PDA

View Full Version : Packers RELEASE Kirksey & Wagner!

GB-Brandon
02-19-2021, 03:51 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932623-christian-kirksey-rick-wagner-released-by-packers-ahead-of-nfl-free-agency

Spaulding
02-19-2021, 04:20 PM
Good deal. Just need to have Lowry restructure for reduced pay or hit the road as well as Josh Jackson and Oren Burkes unless Jackson is a good fit for what Barry wants to do on defense or moves to safety and they cut Amos.

texaspackerbacker
02-19-2021, 04:21 PM
Another good step.

GB-Brandon
02-19-2021, 05:05 PM
Good deal. Just need to have Lowry restructure for reduced pay or hit the road as well as Josh Jackson and Oren Burkes unless Jackson is a good fit for what Barry wants to do on defense or moves to safety and they cut Amos.

Turn all three of them. They have 10 draft picks.

There is now way in hell I let Amos go. He is one of the few guys that plays the way with the attitude and play style needed. He has earned every penny!

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2021, 05:06 PM

You are the second person who mentioned cutting Amos. Amos had a good year. That's been a good signing. They aren't cutting Amos. His salary isn't that exorbitant.

Spaulding
02-19-2021, 05:18 PM
Just for the record, I'm not advocating him to be cut. However when you have a cap hit of just over $10 million dollars this coming year there is or might be discussion on reducing that number and if they feel that Jackson can play safety close to as well at a fraction of the cost, it might be something being discussed.

I'll also put myself on record as not wanting to cut Preston Smith. I know his cap number is too high at it's current level but having three pass rushers (Z, Gary and him) is almost a must these days in case of injuries, subbing, etc. Plus he was asked to do more coverage this year which obviously translates to less opportunities to get at the QB. I'd be curious to know his number of rushes this past year versus 2019 and thus how it translated to QB hits/pressures/sacks.

GB-Brandon
02-19-2021, 05:38 PM
I believe Jackson is a wasted cause but that’s a whole different discussion. As far as “playing the safety position” he will never be as physical as Amos and it’s a long shot at best. I imagine they are going to bring Jackson into camp though.

I don’t think Smith will go anywhere unless it’s part of a bigger plan to bring Watt in. In that case you could see them draft another edge on day 2.

RashanGary
02-19-2021, 07:43 PM
Smith could be a post June 1 cut. I think that splits his dead cap hit over two years.

RashanGary
02-19-2021, 07:44 PM
I’m not opposed to seeing P. Smith cut after June 1. Unless they’re in contact with him and he’s actually working this offseason.

Vincenzo
02-19-2021, 09:22 PM
Who Ghost at times Preston Smith - dunno if we’d miss him.

Deputy Nutz
02-19-2021, 09:31 PM
I didn't mind the stop gap with those two guys. They played about as well as could be expected.

The Packers need to restructure and cut others. I am not a huge fan of Amos. My opinion is that he struggles with play action, for 10 million would you rather have Amos or Watt?

Preston Smith hasn't preformed up to his contract and for what he offers on the edge I think Gary has more than surpassed him. Again I would rather have Watt rush the passer from a 5 tech with Gary and Z. Smith coming off the edge than hang on to P. Smith.

Also, Josh Jackson has been a huge bust up until this point. If they can find a role a for him at safety for the last year of his contract.

GB-Brandon
02-19-2021, 09:54 PM
The thing is if your start eating heavy amounts of dead $ with no real path to get better your gonna be in trouble unless your plan is to rebuild for a season or two down the road. I can understand doing that with Nick Perry when they did it because he was absolutely worthless. 8 million dead money on Smith is a heavy pill to swallow. He is overpaid at his current salary but this is what Gute kind of signed us up for with him. You either have to hope his play improves or create a path to get better through releasing him post June 1st along with Lowry and drafting another edge guy perhaps on day 2 with a Watt signing. Something like that. Just saying your gonna eat 8 million on a player that’s still somewhat decent with no plan is bad biz!

