PDA

View Full Version : AR wants out?!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

King Friday
04-30-2021, 12:43 PM
I don't think the org is a huge problem. It's pretty much status quo to what it has been throughout Rodgers career. The issue is the lack of commitment to winning now...as, again, Rodgers sees what Tampa is doing for Tom Brady and is extremely envious.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 12:59 PM
I've heard nobody say this years WR class is better.

I have. The GMs for the Bengals, Dolphins, and Eagles who took 3 WR in top 10. Last year we had zero. Total of 5 WR went in round one both years. So through actions I have seen the GMs in the NFL say this class is better.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2021, 01:05 PM
Also the packets confirmed they tried to restructure his deal. Then when that wasn’t successful they tried offering him the extension he was seeking & he said no to that. No word on why he said no. Was it he’s done with them or was he not happy with the terms?

Did the team confirm offering the extension Rodgers was seeking? Or is that just some media puke saying so? I think it's the latter.

How many wins without Rodgers? This year I would guess 3-5. With higher draft picks, it would get up to maybe 7-9 or 10, but no more than that for the foreseeable future - and I mean at least a decade ...... but as I said, R-E-L-A-X, that's not the way it's going down. They'll still get the job done and extend him at least to the end of Love's rookie contract plus a year or two.

As horrendously stupid as last year's draft was, I'm not ready to completely abel Gutekunst and his gang as boneheaded yet. Previous to that draft and in free agency, they were ok, and they're seemingly off to a good start this draft. And of course, there is the back to back 13-3, which Rodgers gets far more credit for than the organization.

As for getting "set up for a decade" with a "boatload of draft picks", I doubt it. This isn't the NBA like with the Alcindor/Kareem trade. You have 22 starters instead of 5, among many other reasons.

Does Rodgers see how Brady was treated and want some of that? Maybe, but he's never said it, he's just done his job at a level second to none, so maybe he deserves a little more consideration - from the organization and from panicky fans ready to jump ship at the least excuse, not even a proven excuse.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2021, 01:10 PM
Favre chose shitstorm. He never won another ring. GB won one a couple years later. Shitstorm is not really a thing other than to the media.

When Favre left, he was a helluva lot closer to over the hill than Rodgers is ...... or IMO, than Rodgers will be even 4 or 5 years from now.

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 01:12 PM
I have. The GMs for the Bengals, Dolphins, and Eagles who took 3 WR in top 10. Last year we had zero. Total of 5 WR went in round one both years. So through actions I have seen the GMs in the NFL say this class is better.

But that does not mean that this years wr class is better than last years. It might mean that, but it could also mean that the relative talent at other positions is less, thereby lifting more receivers to the top this years board. Three years from now, the debate about which class was better will be answered.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 01:13 PM
I will say this. At this point, all reports are largely true (not exactly, but the rift is fact).

If that were not the case, Gutes wouldn't be saying the things he has been and Rodgers would have tweeted out his intent to play for the packers in 2021. Since Rodgers has been silent in all of this, he endorses it in general whether its all exact or not.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 01:30 PM
But that does not mean that this years wr class is better than last years. It might mean that, but it could also mean that the relative talent at other positions is less, thereby lifting more receivers to the top this years board. Three years from now, the debate about which class was better will be answered.

last years class was DEEP. Teams could wait longer to grab a guy

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 01:31 PM
last years class was DEEP. Teams could wait longer to grab a guy

Lets see how round 2 and 3 play out. I'm gonna say false.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 01:41 PM
Mike Silver parrots whatever message Aaron Rodgers wants to put out there. I have no interest in his take on things.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 01:45 PM

Guys don't pick players at 5/6 and 10 because there aren't other good players at the position. Hmmm....there just aren't any DL in this draft so lets draft Lancaster at 7. Yea, thats how they think.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 01:45 PM
Rodgers saw this as his chance to get to his 49ers. It didn't work. Now, he'll have to stick his tail between his legs and play for the Packers OR he'll retire (maybe he'll get offered the Jeopardy).

I would have traded him. His trade value will only go down from here. The Packers would have been set up very nicely for the future (and Fields was sitting there for them to take). I wouldn't put it past Rodgers to retire because he's a notorious grudge holder (which is probably why none of his relationships ever last).

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 01:47 PM
Rodgers saw this as his chance to get to his 49ers. It didn't work. Now, he'll have to stick his tail between his legs and play for the Packers OR he'll retire (maybe he'll get offered the Jeopardy.

I would have traded him. His trade value will only go down from here. The Packers would have been set up very nicely for the future (and Fields was sitting there for them to take). I wouldn't put it past Rodgers to retire because he's a notorious grudge holder (which is probably why none of his relationships never last).

If Denver offered 9, Jeudy 2021 2nd and 2022 first or second I would have considered it. Short of that, no.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 02:03 PM
If Denver offered 9, Jeudy 2021 2nd and 2022 first or second I would have considered it. Short of that, no.

I would have done 3 firsts and 1 2nd. I don't think the Broncos would have offered Jeudy because they'd need all of the weapons they can get for Rodgers.

It sounds like they didn't even get to a point where Denver made an offer, so that's probably all conjecture.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 02:08 PM
These national writers can be so ridiculous (Silver and this guy Rosenthal near the top):

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-day-1-winners-losers-49ers-up-justin-fields-down

If it takes making Rodgers the richest player in the game, trading away 2020 first-round pick Jordan Love or even changing GMs, then the Packers should do it.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 02:13 PM
These national writers can be so ridiculous (Silver and this guy Rosenthal near the top):

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-day-1-winners-losers-49ers-up-justin-fields-down

Dunno about Gooter, but with how close they are to the super bowl and how unlikely that is to happen post Rodgers, I don't think the national writers are off-base here.

What % do you give the Packers to win a Super Bowl in the ten years post ARod? I put it at 5%.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2021, 02:16 PM
This is one media guy I will avoid calling a media puke. Hell yeah, the Packers should do those things - whatever is necessary. I doubt Rodgers is demanding Gutekunst get fired or Love gets traded, though.

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 02:17 PM
Guys don't pick players at 5/6 and 10 because there aren't other good players at the position. Hmmm....there just aren't any DL in this draft so lets draft Lancaster at 7. Yea, thats how they think.

That's not what I said. I said, if there was a reggie white, namdakong suh and a warren sapp in this draft there more than likely would have been fewer wr drafted in rd 1 because each of those dlineman would have been picked.

It's the reason draft boards exist. Group guys from best to worst, in tiers, and then don't stray from the board. If there was more top tier dlineman, they push other players down these boards. Same with QB or CB, etc.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 02:30 PM
Dunno about Gooter, but with how close they are to the super bowl and how unlikely that is to happen post Rodgers, I don't think the national writers are off-base here.

What % do you give the Packers to win a Super Bowl in the ten years post ARod? I put it at 5%.

Tell me again. What does Rodgers have to be upset about? With every new contract he's gotten since the first, he's been given the highest salary in the NFL. Money shouldn't be an issue. He has a QB friendly coach that helped him to his 3rd MVP. The roster is Super Bowl contender worthy. Coach, system, teammates shouldn't be an issue. So, the Packers drafted a QB in the 1st round after 2-3 mediocre years from their 37-year-old, former MVP QB? Big friggin' deal! Suck it up, buttercup! Not a lot of situational awareness here either--since he was once in Love's shoes and it was proven the organization did the right thing drafting him. There are things I like about Rodgers. He's intelligent. He has a dry wit. Above all else, he's a great QB. However, he is also a narcissist with a giant chip on his shoulder--who seems to have a hard time getting over grudges. Kind of like the guy who preceded him.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 02:33 PM
That's not what I said. I said, if there was a reggie white, namdakong suh and a warren sapp in this draft there more than likely would have been fewer wr drafted in rd 1 because each of those dlineman would have been picked.

It's the reason draft boards exist. Group guys from best to worst, in tiers, and then don't stray from the board. If there was more top tier dlineman, they push other players down these boards. Same with QB or CB, etc.

I agree with what you said. No one seemed to be in a rush to draft OTs this year. Because there are like 12 guys who most people like who can be had later. WR, they got in early knowing there were fewer of them. Jamar Chase looks special though. He was gonna go high regardless.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 02:36 PM
Pass on fields. I’m having trouble remembering the last good ohio state or urban meyer college QB they didn’t suck at the next level

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 02:37 PM
Tell me again. What does Rodgers have to be upset about? With every new contract he's gotten since the first, he's been given the highest salary in the NFL. Money shouldn't be an issue. He has a QB friendly coach that helped him to his 3rd MVP. The roster is Super Bowl contender worthy. Coach, system, teammates shouldn't be an issue. So, the Packers drafted a QB in the 1st round after 2-3 mediocre years from their 37-year-old, former MVP QB? Big friggin' deal! Suck it up, buttercup! Not a lot of situational awareness here either--since he was once in Love's shoes and it was proven the organization did the right thing drafting him. There are things I like about Rodgers. He's intelligent. He has a dry wit. Above all else, he's a great QB. However, he is also a narcissist with a giant chip on his shoulder--who seems to have a hard time getting over grudges. Kind of like the guy who preceded him.

He should be upset by:

1. The Packers not trying to win him a super bowl after 2019 NFC championship appearance (taking premium assets and allocating them towards the future e.g. choosing Jordan Love)
2. Organizational challenges resulting in spending last 10 premium picks on defenders and still having poor defensive results in post season
3. The team opting to go with year-to-year contracts instead of a giving him some security (It seems like this may be null and void though if the Packers were offering to extend him, the details of which remain to be seen)
4. Won MVP this year, not really taken care of in any way such as re-doing contract, massive raise, etc.
5. Current yearly compensation from Packers is not aligned with achievements and stature as top tier quarterback

I think the Packers are a business committed to making money year after year and remaining a playoff team year after year. I don't think they truly care about winning the Super Bowl because their actions the past 10 years haven't suggested that. Never once have they loaded up and gone for it, although they have had some very good rosters (2014-2015 for example).

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 02:38 PM
WR went earlier because the DL & edge rushers are an extremely weak class. A couple of the WR are elite but singer of them wouldn’t have been 1st round last year. Toney & the MIN dude I’m spacing on right now.

Vincenzo
04-30-2021, 02:40 PM
What a shit show. Either the ghost of TT is running things, or Rodgers is a whiny bitch. I'm going with a bit of both with most emphasis on AR being a whiny bitch.
I couldn’t agree with this more! For such an intelligent sounding man, he needs to grow up.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 03:02 PM
He should be upset by:

1. The Packers not trying to win him a super bowl after 2019 NFC championship appearance (taking premium assets and allocating them towards the future e.g. choosing Jordan Love)
2. Organizational challenges resulting in spending last 10 premium picks on defenders and still having poor defensive results in post season
3. The team opting to go with year-to-year contracts instead of a giving him some security (It seems like this may be null and void though if the Packers were offering to extend him, the details of which remain to be seen)
4. Won MVP this year, not really taken care of in any way such as re-doing contract, massive raise, etc.
5. Current yearly compensation from Packers is not aligned with achievements and stature as top tier quarterback

I think the Packers are a business committed to making money year after year and remaining a playoff team year after year. I don't think they truly care about winning the Super Bowl because their actions the past 10 years haven't suggested that. Never once have they loaded up and gone for it, although they have had some very good rosters (2014-2015 for example).

1) Any GM who didn't consider drafting a QB they liked when they had a 37-year-old QB coming off 2-3 mediocre years would be derelict in their duties. They liked Love, and so did a lot of other people. He was projected to go in the 1st round. That's where he went. Again, Rodgers is an idiot if he can't understand the reasoning for the pick--especially since he was in Love's shoes before.
2) The team has a Super Bowl contending roster now. Gute has only been GM since 2018, so what happened prior to him is utterly meaningless. Rodgers also needs to look in the mirror to understand why the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl this year. MVP Rodgers didn't play like an MVP in the biggest game of the year. He threw a bad interception at the end of the half and he had some misses. He could have thrown a better ball on the potential Adams TD.
3) He didn't have a year-to-year contract. He had FOUR years left on his contract. When Love was drafted, there was no way the Packers were getting out of the contract until at least 2022. Plus, they are offering him an extension. He's been well-compensated. Play well, he keeps the job. That's what Tom Brady did--even after the Pats drafted Jimmy G.
4) Give me a friggin' break. The dude has been given the highest salary in the league EVERY time his contract has been up since 2008. He's had his deals torn up early to give him a better contract. He had FOUR years left on his contract.
5) Money, money, money. He's been well compensated, and fairly compensated by the Packers for the entirety of his career. Should Rodgers have given money back for the 2-3 years he was mediocre before last year?

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 03:02 PM
As far as Rodgers, he is 1-4 in Conference Championship games.
Favre was better at 2-2.
The best at 10-4 in Conference Championship games, Tom Brady.

Everyone starts wringing there hands when a soon to be 38 year old complains about not getting the respect he deserves. Like somehow Green Bay owes him. They have given him 5 opportunities to get to the Super Bowl. If he was such a GREAT player, why only a 1-4 record ?

And if Rodgers thinks that the Packers should do what the Buccs did for Brady, then I will agree as soon as Rodgers takes a pay cut so his cap hit is 25 million and GB can add more talent around him. As it is, my understanding is he wants to be paid more than Mahomes. If he wants that kind of $$$, there is no way to put a "better team" around him. It also means he really doesn't give a shit about championships and that leads to to me last thought. On June 1st, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out of town.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 03:16 PM
1) Any GM who didn't consider drafting a QB they liked when they had a 37-year-old QB coming off 2-3 mediocre years would be derelict in their duties. They liked Love, and so did a lot of other people. He was projected to go in the 1st round. That's where he went. Again, Rodgers is an idiot if he can't understand the reasoning for the pick--especially since he was in Love's shoes before.

Rodgers was 36 at the time. I disagree and so does precedent. Did the Broncos take a QB in the first when they had Manning? Did the Buccanears with Brady? Did the Saints with Brees? Did the Steelers with Roethlisberger? Did the Cardinals with whats-his-name? Did the Chargers with Phillip Rivers? Did the Giants take a QB to sit on the bench behind Manning for a few years?

