PDA

View Full Version : Gado traded

GoPack06
09-13-2006, 02:38 PM
profootballtalk.com and rotoworld.com are reporting that Gado was traded to the Texans for Vernand Morency.

Anybody else hear about this?

Partial
09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm not seeing it anywhere yet

]{ilr]3
09-13-2006, 02:42 PM
I just read that on PFT. Suprising, but not sure if its a value one way or the other.

Gado was kind of a feel good player even though he has yet to show much of anything this year in the new system.

One way to put it is "Why the hell not?" :lol:

packers11
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
who's shermans next victim... dun dun dun! :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't understand. If the Texans are running the same zone scheme we are, why would they want to trade for Gado who is a good back, but has trouble with the scheme? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 02:48 PM
If it's true, then good move as Gado proved he couldn't cut it in the ZBS in college or the pros.

Here's info on Vernand Morency:

Position: RB
Height: 5-9
Weight: 212
Born: 02/04/1980
College: Oklahoma State
NFL Experience: 2

Morency rushed for 184 yards with two touchdowns on 46 carries in 12 games for the Texans in 2005. He added 10 catches for 87 yards, showing some involvement in the passing game.

Essentially, we'd get the 2005 #137 for a undrafted free agent....

Cobra Kai
09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Its on JS Online that Gado got traded but they didn't say who it was for...

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 13, 2006, 2:44 p.m.
By Tom Silverstein

Packers trade Gado?

It appears the Green Bay Packers have given up on running back Samkon Gado, the late-season darling of the backfield last year.

Several players said Wednesday during the team's open locker room period that Gado had been informed he was traded to the Houston Texans. Word of the trade spread through the locker room quickly, but the club made no formal announcement and it was unclear whether the trade had been made.

However, Gado was pulled away from interviews by running backs coach Edgar Bennett during the locker room session and did not return while the media was still allowed in.

Three different players said they were told of the trade and considered it a reality.

Without Gado, the Packers would be down to Ahman Green and Noah Herron at halfback. They cut fullback Vonta Leach Tuesday, so the only other running back on the roster is fullback William Henderson. Another training camp halfback, Najeh Davenport, was released on the final cutdown.

Rookie Arliss Beach, who had a strong training camp, is not eligible to play this season after being put on injured reserve.

It's unclear what the Packers will receive in exchange for Gado, the second-year back who came off the practice squad last year and led the team in rushing with 582 yards on 143 rushes. In Houston, he will be reunited with former Packers coach Mike Sherman, who is the Texans' assistant head coach and offensive line coach.

packers11
09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I DONT UNDERSTAND, Gado > Noah..... I am a bigger fan of Gado then Noah, and Noah has not proved anything, why is this guy our backup??

packrulz
09-13-2006, 02:59 PM
If it's true, then good move as Gado proved he couldn't cut it in the ZBS in college or the pros.

Here's info on Vernand Morency:

Position: RB
Height: 5-9
Weight: 212
Born: 02/04/1980
College: Oklahoma State
NFL Experience: 2

Morency rushed for 184 yards with two touchdowns on 46 carries in 12 games for the Texans in 2005. He added 10 catches for 87 yards, showing some involvement in the passing game.

Essentially, we'd get the 2005 #137 for a undrafted free agent....

He's kind of small but probably faster than Gado.

pittstang5
09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
I DONT UNDERSTAND, Gado > Noah..... I am a bigger fan of Gado then Noah, and Noah has not proved anything, why is this guy our backup??

I don't understand it either, but every article I read about Herron says that the coaches love him. I don't see it.

pittstang5
09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
What the heck? A double post? Where am I, JS Online?

ahaha
09-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Morency?!?! He couldn't beat out the rookie Lundy in a ZBS. Your crap for our crap.

gbpackfan
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow! I can't say I saw this coming. Oh well, I liked Gado but he didn't seem to get the zone blocking scheme. The funny thing, Houston also runs a zone blocking scheme!!!!! Kubiak, from Denver, put it in this year! Ha Ha. Sherman really does have some pull down there.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Herron has flashes of potential - Gado showed he couldn't learn the ZBS at least in the Packer's minds.

I think both teams think their getting value (Packers get a former 3rd rounder for an undrafted rfa) - Sherman is probably convinced that Gado was a steal and could make it work in Houston. They may have not liked Herron or wanted to give up Morency for him.

Who knows, the way it's going maybe the Packers are still shopping around. We'll see how long Herron lasts....

The thing that scares me about this musical chair debactle going on is lack of team character - something you can't measure....

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2006, 03:04 PM
What a COMPLETE MESS the packers have in the offensive backfield.

Sparkey
09-13-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm sure someone at Bellin, where Gado is doing his residency, would know if it is true or not.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-13-2006, 03:05 PM

I don't understand it either, but every article I read about Herron says that the coaches love him. I don't see it.

Herron/Gado...they both suck. The fact that they were on this teams tells you everything about the talent level we have.

Just pray Ahman continues to look like his old self.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm sure someone at Bellin, where Gado is doing his residency, would know if it is true or not.

This seems to be true - coming from players and media reports that Gado was pulled out of meetings. I'm gonna scope some Texan boards and see if they have any insight.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 03:07 PM
He's not doing a residency there. He hasn't even been to med school yet. He's just volunteering there. If Gado goes anywhere, it should be a team with a gap system like we used last year. He lit it up 'round here last year. Doesn't sound like a good move on either side, but I haven't heard anything but rumor yet either. Maybe the guys heard the wrong team.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Henderson & Green are OK. That's all we got.

I wish Thompson would have drafted a running back, but you can't fill every hole. Gosh, that sounded dirty.

pittstang5
09-13-2006, 03:09 PM

Herron/Gado...they both suck. The fact that they were on this teams tells you everything about the talent level we have.

Well, Herron maybe (sucks)....but Gado was decent last year. I just don't think the ZBS is for him.

retailguy
09-13-2006, 03:09 PM
What the heck? A double post? Where am I, JS Online?

