Per Drew Rosenhouse

Bretsky
03-14-2021, 03:29 PM
Beat me to the punch :))))

I appreciate AJO. Jones and Dillon will make on the best set of RB's in the NFL

red
03-14-2021, 03:34 PM
That's a lot for a RB, even for a very good one

I thought the 9 million people were talking about giving him was too much to pay a RB

History just keeps showing that it doesn't pay off to pay them

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 03:35 PM
Beat me to the punch :))))

I appreciate AJO. Jones and Dillon will make on the best set of RB's in the NFL

For sure. I would expect Jones to slide into Williams 3rd down role. He's become rock solid in pass pro, catches the ball well and can still run for 10+ yards. Dillon starts seeing more 1st and 2nd down action. This is good for Aaron Rodgers too.

Bretsky
03-14-2021, 03:38 PM
I am not sure how they will both be used. I could see Jones starting and Matty just going with the flow of the game.

Would really love to see them sign a WR and use the draft to shore up CB/OL, and ILB now

I thought Corey Davis, but I think CD is getting a loot of money and is on all kids of radar's

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 03:43 PM
Rodgers

Jones
Adams
Tonyan
Lazard
MVS in the 5 spot.

Obviously bakhs injury looms a little, but the skill guys are there to move the ball. All three of Tonyan, Lazard and MVS, I think all of them have another gear in them. Would be cool if a Bulaga type RT fell in our lap. Then the offense looks pretty good. OT is my new top hope.

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 03:47 PM
Tonyan didn't even have an offseason with the core surgery last year. I think he has a full extra gear with the physical gain and chemistry. Lazard with the core and chemistry too. He has a full extra gear. And MVS is still ascending. So the skill guys look to be top notch for 12.

Sparkey
03-14-2021, 04:25 PM
13 Million signing bonus.

Upnorth
03-14-2021, 04:30 PM
Sigh. Ol was more important to sign than rb. Oh well.. He is a good player

Sparkey
03-14-2021, 04:39 PM
Z Smith to sign contract extension to create cap room for A Jones new deal.

Teamcheez1
03-14-2021, 04:44 PM
I think $12M a year for Jones is too much, but it all depends what the real numbers are in the contract.

I do like him, but expensive RB’s don’t usually pan out.

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 04:55 PM
Rodgers has played with some varieties of teams. He's had OLs with Bahktiari/Sitton/Lindsley/Lang/Bulaga but had Richard Rodgers and Jeff Janis catching balls. And he's had Jennings/Driver/Nelson/Jones and Finley as weapons but had Newhouse protecting his blind side.

This is a skill position chemistry year for 12

Adams 8 years
Jones 5 years
MVS 4 years
Tonyan 3 years
Lazard 3 years

He has some chemistry with the whole arsonal but has a sketchy OL. 12 should be able to work some magic with a less than perfect surrounding cast because it has enough strengths to find some things they do well. If Bakh rounds into shape for the playoffs they could be elite down the stretch.

Jones makes the sketchy OL less of a concern.

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 04:59 PM
TE with Tonyan likely to have a full other gear in him because of last year's core surgery and the experience with his QB

AND

Jones at running back with big play ability AND chemistry with QB

AND

Lazard having another gear and a TEs blocking skills

This is the best run/pass skill group Rodgers has worked with and should definitely be enough for a dynamic balanced offense to take shape.

King Friday
03-14-2021, 05:04 PM
I hate spending top dollar at RB...makes no sense. Jones is a great talent, but history is pretty clear that the chances of this deal looking good for the Packers at the end of it are slim to none. This basically means there will be no help coming for the defense this year unless we get ridiculously fortunate in the draft.

Joemailman
03-14-2021, 05:16 PM
I am not sure how they will both be used. I could see Jones starting and Matty just going with the flow of the game.

Would really love to see them sign a WR and use the draft to shore up CB/OL, and ILB now

I thought Corey Davis, but I think CD is getting a loot of money and is on all kids of radar's

During MLF's one year as DC at Tennessee he started using both Henry and Dion Lewis in the backfield at the same time. Jones' ability to lineup at WR as well as RB creates lots of possibilities.

Upnorth
03-14-2021, 05:49 PM
Him and dillion are going to be interesting in backfield together. My daughter said he is 8.25 mill against this year.

I bet we could have got Lindsey and Desmond king for that money.

