PDA

View Full Version : JJ Watt being released

Pages : [1] 2

Tony Oday
02-12-2021, 08:51 AM
Ian Rapaport on Twitter

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 09:10 AM
Doesn’t really surprise me. He no longer takes over games like he used too.

call_me_ishmael
02-12-2021, 10:04 AM
I think JJ wants to win, so I think he's either going to Pittsburg, KC, GB, or maybe some place like Seattle. His wife lives in Chicago so to me Wisconsin would be a nice happy medium. Bring JJ home!!

Spaulding
02-12-2021, 10:09 AM
Well, according to PFF you reference frequently, he's still elite:

- https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jj-watt/6163

With that said, it would require a massive hometown discount to get him in Green and Gold with our salary cap situation. However can you imagine a 3-4 with Watt-Harrison-Clark for the front three (or Watt-Clark-Lowry or Keke more likely) and then Z, Martin, Barnes and Gary at backer? Having Alexander basically negate the other teams top WR and barring health issues it would be hard to imagine anything other than a top 10 defense.

If you're going all in for Rodgers final years, why not make a move like this if he does offer a hometown discount for something less than 10mil/year for a few years. Every bit of pass rush makes the secondary look better.

Will be interesting to learn what he's looking for money wise as he's already limited him potential suitors by saying he wants to play for a contender which rules out the teams with the most cap space.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-12-2021, 10:13 AM
His brothers play for Pittsburgh, seems like a more logical place for him, although I would like to see him GB..

Spaulding
02-12-2021, 10:32 AM
His brothers play for Pittsburgh, seems like a more logical place for him, although I would like to see him GB..

That definitely crossed my mind but with his reference to playing for a contender I think that might rule Pittsburgh out unless they somehow upgrade at QB. Steelers play in a tough division now with Ravens and Browns being playoff teams and Big Ben being on the decline if not retired soon.

If I'm Gute I'm offering an incentive laden contract which insulates the team against another injury filled season by him for a run this coming year.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 11:06 AM
I’m actually all for this move the more I think about it if we can get him on some type of discount. I would have to think playing for Green Bay and his home state of Wisconsin would have him playing with his hair on fire. I’m all for this move to bring him in. He would be a huge upgrade. I don’t believe he would let us down!

I actually believe this move will happen.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-12-2021, 11:13 AM
Cook the cap and get Watt in the Green and Musta Yella, promptly, and I ain’t just saying this cos Watt is as white as the snow of Greenland. The last time the Packers had a bona fide pass rusher from inside the guts, they won the Super Bowl. 10 years has gone so fast (wake me up when September begins), and Packers still have not found Cullen Jenkins’ replacement.

Jenkins was acquired by Sherman, by the way.

Get Watt, Patrick Peterson and Joey Galloway (#19 of the Kittens) in the Green and Musta Yella. Do your fucking job, German Shepherd!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Yeah, Gute actually “Has” to get this deal done. The guy wants to play here.

Zool
02-12-2021, 11:25 AM
That definitely crossed my mind but with his reference to playing for a contender I think that might rule Pittsburgh out unless they somehow upgrade at QB. Steelers play in a tough division now with Ravens and Browns being playoff teams and Big Ben being on the decline if not retired soon.

If I'm Gute I'm offering an incentive laden contract which insulates the team against another injury filled season by him for a run this coming year.

And the Steelers are a large amount over the cap right now. Something like $25M over with Rapistburger taking up $41M.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 11:28 AM

They have a worse cap situation then ours and less of a need for him though. Other then the “Brother Connection” it just doesn’t fit.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 11:30 AM
Are the Steelers even a Big Time Super Bowl Contender in the AFC? I’m not so sure. Watt doesn’t make much of a difference for that team as he does for Packers.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 11:38 AM
This is where they have to know if they are gonna shit or get off the pot on what they are going to do with Rodgers!!!

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-12-2021, 11:39 AM
Are the Steelers even a Big Time Super Bowl Contender in the AFC? I’m not so sure. Watt doesn’t make much of a difference for that team as he does for Packers.

So if we are going down that road, what would it take, besides an act of god, to get his brother TJ here too?

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 11:43 AM
So if we are going down that road, what would it take, besides an act of god, to get his brother TJ here too?

That’s not even in the wheelhouse right now. It’s hard to even go down that road. Would probably take TJ making it to free agency which isn’t probably going to happen. Packers would have to make a trade and were probably talking somewhere around “Two 1st’s” plus something else I’d imagine like the Seahawks traded for Jamal Adams if the Steelers even wanted to deal.

George Cumby
02-12-2021, 11:50 AM
Make it happen, Ted!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 11:59 AM
“Jesus (Christmas), who’d be able to block J.J., (Kenny) Clark, Z (Za’Darius Smith), Preston (Smith) and Rashan (Gary)? Nobody,” a source said.

Vincenzo
02-12-2021, 12:04 PM
And the Steelers are a large amount over the cap right now. Something like $25M over with Rapistburger taking up $41M.
Aren’t we $32 Million over the cap?

Zool
02-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Aren’t we $32 Million over the cap?

$28M. Preston, Turner, and Kirksey are probably gone which would make them about even. Amos might be a casualty too.

Teamcheez1
02-12-2021, 12:08 PM
Vet min with heavy incentives or move on. He’s not the player he used to be and way too injury prone to take a risk

George Cumby
02-12-2021, 12:10 PM
^ This.

Vincenzo
02-12-2021, 12:15 PM
$28M. Preston, Turner, and Kirksey are probably gone which would make them about even. Amos might be a casualty too.
Yes i realize there will be cuts and restructures. Over the cap says projected cap is $184 mil but I thought they agreed on $180.
28-32 mil still need to trim some ppl. Most teams are gonna have to do some of the same.

Vincenzo
02-12-2021, 12:29 PM
“The folks at PointsBet already have compiled odds. The strong favorite, at +140, is Pittsburgh.

The Packers and Buccaneers come in next at +400 each, with the Ravens at +600, and the Bears at +700.

Four teams land at +1100: Bills, Cowboys, Patriots, and Rams. Two are at +1400; they’re the Browns and Dolphins. The Titans have +1800 odds.”

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Vet min with heavy incentives or move on. He’s not the player he used to be and way too injury prone to take a risk

Depends on snap count etc. Use him like Tampa used Suh. Put him on a limited snap count during season where he can still get us that disruptive play. Then Just Let Him Go For Glory Come The Post Season! It’s the perfect move the more I think about it.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 01:02 PM
“The folks at PointsBet already have compiled odds. The strong favorite, at +140, is Pittsburgh.

The Packers and Buccaneers come in next at +400 each, with the Ravens at +600, and the Bears at +700.

Four teams land at +1100: Bills, Cowboys, Patriots, and Rams. Two are at +1400; they’re the Browns and Dolphins. The Titans have +1800 odds.”

Get the +400 while you can!!

Anti-Polar Bear
02-12-2021, 01:07 PM
Watt just walked away from 17.5 million frogskins. He’s not gonna accept the fucking minimum-wage.

But fear not, uncool and cap clueless Pack fans, the cap can always be cooked.

George Cumby
02-12-2021, 02:31 PM
^ Just keep cookin' them burgers. :-)

Tony Oday
02-12-2021, 02:33 PM
Maybe AR can take a pay cut ala Brady to get some weapons on both sides

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 03:01 PM

Many believe “AR” is willing to do this with more “long term security” which takes us back to Jordan Love. The ball lay’s back again in Gute’s court!!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 03:11 PM
Do it Gute!! Bite the Bullet on your big dumb Fucken draft pick and let’s move FORWARD!!

It’s gotta be sooooooo hard!!

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2021, 03:11 PM

I don’t see them cutting Turner. Maybe you meant Wagner, but there are ways to free up money.

Amos isn’t getting cut, but they can restructure his deal + Big Z + Rodgers.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Yes i realize there will be cuts and restructures. Over the cap says projected cap is $184 mil but I thought they agreed on $180.
28-32 mil still need to trim some ppl. Most teams are gonna have to do some of the same.

Nothing has been agreed on—other than the cap won’t be lower than $170m, but most think it will be around $185m with losses being pushed to future years.

King Friday
02-12-2021, 03:29 PM

Funny...I heard the same refrain when Charles Woodson came to Green Bay.

King Friday
02-12-2021, 03:37 PM

Yep. If Rodgers wants to win, and wants high caliber guys like Watt on the team, time to put up or shut up. Restructure and free up cap space for the next 3-4 years by taking LESS money.

Upnorth
02-12-2021, 03:43 PM
Funny...I heard the same refrain when Charles Woodson came to Green Bay.

Did woodson have 2 severe groin tears in 3 years?

KYPack
02-12-2021, 04:22 PM
Watt just walked away from 17.5 million frogskins. He’s not gonna accept the fucking minimum-wage.

But fear not, uncool and cap clueless Pack fans, the cap can always be cooked.

You can't EVER cook the cap. A lesson clueless Tanky will learn this off season. We have a number of veterans heading into their second deals. You have to pay to keep those guys and we will have to pull some big time manipulations of one, MAYBE two contracts to keep some guys around. JJ Watt? we will have to get rid of some vet deals, not add another one.

Keep working that grill, management is way off in your future.

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 04:23 PM
I don’t see them cutting Turner. Maybe you meant Wagner, but there are ways to free up money.

This is it. Restructure those big three, cut kirksey, Wagner, Preston.... Might be able to then.

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 04:25 PM
You can't EVER cook the cap. A lesson clueless Tanky will learn this off season. We have a number of veterans heading into their second deals. You have to pay to keep those guys and we will have to pull some big time manipulations of one, MAYBE two contracts to keep some guys around. JJ Watt? we will have to get rid of some vet deals, not add another one.

Lol!!!!!!

You've laid out the cap consequences, and how the piper always has to get paid pretty clearly before. Anyone who doesn't get it, will never get it. You can get away with a little extra for a couple years (which they may do now) but eventually you pay for bad contracts.

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 04:29 PM
Covid cap casualty #1

Up next, half the eagles team and about 2 guys from most teams.

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2021, 04:30 PM
Cook the cap and get Watt in the Green and Musta Yella, promptly, and I ain’t just saying this cos Watt is as white as the snow of Greenland. The last time the Packers had a bona fide pass rusher from inside the guts, they won the Super Bowl. 10 years has gone so fast (wake me up when September begins), and Packers still have not found Cullen Jenkins’ replacement.

Jenkins was acquired by Sherman, by the way.

Get Watt, Patrick Peterson and Joey Galloway (#19 of the Kittens) in the Green and Musta Yella. Do your fucking job, German Shepherd!

I like your attitude hahahaha, but I'm not sure how easy or doable it is.

Watt would look real nice next to Kenny Clark, your favorite, APB. If his price or cap number his $7-10 million or more, we probably better pass on him. But if we can get him for $3-6 million - which of course, would be a lot higher average per year with a big bonus spread over a few years, then get him. Peterson is only 30, and he should still be good - probably too good to have a shot at him. And Golladay is damn good, but we really don't need a WR, and he probably would be too expensive too.

I've always said, I liked Sherman's style as GM. Gutekunst is either gonna apply some of that this off-season, or we are gonna be in for a nose dive.

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2021, 04:37 PM

I think we had this discussion before. It kinda depends what you mean by cooking. If you're talking about breaking the rules, no, you can't. But if you're talking about restructuring, converting money to beat the cap, signing guys with large bonuses spread over the contract and very little the first year, yes, that is very doable.

Restructuring Rodgers, Zadarius, and Bakhtiari alone would put us in good shape. Several others would be possible too. Coughing up a lot of bonus i.e. guaranteed money would get us Aaron Jones and probably Linsley too. Handled right, we probably could get Watt, a really good Corner like Desmond King, Bradley Roby, or maybe Richard Sherman, etc.

