PDA

View Full Version : AR wants out?!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

bobblehead
06-03-2021, 11:40 PM
has anyone mentioned a-rods nuclear option?

he can show up week one and get "hurt", either real or made up. a guy can dive head first into a pile and say he's got a headache and sensitive to light. he gets his full year of pay, and we get nothing for him

he can also show up to clooect his money and just not give a shit and change the play at the line every single play to the deep ball

When Favre decided he would waltz into camp several weeks in MM nd TT declared "welcome back. You will be a fine backup QB" If Rodgers plays that game I would hope they bench him right fast. He can sit on the bench every week and pout. Don't give him any reps or any reason to fake an injury and leave the team while getting paid. That would be the only response.

call_me_ishmael
06-04-2021, 12:13 AM
When Favre decided he would waltz into camp several weeks in MM nd TT declared "welcome back. You will be a fine backup QB" If Rodgers plays that game I would hope they bench him right fast. He can sit on the bench every week and pout. Don't give him any reps or any reason to fake an injury and leave the team while getting paid. That would be the only response.

You and I remember this very differently. I don't recall that at all. When he came to GB, it was immediately damage control IIRC and trying to get rid of him ASAP. Wasn't he gone the next day after he showed up at family night? What an epic drop-balls-on-table move.

Joemailman
06-04-2021, 07:00 AM
You and I remember this very differently. I don't recall that at all. When he came to GB, it was immediately damage control IIRC and trying to get rid of him ASAP. Wasn't he gone the next day after he showed up at family night? What an epic drop-balls-on-table move.

Right. There was no welcome mat. He wanted to address the team on family night and the Packers wouldn't allow it. MM met with Favre the next day to gauge Favre's commitment to being the Packers QB before he would let Favre enter the locker room. . He did not come away satisfied. The Packers very much wanted Favre to retire. He wouldn't, so they traded him.

Upnorth
06-04-2021, 07:16 AM
No matter what move arod does our ultimate response should have nothing to do with him. It should be based on loves capability. Anything other than an open arm welcome back tells me we got a stud in love.

King Friday
06-04-2021, 07:22 AM
As I've said all along... The Packers hold all of the cards here if Rodgers wants to keep playing in the NFL. With that in mind, the Packers should be making their intent clear to the Rodgers camp.

1. The Packers want Rodgers to be the QB in Green Bay as long as he is playing at a level that can win championships.
2. The Packers will NOT trade Rodgers before March 2022, regardless of what happens.
3. The Packers need to be able to have a chance to prepare for the current season, so Rodgers needs to make his decision by a certain date... Probably early August.

King Friday
06-04-2021, 09:08 AM

bobblehead
06-04-2021, 09:36 AM
Right. There was no welcome mat. He wanted to address the team on family night and the Packers wouldn't allow it. MM met with Favre the next day to gauge Favre's commitment to being the Packers QB before he would let Favre enter the locker room. . He did not come away satisfied. The Packers very much wanted Favre to retire. He wouldn't, so they traded him.

I recall the address the team that didn't happen as well, but I also clearly recall them saying they had prepared all offseason and in camp so far with Rodgers as the starter and if Brett decided to rejoin the team it would be as ARods back up. The NFL was livid because Favre was a ratings cash cow. I still believe they put serious pressure on the Packers to trade Favre. But MM definitely declared that Brent was the backup when he showed up "unretired".

bobblehead
06-04-2021, 09:41 AM
As I've said all along... The Packers hold all of the cards here if Rodgers wants to keep playing in the NFL. With that in mind, the Packers should be making their intent clear to the Rodgers camp.

1. The Packers want Rodgers to be the QB in Green Bay as long as he is playing at a level that can win championships.
2. The Packers will NOT trade Rodgers before March 2022, regardless of what happens.
3. The Packers need to be able to have a chance to prepare for the current season, so Rodgers needs to make his decision by a certain date... Probably early August.

I think they have done all of that already. They pretty much have told him he will be the starter for the remainder of his contract unless his play drops off significantly. They probably have offered to restructure it in a way that assures that.

But the big concern is that Red is correct and Rodgers can go full metal asshole. He likely did it to MM. I do believe he tanked to get rid of MM. I watched him throw 10 yard passes in the dirt. He has never done that other than that season. So is he above faking an injury or playing subpar to put pressure on them to trade him? Hell yes. If Love is the answer at all you have to deal him if the right offer is on the table. In my life, guys like Rodgers don't last long. Once I recognize a drama queen I gently remove them from my orbit. If you are building a culture you can't let one player destroy it.

Joemailman
06-04-2021, 09:50 AM
I recall the address the team that didn't happen as well, but I also clearly recall them saying they had prepared all offseason and in camp so far with Rodgers as the starter and if Brett decided to rejoin the team it would be as ARods back up. The NFL was livid because Favre was a ratings cash cow. I still believe they put serious pressure on the Packers to trade Favre. But MM definitely declared that Brent was the backup when he showed up "unretired".

I don't think the Packers had any intention of having Favre on the roster as a backup though. That would have been an absolute circus. They were trying to push Favre into retirement. In this year's case, Rodgers isn't going to retire. If the Packers can't convince Rodgers to want to play for the Packers, they have to trade him. If Rodgers doesn't want to be here, then having him here just makes Love's job even more stressful.

bobblehead
06-04-2021, 09:53 AM
I don't think the Packers had any intention of having Favre on the roster as a backup though. That would have been an absolute circus. They were trying to push Favre into retirement. In this year's case, Rodgers isn't going to retire. If the Packers can't convince Rodgers to want to play for the Packers, they have to trade him. If Rodgers doesn't want to be here, then having him here just makes Love's job even more stressful.

Agree its very different for many reasons. Bottom line though, I would NOT let Rodgers poison his trade value and THEN give him what he wants. I wouldn't let him walk for a single first. Not worth it. They absolutely do not HAVE to trade him.

texaspackerbacker
06-04-2021, 11:22 AM

Good Points there. Supposing Rodgers did retire ....... the Packers would still own his rights that long, and could trade him later. As for your #1, anybody in their right mind - which presumably/hopefully includes Gutekunst - wants Rodgers playing in Green Bay. And as for #3, yes, it could drag on until early August - preseason games, but not much longer.

There's a whole lot of imagining and assuming going on in here hahahaha. I've said, virtually all posters in here have better sense than most of the God damned media. Well, you guys are making a liar out of me hahahahaha. I see all this speculation about what's in Rodgers' mind and what's in the minds of the Packers' front office, etc. - completely flying in the face of course, of anything they've said publicly. I really think Rodgers knows already what he's gonna do; He just ain't tellin' until he's damn good and ready. And I'm pretty sure that his decision will be to sign a fairly long term extension or at least a compromise thereof locking him up as a Packer for at least 3 years. And all this negative shit about Rodgers' attitude and motivation by know-nothings in here? He was a guy who saw the rug about to be pulled out from under him and took steps to prevent that. I sure can't fault him for that. I also can't fault him if he wants to make the Packer leadership sweat for a while, maybe quite a while. Now I guess I'm the one doing the speculating with no clear knowledge of what's in his mind. However, he's has showed nothing to indicate that his heart is not with Green Bay and Wisconsin in general.

