PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Packers OL

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 04:15 PM
Before Bakh makes it back, could it be....

Turner
Runyan
Patrick
Lane Taylor
Elton Jenkins

Quite a shift without Bakhtiari and Lindsley. Regardless of how it falls, it's going to be much different than in 2020 to start the season. And Bakh probably wont be 100% for the full season.

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 04:18 PM
Signing Aaron Jones keeps the run game alive and keeps chemistry with all 5 starting skill players being experienced teammates of 12. Should be able to get the ball out quick as the OL finds it's footing. Still hoping for a Bulaga type prospect to fall.

Joemailman
03-14-2021, 05:20 PM
Signing Aaron Jones keeps the run game alive and keeps chemistry with all 5 starting skill players being experienced teammates of 12. Should be able to get the ball out quick as the OL finds it's footing. Still hoping for a Bulaga type prospect to fall.

Turner
Runyan
Jenkins
Patrick
1st Round Draft Pick.

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 07:14 PM
Turner
Runyan
Jenkins
Patrick
1st Round Draft Pick.

Very possible. Stepaniak, when you correct a round for injury is more like a fourth round pick. Those tend to pan out for guards.

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 07:16 PM
Hanson, a 5th round center, those tend to pan out too. We might not need an OT. But if one falls, you can't pass either

RashanGary
03-14-2021, 07:17 PM
Bakh and a new Bulaga would feel pretty alright going forward if it would be lucky enough to bounce that way

Fritz
03-15-2021, 09:35 AM
I think the interior of the line will be okay, with Runyan and Stepaniak and Hanson vying for jobs along with possibly trying Lane Taylor again.

But this team WILL need an offensive tackle to develop. I'd like to see them grab one in the second or third round. Unless they think that developmental kid, Nam or whatever his name is, will pan out. Then they could draft one further down.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 11:10 AM
Very possible. Stepaniak, when you correct a round for injury is more like a fourth round pick. Those tend to pan out for guards.

My hope is that Stepaniak would beat out Patrick. More upside there. But Patrick has proved to be resilient.

bobblehead
03-15-2021, 12:59 PM
Left to Right: Nijman, Runyan, Patrick, Turner, Jenkins

Ok, probably pipe dreaming on Nijman, but his size and athleticism has always intrigued me and this is basically do or die season for him. Most likely it will look like this:

Turner, Runyan, Patrick, Taylor, Jenkins with some rookie potentially messing up all our projections at potentially ANY position.

bobblehead
03-15-2021, 01:00 PM
Jenkins is just too fucking good to waste at center. He honestly is too good to waste at guard.

Joemailman
03-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
Can confirm #Packers have interest, but how much isn't clear. He would be a nice veteran replacement for Corey Linsley, who will soon be signing for a ton with another team. Can play center and guard. Turns 30 this year.

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
Teams that have expressed some early interest in #Vikings free-agent center/guard Brett Jones include Denver, Seattle, Houston and Green Bay. It remains to be seen how much interest the Vikings might have in bringing back Jones.
12:14 PM · Mar 15, 2021

If the Packers do make a signing like this, that would confirm that the Packers do indeed plan to move Jenkins to OT permanently.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2021, 01:38 PM
Assuming Linsley is gone - almost sure but not 100%, I think they just replace him from within, and I don't think they use Jenkins at C - kind of a waste of his talent. Patrick would be my guess, unless Stepaniak or Hanson looks good and ready.

O Line just isn't that important. If they are going out and sign somebody, they might as well keep Linsley with a contract similar to the A. Jones deal for not much more of a cap hit.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2021, 02:38 PM
Jenkins is just too fucking good to waste at center. He honestly is too good to waste at guard.

He's really good, but I'm okay with him at LG. Really love him giving them the flexibility to play all spots though. He can play RT if the board doesn't fall right and they can't find Buluga Whale 2.0.