Joemailman
03-14-2021, 05:53 PM
Him and dillion are going to be interesting in backfield together. My daughter said he is 8.25 mill against this year

So that means 5M plus 1/4 of the signing bonus. It'll be interesting to see how much of the 35M to be earned is in the last year of the contract.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2021, 06:17 PM
Real numbers look team friendly. Only $13M signing bonus and apparently the contract is $9.5M/year with incentives to reach $12M/year. I'm glad they got this done. I understand not paying RBs, but Jones is dynamic, he's great for team culture, and with Dillon they don't have to run him into the ground. MLF's scheme needs a good running game to be effective.

Since 1990, the three highest career yards/carry:
Jamaal Charles 5.38
Nick Chubb 5.23
Aaron Jones 5.17

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 07:11 PM
Real numbers look team friendly. Only $13M signing bonus and apparently the contract is $9.5M/year with incentives to reach $12M/year. I'm glad they got this done. I understand not paying RBs, but Jones is dynamic, he's great for team culture, and with Dillon they don't have to run him into the ground. MLF's scheme needs a good running game to be effective.

Jamaal Charles 5.38
Nick Chubb 5.23
Aaron Jones 5.17

Team culture is important. It's a business but some loyalty goes a long way

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 07:22 PM
Dillon and Jones are good compliments too. If Jones has a weakness it's short yardage. If Dillon has a weakness it's inexperience in a 3rd down role. Between the two, we should be elite in all situations.

George Cumby
03-14-2021, 08:47 PM
Real numbers look team friendly. Only $13M signing bonus and apparently the contract is $9.5M/year with incentives to reach $12M/year.
Jamaal Charles 5.38
Nick Chubb 5.23
Aaron Jones 5.17

Good news.

And good Lord.

KYPack
03-14-2021, 08:52 PM
I'll be damned. Tex you were right about that one. I really love this kid and hope we get some quality years out of this contract.

smuggler
03-14-2021, 10:44 PM
I'm pleased with the deal. Yes, it's a lot to pay for a running back, but he can be a pretty dynamic guy and he's not exactly ancient. He hasn't been carrying the ball 300 times a season, either, so load management may play into it as well. Most importantly, it's hard not to root for a guy that is willing to put his (non-financially speaking) career and aspirations first. He would almost certainly not be as good in a different offense and would have drastically diminished his chances at a title by leaving, and I think this contract speaks to that.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2021, 11:13 PM
I'll be damned. Tex you were right about that one. I really love this kid and hope we get some quality years out of this contract.

I hadn't seen the news until just now my grandson called me about it. Hallelujah!!! This is Great! And they appear to have gotten a little bit of a discount on the deal too. As I have said over and over and over, it was absolutely imperative that they keep him or else the team would be significantly worse off.

My opinion of Gutekunst is rising again after starting to worry about him failing to keep Jones. Now he has to complete his job and secure Aaron Rodgers for the long term.

wist43
03-14-2021, 11:25 PM
Glad he's back... very dynamic playmaker, and adds another dimension in the passing game.

Upnorth
03-15-2021, 07:18 AM
My opinion of Gutekunst is rising again after starting to worry about him failing to keep Jones. Now he has to complete his job and secure Aaron Rodgers for the long term.

I find it funny how you look at this and think great job gute and I look at this and see it as misguided and a mistake. To me this one rb (and rb2 production is the easiest to replace especially with a quality line) cost us a pro bowl centre and a slot CB.

Zool
03-15-2021, 08:26 AM
I find it funny how you look at this and think great job gute and I look at this and see it as misguided and a mistake. To me this one rb (and rb2 production is the easiest to replace especially with a quality line) cost us a pro bowl centre and a slot CB.

They seem to be able to come up with pro bowl centers without much of an issue. RBs who can go the distance and catch like a WR are not nearly as common.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 09:15 AM
The sombrero stays in Green Bay!

https://onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/static/pjimage-5079.jpg

Fritz
03-15-2021, 09:30 AM
The sombrero stays in Green Bay!

https://onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/static/pjimage-5079.jpg

Wait . . . does this mean Aaron Jones is related to Mad somehow?

I also have to chuckle at how many people get on this site and rage that the Packers never go all-in to sign the big talent and try to get poor Aaron Rodgers enough talent to get another ring.

Then they sign their most talented playmaker outside of Rodgers and maybe Adams, and certainly the best running back we've seen around here since Fat Eddie Lacy, who was good for what, two years, and everybody's moaning and groaning about what a bad signing this is.