I can't help wondering also, supposing that media shithead had never spewed the crap he did on draft day ....... how concerned would we be if Rodgers didn't show up at the voluntary ITA? How much doom and gloom would be circulating around in that scenario? I would guess not much.

sharpe1027
06-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Rodgers could quash the whole thing in 30 seconds. The fact that he hasn't is all I need to know about where his priorities lie. Hint, it's not about his teammates or the fans.

The Packers have made their intentions clear. They want to stick with Rodgers. They reportedly want to sign him to an extension to make him the highest paid player. If Rodgers is in agreement, he's not saying so and has implied otherwise.

texaspackerbacker
06-04-2021, 11:55 AM
But why the hell should he? He doesn't owe us anything, and if he owes the Packer brass anything, it's to make them sweat and squirm.

I hope that "reportedly" is true - you never know with the God damned media. If so, that's undoubtedly how this shit will all end - but not until Rodgers is damn good and ready.

George Cumby
06-04-2021, 12:28 PM
He doesn't owe us anything, Correct. He doesn't owe us, the fans, anything.and if he owes the Packer brass anything, it's to make them sweat and squirm. Incorrect. He is under contract.

George Cumby
06-04-2021, 12:29 PM
Rodgers could quash the whole thing in 30 seconds.

This.

sharpe1027
06-04-2021, 12:36 PM
But why the hell should he? He doesn't owe us anything, and if he owes the Packer brass anything, it's to make them sweat and squirm.

It's the professional, mature approach. It's how I was raised. You don't screw people over to be vindictive. It's immature and shortsighted. Does he need to act like a professional, no. Can I have an opinion about how I feel about that, yes.

SudsMcBucky
06-04-2021, 12:50 PM
Good Points there. Supposing Rodgers did retire ....... the Packers would still own his rights that long, and could trade him later. As for your #1, anybody in their right mind - which presumably/hopefully includes Gutekunst - wants Rodgers playing in Green Bay. And as for #3, yes, it could drag on until early August - preseason games, but not much longer.

There's a whole lot of imagining and assuming going on in here hahahaha. I've said, virtually all posters in here have better sense than most of the God damned media. Well, you guys are making a liar out of me hahahahaha. I see all this speculation about what's in Rodgers' mind and what's in the minds of the Packers' front office, etc. - completely flying in the face of course, of anything they've said publicly. I really think Rodgers knows already what he's gonna do; He just ain't tellin' until he's damn good and ready. And I'm pretty sure that his decision will be to sign a fairly long term extension or at least a compromise thereof locking him up as a Packer for at least 3 years. And all this negative shit about Rodgers' attitude and motivation by know-nothings in here? He was a guy who saw the rug about to be pulled out from under him and took steps to prevent that. I sure can't fault him for that. I also can't fault him if he wants to make the Packer leadership sweat for a while, maybe quite a while. Now I guess I'm the one doing the speculating with no clear knowledge of what's in his mind. However, he's has showed nothing to indicate that his heart is not with Green Bay and Wisconsin in general.

I can't help wondering also, supposing that media shithead had never spewed the crap he did on draft day ....... how concerned would we be if Rodgers didn't show up at the voluntary ITA? How much doom and gloom would be circulating around in that scenario? I would guess not much.

I could be wrong, but doesn't AR have an opt-out option after this coming year?

jklowan
06-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Aaron Rodgers signed a four year, $134 million contract extension with the Packers on August 29, 2018. The contract has $98.2 million in guarantees including a $57.5M signing bonus. $78.7 million is fully guaranteed at signing. The contract particulars come from Joel Corry of CBS Sports who was the first with a full breakdown of the contract (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-inside-aaron-rodgers-new-contract-and-what-it-means-for-russell-wilson/). Per Corry, Rodgers has roster bonuses in each of the first four years of the contract. The first two years of roster bonuses are fully guaranteed. The $19.5 million in 2020 is virtually guaranteed at signing and officially becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the waiver period in 2019. His 2022 roster bonus is due on the 3rd day of the league year. There are $4 million in incentives which are tied to playtime, performance and team success. Rodgers salary cap charge in 2018 increased by $337,500 and his cap charge in 2019 by $5.4 million as part of the extension.
Rodgers restructured his contract on December 26, 2019. Per ESPN Rodgers converted $14.26 million of a 2020 roster bonus into a signing bonus in 2019. The move increased Rodgers 2019 salary cap charge by $2.852 million and decreased his cap charge by $11.408 million in 2020.

Although he previously denied asking for an opt-out clause — or at least referred to it as conjecture — Rodgers admitted he asked for that on Thursday. He and his agent, David Dunn, also explored having Rodgers’ salary tied to a percentage of the salary cap.
Those were non-starters for the Packers.
Clearly, that’s why these negotiations took so long. They began just after the season ended.
Ultimately, it appears Rodgers took a more traditional deal because he knew it was best for the team. He again referred to his relationship with the Packers as a partnership.

red
06-04-2021, 02:34 PM
I could be wrong, but doesn't AR have an opt-out option after this coming year?

not that i'm aware of

red
06-04-2021, 02:48 PM
i'm fascinated with how gutey and murphy have been able to wrap themselves in the packers flag and make this whole thing out to be rodgers vs the packers, and of course most fans have sided with the team

this is not rodgers vs the packers. rodgers has made it very clear that this is him vs the front office (gutey and murphy)

mark murphy and brain gutiwhatever are no more the green bay packers then rodgers or any other player is

would people side with rodgers more if the fake owner who owns nothing and the GM whos has only been with the team only a few years hadn't convinced the fans that they are more then just employees?

Joemailman
06-04-2021, 03:12 PM
i'm fascinated with how gutey and murphy have been able to wrap themselves in the packers flag and make this whole thing out to be rodgers vs the packers, and of course most fans have sided with the team

this is not rodgers vs the packers. rodgers has made it very clear that this is him vs the front office (gutey and murphy)

mark murphy and brain gutiwhatever are no more the green bay packers then rodgers or any other player is

would people side with rodgers more if the fake owner who owns nothing and the GM whos has only been with the team only a few years hadn't convinced the fans that they are more then just employees?

If people are siding against Rodgers, it's because he's the one trying to leave the Packers with 3 years left on his contract. Not because they have warm and fuzzy feelings about Murphy and Gute. You can hate the fact that Gute drafted Love and still have a problem with what Rodgers is doing.

sharpe1027
06-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Being annoyed with Rodgers doesn't mean I'm not also annoyed with the Packers front office.

Whatever greivances people have with the Packers front office, they're winning the PR war because they took a position and aren't dragging this shit out. Rodgers chose to be "mysterious" or whatever he thinks he's doing by not addressing the issue head on. I don't know why he's doing that, but I don't respect that type of gamesmanship.

George Cumby
06-04-2021, 04:21 PM
I don't like Murphy.

Jury is out on Gute.

I think the current organization is stupid, creates confusion and is fertile ground for dysfunction.