Spaulding
03-15-2021, 04:30 PM
Initial starting Oline for the season:

LT: Turner
LG: Taylor (resigned for cheap)
C: Patrick
RG: Runyan
RT: Jenkins

Agree with most that Jenkins is too good to waste at guard when there is a temporary need for tackle while Bak recovers. Would love to see Nijiman show some flashes of being a starting NFL tackle in the league this year. Given the Packers tendered him one would hope that he's still an ascending player that just needs more seasoning.

bobblehead
03-15-2021, 11:17 PM
Initial starting Oline for the season:

LT: Turner
LG: Taylor (resigned for cheap)
C: Patrick
RG: Runyan
RT: Jenkins

Agree with most that Jenkins is too good to waste at guard when there is a temporary need for tackle while Bak recovers. Would love to see Nijiman show some flashes of being a starting NFL tackle in the league this year. Given the Packers tendered him one would hope that he's still an ascending player that just needs more seasoning.

No bigger nijman fan than me, but he has had enough camps and time to ascend. If he isn't a starting caliber OT this season Its unlikely he ever will be.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2021, 12:16 AM
Jenkins has excelled pretty consistently at LG. He looked pretty ordinary at Tackle. I'd like to see Turner at LT until Bakhtiari gets back then move Turner to RT. Keep Jenkins at LG and put Lane Taylor at RG if he is healthy enough to handle it. I'd go with Runyan at RT until Bakhtiari is back. I'd throw Center into open competition between Hanson, Stepaniak, and Patrick.

There must be some hope for Nijman if they're keeping him around. Hopefully there is a preseason and he gets a lot of PT to show one way or the other.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2021, 03:05 AM
They took the Fucking Center over DK Metcalf. Time to see if the Fucking Center has any Kung Fu at the “Oher.”

For uncool Pack fans who ain’t dig pop culture, the “Oher” is the blind side tackle position (which in the Fins’ case is Right Tackle; the Packers’, Left Tackle), so named after the Blind Side Michael Oher.

texaspackerbacker
03-16-2021, 04:50 AM
Wasn't he deaf, not blind? hahahaha

bobblehead
03-16-2021, 09:50 AM
They took the Fucking Center over DK Metcalf. Time to see if the Fucking Center has any Kung Fu at the “Oher.”

For uncool Pack fans who ain’t dig pop culture, the “Oher” is the blind side tackle position (which in the Fins’ case is Right Tackle; the Packers’, Left Tackle), so named after the Blind Side Michael Oher.

Now that they locked up Bak, I see no need to waste reps at LT for Jenkins. Whatever position they envision for him long term is where he should start. I would like to see it be RT, but if they are keeping him at LG, then leave him be and work around it.

Joemailman
03-16-2021, 10:05 AM
Jenkins is an All-Pro guy at LG or C. Now, if you're convinced he can be that caliber a player at OT, then you move him there. But if you think he can be a good-but-not-great OT, then I say leave him at LG or C and draft the next great OT. The draft is loaded at OT this year.

Fritz
03-16-2021, 10:34 AM
I read this morning they're going to tender Nijman.

Tender as a verb. Wow.

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2021, 01:29 PM
Jenkins will play where he's needed. It's nice that he and Turner have that flexibility. If they draft an OT that's ready to start, Jenkins can stay on the interior. If the draft falls a different way, they can start him at OT.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-17-2021, 02:51 AM

Anti-Polar Bear
03-17-2021, 03:29 AM
Now that they locked up Bak, I see no need to waste reps at LT for Jenkins. Whatever position they envision for him long term is where he should start. I would like to see it be RT, but if they are keeping him at LG, then leave him be and work around it.

The Iranian Stallion (Bak) likely ain’t gonna be ready for combat til December. If Jenkins is the superior “Oher” on the team with Bak MIA, well, play him at the Oher.

Turner ain’t no superior LT. Lest y’all forget, the fucking Pirates of the Caribbean ate him out alive in that infamous NFC title game.

Fritz
03-18-2021, 10:25 AM
I think they can get by with Turner at LT. He's not ideal, for sure, but he's average there. I remember when they signed him for such big money, many thought he'd fit well as a right tackle in LeFleur's scheme. What with the seeming plethora of inside talent (Stepaniak, Hansen, Runyan, maybe Lane Taylor, Patrick, Jenkins) I wonder if the long-term move is to play Turner at LT this season until Bakh gets Bakh, and in the meantime draft a RT. That would mean, ideally, you could cut Billy Turner after next season and save some cash.