And if RB's are so damn easy to come by, how do you explain lineups that featured Brandon Jackson and Ryan Grant and James Starks and the like? It took them three years to replace Lacy's production on a similar level. For those of you bitching about getting poor Rodgers another ring, can the team afford to wait another three years?

I know it's a risk with running backs. But the guy's a blue chip player, and not so easily replaceable as many of you seem to think.

Plus he's not a guy who will just stop working out now. He's got a work ethic.

CaptainKickass
03-15-2021, 11:42 AM
the guy's a blue chip player, and not so easily replaceable

Agreed.

Something else to consider

Aaron Jones, 26, is one of only two players in NFL history to post 3,000-plus yards rushing (3,364) and 35-plus rushing touchdowns (37), with an average of 5-plus yards per carry (5.2) in their first four seasons. Jim Brown is the other.

I'm not saying Aaron Jones is the next Jim Brown, but it seems to me he's the best running back the Packers have had since Ahman Green.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/media/batmansignallightlarge.5555/full?d=1565538438

RashanGary
03-15-2021, 12:16 PM
The nice thing about Jones, he’s about as valuable as a WR and comes for a lot less money. If he plays 14 games per season he’s worth that 10 easy.

bobblehead
03-15-2021, 12:28 PM
Cons: A lot to pay a RB, especially in a year with a softened FA market and back of the round pick where best RBs go.

Pros: Its not a mountain of guaranteed money. Its under market value and only reaches market value if he performs. It sends a message to the team that if you play out your rookie deal without holding out or complaining this organization will do everything it can to reward you. Continuity of offense. He is a class guy not likely to mail it in after getting paid.

I can live with it. I still think the "right" move in a financial vacuum wasn't to pay a RB, but the other factors....especially the message to young guys make me happy enough to have a guy who has done everything right back in the fold.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2021, 12:35 PM
I understand not paying RBs, but sometimes it works out. Jones won't mail it in, and he doesn't have a lot of mileage.

Here's another thing to think about:

Jonnu Smith just got 4y/$50M with $31M guaranteed from New England. Aaron Jones got 4y/$43-48M with $13M guaranteed.

bobblehead
03-15-2021, 12:45 PM
I understand not paying RBs, but sometimes it works out. Jones won't mail it in, and he doesn't have a lot of mileage.

Jonnu Smith just got 4y/$50M with $31M guaranteed from New England. Aaron Jones got 4y/$43-48M with $13M guaranteed.

Like I said, its below market value. It also locks him to us through his and any RBs prime. I love the kid. I always said I hope he gets paid. He definitely left money on the table to come back. I love him more. Hope for him and all of us he gets a few rings in that deal.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 01:09 PM

Tonyan and his agent have to be doing cartwheels over that Jonnu Smith contract.

Fritz
03-15-2021, 01:17 PM
Cons: A lot to pay a RB, especially in a year with a softened FA market and back of the round pick where best RBs go.

Pros: Its not a mountain of guaranteed money. Its under market value and only reaches market value if he performs. It sends a message to the team that if you play out your rookie deal without holding out or complaining this organization will do everything it can to reward you. Continuity of offense. He is a class guy not likely to mail it in after getting paid.

I can live with it. I still think the "right" move in a financial vacuum wasn't to pay a RB, but the other factors....especially the message to young guys make me happy enough to have a guy who has done everything right back in the fold.

Wow, a reasonable response from someone who is willing to see both sides.

Am I on Packerrats right now?

Kudos to Bobble here.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2021, 01:29 PM

I've always had the same opinion about paying big for RBs - until Aaron Jones came along. I saw the Cowboys pay big for Emmett Smith and regret it, and I saw them pay Ezekial Elliot and regret that too. Jones is different, though - younger than Smith was and a whole lot better attitude and character than Elliot or a lot of other good RBs. And of course, he is that kind of speed back breakaway threat that IMO we absolutely need. And I'm thinking this deal should only cost about $5 million against this years cap - $13 divided by 4 = $4.25 million + probably less than a million first year salary.