But fuck Erin Rodgers. You're under contract you whinging cunt.

red
06-04-2021, 04:47 PM
If people are siding against Rodgers, it's because he's the one trying to leave the Packers with 3 years left on his contract. Not because they have warm and fuzzy feelings about Murphy and Gute. You can hate the fact that Gute drafted Love and still have a problem with what Rodgers is doing.

yet people have no problem when the team cuts a player with 3 years remaining on a contract

nfl contracts mean jack shit, and are 1 sided "contracts". they keep players from moving around but can really be broken by teams at any point with the only consequence being a cap hit

sharpe1027
06-04-2021, 05:06 PM
yet people have no problem when the team cuts a player with 3 years remaining on a contract

nfl contracts mean jack shit, and are 1 sided "contracts". they keep players from moving around but can really be broken by teams at any point with the only consequence being a cap hit

The contract has outs for both parties. Being pissed at management is probably not a standard out clause. Rodgers probably should have negotiated for that.

King Friday
06-04-2021, 05:16 PM

nfl contracts mean jack shit, and are 1 sided "contracts"

So what? That has nothing to do with Rodgers, who has been excessively well compensated for well over a decade.

Sparkey
06-04-2021, 06:27 PM

That's the whole point of signing bonuses. Good players get more money upfront as opposed to spreading it out over 4/5 years.
Players get their money upfront while teams get roster flexibility.

Sparkey
06-04-2021, 06:33 PM
Rodgers signed a contract, received a shitload of money and now is unhappy that he still owes the Packers his services. Big fucking waaaaaaa to him. He apparently isn't too smart since he is the one who signed and agreed to the contractual obligations that he no longer likes.

Bretsky
06-04-2021, 06:41 PM

I completely agree RED; and while we're at it bring Russ Ball into the triangular circus too

Listen to Rodgers over and over on ESPN

He's saying the Packer leadership is flawed, maybe broken. He's hinting players don't feel appreciated and feel like part of the team...a broken culture.

Bob Harlen, that didn't happen on his shift.

MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA........part of this is on you

And shame on the Packer management team for mentally losing their quarterback.

It's no that hard to keep the best players happy. Marica and Gutebag could take some lessons from Tampa Bay

Bretsky
06-04-2021, 06:46 PM

SO SO TRUE

ANYBODY remember JAYRONE ELIOTT ?????? Undreafted free agent; worked his ass off. Media Favorite. Listened to his interview yesterday. Great guy; positive with no bitterness at all.

He told a story of how he was offered a contract with the Pittsuburg Steelers. Longer terms and way more $$ than what GB was offering. And Gutebag and Russ Ball got him on the phone and with some persuasion from them he decided to stay.

And then somebody he considered a friend, my man ELIOTT WOLF, called him one year later to tell him he was traded to the Indinapolis Colts. He thought is was a Wolf prank but as they talked figured out it was not. He was heartbroken, upset, and went through a dark period after that occurred.

So let's not be so fast to automatically take managements side. Sometimes players get screwed for their loyalty

Rastak
06-04-2021, 07:54 PM
SO SO TRUE

ANYBODY remember JAYRONE ELIOTT ?????? Undreafted free agent; worked his ass off. Media Favorite. Listened to his interview yesterday. Great guy; positive with no bitterness at all.

He told a story of how he was offered a contract with the Pittsuburg Steelers. Longer terms and way more $$ than what GB was offering. And Gutebag and Russ Ball got him on the phone and with some persuasion from them he decided to stay.

And then somebody he considered a friend, my man ELIOTT WOLF, called him one year later to tell him he was traded to the Indinapolis Colts. He thought is was a Wolf prank but as they talked figured out it was not. He was heartbroken, upset, and went through a dark period after that occurred.

So let's not be so fast to automatically take managements side. Sometimes players get screwed for their loyalty

To be fair, contracts specify what money the player will make "IF HE MAKES THE DAMN TEAM". No make the team, no money. Kind of like you or me, we get a job. They fire you and you get shit, right? That's why the guaranteed money is so important. The players get screwed for their loyalty if their agent was either too stupid to get guarantees or the player had absolutely no leverage. Like Tank telling McDonalds "Hey assholes, I can go to Burger King if you don't hire me". It might work if there is a labor shortage. There is not in the NFL.

edit: Bretsky, after reading what you said more closely you are 100% right about the promises and trades and cuts and stuff. That is 100% bullshit. Don't lie to a guy.

sharpe1027
06-04-2021, 08:15 PM
Are we seriously trying to make a case that we should be feeling sorry for players because they sometimes get cut? You realize that means they become a free agent and can shop themselves to the highest bidder?

You know what the solution to that problem is? If they don't like the terms of contract, don't sign the deal. Find another team or get a job doing something else.

texaspackerbacker
06-04-2021, 08:20 PM
He doesn't owe us anything, Correct. He doesn't owe us, the fans, anything, and if he owes the Packer brass anything, it's to make them sweat and squirm.

Incorrect. He is under contract.

Correct. Has he broken that contract? If he doesn't show up next Tuesday or whenever, then yes, and he gets fined accordingly. Beyond that, nothing, though. And as for the crap about acting "professional" or "mature", that falls under the category of know-nothings presuming to know what's in his mind or believing media shitheads just trying to stir up trouble.

sharpe1027
06-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Correct. Has he broken that contract? If he doesn't show up next Tuesday or whenever, then yes, and he gets fined accordingly. Beyond that, nothing, though. And as for the crap about acting "professional" or "mature", that falls under the category of know-nothings presuming to know what's in his mind or believing media shitheads just trying to stir up trouble.

No. It has nothing to do with me presuming to know what's in his mind. I even said "I don't know why he's doing that". I said zero about what the media is saying. Please try again.

texaspackerbacker
06-04-2021, 08:34 PM
If the former doesn't apply to you, then the latter must. Otherwise, why would you spew such stupidity?

Rastak
06-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Guys, get your shit together. The contract is both ways. 1) The contract says what he gets if he shows up and makes the team 2) The contract says what happens when he doesn't show up. So does the bargaining agreement between the players and the owners.
The guy has NOT BROKEN THE CONTRACT anymore than a dude getting cut.

sharpe1027
06-04-2021, 08:54 PM
If the former doesn't apply to you, then the latter must. Otherwise, why would you spew such stupidity?

I just said neither apply and explained why in my reasoning above. Happy to expand firther. What part of what I wrote do you want me to explain further?

ThunderDan
06-05-2021, 04:38 AM
Guys, get your shit together. The contract is both ways. 1) The contract says what he gets if he shows up and makes the team 2) The contract says what happens when he doesn't show up. So does the bargaining agreement between the players and the owners.
The guy has NOT BROKEN THE CONTRACT anymore than a dude getting cut.

Having worked as the CPA for a handful of NFL players over my career, the contracts NFL players have aren’t worth the paper they are written on. If you aren’t on the ascending part of your career on your 2nd contract, you are treated as expendable at any time. The superstar players are maybe 45 of the 2,000 plus NFL players with the expanded practice squad space.

Regularly, the management comes to the player after the season if they had an off year, and demands they take a pay cut or they are gone. I had a client who signed his 2nd contract and was making great bank. Year 1 he was rated top 5 at his position, year 2 he was injured and player through the pain and dropped to the bottom 3rd in the league, in March he gets a call to restructure or get out.

