PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign Kevin King - 1 year, 6M

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 12:01 PM
Per twitter

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2021, 12:08 PM
Hoping it’s “up to” $6m, with incentives for games played.

George Cumby
03-23-2021, 01:06 PM
:drma:

red
03-23-2021, 01:16 PM
Un fucking real

Just terrible

Shouldn't have brought him back in the first place, and who the hell thinks he's worth 6 million?

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 01:29 PM
We have a veteran group. Maybe the new coach can reach him. He sure doesn't seem to play good situational football tho. When its 3rd and three he gives up 5. When it's a prayer of a chance at the half, let's a nigga get behind him. Just no adjustments what so ever to the situation.

texaspackerbacker
03-23-2021, 01:40 PM
hahahaha talk about settling.

Adore Jackson got $39 million for 3 years, and he's good, not great. The market price seems to be way up there. Fuller and Taylor are getting into their 30s. King isn't horrible. Hopefully he can do something positive with the new D Coordinator. He ought to be pretty damn motivated on a 1 year deal.

Joemailman
03-23-2021, 02:13 PM
It might work out. Wasn't that long ago a lot of people were okay with the Packers letting Casey Hayward go because he hadn't been the same since his injuries. King was actually quite good in 2019 and he's still only 25.

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 02:37 PM
It might work out. Wasn't that long ago a lot of people were okay with the Packers letting Casey Hayward go because he hadn't been the same since his injuries. King was actually quite good in 2019 and he's still only 25.

Yeah. I've sort of given up on him because he doesn't play good situational ball. He flashes but then lets the one thing happen that you should prevent. And he does that a lot. He's just a barely servicable player who's injured a lot. Maybe the new coach will reach him. Maybe not.

King Friday
03-23-2021, 02:49 PM
$6m isn't a huge price for him...but it is clear that we aren't getting any help through free agency at this point. If we are resigning King then Gute is in love with the roster as is.

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 03:51 PM
$6m isn't a huge price for him...but it is clear that we aren't getting any help through free agency at this point. If we are resigning King then Gute is in love with the roster as is.

He might see improvement coming because we didn't lose much and should get better through development. Maybe he sees that development as the difference between NFCC game and SB win.

call_me_ishmael
03-23-2021, 04:00 PM
Kevin Cocktease.

RashanGary
03-23-2021, 04:11 PM
Kevin Cocktease.

:lol:

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2021, 05:31 PM
He was solid in 2019, but he’s injured a lot and doesn’t play well when he’s not healthy. We still need a CB in the draft, but this gives us a little more flexibility. I’d rather have Fuller for a little more. I wonder if they were looking at Jackson or Butler, but their price tag was too high.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2021, 05:36 PM
Steven Nelson was realized moments later. Wonder what he’ll go for.

smuggler
03-23-2021, 06:25 PM
I had a feeling this might happen. I'm glad it's only 1/6.

Bretsky
03-23-2021, 10:04 PM
Not a terrible signing, although every time I read the name it reminds me of passing on TJ Playmaker

He's at least decent when healthy. Seems FA's don't wanna come here or Gooter just doesn't see the needs

Isn't Malcolm Butler still out there ? Casey Hayward ? Don't you take both over Kevin King ?

bobblehead
03-24-2021, 12:04 AM
I had been saying $4 million. I wonder if we will find out is $4 million with chances to make it $6m

Upnorth
03-24-2021, 08:42 AM
I was kinda a little ok with this. But why not put that money to Sherman? He ain't getting a big contract so spend a couple mill more and get a helper not a hinderence.

Zool
03-24-2021, 08:45 AM
I was kinda a little ok with this. But why not put that money to Sherman? He ain't getting a big contract so spend a couple mill more and get a helper not a hinderence.

You're faster than Sherman is now. Why bother putting millions into an old guy when you've spent 4 years developing a guy who should be in his physical prime? He was serviceable in 2019, and if he can get his head right, he'll be OKAY in 2021.

Joemailman
03-24-2021, 09:47 AM
The key with King will always be his health. The lack of speed he showed on that fumble return against Carolina suggests he was still hampered by the quad injury that had kept him out of 5 games. And he was listed as questionable for the NFCCG with a back problem which is why the Packers had signed Tramon Williams. He's a solid #2 when healthy. Playing opposite Alexander, he'll give up some plays because he gets picked on so much. But if he's right physically, he has a chance to make plays as he did in 2019 with 5 INT's and 15 PD's.

bobblehead
03-24-2021, 10:00 AM
The key with King will always be his health. The lack of speed he showed on that fumble return against Carolina suggests he was still hampered by the quad injury that had kept him out of 5 games. And he was listed as questionable for the NFCCG with a back problem which is why the Packers had signed Tramon Williams. He's a solid #2 when healthy. Playing opposite Alexander, he'll give up some plays because he gets picked on so much. But if he's right physically, he has a chance to make plays as he did in 2019 with 5 INT's and 15 PD's.

People forget that prior to this season when he was on the field with Alexander, QBs targeted Alexander quite a bit. Only as Alexander became truly elite did they shift towards king.

King Friday
03-24-2021, 10:21 AM
Not a terrible signing, although every time I read the name it reminds me of passing on TJ Playmaker

He's at least decent when healthy. Seems FA's don't wanna come here or Gooter just doesn't see the needs

Isn't Malcolm Butler still out there ? Casey Hayward ? Don't you take both over Kevin King ?

