PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Packers offense

RashanGary
03-18-2021, 07:33 PM
I don't know how you can lose Lindsley and part of the year Bakh and not regress. Bakh should be about 90% by years end so maybe we have a better post season OL in 2021 than 2020.

Runyan looks like a shoe in replacement inside.

The other young guys are competing for center.

OL just loses a step until Bakh is 100%.

I think the skill players get better through chemistry. Lizard, MVS and Tonyan are all growing in lafleurs offense and with 12. They should be sharper and on the same page.

All in all I see a slight regression on offense because of OL. With some OL health luck, the post season offense can make it back to 2020 standard if Bakh gets close to 100% and everyone is healthy.

There is potential for the OL to be a dumpster fire as well. If Turner goes down and we’re starting two below average tackles, it could get ugly quick before Bakh comes back.

Upnorth
03-18-2021, 07:58 PM
If we keep Tonyan (plea$e plea$e plea$e) I think the temporary loss of bakh is some what offset by the power running of thunder thighs. It will take some heat off the pass rush even if he isn't as good at blocking at as williams

Plus there is an outside chance we have one of our last 2 3rd rounders not injured at te...

RashanGary
03-18-2021, 08:02 PM
If we keep Tonyan (plea$e plea$e plea$e) I think the temporary loss of bakh is some what offset by the power running of thunder thighs. It will take some heat off the pass rush even if he isn't as good at blocking at as williams

Plus there is an outside chance we have one of our last 2 3rd rounders not injured at te...

It's gonna take chemistry and improvement across the board if we want to hold down the fort till Bakh is ready.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2021, 08:48 PM
Keeping Aaron Jones sealed the deal that Packer offense will be outstanding again, maybe even a little better with Dillon playing more at RB. Lower quality O Line? No problem - never has been with Aaron Rodgers, and with the current run game as a change of pace, things should be fine. They're not gonna let Tonyan go, no way. We're about even on the cap right now, and we still have the Rodgers extension and the Adams extension in the coming days, which should make the Packers significant players for some quality free agents.

Upnorth
03-18-2021, 10:38 PM
Keeping Aaron Jones sealed the deal that Packer offense will be outstanding again, maybe even a little better with Dillon playing more at RB. Lower quality O Line? No problem - never has been with Aaron Rodgers, and with the current run game as a change of pace, things should be fine. They're not gonna let Tonyan go, no way. We're about even on the cap right now, and we still have the Rodgers extension and the Adams extension in the coming days, which should make the Packers significant players for some quality free agents.

I feel you under value the oline tex. If the qb has less than 2 seconds on average he is going to have a rough day unless it is a quick release offense (we ate not). If the rb has no holes he is having a shitty day unless it is barry Sanders (he retired).

texaspackerbacker
03-19-2021, 12:23 AM
In general, yes, but this is Aaron Rodgers we're talking about. He's excelled over the years even against a huge pass rush. And even without the sacred cow, Bakhtiari, Jones had big games against most teams. So yes, I certainly do value the O Line less than a lot of people - undervalue? We'll see, I guess.

bobblehead
03-19-2021, 10:12 AM
They will take a step back. Why? Because they were the 2nd best offense all time efficiency wise. They really can only go down even with Bak. There will be work to make the OL functional until he gets back. Overall if we can get to the playoffs with 11-5 and win the division, but peak when we get there we have a similar shot as last year.

texaspackerbacker
03-19-2021, 01:50 PM
hahahaha I bet you predicted a record about in that range last year and probably the same or worse the year before.

RashanGary
03-19-2021, 02:36 PM
They will take a step back. Why? Because they were the 2nd best offense all time efficiency wise. They really can only go down even with Bak. There will be work to make the OL functional until he gets back. Overall if we can get to the playoffs with 11-5 and win the division, but peak when we get there we have a similar shot as last year.

I see a small step back in the first half of the season. The OL was so good in the regular season last year. I see a step back in regular season offense but a step up from the defense with so many growth players and so few aging players. Special team's cant be worse. So all on all, 11-5 sounds about right with a chance to really peak in the post season with OL continuity being the big wild card. It should be a good season for Packer fans again

Sparkey
03-19-2021, 05:57 PM
A.Jones was outstanding running inside, but a lot of the credit for that should go to Linsley. They are going to really miss him. Hopefully someone steps up, but even then, th chemistry will take time to develop.

bobblehead
03-20-2021, 09:41 AM
hahahaha I bet you predicted a record about in that range last year and probably the same or worse the year before.