My client took a bet on himself, he walked and resigned with another team for significantly less money as a backup for 1 year. 6 years later he is still in the league making what I consider great money but still no where near to what he made pre-injury.

sharpe1027
06-05-2021, 06:16 AM
How many jobs/contracts guarantee that you won't be fired? I'd love that option, but sadly I've never been offered that option, nor do I suspect I'd ever have been able to negotiate for that perk.

I get that the NFL is a high risk reward career path, but what do people expect to happen? Players get paid for their entire contract regardless of performance, injury, ect.?

sharpe1027
06-05-2021, 06:39 AM
If what Rodgers wants, and why he wants it, are the least bit reasonable, he could make a short statement and the speculation would largely be done. Moreover, I think most everyone would support him.

As is, he's letting the media go wild, even encouraging it with his cryptic comments. Now we have to endure more of the media circus Tex hates. We also have to listen to people on both sides argue about why Rodgers is or isn't justified in doing what he's doing despite not really knowing why he's doing it.

My primary issue isn't that Rodgers wants something he is willing to (maybe) hold out to get. That's his choice (whether I agree it's wise or not). I don't like the way he's going about it.

bobblehead
06-05-2021, 07:41 AM
Having worked as the CPA for a handful of NFL players over my career, the contracts NFL players have aren’t worth the paper they are written on. If you aren’t on the ascending part of your career on your 2nd contract, you are treated as expendable at any time. The superstar players are maybe 45 of the 2,000 plus NFL players with the expanded practice squad space.

Regularly, the management comes to the player after the season if they had an off year, and demands they take a pay cut or they are gone. I had a client who signed his 2nd contract and was making great bank. Year 1 he was rated top 5 at his position, year 2 he was injured and player through the pain and dropped to the bottom 3rd in the league, in March he gets a call to restructure or get out.

My client took a bet on himself, he walked and resigned with another team for significantly less money as a backup for 1 year. 6 years later he is still in the league making what I consider great money but still no where near to what he made pre-injury.

This is all part of the give and take of the collective bargaining agreement. Its also factored into every decision a player makes (or should be). Rodgers took the huge signing bonus and the contract that came with it. He now has a choice to play or sit. The team laid out that cash upfront to get his name on the line. They now have a choice to honor the terms or cut him free and eat the bonus. Thats the way it works. Its what they negotiated. It is very unfair to the bottom 2000 and overly fair to the upper 50. The players wanted it that way, not the owners. The players could negotiate for guaranteed contracts if that was their priority. They did not.

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2021, 07:46 AM
Or you could just ignore the God damned media. I listen to Larry McCarren and McAfee - who are hardly what I'd call media - and a little bit to one or two others on YouTube, and even them I take with a grain of salt. Why the hell should Rodgers do any talking at this point? Presumably, negotiations are ongoing, so why rock the boat or give away his position. I would expect that a deal acceptable to Rodgers is already on the table, and as I said a couple of times, he's just letting the broken front office sweat for a while before coming in. Furthermore, I'd bet that Davante and a couple others like A.J. Hawk or Kuhn know all about this but similarly keeping quiet about it.

The bottom line is still R-E-L-A-X, everything is gonna be all right, and we're gonna have Aaron Rodgers playing for the Packers a minimum of 3 more years, and hopefully a good deal more. And if Justin Love is worth keeping, we have him all that time too, ready to take over when Rodgers finally is done.

red
06-05-2021, 08:09 AM
How many jobs/contracts guarantee that you won't be fired? I'd love that option, but sadly I've never been offered that option, nor do I suspect I'd ever have been able to negotiate for that perk.

I get that the NFL is a high risk reward career path, but what do people expect to happen? Players get paid for their entire contract regardless of performance, injury, ect.?

most of us are also able to leave our jobs and go find work elsewhere whenever we want, even if its for the competition

if a player signs a contract one year, then the team cleans house and brings in a whole group of assholes that you just can't stand, do you just have to sit there and take it?

in the nfl you have to

red
06-05-2021, 08:12 AM
This is all part of the give and take of the collective bargaining agreement. Its also factored into every decision a player makes (or should be). Rodgers took the huge signing bonus and the contract that came with it. He now has a choice to play or sit. The team laid out that cash upfront to get his name on the line. They now have a choice to honor the terms or cut him free and eat the bonus. Thats the way it works. Its what they negotiated. It is very unfair to the bottom 2000 and overly fair to the upper 50. The players wanted it that way, not the owners. The players could negotiate for guaranteed contracts if that was their priority. They did not.

the cba is just terrible for the players, and every time they renegotiate it they just end with extra scraps instead of fixing the big issues

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2021, 02:59 PM
Yet they get to play a fun kids game and get paid rock bottom minimum close to a $Million. I wish I could get exploited like that hahahahaha.

red
06-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Yet they get to play a fun kids game and get paid rock bottom minimum close to a $Million. I wish I could get exploited like that hahahahaha.

and the owners get to make billions by owning the team names and making huge money off a kids game. hell most don't even own the buildings they play and practice in

red
06-05-2021, 03:07 PM
a question

would it change anything if a-rod goes on TV and does a tell all?

seems a lot of people are hating on rodgers because he isn't saying anything. what if he does tell us that a first year GM told him to GTFO of his office any worry about just playing. what if he WAS told that he would be traded only for the team to change his mind.

would that change anything for anyone, or not?

RashanGary
06-05-2021, 03:53 PM
a question

seems a lot of people are hating on rodgers because he isn't saying anything. what if he does tell us that a first year GM told him to GTFO of his office any worry about just playing. what if he WAS told that he would be traded only for the team to change his mind.

Rodgers said he’s unhappy with how the organization handles people. In the same conversation he said that he didn’t like how they drafted his replacement and he went on to an MVP season to show them they were wrong in doing it. I think it’s fairly obvious he’s watched Nelson, Graham and other good friends just get the cold axe and he sees the writing on the wall that they’d do it to him too.

Soooo..... in a no loyalty business, Rodgers feels management is wrong in how they cut people and wrong in how they look to replace people. And wrong in trying to replace him.

He skipped OTAs to let them know he’s not impressed.

This is something he’ll eventually swallow. At least he got his “fuck you” in and that makes him feel better.

He’ll be back. Bet on it. And once he gets around the guys he’ll bond with them and try to win a title. It’s gonna happen.

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2021, 07:17 PM
and the owners get to make billions by owning the team names and making huge money off a kids game. hell most don't even own the buildings they play and practice in

So What!

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2021, 07:20 PM
RG, both here and in the other thread, you make more sense than anybody else - except for me, of course hahahahaha.

sharpe1027
06-06-2021, 10:26 AM
most of us are also able to leave our jobs and go find work elsewhere whenever we want, even if its for the competition

if a player signs a contract one year, then the team cleans house and brings in a whole group of assholes that you just can't stand, do you just have to sit there and take it?

in the nfl you have to

There are jobs outside the NFL. Don't like their rules, choose a different profession.

We're talking about Aaron Rodgers, though. He's already received obscene amounts of money. He's negotiated for terms he wanted. Why should I feel sorry for him exactly?

sharpe1027
06-06-2021, 10:30 AM
Or you could just ignore the God damned media.
You should take your own advice. For someone that doesn't consume any media ,you sure seem obsessed with them. You complain about the media in ever other post.

sharpe1027
06-06-2021, 10:35 AM
a question

Yes.

