excuse cut labor expenses.

The Packers have over $400 M sitting in a foreign bank earning interests faster than the speed of fuck. Packer owners are a bunch of irrelevant folks holding unprofitable “stocks,” and therefore they don’t pocket any of the profits the Packers make. And it ain’t like the next time the Packers want a shinny new arena, they’re gonna milk their saving to pay for it.

Sure, that asshole, Father Time, eventually - and mercilessly - deteriorate every jock’s Kung Fu. But Father Time is still 2 paces behind Watt. Watt’s still a legitimate push rusher. He’s still an extraordinary run stopper. He still can tip passes like Dikembe Mutombo used to block basketballs. And Watt can still play TE.

The Packers certainly have the frogskins pay to Watt. And they should.

This didn't age well. LOL.

bobblehead
10-29-2021, 11:22 AM
Over/under on how many games JJ plays next season before going on season ending IR is 7.

Nice fucking call!!

Guiness
10-29-2021, 11:25 AM
4th time his season's been cut short. $23M guaranteed... ouch

He went 5 years without missing a game to start his career, premature end to 4 of 6 seasons since then.

bobblehead
10-29-2021, 11:37 AM
Sorry, JJ didn't want to come home when he was a huge asset, I'm not paying him to come home when he is surrounded with uncertainty. $3 million would be my max. He is as likely to be hurt by the playoffs as he is to play in them so I'm not paying him just cuz he is a native.

And I had my own early epiphany.