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 04:45 PM
Tex, if it didn't have consequences, they'd be idiots of course to not spend free extra money. It gets paid one day and when that day comes you're not only paying for today but you're paying for yesterday today and it all crashes down.

Rodgers age, I'm ok to pay later and rebuild. But know that day is coming.

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 04:54 PM
If everyone had free extra cap money to spend without risk and consequence, this isn't a conversation. They and everyone would do it. Since it does have consequences and risk, we should be talking about that as we consider doing it. Just so the whole picture is understood.

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2021, 05:11 PM
RG, what you're talking about is what the Packers offered Aaron Jones that he rejected. What I'm talking about is what he supposedly wants and what we should be offering - a huge bonus spread out over 6-7 years and a tiny first year salary - $35 million bonus with $1 million first year salary, $8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 million for years 2-7. That's $108 million for 7 years, $36 million guaranteed, and just a $6 million cap hit the first year. THAT is what I'm talking about when I say cooking the cap.

If he gets hurt or fades soon, we are screwed, but if he's still good to his early 30s, it's a fair deal.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 06:18 PM
Maybe reading this will help some of you understand what needs to happen and how it works and how it’s more on Gute then really on Rodgers. Pretty good explanation of what I’ve been trying to post with seemingly nobody getting it which is nothing new actually.

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/green-bay-packers/what-green-bay-does-with-rodgers-contract-will-tell-us-if-theyre-all-in/

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 06:20 PM
This whole thing is like a Giant Pimple Coming to a head that all goes through Rodgers for the last time!!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 06:22 PM
Go Win a Super Bowl with Rodgers and Bring Watt home and be able to make some other moves as well or go play Fuck Puddy with Jordan Love!!

It’s that simple!!

Sparkey
02-12-2021, 06:40 PM

With Bahk out at least the first 8 games, there is no way they can cut Turner. His versatility is too valuable to throw away.

Zool
02-12-2021, 06:58 PM

Yeah I meant Wagner. I do think Amos is at risk if they find someone else they want to sign. He turned it on late in the season, but he's not great in coverage.

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 07:00 PM
Rodgers wants security and help through his deal ending in 2023 otherwise it’s time to move on NOW!!!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Yeah I meant Wagner. I do think Amos is at risk if they find someone else they want to sign. He turned it on late in the season, but he's not great in coverage.

Amos is a key piece in this defense and one of the last people the Packers can afford to part ways with!

GB-Brandon
02-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Yep. If Rodgers wants to win, and wants high caliber guys like Watt on the team, time to put up or shut up. Restructure and free up cap space for the next 3-4 years by taking LESS money.

You keep saying this but he wants to restructure. It’s on Gute/Murphy/Ball or whoever makes the decisions over at 1265!!

KYPack
02-12-2021, 09:48 PM
I think we had this discussion before. It kinda depends what you mean by cooking. If you're talking about breaking the rules, no, you can't. But if you're talking about restructuring, converting money to beat the cap, signing guys with large bonuses spread over the contract and very little the first year, yes, that is very doable.

Restructuring Rodgers, Zadarius, and Bakhtiari alone would put us in good shape. Several others would be possible too. Coughing up a lot of bonus i.e. guaranteed money would get us Aaron Jones and probably Linsley too. Handled right, we probably could get Watt, a really good Corner like Desmond King, Bradley Roby, or maybe Richard Sherman, etc.

Tex, yer dreaming. We've got a ton of manipulations contractually just to stay somewhat even. We are approx 32 million over the cap depending on the number that gets hashed out. Restructuring a few deals is NOT gonna put us in good shape. I know you are a huge Aaron Jones fan. He is gone. Part of your "solution" is to offer him a 108 million dollar package? That ain't even happening. The best that can be hoped for is to sign Linsley, but that too, is probably out of our range.

Get JJ Watt and an established corner to boot?

That's a total fantasy

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 10:11 PM
Double

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 10:13 PM
To get Watt:

Cut: Wagner, Kirksey, Preston
Let go: Jones, Lindsley, King, everyone else
Restructure: Rodgers, Z, Amos, Turner

Eventually Adams leaves but we have Lazard and Tonyan coming up

It would be a nice one year shot

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 10:36 PM
Z Clark Watt Gary

That’s as good of a pass rush 4 as there is in the NFL. Good run stopping too. Might have to go with a 4-2 defense a bunch of the time since those are really 4 pure lineman with no real coverage ability in the bunch.

RashanGary
02-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Only downside is Gary would get 10+ sacks with almost constant single blocking and his contract would get unaffordable. Whoever plays corner is going to look good. We could trot out josh Jackson and be fine with this front.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2021, 10:46 PM
Tex, yer dreaming. We've got a ton of manipulations contractually just to stay somewhat even. We are approx 32 million over the cap depending on the number that gets hashed out. Restructuring a few deals is NOT gonna put us in good shape. I know you are a huge Aaron Jones fan. He is gone. Part of your "solution" is to offer him a 108 million dollar package? That ain't even happening. The best that can be hoped for is to sign Linsley, but that too, is probably out of our range.

That's a total fantasy

Some of this true, but I don't think all of it is. We have some prime contracts to restructure that can put us in good shape to sign a guy or two. Yes, we'd lose secondary pieces, but there could be enough to get a couple of better FAs. We are $27m over the current projections of $185m. Here's what I posted in another thread:

Expectations right now are that the cap will be around $185M this year.

Cutting Preston Smith, Christian Kirksey, Dean Lowry, and Ricky Wagner would get the Packers to about $193M.

Reading an article on Packers Wire, the Packers could free up money in 2021 with the following deals:

Aaron Rodgers restructure could free up $13-16M.
Davante Adams extension could free up $4-6M.
Converting David Bakhtiari's roster bonus to a signing bonus would free up around $8.5M.
Billy Turner restructure could free up $3M.
Za'Darius Smith restructure could free up $7-12M.
Adrian Amos restructure could free up $3-4M.

Doing those deal would free up $38.5-$49.5M, so they have some flexibility to free up space and resign their own guys or other FAs. With Gute's admission that the Packers are basically in "win now" mode I think they have flexibility to get some things done.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2021, 10:48 PM
Only downside is Gary would get 10+ sacks with almost constant single blocking and his contract would get unaffordable. Whoever plays corner is going to look good. We could trot out josh Jackson and be fine with this front.

Can Josh Jackson cover for 2 seconds? I'm not sure. It's not that easy. Jackson is not good. He'll probably get a look at safety in the last year of his rookie deal--if he isn't cut to free up a little over $1M. Hollman and Ento intrigue more than Jackson.

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2021, 12:18 AM

That's a total fantasy

KYP, did you read the details? Almost certainly the cap is gonna bounce back more than two years worth in '22. The hurdle to clear is getting by '21. As for that $28 or 32 million figure, Merely restructuring Rodgers, Zadarius, and Bakhtiari can accomplish that. Preston, Turner, maybe Amos, etc. can also be restructured, saving even more. There's no reason to think about losing Adams while he is still in his prime. He should be extended sooner rather than later too, undoubtedly helping the cap also. And if they do it right, Rodgers should get about a 8 or 10 year extension, not only saving massive cap money, but keeping him in Green Bay as long as he wants to play. I think he may be basing that on lasting to at least the age Brady plays to, and Brady is 6 years older.

I'm 50/50 on getting Watt. I've read stories about signing either Sherman or Desmond King, and even Patrick Peterson would be a slim possibility. We damn well better retain Aaron Jones and probably Linsley too. We could do any/all of it - if I was GM, we would.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-13-2021, 03:22 AM
If everyone had free extra cap money to spend without risk and consequence, this isn't a conversation. They and everyone would do it. Since it does have consequences and risk, we should be talking about that as we consider doing it. Just so the whole picture is understood.

The era of “cap hell” has been over for almost two decades. There’s no such fuck as a “cap hell” anymore. Ever since 2006, the NFL has been greedily entrenched in the “bailout” era.

“Backloading” contracts will and do stress the cap somewhat in future years. But the Networks have always been more than happy to bailout the pig owners. And the Networks are about to pay the pigs, perhaps as early as 2022, even more frogskins for the rights to expose us to corporate ads on any given Sunday.

Cook the cap today. Who gives a fuck about being 30 M “over” the cap, all things being equal (things won’t), in ‘22, 50 M in ‘23, and 70 M in ‘24 when the cap’s gonna increase by 50 M, 70 M, and 100 M respectively? Bailouts.

Again, there’s no such fuck as a cap hell anymore. The cap today merely serves an excuse for the pig owners to cut labor expense. Only relevant question is, does pig Jerry Jones want to take home $200 M for fiscal year 2021, or does he hand Mulatto QB Dak Prescott $120 M and take home only $90 M?

Anti-Polar Bear
02-13-2021, 05:40 AM
RG, what you're talking about is what the Packers offered Aaron Jones that he rejected. What I'm talking about is what he supposedly wants and what we should be offering - a huge bonus spread out over 6-7 years and a tiny first year salary - $35 million bonus with $1 million first year salary, $8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 million for years 2-7. That's $108 million for 7 years, $36 million guaranteed, and just a $6 million cap hit the first year. THAT is what I'm talking about when I say cooking the cap.

If he gets hurt or fades soon, we are screwed, but if he's still good to his early 30s, it's a fair deal.

Signing bonuses, the only guaranteed part of an NFL contract, can only be spread out up to a maximum of 5 years. Other than that, what you’ve jotted down is one way to cook the cap.

The Kentucky should certainly heed whatcha gotta say.

Upnorth
02-13-2021, 06:56 AM

You think jones is worth an average of 15.5 million???

With those numbers you let him walk.

King Friday
02-13-2021, 08:52 AM

I agree. No RB is worth that kind of coin. The rookies coming into the league are more ready then ever before. Recent mega signings at RB now look downright foolish, such as Elliott and Gurley. I like Jones a lot as a player, but spending that kind of coin on a RB precludes you from spending the money at other more important positions. Since we already paid Bahk, the writing was kind of on the wall for Jones...along with the Dillon pick.

KYPack
02-13-2021, 08:58 AM
There is no cap hell anymore? Don't try to tell me that. Go on down to NO or up to Boston and tell them they can ignore the cap They are both passing thru the various phases of cap hell right now. So are we. The Packers are about to lose two all-pro talents bc of our cap situation. We are furthermore hamstrung in our efforts to sign new vet talent in lieu of our present cap miseries.

(BTW, thanks to Harvey for posting where there is some gold that we can tap into with our present contracts. But like you said Harve, some of that is true, but could we do all the moves you suggest? I don't think so)

We will lose Jones and Lindsley. We will not be in the "race" for JJ Watt, our cap position doesn't allow it. We may sign a vet CB, but probably not the marquee names that have been kicked about We have other things we have to get working on. Tonyan is an RFA. We need to offer him a good tender to keep him in the fold. We are in cap hell right now. We will field a team and all that, but some good players are going to leave our team to get better contracts to feed their family.

George Cumby
02-13-2021, 09:04 AM
We're all slathered up over Watt, getting all hot and bothered, watch him go the Seattle or some shit.

King Friday
02-13-2021, 09:11 AM
I hope they do what it takes to keep Lindsley. I wish they hadn't paid Bahk. That will be viewed as a mistake moving forward. He's a great player, but we got the bulk of his best years already. We paid way too much to keep him, and we will lose a lot of younger talent as a result. I can stomach losing Jones. I can stomach dumping quite a few of our mediocre defensive players. If it is a choice between Lindsley and Watt, it isn't even a choice. You keep the young All Pro center who should be great for the next 6-8 years.

run pMc
02-13-2021, 04:28 PM
Like Watt, would love to see him healthy and productive for the packers, but it ain't gonna happen. They have to shed a lot of cap, and even then unless they sign him for a very, very deep discount Gute's not gonna sign a guy in his 30's with a long injury history.