Joemailman
06-06-2021, 12:07 PM
a question

If it happened as described, yes, it would matter. Players are deserving of respect, whether it's the starting QB, or the long snapper.

texaspackerbacker
06-06-2021, 12:34 PM
You should take your own advice. For someone that doesn't consume any media ,you sure seem obsessed with them. You complain about the media in ever other post.

Fair Point, and why do you think that is? Because I hear/read those shitheads quoted and referred to like what they say is gospel and like the assholes really know something.

If there's anything I'm obsessed with, it's being a homer - having my team(s) win and win and win.

As for the "tell-all" thing, it depends entirely on the content - what he had to tell.

sharpe1027
06-06-2021, 05:05 PM
Fair Point, and why do you think that is? Because I hear/read those shitheads quoted and referred to like what they say is gospel and like the assholes really know something.

If there's anything I'm obsessed with, it's being a homer - having my team(s) win and win and win.

As for the "tell-all" thing, it depends entirely on the content - what he had to tell.

People here seem to understand the media storyline is not Gospel. You think otherwise? Should be easy to show where you think others are doing so. I'll wait...

Fritz
06-07-2021, 07:33 AM
There are jobs outside the NFL. Don't like their rules, choose a different profession.

We're talking about Aaron Rodgers, though. He's already received obscene amounts of money. He's negotiated for terms he wanted. Why should I feel sorry for him exactly?

I could not disagree with you any more strongly. So you're, say, an electrician. You train for it, you go through your apprenticeship, you start as a gopher at the bottom and work your way up. You gain the deep knowledge anyone needs in any profession, and get whatever trainings and certifications you need. But all the bosses of all electric companies, and all the customers needing work done change the rules, essentially taking the power to willfully put you out of work - because they can - and your response is "don't like their rules, choose a different profession"? It seems a pretty knee-jerk response on your part, one that does not acknowledge how much work and sacrifice and knowledge it takes to be an expert in a professional line of work - electricians, plumbers, teachers, architects, and so on and so on.

sharpe1027
06-07-2021, 10:35 AM
I could not disagree with you any more strongly. So you're, say, an electrician. You train for it, you go through your apprenticeship, you start as a gopher at the bottom and work your way up. You gain the deep knowledge anyone needs in any profession, and get whatever trainings and certifications you need. But all the bosses of all electric companies, and all the customers needing work done change the rules, essentially taking the power to willfully put you out of work - because they can - and your response is "don't like their rules, choose a different profession"? It seems a pretty knee-jerk response on your part, one that does not acknowledge how much work and sacrifice and knowledge it takes to be an expert in a professional line of work - electricians, plumbers, teachers, architects, and so on and so on.

I'd argue that your analogy is knee-jerk and doesn't acknowledge the significant differences between the NFL and a typical profession. If an electrician is doing a poor job and causing the company to lose clients to a competitor, does that mean the company can't fire the electrian and hire someone better?

sharpe1027
06-07-2021, 11:16 AM
If an 80 year old electrician is no longer able to do wiring because of severe arthritis and loss of their vision, should they keep getting a paycheck? Or, would you expect them to retire or find a new profession?

bobblehead
06-07-2021, 12:03 PM
a question

but that didn't happen. And you know it.

bobblehead
06-07-2021, 12:06 PM

and that is also not what happened.

red
06-07-2021, 02:49 PM
but that didn't happen. And you know it.

We don't know.

And Stephen a Smith swears that Rodgers was to get out of a front office guys office and told he's just paid to play or something along those lines

King Friday
06-07-2021, 03:04 PM
We don't know.

And Stephen a Smith swears that Rodgers was to get out of a front office guys office and told he's just paid to play or something along those lines

Stephen A Smith couldn't find his way to Green Bay if his life depended on it. He's about the last person I would look to for info on this. He's a carnival barker.

sharpe1027
06-07-2021, 03:06 PM
We don't know.

I agree. We simply don't know at this point. I also don't think we should out much trust in what Stephen A. says

King Friday
06-07-2021, 03:09 PM
There is no way the team told Rodgers they would trade him at the draft... It was basically impossible for that to happen due to Rodgers' contract.

Joemailman
06-07-2021, 09:30 PM
Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL
·
1h
Bucks are wasting Aaron Rodgers’ ownership prime.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL
Bucks should have drafted some first round wide receivers..

bobblehead
06-08-2021, 09:24 AM
We don't know.

Oh...if Smith reported that it must be true. That guy never says sensational stuff to get ratings.

call_me_ishmael
06-08-2021, 09:28 AM

He's received an obscene amount of money compared to the average person, but relative to his peers and cohorts it is just the market rate. He hasn't earned an obscene amount by NFL quarterback standards. In fact he is almost certainly underpaid right now relative to his peers.

It's important to distinguish this because while yes he is quite rich compared to you and I, that doesn't mean he feels respected and taken care of, etc. I'm sure he feels fortunate in general but it is important to keep in mind the market.

sharpe1027
06-08-2021, 11:51 AM
He's received an obscene amount of money compared to the average person, but relative to his peers and cohorts it is just the market rate. He hasn't earned an obscene amount by NFL quarterback standards. In fact he is almost certainly underpaid right now relative to his peers.

It's important to distinguish this because while yes he is quite rich compared to you and I, that doesn't mean he feels respected and taken care of, etc. I'm sure he feels fortunate in general but it is important to keep in mind the market.

I'm not disagreeing that he can try to get every penny. I'm pushing back on the notion I should feel sorry for him because nthe owners have too much power.

texaspackerbacker
06-08-2021, 12:12 PM

When you're right, you're right - it actually does occasionally happen hahahaha. Obscene by NFL QB standards would be like Joe Flacco got a few years ago, or maybe Cousins.

Tony Oday
06-08-2021, 01:23 PM
Fuck AR, Hold him and never trade, break him.

Fritz
06-08-2021, 03:45 PM
I'd argue that your analogy is knee-jerk and doesn't acknowledge the significant differences between the NFL and a typical profession. If an electrician is doing a poor job and causing the company to lose clients to a competitor, does that mean the company can't fire the electrian and hire someone better?

I suppose you're right that it's not a good analogy - there are significant differences between the two professions. Perhaps the most significant is that the NFL is a monopoly. It has expended capital, great amounts, to quash any possible competition, from the old AFL (which the NFL absorbed) to the WFL and anything in between, before, or after. Therefore it sets the rules, period. If Aaron Rodgers - if any NFL player - does not like the rules, there is no other league to go to.

The countervailing force is the NFLPA, which is unfortunately deeply flawed.

It's a myth to think that we live in a country in which people have a series of free choices and their fate is ultimately and entirely on them. Of course humans bear some responsibility for their own fates, but Americans do not start off with equal opportunities, period. And people who start with more resources and more opportunities generally do better than those who do not have the same advantages. Then those people who "make it" go to great lengths to argue that they made it due to their own hard work and diligence.

But that's probably for the Romper Room. To keep it in a football forum, I will say that I do not feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers at all. But I do think the NFL at the ownership level (and in the Packers' case at the upper management level) operates as if the Stephen A. Smith story is in fact the way it should be.