HEY! watch it buddy.... :wink:

there is no "persistent hacker influence" here.

he shows up once in a while like an unlucky penny, but otherwise, we're a lot better than JSO.... :mrgreen:

retailguy
09-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Well, at least they didn't trade him for Ron Dayne. Praise God for that one.

TT got something for someone who should have been cut. Now, the real question, is, would Morency have been cut too.? :shock:

In which case this is a whole non-event.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Here are some pre-trade comments by Texan fans on Morency - sounds good to me :cool: :

i like morency that is why i asked about him. i saw him play, and he is a player. he is big and hits the hole hard, and finishes his runs
i didn't know the man was outworked in the preseason....interesting

Tyrone Bigguns
09-13-2006, 03:25 PM

Well, Herron maybe (sucks)....but Gado was decent last year. I just don't think the ZBS is for him.

Gado=1/2 season wonder.

If i told you the pack was going to sign a guy who barely played in high school, barely played at Liberty, you would have little faith.

Enjoy the fond memories.

gbpackfan
09-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Morency is listed as the Texans #1 KR! I have to give TT credit for trying to upgrade the KR game.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Didn't he just do that when he signed Robinson?

LEWCWA
09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
This seems to be a big deal trade. who cares, the thing that still has me mad is cutting Davenpoop. The guy got things done when healthy and thats all you can ask!

gbpackfan
09-13-2006, 03:33 PM

He absolutely did! TT has done a nice job this week!

Rastak
09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Morency is listed as the Texans #1 KR! I have to give TT credit for trying to upgrade the KR game.

Wow, maybe TT is smart, he's already lined up Koren's replacement for when jail/suspension kicks in.

Cobra Kai
Here are some pre-trade comments by Texan fans on Morency - sounds good to me :cool: :

i like morency that is why i asked about him. i saw him play, and he is a player. he is big and hits the hole hard, and finishes his runs
i didn't know the man was outworked in the preseason....interesting

I checked out a few Texans message boards too. Its a mixed bag over there. Half are upset because they thought Morency was their best back and was never given a chance because he wasn't a Kubiak guy. The other half are happy because they point to Gado's nice little stretch late last year and they believe Sherman knows how to use him... HA!

pbmax
I wonder if Jamaal Reynolds is available to match up with Mario Williams.

vince
09-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I assume this is confirmed...? I like this move. Gado looked like he had a refrigerator tied to his back last week. This system is not for him. As someone said, if we get someone who can return kicks and spell Green for a series or two, it makes sense to me!

Fan favorite schmavorite... feel-good guys that don't help us improve aren't this fan's favorite...

CyclonePackFan
09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
I wanted us to draft Morency two years ago. I remember watching him in college when he played for OK State, he's a versitile, hard running back who was basically their entire offense.

As much as I loved Samkon, he wasn't up to snuff this year. He looked slow and confused, which really showed last week (he averaged -3 YPC) The ZBS requires backs who can hit the hole hard and fast, with good burst. Morency fits that description. At least look at it this way, we're trying to improve our personell. (even though it should have been done long ago)

Sparkey
09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Texans trade for Gado
September 13, 2006
By Nick Schenck
HoustonTexans.com

Head coach Gary Kubiak announced after practice Wednesday that the Texans and Green Bay Packers have agreed to swap running backs Vernand Morency and Samkon Gado.

The trade will become official once each player passes his physical, which could happen as soon as Thursday.

Playing under current Texans assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman last year in Green Bay, Gado (5-10, 226) gained 582 yards on 143 carries (4.1 avg.) and tied for the league lead among rookies with six rushing touchdowns. He also had 10 receptions for 77 yards (7.7 avg.) and another score.

Gado played in eight games with five starts in place of injured running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport. Gado missed the final two games after spraining his right knee.

Gado was originally signed by the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent from Liberty University. After spending some time on the Chiefs’ practice squad and being released, Green Bay signed him to their practice squad Oct. 17 before activating him 12 days later.

Known for his breakaway speed, Gado played his best game versus Detroit on Dec. 11. 2005. He gained 171 rushing yards and scored on a 64-yard touchdown run. He finished with 180 yards of total offense. In November, Gado earned NFL offensive Rookie of the Month honors.

A third-round pick in 2005, Morency played in 13 games with one start last season. He gained 184 rushing yards and scored two touchdowns. Playing behind rookie Wali Lundy this year, Morency rushed five times for 13 yards against the Eagles in Week 1.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Texans trade for Gado
September 13, 2006
By Nick Schenck
HoustonTexans.com

Head coach Gary Kubiak announced after practice Wednesday that the Texans and Green Bay Packers have agreed to swap running backs Vernand Morency and Samkon Gado.

The trade will become official once each player passes his physical, which could happen as soon as Thursday.

Playing under current Texans assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman last year in Green Bay, Gado (5-10, 226) gained 582 yards on 143 carries (4.1 avg.) and tied for the league lead among rookies with six rushing touchdowns. He also had 10 receptions for 77 yards (7.7 avg.) and another score.

Gado played in eight games with five starts in place of injured running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport. Gado missed the final two games after spraining his right knee.

Gado was originally signed by the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent from Liberty University. After spending some time on the Chiefs’ practice squad and being released, Green Bay signed him to their practice squad Oct. 17 before activating him 12 days later.

Known for his breakaway speed, Gado played his best game versus Detroit on Dec. 11. 2005. He gained 171 rushing yards and scored on a 64-yard touchdown run. He finished with 180 yards of total offense. In November, Gado earned NFL offensive Rookie of the Month honors.

A third-round pick in 2005, Morency played in 13 games with one start last season. He gained 184 rushing yards and scored two touchdowns. Playing behind rookie Wali Lundy this year, Morency rushed five times for 13 yards against the Eagles in Week 1.

I liked how they omitted showing Gado's stat line from last week - the Texan fans would be pissed off then :lol:

Willard
09-13-2006, 03:48 PM
It is interesting to read what the Texan fans are saying about this move.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=28148

Partial
09-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Who knows when his suspension will kick in, though.

pbmax
09-13-2006, 03:50 PM
And the official word.

