PDA

View Full Version : Re-Living the Packers 2008 season

RashanGary
04-19-2021, 09:51 PM
- Brett Favre retired, unretired, had a media battle against the Ari Fleicher led Packers PR attack, got traded to the Jets and Rodgers took over. Mark Murphy said they had crossed the Rubicon and there was no going back to Favre.

-Drama filled the offseason. People booed on family night, people booed at practice, people just booed and booed.

- Aaron Rodgers took 34 sacks behind the same like Favre took 15 the year before. He also hesitated at the line of scrimmage and the offense was far less authoritative as the year prior. He did manage 4000 yards and some pretty stats in his 10 loss opening season, with the same team Favre won 13 games but many called him a stat whore because he just didn't have that winning aggression that his predecessor had.

- Mobb Deep started the Brett the living legend thread, and Woodbuck spammed it for a decade straight

- Favre had the Jenn Sterger affair complete with dick pics, ever reminding him that there was no place like home where Green Bay covered for all of his infidelity. It was said, with Jenn looking so much like Favres wife that it was more of a tribute than an affair. Others had no comment.

OFFENSE
Rodgers
Ryan Grant
Korey Hall
Driver
Jennings
Donald Lee
Clifton
Spitz
Wells
Colledge
Tauscher

DEFENSE
Kampman
Pickett
Jolly
Montgomery/Jenkins
Hawk
Barnett
Poppinga
Al Harris
Woodson
Bigby
Collins

DRAFT
Nelson
Brohm
Pat Lee
Finley
Jeremy Thompson
Josh Sitton
Breno Giacomini
Flynn
Brett Swain

ThanksTed echoed through the halls of 1265. While Rodgers looked promising, he also looked hesitant to Favres confident and snails pace to Favres torrid pace. Six wins was a huge disappointment after a near championship run that came the season prior. Rodgers was fast developing a reputation as the california pretty stat boy who couldn't win. It's a good thing Favre was in New York and not Minnesota because this could have been ugly. Packer nation was torn and many fans disappeared for good as they couldn't stomach the way the team did their favorite player. But hope was on the horizon. 4,000 yards and some beautiful passes had some fans imagining what might come with a little experience. One thing is sure, Deputy Nutz and Bretsky would never be the same.

Joemailman
04-19-2021, 10:54 PM
Reliving the Packers 2008 season.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/now-why-would-6c41386f8a.jpg

RashanGary
04-19-2021, 11:07 PM
Reliving the Packers 2008 season.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/now-why-would-6c41386f8a.jpg

Wist said, “no one remembers the non super bowl seasons,” so I thought we could have a tribute to a previous season each week during
the offseason.

Upnorth
04-20-2021, 07:47 AM
Great idea. I remember the Panthers game (don't know why it stand out) think right after we got the lead back that the d would lose it for us. It felt familiar that season.

George Cumby
04-20-2021, 10:40 AM
Epic OP.

Pretty great drama, made shit entertaining for sure.

Where's my purple Crocs?

run pMc
04-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Great idea. I remember the Panthers game (don't know why it stand out) think right after we got the lead back that the d would lose it for us. It felt familiar that season.

I remember that game. I was screaming at the TV for GB to cover Steve Smith and he still killed them.

I seem to recall a lot of almost-wins that year, and you could see Rodgers was green but there were plenty of flashes where you could also see why they liked him. They clearly weren't the NFCCG team, but they were younger and had the potential to grow and get better.
I recall the early Rodgers-era as one where the criticism was he couldn't win close games or comebacks.

RashanGary
04-20-2021, 03:32 PM
I remember that game. I was screaming at the TV for GB to cover Steve Smith and he still killed them.

I seem to recall a lot of almost-wins that year, and you could see Rodgers was green but there were plenty of flashes where you could also see why they liked him. They clearly weren't the NFCCG team, but they were younger and had the potential to grow and get better.
I recall the early Rodgers-era as one where the criticism was he couldn't win close games or comebacks.

Yeah.... that for sure. And stat slut. And my criticism was I was used to seeing favre with a torrid pace, constantly putting pressure on defenses and Rodgers was slow and took all the clock and seemed to allow defenses to get set and ready to attack vs being pressured. Rodgers also held the ball and took sacks where favre knew how to get the ball out. We definitely took steps back and in hindsight you definitely saw reason to think 12 could put it all together with a little experience.

Fritz
04-21-2021, 02:19 PM
Ugh. That Cardinals playoff game. It was like watching a Packer playoff game from the 80's, when the Packers would march down the field and score, then let the other team march right down the field and score.

I watched it at a friend's house. I screamed myself hoarse at that defense. And at the end, Rodgers getting the ball knocked out. Ugh. But it was that porous defense that lost that game.

A defenseless defense, that was.

RashanGary
04-21-2021, 03:44 PM
Ugh. That Cardinals playoff game. It was like watching a Packer playoff game from the 80's, when the Packers would march down the field and score, then let the other team march right down the field and score.

I watched it at a friend's house. I screamed myself hoarse at that defense. And at the end, Rodgers getting the ball knocked out. Ugh. But it was that porous defense that lost that game.

A defenseless defense, that was.

Imma make a reliving 2009 next week. Yep. I vividly remember 2008, 2009 and 2010

Upnorth
04-21-2021, 04:30 PM
One more point I will make here. Ryan Grant is underappreciated!
(Spolier warning I will make this comment in the 2009 thread as well)

RashanGary
04-21-2021, 08:20 PM
Wikipedia has a season summary but it’s too long and it misses out on all the great forum back stories that we have. So I shorten the wiki and add out main conversations with my twist. But I’m glad you guys get a kick out of it too. Hopefully we get some laughs.

Fritz
04-22-2021, 10:58 AM
I don't agree with the idea of Ryan Grant being underrated. He was good for being a Packer running back at that time, but really, to my way of thinking he was really just kinda okay.

Upnorth
04-22-2021, 03:06 PM
You needed 3 yards and no fumbles that is what you got. Built for our passing attack

RashanGary
04-22-2021, 03:19 PM
You needed 3 yards and no fumbles that is what you got. Built for our passing attack

Yep. He always kept the down and distance favorable. Perfect RB for a high octane passing attack. If the passing wasn’t so good, you’d probably want a more game breaking RB