They will do something on the DL, but I'm highly skeptical that's the move they make.

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2021, 04:38 PM

The numbers were theoretical - to illustrate taking advantage of the cap using a large bonus. I wasn't aware of what APB told me, the five year thing, but it's still the best way to go anytime, especially in a weird cap year like this one. I honestly don't know what the market figure is for a top rated RB, but I'd sure pay Jones as much or more than Cook or Elliot or Henry or anybody else you can name.

APB, regarding what you said about bailouts, allowing teams to spend their own income at an ever-increasing cap level is definitely not a bailout. Jerry Jones is in it to win it, and empathizing a little bit with his old ass, he wants to get it done sooner rather than later. That is more important than overstuffing his bank account. If he's smart, and I'm pretty sure he is, he will sign Dak on a stretched out contract with a lower cap hit instead of the franchise tag where it kills you the first year and then you lose the guy anyway.

GB-Brandon
02-13-2021, 06:39 PM
Well there is one of the moves.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1360724685584027650?s=21

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 10:07 AM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/14/report-packers-have-interest-in-adding-dl-j-j-watt/

Teamcheez1
02-14-2021, 10:22 AM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/14/report-packers-have-interest-in-adding-dl-j-j-watt/

I really don’t want JJ Watt at this point in his career. Money would be better spent elsewhere.

bobblehead
02-14-2021, 10:38 AM

That's a total fantasy

I have read a group of things they can do that would put them about 15 million under the cap before signing ANYONE. They would be down guys like Lowrey and such. The only real loss would be Preston. Thats all well and good, but it kicks about 30 million down the road. If you accept the big rebuild in 2 years thats fine because you aren't re signing many of the young guys on the team right now.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 10:50 AM
I really don’t want JJ Watt at this point in his career. Money would be better spent elsewhere.

I don’t understand? Everyone wants this big Championship Defense and this is the move that gets us there the quickest with an aging star QB. He rated out at “85.5” in his advanced metrics last season so he can still play. You would have to believe playing alongside Kenny Clark and Z. Smith and Gary would only make him better. Then throw in the fact that he is most likely going to be living a childhood dream of playing for the Packers and I don’t know what more you could as for. This is the move!! The fact that he is gonna come here and probably play for about 10 million less then he could of @ Houston should tell ya something. This really couldn’t get any better. The Packers will need him to stay healthy but that’s the risk and I think they need to put him on a snap count and save him up for the playoffs.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 10:59 AM
JJ Watt will leave every body part he has on Lambeau Field for us. I completely trust this guy to get in phenomenal shape and give the Packers everything he has. Way more then I trust P. Smith and others like Kirksey!! At the 7-10 range I say go for it!! We’re running out of opportunities and chances!!

He is the missing piece on the DL on paper. It’s a glaring hole!! I don’t think the game changer big body DL’s in draft will be on the board when Packers select at 30. This kills two birds with one stone!

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 11:08 AM
This makes way more sense then some stupid Corner!!!

Aren’t people tired of leaving the game in the hands of DB’s? Haven’t you’ve felt enough heartbreak doing this?

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 12:00 PM
Watt gonna get 15 per at least

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 12:14 PM
Watt gonna get 15 per at least

He could of got 17.5 if he stayed in Houston. That’s not the point of “What he can get.” He didn’t leave Houston so he could go get “15” at some other similar situation somewhere else. He has a plan in mind. It was all calculated. We’ll see what the plan was sooner then later.

My $ says he is gonna be a Packer!

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 02:49 PM
Yeah, that’s not happening. He’s gonna get paid. Period.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 03:16 PM
The two teams that sources say he wants to go too can’t pay him 15-17 mil per year. Not even close.

We’ll see.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 03:28 PM
Pittsburgh has younger players in Stephon Truitt and Cameron Heyward who are producing at a very high level. I’m not sure they even have a need for Watt as a starter. He would be more of a rotational piece and they have currently have Chris Wormley. I don’t see a need in Pittsburgh. Certainly not at 15-17 million!!

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 03:31 PM
He will have to go to Cleveland or maybe Indy to get that $. Niners might be able to make it happen depending on what they do. Tampa always being an option.

Spaulding
02-14-2021, 04:37 PM
I would have to believe that if Watt is truly thinking Green Bay is preferred destination (and why wouldn't they be with Rodgers at QB and coming off back to back 13-3 seasons) that if Gute and the front office showed any reciprocating interest that it has a high chance of getting done.

Watt doesn't strike me as the type of guy (obviously could be wrong) looking to cash out big he. He knows he's worth a good chuck but has already made a mountain of money and his desire to win is what drives him. I could see him easily taking around 10mil/year deal and given a desired team a discount to try and get a ring. Is he worth that even though he's been injury prone and is not near the player he was five years ago?

Absolutely. He played all 16 games last year and was still often the focus of opposing defenses. He motivational influence on others can't be underestimated and like prior posters have noted, he doesn't take plays off. When he leaves the field you can pretty much rest he assured he's the player who has nothing left and can look in the mirror with a clean conscience after any loss. Who wouldn't want a defensive leader like him as he makes everyone around him better.

If only we were privy to knowing if he had the Packers at the top of his list or that they were simply equal to the other contending teams (which would greatly decrease our chances of signing in any type of bidding war). I just have to believe that we're in on trying to sign him as if we're not, I'll be extremely disappointed in the front office given our current RDE is Tyler Lancaster.

Saw a FB post asking if we could fund Watt with jersey sales and had to chuckle as I know I'd have one.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 04:48 PM
I would have to believe that if Watt is truly thinking Green Bay is preferred destination (and why wouldn't they be with Rodgers at QB and coming off back to back 13-3 seasons) that if Gute and the front office showed any reciprocating interest that it has a high chance of getting done.

Watt doesn't strike me as the type of guy (obviously could be wrong) looking to cash out big he. He knows he's worth a good chuck but has already made a mountain of money and his desire to win is what drives him. I could see him easily taking around 10mil/year deal and given a desired team a discount to try and get a ring. Is he worth that even though he's been injury prone and is not near the player he was five years ago?

Absolutely. He played all 16 games last year and was still often the focus of opposing defenses. He motivational influence on others can't be underestimated and like prior posters have noted, he doesn't take plays off. When he leaves the field you can pretty much rest he assured he's the player who has nothing left and can look in the mirror with a clean conscience after any loss. Who wouldn't want a defensive leader like him as he makes everyone around him better.

If only we were privy to knowing if he had the Packers at the top of his list or that they were simply equal to the other contending teams (which would greatly decrease our chances of signing in any type of bidding war). I just have to believe that we're in on trying to sign him as if we're not, I'll be extremely disappointed in the front office given our current RDE is Tyler Lancaster.

Saw a FB post asking if we could fund Watt with jersey sales and had to chuckle as I know I'd have one.

This is more of “The Wavelength Of Reality” I believe. If it was all about $ Watt simply would of stayed in Houston(A City He Fell In Love with). He is in no position nor is the market for him to be “Setting the Market” right now.

The teams that need his services, that are contenders along with willingness to spend narrows his “Matches” quickly. I’m pretty certain where the guy wants to Play!! 10mill will be the Max too!!

https://youtu.be/biOpwhy9l9s

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 04:53 PM
He’s going to get paid. 7M is an absolute pipe dream. Double at least and even that is a deal.

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 04:57 PM
Reggie averaged 13 sacks per year between the ages of 32 and 37. Watt is going to be a beast late in his career. 4 years 60M with 20 up front and over 30 in the first two years.

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 04:57 PM
10 is a pipe dream. Period.

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 05:07 PM
4/60 with 20M signing bonus

Base—— dead cap —— cap hit
2 ———20M ————7M
10———15M————15M
14———10M————19M
14———-5M————19M

Watt will look something like that on a contract. Or worse.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 05:30 PM
4/60 with 20M signing bonus

Base—— dead cap —— cap hit
2 ———20M ————7M
10———15M————15M
14———10M————19M
14———-5M————19M

Watt will look something like that on a contract. Or worse.

Once again nobody is disputing that a team out there isn’t willing to pay that contract. You seem to be missing the point on what JJ Watt may value right now though. Time will tell.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 05:35 PM
Pittsburgh isn’t giving him 4 years 60 million. No way in hell with what they have set up and their situation. So basically he is gonna make a lateral move or maybe get on a contending playoff team best case scenario to get that deal. Why not just stay in Houston?

Your making zero sense again RG!

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 05:41 PM
The way your making it sound Houston could of and should of traded him to all these teams at his current contract that he was at and got something for him if it was such a slam dunk.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 06:00 PM
https://247sports.com/Article/JJ-Watt-Houston-Texans-release-Green-Bay-Packers-favorite-free-agent-160864908/

It’s starting to become pretty obvious at +150. Tried telling everyone to get it at +400!!!

And it isn’t gonna be anywhere near 4 years 60 million!

smuggler
02-14-2021, 06:26 PM
If we dump Lowry, really we're only paying 7m/yr more for Watt. Kind of a bargain when you look at it like that.

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Once again nobody is disputing that a team out there isn’t willing to pay that contract. You seem to be missing the point on what JJ Watt may value right now though. Time will tell.

If 12 won’t do it, neither will Watt. Get 12 to extend a year and take like 30 and then you can picture Watt doing it too. If 12 doesn’t, no fucking way Watt comes to be the hero for a pampered bitch.

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 07:09 PM
Cut Lowry (3 M savings)
Cut Preston (8M savings)
Cut Kirksey (5M savings)

That’s 16M plus Bakhs 8M. That should get us to the salary cap. Would still need to restructure Z and Rodgers to get Watt. So we’ll have to see more moves before Watt is a realistic scenario.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 07:14 PM
They can do better then Lowry with a solid draft pick. He needs to go as his hasn’t played anywhere near his pay scale. Consolidating some of his cap savings by cutting him towards Watt is a great way of looking at it.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 07:21 PM
If 12 won’t do it, neither will Watt. Get 12 to extend a year and take like 30 and then you can picture Watt doing it too. If 12 doesn’t, no fucking way Watt comes to be the hero for a pampered bitch.

Everyone keeps saying 12 won’t do it? LOL!! It’s really getting to be too much!! He is playing for the same pay grade as Jarred Goff right now!!! His contract is a bargain. 12 has said on two occasions now he would restructure his deal and possibly taking less(if they get him help) and give him “More Guaranteed $ over the three years” which gives him security!! We keep going round and round on this!!

It’s on Brian Gutekunst pal and his big Jordan Love Pick! If you expect Rodgers to take less with no guaranteed $ past this season then that’s not happening nor should it. He just had the highest graded season in NFL history and he has earned “Three More Years” of guarantees!!!

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 07:31 PM
12 could take a pay cut and doesn’t. Trust me, Watt won’t be coming in and playing for 7-10. Go ahead and mark that down on the list of things you’re wrong about. It’s ever growing.

RashanGary
02-14-2021, 07:32 PM
If anyone could be the hero here, it’s 12. And he won’t.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 07:43 PM
12 could take a pay cut and doesn’t. Trust me, Watt won’t be coming in and playing for 7-10. Go ahead and mark that down on the list of things you’re wrong about. It’s ever growing.

The Max deal on Watt would be close to the Peppers deal which was 3 year 30 Mill and I’m not sure the Packers will move the needle that far. Peppers was genetically a rare breed. Starting to get very risky in with a player at that price tag range and higher in this age group.

For the last time I’m not saying another team won’t pay big $ for him more. I’m saying the Packers porbably won’t. If the Browns or Wash Football Team want to break the bank for him and he wants to play there then go for it!!!

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 07:45 PM

He’s been our Hero for over a decade now playing and making this shitty front office look good!!

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 08:03 PM

One day you want them to trade Rodgers and the next day you want him to take a pay cut? The guy just won the MVP.