RashanGary
03-18-2021, 07:47 PM
We need some developmental luck inside. If runyan, stepaniak and Hanson somehow pan out, it will ease the pressure at tackle with Turner and Jenkins being able to slide.

An injury early could make for a dumpster fire at tackle.

I do not love the way our OL tentatively looks going into 2021. A first round OT would ease concerns.

Upnorth
03-18-2021, 08:01 PM
We need some developmental luck inside. If runyan, stepaniak and Hanson somehow pan out, it will ease the pressure at tackle with Turner and Jenkins being able to slide.

I do not love the way our OL tentatively looks going into 2021. A first round OT would ease concerns.

If there is one position I trust on our team it is there ability to scout ol talent. If they don't look at ot in the 1st rd then they must think we have a somewhat adequate backup until bakh gets bakh!

bobblehead
03-19-2021, 10:17 AM
Jenkins is an All-Pro guy at LG or C. Now, if you're convinced he can be that caliber a player at OT, then you move him there. But if you think he can be a good-but-not-great OT, then I say leave him at LG or C and draft the next great OT. The draft is loaded at OT this year.

I can only go by his size and tools and say he can be. He had limited snaps and practice at OT last year and looked decent. But I would have to see his punch and his footwork against edge speed to be sure. I see no reason he can't be Bulaga. Would you give up a top 3 guard in the NFL for a top 8-10 RT?

Joemailman
03-19-2021, 10:31 AM
I can only go by his size and tools and say he can be. He had limited snaps and practice at OT last year and looked decent. But I would have to see his punch and his footwork against edge speed to be sure. I see no reason he can't be Bulaga. Would you give up a top 3 guard in the NFL for a top 8-10 RT?

Yes, especially because I'm pretty high on Runyan. I know his sample size is pretty small at this point, but I think his bloodlines reduces the possibility that what he did last year is a fluke. However, if they have a chance at one of the top OT's in the 1st round, I'd still go for it.

Zool
03-19-2021, 10:44 AM
Yes, especially because I'm pretty high on Runyan. I know his sample size is pretty small at this point, but I think his bloodlines reduces the possibility that what he did last year is a fluke. However, if they have a chance at one of the top OT's in the 1st round, I'd still go for it.

Hell yes, keep that OL stocked! Some people hate the idea of drafting OTs high all the time, but also hate the idea of the Bacteria contract. It can't be both ways.

Bretsky
03-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Hell yes, keep that OL stocked! Some people hate the idea of drafting OTs high all the time, but also hate the idea of the Bacteria contract. It can't be both ways.

Really depends on what you consider high draft picks. How many round one guys have we snatched. Bulaga ? Was the one before John Michaels ? I think we've had out share of round 2 guys and some round 4 and mid rounders.

Sice round 3 always SUCKS, and we can draft OL, maybe we should just use that round every year to hit OL

Jaire
03-19-2021, 09:59 PM
It's a deep OT class. There should be several available at BPA rounds 1 to 4. Also a deep draft class overall.

texaspackerbacker
03-19-2021, 10:12 PM
Really depends on what you consider high draft picks. How many round one guys have we snatched. Bulaga ? Was the one before John Michaels ? I think we've had out share of round 2 guys and some round 4 and mid rounders.

Sice round 3 always SUCKS, and we can draft OL, maybe we should just use that round every year to hit OL

You forgot Derek Sherrod the year after Bulaga and also Ross Verba the year after Michael. And before that, there was Aaron Taylor and of course, Tony Mandarich.

We - as well as a lot of other teams - have mostly not had good luck with first round O Linemen.

Zool
03-19-2021, 10:50 PM

Teams historically hit on less than 50% of their overall picks. I would draft OL every year in one of the first 2-3 rounds, but that's just me.

bobblehead
03-20-2021, 09:31 AM
I am with Zool and Joe both. Draft them, keep them, develop them. OL win games. A great OL makes and average QB great and Rodgers GOAT. A great OL opens holes in the run game. Games are won in the trenches.