Packers Acquire Morency From Texans For Gado
Vernand Morency

posted 09/13/2006
packers.com
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/09/13/1/

The Green Bay Packers Wednesday obtained running back Vernand Morency from the Houston Texans for running back Samkon Gado.

Morency, a 5-foot-10, 212-pound player, is in his second year out of Oklahoma State. In 13 NFL games, including Sunday's season opener, he has 51 carries for 197 yards (3.9 avg.) and two touchdowns. He also has averaged 21.9 yards on 20 career kickoff returns.

Selected after his junior season in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft (73rd overall), he spent four years as a center fielder in the Colorado Rockies farm system before enrolling at Oklahoma State. He ran for 2,661 yards on 451 carries (5.9 avg.) with 23 TDs during his college career, including two seasons as a backup to current Denver player Tatum Bell.

Green Bud Packer
09-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Texans trade for Gado
September 13, 2006
By Nick Schenck
HoustonTexans.com

.thanx for the info.it's posts like this that keep me coming back.screw the rumors i prefer facts.

4and12to12and4
09-13-2006, 03:54 PM

How can you say that we have a complete mess, when Ahmad looked as good as he has ever been Sunday against the Bears. I was very impressed with his running, didn't he average over 5 yards per carry, and get 110 yards? How is that a mess. Very few teams have a "great" backup running back, and if Ahmad stays healthy, he could have an unbelievable year. I think our running game is just fine. That, and our run defense were the two solid things from game one.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 03:55 PM

How can you say that we have a complete mess, when Ahmad looked as good as he has ever been Sunday against the Bears. I was very impressed with his running, didn't he average over 5 yards per carry, and get 110 yards? How is that a mess. Very few teams have a "great" backup running back, and if Ahmad stays healthy, he could have an unbelievable year. I think our running game is just fine. That, and our run defense were the two solid things from game one.

Rashaad? :lol:

Astonishment
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
I think this is a GREAT move. Yes that is correctly capped. While I concede that this isn't the best PR move, it is a great football move. This is what is called striking while the iron is still hot. While Gado was a great feel good story, he was never anything more than a 3rd string runnning back (maybe a 2nd stringer in a pinch). He didn't have any kind of shiftiness or quickness, nor did he have legit acceloration. His good top end speed was rarely seen because he couldn't get there fast enough. Basically he didn't have football speed. Gado is a staight line runner who can't cut, and he doesn't have any kind of strength to his running game. Even last year he regularly got pushed backwards or his momentum was completely stopped at contact. With his skill set he had to be able to consistantly fall forward, and he could not. There is no arguing he had a good stretch of games that has been blown into a great stretch because it was one of the few bright spots in a very dark season. In trading Gado for Morency the Packers in proved thier depth, thier team speed, and thier overall talent (at a position that was talent starved outside of Green).

The negative side of this is you want guys with Gado's attitude on your team, and unfortunately we no longer have that. I really hope for the best for Gado, but unfortuantely I don't think it will ever happen on the football field. In the end he will leave his mark as the kind of person he is, and hopefully - as a doctor - the amount of people he will help. That said he was not a good enough football player to make his great attitude count enough.

Partial
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Morency is known for his explosiveness in a one-cut system. I shit you not I read a scouting report say he looked as elusive as reggie bush. I think this guy is either very much overhyped or very lazy. You don't trade a good player for crap in return. Unless its ahman green for fred vinson.

Pack0514
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Do we know anything about Morency's contract?

Sparkey
09-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Do we know anything about Morency's contract?

His rookie contract was for three years for 1.492 million:

Signed a three-year contract worth $1.492 million on 7/29/2005. The deal included a $567,000 signing bonus. Morency is scheduled to receive base salaries of, for 2006: $310,000, and 2007: $385,000. He can be a restricted free agent in 2008.

See
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3208

They have already updated his player page.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/13/bc.fbn.packers.texanstr.ap/index.html

From SI.com

The Green Bay Packers traded running back Samkon Gado to the Houston Texans on Wednesday for another young running back, Vernand Morency.

The Texans announced the move on their Web site.

Gado was one of the few bright spots in the Packers' 4-12 season last year, advancing from the practice squad to become the team's starting running back near the end of the season. But Gado has struggled to adjust to the zone-blocking scheme being run by new Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

Season-ending injuries to running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport gave Gado, who started just two games in four seasons at Division I-AA Liberty University, an improbable chance to start for the Packers last year.

In eight games, including five starts, he gained 582 yards on 143 carries and scored six touchdowns.

Gado also brought an infectious sense of optimism into an otherwise downtrodden locker room. Gado, who worked at a Green Bay hospital in the offseason, hopes to become a doctor after his football career is over and return to his native Nigeria to help fight the AIDS crisis in Africa.

With the trade, Gado will be reunited with former Packers coach Mike Sherman, who was hired as an assistant head coach and offensive line coach for the Texans after he was fired by the Packers.

Gado was in the middle of an interview session in the Packers locker room on Wednesday when running backs coach Edgar Bennett summoned him to a private meeting.

Gado had just been asked whether the Packers could recover from a 26-0 defeat by the Chicago Bears in their season opener at Lambeau Field on Sunday.

"The season's not over yet," Gado said. "It's just beginning. And we got off on the wrong foot, and I think it's just foolhardy to just go ahead and throw the whole season out."

Morency was a third-round pick in last year's draft. He played in 13 games, including a start in the season finale at San Francisco, and gained 184 yards on 46 carries with two touchdowns.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I hate this trade. Goto has done way more than this guy were getting.

swede
09-13-2006, 04:16 PM
My father taught me to bang the hell out of the side of the old black and white TV set when it would drop into that vertical roll problem and the picture sucked.

Sometimes it worked really good.

Sometimes it didn't.

Trading Gado for Morency is like banging the TV set.

Might work really good--Won't hurt our season if it doesn't.

I like TT's little trades.

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 04:20 PM
They'll be discussing this trade very soon on nfl network for those that have it - if anything is good I'll post it.

KYPack
09-13-2006, 04:25 PM
I've been banging on TT like a gong lately.