Which is it? He said he wants to re-structure and remain a Packer. I don’t know what else the guy can do. Gute has to make it happen from here.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2021, 08:25 PM
See RG, This tells me JJ would rather play for a team that “Wins” and in a State “He Loves” for a Team that’s always been a “Dream” for “Less”!

Looks to me 17.5 million and Losing didn’t Mix for him and got REAL OLD. Why would he go do it and sign up for it all over again? He will take a discount to play with “12”. Your not seeing this too “Clearly” RG.

https://youtu.be/toFXdRIimX0

call_me_ishmael
02-14-2021, 10:44 PM

Why would he? He already is not paid top market for a QB. It's not like Brady was making peanuts. He took a handful mil less probably when he took less. Rodgers is sort of already there relative to his peers.

Bretsky
02-14-2021, 11:32 PM
Why would he? He already is not paid top market for a QB. It's not like Brady was making peanuts. He took a handful mil less probably when he took less. Rodgers is sort of already there relative to his peers.

AROD probably has more money than he'll ever need in his life. I'm not saying he "should".
But he could if he wanted to give GB more cap relief to win now

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-15-2021, 06:32 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/j-j-watt-to-green-bay-packers-source-reveals-likelihood-of-nfl-homecoming

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 09:34 AM
AROD probably has more money than he'll ever need in his life. I'm not saying he "should".

If they gave him more long term security some sources believe he would. Who knows how much. The problem is the Packers haven’t necessarily built a firm layer of trust with their recent actions. It takes both sides in order for this to work.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 09:36 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/j-j-watt-to-green-bay-packers-source-reveals-likelihood-of-nfl-homecoming

Yep, Easy Peasy +400. Pittsburgh was never going to happen. That was the “Sucker Bet” & this whole thing was never about getting paid.

Teamcheez1
02-15-2021, 10:17 AM
Over/under on how many games JJ plays next season before going on season ending IR is 7.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 10:22 AM
Over/under on how many games JJ plays next season before going on season ending IR is 7.

He played in 16 last year so not sure how you come up with that.

Teamcheez1
02-15-2021, 10:30 AM
He played in 16 last year so not sure how you come up with that.

Because he couldn’t finish 3 of the previous 4 seasons and he’s not getting any younger.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Because he couldn’t finish 3 of the previous 4 seasons and he’s not getting any younger.

And that is the calculated risk. It’s why I don’t think teams are gonna line up to pay him 60 million with massive guaranteed $ like RG suggests. It’s why I like him on a limited snap count during the regular season building him up towards the playoffs. The Packers have to have the right plan to make this work.

He held up for over a 1000 snaps last season. I’m not worried about his durability moving forward over any other player. Kenny Clark IMO would have just as much chance of missing time. Injuries happen no matter who we go with. Limiting the snap count is the only sure fire way to put the odds in our favor.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 11:05 AM
https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1361356439466442754?s=20

This just makes too much sense. Someone going “one on one.” It’s the same exact science we need to do with Adams on offense with a no.2 receiver as well.

Then go Win a Super Bowl!!

RashanGary
02-15-2021, 12:32 PM

This is exactly it. If he wants to win as bad as some think, he could do 4 years 120million and make it happen right now.

RashanGary
02-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Rodgers contract (to help load up the team around him for a last run)

4 years 120 million with 60 signing bonus

Year 1 10 million base 15 million signing 25 cap hit (cap savings of 10 million)
Year 2 10 million base 15 million signing 25 cap hit (cap savings of 10 million)
Year 3 20 million base 15 million signing 35 cap hit (cheaper than all top QBs)
Year 4 same

Rodgers takes home 60 mil guaranteed and opens up 10 million in space for the next 2 years and still makes 120 million. Come on hero, be a selfless hero and just make 120 million over the next 4 years so we really can suck your dick like Brandon does.

RashanGary
02-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Could get watt and keep Adams next year too. Come one, Rodgers. Help the team! 120 million should be enough.

RashanGary
02-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Cut a few so/so players, get Rodgers down 10 million and make a run. We need Rodgers to be a hero though, and he’s not.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Year 1 10 million base 15 million signing 25 cap hit (cap savings of 10 million)
Year 2 10 million base 15 million signing 25 cap hit (cap savings of 10 million)
Year 4 same

Rodgers takes home 60 mil guaranteed and opens up 10 million in space for the next 2 years and still makes 120 million. Come on hero, be a selfless hero and just make 120 million over the next 4 years so we really can suck your dick like Brandon does.

Until we hear of “ANY” contract being offered by Gute it’s just a bunch of Fancy Talk. The last thing we need to worry about is “12” hanging this whole thing up over Greed! The Front office is the one that wasted a 1st and 4th pick already and has this whole thing screwed up. Love made 4 mill last year not even suiting up. What about that $ if your really gonna get down to every penny?

Lets see how it plays out. Rodgers has to be offered something or negotiated something in order to accept it. You keep on leaving that part out and putting it all on Rodgers.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 01:34 PM
If “ANYONE” thinks “12” is going to turn down a deal to get JJ Watt here and a legit No.2 receiver which also gives him “3 years of security” for a little less with the Packers then I would call them Fucken Crazy!!

I’m glad it’s finally all coming to a giant Head!

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 01:45 PM
The question really is?

Is Gute/Murphy gonna bring all these great players together and make it work to finally go get us a Super Bowl or is Jordan Love that big of a Fucken Deal? These are once in a lifetime opportunities. I don’t believe Jordan Love is at all. So then it comes down too Ego!

Bottom Line!!

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2021, 02:29 PM

Year 4 same

That's good, but even better is possible. Use the same $30 million per season, but stretch it to 5 years. Make the $60 million a bonus, with just $1 million first year salary. Then $17, 20, 24, and 28 million for years 2 -5. That would be a $13 million cap hit in '21, down from $37 million, a $24 million savings. I don't know if they would be quite that extreme about it, but it certainly could be done. I'd say it is a better bet that Rodgers would be good for another 5 years than either Zadarius or Bakhtiari. We should be able to save $12 to 14 million with some sort of restructure of Zadarius and lesser amounts with Preston, Amos, and several others. We should also be able to save some by doing the Davante Adams deal sooner rather than later. Cutting Kirksey would also save almost $5 million. Altogether, we should be able to save/cook/whatever about $45-50 million.

Adding up the cap number for everybody, it comes to $208 or so million now. That is without figuring the new modification of Bakhtiari. It is also without figuring anything for Aaron Jones, Linsley, Jamal, Lazard, Tonyan, or any other free agents either already have or might want to snag. The chart I saw included a $660,000 figure for the bottom dozen or so on the roster. Whether those same guys are on the team, the number should be the same for whoever has those spots. The cap is projected to be in the $176-180 million range.

Putting all those numbers together, we would have in the range of $30 million against the cap to re-sign Jones and Linsley and maybe Jamal, in addition to Tonyan and Lazard who still should be cheap. Backloading and large bonuses for Jones and Linsley should bring in their cap hits at $6-8 million each even with huge contracts. They say figure $5 million for so for draft picks. That should leave us $10-12 million or more cap hit for signing whoever - Watt, a decent Corner, etc.

As I've said several times, it CAN be done.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 03:07 PM
Good Points Tex but Aaron Jones is a different story. His deal has already been offered and he wants to test the market which will pay him more and in his situation as a late round pick RB and not getting paid all that much with this probably being his only big contract he is in a different situation. Aaron Jones is Gone!! Not sure why we are even talking about him coming back anymore. He refused the deal.

I’m also losing hope they bring Lisnley back. Not sure that will happen this late in the game with nothing even offered thus far.

They drafted a RB in the second round and 3 OL later. Have to believe that’s the plan.

RashanGary
02-15-2021, 03:17 PM
Rodgers should bring his desire to win and how he can help with his contract to the packers if he’s such a hero.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 03:44 PM
Rodgers should bring his desire to win and how he can help with his contract to the packers if he’s such a hero.

His “Desire To Win”?!!!!!!!!!!!! Like his desire to.come back early on a shattered shoulder getting “13 screws” installed in 2017 and coming back Early to help US?!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!!!!!!!!!

Like going out there and WiNNING THE MVP When they BACKDOOR’D HIM and TRADED UP FOR A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND with no legit No.2 in Sight!!!!!?

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING?!!!!!!!!!!

Why don’t you write a Fucken Letter to Gute and Tell him to get the Contract Over to Aaron!!!!! MY GOD!!!!! Gute is HOLDING THE WHOLE SHOW UP!!! This has just gotten Beyond CRAZY!!!!!!

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 03:52 PM
Until I hear about Rodgers turning down some BIG CONTRACT to help the team this is just CRAP!!! GUTE is the GM. Last time I checked it’s his Job to deliver and negotiate the Contract. I thought this guy was supposed to be some Big Genius!!!!

sharpe1027
02-15-2021, 07:23 PM

What has he got to lose? A few million here or there won't change his lifestyle one way or the other. Plus, he'd probably make it all back in endorsements if they win it all.

Bretsky
02-15-2021, 07:24 PM
This is exactly it. If he wants to win as bad as some think, he could do 4 years 120million and make it happen right now.

That was be dam team friendly

How about we guarantee the deal and then trade the motherload of stupidity pick in da Love Machine :)))

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 07:42 PM
Yeah. “Guarantee The Deal.” Rodgers will do it if your gonna actually help him. I don’t know what RG expects Rodgers to do though. It’s not like Rodgers is gonna go drive down to 1265 with a briefcase full of $ and give it back to be some kind of “Hero” with no “Guarantee.”

“Guarantee the Deal” & Trade Love and Admit the Big mistake Gute!! I don’t think Gute does it!!!

RashanGary
02-15-2021, 07:43 PM

How about we guarantee the deal and then trade the motherload of stupidity pick in da Love Machine :)))

It’s team friendly, but that’s the point. If you act like you’re a legacy player, throw a couple million at it and prove it.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 08:11 PM
It’s team friendly, but that’s the point. If you act like you’re a legacy player, throw a couple million at it and prove it.

Well if your a “Legacy GM” then get the hell out of the way and make it HAPPEN!!! Get Aaron in there and have Russ Ball “Buster” write it up!

We don’t want his Pipe Dream draft pick crammed down our throats!!!

call_me_ishmael
02-15-2021, 08:26 PM
Would you take less money? I am a consummate team player but no way in hell would I take a pay cut and I demand to be paid top dollar or I go elsewhere.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 08:37 PM
Would you take less money? I am a consummate team player but no way in hell would I take a pay cut and I demand to be paid top dollar or I go elsewhere.

It’s not so much Rodgers would be taking less $ it’s that Rodgers would restructure his deal with more guaranteed spread out over the remainder of the contract which would give the Packers more cap space this year and Rodgers more security making it harder for the Packers to move him over the next three years. Which brings Jordan Love into the equation.

RG has now parlayed this into that Rodgers should also take a pay cut and I know why he is doing this and that’s is because I don’t think this is going to be a “happy ending”. I believe Gute does not want to give Rodgers that “3 year Leverage & wants to protect his draft pick.” RG is just trying to get out in front of this trying to paint Rodgers as the bad guy for not taking a pay cut when the fact is Gute probably has no intention to begin with in even restructuring Rodgers to begin with Giving Rodgers any leverage past 2021.

That’s what is going down here. A situation that is about to most likely get messy after Gute Fucks up the Watt Signing and it becomes clear that there will be no re-structure with Rodgers.

sharpe1027
02-15-2021, 08:54 PM

Yes. I have already done so in my career. There's a point at which more money doesn't make much difference anymore to some people. It's waaaay less than what he makes for me.

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 08:56 PM
This isn’t a good situation at all. You have sources telling Aaron he should “Ask For More $” which I’m hoping he won’t. We have fans that think Rodgers should “Take a pay cut” and other fans that think “We should trade him”. Then we have a GM that appears to be dug in on his first round QB prospect.

