PDA

View Full Version : Jace Stergberger and Josiah Deguara

RashanGary
03-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Jace can run for a TE, run blocks ok for a young guy, is pretty good with movement blocks but his pass pro is god awful, to the level of, “can coaching fix this.” When you’re a TE and formations tend to be bunched, Rodgers NEEDS guys he can count on to get that blitzer who is in close proximity because of a bunched formation. If you can’t pass pro, a receiver who can run faster than Jace makes sense. Can he figure it out? I give him a coin flips chance.

Josiah played well for a rookie. He opens up the run game as a lead blocker and movement blocker. He profiles as a quick study in pass pro. His ACL should be 90% next year. Is 90% enough for him to be truly effective or are we a year away. He has great long term odds, better than 80% chance of being good in the long term. But will it happen next year? Another coin flip.

Lazard’s pass pro and run blocking make that second TE maybe a little less worrisome, but it would sure be nice to have Tonyan, Lazard and one more true triple threat (run blocker pass blocker, pass weapon) on the roster. It would open up all sorts of options for Rodgers and the running back.

We also have Dafney and john Lovett to compete for that FB hybrid role. It looks like we have a better shot with the FB / hybrid player as three of them are competing and a lesser shot at a TE, making a healthy year for Tonyan important. Tonyan had core surgery early last offseason. A full offseason now to get ready, he might have another gear.

Regardless, between all of the prospects and Lazard, the packers look to have enough hybrid style players to really make Rodgers options wide open. I hope Stergberger figures it out because the offense would be wide the fuck open with a second legit TE AND the FB position locked and loaded.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2021, 09:22 AM
I still have hopes for Sternberger. He flashes good potential when he plays. I wish the coaches trusted (or could trust him more). Deguara looked solid. Hopefully, he rebounds fully from his injury. Second round tender on Tonyan should keep him. He's a good player. Hopefully, we can sign him to an affordable long-term extension.

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2021, 10:10 AM
It sounds like Sternberger had a serious injury or mental health thing. Nagler had a very vague tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1365106035862683652

Upnorth
03-02-2021, 10:10 AM
Sternberger reminds me of Fitzgerald all gas no brakes if you know what I mean. No idea what we have in deguara. But tonyon is solid with possibly the best hands on the team. We need to keep him

Whoops I ment Finley. Not Fitzgerald.

RashanGary
03-02-2021, 01:12 PM
I still have hopes for Sternberger. He flashes good potential when he plays. I wish the coaches trusted (or could trust him more). Deguara looked solid. Hopefully, he rebounds fully from his injury. Second round tender on Tonyan should keep him. He's a good player. Hopefully, we can sign him to an affordable long-term extension.

He could be better than good. He’s young, position switch, coming off core surgery last year. He might have a full other gear in there. And he’s got some chemistry with 12 now. He could be a pro bowler.

texaspackerbacker
03-02-2021, 01:15 PM
I never liked Sternberger, and we never shoulda drafted Deguara - any UDFA fullback could do what he does even if he's 100%. The one I was touting long before he ever played so good last season was Tonyan. And of course, we undoubtedly will still have Marcedes Lewis. Tonyan, Lewis, and Dafney would suit me fine. If Deguara does anything or Sternberger turns out to be anymore than a waste, that is a bonus.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2021, 04:12 PM
It sounds like Sternberger had a serious injury or mental health thing. Nagler had a very vague tweet about it.

Didn’t he have a concussion that kept him out for several weeks?

run pMc
03-02-2021, 07:24 PM
He's had a couple of concussions, a broken jaw, COVID. I had hopes for him but he can't stay healthy. Hard to develop into a player if you're hurt.
If they draft a TE you'll know what they think of Jace. He might still turn it around -- I sure hope he does. He's a pretty good receiving TE and the blocking effort was there even if the result wasn't.
Deguara only played one game before the ACL but he showed something and I think they like him. Way too early to say much on him. They reached on the pick for him (the R4 they gave up to take JLove would've been a better spot) but if he pans out it doesn't matter.
Watch his Cincy Bearcats tape, he's good. Best player on that offense and their go-to red zone guy.

HarveyWallbangers
04-09-2021, 01:43 AM
Seems like a concussion, COVID, and broken jaw are tough luck--and not a sign of being injury prone. We'll see.

sharpe1027
04-09-2021, 05:27 AM
Seems like a concussion, COVID, and broken jaw are tough luck--and not a sign of being injury prone. We'll see.

Statistics back this view up, other than the concussion.

Fritz
04-09-2021, 10:13 AM
I like Josiah Daguerrotype and hope he recovers fully. He looked good in his very brief stint and seems like one of those guys who will be at ease in the NFL. I would also like to see him grow an Amish-type beard and have his picture taken with some Amish- style clothing. Then, instead of riding a kid's bike home from practice this summer, he should have an old Wisconsin farmer pull up with his horse and wagon and take Josiah back to the dorms, with a pit-stop at the neighbor's to help with a barn-raising.

Sternberger I don't think will pan out. Nagler's mysterious tweet about there being more going on than "just" a concussion is troubling. I mean, I make fun of the guy but in truth he's just a kid and I hope he's okay.

Even without him, though, I would not be too thrilled positionally if they drafted a tight end any higher than the fourth round.

George Cumby
04-09-2021, 10:20 AM
KY said Deguara is an old school football player. That's endorsement enough for me.

Joemailman
04-09-2021, 10:31 AM

Mental health would be a strong possibility. Guy has had nothing but bad luck in his career with the Packers. Away from his family for much of the year. Could be having a problem with depression. We also don't know how Covid affected him. Just because he was cleared to come back doesn't mean he's not still being affected by it.

bobblehead
04-09-2021, 10:47 AM
JH, you are taking over for me as the guy obsessed with a TE ability to block. I'm not however so concerned about pass blocking. Its a nice skill to have, but if the player is a receiving threat, its less important. Just like if a RB can grab a dump off/check down and scamper for 8 yards its not as important he be able to do more than throw a chip. Especially with Rodgers who is nearly unequaled in making a hot read (phillip rivers was his only peer.)

Sternberger never impressed me, but then he barely has had a chance. I have no opinion on him atm. Deguerra impressed me but the sample size was so small. Tonyan I won a $1 dollar bet with my best friend when I said he would start over Sternberger when we drafted Sternberger. (I subsequently lost that $1 when MVS failed to log 800 yards). I'm actually really looking forward to preseason and the draft for a change. Can't wait for Gutes to disappoint me on April 29th yet again!!!

run pMc
04-09-2021, 05:14 PM
I know he hasn't had much of a chance, but like Fritz I have a feeling he won't pan out. Inability to stay on the field will lead to frustration and stunt his development as a pro. He'll play out his contract and that will be it. I hope I'm wrong, but that's just the arc I see unfolding.
Deguara I still like, but I need to see more.

Dafney surprised me. He could be a useful bench TE player... he showed he can catch and block, he just needs to keep working at it and the consistency and snaps will follow. He's got potential as a good depth TE and Core ST player.

Lovett was released.

RashanGary
04-09-2021, 05:15 PM
I know he hasn't had much of a chance, but like Fritz I have a feeling he won't pan out. Inability to stay on the field will lead to frustration and stunt his development as a pro. He'll play out his contract and that will be it. I hope I'm wrong, but that's just the arc I see unfolding.
Deguara I still like, but I need to see more.

Dafney surprised me. He could be a useful bench TE player... he showed he can catch and block, he just needs to keep working at it and the consistency and snaps will follow. He's got potential as a good depth TE and Core ST player.

Lovett was released.

Agree