I give the man credit.

At least this is a move to improve the talent on the roster.

That's a good deal.

SkinBasket
09-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Would it be considered spamming other forums if someone dropped a link to this thread here so they can look at what we're saying? Seems to me it would be interesting to try to establish a mutual link any time something like this happens. Would be niec to have some first hand accounts if any of them signed up and were kind enough to tell us.

Mad? I know you arent doing anything useful. How about it?

Partial
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM

Would it be considered spamming other forums if someone dropped a link to this thread here so they can look at what we're saying? Seems to me it would be interesting to try to establish a mutual link any time something like this happens. Would be niec to have some first hand accounts if any of them signed up and were kind enough to tell us.

Mad? I know you arent doing anything useful. How about it?

Not that I can speak in Mad's place but I was thinking that would be a good idea myself. It's always good to establish a relationship and bring in new ambassadors.

woodbuck27
09-13-2006, 04:37 PM
This is off the Houston Texans Fan Forum Site (ESPN Board)

Morency for Gado

AstroJedi Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:03 PM Quote

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Did not see that coming.

Re: Morency for Gado

skotter Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:05 PM Quote

Packerfan here. Don't you guys run the same identical scheme? Gado struggled with it and looked awful on returns and running last week for the Pack. So why trade for him. I don't know much about Morency..why would Houston want to dump him?

havikk99 Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:09 PM Quote

well now the texans can beat the falcons

jvc2k5 Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:14 PM Quote

What's the skinny on Morency? Is he a quality back with some upside?

AstroJedi Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:21 PM Quote

What's the skinny on Morency? Is he a quality back with some upside?

yes, but he's already 25. He is shifty and the Texans wanted him to be a one cut and go runner. It sounds like that is what Green Bay wants as well. He showed signs of improving so maybe this will work out for both clubs. We'll see.

ez_goin1977_2 Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:24 PM Quote

Gado looked good last year. Not really sure I understand this trade on either side. I guess Sherman likes him.

TheyDontKnow Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:27 PM Quote

that doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense. Morency is a solid RB, there must have been some attitude problems.

but this shocks me. i thought morency could be a 1000 yd back for the texans.

things that make you go hhmmmm

ez_goin1977_2 Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:28 PM Quote

I feel bad for Morency, there's not many teams you could go to that are worse than the Texans ight now.

TheyDontKnow Posted: Sep 13, 2006 01:49 PM Quote

another early pick that was wasted.

Comment woodbuck27:

I'm a little surprised at this move.

I thought that Samkon appear'd scared (or tense) whenever I saw pic's etc. of him this off season. He certainly hasn't shown anything like we hoped we saw last season to date in OUR Off Season and to date.

Jeeee who's the backup FB ?

Noah Herron got the nod over Samkon Gado ?

Green and Morency at RB and Herron " Mr.Everything " RB/FB ?

We just gave up a very strong..a Bull of a Man at RB (fan favourite). . .I'm actually a whole lot surprised , yet we got a higher rated RB and a pretty good first day Draft pick. He's young also.

Man ! I'm surprised. The wheels in Green Bay are a turning. . We had better beat the Saints, LOL. :mrgreen:

Ahhhh. . . Go pack. . . go .

woodbuck27
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
# 34 Vernand Morency Position: RB Height: 5-9 Weight: 212
Born: 02/04/1980 College: Oklahoma State NFL Experience: 2

Rushing

Year Team.. G ...GS... Att... Yds ...Avg... Lg... TD.. 20+.. 1st
05 Texans.. 12... 1... 46.... 184... 4.0... 25.... 2..... 1..... 7
06 Texans.... 1... 0.... 5...... 13.... 2.6... 12.... 0.... 0..... 2
TOTAL...... 13... 1... 51.... 197.... 3.9... 25.... 2... .1..... 9

Receiving

Year Team... G ...GS... Rec... Yds.. Avg... Lg... TD.. 20+.. 40+.. 1st
05Texans.. ..12... 1.... 10..... 87... 8.7... 16.... 0 ....0...... 0...... 5
06Texans .....1.... 0..... 1....... 6... 6.0..... 6.... 0.... 0...... 0...... 0
TOTAL...... 13.... 1.... 11..... 93... 8.5... 16... 0..... 0...... 0...... 5

Kick Returns

Year Team G.... No... Yds... ....Avg... Lg... TD... 40+
05 Texans 12... 20... 437... 21.9.. 31... 0..... 0
06 Texans ..1.... 0....... 0 --- 0...... 0.... 0
TOTAL .... 13... 20... 437.... 21.9.. 31... 0..... 0

red
09-13-2006, 05:22 PM
wow, i'k a little stuned to see this trade today, but i can't really say i'm surprised

gado, was just not working in our new system, but he had some decent trade value

now, i've read a little about the new guy, and i really like what i'm reading

so i guess i really like this trade

this new guy might be our new #2 after he gets adjusted

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
It doesn't matter what he's done to this point (Gado got more playing time last year out of necessity) or where they were drafted (Morency was a 3rd round pick; Gado undrafted). It's what are they capable of in the future. My initial feeling is that both guys have some potential, but I like Morency more. It's mostly potential, but I liked him coming out of last year's draft. I saw enough of Gado to think he may never be a good RB in the ZBS Maybe the same can be said for Morency, but now we get a chance to look at him.

Fritz
09-13-2006, 05:58 PM
"My father taught me to bang the hell out of the side of the old black and white TV set"

I thought maybe for a sec I was in a sex ed thread.

Jimx29
09-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Quote from another forum:

This is a block buster trade.

all i can say is the 72 dolphins are lucky this move wasn't done before week 1. :D

mmmdk
09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
How fast is Morency? Does he play fast too? I hate seeing Gado go but the ZBS was (maybe) not his style.

Fritz
09-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Well, hell, it gives us something to talk about. Takes your mind off the depth chart at right tackle, y'know.

I don't mind. Two kick returners is better than no kick returners, which is what the Pack had before. And if Robinson is suspended, this is a good back up plan so you've got at least one guy back there who knows how to get to the twenty.