All I can say is that if the Packers lose Rodgers after this year and get no compensation, it will be a black mark against the organization. And Gutekunst and Murphy should be fired, should that occur.

sharpe1027
06-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Fritz, no disagreements with what you said. One important thing to factor in is no player should be surprised they can be cut without warning and be out of the league. They may not believe it'll happen to them, but it's a well known risk to anyone choosing that profession.

red
06-08-2021, 06:17 PM
One thing I'd like to add into this is the peter king idea that so many people (not in here) seem to like

King went on PFT and came up with this "brilliant" idea that would make everyone happy. The team and Rodgers just have to come to the understanding that Rodgers will play this year, and the team will them trade him next year

Problem solved.......

Except that is exactly what the team was wanting to do in the first place and probably the thing that triggered a rod to do all he's doing right now. It seemed very obvious looking at the cap number and how the team didn't restructure him this year, that the team wants to trade him next off-season. And Rodgers is trying to throw a wrench into those plans

So in short, the king plans is what the Packers want, and what Rodgers doesnt

Joemailman
06-08-2021, 10:45 PM
https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1402349578846969865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1402349578846969865%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthespun.com%2Fnfl%2Fnfc-north%2Fgreen-bay-packers%2Fformer-packers-wide-receiver-james-jones-shoots-down-1-aaron-rodgers-theory

James Jones still saying it's fixable. Says Rodgers' beef is really about the players Packers have let leave. If that's the case the timing is odd given that the Packers have spent a ton in the past year to keep guys like Clark, Bakhtiari, Aaron Jones etc.

texaspackerbacker
06-09-2021, 12:48 AM
That sounds a little self-serving from one of the guys the Packers let go hahahaha.

RashanGary
06-09-2021, 05:49 AM
https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1402349578846969865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1402349578846969865%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthespun.com%2Fnfl%2Fnfc-north%2Fgreen-bay-packers%2Fformer-packers-wide-receiver-james-jones-shoots-down-1-aaron-rodgers-theory

James Jones still saying it's fixable. Says Rodgers' beef is really about the players Packers have let leave. If that's the case the timing is odd given that the Packers have spent a ton in the past year to keep guys like Clark, Bakhtiari, Aaron Jones etc.

I’ve been saying this for a while. He’ll still show up. He doesn’t have a lot of options. I wonder if he’ll be the same guy with so much distraction and turmoil. Time will tell.

call_me_ishmael
06-09-2021, 09:36 AM

I just really don't believe that is the case though. I just don't buy it because it's a silly argument. Who did the Packers let go last year? I can't think of anyone, so why did this bubble to the surface now.

To me, it's very clearly about two things:

1. Picking players for the future eg. Jordan Love instead of using valuable resources to win in the present and help Aaron's legacy
2. Because of #1, they planned to move on probably after this upcoming season and he is annoyed by that and wants to just go now and start fresh with an extra year.

Ultimately, he's either getting dealt this summer (unlikely), in the Spring (more likely) or getting a long term contract that isn't super moveable (most likely). We shall see.

Joemailman
06-09-2021, 10:33 AM
Comments by James Jones:

“I’ve talked to Aaron. I talk to him all the time. He’s told me that it’s not about the G.M., it’s not about new money, it’s not about the G.M. So when I hear everybody say it’s about getting the G.M. fired and these things, it’s not about that,” Jones said.

So why is Rodgers not participating in the Packers’ mandatory minicamp this week?

“His No. 1 beef is a private conversation on the phone that I can’t share with you,” Jones said.

It’s not about who you’re bringing in, I can’t control who you draft, I can’t control who you bring in in free agency. But what I do want a little input on is the guys you’re letting out of the building. You’ve got guys like Jordy Nelson who are willing to take a pay cut to play and you say, ‘No, get out of here’ anyway,” Jones said. “I think it’s the guys getting out of the building, that he’s seen walking out of the building and still wanted to be in Green Bay and still could have been contributors to winning a championship.”

I'm wondering if these comments from Jones are Rodgers' way of countering the public narrative that he wants Gute fired.

I also wonder if 2020 changed Rodgers' view on the importance of offseason work. No minicamp. No OTA's. Yet he had his best season. Maybe he's using his absence as leverage to get whatever changes he wants from the front office while missing time he feels he doesn't need anyway.

Rodgers' comments in the Kenny Mayne interview were interpreted by everybody it seems as a criticism of Gute. I'm not so sure about that. I think Rodgers' dispute might be aimed more at Murphy and Russ Ball and less at Gute. Ball is the money guy and has more influence now (promoted to Director Of Football Operations by Murphy in 2018) than he had with Thompson.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2021, 11:14 AM
Who did the Packers let go last year?

Whitewater Jesus, T-Will and Heather Graham’s little brother, Jimmy, among others.

Pompous Bobble would argue that they weren’t material losses. As a downtrodden person, I am all for Cinderellas making it in the NFL. But when 49, 86, 82, 19, 39 all saw extended playing time, something is fucked.

Upnorth
06-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Who exactly was kumerow better than? How many other teams bounced him?
In 2019 his catch rate was south of mvs. In 2020 he was targeted once. He was not injured in 2020.
Twill is used up, but still had a better season than kumerow.
Jimmy Graham vrs tonyon. Who is better? If tonyon is way better (which he is) way younger (which he is) and way cheaper (which he is) how does that compute as an important loss? Tonyon hands and routes are a big part of Rodgers MVP equation.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Packers coulda used Graham in the red zone in the NFC Title game. 39 sucks. I don’t get German Shepherd’s hard-on for that milksop. A 40 year old T-Will would still be an upgrade over 39. I dunno about y’all, but if I ever dash into combat, I want Jesus on my side.

Upnorth
06-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Packers coulda used Graham in the red zone in the NFC Title game. 39 sucks. I don’t get German Shepherd’s hard-on for that milksop. A 40 year old T-Will would still be an upgrade over 39. I dunno about y’all, but if I ever dash into combat, I want Jesus on my side.

Anyone who would pull out tonyon and insert Graham does not watch football. Did you watch the gakes when you werent flipping burgers?
Sullivan is likely better than twill at this point in time and really would have been a push last year. Twill was on our bench for the nfccg so I dont get ypur reasoning.
Kumerow was available for 19 games in the 2020 season stat line of 1 trgt 1 reception 1 td. That is some how a justification fpr keeping him on the roster?

Eq, our worst reciever who has a substantially higher cieling had 7 receptions.

bobblehead
06-09-2021, 12:38 PM
One thing I'd like to add into this is the peter king idea that so many people (not in here) seem to like

King went on PFT and came up with this "brilliant" idea that would make everyone happy. The team and Rodgers just have to come to the understanding that Rodgers will play this year, and the team will them trade him next year

Problem solved.......

