PDA

View Full Version : 1 new Trade Rumor Walker to Denver with surprise Twist

gureski
04-17-2006, 09:12 AM
I haven't seen this one until today. Posted just a few minutes ago on draftsharks.... (www.draftsharks.com)

"Walker Will Be Traded

Three teams are reportedly interested in trading for Packers WR Javon Walker: Denver, Philadelphia and San Francisco. Sources say the Broncos have already made an offer involving Tatum Bell but Green Bay is expected to wait and field more offers on draft day. Walker has not even shown up at the team facility yet. He will definitely be playing for someone else in 2006. Javon Walker's stepfather, Charles Goldsmith, has been doing most of the blabbing lately. "They could give him a $15 million signing bonus and he would decline it," Goldsmith said. "I think everybody is thinking it's going to blow over and Javon's going to show up. He's not showing up. I mean, he is absolutely not showing up. Period. At all."

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Interesting twist. I stand by my assessment that Goldsmith is a complete idiot.

imscott72
04-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Yeah, rumors, rumors, rumors. When something happens then I'll get excited, until then just like the Favre story, everyone has their own theories. I don't like the Tatum Bell idea either. Too injury prone and another injury prone RB is not what we need right now.

gureski
04-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Bell has home run talent though. It's intriguing. He's never gotten a chance to be the main guy in Denver but when he's played....he's produced. I think I may want to have Bell as a throw in over Lelie. Lelie fills a bigger need but Bell has more upside and proven potential.

Where there's smoke...there is normally fire. There's alot of smoke coming out of Denver lately and it's not only directed at Walker...it's also directed at the 5th overall pick where they supposedly want to pick the TE Davis.

I wonder if they gave us both 1st rounders and a 2nd or 3d AND T.Bell for Walker and the 5th pick. I wonder if that would equal out.

imscott72
04-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Bell has home run talent though. It's intriguing. He's never gotten a chance to be the main guy in Denver but when he's played....he's produced. I think I may want to have Bell as a throw in over Lelie. Lelie fills a bigger need but Bell has more upside and proven potential.

Where there's smoke...there is normally fire. There's alot of smoke coming out of Denver lately and it's not only directed at Walker...it's also directed at the 5th overall pick where they supposedly want to pick the TE Davis.

I wonder if they gave us both 1st rounders and a 2nd or 3d AND T.Bell for Walker and the 5th pick. I wonder if that would equal out.

I'd be shocked if they gave us both 1sts. I'd say a 1st, 3rd (maybe in 2007), and Lelie/Bell might be a little more doable. I agree Bell has more potential than Lelie, but again if we're rebuilding fine, but if we're tryin to get Brett to come back and make a run, then we need to fill these holes. Walker leaving leaves us with nothin except Driver and Gardner.

billy_oliver880
04-17-2006, 09:31 AM

I'd be shocked if they gave us both 1sts. I'd say a 1st, 3rd (maybe in 2007), and Lelie/Bell might be a little more doable. I agree Bell has more potential than Lelie, but again if we're rebuilding fine, but if we're tryin to get Brett to come back and make a run, then we need to fill these holes. Walker leaving leaves us with nothin except Driver and Gardner.

I don't believe Walker is worth that much.

Charles Woodson
04-17-2006, 09:34 AM

I like this trade cause it fills our needs. the nice thing about this draft, is it is deep with lb. at least in the first 2 rounds. This way it could work like this. with the 15 pick we could get a reciver. someone like chad jackson. and with the later pick 22? we could get ethire a LB like carpenter. or a CB like ethier tye hill or cromartie. Say we take the CB, we could take a LB in the Secound round. and still have another secound to get a G or C

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Let the bidding wars begin!

motife
04-17-2006, 10:37 AM
They need a Wide Receiver far more than they need another RB.

With Ahman Green, Samkon Gado, and Najeh Davenport they're well stocked.

Donald Driver, Rod Gardner and Robert Ferguson is not a lot of qualty depth.