In the case of most of the above, they were playing at a much lower level than what Rodgers was. Arguably Rodgers was more injury prone, I will entertain that. And I'm not Rodgers fan, he has his own host of problems.

The stark reality is I cannot find a single situation analogous to Rodgers/Love in recent history with a top tier QB. I guess the two that come to mind are Montana -> Steve Young, and Favre -> Rodgers. One could maybe make the case of Manning -> Luck but that is a wildly different situation (Manning coming off potential career ending surgery, 1-15 record IIRC correctly, one-in-a-decade prospect in Andy Luck)

2) The team has a Super Bowl contending roster now. Gute has only been GM since 2018, so what happened prior to him is utterly meaningless. Rodgers also needs to look in the mirror to understand why the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl this year. MVP Rodgers didn't play like an MVP in the biggest game of the year. He threw a bad interception at the end of the half and he had some misses. He could have thrown a better ball on the potential Adams TD.

I agree, but would adding a dynamic #1 pick not bring them closer? They were inches away from winning. Would having another player playing instead of inactive not have helped them? It's impossible to say if it would have been enough but we know for sure that Love contributed _nothing_ in that game, and another dynamic playmaker could/should/would have. You only get so many dice roles.

3) He didn't have a year-to-year contract. He had FOUR years left on his contract. When Love was drafted, there was no way the Packers were getting out of the contract until at least 2022. Plus, they are offering him an extension. He's been well-compensated. Play well, he keeps the job. That's what Tom Brady did--even after the Pats drafted Jimmy G.

Tom Brady chose to do it. Rodgers has asked publicly for security all season long in his appearances. We shall see how it shakes out after we get a clear picture of the extension talks, etc. Right now it's all rumor to quote BF.

4) Give me a friggin' break. The dude has been given the highest salary in the league EVERY time his contract has been up since 2008. He's had his deals torn up early to give him a better contract. He had FOUR years left on his contract.
5) Money, money, money. He's been well compensated, and fairly compensated by the Packers for the entirety of his career. Should Rodgers have given money back for the 2-3 years he was mediocre before last year?

Maybe I'm naive, but I think this situation is 75% about money and 25% being annoyed. If they address the money, the rest will go away IMO.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 03:17 PM
As far as Rodgers, he is 1-4 in Conference Championship games.
Favre was better at 2-2.
The best at 10-4 in Conference Championship games, Tom Brady.

Everyone starts wringing there hands when a soon to be 38 year old complains about not getting the respect he deserves. Like somehow Green Bay owes him. They have given him 5 opportunities to get to the Super Bowl. If he was such a GREAT player, why only a 1-4 record ?

And if Rodgers thinks that the Packers should do what the Buccs did for Brady, then I will agree as soon as Rodgers takes a pay cut so his cap hit is 25 million and GB can add more talent around him. As it is, my understanding is he wants to be paid more than Mahomes. If he wants that kind of $$$, there is no way to put a "better team" around him. It also means he really doesn't give a shit about championships and that leads to to me last thought. On June 1st, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out of town.

Good post, and I agree with it, but I also think the Packers did him dirty with love and _could_ have made a stronger effort to go all in a few times and maybe won another chip or two. It's not a simple or black and white situation.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 03:21 PM
I wouldn’t give Rodgers more money. He has three years left on his deal and we don’t know what he’ll be playing like at age 41. It’s horrible timing for an extension after an MVP season because he’s gonna want 45M/ year and there’s zero chance he’ll play up to that in his 40s.

Rodgers had a great year. Him and his agent want money. That’s what this most likely boils down to. The Packers have the contract in place to wait this out and make a decision a year or two from now.

I’m not mad at Rodgers but he’s probably going to have to bite the bullet here. The Packers will not budge. And shouldn’t. If Rodgers goes too nuclear, he’s just going to hurt himself in the process although the money makes it tempting right now to force some guarantees after the MVP.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 03:25 PM
Mark Murphy and the whole organization is going to have to be smart in how they word things and smart in how they lay out their goals and intentions because Rodgers camp, post MVP, is gonna push hard for 45M/year into his 40s and the Packers need to be able to politely say, we can’t offer that to a 41 year old athlete but at the same time showing they really want him now.

run pMc
04-30-2021, 03:25 PM
He should be upset by:

I dunno, I think I'm siding with Harv on this one.
The 2018 off season they loaded up in FA and got rid of McCarthy because that soured.
The 2019 draft was about giving MLF -- not Rodgers -- some players to mold and provide depth. Organizationally, that makes some sense to me. They tried to bring in WRs (E.Sanders, W.Fuller) last year but that didn't pan out, and Funchess isn't much but he was somebody and he opted out. If he's pissed about a QB being taken, I think he needs to get some perspective. In the pros, a potential replacement is getting drafted almost yearly, why should he be different? Did he throw a fit when Brohm or BJ Coleman got drafted? If he's pissed because he wasn't warned, ok, but apologies can be given and accepted and you move on. Sheesh.

This offseason they are loading up by trying to "run it back" with essentially everyone from last year, which was apparently -- according to some NFL talent evaluators -- a very talented roster. He can complain about the D, but Pettine is gone and that might help, plus they now have a potential replacement for Kevin King and 9 more picks to find help on offense. And the 2014 team absolutely should have beaten SEA; that was a really awful & fluky ending to the game. I'd bet if you replayed the 4Q GB wins 9 out of 10 times. How many NFLCG's has Rodgers been in now?

His compensation is just fine IMO. He counts for almost a quarter of the cap. You could try giving him 50% of the cap but you'd be gutting your roster and rolling out a bunch of Tyler Lancasters. You have to draft a lot of CB/S because it's a passing league, you need at least 3-4 decent CBs & they get hurt, and some (like Ahmad Carroll or Josh Jackson) don't pan out. (Also, TT started to lose his fastball toward the end of his tenure.)

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 04:03 PM
A lot of just “wow” with the defense of this organization & its choices.

esoxx
04-30-2021, 04:13 PM
I don't think there's much doubt Aaron Rodgers has played his last down with this organization.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 04:18 PM
I happen to like Dillon but I don’t recall anyone talking much about him on day 2 predraft. Nobody was talking about our TE in the 3rd whatsoever. That was a huge reach

2020 draft was an unmitigated disaster on every level

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 04:21 PM
I don't think there's much doubt Aaron Rodgers has played his last down with this organization.

Idk. There’s a lot of chess going on. I’m starting to think it’s really going that way but it’s not sealed yet.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 04:24 PM
Steve smith just highlighted the problem with our roster decision making. “You just resigned a guy you just know! He shouldn’t be on the depth chart! He can’t cover’! Kevin King could make a 42 yr old like me come out of retirement & go to the pro bowl. He can’t tackle & he can’t cover!”

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 04:24 PM
Rodgers would have tried to force more money regardless of what happened with last years draft. Glad we drafted a QB. Let 12 be the jeopardy host. We’ll never forget you, Erin.

And whatever comes will be worth not caving to the selfish money grubber.

Spaulding
04-30-2021, 04:38 PM
Until I see Aaron flat out say it or tweet it, I don't believe his time with the Packers is done.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 04:39 PM
Rodgers would have tried to force more money regardless of what happened with last years draft. Glad we drafted a QB. Let 12 be the jeopardy host. We’ll never forget you, Erin.

And whatever comes will be worth not caving to the selfish money grubber.

This almost never works, though. What happens when he says fuck it, imma embarrass a fool and decides to come back in summer ala Favre? This is dumb.

They should have dealt him before the draft. His value is torched now because the what-could-have-been is now known. I would call SF and see if they'd do Rodgers for Lance straight up now 'cause I doubt they'll even get that sort of offering. Recall Favre netted a third.

esoxx
04-30-2021, 04:44 PM
I mean, I don't think it's much of a coincidence AR or his people used the first day of the 2021 Draft to press the issue in public. His view, the Packers gave him a shocking middle finger on the first day of the 2020 Draft. This appears to be his repayment. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 04:50 PM
This almost never works, though. What happens when he says fuck it, imma embarrass a fool and decides to come back in summer ala Favre? This is dumb.

They should have dealt him before the draft. His value is torched now because the what-could-have-been is now known. I would call SF and see if they'd do Rodgers for Lance straight up now 'cause I doubt they'll even get that sort of offering. Recall Favre netted a third.

He isn't where favre was. If he comes back into town a week or 2 into camp they will welcome him and he is the instant starter. Unlike Favre, he works out in the offseason and doesn't spend camp getting past shoulder tendinitis. Plus he would then have a great season and we could trade him next year when it actually makes sense to, unless he decides to stay.

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 04:57 PM
Love is in a good situation. Good team. Hopefully 3 1st round picks for Rodgers. The cap gets immediately fixed with Rodgers out. Love is in the second year in the same offense and has had a full year to iron out some of his flaws. I like every football year, even the ones that don’t end in championships. I’d be ok without Rodgers. I’d be ok with a step back. It’s just football.

WHAT IS THE LOCAL WORD ON JORDAN LOVE ?

I listened to talk radio nearly the whole day and head a lot of juice, some with legs and some BS

On three separate referenced (two national and one local) they referenced Jordan Love not looking good in practices this year.

Have you heard anything at all on this ?

Jaire
04-30-2021, 04:58 PM
I think it could be over. A lot more going on here. Rodgers is unhappy I am guessing about some other bone headed decisions as well. Can't blame him. If it has come to this point, I suspect he plans to sit this year out. And the best reports I hear is that there is a real impasse. They don't know Rodgers. He will definitely take the Jeopardy gig or just sit out.

I've supported the organization for a while but I think I am done. The whole Love pick was just stupid. The organization has been making bad decisions for a long time and now it's coming hime to roost. It goes back to 2014.

It was a fun 30 years.

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:01 PM
The Packers should have taken the Broncos deal and drafted Justin Fields.

This is REALLY where I am as well.

If Denver really offered up pick 9 and two firsts plus.........JUMP at that deal.

Take Justin Fields as your future QB, and load up around him.

I don't think this is about money; Rodgers has changed and not for the good.

I was listening to Steve the Homer True today and he discussed how Rodgers was so pleasant, easy going, and really amicalbe to talk to ten years ago. He said if there was one question he'd ask Rodgers and without hesitation he's ask "what the hell has changed with you" ? Said he's night and day a different person now as opposed to early years.

I fear a really unahappy Rodgers can be a bad thing. I have supported Rodgers through much of this but not too much is coming out . Logic says you part ways

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:07 PM
LISTENED To former GM Mike Tannebaum (who sucked as a GM). He was grilled and asked to explain the GB scenario. He noted in today's NFL it's common courtesy in a scenario like this to give a QB a heads up that it might happen. And when GB offered up another pick, to ensure they got the QB to replace Rodgers, most likely Rodgers felt like it was an extra kick to not get the heads up. He's not saying right or wrong, but he's saying it's kind of reality and up to each organization how to deal with it....whether it's ahead of time or not.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 05:07 PM

True. Trading him would have been nice. It’s complicated tho. In a weird way, I think the players have more respect for the Packers by not caving. All those guys are important. To cater to Rodgers would be a bad precedent. It might work out to just go this way. If Rodgers wants to take his ball and go home, I’d rather lose the right way than win the wrong way.

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:12 PM
I think it could be over. A lot more going on here. Rodgers is unhappy I am guessing about some other bone headed decisions as well. Can't blame him. If it has come to this point, I suspect he plans to sit this year out. And the best reports I hear is that there is a real impasse. They don't know Rodgers. He will definitely take the Jeopardy gig or just sit out.

I've supported the organization for a while but I think I am done. The whole Love pick was just stupid. The organization has been making bad decisions for a long time and now it's coming hime to roost. It goes back to 2014.

It was a fun 30 years.

I can't jump ship, but I agree the Love pick was just a stupid move

esoxx
04-30-2021, 05:15 PM
LISTENED To former GM Mike Tannebaum (who sucked as a GM). He was grilled and asked to explain the GB scenario. He noted in today's NFL it's common courtesy in a scenario like this to give a QB a heads up that it might happen. And when GB offered up another pick, to ensure they got the QB to replace Rodgers, most likely Rodgers felt like it was an extra kick to not get the heads up. He's not saying right or wrong, but he's saying it's kind of reality and up to each organization how to deal with it....whether it's ahead of time or not.

Exactly right. Gute even admitted last night he made errors in communication.

Too little, too late. What a shame.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 05:17 PM
This is not Rodgers fault in any way. He's the best QB in the game, ever. That's just a fact. Brady is better as a leader but not as QB. Rodgers had a top 10 defense like twice. The Bucs down the stretch last year were number one in the league and stacked.

And he's put up with a lot of bs

Not saying he doesn't have his flaws but no franchuse QB has been treated this way. Montana and Favre were very different situations. I can't even think of one franchise QB that had this pulled on him. Not one.

Moreover, the front office could still fix this if they wanted.

Vincenzo
04-30-2021, 05:20 PM
Alex, I'll take Active Quarterbacks with Mental Problems for 800.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 05:22 PM
This is not Rodgers fault in any way. He's the best QB in the game, ever. That's just a fact. Brady is better as a leader but not as QB. Rodgers had a top 10 defense like twice. The Bucs down the stretch last year were number one in the league and stacked.

Not saying he doesn't have his flaws but no franchuse QB has been treated this way. Montana and Favre were very different situations. I can't even think of one franchise QB that had this pulled on him. Not one.

Rodgers wants more money and wants to be extended beyond 41 years old at top dollar. He’s being greedy. The Packers drafting Love is part of football. Every other teammate gets guys drafted at their position. No one ever calls them to tell them about it. If he’s so miffed that he either gets lots of money or quits, there’s not much you can do. Even if they had called the guy first, he’d still be squabbling over money right now.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 05:27 PM
I can't jump ship, but I agree the Love pick was just a stupid move

Not jumping ship. I just think the very long run we had is over if Arod leaves. He means way more to this team (and the locker room) than people think.

If Arod leaves it will be demoralizing to the team and they won't recover til there is a new FO. I do like LaFleur but the FO is way too cocky.