Now who else can we pawn off on Shermy? Not many of his draft picks left here, so that'll be tough...

woodbuck27
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Comments from Houston Texan Fans Re: the Morency for Gado trade:

** This guy can pound the ball and he is a between the tackles kind of runner, I think he will require less work as a project than Morency for Kubiak... Big problem is he fumbles way to often. But he is explosive

** I was led to believe few of the coaches liked him...so much for that tripe I guess. Our first day pick for an UFA? If Morency blows up in GB I'm gonna be ill.

** seams like an good move to me. He runs a 4.47 40, with some power. After his football days are over, he says that he want to be a doctor.

Here is a nice article on Gado http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=489603

In the article it talks about why the new coaching staff is down on Gado. Green Bay is switching to a zone blocking system and Gado is not picking it up well.

** I thought Morency was coming along very well. I would have started him and I don't get this at all. I guess anyone who wasn't chosen by this regime, other than Carr, AJ, and Robinson, is hanging on by a thread. I don't know anything about this GB guy, except that he's a UFA from Sherman's old team.

Well, now in 3 days we've been beaten badly in game 1 and lost the guy who I thought was our best (remaining anyway) RB. All I can do is throw up my hands and wonder why.

** This is a stupid trade! A third rounder for a UFA with no compensation!?!?!?!

** Is this true or some kind of sick early April Fool's joke? What? Huh? Someone tell me this is a nightmare? Gado for Morency? I just threw up a little in my mouth. Morency was hands down our best back in preseason, WTH????

** Gado started 5 games last season and sure got the job done, but how could we trade our best back for this guy??????????? I have trusted most decisions made by Kubaik and Co. up to this point, but if this is true I think I am gonna cry.

* Green Bay message boards reporting the same thing.They feel THEY are getting the raw deal.We'll see, I like Gado, I like Morency also.Any good confirmation yet?

* The reason we can trade our best back is because Lundy maybe a little worse if I want to be negative. Lundy is not a huge drop off from Morency, so at the worst possible scenario where Gado is horrible, it won't hurt us that bad. But yes, like I said before, the Packers fans are upset at trading Gado. They've seen him play more than we have, so they know what they've lost. And so do we with Morency. That's why we both feel we got screwed. It's a pretty even trade if you ask me, but Samkon has played in more games and has done more than Morency has. It's not like Morency went out there and had a 100 yard game and we traded him.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2872

* Oh please let this be true. Sam. Gado is awsome. I was watching the very first game he played in last year and he was awsome. The guy came from Liberty, and he just figured he would try the NFL and see what happend, just trying to find money for Med. School. He played awsome for the Packers and put up huge numbers before he was injured. We have a guy in the backfield who can move! He hits the hole fast and hard and can stretch the field. Great move if it is true. I can not believe GB let him go, he was a fan favorite big time!

* Yes, Gado is a beast.

* OMG it is true!!!!! LOL GB are suckers!!!!

* Dude you have no clue what you are talking about! Its o.k., but before you bash the guy, could you please tell me the last time Morency was NFL rookie of the month???????? In fact Gado was consistant 100 yrd a game back week in week out before his injury, and being the (third back) not #4!!! with HMMMMM Ahman Green, and Noah Harron is not that bad. You have no clue what you are talking about but hey, go ahead freedom of speech and everything. VENT YOU ANGER BUDDY!!!

* His upside is much higher than Morency.

In his 8 games last year on a craptastic team he gained 171 yds on 29 carries, which is better than DD's best game.

He's from the Okoye mold. I'm happy we now have a back that will punish whoever tries to tackle him

* One thing for sure, this coaching staff is not afraid to make changes to get the job done. Straight up trade if you ask me. Winner goes to the back with the most heart. Gado has shown some heart. I don't care who carries the ball, just move it down the field and put it in the endzone.

* The coaches are getting rid of players that they dont like and are getting ones that they are familiar with. This is an important step in creating the propar chemistry on the team. Kubiak and Sherman know what winning teams are like and this is part of the process.

* Gado is way faster and stronger than Morency! We came out smelling like a rose on this move

* Quit comparing where Gado and Morency were drafted. That doesn't matter anymore.

Is Joey Harrington better than Tom Brady, because Harrington was the #3 overall pick and Brady was a second day pick? Of course not.

Gado has proven more in the league than Morency has. Go back and watch his game last year against Atlanta, where he absolutely destroyed. If Gado can't run the ball in Houston, it will be entirely because of our o-line talent and our run-bocking scheme. Because he can run. Yeah, he fumbled the ball, but he was a rookie. Lots of rookie RBs fumble.

I like this trade ALOT.

* DD in 4 years hasn't been able to break a run longer than Gado did in 8 games. We need to face the facts DD is done. Gado at 23 is a damn good back to have in years to come.

* The last couple of transactions look like we are trying to fix our KO return problem... Buc and Roc got hurt.. That leaves the backs to do the honors. Is it possible he could fill those shoes? Maybe Morencey can't field Kickoffs.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdarTD8Tp8

GB thought it was smart to hire the Offensive Coord. for the 49'ers as a head coach. Trying to make sense of that organization will drive a person crazy.

* I went to a Packer fan base web site to read what their fans think and the majority of the fans are p/o that he was gone. A lot of the fans did not believe it. One fan said he checked our web site and said the confermation was legit. Then the fans started off on Sherman loving Gado and how Gado does not really fit their new current offensive scheme.

* Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog

"Is this because of Morency's performance against the Eagles because I don't think Gado or Tomlinson would have helped our running game last week."

I think it was more of Morency's inability to adjust to the zone running style. I heard about it a few times this pre-season, about how he was dancing around instead of one cut and run.

* That was quick...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernand_Morency

Vernand Morency (born February 4, 1980 in Miami, Florida) is an American football running back currently playing for the Green Bay Packers of the NFL.

* Gado steps in as the fastest running back in Texans History LOL! He also steps in as probably the most intelligent Houston Texan in our history. One thing is for sure, we have a guy that will have no problem memorizing the play book!