Correct. Because predicting a 13 win season means you aren't being realistic. I'm not saying its impossible, but our road schedule was a nightmare. Remember, we played the SF JV team in SF this last season.

Go take a look at the win total futures action in the LV books. There are no "12 1/2" lines. There is a reason for that. The fact that you think predicting 11 wins is an insult instead of a supreme complement speaks volumes about the world you perceive. You live on fantasy Island Tex, I have known that for a decade now. If you want to put $100 on "11 1/2" over win totals for the Packers this season I'm game. I might lose, but you would be the fool making the bet regardless.

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2021, 11:04 AM
11 1/2 meaning you win if they win 11 or less, I win if they win 12 or more? I'd take that bet anytime. Last season like basically every season, I looked at the schedule, and I didn't see any games I expected the Packers to lose. Inevitably, they slipped up several times - shit happens. However, betting on shit to happen/predicting negativity ain't "realistic". It's running scared - being afraid to be labeled a homer or something, and that's a pretty pathetic way to be.

run pMc
03-20-2021, 12:37 PM
I'd be happy if GB won 11 games. That's not an insult, that likely wins the division a lands a #2 or #3 playoff seeding (out of 7). That's a decent starting spot for a playoff run.

I would NOT be shocked if there was a dip in the offense, if you assume regression to mean will happen. Something would have to happen (injuries or terrible OL play) for it to be drastically worse -- I still think they have the makings of a very good offense and should be in/near Top 5.

bobblehead
03-21-2021, 10:47 AM
11 1/2 meaning you win if they win 11 or less, I win if they win 12 or more? I'd take that bet anytime. Last season like basically every season, I looked at the schedule, and I didn't see any games I expected the Packers to lose. Inevitably, they slipped up several times - shit happens. However, betting on shit to happen/predicting negativity ain't "realistic". It's running scared - being afraid to be labeled a homer or something, and that's a pretty pathetic way to be.

Yes. And you would be the sucker in that bet...even if you win. The idiot who buys a stock cuz "its the future" but its so over valued its silly isn't smart when the stock goes up....he is lucky. And he would be wise to get out real quick in such an event.

The idiot that bets any NFL team to win 12 games or more before a snap is played isn't smart...even if he proves to be right. By my count I have been on his site for 13 years. I don't ever recall you projecting LESS than 12 wins for the pack. You would have been right 4 times.

I am a fan as well. I hope we win 13 again, but I don't live on the same planet as you and Brandon, so I don't think the team is either a joke who won't win 8 games (brandon) or an iron clad lock to win 12 (you). As usual the truth is somewhere in between, and like with Brandon, my track record against your blind optimism is pretty good. That doesn't make me "running scared" or "predicting negativity" it just has me being realistic in my expectations.

texaspackerbacker
03-21-2021, 12:55 PM
The only reason not to bet a team wins 12 or more - if they are good enough to win 12 or more - is injuries. Yeah, if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt or a team has a streak of injuries like the Niners had, then extreme shit can happen. However, the Packers with Aaron Rodgers and the ok not great overall current supporting cast they have should literally win every game. Sure, they'll probably screw up and lose several, but I'd certainly bet it isn't more than 3 or 4.

Have they even had these pick-up threads for 13 years or anything near it? I don't think so. I don't recall any year, though, going back to pre-Favre years that I would have predicted a Packer team with more than 4 losses. You have people whining about so few Super Bowls; I won't say i don't give a damn about Super Bowls, but I much prefer having a team that is a consistent winner just about every year for going on thirty years now than being one of those feast or famine teams that wins the SB but falls through the floor as often as not.

bobblehead
03-23-2021, 10:40 AM
The only reason not to bet a team wins 12 or more - if they are good enough to win 12 or more - is injuries. Yeah, if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt or a team has a streak of injuries like the Niners had, then extreme shit can happen. However, the Packers with Aaron Rodgers and the ok not great overall current supporting cast they have should literally win every game. Sure, they'll probably screw up and lose several, but I'd certainly bet it isn't more than 3 or 4.