Upnorth
03-15-2021, 03:53 PM
Another problem with the jones signing is how to pay tonyan and still find a fa corner. Adams and z extensions will be mostly used by Tonyan so unless we are willing to reopen the rodgers contract (which if you saw what dal got would be epically stupid) we are getting our draft players and no fa.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2021, 05:32 PM
Another problem with the jones signing is how to pay tonyan and still find a fa corner. Adams and z extensions will be mostly used by Tonyan so unless we are willing to reopen the rodgers contract (which if you saw what dal got would be epically stupid) we are getting our draft players and no fa.

They can have Tonyan back for cheap this year, so it's not really an issue that needs to be dealt with now. If Tonyan's market is now similar to Jonnu Smith, we probably move on from him. Hopefully, Sternberger stays healthy and Deguara returns from his injury.

Upnorth
03-15-2021, 06:10 PM
While I don't think Tonyan gets Johnny money I thought we should try get a 4 year contract this year. And that won't be cheap.

sharpe1027
03-15-2021, 08:52 PM
We locked him up until he's 30 and can likely cut him in the final two years without taking a huge hit. Should cover all his best years with some flexibility if he gets injured or ages poorly.

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Posted this in the free agency thread, but it probably belongs here.

Rob Demovsky Retweeted
Field Yates
@FieldYates
ยท
5m
Aaron Jones' contract:
Signing bonus: $13M
Salaries: $1M, $1.1M, $8.1M, $11.1M
Roster bonuses: $3.75M in 2022, $7M in 2023
Annual per-gamers: $200K in 2021, $400K in 2022-2023
Workout: $50K in 2021, $500K in 2022-2024
Pro Bowl escalator: $250K annually

This could be a 2 year contract.

Zool
03-17-2021, 02:00 PM
Looks a lot like a $18.5M plus incentives over 2 years contract. If it's not working out after 2022, a $6.5M cap hit if they cut him before June 1st of 2023.

His cap hit in 2023 would be $18.5. I love me some Aaron Jones, but he ain't seeing that money.

Joemailman
03-17-2021, 02:07 PM
Looks a lot like a $18.5M plus incentives over 2 years contract. If it's not working out after 2022, a $6.5M cap hit if they cut him before June 1st of 2023.

His cap hit in 2023 would be $18.5. I love me some Aaron Jones, but he ain't seeing that money.Right. In 2023 they would save 13M on the cap by cutting him by June 1. https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-jones/5768/

Zool
03-17-2021, 02:27 PM
Right. In 2023 they would save 13M on the cap by cutting him by June 1. https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-jones/5768/

So he got $9M per for 2 years. Just like a ton of people thought.

bobblehead
03-17-2021, 05:56 PM
The more I'm seeing some of the contracts teams are still doling out, love the Jones deal. I didn't think the top guys would command these deals THIS year. Time will tell if I was wrong about mid tier guys getting underpaid.

RashanGary
03-17-2021, 06:22 PM
The more I'm seeing some of the contracts teams are still doling out, love the Jones deal. I didn't think the top guys would command these deals THIS year. Time will tell if I was wrong about mid tier guys getting underpaid.

It was only a 10% cap drop. A 10% savings makes sense. I didn't think your 50% discount concept was gonna pan out. But New England got a lot better. I have them winning the SB at +4000 because I saw this coming

Fritz
03-18-2021, 10:21 AM
The deal looks pretty team-friendly.

Next year the Smith Bros. will both be up for another renegotiate or cut. Anyone who thinks the Packers aren't all-in just needs to look at the cap hell Gutey is heading for.

jklowan
03-18-2021, 10:43 AM
There has to be another restructure or contract coming up as they are 3 million over the cap and still need money for the draft. I hope Devante gets a new contract as I was really hoping for a WR or CB signing before the draft and to sure up a couple of holes.

Joemailman
03-18-2021, 11:02 AM
There has to be another restructure or contract coming up as they are 3 million over the cap and still need money for the draft. I hope Devante gets a new contract as I was really hoping for a WR or CB signing before the draft and to sure up a couple of holes.

There are discrepancies right now as to whether Packers are over or under the cap. Spotrac has them under.

Joemailman
03-18-2021, 11:09 AM

Next year the Smith Bros. will both be up for another renegotiate or cut. Anyone who thinks the Packers aren't all-in just needs to look at the cap hell Gutey is heading for.

They're definitely all-in for 2021. The Smiths and Turner are all in contract years in 2021. And all the wide receivers. Should make for a very motivated team in 2021.