* Quote:
Originally Posted by dantem

" The last couple of transactions look like we are trying to fix our KO return problem... Buc and Roc got hurt.. That leaves the backs to do the honors. Is it possible he could fill those shoes? Maybe Morencey can't field Kickoffs.'

Sorry to quote myself but I wanted to add to this..

Morencey is our first string Kick return Guy and we are down to him and Edell Shepherd.

* Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario

" I think it was more of Morency's inability to adjust to the zone running style. I heard about it a few times this pre-season, about how he was dancing around instead of one cut and run ".

I don't think thats what it was...I don't think they saw him as a full time back...I don't think they thought he was the type of back you could give the ball to 20+ times, and with a rookie, and aging veteran in Dayne we needed that middle of the road guy that we feel like we can depend on...I heard he is coming off of an injury...not sure how severe of an injury it was, but obviously the coaches feel like he's fully healed and ready to go...

* I think this guy played in a nationaly televised game last year. The name is
so unusual and I remember the fuss about him. He broke a real long run in that game ? The Pack was playing someone in their divison as I recall ?
Is this a statement that the Packers don't like Gado that much, or they really see something in Morency and are willing to part with value for a prospect ?
I thought Morency was very impressive in preseason, way superior to Lundy.

* This is a pretty good trade for you guys. You get another young running back who has proven what he can do in the league. He played well last year in the absence of Ahman Green and Davenport. He basically carried the whole rushing load for the Packers on a bad team. Once you get your run blocking scheme down he may challenge Wali Lundy for the starting spot if Lundy keeps running like he did on Sunday.

* Morency started one game, Gado started five games.

* People on these boards seriously need to get over where these guys were drafted, because it's irrevelent. The only thing that matters is their talent and their potential. I'm personally very excited about this trade because I saw Gado play last year and he performed quite well, and I feel that he's proven more at this point.

* " But Gado has struggled to adjust to the zone-blocking scheme being run by new Packers coach Mike McCarthy."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2586476

ESPNs take is that the Gado has struggled in the ZB in GB.

Guess the ESPN guy doesn't realize we also run the ZB, or he would find some irony in his own remark.

Management probably has him working full time on Reggie Bush propaganda, so doesn't have time to learn about other backs in the league.

Nigerian guy gonna like this climate, and Morency (I think from Texas), gonna have to invest in some long johns.

* Last year GB's head coach was SF's Off Coord.

Pendry's offense outgained his by almost 500 yds.

* Gado has power and speed. Morency might be more polished but he's not got that second gear that you need in a one-cut system.
see the hole, BANG, there goes Gado... just watch that youtube link...

i think both teams did ok here. but the packers fans seem more upset to lose gado than we seem to lose morency, FWIW.

* Gado produced in those games, against decent teams. If he didnt fumble, he would look better.

Morency, not being his fault, only against that one team, but I remember them being in the running for Bush so they werent all that good.

Morency could be a good back, but Gado has a better resume.

* . . . Morency has never been given a real shot by this team under two regimes.

* It don't matter what runningbacks the Texans have. It all start up front, the O-Line.

If the O-Line play like last week game Lundy, Dayne and Gado going to put up 70 yards combine.

and. . . I'll stop right thee.

Good Bye Samkon.... Mr. GADO.

GADO...Great name for " a James BOND Book Character".

ND72
09-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Not gonna lie, i'm excited about this trade. I've said for a long time, Gado doesn't fit what we're doing anymore. He's a bad kick returner, and an average running back. Morency is a kid who honestly has a lot MORE potential than Gado has. And he ran in OSU's zone offense when he was there, as opposed to being taken out for a zone play in Gado.

BananaMan
09-13-2006, 06:25 PM
When I read the headline at Packers.com of "Packers aquire RB Morency" at first I thought it was the Maroney rookie from the Pats, but then I realized he was the Texans guy. My next feeling was of joy, because I watched him play this preseason and he looked REALLY, REALLY good.

Then I saw that they traded Samkon.

This sums it all up:

:shock::sad::mad::neutral::?:cry:

I'm going to miss you Samkon. Nicest guy I've ever met. I hope you dominate with the Texans.

I like Morency A LOT but man... this is hard to swallow.

Ballboy
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
I really don't care too much about the trade.......however it seems to me that this is a your third string for our third string at the exact same position.

Why?

You trade to upgrade your team, this guy couldn't beat out a rookie! I would guess as it has been said in the post that Houston runs the same blocking as us?!!

Would rather have had a OL/FB or DE.

xxmattsharpxx
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
This trade has me excited for the first time in weeks. Since I live in Oklahoma, I had a chance to see this guy play in college quite a bit. If Oklahoma University didn't have a certain Heisman runner up in 2004 (Adrain Peterson), Vernand Morency would have been the biggest running back name in Oklahoma. He had a nice burst of quickness and some power when hitting the hole. He had 3 games in a row in college rushing for over 200 yards!!! All in all, a MUCH bigger upside than Gado...

Like somebody said before, he probably ticked off some coaches last year for being lazy or something. :smile:

Kiwon
09-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Samkon was a great feel-good story and one of the few bright spots last year, but it sounds like the ZBS wasn't a good fit.

Anyway, Samkon's smart enough to already focus on life after football. Houston's got world-class M.D. Anderson hospital there and hopefully he will be able to make some good contacts that can further his dream to become a doctor.

God bless him.

woodbuck27
09-13-2006, 07:01 PM
My take on this trade:

Morency wasn't popular with the Coach's in Houston.Treat that as Rumor at this time,please.

He also wasn't the guy they wanted in their ZBS; and after a decent preseason for Morency (his attitude wasn't going to cut it??) so the Coach's decided to go with the #2 RB Wali Lundy to start the season.

Now ...we have Morency and attitude? ... and "a man with alot of pull in Houston- Mike Sherman - saw an oportunity to bring in an intelligent, hard working faster, hard running - outstanding Rookie RB (Samkon Gado... who had fallen out of favor in Green Bay, with what seemed like a lack of confidence, mmmmm, and reports that he... just wasn't getting OUR ZBS.