Seriously, only one or two teams in the league would not prefer Rodgers at QB if it were just one year. He has been vilified for no reason really. Big Dog tweeted out his support for Rodgers which means a lot. There are not many leaders on this team since the departures of Collins and Woodson who they also did wrong and paid for it for years.

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:27 PM
Rodgers wants more money and wants to be extended beyond 41 years old at top dollar. He’s being greedy. The Packers drafting Love is part of football. Every other teammate gets guys drafted at their position. No one ever calls them to tell them about it. If he’s so miffed that he either gets lots of money or quits, there’s not much you can do. Even if they had called the guy first, he’d still be squabbling over money right now.

Rodgers is kinda a snarky prick. But I think this is more about respect/ego than money. Although now Rodgers may want to stick it to them.

And Gutebag has some blame here IMO. And I don't think your assumption of the invisible communication ahead of moves like this is completely accurate.

red
04-30-2021, 05:28 PM
its funny, reading the things on here with the homers that think the team can do no wrong and thinks the sun shines out of the organizations ass

then you spend the day reading, listening and watching everyone elses opinions in the world

almost everyone out there thinks that the packers are almost entirely responsible for this mess and that they have been fucking around rodgers for years

stephen a smith talks about how a few years back, rodgers walked into the management office and tried to give them his ideas of what he thought they needed to improve as a team. instead of just letting him gives his opinion, they told him to take a hike because they are the ones that make the decisions not him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJbFr02GgM

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 05:31 PM
Rodgers is kinda a snarky prick. But I think this is more about respect/ego than money. Although now Rodgers may want to stick it to them.

And Gutebag has some blame here IMO. And I don't think your assumption of the invisible communication ahead of moves like this is completely accurate.

There is some grey area. But after his MVP year, he has maybe one more shot to get big money and now is the absolute time to strike while the irons hot. He would have been miffed about not getting more money no matter what after the season he had. He has an arguemebt that he’s the best in the game aand has leverage.

I don’t think I’m the only fan who feels this way, but I’d rather go 6-10 and not cave to one guys demands than cave and win 11. I like watching a lot of Packer players just as much as I like watching Rodgers and will still be a fan with or without him.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 05:33 PM
It's not money.

Name one team that has drafted a QB in round one with a bona fide starter. When's the last time that happened?

No. Rodgers is not snarky or a prick. He's a bit passive aggressive. Some folks don't like his personality. It's definitely not typical for a football player. But last year he changed considerably.

He's getting married and has had enough of the b.s. He wants a ring. He just wanted to retire in GB. Compare how N.O. treated Brees or Pittsburg Big Ben.

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:37 PM
its funny, reading the things on here with the homers that think the team can do no wrong and thinks the sun shines out of the organizations ass

then you spend the day reading, listening and watching everyone elses opinions in the world

almost everyone out there thinks that the packers are almost entirely responsible for this mess and that they have been fucking around rodgers for years

stephen a smith talks about how a few years back, rodgers walked into the management office and tried to give them his ideas of what he thought they needed to improve as a team. instead of just letting him gives his opinion, they told him to take a hike because they are the ones that make the decisions not him

THIS IS SO TRUE

I try to take it all in and find myself in the middle on a lot of this.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 05:39 PM
It's not money.

Name one team that has drafted a QB in round one with a bona fide starter. When's the last time that happened?

No. Rodgers is not snarky or a prick. He's a bit passive aggressive. Some folks don't like his personality. It's definitely not typical for a football player. But last year he changed considerably.

He's getting married and has had enough of the b.s. He wants a ring. He just wanted to retire in GB. Compare how N.O. treated Brees or Pittsburg Big Ben.

The entire setup, teams always trying to get better by upgrading players or planning for age related drop off.... combined with players being a part of the TEAM and feeling a sense of loyalty.... unless you want to be an absolute loser and just keep all of your guys till they say they’re done, it’s gonna lead to hard feelings.

I don’t like the business. I guess I’d rather just give the guy 60 mil like he wants and never bring in competition and do the same for Nelson and Adams and just lose every year but be good people.

But these guys are trying to win and it’s just an ugly business that way.

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:40 PM
There is some grey area. But after his MVP year, he has maybe one more shot to get big money and now is the absolute time to strike while the irons hot. He would have been miffed about not getting more money no matter what after the season he had. He has an arguemebt that he’s the best in the game aand has leverage.

I don’t think I’m the only fan who feels this way, but I’d rather go 6-10 and not cave to one guys demands than cave and win 11. I like watching a lot of Packer players just as much as I like watching Rodgers and will still be a fan with or without him.

I'll EXPAND on this

If we go 6-10 or 10-6 with no Super Bowl I'm in about the same spot at the end of the season. As long as we are moving toward a championship.

That is WHY I am ON BOARD with trading Aaron Rodgers. I lack faith in Gutebag near term and I'm fine to reload.

If Jordan Love FLOPS Gutebag might be gone; so worst case is we're a step closer to figuring this all out

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 05:44 PM
We shoulda kept TJ Lang, Sitton, Nelson, Bulaga, and everyone else. Just kept them, dealt with the injuries abd stayed loyal. We should never bring in competition for Rodgers or plan for his decline. It should be one big family.

Yeah. It should.

But it’s ugly. I truly don’t like it. I understand what each side is trying to do, but it’s ugly. If you’re gonna cave for Favre or Rodgers, I think you should for Lang or Nelson too. If it’s loyalty, it’s loyalty.

And if they ever decided to do that, I’d be ok with losing.

I understand trying to win and have contingency plans, but it brings to light just how ugly the business is.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 05:50 PM
New England has been the poster child for brutal business decisions, constantly trading away or letting go it’s so called family. It’s ugly. The Packers are somewhere in the middle, trying to sign their own first but also moving on sometimes. It’s a brutal, ugly, broken world we live in. This brings that to light for sure. Business is the excuse for all sorts of things.

But like I said, I’m open for treating Rodgers like a son rather than an employee. I am. But then I’d want them all treated that way. Just be better people and lose. Oh well.

red
04-30-2021, 05:55 PM
We shoulda kept TJ Lang, Sitton, Nelson, Bulaga, and everyone else. Just kept them, dealt with the injuries abd stayed loyal. We should never bring in competition for Rodgers or plan for his decline. It should be one big family.

Yeah. It should.

But it’s ugly. I truly don’t like it. I understand what each side is trying to do, but it’s ugly. If you’re gonna cave for Favre or Rodgers, I think you should for Lang or Nelson too. If it’s loyalty, it’s loyalty.

And if they ever decided to do that, I’d be ok with losing.

I understand trying to win and have contingency plans, but it brings to light just how ugly the business is.

yeah because a guard and a wr are just as important as the QB

the whole world plus arod just watched his biggest rival for GOAT go to a team that completely built him a team to win a super bowl. tampa bay went out and did the type of thing that rodgers has been begging the packers to do for years. and it worked

what did we do 2 years ago after we made it to the NFCCG? not much to improve in free agency, and nothing to help them make the next step in the draft

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 05:57 PM
If it’s gonna be a business, I’d rather see it applied across the board than just give Rodgers special treatment.

But if you’re gonna be loyal, I’d want to see that across the board too, even if it meant losing with old injured guys.

The worst case is treating everyone except Rodgers like business decisions and Rodgers having special treatment. Neither my brain or heart can wrap around that one. Treat some guys like dirt and others special. I don’t like that at all. If they didn’t call Z and P when they drafted Gary, it’s not that dramatic to not call Rodgers when you draft Love. Maybe you should talk to everyone about it so they’re prepared for what could come in the draft, explain the business and your intentions so this doesn’t happen.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 05:57 PM
Yes

New England is ruthless.

But Brady did not leave til he was 42.

So we are worse than New England. Far

It's not about money at all. It's that Arod has done all he can and the FO is very "old school." He's smarter than anyone ib the FO. Only guy on the team as smart as Arod is LaFleur. He's had to deal with bs way too long.

He just

wants

to

win.

How do you blame him for that?

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:58 PM
Red you are saying what the entire national media is saying.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 06:00 PM
yeah because a guard and a wr are just as important as the QB

the whole world plus arod just watched his biggest rival for GOAT go to a team that completely built him a team to win a super bowl. tampa bay went out and did the type of thing that rodgers has been begging the packers to do for years. and it worked

what did we do 2 years ago after we made it to the NFCCG? not much to improve in free agency, and nothing to help them make the next step in the draft

Yeah, I’m not down for hero treatment. If it’s a business, it’s a business and if it’s family, it’s family. But individual locker rooms, and special treatment.... I don’t resonate with that at all. Frankly, I’m sure most of the team is like, hey, welcome to the club Erin. We’re all business decisions too. I’ll bet there’s a lot less crying in the lockerroom for 12 than you think.

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 06:03 PM
I would agree that AROD is not cherished like Brett Favre was. I'd even bet some think he's a prick.

But you do treat a HOF QB different that other guys on the team. That is just reality.

The Real Question.......would ELIOTT WOLF ever have let this shit happen :)))))) ??

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 06:04 PM
OOPS DP

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:07 PM
Big Dog voiced his opinion. I'll take that. He is the other real leader on offense.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 06:09 PM
Honestly, this has a positive ripple through the locker room. Aaron Jones is a better guy than Rodgers and never knew if he was gonna be here or not until the final minute. It’s a business for Jones.

Frankly, by the Packers holding the line with Rodgers, his teammates are gonna have more respect for him because they’re all in the same boat together.

You start caving and it creates unfairness to everyone else abd more ugliness. Rodgers can take his ball and go home. Or he can show up and be one of the guys. The guys will work better with him this way anyway. Either it blows up or 12 humbles himself and gets in the boat with Jones and everyone else.

I’d vote for losing every year as a family. But since we’re trying to win, I’d rather win with some fairness than have a pampered brat running the org.

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 06:09 PM
Alex, I'll take Active Quarterbacks with Mental Problems for 800.

This jilted quarterback forced his way out of titletown after realizing there is no I in team.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 06:12 PM
Yes

New England is ruthless.

But Brady did not leave til he was 42.

So we are worse than New England. Far

It's not about money at all. It's that Arod has done all he can and the FO is very "old school." He's smarter than anyone ib the FO. Only guy on the team as smart as Arod is LaFleur. He's had to deal with bs way too long.

He just

wants

to

win.

How do you blame him for that?

Poor guy. Where guys like Aaron Jones and TJ Lang are pieces of shit and deserve hard business decisions.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:15 PM
I would agree that AROD is not cherished like Brett Favre was. I'd even bet some think he's a prick.

But you do treat a HOF QB different that other guys on the team. That is just reality.

The Real Question.......would ELIOTT WOLF ever have let this shit happen :)))))) ??

Wolf messed up in Cleveland. He has very serious defects. (And it seems that there is a lot of passive aggressive in that FO going way back.)

Rodgers is just different and I do like his personality. It's just that it has serious negatives (the grudges). But a GM's job is to deal with that. HoF quarter backs are rare. And Rodgers is easily the GOAT under the right coach. LaFleur has done all right, but AR could use someone better. I well believe SF made the call. Shanahan could get the best out of AR. That trade would have been worth it just to see what Shananan could do (and he has a better FO than GB).

red
Yeah, I’m not down for hero treatment. If it’s a business, it’s a business and if it’s family, it’s family. But individual locker rooms, and special treatment.... I don’t resonate with that at all. Frankly, I’m sure most of the team is like, hey, welcome to the club Erin. We’re all business decisions too. I’ll bet there’s a lot less crying in the lockerroom for 12 than you think.

this isn't the 90's, 80's or 60's anymore. things have changed. theres a reason why even mediocre starting QBs are making 30 million a year, they are the most important player on the team, and probably the organizations

if we lose one of the smiths, that might cost us a game or 2 over the year. we lose kenny, that might cost us a game or 2. we lose adams for the year, might cost us a game or 2. we lose jones, that MIGHT cost us a game

we lose a-rod, and this team is sub .500. maybe even a 5 or 6 win team

in todays nfl, where teams are giving up years of draft picks trying to find good QBs, QBs have become more important then coaches or GMs. you let them in on the teams plans and maybe you listen to what they have to say

sharpe1027
Exactly right. Gute even admitted last night he made errors in communication.

Too little, too late. What a shame.

If this is the state of Rodger's fragile ego, who's to blame?

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 06:18 PM
this isn't the 90's, 80's or 60's anymore. things have changed. theres a reason why even mediocre starting QBs are making 30 million a year, they are the most important player on the team, and probably the organizations

if we lose one of the smiths, that might cost us a game or 2 over the year. we lose kenny, that might cost us a game or 2. we lose adams for the year, might cost us a game or 2. we lose jones, that MIGHT cost us a game

in todays nfl, where teams are giving up years of draft picks trying to find good QBs, QBs have become more important then coaches or GMs. you let them in on the teams plans and maybe you listen to what they have to say

Yeah, If Rodgers wants to be above the rest of the guys, I’m ok with whatever happens to him. One thing is certain, he will suffer more than anyone else if he drags this out.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:19 PM
Poor guy. Where guys like Aaron Jones and TJ Lang are pieces of shit and deserve hard business decisions.

Seriously, AR is GOAT. No comparison.

And they brought back Jones because of his locker room presence.

You don't get it at all. Nor do you get AR. He just wants to win and a little loyalty like shitty over the hill QBs get.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 06:23 PM
Seriously, AR is GOAT. No comparison.

And they brought back Jones because of his locker room presence.

You don't get it at all. Nor do you get AR. He just wants to win and a little loyalty like shitty over the hill QBs get.

Yeah, I don’t view him that way. My heart measures him as one soul. Let's put it this way, I loved my retarded labrador more than I love Aaron Rodgers. I don't worship people. I love them. And I don't love 12 anymore than I do 33. In fact, frankly, I like 33 more.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:24 PM

Bingo

And AR is as about as easy to handle QB as you can have. FOs do.not.like.smart.people. Period. He just wants to win. They have treated him like shit. Fact. They have no clue. And they have no clue what they are giving up.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 06:25 PM

Whatever. Rodgers is a grown man that signed a contract in exchange for a shit ton of money. He's got some responsibility here.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 06:27 PM

For myself, I'm responding to the exact opposite position, Rodgers has no blame and can do no wrong. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I don’t view him that way. My heart measures him as one soul. Let's put it this way, I loved my retarded labrador more than I love Aaron Rodgers. I don't worship people. I love them. And I don't love 12 anymore than I do 33. In fact, frankly, I like 33 more.