RashanGary
03-18-2021, 01:34 PM
They're definitely all-in for 2021. The Smiths and Turner are all in contract years in 2021. And all the wide receivers. Should make for a very motivated team in 2021.

True. Preston, more than anyone, seems to need that. If we can get Gary, P and Z all playing their best ball, our defense has a shot.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2021, 01:55 PM

That might be the case if the progression from this year to next was normal, but it's not. The cap should go up next year drastically to make up for this year.

Regarding the Jones contract, if it goes up severely in the fourth year, he's still only 30, so if he's still healthy and effective, restructure and extend him again.

bobblehead
03-19-2021, 10:22 AM
It was only a 10% cap drop. A 10% savings makes sense. I didn't think your 50% discount concept was gonna pan out. But New England got a lot better. I have them winning the SB at +4000 because I saw this coming

Well, a 10% drop when teams consistently push the ball forward expecting a 10% hike is pretty big. There has been some blood in the water. There will be some deals. We might end up with Kevin King back for $4 million one year deal. I can live with that. There are a LOT of decent players who have been cut or not signed yet. If the pack can add a couple serviceable players at key positions this can still work out the way I foresaw.

RashanGary
03-19-2021, 02:31 PM
Well, a 10% drop when teams consistently push the ball forward expecting a 10% hike is pretty big. There has been some blood in the water. There will be some deals. We might end up with Kevin King back for $4 million one year deal. I can live with that. There are a LOT of decent players who have been cut or not signed yet. If the pack can add a couple serviceable players at key positions this can still work out the way I foresaw.

I bet on it falling a certain way. I made small bets at +3000 to +4000 on the teams with money to spend. New England is the only team that went all in.

If Tua pans out, I like my dolphins bet too. They have a lot of good young players and the money to keep the band together plus add if they feel like it. I don't know if this is the year for the dolphins, but sometime in the next three, they really have a shot with the covid cap and all that extra money.

run pMc
03-20-2021, 12:02 PM

Yes. For those wondering what going all-in looks like, this is it. They really don't have much else for maneuvers aside from extending Z, Davante, or messing with Rodgers contract. That's basically it, and they've kicked a bunch of cap issues to next year. Russ Ball is probably already looking at how he's gonna clean that mess up. Having a handful of players taking up $100M of your cap is problematic.

Anyway --
This is a very team-friendly deal... basically a 2 year deal that is better than if they slapped the tag on him twice. I didn't think Jones would sign a deal like this, especially if the rumors of what he turned down late in the season are true. If you compare this deal to Cook/Kamara, this is a good deal for GB and assuming they cut his after 2 years he will still have enough tread on the tires to get another deal elsewhere. I am against giving RBs fat 2nd contracts, but considering Jones' cap hit is like $5M this year it's worth it IMO. Considering Jamaal signed with DET for about 2yr/$7.5M that's pretty dang good.

Dillon will eat up Jamaal's snaps and should be an upgrade at RB2. Both backs, especially Dillon, will need to brush up on their pass pro.

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2021, 04:24 PM
Those 3 restructures, though, may provide upwards of $40 million in cap space, with $5 million for Jones the only part of that used so far. If they are truly serious about maximizing things, we could get a Corner or O Lineman or D Lineman or even maybe all of the above.

Next year's cap will be drastically higher, plus they can kick the can farther down the road if necessary.

For what Detroit is paying Jamal, we could easily have kept him. I suspect, though, he saw the handwriting on the wall about Dillon playing more than him and didn't want to stay.

Joemailman
03-20-2021, 05:02 PM
Those 3 restructures, though, may provide upwards of $40 million in cap space, with $5 million for Jones the only part of that used so far. If they are truly serious about maximizing things, we could get a Corner or O Lineman or D Lineman or even maybe all of the above.

Next year's cap will be drastically higher, plus they can kick the can farther down the road if necessary.

For what Detroit is paying Jamal, we could easily have kept him. I suspect, though, he saw the handwriting on the wall about Dillon playing more than him and didn't want to stay.

The cap will be higher next year, but maybe not as high as you think. They have borrowed against the cap the next 2 years to raise it this year. Otherwise, the cap this year would have been much lower than 182M. League revenues dropped 25% in 2020 but they only dropped the salary cap 10%.

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2021, 05:38 PM
A 20% increase next year would be about $218 million. That ought to be easily within expectations. I suspect maybe the increased cap hits from these restructures may not be as bad as you think. 3, 4, or 5 year extensions don't hit all at once, and by 3 or 4 or 5 years, the cap should more than accommodate them. And of course, we can always either cut or do another restructure at that time, depending whether they deserve either.