Except that is exactly what the team was wanting to do in the first place and probably the thing that triggered a rod to do all he's doing right now. It seemed very obvious looking at the cap number and how the team didn't restructure him this year, that the team wants to trade him next off-season. And Rodgers is trying to throw a wrench into those plans

So in short, the king plans is what the Packers want, and what Rodgers doesnt

The team can NOT restructure him without a commitment from him to play out his contract. You can't make his salary signing bonus, then he sits out, collects it all and his cap number going forward only gets worse. He is playing a game that leaves himself in a no win situation. Now if he publicly got involved and said "Hey, I'm coming to camp and playing" then the packers could try and work out a fair trade deal. As it stands I'm guessing no one will offer what Gutes wants because they think he will blink. But if someone is offering the big payday for Rodgers Gutes should take it and move on. Sure, its better to have a happy motivated Rodgers, but you don't have that and can't be sure you will. However if the offer on the table is a 1st and conditional 3rd...well, sorry Rodgers, you sit.

bobblehead
06-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Whitewater Jesus, T-Will and Heather Graham’s little brother, Jimmy, among others.

Pompous Bobble would argue that they weren’t material losses. As a downtrodden person, I am all for Cinderellas making it in the NFL. But when 49, 86, 82, 19, 39 all saw extended playing time, something is fucked.

I think loosing Graham was necessary. I think if keeping the Whitewater Wonder would have made ARod happy they should have. T-Will is a great locker room guy, but at his age, it was time to move on. I also agree a lot about the Jordy thing. Jordy would have taken a cut, but instead they signed Jimmy Graham's corpse to a deal bigger than Jordy was getting....and Jordy is a better blocker.

However, if this is all about Jordy's last year and T-will's fading legacy then Rodgers is being outright stupid. If its about Kumerow he is beyond help. But at the same time, if its really about kumerow then Gutes is an idiot too because keeping Taylor over Kumerow wasn't worth pissing off Rodgers.

And yes, they were not material losses. And other than Kumerow, the packers paid a lot of money to the others and owed them very little on the back end.

texaspackerbacker
06-09-2021, 03:28 PM
I say again, I doubt this has anything to do with the situation - Jones is one of those players the Packers let get away during the Rodgers era, so it sounds like just a self-serving statement - like the Packers shoulda outbid Oakland or whoever to keep Jones. Jones did say, however, he expects Rodgers to come in in time for training camp. I hope he got that part right.

red
06-09-2021, 04:40 PM
The team can NOT restructure him without a commitment from him to play out his contract. You can't make his salary signing bonus, then he sits out, collects it all and his cap number going forward only gets worse. He is playing a game that leaves himself in a no win situation. Now if he publicly got involved and said "Hey, I'm coming to camp and playing" then the packers could try and work out a fair trade deal. As it stands I'm guessing no one will offer what Gutes wants because they think he will blink. But if someone is offering the big payday for Rodgers Gutes should take it and move on. Sure, its better to have a happy motivated Rodgers, but you don't have that and can't be sure you will. However if the offer on the table is a 1st and conditional 3rd...well, sorry Rodgers, you sit.

Yes they can, and without his permission

Turning the 6.8 million dollar roster bonus and/or salary into a signing bonus would increase the cap penalty for future years, making it less obvious that the team would be moving on from him after this season.

But yes, the one problem would be if this all blew up way earlier then we think, and the team knew or knows that things are way worse then they are letting on, and there is just no way he ever plays for us again

But let's say even if they did convert everything to a roster bonus and THEN, he decided he would never play for them again. They could still do what everyone thinks the team should do anyways and go after the signing bonus

Freak Out
06-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Jimmy G was worthless. WTF. Tank is lol.

bobblehead
06-09-2021, 06:31 PM
Yes they can, and without his permission

Turning the 6.8 million dollar roster bonus and/or salary into a signing bonus would increase the cap penalty for future years, making it less obvious that the team would be moving on from him after this season.

But yes, the one problem would be if this all blew up way earlier then we think, and the team knew or knows that things are way worse then they are letting on, and there is just no way he ever plays for us again

But let's say even if they did convert everything to a roster bonus and THEN, he decided he would never play for them again. They could still do what everyone thinks the team should do anyways and go after the signing bonus

I'm saying logistically they can NOT. If they do, the salary is guaranteed even if he never shows up. To do so would give him much more leverage than he has now.

If they did that right now, I find it unlikely anyone rules in the teams favor on that part of the "signing bonus" given that they did it in the midst of him refusing to show up. I'm pro team and all, but if they locked it in as bonus and then sued because he still didn't show up I probably don't rule in their favor on that one.

red
06-09-2021, 06:40 PM
I'm saying logistically they can NOT. If they do, the salary is guaranteed even if he never shows up. To do so would give him much more leverage than he has now.

If they did that right now, I find it unlikely anyone rules in the teams favor on that part of the "signing bonus" given that they did it in the midst of him refusing to show up. I'm pro team and all, but if they locked it in as bonus and then sued because he still didn't show up I probably don't rule in their favor on that one.

ah, i think i see where you're coming from now. i hadn't thought about that

however, i have read that the team can't go after the portion of the pro rated signing bonus that was added after the 2019 season when he restructured a roster bonus and turn it into more signing bonus. thats why you see experts saying they could go after 23 million (11.5 million for this year and 11.5 for next) and not the and not the full 14.3 for this year and next and the 2.8 million in 2023 that is shown on a site like over the cap

if that makes any sense

still they could have done it with that roster bonus. that wouldn't have had the same impact as converting the salary seeings how they were paying him that amount anyways

speaking of the roster bonus. andrew brandt was on the radio this morning and he mentioned that when we would do roster bonuses for guys, he woudn't give them one lump sum on that date, but spread it out over the season. which i find to be kinda shitty. but for those saying he would have to pay back that roster bonus, he hasn't even received any of the money yet, so there's nothing to pay back at this point

bobblehead
06-10-2021, 10:18 AM
I think teams are getting more creative about making sure players can't grab a huge signing bonus and then flake. What we have seen this offseason with Rodgers, Wilson, Watson is crazy. All these guys signed huge long term deals with guaranteed money and suddenly aren't happy. "please eat that bonus and send me somewhere where my cap number is much lower because you ate it so that team can get me enough help to win an owl." Maybe that is the key to winning. Build a roster then trade for a QB whose cap number will be lower for you.

texaspackerbacker
06-10-2021, 10:40 AM
Yet Watson and Wilson are right where they started, and odds are, Rodgers will be too.

BTW, who in their right mind thinks the Packers do not have a Super Bowl quality team, assuming Rodgers is back in place?

Fritz
06-10-2021, 04:29 PM
I think teams are getting more creative about making sure players can't grab a huge signing bonus and then flake. What we have seen this offseason with Rodgers, Wilson, Watson is crazy. All these guys signed huge long term deals with guaranteed money and suddenly aren't happy. "please eat that bonus and send me somewhere where my cap number is much lower because you ate it so that team can get me enough help to win an owl." Maybe that is the key to winning. Build a roster then trade for a QB whose cap number will be lower for you.

Bobble, I think you have a new model for the NFL that you'd like to see teams try. I think it would be fun to see a team try your idea: build a killer defense, a killer offensive line, draft a couple of really good running backs, and play like it's 1975 and see if you can win a SB that way. Try it without spending a gazillion dollars a year on your QB.

But let's let GB try it with Rodgers another time or two first...

King Friday
06-11-2021, 08:27 AM
This is mostly about Love and Rodgers coming to grips with the fact he won't have as much command over his future moving forward.