My optimism and it goes way beyond this forum isn’t good for the long term possibilities past 2021 with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. Hoping for the best but there is a long way to go on several fronts.

Hard to believe this guy just won the MVP!

GB-Brandon
02-15-2021, 09:02 PM
JJ Watt really wants to play here. I think they get that deal done when it comes down to it cause he will take a team friendly deal but that’s gonna be about it. They aren’t gonna get a no.2 WR in FA or much else. We’re gonna lose several guys and they won’t get the Rodgers re-structure done.

That’s how I see this going. Any other improvements or filing those holes is gonna have to come from the draft.

RashanGary
02-15-2021, 09:59 PM
Word is the packers and browns at top of the list. Gute should sit down with 12 and see if they can make this happen.

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Good Points Tex but Aaron Jones is a different story. His deal has already been offered and he wants to test the market which will pay him more and in his situation as a late round pick RB and not getting paid all that much with this probably being his only big contract he is in a different situation. Aaron Jones is Gone!! Not sure why we are even talking about him coming back anymore. He refused the deal.

I’m also losing hope they bring Lisnley back. Not sure that will happen this late in the game with nothing even offered thus far.

They drafted a RB in the second round and 3 OL later. Have to believe that’s the plan.

Aaron Jones or his agent rejected the Packers offer because it had too little guaranteed money. As I explained in another thread, what I'm talking about is just the opposite - a huge bonus i.e. guaranteed money with a tiny first year salary, similar to Bakhtiari who made $1.75 million first year salary after the big bonus. It's a slight gamble that Jones doesn't get badly injured or just fades away, but I think that's a gamble worth taking.

I'm just saying what CAN be done, also what I WOULD do. It will piss me off extremely if we lose Jones who I see as second only to Rodgers in importance, oh ok, tied for second with Jaire and Davante.

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2021, 10:36 PM

When I Googled "Packers salary cap", the chart I saw showed something like a $7 million cap it if we cut Love. It's a helluva lot cheaper to keep him whether or not we get any use out of him, I'd try the guy at wildcat, kick returner, and WR.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2021, 11:43 PM
When I Googled "Packers salary cap", the chart I saw showed something like a $7 million cap it if we cut Love. It's a helluva lot cheaper to keep him whether or not we get any use out of him, I'd try the guy at wildcat, kick returner, and WR.

You’re correct that cutting Love would cost $7.3m on this year’s cap. Love at WR and KR is just dumb. The guy ran a 4.74 40 at the combine. He isn’t Taysom Hill—who ran a 4.48 40. Love is slower than Robert Tonyan.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-16-2021, 08:34 AM
You’re correct that cutting Love would cost $7.3m on this year’s cap. Love at WR and KR is just dumb. The guy ran a 4.74 40 at the combine. He isn’t Taysom Hill—who ran a 4.48 40. Love is slower than Robert Tonyan.

I ain’t sure what’s more fucked up: Tex being racist and asserting that yet another black QB should be moved to WR, or you being sloth-ist and asserting that slow players can’t play wideout.

You know, Bretsky’s boy, ex-Badger great Cypress Hill ran 4.7 at the combine last year. While I am glad the German Shepherd didn’t draft that sloth, that slow time didn’t handicap ole Cypress from making the Kittens 53.

Zool
02-16-2021, 09:16 AM

The only salary cap for you is income of the org. It's not exactly the same thing.

GB-Brandon
02-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Aaron Jones or his agent rejected the Packers offer because it had too little guaranteed money. As I explained in another thread, what I'm talking about is just the opposite - a huge bonus i.e. guaranteed money with a tiny first year salary, similar to Bakhtiari who made $1.75 million first year salary after the big bonus. It's a slight gamble that Jones doesn't get badly injured or just fades away, but I think that's a gamble worth taking.

I'm just saying what CAN be done, also what I WOULD do. It will piss me off extremely if we lose Jones who I see as second only to Rodgers in importance, oh ok, tied for second with Jaire and Davante.

We’ll get ready to get “Extremely Pissed” cause he ain’t coming back for any deal that the Packers haven’t already offered other then maybe few dollars more in Guaranteed $ which still won’t make a difference.

GB-Brandon
02-16-2021, 10:05 AM
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/jj-watt-is-seriously-considering-the-browns-as-one-of-his-options-because-they-have-what-he-wants-sources-say.html

Cleveland being a place I noted as “Willing To & Being Able to Pay the big contract”. If that’s what JJ needs or wants then it’s a done deal.

call_me_ishmael
02-16-2021, 11:14 AM
The only salary cap for you is income of the org. It's not exactly the same thing.

Great point

King Friday
02-16-2021, 04:35 PM

Rodgers makes multiples more in pay from hocking products than he does playing football. He stands to make even more in that regard if he wins another Super Bowl. It is in his best interest from a financial standpoint to take LESS money from the Packers to help them achieve a title, which would earn him tenfold what he can possibly get as a salary playing football.

Teamcheez1
02-16-2021, 06:31 PM
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/jj-watt-is-seriously-considering-the-browns-as-one-of-his-options-because-they-have-what-he-wants-sources-say.html

Cleveland being a place I noted as “Willing To & Being Able to Pay the big contract”. If that’s what JJ needs or wants then it’s a done deal.
The primary reason for choosing the Browns is the proximity to the Cleveland Clinic to deal with all his injuries.

GB-Brandon
02-16-2021, 06:47 PM
The primary reason for choosing the Browns is the proximity to the Cleveland Clinic to deal with all his injuries.

Would I rather they use the $ and sign WR Corey Davis and Trade up in the draft and get DT, Iowa, Daviyon Nixon? YES!!!!

Do I trust Gute to do that? NO!!!!

This is probably our best chance! Which is a better chance then “Team Northwestern”

Bretsky
02-16-2021, 06:59 PM

Wasn't the dude a freak athlete ? I'm sincerely asking; I thought that's why you pick a guy who's not near ready to play and needs development.

GB-Brandon
02-16-2021, 07:04 PM
We could trade J. Love to the Redskins right now probably for their 1st!!! They are so hard up they would do it!!

I’m not even joking!!

HarveyWallbangers
02-16-2021, 09:11 PM
Wasn't the dude a freak athlete ? I'm sincerely asking; I thought that's why you pick a guy who's not near ready to play and needs development.

This tells me you know nothing about the guy—yet dislike him. Nobody knows how long it will take for him to develop. He’s a good athlete—like a Mahomes or Rodgers, not Lamar Jackson or Taysom Hill. He has a strong arm. Pretty accurate and nice touch. Can throw off platform. He had a great sophomore year, but made a lot of bad decisions his junior year—after most of the offensive starters at Utah State had graduated. I attribute it mostly to him pressing—like Favre in his bad years when the talent surrounding him wasn’t good. Dude was a first round pick because of his arm talent—not his athletic ability.

Here’s why he was drafted in the first round:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n8oMO7DZ97I

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/love-would-go-above-fields-2021-former-nfl-exec/

texaspackerbacker
02-16-2021, 10:30 PM
APB, Are you talking about Cephus?

OK, Harvey, don't play him at WR hahahaha. I doubt he is any slower than Jamal Williams, though, at KR. Maybe try him at holder too. I suppose he's too small for TE too. So in addition to wildcat, at least let him run down and cover kicks.

HarveyWallbangers
02-17-2021, 09:09 AM
You can probably count Watt out, if the story I just read is true. It stated that Watt wants to make his market value and the writer suggested that could be up to $17m/year. If money is his top objective, then the Packers (and Steelers) won't be able to compete with the likes of the Browns (who have around $40M more cap space than the Packers) or Titans and Bills (who have around $20M more than the Packers).

I wouldn't sign him for that kind of money. I'd be willing to go to $10-12M/year.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-17-2021, 09:28 AM
You can probably count Watt out, if the story I just read is true. It stated that Watt wants to make his market value and the writer suggested that could be up to $17m/year. If money is his top objective, then the Packers (and Steelers) won't be able to compete with the likes of the Browns (who have around $40M more cap space than the Packers) or Titans and Bills (who have around $20M more than the Packers).

I wouldn't sign him for that kind of money. I'd be willing to go to $10-12M/year.

Yeah, I read same article. Earlier article I saw said it was down to 3 teams (was 4 last week). Cleveland, Packers and one other, Pittsburgh I think. Article said Packers were more of a long shot than other two. I wonder what his Dad and Mom are whispering in his ear? His wife?

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 09:49 AM
Bye Bye JJ. Have fun in Cleveland!!!

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 10:14 AM
This Badger actually makes way more Sense!!!!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/james-white-14541/market-value/

https://youtu.be/Oo8tBKpqHQ0

call_me_ishmael
02-17-2021, 11:31 AM
There's a lot to be said for wanting to win a super bowl but I think it'd be a tough choice to choose a super bowl on a *second team* over an extra 8-10M, maybe 16-20M over two years. That's a lot of money for his kids.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-17-2021, 11:35 AM

If Watt indeed wants $17 M/year, then that’s certainly feasible for the Packers.

Give Watt, say, a 4 year $70 M contract with $30 M in signing bonus. Structure the contract to include a $5 M base salary for 2021 ($12.5 M cap hit) and a $5 M base salary plus a $3 M roster bonus for 2022 ($15.5 M cap hit).

Let everyone and their baby’s mamas know that the contract pretty much is just a 2 year deal. Essentially, Watt pockets $43 M over two years and he gets to enter free agency again sooner rather than later. “Dead money” likely won’t be an issue in 2023, especially with new, even more lucrative, deals with the Networks being imminent. And the Great Arm of Butte could be Bruce “Aryans” new hotshot QB in Tampa by then.

$43 M is alotta money to a burger flipper like moi. Chump change to the Packers, and they could regroup that frogskins easily in 99 jersey sales. People tend to buy the jersey of the jock whose race they identified with. That’s why Claymaker and Hawk sold so many jerseys in predominantly Caucasiod Wisconsin.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 11:41 AM
If Watt indeed wants $17 M/year, then that’s certainly feasible for the Packers.

Give Watt, say, a 4 year $70 M contract with $30 M in signing bonus. Structure the contract to include a $5 M base salary for 2021 ($12.5 M cap hit) and a $5 M base salary plus a $3 M roster bonus for 2022 ($15.5 M cap hit).

Let everyone and their baby’s mamas know that the contract pretty much is just a 2 year deal. Essentially, Watt pockets $43 M over two years and he gets to enter free agency again sooner rather than later. “Dead money” likely won’t be an issue in 2023, especially with new, even more lucrative, deals with the Networks being imminent. And the Great Arm of Butte could be Bruce “Aryans” new hotshot QB in Tampa by then.

$43 M is alotta money for a burger flipper like moi. But the Packers could regroup that frogskins easily in 99 jersey sales. People tend to buy the jersey of the jock whose race they identified with. That’s why Claymaker and Hawk sold so many jerseys in predominantly Caucasiod Wisconsin.

He’s not Reggie!! God didn’t speak to him in a dream!! It’s gotten way way carried away.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 11:47 AM
Risk is one thing but 17 million on a guy that could easily rip a pectoral muscle in training camp is getting way way too rich for my blood. The risk factor is just too high at that $. Let Cleveland do it.

We could get both Corey Davis and James White and solve the whole offense for probably less then that!!! Both considerably younger players.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 11:59 AM
Cleveland has a lot of holes on that defense and that team could easily regress in a very competitive AFC North. I don’t consider them a heavy Super Bowl contender with the likes of the Chiefs and Bills etc etc. For all the talk Watt just wanted to get out of chaotic situation in Houston and get into a better situation(which isn’t saying much) and get paid. That’s how this is shaping up.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 12:03 PM
Green Bay is the Best Situation for Watt hands down “Except The $.”

hoosier
02-17-2021, 01:35 PM
It’s gotten way way carried away.