Have they even had these pick-up threads for 13 years or anything near it? I don't think so. I don't recall any year, though, going back to pre-Favre years that I would have predicted a Packer team with more than 4 losses. You have people whining about so few Super Bowls; I won't say i don't give a damn about Super Bowls, but I much prefer having a team that is a consistent winner just about every year for going on thirty years now than being one of those feast or famine teams that wins the SB but falls through the floor as often as not.

I rest my case. You would hold an astounding 9-19. Awesome track record. Bravo. Hand clappy emoji. All that good stuff that I can say or show to mock you.

Tex, I'm a homer. Hoping for 19 wins next year unless they play 17 regular season then lets just round it to an andrew Jackson 20 wins. But you remind me of my friends wife in some ways. She never quite understands that 32 other teams and fan bases are trying to win too. If we win 11 games and peak into the playoffs I'll take my chances.

The one thing we agree on, slightly for different reasons though is avoiding the boom or bust thing. Of the 10 teams that try it every year, one wins about every other year. So the track record is about 1 in 20 (hmmm...how many Owls we have in last 22 years?) and its ensued by season of unwatchable football. We are doing it right now, but Gutes has a cutoff in mind and hopefully only 1 crappy season will ensue. The saints won't be a contender for the next 5 years.

Every year I hear guys like Brandon tell me SF or KC or pick your team is unbeatable because they are going for it. It rarely pans out. Barring Rogers injury we are a near lock to win 10 games this year. Like each of the last 2 seasons we have as good a chance as anyone to reach the Owl. I'll take that year in and year out.

Upnorth
03-23-2021, 11:53 AM
If we don't get bakh back early I think a major injury to jenkins would gaurentee a below 10 win gane as well if we have the same oline we do now.
Losing bakh and Lindsey is bad enough that i am hoping for 11 wins at this point.

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 12:06 PM
If we don't get bakh back early I think a major injury to jenkins would gaurentee a below 10 win gane as well if we have the same oline we do now.
Losing bakh and Lindsey is bad enough that i am hoping for 11 wins at this point.

Yep.

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 12:08 PM
Packers only hope on OL is development, something they've been elite at for decades. Runyan might be a staple and some of the other young guys have a chance. We’ll see. Rodgers bringing back his entire arsenal in the 3rd year offense bodes well for being able to quickly get the ball out and make due while Bakh mends .

texaspackerbacker
03-23-2021, 01:50 PM
Bobblehead, a homer isn't merely somebody who wants the team to win; It's somebody who expects the team to win and ain't afraid to say it.

Upnorth, the team arguably was just as good or damn near it without Bakhtiari as with him. A Jenkins injury would hurt, but we'd survive that very well too.

I see zero reason why the offense shouldn't be at least as good as last year. Pair that with a better defense - it better be with the new DC, and no way the team wins less than last season - barring major injuries to Rodgers or Jones or Adams.

Jaire
03-25-2021, 08:52 PM
Setting injury and Bakh's late return aside, they need to draft OT. That's where they lost against TB on offense. The pass pro against TB in two games was worse than the rest of the teams combined almost. Post season is all that matters.

It's a deeper WR class but not as good at top imo. They'll add 1 or 2. It will be interesting who they add.

Joemailman
03-25-2021, 10:12 PM
Setting injury and Bakh's late return aside, they need to draft OT. That's where they lost against TB on offense. The pass pro against TB in two games was worse than the rest of the teams combined almost. Post season is all that matters.

It's a deeper WR class but not as good at top imo. They'll add 1 or 2. It will be interesting who they add.

I hope Gutey holds onto his 3rd and 4th round picks because I think there's value at WR and DL in those rounds. There should be value in 1st round at OT.

Upnorth
03-26-2021, 08:06 AM
Bobblehead, a homer isn't merely somebody who wants the team to win; It's somebody who expects the team to win and ain't afraid to say it.

Upnorth, the team arguably was just as good or damn near it without Bakhtiari as with him. A Jenkins injury would hurt, but we'd survive that very well too.