I'm talking about his skills and ability.

It's not a love affair. You are comparing a team favorite part time RB to a 1st ballot HoFer at the most valuable position who just won MVP. Listen to yourself.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:29 PM
Whatever. Rodgers is a grown man that signed a contract in exchange for a shit ton of money. He's got some responsibility here.

It's not about money.

He wants to win. See comments by Mercedes Lewis who actually gets it.

RashanGary
I don't worship athletes. Sorry jail. He could be the indisputed GOAT and he's still just one person to me. I'd trade Rodgers for my grandpa back all damn day. He's a football player. Whoopity doo.

sharpe1027
Bingo

And AR is as about as easy to handle QB as you can have. FOs do.not.like.smart.people. Period. He just wants to win. They have treated him like shit. Fact. They have no clue. And they have no clue what they are giving up.

They threw shit tons of money his way and never said a bad word about him, ever.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 06:30 PM
It's not about money.

He wants to win. See comments by Mercedes Lewis who actually gets it.

He's partly responsible for not showing up when it mattered. Time to look in the mirror.

red
04-30-2021, 06:34 PM
Yeah, If Rodgers wants to be above the rest of the guys, I’m ok with whatever happens to him. One thing is certain, he will suffer more than anyone else if he drags this out.

then trade him

i'm i'm not saying that your choice. but if they player wants some control or input, and the team wants him to have none, then let him go try and find a team that will do that

and he won't be hurt if this drags out. like i said earlier, everyone other then packer fans are saying this is totally the organizations fault for things getting his bad. only packer fans are gonna be upset with him, and he won't care because he won't play in green bay ever again

i will add this about rodgers and all the bashing he's taken about him being a "diva". did we know until yesterday that he was gone with green bay, even though he's told teammates and mangement all offseason that he wants out? did he go on twitter to talk about how the team has promised to trade him, then change there mind until last night? did he go to any talk shows to talk about how management has been flying out to see him to change his mind? has he talked or bitched about all the contract negotiations that supposedly have been going one

nope, he hasn't been talking or bitching about any of that until last night when he saw he had no other choice if he was gonna get out of here this year

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 06:35 PM
QBs are so important and Rodgers is so good, yet when the team loses a game it's all because of one first round pick, not the QB. The hypocrisy is comical.

Look, I want Rodgers to stay. I think he's insanely good. One of the greatest of all time. But the bootlicking he can do now wrong attitude is something you'll never get from me. He signed a contract in exchange for committing to a bunch of extra years. Man up.

red
04-30-2021, 06:35 PM
I don't worship athletes. Sorry jail. He could be the indisputed GOAT and he's still just one person to me. I'd trade Rodgers for my grandpa back all damn day. He's a football player. Whoopity doo.

then why are you crying so much about one player not wanting to be a packer anymore?

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 06:39 PM
If the Packers play next season without Rodgers, I'm going to have a beer (or 10) and enjoy the games.

Anyone that wants to be miserable instead is welcome to do so.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 06:41 PM
then trade him

i'm i'm not saying that your choice. but if they player wants some control or input, and the team wants him to have none, then let him go try and find a team that will do that

and he won't be hurt if this drags out. like i said earlier, everyone other then packer fans are saying this is totally the organizations fault for things getting his bad. only packer fans are gonna be upset with him, and he won't care because he won't play in green bay ever again

i will add this about rodgers and all the bashing he's taken about him being a "diva". did we know until yesterday that he was gone with green bay, even though he's told teammates and mangement all offseason that he wants out? did he go on twitter to talk about how the team has promised to trade him, then change there mind until last night? did he go to any talk shows to talk about how management has been flying out to see him to change his mind? has he talked or bitched about all the contract negotiations that supposedly have been going one

nope, he hasn't been talking or bitching about any of that until last night when he saw he had no other choice if he was gonna get out of here this year

I'm not bashing Rodgers. I'm just trying to balance bashing the organization while absolving Rodgers of any responsibility.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 06:49 PM
What about ever other player on the Packers? Shouldn't they all be able to demand trades for the same reason as Rodgers? Don't they also want to win it all? Rodgers is apparently willing to bail on his teammates and that's just fine? Why is this all about Rodgers and none of them matter? What about the fans that pay his salary all these years?

I'm just trying to point out that even if you think the Packers origination messed up, it's not a good look for Rodgers either.

red
04-30-2021, 06:51 PM
QBs are so important and Rodgers is so good, yet when the team loses a game it's all because of one first round pick, not the QB. The hypocrisy is comical.

Look, I want Rodgers to stay. I think he's insanely good. One of the greatest of all time. But the bootlicking he can do now wrong attitude is something you'll never get from me. He signed a contract in exchange for committing to a bunch of extra years. Man up.which brings up an interesting point for those that think he would have to pay back all his signing bonus

in december 2019 he restructured his contract to convert a roster bonus into a signing bonus. this didn't change the amount of money he got, it was just an accounting thing to help the team save some cap space. so that 14 million got spread over the remaining years. so if you then say he has to pay that back to the team because it was a signing bonus that is kinda bullshit, because it was originally a 2020 roster bonus

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:54 PM
He's partly responsible for not showing up when it mattered. Time to look in the mirror.

Arod was one of the only guys to show up at the NFCCG. The Oline whiffed (and Lindsley himself took the blame). MVS played. Adams whiffed. No D pressure

That said TB was stacked. That D brought it. As Phil Simms said about the Super Bowl (esp the TB front 7 on defense), it was boys versus men. He was there.

They had little shot of beating TB. But AR did not lose that game. I'm not "hero worshipping." AR is just that good and also dedicated to winning. See Jones, who was knocked out and gave up the only fumble of his career. TB came to play.GB was underdog and AR gave GB their only chance.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 06:55 PM
I agree

This is not a good look for Rodgers either.

But the GM's job is to smooth these things over. Gute can't. His response is to waste a pick on a future QB. It's ego and incompetence. You DO NOT LET GO a qb of Arod's ability.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 07:16 PM
which brings up an interesting point for those that think he would have to pay back all his signing bonus

in december 2019 he restructured his contract to convert a roster bonus into a signing bonus. this didn't change the amount of money he got, it was just an accounting thing to help the team save some cap space. so that 14 million got spread over the remaining years. so if you then say he has to pay that back to the team because it was a signing bonus that is kinda bullshit, because it was originally a 2020 roster bonus

He signed a new deal and got more guaranteed money in exchange for that. He knew, or should have known, that was part of the trade-off. If I sign a contract don't read the fine print or understand it, that's on me. Nobody is going to come me to my rescue.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 07:26 PM
I agree

But the GM's job is to smooth these things over. Gute can't. His response is to waste a pick on a future QB. It's ego and incompetence. You DO NOT LET GO a qb of Arod's ability.

I agree with part of this, but you still draft a good QB if you think he's the best player available by a good amount.

red
04-30-2021, 08:01 PM
He signed a new deal and got more guaranteed money in exchange for that. He knew, or should have known, that was part of the trade-off. If I sign a contract don't read the fine print or understand it, that's on me. Nobody is going to come me to my rescue.
no, he signed the new extension, and then a year later he they restructured the brand new roster bonus and converted that into even more signing bonus

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2021, 08:04 PM
I'll EXPAND on this

If we go 6-10 or 10-6 with no Super Bowl I'm in about the same spot at the end of the season. As long as we are moving toward a championship.

That is WHY I am ON BOARD with trading Aaron Rodgers. I lack faith in Gutebag near term and I'm fine to reload.

If Jordan Love FLOPS Gutebag might be gone; so worst case is we're a step closer to figuring this all out

This is similar to the old dichotomy: would you rather have a few years or a decade or so of mediocrity, then a Super Bowl? Or would you prefer consistently winning a lot of games and being near the top, and not winning a Super Bowl, at least not very often? I definitely prefer the latter, and that's what Rodgers has given us and will continue to give us if he's around for 2 or 4 or 5 or 10 years.

I wouldn't predict one way or another about Love flopping. Keep him while he's cheap or until it's sure he is crap.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 08:17 PM
no, he signed the new extension, and then a year later he they restructured the brand new roster bonus and converted that into even more signing bonus

I'm talking about the restructure, not the extension. Did I miss the point?

red
04-30-2021, 08:30 PM
I'm talking about the restructure, not the extension. Did I miss the point?

i don't know, now i'm confused

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 09:07 PM
i don't know, now i'm confused

Rodgers knew what he was doing under the restructure. He got that money without needing to make the roster. It had to be guaranteed money.to work. If he doesn't live up to his end of the bargain, however, he still needs to pay some of it back.

GB-Brandon
04-30-2021, 09:07 PM
https://youtu.be/ZR_X6PrASho

I Just stopped by to drop off “The Aaron Rodgers Song” and I LOVE IT. They even played it on the radio here today. I am so proud of Aaron for finally telling these Fucken bums to Fucken kick rocks. Funny how things turned out and how I pretty much predicted this whole thing. Yet I was constantly told I was crazy and to shut up! Maybe my inside sources aren’t such a joke since there under my own Fucken roof. LOL!!! Well some deserve the misery of all this that is coming for all the stupidity and buying into all this brainwashing bullshit!

PEACE!!!

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 09:23 PM
GB Brandon; welcome back

pittstang5
04-30-2021, 09:34 PM
NM

Fritz
05-01-2021, 09:16 AM
I agree

It is a part of a GM's job to smooth these things over. But not at the expense of holding the organization's future hostage. Is he not allowed to draft a player he thinks is the best available because it would hurt the feelings of his star quarterback, who'd just at that point finished a couple of less-than-all-world years? No.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 09:42 AM
It is a part of a GM's job to smooth these things over. But not at the expense of holding the organization's future hostage. Is he not allowed to draft a player he thinks is the best available because it would hurt the feelings of his star quarterback, who'd just at that point finished a couple of less-than-all-world years? No.

He shouldn't be allowed to draft any players where there is an established starter, they also might have their feelings hurt.

ThunderDan
05-01-2021, 10:01 AM
I am truly worried that ARod has played his last snap for GB. He has not come out at all and said this is all bs. If it was the media making this all up ARod could easily have said anything to defuse the situation.

ARod is pissed and it isn’t about money. Dude has made $500,000,000+ between NFL and endorsements in has career. That chip on his shoulder has made him an elite nfl qb. But now it has been turned toward the Packers. It has been reported he doesn’t talk much to his family. No problem to put the Packers on that short list also.

Zool
05-01-2021, 10:24 AM
He shouldn't be allowed to draft any players where there is an established starter, they also might have their feelings hurt.

Hard to believe both Smiths played in 2019 after they took Gary in the first. They just signed with GB and Glutes immediately drafts their replacement.

Fritz
05-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Agreed. But Rodgers doesn't want to defuse the situation - hell, he's the one who lit the fuse.

I wonder if he's trying to punish the team for last year's drafting of Love and then trying to get them to make up for it by giving him a big, sloppy, public BJ while forking over a generous contract extension that guarantees he's the QB in Green Bay for the next five years.

Like you said, it's not about money. But the money, in the world we're in, represents respect. And Rodgers, as always, feels disrespected.

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Seems he has a very fragile ego.

Bossman641
05-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Rodgers has essentially now said the only way he's coming back is if Gute is gone? If so, fuck him. No player is bigger then the organization.

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Rodgers has essentially now said the only way he's coming back is if Gute is gone? If so, fuck him. No player is bigger then the organization.

Where'd you see this?

I was in fuck Erin Rodgers on Page One of this.

Fuck Bert. Fuck Erin.

Bossman641
05-01-2021, 11:14 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/if-packers-remain-dug-in-against-trading-aaron-rodgers-a-holdout-or-retirement-is-possible-061232959.html?ncid=twitter_yahoosport_dw14wrbb51g

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 11:21 AM
I read just enough to puke in my mouth.

This is what happens when you get surrounded by 'yes-men', it distorts your reality.

If there is merit to the story, he thinks he gets to choose his boss. Lol.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Hard to believe both Smiths played in 2019 after they took Gary in the first. They just signed with GB and Glutes immediately drafts their replacement.

Stupid move to draft Gary. If they drafted a player at a position that would have maybe started as a rookie, they might have won it all that year. The Smiths should be demanding a trade.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 11:25 AM

Whoa! Big gulps, eh? Well, see you later!

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 11:27 AM
Stupid move to draft Gary. If they drafted a player at a position that would have maybe started as a rookie, the might shave won it all that year. The Smiths should be demanding a trade.

I can't tell, is this is sarcasm?

Packers4Glory
05-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Yeah. He’s bigger than some sad sack GM. Get real. He proves he has no clue about leadership when they blindsided Rodgers in the draft.

Bossman641
05-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Whoa! Big gulps, eh? Well, see you later!

Nice set of hooters you got there.
The owls, they're beautiful

Packers4Glory
05-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Stupid move to draft Gary. If they drafted a player at a position that would have maybe started as a rookie, they might have won it all that year. The Smiths should be demanding a trade.

Not even close to the same thing. GTFO

Defensive players rotate in & out. QB’s don’t. But Gary was a stupid pick. I was screaming for Metcalf. We got a project instead of immediate need after signing that same position dot big money in FA. Made zero sense. Not to mention Gary was at best 4th on the depth chart at that time

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 11:47 AM

Me either.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Not even close to the same thing. GTFO

Defensive players rotate in & out. QB’s don’t. But Gary was a stupid pick. I was screaming for Metcalf. We got a project instead of immediate need after signing that same position dot big money in FA. Made zero sense. Not to mention Gary was at best 4th on the depth chart at that time

And yet, Gary was a significant contibutor to the team that was a play or so way from the Superbowl last year, and could be even more impactful this year.

Fritz
05-01-2021, 11:51 AM

Pretty sure Sharpe is being sarcastic and thus is agreeing with your point.