I think the difference comes down to price. All else equal, if take the other guys...but not all else is equal. King is going to be much cheaper than those guys on a one year deal. King now has a TON of incentive to improve. In general, getting a good athlete on a one year "prove it" deal tends to pay off. Either he becomes a starting caliber CB, or you walk away next year with a probable 2021 draft pick in the wings.

Upnorth
03-24-2021, 11:15 AM
Analytics says he is below average at best. And what does he have left after all the lower body injuries

Fritz
03-24-2021, 11:34 AM
Analytics says he is below average at best. And what does he have left after all the lower body injuries

I'm guessing it's a team-friendly deal with lots of that six mill in incentives.

It's kind of a "meh" signing. It gives them someone to use while they develop whatever bright shiny new toy they draft (now watch Gute not draft a single corner...), but he's a JAG at this point. He's lost whatever athleticism he's had, as Upnorth notes. But it's a cheaper solution than the Adore-me Jackson contract or the Fuller contract. And yes, your mom is now faster than Richard Sherman. And Casey Heyward.

So if it's not for the full six mill guaranteed, it's a minor move that we hope will pay off by having King end up relatively healthy and playing in the dime package as he mentors the new draft pick who ends up ahead of him by the end of training camp...

The Renegade
03-25-2021, 07:21 PM
With the cap restrictions, I kinda feel like this is going to be a nickel and dime off season. May just have take what you can get and be optimistic that the coaching staff can make the best of the ingredients.

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2021, 10:50 PM
I've been negative about King for quite a while, but we have a new DC coming in who will likely use a lot more zone pass D. I have a hunch King won't stick out as so bad in zone. Maybe ditto that for Jackson. It may be pure zone, but more often, I expect to see Jaire in man coverage and zone everywhere else.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-26-2021, 07:27 AM
I've been negative about King for quite a while, but we have a new DC coming in who will likely use a lot more zone pass D. I have a hunch King won't stick out as so bad in zone. Maybe ditto that for Jackson. It may be pure zone, but more often, I expect to see Jaire in man coverage and zone everywhere else.

I was so so with King BEFORE the NFC title game, but now will always think he sucks until he proves otherwise.

Upnorth
03-26-2021, 07:47 AM
With the cap restrictions, I kinda feel like this is going to be a nickel and dime off season. May just have take what you can get and be optimistic that the coaching staff can make the best of the ingredients.

I agree with your general point but a good chef knows which ingredients are rotten. Welcome to the chaos renegade.

Tex I think king is worse at zone than man from what i have read. I can't tell how they are covering with out an all22 angle so I need someone else's opinion as to which he is better at. To me he is a gambler and in zone coverage that is a big no no a lot of the time.

Sparkey
03-26-2021, 08:24 AM
Kevin King (Packers) five years, final four void automatically if on roster 23rd day preceeding 1st day 2022 lg yr, $3.75M (gtd), $3.75M signing bonus, $1M salary, $200K per-game active roster bonus, $1M playtime, playoffs incentive

https://www.google.com/amp/s/packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/25/contract-details-for-packers-cb-kevin-king/amp/

According to Ken Ingalls, the structuring of the deal creates a cap hit of $1,887,500 for King in 2021. It could rise slightly if the Packers included a workout bonus in the deal, as the team often does with veteran players

Upnorth
03-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Kevin King (Packers) five years, final four void automatically if on roster 23rd day preceeding 1st day 2022 lg yr, $3.75M (gtd), $3.75M signing bonus, $1M salary, $200K per-game active roster bonus, $1M playtime, playoffs incentive

https://www.google.com/amp/s/packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/25/contract-details-for-packers-cb-kevin-king/amp/

According to Ken Ingalls, the structuring of the deal creates a cap hit of $1,887,500 for King in 2021. It could rise slightly if the Packers included a workout bonus in the deal, as the team often does with veteran players

Thanks for sharing that sparky. I like the signing now if he is 3rd CB.

Fritz
03-26-2021, 10:04 AM
Thanks for sharing that sparky. I like the signing now if he is 4th CB.

FIFY. Draft two corners, one for outside and one for inside. Or move Savage to the slot if Josh Jackson can play safety.

Big IF there, I know. Josh Jackson should get a tattoo with the word "Bust" on him forearm...

Upnorth
03-26-2021, 11:36 AM
FIFY. Draft two corners, one for outside and one for inside. Or move Savage to the slot if Josh Jackson can play safety.

Big IF there, I know. Josh Jackson should get a tattoo with the word "Bust" on him forearm...

Who is Josh Jackson? Don't think I have seen him play. New guy?? Or oft I juried draft pick we all rested our hopes on the last 3 long years...

bobblehead
03-27-2021, 10:02 AM
I just had a thought to compare King to another ex packer I didn't want to let get away just yet. A guy who was too injured to be effective in his time with us, but flashed at times, then went on to be really good after we let him walk instead of keeping him to play guard.

JC Tretter.

A healthy King is a solid NFL corner. He isn't Alexander, but he isn't Jerry Holmes either.

Bretsky
03-27-2021, 10:57 AM
Casey Heyward; bring him home.

run pMc
03-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Casey Heyward; bring him home.

No.

Too old, likely too expensive, and if he's not a fit in Staley's D he wouldn't be a fit for Barry's (assuming they will run a similar scheme).

If you were to say they signed the wrong King (Desmond vs. Kevin) you might have a better case. At least Desmond King could return kicks.