Because he wasn't getting comfortable with OUR ZBS - despite the fact that in both Franchises - the OL is weak) Sherman swung the Texans to deal for Samkon Gado. Better Resume in the NFL and a crack attitude and skills above Morency's (Samkon Gado, stronger and faster and very intelligent)People here will get all excited, because Morency was a first day 3rd rounder in 2004 Vs. an Undrafted FA from a small College "Liberty" and that is irrelevanrt.

The relevant question to ask OURSELVES RE: the TRADE is:

Who has showed up BEST to date in the NFL between these two RB's? Who has the BEST NFL Resume?

Well that would be the fella we traded. . for the fella that hasn't showed up except in ONE NFL Game against some also ran NFL Team.

SAMKON GADO has the BEST NFL Resume. . yet Ted thompson trades him for the RB with a possible attitude ,an equal difficulty fitting their ZBS and he's an inferior athlete to gado as well.Houston fans report that gado is faster and stronger although I saw a short video of Morency and he reminded me of a famous RB who can really hit a defender.

It also appears that (maybe attitude was the reason ) but Morency didn't get a decent shot in Houston.

In the preliminary assessment of any trade. Common sense dictates that you don't compare these two RB's size of College program : results in their respective College Careers and NFL Draft status as a primary factor of weighing in on the trade as to which side got the BEST Value. Maybe it was a straight up fair or equal trade? You have to weigh alot to establish who won.

You look at their results in NFL game action as a PRIMARY assessment.

Samkon GADO did it better than Morency has to date in NFL Games and he started more games.What was it? Five to one . . GADO???.

Did Samkon try hard and did he have a solid attitude? YES !!

Coach's in Texas didn't like Morency according to fans, that seem to have the REAL scoop in my experience. Support for that... is what Texan fans have to report on Morency's solid preseason game results and recognized by them over Lundy's performance... .yet lundy becomes #1 RB to start the season.

If he was a solid guy would they trade him? NO !

In that aspect of analysing this trade Sherman sells them on an alternative to Morency's attitude.. with a RB that is intelligrent and all heart . . Samkon Gado.

Some will say that Morency can return KO's, but he only did so in 2004 and we just signed "the man for that anyway, in Koren Robinson" a fella that made the Pro Bowl in that ST area and can also return punts as well.

So why did Ted thompson make this trade?

I don't need to tell you.

Today, Ted Thompson (in a preliminary analysis... made a bad trade as I review it.

The Houston Texans have to be estatic.

Bretsky
09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
All emotions aside, Gado stunk this year. So we got something for a guy who was having too hard of a time adjusting to our system to contribute.
I'm not excited about it, but I do think we gained a heck of a lot more potential help than we were going to get.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I still don't get how this helps Samkon. He's going from a ZBS that he had trouble picking up, to a ZBS. Unless they're going to change their blocking scheme, he'll have the same kind of trouble there that he had here--especially if they think he's gonna run back kicks, etc. I am so gonna miss him.

woodbuck27
09-13-2006, 07:30 PM
All emotions aside, Gado stunk this year. So we got something for a guy who was having too hard of a time adjusting to our system to contribute.
I'm not excited about it, but I do think we gained a heck of a lot more potential help than we were going to get.

FOR the first time B. I must disagree with you.

Who here will admit, that just maybe, the reason that Gado never got on track this Off Season was because the ZBS isn't working in Green Bay to date.

OUR OL is very bad,B. Even Tauscher and Clifton look ordinary to bad.They are already burning out.

In Houston the OL is also Bad. If the OL is bad few RB's will look comfortable more less thrive.

Ahman Green had an extraordinary game in a losing cause against a really tough BEAR "D" for reasons that are unusual to me, except that he's an awesome RB with skills and experience.

We lost this trade. :mrgreen:

GBRulz
09-13-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm def going to miss Gado. He was one of the few bright spots about last season. But, that was last season and we must move on and just wish him well.

I am not sure how good the Texas OL is, but I'm sure it's an improvement over what he has here.

Good luck Samkon :cry:

Partial
09-13-2006, 07:35 PM
This trade has me excited for the first time in weeks. Since I live in Oklahoma, I had a chance to see this guy play in college quite a bit. If Oklahoma University didn't have a certain Heisman runner up in 2004 (Adrain Peterson), Vernand Morency would have been the biggest running back name in Oklahoma. He had a nice burst of quickness and some power when hitting the hole. He had 3 games in a row in college rushing for over 200 yards!!! All in all, a MUCH bigger upside than Gado...

Like somebody said before, he probably ticked off some coaches last year for being lazy or something. :smile:

Welcome to the board cowboy!

ahaha
09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Somebody got screwed in this deal. Two young prospects swapped for each other. Both teams have problems on the offensive line, and both new to the ZBS. My guess is both teams got screwed. They pawned off their mediocrity for ours.

woodbuck27
09-13-2006, 07:49 PM
I still don't get how this helps Samkon. He's going from a ZBS that he had trouble picking up, to a ZBS. Unless they're going to change their blocking scheme, he'll have the same kind of trouble there that he had here--especially if they think he's gonna run back kicks, etc. I am so gonna miss him.

I am absolutely amazed at how posters here will just sweep it all under the mat.

I will be watching this trade very closely and reminding this board, just how well Samkon is doing in Houston in their ZBS that leaves alot to be desired behind a (reported by Texan Fans) a weak OL.

If Morency had an attitude that Hoston Team Coach's didn't approve of? The question I have is why? Listen closely to TT's media release on this RB Morency.Did he know a whole lot about him,MJ?

I know the answer to that question according to sourse.

Was Morency given a decnt shot? NO he wasn't according to Houston fans. Gado was given that by TT and Sherman and he did very well under a conventional OL scheme.

Would he have ever got it in Green Bay? We'll never know now,will we? He'll sure get a chance to see if he can do it elsewhere though. :mrgreen:

GOOD LUCK Samkon.