If you would just put this in all caps and throw in some random quotation marks, this could be your own unique GBB signature!

RashanGary
02-17-2021, 01:35 PM
Reggie signed for 4 years 17 million in the 90s. So something like that, maybe a little more, like 7 mil per year makes sense.

call_me_ishmael
02-17-2021, 01:43 PM
Reggie signed for 4 years 17 million in the 90s. So something like that, maybe a little more, like 7 mil per year makes sense.

Contracts are greater than 10x what they were then, though. Brett Favre made less than 4M on his second contract.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-17-2021, 01:49 PM
Contracts are greater than 10x what they were then, though. Brett Favre made less than 4M on his second contract.

True, but I read JJ has already made over $100 million. I mean, honestly, when does anybody have enough money? Maybe there is some truth in the rumors he just wants a crack at a Superbowl. I guess we will know soon enough..

texaspackerbacker
02-17-2021, 01:55 PM
Great as J.J. Watt has been, he doesn't quite come up to the level of dominance Reggie was still at when the Packers signed him. And Reggie didn't have the home state thing going for him. On the other hand, CMI is closer to correct than RG on the inflation of contracts in a quarter century or so. I'd say maybe $10-12 million a year now is the equivalent of $4.25 then. I think we can get J.J. for maybe $5 or 6 million a year on a 3-4 year contract.

call_me_ishmael
02-17-2021, 02:12 PM
True, but I read JJ has already made over $100 million. I mean, honestly, when does anybody have enough money? Maybe there is some truth in the rumors he just wants a crack at a Superbowl. I guess we will know soon enough..

I agree with that but would you take less money? Maybe you would, I dunno. I probably would not personally. Mo money mo problems but also mo prosperity and less worries to some extent.

Tony Oday
02-17-2021, 02:15 PM
I agree with that but would you take less money? Maybe you would, I dunno. I probably would not personally. Mo money mo problems but also mo prosperity and less worries to some extent.

at $100 million you have no problems senor.

HarveyWallbangers
02-17-2021, 02:21 PM

$43 M is alotta money to a burger flipper like moi. Chump change to the Packers, and they could regroup that frogskins easily in 99 jersey sales. People tend to buy the jersey of the jock whose race they identified with. That’s why Claymaker and Hawk sold so many jerseys in predominantly Caucasiod Wisconsin.

We need that cap hit closer to $5M this year--rather than $12.5M--or we aren't going to get much else done. While I think he's still a very good player, I would not go that far for Watt--not with his recent injury history. I could see that turning into a Joe Johnson redux. It would have to have games played incentives and maybe some "not likely to be earned" incentives that would likely be earned (e.g. 6+ sacks), so that the NLTBE incentive goes on next year's cap.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-17-2021, 02:23 PM
at $100 million you have no problems senor.

Right, I guess I am just old. I have no clue how you would spend that much money. I have 1 million and it just sits there, and I still do everything I want..

Spaulding
02-17-2021, 02:29 PM
I wonder if his wife (Kealia Ohai) playing in Chicago might have any additional impact on his signing. I realize that game weeks leave little free time for the players but on a short week or an extra day off due to scheduling, being within short driving distance of your wife's location might have a reasonable draw. Obviously there are further factors where she might be on the road that day, etc. but you have to think the distance being being within driving distance as would his Parent's home might have some impact. Then again when you make the kind of money JJ makes, a charter jet might be the thinking and so distance is less of a deal.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 03:24 PM
The thing is the guy was actually seriously contemplating retirement just a few years ago. How much of these sources can we believe and what really is making JJ tick right now is going to determine all this. As posted Green Bay fits “Everything You Could Think He Would Want” other then the salary he was making in Houston. Other then his brothers I don’t see the fit in Pittsburgh at all. I’m sure he is getting flattered right now with all these teams making him offers but him “Saying Yes” is a whole different thing. It’s probably really hard for him. He probably really wants to play for Green Bay and there is probably a difference of somewhere around 10 million dollars a year in making that decision. It’s a Near Perfect Scenario for him in Green Bay. What’s that worth to him? We’re gonna find out soon enough.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-17-2021, 03:33 PM
All gas, no brakes..

RashanGary
02-17-2021, 04:17 PM

I was using sarcasm. Brandon suggests a 7M / year deal for Ol number 99 there. Just do it Gute, dial it up. All on you.

hoosier
02-17-2021, 04:18 PM
All the speculation about what Watt would or should be willing to sign for is leaving out an important factor. It's not just about whether you do or don't already have enough money. When you accept a discounted offer, especially when you leave a large chunk of money on the table ($10M/year vs. $17M as some are proposing), your decision has a negative effect on the earning power of all the other players in the league. Your "hometown discount" depresses the market, affecting not only guys like Watt who have already banked a considerable amount but also the up and coming guys who are negotiating their second contract. That makes the owners very happy. The players union, not so much.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 04:46 PM
I was using sarcasm. Brandon suggests a 7M / year deal for Ol number 99 there. Just do it Gute, dial it up. All on you.

Tex is talking 5-6!! I said somewhere between 7-10 with 10 being the Max the Packers should go and I stand by that.

What someone is willing to pay and what they are worth are two entirely different things!!

run pMc
02-17-2021, 04:50 PM
I think expecting a hometown discount in the range of 40 or 50% is pretty naive. 10%, sure. These guys understand they have to get what they can, while they can.

The hometown discount concept is far, far less appealing than playing for a winner/contender.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 04:57 PM
It’s just comical. People think I say “We Need an All-Pro At Every Position.” LOL!! That’s not what I say at all!! You can’t just jump off the reservation every time you want a player. I’ll say the same thing about Corey Davis too when the time comes. if the Jets line up and offer Davis 17 mill per then the Packers shouldn’t match. You do have to stay within certain principles or this thing will go South Real Fast!

RashanGary
02-17-2021, 04:59 PM
I think expecting a hometown discount in the range of 40 or 50% is pretty naive. 10%, sure. These guys understand they have to get what they can, while they can.

The hometown discount concept is far, far less appealing than playing for a winner/contender.

10% makes sense. Same for Rodgers. You get your stars on 10% less and that opens things up. Expecting 10M per for 32 year old JJ Watt is just wishful thinking.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 05:01 PM

Fine, but JJ Watt was in a deal and probably wasn’t playing up to that contract when you consider his sack numbers and availability over the last few years. So are you paying premium dollars for the “Name” or the “Current Production”?

Are you reaching that he is gonna regain a certain level of play at 32 after a bunch of injuries? What exactly is the vision of what your getting for 17 million dollars a year?

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 05:06 PM
10% makes sense. Same for Rodgers. You get your stars on 10% less and that opens things up. Expecting 10M per for 32 year old JJ Watt is just wishful thinking.

Then go to Cleveland cause it’s an overinflated number to begin with if people are being honest. Cleveland Loves to make these types of deals and they almost NEVER WORK!!!

RashanGary
02-17-2021, 05:08 PM
Fine, but JJ Watt was in a deal and probably wasn’t playing up to that contract when you consider his sack numbers and availability over the last few years. So are you paying premium dollars for the “Name” or the “Current Production”?

Are you reaching that he is gonna regain a certain level of play at 32 after a bunch of injuries? What exactly is the vision of what your getting for 17 million dollars a year?

Watt will get 15 sacks per year for a couple more years. And he’s a good run player, instinctive, smart and plays overall defense at a really high level. He’ll be one of the best lineman in football for a few more years.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 05:10 PM

Let’s put Rodgers at 45 million then and deduct 10 percent with this stupid formula!!!!! Where does that get us Einstein?!!!!!

MY GOD!!!!!

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 05:19 PM
Watt will get 15 sacks per year for a couple more years. And he’s a good run player, instinctive, smart and plays overall defense at a really high level. He’ll be one of the best lineman in football for a few more years.

He’s had one 15 sack season in the last 5 seasons(only 1 10 sack season at that) so your “Reaching” big time!! It’s no sure thing that’s for sure so no dice on no 17 million per with tons of guaranteed $ on a multi year deal! Cleveland is Fucken Crazy!!

Watt should sign a one year deal with us and go from there. If he really wants to lock the Packers into a long term deal that’s what he needs to do.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 05:29 PM
If Playing in Green Bay is really on JJ’s bucket list and winning a Super Bowl Etc Etc Etc. Sign a ONE YEAR DEAL and then go cash in on the Browns if your still hard up for $ or go play with your brothers. They aren’t going anywhere!!!

That’s IT!!

bobblehead
02-17-2021, 06:06 PM

Sorry, JJ didn't want to come home when he was a huge asset, I'm not paying him to come home when he is surrounded with uncertainty. $3 million would be my max. He is as likely to be hurt by the playoffs as he is to play in them so I'm not paying him just cuz he is a native.

bobblehead
02-17-2021, 06:07 PM
All the speculation about what Watt would or should be willing to sign for is leaving out an important factor. It's not just about whether you do or don't already have enough money. When you accept a discounted offer, especially when you leave a large chunk of money on the table ($10M/year vs. $17M as some are proposing), your decision has a negative effect on the earning power of all the other players in the league. Your "hometown discount" depresses the market, affecting not only guys like Watt who have already banked a considerable amount but also the up and coming guys who are negotiating their second contract. That makes the owners very happy. The players union, not so much.

Hard cap Hoosier. The only thing that affects a players earnings is what an owner is willing to pay them.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 06:33 PM

Don’t forget the fact that you have a handful of teams that are usually “Setting The Market” with players every off-season. You know the teams? The ones that are constantly turning their rosters over every 2-3 years. The Jets, Jags, Bears, Broncos, Browns, Bucc’s, Wash Football Team, Raiders and lining up to overpay free agents over and over.

These culprits are just as guilty to the downside. They tank and then horde cap space for a year or two then come out willing to overpay anyone they can get their hands on.

hoosier
02-17-2021, 07:40 PM
Hard cap Hoosier. The only thing that affects a players earnings is what an owner is willing to pay them.

NFL hard cap doesn't mean every last dollar gets spent. Browns had, what, $30M left in cap space in 2021? Salary negotiations regularly take into account recent contracts signed by comparable players.

sharpe1027
02-17-2021, 08:47 PM

Maybe for a player extending a contract, if their agent is too crappy to make the case to exclude exceptions like that. On the open market, you get what the highest bidder offers.

GB-Brandon
02-17-2021, 09:34 PM
The Browns did this exact same shit last year with Jadeveon Clowney! Same exact game. They jumped right in there right out the gate and offered the Most which was like 18 million! Clowney held out for 20 and then offers started disappearing and he ended up with “13” after incentives with the Titans. We’ll see how Watt wants to play this but $ is going to dry up even faster this offseason and he is 5 years older then Clowney with similar injury concerns.

Clowney finished the season with Zero Sacks BTW.

RashanGary
02-18-2021, 11:08 AM
JJ Watt is like Woodson 10 years ago, a truly elite player. Clowney is a horrible comparison.

GB-Brandon
02-18-2021, 11:46 AM
JJ Watt is like Woodson 10 years ago, a truly elite player. Clowney is a horrible comparison.

I was more or less showing “What The Browns Do” and I wouldn’t pay either of them that kind of $. I certainly would take Watt over Clowney though.

texaspackerbacker
02-18-2021, 01:32 PM
I've seen enough Houston games the last couple of years to be hopeful he still is good. He was doubled teamed or more on virtually every pass play, and he still had some success. Playing next to Clark, and with the Packers' OLBs, he should have a lot more success.

GB-Brandon
02-18-2021, 02:08 PM
I've seen enough Houston games the last couple of years to be hopeful he still is good. He was doubled teamed or more on virtually every pass play, and he still had some success. Playing next to Clark, and with the Packers' OLBs, he should have a lot more success.

This i would agree with and why I do want the Packers to sign him along with the intangibles but when calculating the injury history and the Packers other needs it needs to be done contractually right which so all goals/needs can be attained. There is a lot in this for JJ Watt.