Upnorth
03-21-2021, 08:44 AM
The cap will be higher next year, but maybe not as high as you think. They have borrowed against the cap the next 2 years to raise it this year. Otherwise, the cap this year would have been much lower than 182M. League revenues dropped 25% in 2020 but they only dropped the salary cap 10%.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that they did borrow from 2022 and 23 for this year. Add in the new tv money hits 2023 and that makes next year bad for us.those smith contracts could be ugly.

bobblehead
03-21-2021, 10:21 AM

I'll throw this out there though. If this were a normal year I would bet King goes out and gets a $7 million deal for 3 years. I bet we can re sign him for $4 million. Remember, he didn't suck all year and was even good in 2019. Guys like him fill out rosters. I hope we get him back for that kind of money on a prove it deal.

bobblehead
03-21-2021, 10:28 AM

This also messed up my theory. I didn't realize they could "borrow" from future caps. I thought the CBA was pretty ironclad as far as % of the revenue that went to players. It allowed a lot of teams to either spend more, or keep more of their assets.

run pMc
03-21-2021, 08:45 PM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/
right now GB sits 2nd last in cap space, with $213M in salaries. Looks like this site is assuming a cap of about $192M, since they have GB at $20M+ over that amount.

Not sure how reasonable that is, but I do know that they have definitely kicked the can down the road another year. This money won't just disappear -- and if they end up releasing players that means dead cap space they can't use (i.e., paying for players no longer on the roster) which is ok if you have a smaller number, but it also means money you can't use to sign a CB3 or a backup swing tackle.

Rodgers, Z, Bahk, Kenny Clark, and Jaire's 5th year will add up to just under $125M of the cap alone. Do not think there won't be some ugly cap ramifications down the road, TV deal or no.

bobblehead
03-22-2021, 11:34 AM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/
right now GB sits 2nd last in cap space, with $213M in salaries. Looks like this site is assuming a cap of about $192M, since they have GB at $20M+ over that amount.

Not sure how reasonable that is, but I do know that they have definitely kicked the can down the road another year. This money won't just disappear -- and if they end up releasing players that means dead cap space they can't use (i.e., paying for players no longer on the roster) which is ok if you have a smaller number, but it also means money you can't use to sign a CB3 or a backup swing tackle.

Rodgers, Z, Bahk, Kenny Clark, and Jaire's 5th year will add up to just under $125M of the cap alone. Do not think there won't be some ugly cap ramifications down the road, TV deal or no.

I think the initial plan was to trade Rodgers before 2022 season starts. However, if he puts up another season like last year, its almost impossible. Or, if you do, maybe you also try to move Z. Use the draft capital from those 2 guys, have a bad season under Love (like Rodgers first year starting) and then begin building again. We will pay the piper eventually, no way around it with the cap number on those 5 guys.

However if Rodgers plays out his deal you can probably kick it down the road til the TV deal hits. You won't be prolific spenders, but can maintain the roster and keep winning. I think the Jones deal (effectively 2 years) tells me they plan on a mini rebuild after Rodgers and would like to deal him while he has value. That could be after this season or even next.

Right now we appear geared up for a 2 year run at it. After that I would guess Rodgers is traded with a year left and the 2 year rebuild starts with Love proving he deserves a 2nd contract or not. If he does they do it and try to move into the elite teams again. If not....well, don't want to think about searching for a QB and being bad while doing it.

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2021, 12:28 PM
It's hard to believe Gutekunst could have ever been so bonehead stupid as to plan on trading Aaron Rodgers, but who knows, maybe he was/is.

People also talk about the Aaron Jones deal being "effectively a two year deal". Nope. I don't buy that either. The way I heard it, the most significant cap hit isn't until the fourth year, and even then, he will only be thirty, presumably still very effective and worth extending a couple or three more years.

As I said elsewhere, it's kinda ridiculous to think the cap hit for 4 or even 5 or 6 guys will reach $125 million. People thinking that just don't know how the cap works.