GBRulz
09-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I hope Gado kicks ass in Texas.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm glad he landed in TX and not med school...still, :sad:

OS PA
09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
I'll miss the man, but it'll fun to see him featured again. Good player, good character, great heart, all around good human being. He should start for them and put up decent numbers.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Good luck Samkon, you gave us something to feel good about in the midst of a 4-12 season. Best of luck with Carr and co.

Hello new guy, make sure you arent roomed up with Koren on the road! :mrgreen:

Sparkey
09-13-2006, 08:52 PM

FOR the first time B. I must disagree with you.

Who here will admit, that just maybe, the reason that Gado never got on track this Off Season was because the ZBS isn't working in Green Bay to date.

OUR OL is very bad,B. Even Tauscher and Clifton look ordinary to bad.They are already burning out.

In Houston the OL is also Bad. If the OL is bad few RB's will look comfortable more less thrive.

Ahman Green had an extraordinary game in a losing cause against a really tough BEAR "D" for reasons that are unusual to me, except that he's an awesome RB with skills and experience.

We lost this trade. :mrgreen:

THIS YEAR:

I watched as Gado was hesitant to run towards the LOS.
I watched as Gado looked like he was wearing cement boots returning kicks.
I watched Gado prove is inability to play FB.

So, to sum it up. He looked slow, indecisive and did not have versatility.

I hope he does well in Houston, but I like Morency as a player better.

Packers4Ever
09-13-2006, 09:22 PM

Haven't you heard? We're not supposed to understand what's going on anymore. :roll:
I couldn't believe it when I heard Sam Gado had been traded. I know he wasn't exactly a shining star in TC but I figured M3 would give him more leeway. Of course he wasn't here last fall to see Sam wow everyone with some of those running plays.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2006, 09:35 PM
You trade to upgrade your team, this guy couldn't beat out a rookie!

And Samkon Gado couldn't beat out Noah Herron.

I love how some of the Texans fans are like "this Gado is a beast and fast... we pulled one over on the Packers."

Gado looked solid last year. He looked like a different back this year. He could have been a 6 game wonder or a bad fit for the system. Whatever! I hope both guys perform well with their new teams.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I couldn't believe it when I heard Sam Gado had been traded. I know he wasn't exactly a shining star in TC but I figured M3 would give him more leeway. Of course he wasn't here last fall to see Sam wow everyone with some of those running plays.

I doubt the decision was made by McCarthy. Thompson isn't going to give McCarthy a player he doesn't want, but a move like this is the GM's call.

Packers4Ever
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I hope Gado kicks ass in Texas.

AMEN ! I'll miss him too.... :sad:

Joemailman
09-13-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm def going to miss Gado. He was one of the few bright spots about last season. But, that was last season and we must move on and just wish him well.

I am not sure how good the Texas OL is, but I'm sure it's an improvement over what he has here.

Good luck Samkon :cry:

Actually Michele, the Houston OL has been a full-blown disaster the last 2 years. David Carr has been running for his life. I don't know what they did to upgrade it in the off-season. Gado just wasn't cutting it here this year. I agree though, that he was one of the few bright spots in a dark season last year. For that he will be fondly remembered.

Zool
09-13-2006, 10:46 PM
If this move means we NEVER EVER have Noah returning kicks again, its worth it. I would assume he will be activated for this weekends game? Would be dangerous or outright stupid to go into a game with 2RB and 1(maybe)FB.

Joemailman
09-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Yes, I believe Herrin is considered to be the backup fullback.

VegasPackFan
09-13-2006, 11:22 PM
It just seems to me that we have absolutley nothing at RB anymore except Green.

He goes down and you can forget any run game.

It will take a while for this new guy to learn our offense too.

J-Rok
09-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Don't worry. We never get injured. Nothing to worry about.

Guiness
09-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Cool - I've got Morency in my FF pool - I was just thinking it was weird for me not to have a single Packer on my team. Problem is, this lowers his value - I figured he'd replace Lundy within a couple of weeks 8-)

Saw that he played in the Colorado Rockies minor league system for 4 years, and was drafted 2 years ago? How old is this guy???

GrnBay007
09-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Cool - I've got Morency in my FF pool - How old is this guy???

someone posted he's 26

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Cool - I've got Morency in my FF pool - I was just thinking it was weird for me not to have a single Packer on my team. Problem is, this lowers his value - I figured he'd replace Lundy within a couple of weeks 8-)

Saw that he played in the Colorado Rockies minor league system for 4 years, and was drafted 2 years ago? How old is this guy???

# 34 Vernand Morency Position: RB Height: 5-9 Weight: 212
Born: 02/04/1980 College: Oklahoma State NFL Experience: 2

He was 26 Years old on April 02 Guiness.

run pMc
09-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Gado was a feel-good story from last year.
Gado has a better 40 time than Morency.
Morency has supposedly has better hands than Gado and thus would probably be better suited to the 3rd down back role than Herron. This would let GB spell Green on 3rd downs and keep him fresher.
Gado seems (IMO) to lack vision or confidence to know where the seam is going to be and to hit it.
Haven't seen Morency play, so I can vouch for his running in the ZBS.

I've never been that impressed with Gado as a RB. I looked at his situational stats on Yahoo (of all places), and it looks like his best runs were wide. It also looks like his ypc went down with each quarter. I'd rather have a back that gets stronger as the game goes on. Finally, his ypc when tied or ahead (which wasn't often) was less than 3.0 ypc; when GB was behind it was 5.2...I suspect this was because once the opponent got ahead, the defense could just sit back and pick off Favre.

So in a couple of important points of a game (late in game or when tied/ahead) he wasn't exactly woney in the bank. He sounds like great guy and I wish him well in HOU, but I don't think this is a big loss for GB. They'll need to do a serious upgrade of the backfield after the season.

SkinBasket
09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/skinbasket/sg01.jpg

The Yahoo FF community seems to think Gado will be a good fit in Houston. Fools.

Zool
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Well he will probably start within a couple weeks. Starting RB is worth a whole lot more fantasy wise than a backup.

Tarlam!
09-17-2006, 04:14 AM
I know he was disappointing and all. But, I sure do miss him. He is such a nice guy.