KYPack
02-18-2021, 02:45 PM

Watt was the most double team edge rusher in the league (30%). The second most double team guy was our Z Smith at 29%. That stat must have the Pack thinking.....

HarveyWallbangers
02-18-2021, 03:35 PM

Is that really true? There have been players who have taken a discount in the twilight of their careers (Tom Brady is the biggest example). It really hasn’t depressed the market.

Upnorth
02-20-2021, 06:57 AM
My opinion of watt has trended up a great deal but any team that gave him 17m per is foolishly ignoring his injury risk. 10m per is still a tremendous risk but one I think he could handle in a smart rotation, with less work at the beginning of the year.but

Unfortunately every year there are foolish teams

Sparkey
02-20-2021, 08:47 AM
Give him a 5yr/51million deal.
20mil Signing bonus
3mil roster bonus each March (yr 2-5)
Yearly base 1mil, 2mil, 5mil, 6mil
Games played bonus 8+ 500,000; 12+ 500,000
Probowl bonus 250,000 each year

First year cap hit 5 million

run pMc
02-20-2021, 10:22 AM

Except in the last two seasons he's had 4 and 5 sacks respectively. The guy is a month shy of 32 and has an injury history...he's on the downside of his career, he's not a 15 sack-a-year player anymore, but you could get 10 from him which isn't bad at all. Playing with Z, Gary, KC would certainly free someone up on the pass rush, and he's a big improvement over Lowry/Lancaster.

I like him plenty but I just don't know how he's gonna get signed by GB when there are teams like NE with tons of cap space who could make a pitch for him. Gute and Ball have to make more cap room just to sign draft picks.
It's fun to dream and talk about, but consider me very skeptical this signing happens.

texaspackerbacker
02-20-2021, 03:35 PM
I like Sparkey's plan too, but I also am thinking it is 50/50 at best we get him.

bobblehead
02-21-2021, 11:14 AM
NFL hard cap doesn't mean every last dollar gets spent. Browns had, what, $30M left in cap space in 2021? Salary negotiations regularly take into account recent contracts signed by comparable players.

Under collective bargaining agreements the teams are required to spend a pretty high portion of the cap. They can carry amounts over, but have to meet that number over a given time frame. If JJ signs for league minimum it actually puts MORE money in younger guys pockets, not less.

GB-Brandon
02-21-2021, 11:43 AM
Watt isn’t gonna sign for the league minimum nor should he. He played a thousand snaps last season and his advanced metrics rated very high. He was doubled more then anyone else in the entire league. Sacks don’t measure everything. While 17 million is out of question the league minimum is completely ridiculous on the other end of the spectrum.

Upnorth
02-21-2021, 08:17 PM
I would like to see a 2 yr heavily incentivised package base 8mil with up to 8 mil for incentives like snaps games pressures and sacks.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Watt was the most double team edge rusher in the league (30%). The second most double team guy was our Z Smith at 29%. That stat must have the Pack thinking.....

Actually, Z-Smith was gang blocked only 27.2% of the time.

That’s 1.8% less than 29%. 1.8% ain’t much, but consider this: Homo sapiens share 97% of their DNA with Orangutans. The 3% difference is what makes me wiser than orangutans like Mike McCarthy and Tony O’Day.

KYPack
02-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Actually, Z-Smith was gang blocked only 27.2% of the time.

That’s 1.8% less than 29%. 1.8% ain’t much, but consider this: Homo sapiens share 97% of their DNA with Orangutans. The 3% difference is what makes me wiser than orangutans like Mike McCarthy and Tony O’Day.

Goiddamn, Tanky. You are right. This is the first post you made I can remember that isn't a lie or some goofy bullshit. This might be a positive step forward for you.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-22-2021, 12:44 PM
Goiddamn, Tanky. You are right. This is the first post you made I can remember that isn't a lie or some goofy bullshit. This might be a positive step forward for you.

Wait, the part about me being wiser than Tony O’Day ain’t goofy? Must be true, eh?

Anti-Polar Bear
02-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Btw, Kentucky, here’s a nice article in which high ranking suits in the NFL talk about cooking the cap (“There’s always a lever you can pull”):

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/money-isnt-issue-for-packers-watt

RashanGary
02-22-2021, 01:35 PM
Btw, Kentucky, here’s a nice article in which high ranking suits in the NFL talk about cooking the cap (“There’s always a lever you can pull”):

There is play in which year the money falls, but the money always falls. If it was free money, it wouldn’t be a topic.

KYPack
02-22-2021, 03:03 PM

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/money-isnt-issue-for-packers-wattBut that isn't cooking the cap. Cap cooking implies you can make an unlimited number of maneuvers to get the players you want. There are real limits to what you can do. This scenario to sign Watts involved some moves with player buy-in. One major player refuses that offer and the whole scheme is down the tubes.

You usually invoke the "cap cook" to sign whatever is your latest fan boy fav. It doesn't work that way. SOMETIMES you can pull a lever, but you usually only get to pull it once.

Maybe you can hire out to the Saints. They'd like to figure out how to fix the cap hell they are in right now.

RashanGary
02-22-2021, 05:56 PM
Maybe you can hire out to the Saints. They'd like to figure out how to fix the cap hell they are in right now.

This is a really good example of cap hell and pulling that lever is what gets you there eventually.

GB-Brandon
02-22-2021, 06:05 PM
A Global Pandemic happened. Not really sure there was anyway to prepare other then not field a competitive team. Yeah, the Saints pushed $ back on the Drew Bree’s run and that run is now over. Bree’s is 42 and retired. The Packers aren’t there yet if they don’t want to be. They have a path as Rodgers is “37” and can continue for at least five more years pushing back with “12’s” cooperation.

Will there be an end doing this? Yes, but it won’t be until 2026 unless Rodgers suffers a major career ending injury. This is the chance that needs to be taken and gives the Packers the best chance moving forward. If you can’t bet on Aaron Rodgers then I’m not sure who you can bet on!!!

Fritz
02-23-2021, 12:11 PM
But that isn't cooking the cap. Cap cooking implies you can make an unlimited number of maneuvers to get the players you want. There are real limits to what you can do. This scenario to sign Watts involved some moves with player buy-in. One major player refuses that offer and the whole scheme is down the tubes.

You usually invoke the "cap cook" to sign whatever is your latest fan boy fav. It doesn't work that way. SOMETIMES you can pull a lever, but you usually only get to pull it once.

Are you suggesting that Tank is a lever-puller??

bobblehead
02-23-2021, 12:34 PM

While its true you can mostly push it down the road (until you run out of pavement), I still don't want to pay JJ what some stupid GM will pay him. I would rather pay guys like Cory Davis and then bargain hunt for guys like Ty Montgomery. There will be so many talented players that have to settle for smaller deals this year. Find me a RT that is flying under the radar.

smuggler
02-23-2021, 10:21 PM
Compare what Preston is getting with what people are thinking JJ might get. It makes sense to dump Preston and it probably makes sense to sign JJ, assuming the medicals all check out. In his case, they may not.

Upnorth
02-24-2021, 05:54 AM
Compare what Preston is getting with what people are thinking JJ might get. It makes sense to dump Preston and it probably makes sense to sign JJ, assuming the medicals all check out. In his case, they may not.

If we can restructures d adams, rodgers and p smith (with a minor pay cut) contracts we can get both. Give Adams a 4 yr, rodgers a 3 yr and Smith and watt 2 or 3 yr contracts.

I said somewhere having z p gary and watt in rotation... That is destructive force. Plus everyone is a bit more rested.

texaspackerbacker
02-24-2021, 01:52 PM
Good Post, Upnorth. I was thinking too, we can get both. Clearly Watt is better than P. Smith, but Preston does do some things Watt doesn't like occasional adequate pass coverage.

RashanGary
02-24-2021, 03:09 PM
Good Post, Upnorth. I was thinking too, we can get both. Clearly Watt is better than P. Smith, but Preston does do some things Watt doesn't like occasional adequate pass coverage.

Preston appeared in poor shape coming back and I think his play spoke to that. If Preston was a really driven and focused guy, I think he brings a lot to the table as far as opening up the playbook. But unfortunately he’s just so/so in his offseason work. Gary is grinding like a psycho while Preston chills. Gary should pass him.

GB-Brandon
02-24-2021, 03:47 PM
That’s the thing about P. Smith that is concerning is your paying all that $ to a player that can’t even keep himself in shape on his own. For a true professional getting paid all that $ that is completely unacceptable. He has enough $ to buy an in home gym. “LAZY” and that was his tag in Washington. Gute made the signing!! He is one of those guys that needs to be micro-managed.

Their is another guy that people have “Dreams” about in this category too!!!

GB-Brandon
02-24-2021, 03:53 PM
You need to do your due diligence on these players and find out what their Fucken habits are before you invest soooooo much!

Your supposed to be some big high level exec with a plethora of resources & information!! How can a guy like me know with limited sources and info know and Gute doesn’t?

RashanGary
02-24-2021, 04:42 PM
Tennessee, Buffalo and Green Bay the last three teams in the Watt sweepstakes. Go pack go.

GB-Brandon
02-24-2021, 05:40 PM
Like I said after all the dust settles and smoke clears I expect him to sign with Packers on a “One Year Deal” around 7-10 million.

bobblehead
02-25-2021, 08:43 AM
Preston appeared in poor shape coming back and I think his play spoke to that. If Preston was a really driven and focused guy, I think he brings a lot to the table as far as opening up the playbook. But unfortunately he’s just so/so in his offseason work. Gary is grinding like a psycho while Preston chills. Gary should pass him.

This appeared to be the reality. Not sure I saw any reports Preston was out of shape, but he clearly didn't perform well. Some guys get paid and thats the end of it. If its true I would probably fly to preston for a meet up the day before we can release him and see what he looks like. Watch a workout and go from there.

bobblehead
02-25-2021, 08:44 AM
The best reason to sign JJ would be so he can tell TJ about the all world facilities and atmosphere. Of course if we had just drafted TJ this wouldn't be an issue.

Fritz
02-25-2021, 09:39 AM
This appeared to be the reality. Not sure I saw any reports Preston was out of shape, but he clearly didn't perform well. Some guys get paid and thats the end of it. If its true I would probably fly to preston for a meet up the day before we can release him and see what he looks like. Watch a workout and go from there.

I did read in the JSO that Preston Smith came into camp kinda soft and puffy. But would he agree to a meat and greet (pun intended) so they could look him over and decide whether or not to release him based on his shape? I don't know how that stuff works.

I don't want JJ Watt. Too big a risk. They've got more important players to sign. Watt is starting to break down. You want to pay five million a year for someone who's getting worse and worse? That's like signing that tight end from a couple years ago who had been an all pro but was a piece of poo for the Packers. I think they finally released him mid-season. He sucked.

SudsMcBucky
02-25-2021, 10:04 AM
Reports are coming out that there's at least 1 offer to JJ for 16-18 million. If THAT's what it takes, no thanks. We have way too many more fish to fry than to tie that much up when we're already so strapped on the cap.

RashanGary
02-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Reports are coming out that there's at least 1 offer to JJ for 16-18 million. If THAT's what it takes, no thanks. We have way too many more fish to fry than to tie that much up when we're already so strapped on the cap.

This is what I expected, i was thinking something like Z

Vincenzo
02-25-2021, 11:17 AM
This is shitty news!

Anti-Polar Bear
02-25-2021, 12:35 PM

I love how y’all are like, if Watt wants $18 M, then fuck him and everything Aryan about him, as if y’all gonna fork the bill.

Nigga, please! The cap always be cooked. In an era in which the Networks pay billions to the NFL for the right to expose us to corporate ads on any given Sunday, Monday and Thursday, the NFL salary cap merely serves one, and only one, purpose: it gives the pig owners an excuse cut labor expenses.