If the biggest problem the Packers have is that they just have too darn many good OL, then I'm ok with that.

Jaire
03-20-2021, 12:04 PM
I am with Zool and Joe both. Draft them, keep them, develop them. OL win games. A great OL makes and average QB great and Rodgers GOAT. A great OL opens holes in the run game. Games are won in the trenches.

If the biggest problem the Packers have is that they just have too darn many good OL, then I'm ok with that.

This.

We lost the NFCCG on the Oline and the Dline. We do need a CB across from Jaire and another receiver or two for the future. But we lost big time in the trenches, as did KC. There's actually some depth at DL in this draft, just only one 1st rounder imo (Barmore). Also a deep class at edge with a few I like: no such thing as too many CBs, edge, & OL -- and it's deep at all esp CB & OT.

run pMc
03-20-2021, 12:32 PM
This.

We lost the NFCCG on the Oline and the Dline. We do need a CB across from Jaire and another receiver or two for the future. But we lost big time in the trenches, as did KC. There's actually some depth at DL in this draft, just only one 1st rounder imo (Barmore). Also a deep class at edge with a few I like: no such thing as too many CBs, edge, & OL -- and it's deep at all esp CB & OT.

Agree with this. Bucs won because Wagner and Turner had bad games and then KC trotted out its backup tackles. Also, GB had all kinds of trouble getting off the field on 3rd down in the first half.
I'm not sure about the DL draft depth, but GB needs help there and have lost Snacks, Montravious, Billy Winn, and Lancaster might not be back. Basically they have KC, Lowry and Keke. With the whole Parcells theory of "only so many gifted large humans on the planet", I wouldn't be shocked if Gute drafts on the OL or DL early at all. They're a little overdue for it actually.

As for the OL -- I wanted them to look at OT last year, this year they really need to. I agree Jenkins can play almost anywhere on the line, but I think he's best left at LG where he's All-Pro. You can plug Runyan or Stepaniak at RG and Patrick to C, and Turner can probably get you thru 3-4 games until Bahk returns (barring a setback). I'd love it if Njiman showed something and this camp will be make or break for him IMO.

As for Jake Hansen, I heard he had a rough camp but I'm holding out hope there's something closer to a real offseason and he can develop into a player. He played 4 years at C in the Pac12 snapping to Justin Herbert.
They must like Stepaniak -- he was on the roster at the end of season.

bobblehead
03-21-2021, 10:49 AM
The Iranian Stallion (Bak) likely ain’t gonna be ready for combat til December. If Jenkins is the superior “Oher” on the team with Bak MIA, well, play him at the Oher.

Turner ain’t no superior LT. Lest y’all forget, the fucking Pirates of the Caribbean ate him out alive in that infamous NFC title game.

Ohr couldn't cut it at LT and ended up a decent RT. I think Jenkins is superior to Ohr. He would be better at either tackle position.

bobblehead
03-21-2021, 10:51 AM

Jenkins at RT with Bak at LT when he gets back would ease my concerns. Re sign Taylor and we have a lot of decent assets that we could make it a good line. Or draft a good OT at 30 like maybe Leatherwood and then things look real good.

bobblehead
03-21-2021, 10:54 AM
This.

I haven't gotten carried away with the draft, but it seems deep at OL and like you said, 2nd teir deep at DL. Going OL/DL in 1/2 might very well happen. Of course those screaming for WR might lose their shit if this plays out. I think trying to get king back on a 1 year makes a lot of sense. He isn't as bad as people think.

Bretsky
03-21-2021, 08:28 PM
I'm not getting mad at WR anymore; Arod just needs to play at an elite level and maximize their ability. And GB doesn't really place value on ILB so I'm not getting mad there anymore either.

Joemailman
03-23-2021, 02:39 PM
The more I look at it, the more I think the Packers starting RT could be a rookie 1st round pick. Jalen Mayfield, Tevin Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Liam Eichenberg and Samuel Cosmi are all possibilities to be available. Once Bakh comes back a lineup of Bakh/Runyan/Jenkins/Turner/Rookie would be better than last year.