I saw also that the "big, sloppy, public" blow job Rodgers is demanding in order to come back to the team (in addition of course to the extension) is that Gutekunst be fired.

Wow.

Now, I will say that Gutekunst and the Pack really fucked up last year - as soon as Gutes knew he was drafting a QB, it would've behooved him and the team for Gutes to place a phone call to Rodgers and let him know what the move was, and assure him it was for down the road, Aaron, you're our guy, etc. etc. You don't do that for everyone on the team, of course, but for Rodgers it was warranted.

But I also am of the opinion that Rodgers's ginormous and fragile ego is mostly the problem. Of course he knows the Packers will not fire Gutekunst. Rodgers is simply trying to force his way out. Now that firing Gutes is one of his prime conditions, and that's been made public, it seems clear Rodgers is really trying to force his way out.

And so the Packers probably should trade him after June 1st when the cap year changes (I think that's the date). They should be able to get a good return. After all, they can tell teams that if they don't trade Rodgers, they'll let him sit the year out. For a 37 year-old-guy, that's a big loss. And it's one less year other teams would have with Rodgers.

Maybe send him to the Raiders, and get as many high-end picks as you can plus David Carr, who can fill in this year while Loverboy gets up to speed. Maybe they'll throw in one other young player who can lift that defensive line. I don't know who they have, though. Heck, even if you get first round draft picks starting in 2023, that's okay. This has become about the longer term good of the team.

But that last paragraph is just me fan-speculating on what I'd like to see. The bigger picture is that it's clear now that this rift is one that Rodgers will work to widen, and it's in the Packers' best interest to trade him this summer. Now that Rodgers has let it be known that he wants Gutes gone as a condition of his return - well, it's over. Hell, even if you could get Rodgers to come back for the season, it would be poison - like the summer Favre came back to camp.

Short-circuit that scenario by saying nice things about Rodgers in public from now until after June first. Say he's your guy, say he's the best, hope you can mend things. Meanwhile, work the phones. Tell teams you want a mint and you're willing to let Rodgers rot at home with his fiance this season if you don't get what he's really worth as a player.

Then ship his ass out of here, get a vet to step in this season, and go on from there.

Fritz
05-01-2021, 11:54 AM
I'll risk posting twice in a row to add one caveat: if in the back corner of Mark Murphy's head he's been thinking he's not really thrilled with Gutekunst's work as GM, and someone else would be better, wouldn't this be your perfect "out"? Fire Gutes, give Russ Ball or someone else the job, be clear to the public that Rodgers had no say in the choice of the new GM, get Rodgers to come back with an extension, all is love and butterflies again, and you got rid of the guy you secretly weren't happy with.

ThunderDan
05-01-2021, 12:03 PM
Agreed. But Rodgers doesn't want to defuse the situation - hell, he's the one who lit the fuse.

I wonder if he's trying to punish the team for last year's drafting of Love and then trying to get them to make up for it by giving him a big, sloppy, public BJ while forking over a generous contract extension that guarantees he's the QB in Green Bay for the next five years.

Like you said, it's not about money. But the money, in the world we're in, represents respect. And Rodgers, as always, feels disrespected.

That’s why I think ARod has played his last snap for GB. He didn’t defuse it meaning he wanted it out there.

ThunderDan
05-01-2021, 12:06 PM
I'll risk posting twice in a row to add one caveat: if in the back corner of Mark Murphy's head he's been thinking he's not really thrilled with Gutekunst's work as GM, and someone else would be better, wouldn't this be your perfect "out"? Fire Gutes, give Russ Ball or someone else the job, be clear to the public that Rodgers had no say in the choice of the new GM, get Rodgers to come back with an extension, all is love and butterflies again, and you got rid of the guy you secretly weren't happy with.

Interesting thought. I’ll add on to it. What if you are on the Board of Directors and you think Murphy fucked up the end of TT (waited a year or two too long), fucked up the restructure of duties and fucked up with the GM pick?

Do you vote Murphy out and let the new President pick a new GM?

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Me either.

lol

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 12:14 PM
Interesting thought. I’ll add on to it. What if you are on the Board of Directors and you think Murphy fucked up the end of TT (waited a year or two too long), fucked up the restructure of duties and fucked up with the GM pick?

Murphy is part of the problem, IMO.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 12:27 PM

What a terrible precedent to set.

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 12:33 PM
I'm all for trading Erin for a boat-load of picks.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 12:57 PM
I'm all for trading Erin for a boat-load of picks.

Yep. I'm also for giving him a second chance if he rethinks things and wants to come back. I hope for the latter, but expect the former

ZachMN
05-01-2021, 12:58 PM
FWIW all of the players in this situation are out of line. MM fucked up keeping fat mike around too long then setting up this dysfunctional triangle of authority bs. Erin is pissed and behaving badly because he knows precious time of his career was wasted. MM should have been smart enough to know how drafting Love would look but also be smart enough to know where the roster was and what was needed. When you have this type of talent you maximize it for as long as its running the future be damned. That being said if anyone here thinks the two seasons prior to last year gave anyone confidence in Erin you are ignorant. Nagler had some Tweets where Erin was one hopping balls and missing guys all over. No one is bigger than the team and that includes Erin, MM and Gute who from where I stand gets a D so far. This team has needed someone who can evaluate D talent and understand how much Defense matters. It's what won the SB last year absolutely. Erin with that type of D and milquetoast Offensive talent wins 3 SB easily.

ThunderDan
05-01-2021, 12:58 PM
What a terrible precedent to set.

Absolutely, but with no owner the BOD has a duty to the franchise only. If you really think Murphy has mucked this all up, you need to hold him responsible.

I would guess if the Packers struggle the next few years, the Board cleans out the whole front office and starts again.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Absolutely, but with no owner the BOD has a duty to the franchise only. If you really think Murphy has mucked this all up, you need to hold him responsible.

I would guess if the Packers struggle the next few years, the Board cleans out the whole front office and starts again.

Do it, but not because your being given ultimatum by a player. They can clean it out after the dust settles in this BS.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Should have traded him to Denver and got Fields.

Packers4Glory
05-01-2021, 01:10 PM
And yet, Gary was a significant contibutor to the team that was a play or so way from the Superbowl last year, and could be even more impactful this year.

Didn’t change The fact it was a dumb pick. You don’t draft a B project player in round 1 on a team that should contend for a SB after spending the most FA money you’ve ever spent on the same position plus you had Kyle F still on the roster. Come on. Stop being a blind apologist. Everyone who is anyone sees this & how they’ve basically miss handled Rodgers entire career.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Should have traded him to Denver and got Fields.

Might still happen. Open it up to the highest bidder.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Didn’t change The fact it was a dumb pick. You don’t draft a B project player in round 1 on a team that should contend for a SB after spending the most FA money you’ve ever spent on the same position plus you had Kyle F still on the roster. Come on. Stop being a blind apologist. Everyone who is anyone sees this & how they’ve basically miss handled Rodgers entire career.

Blind apologist. Whatever. Bye Felicia.

Packers4Glory
05-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Its being reported from several sources that Aaron to Denver is almost done. A lot depends on what Murphy ultimately decides. I don’t think Rodgers id bluffing. Soo they either fire the GM or trade him or get nothing & he sits. Nothing about his personality says he’s bluffing.

Packers4Glory
05-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Blind apologist. Whatever. Bye Felicia.

I will take that as you gave nothing to intelligently refute any of that

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 01:15 PM
I will take that as you gave nothing to intelligently refute any of that

That's how I viewed your prior post.

run pMc
05-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Wait another month. They won't trade him until June 1 because of cap implications. While I doubt they want to trade him AFTER the draft has happened, I could see them do that if he puts up a huge stink entering training camp.
Either way, I doubt Rodgers is a Packer a year from now.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:41 PM
I'm kind of over the Rodgers drama. It's a broken system. No loyalty. It's not family. But they try to connect as family when it's not that. You're always gonna have issues when you sugar coat a cold business as a family affair. It's like everything else in this society, broken.

I'd take a loyal, losing team every time. But we’re not gonna get that.

Rodgers has had a great career in Green Bay. He could have had the Stafford experience. I understand his money grab and discontent with the love pick. But everyone else has to deal with that too. Aaron Jones is just as good of a guy and committed winner and he didn't get a call on contract eve when they drafted Dillon.

Ultimately, when trapped in a broken, heartless business, some tough pills are gonna have to he swallowed. Rodgers will drop off and his best chance at a truly legendary finish to his career is to swallow the business pill and show up.

If he takes his ball and goes home, its understandable. He has the money to not have to play this game. But if he wants to get some more records and career medals of honor, he’ll probably have to sit tight and swallow a bitter pill. The team will respect him more if he lives by the same standards. His legend will grow.

I hope he stays but I’ll deal with whatever.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:45 PM
And this in no way means I like the business

But every time Rodgers signs a big contract to be the highest paid player in the league, he agrees to those years and numbers. The reality is that it is a business and unless he just hangs it up and goes to jeopardy, he’s probably gonna have to come back to play in Green Bay.

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 01:54 PM
Everyone, repeat after me:

"Mad, you were right. Erin Rodgers is a bitch."

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Sheeeesh, RG, now you too? I thought you had better sense than most of the whiners in here. There has not been one word from Rodgers himself about this shit. Neither I nor any of us knows him, but based on what we do see of him, the shit being ascribed to him just isn't very believable. Everybody on the Packers side denies anything is gonna happen. The Niners GM just put out a statement that they called like the rumor, but it was a very short conversation - a quick no.

Even if there is something to the frustration and bad feeling, crap like this almost always gets resolved. I'm very much ready to hate Gutekunst and Murphy if that doesn't happen, but I fully expect that as competent professionals dealing with a possibly pissed off but thoroughly intelligent superstar who nowadays has more roots in Wisconsin than anywhere else, they will get a deal done before the season, and we will still have Rodgers for many years to come. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and the team goes in the toilet regardless of anything else, but at this point, I'd absolutely still bet on Rodgers and the Packers brass and against the media pukes.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:59 PM
Sheeeesh, RG, now you too? I thought you had better sense than most of the whiners in here. There has not been one word from Rodgers himself about this shit. Neither I nor any of us knows him, but based on what we do see of him, the shit being ascribed to him just isn't very believable. Everybody on the Packers side denies anything is gonna happen. The Niners GM just put out a statement that they called like the rumor, but it was a very short conversation - a quick no.

Even if there is something to the frustration and bad feeling, crap like this almost always gets resolved. I'm very much ready to hate Gutekunst and Murphy if that doesn't happen, but I fully expect that as competent professionals dealing with a possibly pissed off but thoroughly intelligent superstar who nowadays has more roots in Wisconsin than anywhere else, they will get a deal done before the season, and we will still have Rodgers for many years to come. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and the team goes in the toilet regardless of anything else, but at this point, I'd absolutely still bet on Rodgers and the Packers brass and against the media pukes.

I kind of agree. I see him playing in Green Bay. And the whole lockerroom will respect him more for being tough enough to play by the same rules as Jones and the rest of the team of good guys stuck in a tough business.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Let's see. The part that bothers me is Rodgers could end this shit show in 30 seconds flat with a short statement, but he hasn't bothered. Even if it's not true at all, he's letting it sit out there longer than necessary.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Let's see. The part that bothers me is Rodgers could end this shit show in 30 seconds flat with a short statement, but he hasn't bothered. Even if it's not true at all, he's letting it sit out there longer than necessary.

Him and his agent will never have more negotiating power for more money than they do now, coming off the MVP. He’s making a power play but he’s stuck under contract. The Love pick makes him feel like they don’t have loyalty and now he has to get his money while he can.

Rastak
05-01-2021, 03:13 PM

He declined to speak today while attending the Kentucky Derby. Mike Tirico said he indicated to him he was unhappy that word got out about the rift between he and the Packers, which is kind of rich because it could only have come from his camp.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 03:16 PM
His value will get lower from here. Gute had a chance to really stack the team for Love, or better yet Fields. Didn’t do it. Now, Rodgers will probably retire because he tried to get himself traded to SF, and it backfired.

Airin' Rodgers
05-01-2021, 03:24 PM
He declined to speak today while attending the Kentucky Derby. Mike Tirico said he indicated to him he was unhappy that word got out about the rift between he and the Packers, which is kind of rich because it could only have come from his camp.

Not true. Wilde who is pretty tied into the Packers says he thinks the leak came from the organization.

I have no idea but both sides could have had motives for leaking it.

Rastak
05-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Not true. Wilde who is pretty tied into the Packers says he thinks the leak came from the organization.

I have no idea but both sides could have had motives for leaking it.

Why on earth would they do that? I mean, that could be right but wouldn't that just make him twice as pissed? The guy isn't happy unless he is pissed as it is.

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 03:45 PM
I don't see any upside for the organization to leak this.

red
05-01-2021, 03:49 PM
And the plot thickens

Again, all this crap has been going on all off-season and we just heard about it Thursday. So both sides have really been keeping things right lipped until then

Maybe it was just someone close to rodgers that spilled the beans without his blessing, or some lower person in the team that knew

What we do know is that it has made, arod, murphy, gutey, and matty all look really bad

red
05-01-2021, 03:51 PM

To see if they could get any good offers?

The team did come out Thursday night and said they had gotten calls but no offers

Fritz
05-01-2021, 03:54 PM

Tex says "based on what we do see of him [Rodgers], the shit being ascribed to him just isn't believable."

I say the opposite: based on what we know of Rodgers, the shit being ascribed to him - having his camp leak this, then pretending to be mad that word got out so he can pretend to be the innocent - is very believable. Very.

I know they're losing trade value but I still think if you tell teams if they don't pony up you'll just let Rodgers sit on his ass at home for 2021, someone will be too tempted and give up the farm for the chance at Rodgers. Why let a year go by with Rodgers losing a season and getting older?

red
05-01-2021, 03:56 PM
Wait another month. They won't trade him until June 1 because of cap implications. While I doubt they want to trade him AFTER the draft has happened, I could see them do that if he puts up a huge stink entering training camp.
Either way, I doubt Rodgers is a Packer a year from now.