The speculation that the Packers are going all in for two years sorta implies that the leadership is ready to settle for mediocrity after that. I doubt they are that stupid, but again, who knows. It seems like a lot of posters see it that way. "Rebuilding" in the sense of tearing down and then if you get lucky, building back up is what loser teams do. For damn near thirty years, the Packers have consistently been near the top. I, for one, want to see things stay that way.

call_me_ishmael
03-22-2021, 12:45 PM
I think the initial plan was to trade Rodgers before 2022 season starts. However, if he puts up another season like last year, its almost impossible. Or, if you do, maybe you also try to move Z. Use the draft capital from those 2 guys, have a bad season under Love (like Rodgers first year starting) and then begin building again. We will pay the piper eventually, no way around it with the cap number on those 5 guys.

However if Rodgers plays out his deal you can probably kick it down the road til the TV deal hits. You won't be prolific spenders, but can maintain the roster and keep winning. I think the Jones deal (effectively 2 years) tells me they plan on a mini rebuild after Rodgers and would like to deal him while he has value. That could be after this season or even next.

Right now we appear geared up for a 2 year run at it. After that I would guess Rodgers is traded with a year left and the 2 year rebuild starts with Love proving he deserves a 2nd contract or not. If he does they do it and try to move into the elite teams again. If not....well, don't want to think about searching for a QB and being bad while doing it.

I think you're right, and I think it kind of sucks. I would much rather take a shot at the title and load up and suck for a year or two of Love (because they're going to suck anyway). If they don't get a title in the next year or two, the first four years of the LaFleur era will have been a failure in my opinion. The talent on this team is there and more importantly at the right positions to have a shot at it.

Joemailman
03-22-2021, 12:46 PM
It's hard to believe Gutekunst could have ever been so bonehead stupid as to plan on trading Aaron Rodgers, but who knows, maybe he was/is.

People also talk about the Aaron Jones deal being "effectively a two year deal". Nope. I don't buy that either. The way I heard it, the most significant cap hit isn't until the fourth year, and even then, he will only be thirty, presumably still very effective and worth extending a couple or three more years.

As I said elsewhere, it's kinda ridiculous to think the cap hit for 4 or even 5 or 6 guys will reach $125 million. People thinking that just don't know how the cap works.

The speculation that the Packers are going all in for two years sorta implies that the leadership is ready to settle for mediocrity after that. I doubt they are that stupid, but again, who knows. It seems like a lot of posters see it that way. "Rebuilding" in the sense of tearing down and then if you get lucky, building back up is what loser teams do. For damn near thirty years, the Packers have consistently been near the top. I, for one, want to see things stay that way.

The highest cap hit of the deal is in year 3 at 19.25 million. https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-jones/5768/ It's a 2 year deal in that if things aren't going great, the Packers can cut Jones after 2 years and save about 25M.

Zool
03-22-2021, 03:06 PM
The highest cap hit of the deal is in year 3 at 19.25 million. https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-jones/5768/ It's a 2 year deal in that if things aren't going great, the Packers can cut Jones after 2 years and save about 25M.

But, he heard it somewhere. Everyone else just looked at the numbers on the contract. Fools.

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2021, 09:05 PM

I read your link. You're right, but I think that $7 million roster bonus in year 3 can easily be converted, similar to what was done last week with Rodgers, so half counts in year 3 and half in year 4. Either way, this just screams of it being a good idea to restructure him for the 3rd year and beyond. This does cover the Packers, though, against the possibility of Jones getting a serious injury. I'm a little surprised that Rosenhaus let it be that way.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2021, 01:43 AM
You're right, but I think that $7 million roster bonus in year 3 can easily be converted, similar to what was done last week with Rodgers, so half counts in year 3 and half in year 4.

It wasn’t done with Rodgers. They paid the roster bonus.

sharpe1027
03-23-2021, 07:37 AM
I read your link. You're right, but I think that $7 million roster bonus in year 3 can easily be converted, similar to what was done last week with Rodgers, so half counts in year 3 and half in year 4. Either way, this just screams of it being a good idea to restructure him for the 3rd year and beyond. This does cover the Packers, though, against the possibility of Jones getting a serious injury. I'm a little surprised that Rosenhaus let it be that way.

It screams two-year deal.

bobblehead
03-23-2021, 10:16 AM
It screams two-year deal.

Or, if he is the heart of the offense and the TV money kicks in big time they have an option to pay him if they don't need cap space. But yes, its unlikely. I'm pretty sure it was structured that way to make it look better, but to give him one more bite at FA in a friendlier market. And if they decide for some reason to stick with him he gets the goofy FA money.