The Packers have over $400 M sitting in a foreign bank earning interests faster than the speed of fuck. Packer owners are a bunch of irrelevant folks holding unprofitable “stocks,” and therefore they don’t pocket any of the profits the Packers make. And it ain’t like the next time the Packers want a shinny new arena, they’re gonna milk their saving to pay for it.

Sure, that asshole, Father Time, eventually - and mercilessly - deteriorate every jock’s Kung Fu. But Father Time is still 2 paces behind Watt. Watt’s still a legitimate push rusher. He’s still an extraordinary run stopper. He still can tip passes like Dikembe Mutombo used to block basketballs. And Watt can still play TE.

The Packers certainly have the frogskins pay to Watt. And they should.

smuggler
02-25-2021, 12:39 PM
I was thinking he'd get an offer around $17m/r AAV. Preston's contract is two years old and he got something like $13m/yr AAV.

Fritz
02-25-2021, 12:41 PM
I love how y’all are like, if Watt wants $18 M, then fuck him and everything Aryan about him, as if y’all gonna fork the bill.

Nigga, please! The cap always be cooked. In an era in which the Networks pay billions to the NFL for the right to expose us to corporate ads on any given Sunday, Monday and Thursday, the NFL salary cap merely serves one, and only one, purpose: it gives the pig owners an excuse cut labor expenses.

The Packers have over $400 M sitting in a foreign bank earning interests faster than the speed of fuck. Packer owners are a bunch of irrelevant folks holding unprofitable “stocks,” and therefore they don’t pocket any of the profits the Packers make. And it ain’t like the next time the Packers want a shinny new arena, they’re gonna milk their saving to pay for it.

Sure, that asshole, Father Time, eventually - and mercilessly - deteriorate every jock’s Kung Fu. But Father Time is still 2 paces behind Watt. Watt’s still a legitimate push rusher. He’s still an extraordinary run stopper. He still can tip passes like Dikembe Mutombo used to block basketballs. And Watt can still play TE.

The Packers certainly have the frogskins pay Watt. And they should.

Whoever pays JJ Watt 16 - 18 million is a fool. Watt will have to be babied, thus meaning fewer snaps, and he's already a ghost of the player he was. It's not like he's going to regain his old form.

Joemailman
02-25-2021, 12:57 PM
Whoever pays JJ Watt 16 - 18 million is a fool. Watt will have to be babied, thus meaning fewer snaps, and he's already a ghost of the player he was. It's not like he's going to regain his old form.

Hopefully those reports are just a bogus leak by Watt's agent to get potential suitors to increase their offers. Agree Packers shouldn't pay that much.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-25-2021, 01:07 PM

Babied? Watt played 16 games last season without being babied.

Last I checked, Watt didn’t play RB. Age 32 ain’t age 22, but plenty of hotshot defensive linemen remained effective well into their 30’s. Sacks don’t always tell the whole story, but 92 had 16 sacks at 37. Strahan, 18.5 at 32. Bruce Smith played til he was 60 or something without ever being babied.

Father Time likely won’t catch up to Watt til 2026.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-25-2021, 01:17 PM
Hopefully those reports are just a bogus leak by Watt's agent to get potential suitors to increase their offers. Agree Packers shouldn't pay that much.

The Packers didn’t blink twice when they opted to pay Cletidus Clark that much. Clark ain’t the legitimate pass rusher nor the extraordinary run stopper Watt has been. Ain’t even close.

Joemailman
02-25-2021, 01:26 PM
The Packers didn’t blink twice when they opted to pay Cletidus Clark that much. Clark ain’t the legitimate pass rusher nor the extraordinary run stopper Watt has been. Ain’t even close.

Well, but they DID give Clark that much, and they DID give Bakh that much, and they WILL give Adams that much. There's only so much to go around. Maybe they can make it work if the guaranteed money isn't too much. But I doubt it.

Zool
02-25-2021, 02:19 PM
Well, but they DID give Clark that much, and they DID give Bakh that much, and they WILL give Adams that much. There's only so much to go around. Maybe they can make it work if the guaranteed money isn't too much. But I doubt it.

I have Tank blocked, but ask who signed that Hunt contract from the GM side.

Spaulding
02-25-2021, 02:31 PM
I have Tank blocked, but ask who signed that Hunt contract from the GM side.

Wasn't the wreck of a GM during that time frame Sherman? If so would make sense. That contract and the Joe Johnson signing still leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Zool
02-25-2021, 02:35 PM
Wasn't the wreck of a GM during that time frame Sherman? If so would make sense. That contract and the Joe Johnson signing still leave a bad taste in my mouth.

How about "Kneeless" LaVar Arrington?

ThunderDan
02-25-2021, 02:53 PM

How about trading up to grab a punter who couldn't get off the bench and we carried two punters on the roster that year?

bobblehead
02-25-2021, 03:33 PM
Babied? Watt played 16 games last season without being babied.

Last I checked, Watt didn’t play RB. Age 32 ain’t age 22, but plenty of hotshot defensive linemen remained effective well into their 30’s. Sacks don’t always tell the whole story, but 92 had 16 sacks at 37. Strahan, 18.5 at 32. Bruce Smith played til he was 60 or something without ever being babied.

Father Time likely won’t catch up to Watt til 2026.

time caught up to watt in 2016 already.

Spaulding
02-25-2021, 03:58 PM
time caught up to watt in 2016 already.

I agree with you on many points but this is not one of them. Agreed that 2016 was a disaster for JJ Watt but his PFF ratings since that year are the following:

86.0 2017
90.6 2018
89.6 2019
85.4 2020

Those numbers are elite and the only risk is injury given his limited game totals in some of the prior years. However he did prove in 2020 that he could hold and his role in Green Bay likely wouldn't require him to play the same high total snap count. Add to the fact he was still the most double teamed defender in the game and his work ethic/motor is never ending and you have pretty high chance to land an impact player. This is all not even considering his positive impact on the locker room and what it would do for the franchise itself to have a hometown hero return to play for his childhood team.

That alone is worth the price of admission. I certainly don't want them to bury the team the next few years with some absurd 15million/year contract but but if they can get any type of reasonable discount to land him I think it pays dividends in more than just wins/losses.

GB-Brandon
02-25-2021, 04:00 PM
I really don’t get all the “Shocking replies”. We knew almost two weeks ago Cleveland offered in the 17is area. If he doesn’t sign in the 7-10 area with with Green Bay it will never happen. That’s always been the situation. Nothing has changed. I still think there is very good chance he signs with Green Bay. The decision is taking so long for this very reason because the $ discrepancy is so much.

GB-Brandon
02-25-2021, 04:36 PM
I agree with you on many points but this is not one of them. Agreed that 2016 was a disaster for JJ Watt but his PFF ratings since that year are the following:

86.0 2017
90.6 2018
89.6 2019
85.4 2020

Those numbers are elite and the only risk is injury given his limited game totals in some of the prior years. However he did prove in 2020 that he could hold and his role in Green Bay likely wouldn't require him to play the same high total snap count. Add to the fact he was still the most double teamed defender in the game and his work ethic/motor is never ending and you have pretty high chance to land an impact player. This is all not even considering his positive impact on the locker room and what it would do for the franchise itself to have a hometown hero return to play for his childhood team.

That alone is worth the price of admission. I certainly don't want them to bury the team the next few years with some absurd 15million/year contract but but if they can get any type of reasonable discount to land him I think it pays dividends in more than just wins/losses.

Just say out loud “Dean Lowry” & then say “Tyler Lancaster”!!!

All the sudden 1 year 12 million sounds “Reasonable” to get it done if need be!!!

At least we know JJ won’t be sitting home eating Twinkies all off-season!!

texaspackerbacker
02-26-2021, 05:48 AM
I agree with this. Home state discounts can take different forms. This is close to a crisis year cap-wise. Working with the team on that would help a lot. You could pay Watt a competitive amount with a very low first year cap hit if you work it right - Let's say something like $55 million for five years with a $25 million bonus. That is just a $6 million cap number the first year and more down the line when the cap gets back to normal.

Brandon, I don't agree with you, though, about M. Adams. The guy is head and shoulders better Lowry and Lancaster, and getting him back really cheap would be a good thing.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2021, 10:12 AM
I agree with this. Home state discounts can take different forms. This is close to a crisis year cap-wise. Working with the team on that would help a lot. You could pay Watt a competitive amount with a very low first year cap hit if you work it right - Let's say something like $55 million for five years with a $25 million bonus. That is just a $6 million cap number the first year and more down the line when the cap gets back to normal.

Brandon, I don't agree with you, though, about M. Adams. The guy is head and shoulders better Lowry and Lancaster, and getting him back really cheap would be a good thing.

He has had four years to get it together. Whether it being availability or play he hasn’t lived up to much. Maybe a sprinkle here and there. If they want to bring him into camp then whatever but that takes a spot you could give to someone else. Need to know when to move on from these guys. At some point your just enabling which has a negative effect across the board..

I call it “Chasing Candy” from back in the days of running sales floors and crews. Can’t be chasing no damn candy and most certainly can’t go to the club with a Wingman that can’t get Laid!! Time to move on!!

RashanGary
02-26-2021, 10:26 AM
Big guys on the DL take.time. Gary took a year and a half, Clark two and a half. Mon has been ascending slowly since he got here. His arrow.is pointing up and he's worth a cheap deal.

bobblehead
02-26-2021, 11:31 AM

86.0 2017
90.6 2018
89.6 2019
85.4 2020

Oh, he can still play when he stays on the field. But in the last 5 seasons he has had 3 where he missed 13, 11, and 8 games. I don't want a guy who might or might not be around for the playoffs. If he were young I would say it may have been fluky and discount the injuries. He is not young by football standards.

Even playing 16 games last season he was easily the least effective he has been in his career. I watched Houston games (watson in dynasty league). JJ didn't take over games like he once did. He may still have effective uses, but he isn't as valuable as Z. I don't even want to give him $10 million a year, but if you cut Lowry for the cap and replace him with Watt, $8 million might make sense. Problem is he wants to be PAID. He has said as much. He wants to be paid like the best version of himself, which has been exactly ONE out of the last 5 seasons and that was back in 2018. I don't think that is a gamble I want to take. Gimme Lindsey and Cory Davis for just a little more money (JJ wants 15, they will get 20 combined max).

bobblehead
02-26-2021, 11:40 AM
I'll add one little caveat to my point. There will be a LOT of bargains near the mid to late stages of FA this year. There simply isn't the money available to pay Allen Robinson, JuJu, Davis, Godwin and all the others. They all want to deal breaker contract. A few foolish GMs will hand them out.

I'll ask straight up. Do you want to maneuver the hell out of the cap to sign JJ and then watch Allen Robinson take a one year "wait for cap correction" deal for $12 million a year? Watch Trent Williams sign for something similar? How about when Leonard Williams gets forced to sign for $8 million one year deal in mid august? Joe Thuney ends up rostered for $7 million? Then will it have been worth it to sign JJ cuz he was born in wisconsin?

bobblehead
02-26-2021, 11:43 AM
"owners and fans always think they are only ONE guy from winning it all" Jeff Lurie's wife.

Are we ONE guy away? Maybe. Last season that one guy was probably Bak being healthy. Maybe it was Jones not getting hurt coughing up the ball. Maybe it was simply trusting Dillon with a few carries in the 4th quarter.

We were close. JJ may or may not be the difference. So might Lindsey.

Joemailman
02-26-2021, 12:31 PM
Out of the 3 big money guys (Jones, Linsley, Watt) they can likely only sign 1. Of the 3, I think Watt has the most potential for additional impact. You lose Jones you can replace him with Dillon. Different type of player but a stud nonetheless. You lose Linsley you can replace him with Jenkins and don't miss a thing. You sign Watt and he replaces Dean Lowry.