As far as Amos he is one of the most consistent safeties in the league. We don’t want to lose him and him and Savage together are the strength of this defense with Savage ascending. Amos is not the guy to tinker with and is not the problem. He is exactly what this defense actually needs more of.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/adrian-amos/9575

call_me_ishmael
02-19-2021, 11:05 PM
Aren't Amos and Savage one of the best pairs of safeties in the league? He was awesome this year according to people that know more than I do. Why would they cut him?

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2021, 11:29 PM
They won’t cut Amos. He was good. They’ll likely restructure though—to save $3M.

People supposedly in the know think the cap will settle at $188m. I think that means they’re only like $5m over the cap. They can free up around $25m by restructuring Rodgers, Z. Smith, and Amos.

call_me_ishmael
02-19-2021, 11:50 PM
They won’t cut Amos. He was good. They’ll likely restructure though—to save $3M.

People supposedly in the know think the cap will settle at $188m. I think that means they’re only like $5m over the cap. They can free up around $25m by restructuring Rodgers, Z. Smith, and Amos.

Then what do they do with the money?

texaspackerbacker
02-19-2021, 11:53 PM
Too many people in here are talking like it's a necessity to cut people. No, we don't need to cut anybody who doesn't need it based on how they played - Kirksey yes, Lowery, yes, P. smith maybe - I'd say no based on his snapping back late in the season.

$188 million, Harvey? That's the best news I've heard all day if true. There are several others we can restructure too for lesser but still significant amounts. We should be able to retain Aaron Jones with or without the franchise tag, Linsley too.

Upnorth
02-20-2021, 06:42 AM
I think we need tonextend and restructure Adams and z. That alone gets us to the 180ish mark which gets us vlose to what watt needs. Do some work with rodgers restructure p smith and now we get our rookie space.

I see a lot (and wanted to) cut p smith earlier but a strong rotation of fresh bodies makes for a better season. And p wasnt garbage. He is our best coverage olb which is necessary as well.

Also I think we need to extend Amos. To me he is near all pro and worth it.

run pMc
02-20-2021, 10:00 AM
I'm in favor of extending Adams. Getting cap space relief would be a plus.
Amos is a good safety and worth keeping; they don't have anyone on the roster who can replace him at the moment. Restructuring (or extending) isn't a bad idea with his cap number. I'd rather him back there than Will Redmond, and Raven Greene can't do what he does. Vernon Scott would have to make a huge jump, and I have trouble seeing that happen.

As for what they do with the money once they get under the cap... how about sign the draft picks they'll be making? Save a little space for an extension or in-season emergency signing (a la Veldheer)? Not saying don't spend up to the limit, just that they shouldn't if there isn't a player worth signing.

I'm not surprised by Kirksey being released, Wagner's knees are about done but he was serviceable enough to get them through a couple of games though, and they really don't have much depth. I have to think they are going to draft an OT or two. OT depth is admittedly a luxury - some teams don't have one much less two decent OTs, but this is clearly a need at this point IMO. Moving Jenkins to T might be a bandaid but you're playing him out of position and it means you're doing a lot of shuffling on the IOL with Linsley likely gone.

RashanGary
02-20-2021, 12:29 PM
I didn't mind the stop gap with those two guys. They played about as well as could be expected.

The Packers need to restructure and cut others. I am not a huge fan of Amos. My opinion is that he struggles with play action, for 10 million would you rather have Amos or Watt?

Preston Smith hasn't preformed up to his contract and for what he offers on the edge I think Gary has more than surpassed him. Again I would rather have Watt rush the passer from a 5 tech with Gary and Z. Smith coming off the edge than hang on to P. Smith.

Also, Josh Jackson has been a huge bust up until this point. If they can find a role a for him at safety for the last year of his contract.

Makes sense. I'm not as down of Amos, but safety and linebacker play has always baffled me a bit. They seem to be adjusting quickly, real time, but I don't have eyes for it so I'm clearly missing part of that picture.

bobblehead
02-20-2021, 12:56 PM
I've said it many times. Cut anyone you don't see as core. There is going to be bargains galore in FA after the initial wave of stupid money passes. A smart GM who has done his homework could get a preston equivalent for $5 mill average in this market. Probably won't sign too many long term deals, but that just keeps you cap neutral in the near future. Cut everyone that we even speculate cutting. Restructure anyone who is core to free space.