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 03:45 PM
I'm not getting mad at WR anymore; Arod just needs to play at an elite level and maximize their ability. And GB doesn't really place value on ILB so I'm not getting mad there anymore either.

Adams was about the same with Hundley as Rodgers. I'm pretty sure the other guys would be themselves with Hundley too. It's more than the QB.

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 03:48 PM
The more I look at it, the more I think the Packers starting RT could be a rookie 1st round pick. Jalen Mayfield, Tevin Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Liam Eichenberg and Samuel Cosmi are all possibilities to be available. Once Bakh comes back a lineup of Bakh/Runyan/Jenkins/Turner/Rookie would be better than last year.

It's very possible. Turner might be the long term RT too. I have good confidence that Runyan will improve. If Hanson or Stepaniak also pan out, we might be fine without a high draft pick. But I still want OT in the first round. I like having an upper tier line and like the idea of it being upper tier for years to come.

Joemailman
05-25-2021, 09:26 PM
Starting OL in 1st OTA was Jenkins, Runyan, Myers, Patrick, Turner. I thing this is the most likely lineup before Bakhtiari returns. When he returns, Jenkins likely goes to LG.

Upnorth
05-25-2021, 09:54 PM
Any commenrs on Myers?

Joemailman
05-25-2021, 10:45 PM
Any commenrs on Myers?

No pads at OTA's so focus isn't really on linemen.

bobblehead
05-25-2021, 11:15 PM
Starting OL in 1st OTA was Jenkins, Runyan, Myers, Patrick, Turner. I thing this is the most likely lineup before Bakhtiari returns. When he returns, Jenkins likely goes to LG.

Or...if Runyan is looking the part Jenkins could move to RT with Turner returning to super sub mode. Or Turner returns to RG. That is all assuming we don't lose anyone else BEFORE Bakh returns.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2021, 12:18 AM
Or...if Runyan is looking the part Jenkins could move to RT with Turner returning to super sub mode. Or Turner returns to RG. That is all assuming we don't lose anyone else BEFORE Bakh returns.

I don't see Turner moving to super sub. He's better than Patrick and signed for longer. If Runyan is good, he'll move to RG and give Patrick competition. I don't mind Jenkins at RT, but I just can't see him at OT with a )healthy Bakh and healthy Turner (as long as Turner plays as well at RT as he did last year).

And what do you mean Turner returning to super sub mode? He's never played the super sub role for us. He's started every game he's been healthy with the Packers (at RG in 2019 and at RT in 2020).

bobblehead
05-26-2021, 08:19 AM
I don't see Turner moving to super sub. He's better than Patrick and signed for longer. If Runyan is good, he'll move to RG and give Patrick competition. I don't mind Jenkins at RT, but I just can't see him at OT with a )healthy Bakh and healthy Turner (as long as Turner plays as well at RT as he did last year).

And what do you mean Turner returning to super sub mode? He's never played the super sub role for us. He's started every game he's been healthy with the Packers (at RG in 2019 and at RT in 2020).

It may not have been what they planned, but he has played both tackle positions and RG at various times. When Bulaga, Bak, and Jenkins were healthy his default was RG. With no Bulaga it has become RT I guess. But we don't know for sure if he would be playing RT or LG if Bak were healthy. So, while technically correct, Turner and Jenkins have both been somewhat of super subs, filling in as needed when injury occurs.

Joemailman
05-26-2021, 08:30 AM
I feel pretty comfortable with what they can put together on the offensive line despite losing Linsley, and Bakhtiari for a while. I believe the NFCCG might have turned out better if they had started Turner at RT, Jenkins at LT, Runyan at LG and benched a gimpy Rick Wagner.

RashanGary
05-26-2021, 10:50 AM
The OL should be good. Not as good as when healthy last year, but good and young and built to last. The skill positions should improve. I could see the offense about equal to last year but slightly different and hopefully healthy at the end this time.