CyclonePackFan
04-17-2006, 10:40 AM

I've been calling this trade for about a month now, and I can't say I'd be opposed to it. According to the infamous "Value Chart"

#5: 1700 pts
#15 & 22: 1050 pts. + 780 pts. = 1830 pts.

I'd say Walker is probably worth about Lelie and a late-rounder, 4th at highest.

Now, the value chart isn't the Gospel, lots of teams are willing to violate it if the right guy comes around. I think if the Broncos really want Davis (you know he won't get past the 49ers) or if the QB they want of the big 3 is still around they'll spring the trade. At 15 we'd be in good position to get the pick of the non-AJ Hawk litter, perhaps Sims (although I hate taking FSU players), or perhaps we go corner and land Jimmy Williams should he fall that far. At 22 options are wide open, I would say Hali if not for his combine workout, there still will be lots out there, maybe DeMeco Ryans, DeAnglelo Williams, Kiwanuka, or somewhere on the OL.

imscott72
04-17-2006, 10:40 AM

I like this trade cause it fills our needs. the nice thing about this draft, is it is deep with lb. at least in the first 2 rounds. This way it could work like this. with the 15 pick we could get a reciver. someone like chad jackson. and with the later pick 22? we could get ethire a LB like carpenter. or a CB like ethier tye hill or cromartie. Say we take the CB, we could take a LB in the Secound round. and still have another secound to get a G or C

Two 1sts, and a 2nd or 3rd plus Bell is grossly overpaying for Walker. Never happen. We'd be lucky to get half that.

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 10:41 AM
u guys realize the proposal was for Walker PLUS the #5 pick?

it's just silly talk anyway, of course.

Charles Woodson
04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
u guys realize the proposal was for Walker PLUS the #5 pick?

it's just silly talk anyway, of course.

Yea im fine with this. cause i mean we end up benifiting alot more

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I wasn't offering an opinion on the deal, it's just that a couple people seemed to have missed the #5 part.

I'm not why we have to discuss this in terms of massive, complicated deals. How about a #2 for Walker? That's about what it is gonna come down to, unfortunately.

Charles Woodson
04-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I wasn't offering an opinion on the deal, it's just that a couple people seemed to have missed the #5 part.

I'm not why we have to discuss this in terms of massive, complicated deals. How about a #2 for Walker? That's about what it is gonna come down to, unfortunately.

Come on Harlan. Be optimistic every once and a while

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 11:05 AM
well, you have to look at it from the other teams perspective, too. They know that Walker isn't likely to return to G.B. He is coming off injuries. Teams know that his price may come down next fall.

I don't think the Packers will get more than a #2 for JW.

Charles Woodson
04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
well, you have to look at it from the other teams perspective, too. They know that Walker isn't likely to return to G.B. He is coming off injuries. Teams know that his price may come down next fall.

I don't think the Packers will get more than a #2 for JW.

Wait like when he is a FA or later in the seson. cause look. if he does become an FA, we can slap the Franchise tag on him. i could see Denver giving there later first because look. if they want to win. they have to find another reciver. idk why seattle wants him. but if they do, great. as Ziggy said Let the bidding begin!

RashanGary
04-17-2006, 12:35 PM
I agree. I can't see Walker getting more value than a 2. He's a great weapon but is coming of a major injury. I'd be very happy with a high second.

Pack0514
04-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Although I think the whole situation is crap, I would be happy with a low 2nd rounder.

gureski
04-17-2006, 01:13 PM
The exciting part of this involves the Broncos reported (per the Denver Post) interest in TE Davis. In order to get him, the Broncos need to go up to around the 5-6th overall pick. It's because of the Broncos reported interest in Davis that I'm feeling optimistic about a package deal involving both Walker and the 5th pick. If you're Denver, you realize Walker's street value is lower then it could be but the fact that you're trying to package in that #5 overall pick would create a situation where you'd have to bid higher to close the deal then if you were just sitting on the Walker aspect of the deal. As part of a package deal, Walker's value goes up a notch because the team looking to acquire him can't afford to sit around and wait the Packers out. They'd need to make the deal before the draft. So, it's the 5th pick that I think makes this interesting. That pick alone could pull the value of Walker up a notch in a trade with Denver. The timeline forces Broncos to compromise on Walker's value in order to make the entire deal they're looking to make. They can't sit on it or they lose the #5 overall pick. That's what I find so optimistic in this scenerio.