But why wait?

If we trade him, we're not gonna be contenders this year

May as well get his cap number off the books now, then start fresh in 2022

Fritz
05-01-2021, 03:57 PM
I think it's because the new cap year starts in June or something like that. Someone here said if they wait the cap hit will go way down after June 1st. That's why.

red
05-01-2021, 04:01 PM
I think it's because the new cap year starts in June or something like that. Someone here said if they wait the cap hit will go way down after June 1st. That's why.
Yeah the cap hit gets split, half this year, half next

What I'm saying is why not just take it all now since we aren't gonna be contenders this year. Then next year he is cometely off the book.

Otherwise, well have almost 15 million in cap space free this year, to sign no one decent, and then next year we'll have almost 15 million of the cap taken by a guy not on the team

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 04:13 PM

Might be someone going rogue. Takes one individual that wants to feel important to have someone break ranks, or that's pissed at something or someone.

Packers4Glory
05-01-2021, 05:57 PM
Its all about PR. Oh we tried but Aaron is being blah blah. Everyone I’ve heard talk that are insiders & former players think the team leaked it.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Who leaked it? The far more likely scenario is nobody leaked anything. Some media piece of shit conjured it up, and the rest of the media assholes ran with it.

Rodgers refused to comment today at the Kentucky Derby, and yet another media puke detects that Rodgers is unhappy about the story ....... sheeeesh.

Rastak
05-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Who leaked it? The far more likely scenario is nobody leaked anything. Some media piece of shit conjured it up, and the rest of the media assholes ran with it.

Rodgers refused to comment today at the Kentucky Derby, and yet another media puke detects that Rodgers is unhappy about the story ....... sheeeesh.

Dude, you live in a fantasy land. He straight up said he's not happy this shit got out. He did NOT say it's bullhit. Jesus H Christ, you live in a world where everything you want to happen is true.

call_me_ishmael
05-01-2021, 08:23 PM
And the plot thickens

Again, all this crap has been going on all off-season and we just heard about it Thursday. So both sides have really been keeping things right lipped until then

Maybe it was just someone close to rodgers that spilled the beans without his blessing, or some lower person in the team that knew

What we do know is that it has made, arod, murphy, gutey, and matty all look really bad

I really don't think Schefter would have ran the story without several sources. Why would he blow his million + dollar a year gig? He definitely had the sources.

Zool
05-01-2021, 08:46 PM
Dude, you live in a fantasy land. He straight up said he's not happy this shit got out. He did NOT say it's bullhit. Jesus H Christ, you live in a world where everything you want to happen is true.

Confirmation bias is a bitch sometimes.

Zool
05-01-2021, 08:47 PM

I've been mulling this over and I can't come up with anything that makes sense other than Rodgers is still pissed about Love and wanted to take some shine off the Packers' draft. Why else would it happen 2 hours before the first round started?

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 08:52 PM
To see if they could get any good offers?

The team did come out Thursday night and said they had gotten calls but no offers

That would be because the team was not taking any formal offers; teams wanted to try

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 08:54 PM
His value will get lower from here. Gute had a chance to really stack the team for Love, or better yet Fields. Didn’t do it. .

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

MadtownPacker
05-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Everyone, repeat after me:

"Mad, you were right. Erin Rodgers is a bitch."
:clap::clap::clap:

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 11:42 PM
I could be wrong, and this shit could all be true ...... but I doubt it, and I sure as hell am not gonna believe it because media trash says so. If it does happen, then the Packers are down the toilet for the foreseeable future, Gutekunst and maybe Murphy are to blame, and the good citizens of Green Bay should run them out of town, give them the treatment they gave Dan Devine' s dog for ruining the team.

A week or a month from now, this shitstorm will all be over, and Rodgers will be extended for a decent amount of time.

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 11:59 PM
I've been mulling this over and I can't come up with anything that makes sense other than Rodgers is still pissed about Love and wanted to take some shine off the Packers' draft. Why else would it happen 2 hours before the first round started?

This. No one in the organization would create this type of distraction immediately before the draft.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 12:05 AM
Glazer knew about it. Its not bs. That guy knows shit before most anyone. He doesn’t really do the breaking news on Twitter stuff

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 12:13 AM
This. No one in the organization would create this type of distraction immediately before the draft.

Nobody happy with their job. Could be someone that's pissed they didn't get promoted or some shit.

Freak Out
05-02-2021, 12:14 AM
Ego can really fuck up a great situation.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2021, 12:27 AM

And have every major reporter be prepped and prepared on the topic to discuss as soon as the story broke. This was obviously coordinated.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2021, 12:30 AM
The irony of the whole thing is if Rodgers really doesn't play for them, they're gonna go like 4-12 and be picking top 5 and probably take a better QB prospect than Love anyway lol. The Love Machine can't win lol.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2021, 12:35 AM
Here's the Tirico video. Tex it is insane you think this is made up. Stock. Mark Murphy even released a statement about it. Good lord.

https://twitter.com/MattyHip/status/1388573106474790914

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 06:47 AM
And have every major reporter be prepped and prepared on the topic to discuss as soon as the story broke. This was obviously coordinated.

You could give them a story about aliens rigging all the games and they'd all run with it just the same. No prep needed.

Bossman641
05-02-2021, 07:23 AM
Here's the Tirico video. Tex it is insane you think this is made up. Stock. Mark Murphy even released a statement about it. Good lord.

Agreed, neither side has tried to argue the situation doesn't exist. The Packers say they're working through it and are committed to Rodgers long term. Rodgers said he's disappointed the news came out.

How Tex takes all that info and thinks it's made up is mind boggling.

Fritz
05-02-2021, 09:50 AM
Well, the dance has begun. I read this morning that Gutekunst said he's really disappointed that everyone's attributing this "I-want-Gute-Fired" to Arod - Gutes says he thinks it's unfair to Aaron.

So the strategy is clear: the Packers are going to try to bend over and accommodate Rodgers as much as possible without firing Gutekunst. So Gutekunst has begun with the above statement - poor Aaron! - as well as yesterday's admission that he should've handled the Love draft moment better (and he's right; he should well have known that giving Rodgers a heads-up was a courtesy Rodgers would expect and one that would cost nothing). So: conveniently blame the media, tell Aaron you fucked up the way the Love pick went down, and the next step will be most likely a contract extension that will be far above and beyond, in money and years, anything we could've reasonably expected. Only Tex will think such a contract right and proper. Rodgers will then come out and also blame the media for the stuff his side leaked out, and so everything will be papered over for a year or maybe two. But by participating in this, if I am right that this is the "strategy," the Packers are taking a real gamble.

At this point, the sloppy, public BJ has begun. Some will squirm and turn away from the spectacle; others, like Tex, will be mildly turned on.

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 10:04 AM
Interesting take Fritz. If it where me, I'd be killing Arod with kindness right up to the point I negotiated a fair deal or pulled off a massive trade. Worsening the public spectacle only hurts the Packers' position. The more of this taking the high road the Packers do, the worse Rodgers will look if he wants to drag them through the mud. We'll see.

bobblehead
05-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Well, the dance has begun. I read this morning that Gutekunst said he's really disappointed that everyone's attributing this "I-want-Gute-Fired" to Arod - Gutes says he thinks it's unfair to Aaron.

So the strategy is clear: the Packers are going to try to bend over and accommodate Rodgers as much as possible without firing Gutekunst. So Gutekunst has begun with the above statement - poor Aaron! - as well as yesterday's admission that he should've handled the Love draft moment better (and he's right; he should well have known that giving Rodgers a heads-up was a courtesy Rodgers would expect and one that would cost nothing). So: conveniently blame the media, tell Aaron you fucked up the way the Love pick went down, and the next step will be most likely a contract extension that will be far above and beyond, in money and years, anything we could've reasonably expected. Only Tex will think such a contract right and proper. Rodgers will then come out and also blame the media for the stuff his side leaked out, and so everything will be papered over for a year or maybe two. But by participating in this, if I am right that this is the "strategy," the Packers are taking a real gamble.

At this point, the sloppy, public BJ has begun. Some will squirm and turn away from the spectacle; others, like Tex, will be mildly turned on.

By saying "poor arod" Gutes is challenging him to own it. Basically saying its not true at all and Arod would NEVER say something like that. Very smart. ARod won't publicly own it, so gutes saying its horseshit stands as the only truth.

Fritz
05-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Like I said, the dance has begun.

But if Arod really does push this any much further, perhaps the Packers will start exploring the trade market before June kicks in, so they've got an out. But of course they have to do so very quietly.

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 10:17 AM
What Bobble said is a better way of explaining what I meant. They should be doing this kindness approach regardless of what they intend to do.

bobblehead
05-02-2021, 10:21 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-trade-rumors-potential-broncos-raiders-packages-to-acquire-star-packers-quarterback/

DE Maxx Crosby, S Johnathan Abram, 2022 first, 2023 first, 2024 first, 2022 third

they have many scenarios, but this one would be palatable to me. Anything involving bringing in a high contract QB is a waste.

Fritz
05-02-2021, 10:34 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-trade-rumors-potential-broncos-raiders-packages-to-acquire-star-packers-quarterback/

DE Maxx Crosby, S Johnathan Abram, 2022 first, 2023 first, 2024 first, 2022 third

they have many scenarios, but this one would be palatable to me. Anything involving bringing in a high contract QB is a waste.

Thanks for posting that article. After going through it, I'd agree with you - this package upgrades that defense immediately and immensely, plus you get those picks. Find some old retread to start at QB this year and field a competetive team that is an old-school type of team.

Next year, you unleash the Love machine with what should be a helluva supporting cast.

red
05-02-2021, 10:36 AM
Thanks for posting that article. After going through it, I'd agree with you - this package upgrades that defense immediately and immensely, plus you get those picks. Find some old retread to start at QB this year and field a competetive team that is an old-school type of team.

Next year, you unleash the Love machine with what should be a helluva supporting cast.

I would say, take this opportunity to tank a year and pick up a better draft picks for a year

Freak Out
05-02-2021, 10:50 AM
Play Love and run the ball a ton. They have the horses. Coach the hell out of him and see what he's got.

Fritz
05-02-2021, 10:51 AM
I would say, take this opportunity to tank a year and pick up a better draft picks for a year

Red goin' the NBA route.

I read an interesting article a few years ago in which the writer analyzed the tank as a strategy. The conclusion was that it generally does not get teams any further ahead than playing to win each year.

Not sure if I agree, but in this case I think the Packers are talented enough - if they get a couple more young studs out of a trade - that it would not be worth a tank job. I could see a 10-6 team that plays like it's the 70's - lots of running and a tough defense.

But I could be wrong. Last time I thought that, McGinn wrote an article to the effect that the Packers were finally talented enough that they could weather a Rodgers injury. Then Rodgers got injured and the team went like 2-6 or something.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2021, 11:12 AM

I watched that video, and it's the same one I saw yesterday. First of all, not one word actually from Rodgers' mouth. Secondly, even if you take every word from Tirico's mouth at face value, it backs up what I've been saying: much ado about very little; possibly Rodgers is justifiably pissed off, but he says he "loves Green Bay and the organization" - nothing remotely about wanting to leave or wanting to get Gutekunst fired. Tirico also said - presumably his take on it after talking to Rodgers - that this thing should get settle in the next couple of weeks. Why would anybody seeing this video think is supports any of the idiotic shit being spewed? Just in general, few things in sports or in the world in general are lower than news media people, yet a lot of ya'all seem to believe those bastards like gospel. That's pretty fucked up.

Fritz, to a great extent, I agree with your post above ("the dance has begun" one). If "only Tex" takes the position I take, then that makes everybody else either dead wrong or not having the balls to post obvious normality and common sense. It's a little disturbing that people are ready to basically throw Rodgers under the bus as well as basically call Gutekunst and LaFleur liars in their comments about this just because some media assholes say something. As for the Packers "bending over and accommodate Rodgers as much as possible without firing Gutekunst", hell yeah, why would they not? And all of them "conveniently blaming the media"? That also would be perfectly justified, because the God damned media bastards, even if they didn't just conjure this up out of thin air - which they still may well have, blew it way out of proportion for no reason other than to do harm to the team and its best player that we all love - or should.

George Cumby
05-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Make it happen, Ted!

I like it.

Kill Erin with kindness.

Then trade the bitch for a shit ton of value and reload for the next decade.

Sparkey
05-02-2021, 11:50 AM
Tirico also said - presumably his take on it after talking to Rodgers - that this thing should get settle in the next couple of weeks.

You should listen to the video again because that is not what he said.....Seems media pukes aren't the only ones that report infon in a way that fits a narrative.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Exact words from the video: "we'll watch closely over the next couple of weeks how this plays out". That's different from what I said?

red
05-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Silverstein was just interviewed on espn radio and said things were "irreconcilable"

He also said he doesn't think love will be the starter this year if rodgers is traded

Sparkey
05-02-2021, 04:01 PM
Exact words from the video: "we'll watch closely over the next couple of weeks how this plays out". That's different from what I said?

Things should get settled

We'll see how things play out

They are far different, at least to me.

One infers things will be resolved the other says let's wait and see what happens.

George Cumby
05-02-2021, 04:25 PM
Silverstein was just interviewed on espn radio and said things were "irreconcilable"

He also said he doesn't think love will be the starter this year if rodgers is traded

Oof.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 05:00 PM
All leaked by the team to try & save face & make Rodgers the bad guy for when he’s traded. Some of you bought it. Lol

Bossman641
05-02-2021, 05:58 PM
All leaked by the team to try & save face & make Rodgers the bad guy for when he’s traded. Some of you bought it. Lol

So management brought back almost the entire team so they can then trade Rodgers, take a huge cap hit, and hand it over to Love? That's really your take on it all?

Rastak
05-02-2021, 06:02 PM
So management brought back almost the entire team so they can then trade Rodgers, take a huge cap hit, and hand it over to Love? That's really your take on it all?