GB-Brandon
02-20-2021, 12:59 PM
Makes sense. I'm not as down of Amos, but safety and linebacker play has always baffled me a bit. They seem to be adjusting quickly, real time, but I don't have eyes for it so I'm clearly missing part of that picture.

I think peoples expectations need to be tempered. NFL QB’s can put the ball just about anywhere on a dime. The receivers are really really good. Offensive schemes are designed to create just the littlest amount of separation. Then you have all the rules that favor the offense most days. It’s just really tough. It’s not as simple as drafting a top end talented DB which the Packers have thoroughly proven!

If your gonna get it done “Consistently” on defense it’s going to have to happen upfront and up the middle disrupting passing lanes etc. which sets up the edge guys which sets up your coverage guys in the middle and back end guys and so on and so on. It’s nothing that’s some big secret or unknown yet seems to get lost in translation in all the fancy scheme talk along with other stuff.

We saw it in the Super Bowl. We saw Tampa get Vita Vea back to add with other Studs and KC lose there starting Tackle and it was a disaster for KC. That’s where that game was won and lost.

You obviously want good LB’s and secondary players too but without the right guys upfront it won’t matter in the NFL. The Packers are in the best shape they have been in the secondary since 2010. A boundary corner opposite Jaire isn’t that big of a deal. It’s not monumental. Another guy upfront to push the pocket is!!!

GB-Brandon
02-20-2021, 01:09 PM
Why are we talking about a championship defense when we’re trying to push the pocket with Dean Lowry and Tyler Lancaster? We’re just Fucken Playing a Big Joke on Ourselves!!!

It’s Stupid!!

Fritz
02-23-2021, 12:08 PM
Why are we talking about a championship defense when we’re trying to push the pocket with Dean Lowry and Tyler Lancaster? We’re just Fucken Playing a Big Joke on Ourselves!!!

It’s Stupid!!

If they cut Montravius Adams they can save $117 on the cap next year.

bobblehead
02-23-2021, 12:26 PM
If they cut Montravius Adams they can save $117 on the cap next year.

Totally worth it.

RashanGary
02-23-2021, 01:46 PM
Totally worth it.

:lol:

Upnorth
02-23-2021, 02:18 PM
One ticket beer and a pretzel??? Good bye!

HarveyWallbangers
02-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Adams actually graded out well in his limited snaps—per PFF.

run pMc
02-23-2021, 05:01 PM
Adams actually graded out well in his limited snaps—per PFF.

Health aside, why do you think he didn't get more snaps? I thought he was erratic -- sometimes he was good, other times he couldn't stay on his feet or hold his gap. Not saying Lowry/Lancaster were significantly better, btw.
If he graded better than them, it does make you wonder why he saw the field less... besides the injuries.

For a R3 pick they didn't get a lot out of him.

bobblehead
02-24-2021, 12:09 PM
One ticket beer and a pretzel??? Good bye!

One word...punctuation. I took a full minute trying to figure out what a ticket beer was.

Upnorth
02-24-2021, 02:55 PM
One word...punctuation. I took a full minute trying to figure out what a ticket beer was.

Howdozthisluk?

Fritz
02-25-2021, 12:49 PM
Health aside, why do you think he didn't get more snaps? I thought he was erratic -- sometimes he was good, other times he couldn't stay on his feet or hold his gap. Not saying Lowry/Lancaster were significantly better, btw.
If he graded better than them, it does make you wonder why he saw the field less... besides the injuries.

For a R3 pick they didn't get a lot out of him.

I'd have to say the guy was a bust for a third round pick.

GB-Brandon
02-25-2021, 04:08 PM
It’s over with Adams. Time to move on. He is a tug-boat that can’t even anchor that well. “Bust City”.