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 02:45 PM
The value of Walker and the #5 pick are seperate and unrelated.

gureski
04-17-2006, 02:56 PM
The value of Walker and the #5 pick are seperate and unrelated.

The value of Walker and the #5 pick ARE related IF Denver is trying to acquire both at the same time. If you're dealing for both then they're related.

In essance, Walker's value is currently downgraded due to the injury and his attitude towards the Packers. His value is debatable and an acquiring team may wish to wait things out and hope that they can get him cheap. IF the team that is interested in Walker is also eyeing the #5 overall pick as part of the deal....then they have less room to 'wait it out' and attempt to get Walker cheap. They'll be forced to make a more formidable offer then they would if they didn't care about the 5th overall pick. It accellerates the negotiations because Denver, if they want the 5th overall pick as part of the deal, has to make their best pitch now (or up to draft day).

That's how it is related. When you toss in the 5th overall pick the interested team (in Walker) cannot afford to sit back and play it cheap. It accellerates their need to make their best offer now which in turn increases Walker's today value. Denver can't sit around and throw out feeler offers for Walker if they want him as part of a deal that includes the 5th overall pick. They'd have to make a play for him now which means they have to make a real offer now or their best offer...now.

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 03:04 PM
IF the team that is interested in Walker is also eyeing the #5 overall pick as part of the deal

There is no reason why Denver has to combine the two. They could make an offer on move up, wait on Walker.

gureski
04-17-2006, 03:06 PM
IF the team that is interested in Walker is also eyeing the #5 overall pick as part of the deal

There is no reason why Denver has to combine the two. They could make an offer on move up, wait on Walker.

Thus the preface of my comments thus far that this is all predicated on "IF" the Broncos are trying to acquire both Walker and the 5th overall pick as part of a package deal.

Sparkey
04-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Thus the preface of my comments thus far that this is all predicated on "IF" the Broncos are trying to acquire both Walker and the 5th overall pick as part of a package deal.

Make them separate trades and instead of a pick this year make it a #5 in 2006 and a conditional #1 or #2 in 2007. That way both Denver minimizes the risk of acquiring an injured player and GB maximizes the potential return of JWalk returns to form ? ? ?

falco
04-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Walker is going to Philly for their 2nd rounder...mark my words.

And if we trade the #5 pick I would be shocked...we have a change at getting a really good player. If we trade down 2 or 3 spots and manage to still get sombody like Huff, thats ok...but trading any farther is a mistake.

Williams -> Davis -> Huff -> Hawk, in that order...one of those 4 should still be around #7.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3-way deal, where Denver trades both of its firsts to somebody like Oakland for their 1st and 3rd, and we trade down 2 spots for that 3rd.

EDIT: Combine that with dealing Walker for the 45th pick (+/- a few, not sure exactly), we get a playmaker at #7 plus 5 first day picks.

ND72
04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Denver has said they are not interested in trading their picks to move up. i won't be surprised if walker is traded, but i donno if we'll get a 1st for him.

AJ HAWK

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Denver has said they are not interested in trading their picks to move up. i won't be surprised if walker is traded, but i donno if we'll get a 1st for him.

AJ HAWKIf they said that this week, with the way GMs are this close to the draft, doesn't that mean that they are interested in trading up? You can't go by what anyone says this time of year.

ND72
04-17-2006, 09:05 PM
oh i know, just stating what they said. trust me, i don't believe a word anyone says right now. talk to me May 1st :wink:

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey! Here's an idea. TT should tell everyone what he really intends to do and no one will believe him until he goes ahead and does it. Then next year he can lie through his teeth and everyone will believe him. Wouldn't that be funny? No? Oh well.