It is a nutty take to be honest.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 06:06 PM

It’s not as bad if it’s in June. Idk of Love is getting handed anything. I’m sure he’ll have to compete. Really depends on what they get back. They had no business bringing back Jones Asher the Dillon pick. They simply have no plan which is the problem. Too much of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

If i guessed its probably because they realized this situation isn’t getting fixed after they thought they could by meeting. Now it’sPR spin time. Not nutty if you think it through

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Everyone seems to say the team leaked it. Apparently he’s not happy about that either which led me to think there was still a shot. Now. Not soo much. Cats out of the bag which is why he’s not happy it got out.

King Friday
05-02-2021, 06:14 PM
If Rodgers truly has respect for the organization, then at some point he will have to acknowledge this is an enormous mistake on his part. The average Joe has to work with management they don't like on a regular basis. This comes off as extremely elitist and asshole on Rodgers' part. The bottom line is the Packers have the talent on the roster to win a title, so the organization can't be all bad. If the Packers stuck to their guns and force him to either come back or engage in a lengthy, moronic holdout...Rodgers will have a very difficult decision to make.

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Everyone seems to say the team leaked it. Apparently he’s not happy about that either which led me to think there was still a shot. Now. Not soo much. Cats out of the bag which is why he’s not happy it got out.

Who exactly is "everyone?"

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 06:34 PM

Certainly. Why wouldn't they try to force Rodger's hand when they have the least leverage? It only makes sense.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Who exactly is "everyone?"

General consensus from what I’ve heard on various shows. Really it doesn’t matter other than trying to use it to formulate where things truly stand.

According to mark Schlereth rodgers texted him asking what he heard about the possible Denver trade

"who's your source? what are you hearing?"

I'm like this is what I heard.. Is it true? You want to come over & get dinner? ��

He didn't pour cold water on it he said I'll let you know as soon as I know" ~

Not evidence or exactly the sane thing as who leaked the original news but this is a apparently pretty well sourced rumor that Rodgers didn’t know about on the back end

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 06:46 PM
First thing I found with a google search. Apparently, it's not everyone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/01/aaron-rodgers-expresses-disappointment-that-news-of-packers-rift-has-emerged/amp/

It’s too late for catch phrases like “beautiful mystery,” too late for him to try to walk back the various items of news that strategically have been leaked. The most significant twists definitely didn’t come from the team; they came from Rodgers or his representatives.

Bossman641
05-02-2021, 06:53 PM
It’s not as bad if it’s in June. Idk of Love is getting handed anything. I’m sure he’ll have to compete. Really depends on what they get back. They had no business bringing back Jones Asher the Dillon pick. They simply have no plan which is the problem. Too much of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

If i guessed its probably because they realized this situation isn’t getting fixed after they thought they could by meeting. Now it’sPR spin time. Not nutty if you think it through

So management leaked it and has now had Gute, Murphy, and Lafleur talk to the media and acknowledge the issues but stand adamant that they have no interest in trading him? And did this all the day of the draft, completely taking Packer fans excitement away from incoming players hoping to push the team over the top? That is really some next level strategy from the management team.

Rastak
05-02-2021, 06:56 PM
So management leaked it and has now had Gute, Murphy, and Lafleur talk to the media and acknowledge the issues but stand adamant that they have no interest in trading him? And did this all the day of the draft, completely taking Packer fans excitement away from incoming players hoping to push the team over the top? That is really some next level strategy from the management team.

Makes zero sense as you know.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Yeah it’s interesting the packers are trotting everyone out in front of the camera to talk. Meanwhile Rodgers hasn’t addressed it yet.

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 06:58 PM
Makes zero sense as you know.

Lol ok

as i said. It really doesn’t matter who leaked what

Packers4Glory
05-02-2021, 07:07 PM
All they had to do was go for broke. Push All chips in the past 2 going on 3 seasons. They didn’t. Gute & company decided they needed to build their own legacy for after Rodgers retires. It’s criminal & the fact any fan could be happy with the previous 2 drafts & specifically there 2020 draft is beyond comprehension. That’s universal outside of the fringe fans.

Bossman641
05-02-2021, 07:09 PM
99% sure it's coming from the Rodgers team. He knew mgmt would be talking to media as a result of the draft. Leak it, watch them twist in the wind, and get revenge for drafting Love.

That makes 1000 times more sense then the organization leaking it. There's literally no reason for them to do it. The Draft is one of the biggest days of excitement for fanbases. There's no way they sabotage that excitement, put their own necks in the media guillotine, and set a time clock over their heads to June 1st, which is realistically the first day they can trade him. And they do all this with a single qb on the roster. The mental gymnastics to make that argument are astounding.

Rutnstrut
05-02-2021, 07:54 PM
I used to say that the front office is happy with the status quo and will never do what it takes to win. Many here would comment how they were doing plenty and that making the playoffs each season was enough. Yeah how's that going?

Rastak
05-02-2021, 08:04 PM
Two straight NFC title games perhaps?

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2021, 08:45 PM
Silverstein has had a negative personal take about Aaron Rodgers as long as I can remember. It seems personal for him. In other ways he's a good reporter, but I find it very hard to take anything he says about Rodgers at face value.

King Friday
05-02-2021, 09:13 PM
Yeah it’s interesting the packers are trotting everyone out in front of the camera to talk. Meanwhile Rodgers hasn’t addressed it yet.

Because as I pointed out...it makes him look like a huge asshole and whiner. Matt Stafford went through hell in Detroit for years. Did you hear a peep out of him? What about any QB in the Bears organization?

The Packers aren't trotting everyone out to the cameras, you moron. It is a requirement of the draft proceedings...which is precisely why the Rodgers camp leaked this. He knew they would be forced to all have to stand in front of a camera and get a dozen questions about this.

sharpe1027
05-02-2021, 09:18 PM
I used to say that the front office is happy with the status quo and will never do what it takes to win. Many here would comment how they were doing plenty and that making the playoffs each season was enough. Yeah how's that going?

So tired of this narrative. So unimaginative. So black and white, as if any move with a longer horizon than one year means they don't want to win now.

Do I want them to win a superbowl, yes. Does the fact that they didn't win it mean they could have done something better, yes, every year.

Do I think making the playoffs is enough? What the hell does that even mean? They could lose every game and I'd still be a fan, so that's enough in some sense.

Here's the important part, do I want to burn the house down and start with an new organization, top to bottom, because they didn't win a superbowl? No. We're not there yet and it would set us back enough that we'd almost for sure not win it all before Rodgers gets too old.

Anyway, if people think overhauling the front office is a path to immediate success, I want some of what they are smoking. We'd be hiring someone that failed somewhere else, or someone with less experience. No thanks. Maybe in a few years.

Upnorth
05-03-2021, 07:16 AM
Two straight NFC title games perhaps?

Great perspective from a non spoiled fan.

run pMc
05-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Great perspective from a non spoiled fan.

Agree. As I've said elsewhere, many fans -- and organizations -- would be thrilled to make the NFCCG two years in a row... or 4 times since 2014. Ask the Lions, Bengals or the Browns.

Hey Rastak -- is Kirk Cousins putting up a stink since the Vikes drafted Kellen Mond? How many fingers of scotch did he pour?

Packers4Glory
05-03-2021, 08:15 AM
Because as I pointed out...it makes him look like a huge asshole and whiner. Matt Stafford went through hell in Detroit for years. Did you hear a peep out of him? What about any QB in the Bears organization?

The Packers aren't trotting everyone out to the cameras, you moron. It is a requirement of the draft proceedings...which is precisely why the Rodgers camp leaked this. He knew they would be forced to all have to stand in front of a camera and get a dozen questions about this. i'm sorry dipshit. I didn't realize the Lions were super bowl contenders at any real point. how many 1st round talents did they provide Stafford with during his career? I honestly don't know. I do know they were never super bowl contenders, nor did they draft his replacement and not even give him a heads up they were about to do it.

Packers4Glory
05-03-2021, 08:22 AM
Agree. As I've said elsewhere, many fans -- and organizations -- would be thrilled to make the NFCCG two years in a row... or 4 times since 2014. Ask the Lions, Bengals or the Browns.

Hey Rastak -- is Kirk Cousins putting up a stink since the Vikes drafted Kellen Mond? How many fingers of scotch did he pour?don't be so obtuse. It wasn't even that they drafted him, it's not even having the leadership and smarts to give him a heads up. It's not the move you expect from a team 1 win from a SB and other needs to fill. lol wtf

Here's a perspective. Most teams don't have a player like Rodgers who by himself basically gives this team a change to win any game. GB doesn't sniff the NFC title without Rodgers unless you're putting maybe Mahomes there. Brady isn't getting there with this team and it's defense. lol The spoiled part is the QB play we've had since Favre took over and Then Aaron. 2 of the best to ever play the game and you can't figure out why Aaron is mad and how he should just STFU and take it. You will have a hard time convincing anyone but a dumb shit packer fan that anyone not name Mahomes could take this team to back to back title games. Because they have no clue about anything less than HOF QB play.

Spaulding
05-03-2021, 09:23 AM
don't be so obtuse. It wasn't even that they drafted him, it's not even having the leadership and smarts to give him a heads up. It's not the move you expect from a team 1 win from a SB and other needs to fill. lol wtf

Here's a perspective. Most teams don't have a player like Rodgers who by himself basically gives this team a change to win any game. GB doesn't sniff the NFC title without Rodgers unless you're putting maybe Mahomes there. Brady isn't getting there with this team and it's defense. lol The spoiled part is the QB play we've had since Favre took over and Then Aaron. 2 of the best to ever play the game and you can't figure out why Aaron is mad and how he should just STFU and take it. You will have a hard time convincing anyone but a dumb shit packer fan that anyone not name Mahomes could take this team to back to back title games. Because they have no clue about anything less than HOF QB play.

I think you're missing the point. The Packers are an organization that's been around 100 years. QB's have come and gone, front offices have come and gone and many a hall of famer has graced the field for the green and gold.

How many bitched or dictated the organizations direction? We quickly found out in 2008 who were "Packer's" fans and who were "Favre" fans. It's fine to be a fan of a player but admit and own it and recognize that you're a player fan more-so than a team fan. It seems like some put the player above the team.

Also the posts about the front office having an ego are misguided. I remember all the posts about TT having an ego and he was about as far from having a ego as anybody that's every been in the Packer's organization. A quiet very private individual - how does that scream ego??

It's pretty simple really, a GM is rated on their ability to field competitive teams and see the whole picture. The coaches are there to manage the players and provide guidance, instruction and direction to the players and well the players are there to simply execute.

Why players feel the need or right to make personnel decisions seems to be a product of new entitled generation. I get wanting their voice to be heard but a GM is supplemented by the scouting organization and the rest of the front office. Gute might not have been the one to push for Love in the draft (then again maybe he did as ultimately it's his call) but if the board that he and the scouting staff has assembled has Love a top 10 pick and he's there at 26 he makes the tough decision to draft Love to better the team. Does that pick make the team better immediately? But his vision is long term and until this past year it was quite possible that Rodgers play was in decline or his age has made him more vulnerable to injury. Much of this same discussion occurred when we drafted Rodgers in 2005.

How does the selection of a QB in the first round suggest Gute has an ego? If you do months and months of work and build a board (right or wrong on it's rankings) - why would you deviate from it? Also why would Gute or TT have an ego when bottom line they are employed to make the Packers a winning team with the current players are well as future players. Whose to say that Gute didn't have several highly ranks WR's get taken before his draft position or his attempts to move up in those situations were too costly and thus the trade up didn't occur? We never know those details but again unless you're privy to what goes on behind closed doors it's all unfounded accusations.

You can argue that the front office doesn't know what they are doing (maybe you're right) but none of the picks would appear to suggest ego as the basis. Why "stick it" to your HOF QB when you're in the midst of competing for NFC titles?

Bonus question, even if you're the biggest fan of Aaron Rodgers, isn't he in some shape or form throwing his fellow teammates and fanbase under the bus in his requests for trade? We the fans didn't ask for Love nor did Rodgers teammates. Why doesn't the team simply strike for Aaron?

sharpe1027
05-03-2021, 09:27 AM
A true sign you have a winning argument is calling others dipshits and dumb shits. Must really make you feel good about yourself.

smuggler
05-03-2021, 09:34 AM
Spaulding, your post is so comprehensive and well-informed. Bravo!

I'm sure it will piss someone off.

bobblehead
05-03-2021, 09:36 AM
don't be so obtuse. It wasn't even that they drafted him, it's not even having the leadership and smarts to give him a heads up. It's not the move you expect from a team 1 win from a SB and other needs to fill. lol wtf

I'm just going to say this with the intent of hoping it gets through to you. When 6-7 people are telling you that you are wrong, basically nobody is really on your side, and you have gotten to the point where you are getting angry....its possible you are wrong. Take a step back. Try to step out of Aaron's shoes and into the GMs shoes for a second. See his perspective of team building. Its ok to conclude he shouldn't have drafted Love, most of us share that opinion, but the idea that the organization that MADE Rodgers a global superstar owes it to him to bend to his every will...well, just rationally for a second think of it from another angle.

It is possible everyone is wrong and you are right, but if the conversation hasn't exhausted you by now, you are way too emotional about it. Its also possible you are wrong and others might have a valid opinion. I say this as someone who enjoys this message board and doesn't want another offseason of Brandon. I also think you are capable of other, better posts that don't involve this topic.

Badgerinmaine
05-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Bonus question, even if you're the biggest fan of Aaron Rodgers, isn't he in some shape or form throwing his fellow teammates and fanbase under the bus in his requests for trade?
Well, I would count myself a huge Rodgers fan, even now when I am disappointed with what he's done over the past week. But I keep going back to how I feel for the new Packers draft picks. This should be among the happiest days of their lives, but they've been totally upstaged. Someone like Amari Rodgers ought to be answering questions like "Won't it be awesome to have Aaron Rodgers passing to you?" or "What do you think you can learn from Davante Adams?" instead of "Have you heard about all the Aaron Rodgers controversy?" I'd rather see our new players starting out on a better foot than this.