I see zero reason why the offense shouldn't be at least as good as last year. Pair that with a better defense - it better be with the new DC, and no way the team wins less than last season - barring major injuries to Rodgers or Jones or Adams.

Do you watch the line during the game? I try to watch it during live action then change focus to skill position on replays. To me the left edge pressure changed a fair amount immediately and once we faced a healthy dl pass rush (no Donald against rams remember) it got home. Now Lindsey is gone so our middle won't be as stout. I believe he gave up 4 pressures last year. If dillion doesn't get more power carries to back the d off and one of the 2 3rd round tes can't become stout blockers rodgers will get a lot more pressure. And he does not respond to pressure as well as he used to. And I'm kinda worried our run game will greatly suffer with out bakh and Lindsey.
Man now im getting depressed.

I think we are weaker over all on d (real genius. Observation there huh) but we need to address the ol more than any other position. Rodgers is the key so we need to protect him and give him the time he needs.

Upnorth
03-26-2021, 08:19 AM
I really hope I am wrong about jones being a product of our line and rodgers.
I felt optimistic last year heading into draft. Not as much this year. We have a great great team but I feel like we have such huge holes now with the loss on the o line, Clark regressing on the d and king looking like hot garbage.
Barnes and Martin are a big upgrade though so maybe I should focus there.

Fritz
03-26-2021, 10:08 AM
I felt optimistic last year heading into draft. Not as much this year. We have a great great team but I feel like we have such huge holes now with the loss on the o line, Clark regressing on the d and king looking like hot garbage.

Great nickname! "Hot Garbage" King.

bobblehead
03-26-2021, 10:54 AM

Its not binary. Jones is very good and the line was very good. Combined they produced an elite run game.

Every team has holes and every team is one injury away from major holes. Good coaches overcome that. Depth helps with that. We will never have a perfect roster, but the roster they have right now is top notch overall. They should absolutely be right there in the conversation again next year.

Upnorth
03-26-2021, 11:40 AM
I understand we are a great team but 11 wins will be tough this year. I assumed 11 last year. Different optics. I expected d regression and o improvememt in 2020. We got extremes on both. I expect o regression this year but doubt d improvement mostly due to coaching.

sharpe1027
03-26-2021, 12:12 PM
We could really use a lucky draft pick that results in a surprise contributor. An edge player or skill position, for example. Not expected, but that's the type of break that could make the difference.

RashanGary
03-26-2021, 12:39 PM
We could really use a lucky draft pick that results in a surprise contributor. An edge player or skill position, for example. Not expected, but that's the type of break that could make the difference.

Some luck would be great. Maybe we luck out and get a rotational DL or starting RT. A legit player would be great out the gate.

texaspackerbacker
03-26-2021, 01:11 PM
Do you watch the line during the game? I try to watch it during live action then change focus to skill position on replays. To me the left edge pressure changed a fair amount immediately and once we faced a healthy dl pass rush (no Donald against rams remember) it got home. Now Lindsey is gone so our middle won't be as stout. I believe he gave up 4 pressures last year. If dillion doesn't get more power carries to back the d off and one of the 2 3rd round tes can't become stout blockers rodgers will get a lot more pressure. And he does not respond to pressure as well as he used to. And I'm kinda worried our run game will greatly suffer with out bakh and Lindsey.
Man now im getting depressed.

I think we are weaker over all on d (real genius. Observation there huh) but we need to address the ol more than any other position. Rodgers is the key so we need to protect him and give him the time he needs.

One thing that annoyed me about Bakhtiari that he seemed to have a "it's not my job attitude" - many times, I would see him blocking somebody and another pass rusher would scoot right past him on the outside free and fast about a foot away. I don't know, maybe that's the way the O Line was coached, but it happened way too often IMO. Also, the run game worked inside a helluva lot better than it did outside. That's a negative about Bakhtiari, of course, and a positive about Linsley. Myself, though, I expect there to be just as many holes for Jones inside without Linsley as there was with him, and I expect the pass rush to be blocked about as good too.

RashanGary
03-26-2021, 02:38 PM
Jenkins/Patrick/Runyan are ok inside
Stepaniak at guard and Hansen are prospects in the wings

Turner is ok at RT

Bakh is out for probably half the season. We don’t have two starting tackles for half the season and no insurance policy. With corner kind of filled, OT is the most glaring weakness on the team. Gute tends to draft for upside over polish. We’ll see what happens. A bunch of OTs are projected at the end of round 1. OT is our most likely first round draft pick.

texaspackerbacker
03-26-2021, 10:57 PM
You got it right, RG. There's no reason to expect the offense to regress - barring key injuries, and by that I mean Rodgers and Jones. We did not fade or regress last year when Bakhtiari went down, and we were still solid even when Davante Adams was out. The only real minus this year is Linsley, and the guys you mentioned should be improved enough with health and development to keep things on the same level, and we should be actually better at RB with Dillon getting more PT and playing with Jones. And the D should be improved too with development of young players and what we get in the draft.

Yet people who predicted worse records last year are right there again expecting the team to regress hahahahaha.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-27-2021, 02:48 AM
Gute tends to draft for upside over polish.

I ain’t sure where you simple-minded, outdoorsy, hill folks get your info, but us sophisticated city rats, we have this information machine called the Internet. According to the Internet, no Polish player has been drafted in the NFL since Sebastian Janikowski in 2000. Ain’t no fucking Pole has donned the Green and Musta Yella since Zeke Bratkowski did it for the infamous Dan Devine.

sharpe1027
03-27-2021, 05:36 AM
Funchess will have career high yards due to having Rodgers throwing him open. 1,000 yard receiver added to the team from last year.

Sparkey
03-27-2021, 07:04 AM
Yosuah Nijman has a huge opportunity. I would hope, by now, he is ready to take advantage. They still need to draft an OT at some point.

gbgary
03-27-2021, 01:03 PM
2021 Packers offense
looks like it's going to be the same (which is good) but with a weaker line (which is bad). 69 won't be bahk for at least a third of the season and even then he'll probably be wearing a brace (no one's really 100%, mental/strength wise until 18 months). not sure if the weaker line will force Rodgers to adhere to the MLF O more (quick throws on time) or revert to what he wants to do and that's hold the run the scramble drill (like in the NFCCG). running back depth has taken a hit with the lose of Williams.

bobblehead
03-28-2021, 10:02 AM
One thing that annoyed me about Bakhtiari that he seemed to have a "it's not my job attitude" - many times, I would see him blocking somebody and another pass rusher would scoot right past him on the outside free and fast about a foot away. I don't know, maybe that's the way the O Line was coached, but it happened way too often IMO. Also, the run game worked inside a helluva lot better than it did outside. That's a negative about Bakhtiari, of course, and a positive about Linsley. Myself, though, I expect there to be just as many holes for Jones inside without Linsley as there was with him, and I expect the pass rush to be blocked about as good too.

There is no way possible for you to diagnose whose job it is to pick up a blitzer without knowing scheme. If I have an overhead view I can make a good guess, but on TV can't know. Generally a guy engaged with a player isn't asked to disengage to stop a blitz. Its on the RB or even the QB to make a hot read about 90% of the time, so probably your gripe is with one of the 2 players you worship and give all the credit to.

bobblehead
03-28-2021, 10:03 AM
Yosuah Nijman has a huge opportunity. I would hope, by now, he is ready to take advantage. They still need to draft an OT at some point.

He will excel or he will be cut. No such thing as a 4 year project.

Upnorth
03-28-2021, 11:40 AM
There is no way possible for you to diagnose whose job it is to pick up a blitzer without knowing scheme. If I have an overhead view I can make a good guess, but on TV can't know. Generally a guy engaged with a player isn't asked to disengage to stop a blitz. Its on the RB or even the QB to make a hot read about 90% of the time, so probably your gripe is with one of the 2 players you worship and give all the credit to.

I get more and more tempted to pay for all22. I feel like you are right but without that angle who can really tell on a snap by snap basis.

bobblehead
03-29-2021, 10:14 AM
I get more and more tempted to pay for all22. I feel like you are right but without that angle who can really tell on a snap by snap basis.

There had been times I bitched at a RB for missing a blitz. Then would do the same thing again. I'd be livid. Then I would read the article with the OC who would say "yea, it was an unaccounted for body. Generic QB1 has to make that read. Generic WR1 was left wide open and he just missed him."