Packers4Glory
05-03-2021, 11:51 AM
I'm just going to say this with the intent of hoping it gets through to you. When 6-7 people are telling you that you are wrong, basically nobody is really on your side, and you have gotten to the point where you are getting angry....its possible you are wrong. Take a step back. Try to step out of Aaron's shoes and into the GMs shoes for a second. See his perspective of team building. Its ok to conclude he shouldn't have drafted Love, most of us share that opinion, but the idea that the organization that MADE Rodgers a global superstar owes it to him to bend to his every will...well, just rationally for a second think of it from another angle.

It is possible everyone is wrong and you are right, but if the conversation hasn't exhausted you by now, you are way too emotional about it. Its also possible you are wrong and others might have a valid opinion. I say this as someone who enjoys this message board and doesn't want another offseason of Brandon. I also think you are capable of other, better posts that don't involve this topic.
6 or 7 here. that's not the world. This is a bubble among packer fans. thinking your groupthink on the page makes you right is hilarious.

King Friday
05-03-2021, 12:05 PM
I'm glad to be in the groupthink team that believes the earth is round.

Packers4Glory
05-03-2021, 12:08 PM
I think you're missing the point. The Packers are an organization that's been around 100 years. QB's have come and gone, front offices have come and gone and many a hall of famer has graced the field for the green and gold.

How many bitched or dictated the organizations direction? We quickly found out in 2008 who were "Packer's" fans and who were "Favre" fans. It's fine to be a fan of a player but admit and own it and recognize that you're a player fan more-so than a team fan. It seems like some put the player above the team.

Also the posts about the front office having an ego are misguided. I remember all the posts about TT having an ego and he was about as far from having a ego as anybody that's every been in the Packer's organization. A quiet very private individual - how does that scream ego??

It's pretty simple really, a GM is rated on their ability to field competitive teams and see the whole picture. The coaches are there to manage the players and provide guidance, instruction and direction to the players and well the players are there to simply execute.

Why players feel the need or right to make personnel decisions seems to be a product of new entitled generation. I get wanting their voice to be heard but a GM is supplemented by the scouting organization and the rest of the front office. Gute might not have been the one to push for Love in the draft (then again maybe he did as ultimately it's his call) but if the board that he and the scouting staff has assembled has Love a top 10 pick and he's there at 26 he makes the tough decision to draft Love to better the team. Does that pick make the team better immediately? But his vision is long term and until this past year it was quite possible that Rodgers play was in decline or his age has made him more vulnerable to injury. Much of this same discussion occurred when we drafted Rodgers in 2005.

How does the selection of a QB in the first round suggest Gute has an ego? If you do months and months of work and build a board (right or wrong on it's rankings) - why would you deviate from it? Also why would Gute or TT have an ego when bottom line they are employed to make the Packers a winning team with the current players are well as future players. Whose to say that Gute didn't have several highly ranks WR's get taken before his draft position or his attempts to move up in those situations were too costly and thus the trade up didn't occur? We never know those details but again unless you're privy to what goes on behind closed doors it's all unfounded accusations.

You can argue that the front office doesn't know what they are doing (maybe you're right) but none of the picks would appear to suggest ego as the basis. Why "stick it" to your HOF QB when you're in the midst of competing for NFC titles?

Bonus question, even if you're the biggest fan of Aaron Rodgers, isn't he in some shape or form throwing his fellow teammates and fanbase under the bus in his requests for trade? We the fans didn't ask for Love nor did Rodgers teammates. Why doesn't the team simply strike for Aaron? Pro sports are littered with the corpses of execs who try to outsmart the room.

IMO they did a calculation after Aaron's first year under MLF and thought, well, he's turning into a good not great QB. So lets look ahead and in a couple years we can cut him and move on. they never excpected the season they got. If they were serious about a SB the 2020 draft would have looked a lot different. That's the key thing people just have zero answer for here. You don't trade up and get Love without reaching out to your guy who is. your leader. You just don't.

Then you don't draft a 3rd string RB in the 2nd round of that draft. And then you don't draft a H-back that everyone had at round 5 or worse in the 3rd. these are not guys who are special talents. you can't find next year or later. You draft like you're trying to find someone to shore up your weaknesses so you have a better shot to get over the hump. Again the Dillon pick is the only one that you COULD make a case for because you know you were going to let Jones and Williams both walk. That didn't happen. So there was zero reason to make that pick there. it made no damn sense from a team building roster construction perspective.

People want to say that because 6 or 7 of you are saying one thing, maybe I'm wrong. But the ENTIRE media and insiders who covered that draft were dumbfounded by what we were doing and remain so to this day based on where we were as a team and in the window for being a legit SB threat. Nobody who is anyone in the industry liked our draft. just google it. here's a nice summary.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/draft-grades-analysts-really-hated-the-packers-2020-draft-class/

Yes Rodgers is pissed because instead of going for it, we decided to punt and draft for the future. first 3 picks were 2 3rd and 1 4th stringer. IDK what's hard to understand.

as far as who leaked it. idk. analyst and insiders I've heard think the team did. because you can't fathom or understand why they would, doesn't make it less likely. At this point its a PR game and teams and leagues have been better at that than any players or players union have been for a long time.

Packers4Glory
05-03-2021, 12:15 PM

wait you think the Packers made Aaron a global superstar? I think most would argue Aaron made and kept the Packers relevant after filling Favre's shoes. The odds of him not crumbling under that pressure had to be staggering. I don't recall ever saying the team should bend to his every will? are we married? Cus that's some next level wife argument there putting words and context into my mouth. Rodgers has taken this team under different management to a SB and under different management and offenses within a game in back to back seasons. Aaron is going to be Aaron regardless. I think that's obvious by now. without. him, this team is average at best with pretty much anyone else under center. What he brings to the field is beyond just your basic good QB.

I'm not closed off to it could be Rodgers camp that leaked it. But I've said I don't think it really matters who did the leak. It's more about finding and understand the motivation behind it and what it actually means in the end.

RashanGary
05-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Time speaks to a drafts effectiveness more than any first impression or rookie year. Relax on last years draft until it plays out.

Packers4Glory
05-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Time speaks to a drafts effectiveness more than any first impression or rookie year. Relax on last years draft until it plays out.

missing the point. I'm not saying it couldn't end up being a good class. It just wasn't the time to draft for the future. It was a draft to go out and try to find ways to shore up the DL and WR spot among others. we were a game away from the SB and we got ran out of the stadium in SF and the WR class was deep. I know we're spoiled but believe it or not these SB windows are short.

sharpe1027
05-03-2021, 12:34 PM
missing the point. I'm not saying it couldn't end up being a good class. It just wasn't the time to draft for the future. It was a draft to go out and try to find ways to shore up the DL and WR spot among others. we were a game away from the SB and we got ran out of the stadium in SF and the WR class was deep. I know we're spoiled but believe it or not these SB windows are short.

So, what? Do they jettison the entire front office because Aaron doesn't agree with a late first round pick? What's your solution?

RashanGary
05-03-2021, 12:46 PM

I think you overestimate the impact of the first year of a draft to the degree that no rookie draft class has ever put a team over the hump because the rookie year is the least impactful year of any draft.

And at the same time that you’re over estimating rookie impact, you’re underestimating 2nd abd 3rd year contributions.

It’s dramatic and definitely feeds into fans irrational desires to win a title in any given one year span. It has its draw. But being realistic, that it is not.

King Friday
05-03-2021, 01:10 PM
I'm sensing some backpedaling here that could've been more useful during the NFCC game.

Fritz
05-03-2021, 01:31 PM

I totally agree. I think the Packers should've emulated the Seahawks. They have a GM, John Schneider, whom many here think the Packers should've promoted years ago or stole back from Seattle. Seattle always beats the Packers to the punch when it comes to making smart moves to win now.

So for example in the past year or two they've gone all in. They traded for Jadaveon Clowney when they needed a pass rush to make a difference in the playoffs and have traded future picks so they could win now, while they have Russell Wilson. They traded their first round pick to the Jets for safety Jamal Adams so they had him for last year and not wait around like the Packers and other teams do.

So last year they did get to the playoffs and they . . . oh, wait, they lost in the wild card round. But anyway, John Schneider is so, so smart that this year they drafted . . . oh, wait, they had only three picks in the entire draft - in the second, the fourth, and sixth rounds.

Well, anyway, the Packers have won only ONE Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers, but since Russell Wilson came on board the Seahawks have won . . . oh, wait, one Super Bowl.

RashanGary
05-03-2021, 01:37 PM
I totally agree. I think the Packers should've emulated the Seahawks. They have a GM, John Schneider, whom many here think the Packers should've promoted years ago or stole back from Seattle. Seattle always beats the Packers to the punch when it comes to making smart moves to win now.

So for example in the past year or two they've gone all in. They traded for Jadaveon Clowney when they needed a pass rush to make a difference in the playoffs and have traded future picks so they could win now, while they have Russell Wilson. They traded their first round pick to the Jets for safety Jamal Adams so they had him for last year and not wait around like the Packers and other teams do.

So last year they did get to the playoffs and they . . . oh, wait, they lost in the wild card round. But anyway, John Schneider is so, so smart that this year they drafted . . . oh, wait, they had only three picks in the entire draft - in the second, the fourth, and sixth rounds.

Well, anyway, the Packers have won only ONE Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers, but since Russell Wilson came on board the Seahawks have won . . . oh, wait, one Super Bowl.

Good point. The “go all in” is often painted as a guarantee. It’s always presented as, we lost but had we done this, we were guaranteed a win.

It’s not like that. Stay in it every year like we do and we’ll eventually have that lucky year like 2010 again.

Bossman641
05-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Today's rumor.... The death knell in the Rodgers-Gute relationship was Gute releasing Kumerow.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Joemailman
05-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Packers moved on from Favre in 2008. Rodgers had never started a game. Lot of people thought they were crazy. As late as mid-season 2009 Aaron Rodgers had a win/loss record of 10-14 as a starter. Favre was lighting it up in Minnesota. Then things changed. By the end of the 2010 season Packers were Super Bowl champs and Favre's career was over. Old quarterbacks, even the greatest ones eventually fade away. Just saying that if Rodgers refuses to honor his contract with the Packers, there's a good chance this turns out better for the Packers than for Rodgers.

RashanGary
05-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Today's rumor.... The death knell in the Rodgers-Gute relationship was Gute releasing Kumerow.

We’re dealing with a brat. The best thing to do is to kiss his ass to his face and then dig in because he has 3 years left on the deal. We’re never gonna have a QB who understands other peoples decisions but we sure might have 12 under center this year mostly because he doesn’t have the ability to do whatever he wants under the current contract he’s in.

12 is a great player but still human. Gute gonna have to put on his armor and deal with the star personality. We’ll see what happens.

RashanGary
05-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Packers moved on from Favre in 2008. Rodgers had never started a game. Lot of people thought they were crazy. As late as mid-season 2009 Aaron Rodgers had a win/loss record of 10-14 as a starter. Favre was lighting it up in Minnesota. Then things changed. By the end of the 2010 season Packers were Super Bowl champs and Favre's career was over. Old quarterbacks, even the greatest ones eventually fade away. Just saying that if Rodgers refuses to honor his contract with the Packers, there's a good chance this turns out better for the Packers than for Rodgers.

Yep. It’s unfortunate for all sides. But more unfortunate for Rodgers. He’s under contract for three more years. Brady got to go to any team he wanted because he let his contract run out. Rodgers can do that too, when he’s 40. But for now, he agreed to the contract he signed a couple years ago to give him 100+million dollars and he’s gotta play by NFL rules if he wants to be in the NFL.

texaspackerbacker
05-03-2021, 01:51 PM

hahahahahaha Which icon of truth in the media came up with this one?

RashanGary
05-03-2021, 01:53 PM

:lol:

It’s funny though! Rodgers the player is legendary. The person is a little on the thick skulled and stubborn side. I feel about the same about him now as last year. You can see this being in his personality.

King Friday
05-03-2021, 01:54 PM
I think we know what will happen if Gute plays hardball... The petulant child will have to do an about face and realize that he signed a contract and has to live by it. This retirement talk is complete rubbish. Rodgers is not retiring right now.

texaspackerbacker
05-03-2021, 01:55 PM
There's about 20 or so posts and a lot of silly shit since I last checked this thread last night. Kudos to Packers4Glory for having a couple of posts that were mostly islands of good sense in generally a sea of crap.

A lawyer objecting in a trial would sum it up best for most of what people are posting: "assuming facts not in evidence".

Packers4Glory
05-03-2021, 01:55 PM
We’re dealing with a brat. The best thing to do is to kiss his ass to his face and then dig in because he has 3 years left on the deal. We’re never gonna have a QB who understands other peoples decisions but we sure might have 12 under center this year mostly because he doesn’t have the ability to do whatever he wants under the current contract he’s in.

12 is a great player but still human. Gute gonna have to put on his armor and deal with the star personality. We’ll see what happens.

or you're dealing with a GM who wants to put his franchise QB in his place starting pissing contests with him. It's all absurd. first you draft his replacement. you don't do anything to help the roster get better from the previous year. And then you cut a guy right after Rodgers praises him to the media. can you get a bigger fuck you to a player than what Gute did starting in the draft?

Sparkey
05-03-2021, 01:56 PM

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1389269097075052545?s=12

RashanGary
05-03-2021, 01:57 PM
I think we know what will happen if Gute plays hardball... The petulant child will have to do an about face and realize that he signed a contract and has to live by it. This retirement talk is complete rubbish. Rodgers is not retiring right now.

Agree. I mean, give him space to save face abd be understanding that he’s human and has demands and expected to get his way. You don’t have to shut him down too harshly. But I do think you have to stand ground. If he does retire, so be it, just leave open an avenue for him to come back without retribution.

That Love pick is making a lot more sense now though. None of us knew how demanding Rodgers might be behind closed doors to run the team.

Bossman641
05-03-2021, 02:00 PM
or you're dealing with a GM who wants to put his franchise QB in his place starting pissing contests with him. It's all absurd. first you draft his replacement. you don't do anything to help the roster get better from the previous year. And then you cut a guy right after Rodgers praises him to the media. can you get a bigger fuck you to a player than what Gute did starting in the draft?

Ah yes, the legendary Jake Kumerow. He of the ...*squints eyes*....one reception since leaving the Packers.