However, saying that publicly makes Rodgers look weak...so he ain't going to go that route. As Terry Bradshaw pointed out, a guy with Rodgers status shouldn't be worried about some snot nosed kid coming in the door. Ultimately, Tom Brady did this same thing in NE when Garrapolo was behind him. However, Tom could work with a single owner who held sway over the front office. Rodgers doesn't have that option. This has nothing to do with people. This has everything to do with Rodgers and his jealousy of what Tom Brady had been able to do.

sharpe1027
06-11-2021, 09:11 AM
It's a good guess, King Friday. That being said, we don't know. It could be any number of things and is probably a combination of factors.

bobblehead
06-11-2021, 11:18 AM
Bobble, I think you have a new model for the NFL that you'd like to see teams try. I think it would be fun to see a team try your idea: build a killer defense, a killer offensive line, draft a couple of really good running backs, and play like it's 1975 and see if you can win a SB that way. Try it without spending a gazillion dollars a year on your QB.

But let's let GB try it with Rodgers another time or two first...

Make no mistake, I want Rodgers back this year. I would go ahead and take the 3 firsts if its on the table, but all things equal I think this is an Owl roster and we need him to make it happen. I don't want to waste that. Also, Rodgers is top 3. Its not like Wilson or Watson. Its not like we have matty melt. We aren't trotting a top 10 (borderline) QB like Baker Mayfield out there. Its the reigning MVP. I want him back to win an Owl. Then when the season ends I ask him straight. "Do you still want to be traded?" Do you want us to sign Kumerow?

George Cumby
06-11-2021, 08:16 PM
Jimmy G was worthless. WTF. Tank is lol.

I kind of agree, but would say that he was less than worthless. He actually was a net detriment. Any JAG could've done what that lazy fuck did for us, just better with more effort.

RashanGary
06-11-2021, 09:34 PM
If Love looks real this year, trade Rodgers next year.

If Love doesn’t look real, bend for Rodgers and make it long term into his 40’s

Rodger pretty much has to show up for training camp and the season or he gives up 90 million over the last couple years. He’s under contract. He’s gonna show up. But now if love is panning out, you make the switch a year early.

RashanGary
06-11-2021, 09:36 PM
It’s weird cuz Rodgers wants longer term security to not be traded off or cast aside, but he’s making it really easy to move on if Love starts panning out. If Love isn’t panning out, Rodgers just makes it really weird.

I support Rodgers reasons but I don’t see how he’s helping himself even a little bit.

Bretsky
06-11-2021, 11:23 PM
I have concerns even if AROD shows he comes in with less than the attitude we'd want to lead us to a Super Bowl. Gute made some f'ck ups.....but I'm at peace if they'd get a ton of value for Rodgers with a trade and move on.

sharpe1027
06-11-2021, 11:39 PM
If Kumerow being cut was a main reason Rodgers is pissed, I think it wouldn't have mattered what they did. They keep Kumerow, Rodgers would have found something else to be ticked off about. Kumerow?!?!

red
06-12-2021, 04:27 PM
Mark Murphy needs to shut the fuck up

the guy makes the rodgers situation work every time he opens his mouth

and still people are bitching about rodgers for turning this into a mess when he's the only one not running his mouth on a daily basis

Joemailman
06-12-2021, 04:31 PM
I don't think Rodgers would have a problem with being called a complicated fella. He is that. I am a little put off by Murphy using a private quote by a deceased person who was known for shunning the spotlight.

King Friday
06-12-2021, 05:02 PM
It’s weird cuz Rodgers wants longer term security to not be traded off or cast aside, but he’s making it really easy to move on if Love starts panning out. If Love isn’t panning out, Rodgers just makes it really weird.

I support Rodgers reasons but I don’t see how he’s helping himself even a little bit.

Correct. And he should know how that works, because it is exactly how he took the job from Favre. Favre hated practice and kept faking retirement to get out of it, and eventually the Packers realized Rodgers was good enough for them moving forward because they saw enough of him in practice when Favre was not around.

I just don't really understand what Rodgers thinks he is accomplishing here other than eventually getting dumped on a lesser team to finish his career.

Zool
06-12-2021, 05:29 PM
Mark Murphy needs to shut the fuck up

the guy makes the rodgers situation work every time he opens his mouth

and still people are bitching about rodgers for turning this into a mess when he's the only one not running his mouth on a daily basis

Not daily, just 2 hours before the draft.

RashanGary
06-13-2021, 05:58 AM
Not daily, just 2 hours before the draft.

What did Murphy say?

Joemailman
06-13-2021, 06:54 AM
What did Murphy say?

"I'm often reminded though ... of Ted Thompson, as most of you know, just a great general manager, passed away (earlier this year)," Murphy said, according to NBC 26 in Green Bay. "(Thompson) often talked about Aaron, that he's a ... and it wasn't just Aaron, a lot of different players. He would say, 'He's a complicated fella.' So, I'll just say that."

RashanGary
06-13-2021, 09:17 AM
He kind of put it on Aaron. Not completely, but Aaron being complicated is definitely not Gutes fault. So he publicly let us know that Gute has his backing.

RashanGary
06-13-2021, 09:19 AM
Twitter was going off about it too. The Packers are moving forward being the Packers regardless of what a complicated player might want or think. I don’t see anything wrong with that or anything the Packers have said or done since this started.

Bretsky
06-13-2021, 10:31 AM
He kind of put it on Aaron. Not completely, but Aaron being complicated is definitely not Gutes fault. So he publicly let us know that Gute has his backing.

Nice Job Marcia

Bretsky
06-13-2021, 10:34 AM
Twitter was going off about it too. The Packers are moving forward being the Packers regardless of what a complicated player might want or think. I don’t see anything wrong with that or anything the Packers have said or done since this started.

I don't think AROD is going to win the public opinion battle if everything he's unhappy about would be mapped out. Most of us would feel that isn't his job to be pissed at how GB treated Jordy.............and other things.

But Marcia should shut his pothole IMO

bobblehead
06-13-2021, 10:42 AM

I agree except that I don't support his reasons. Its a job. Be better than everyone else and you will have one. If Rodgers stays elite they would probably let him play out his entire contract. Only if Love passed him (as happens with every athlete in time) would they move on.

So its real simple if your Aaron. Be better than Love. What he is doing is NOT helping his overall situation (unless he really wants forcing a trade and being remembered as a Bronco as his legacy).

bobblehead
06-13-2021, 10:48 AM
I don't think AROD is going to win the public opinion battle if everything he's unhappy about would be mapped out. Most of us would feel that isn't his job to be pissed at how GB treated Jordy.............and other things.

I agree to an extent. I recall TT also said "I'm only here to talk about the players who are in camp" or under contract, or anything to that effect. Its a lesson the brass should learn.

"we love aaron and want him back as our QB, but until he is in camp we have nothing further to add"

texaspackerbacker
06-13-2021, 11:41 AM
Yeah, all of this is just not that big a deal. Blaming this one, blaming that one in the organization is just kinda stupid and the crap outsiders do - that's basically what all of them are saying, summed up as BFD.

If the news media idiot who kicked off this whole shitstorm had said, "Aaron just wants to take some extra time to vacation in Hawaii with Shailene. He thinks he can be just as ready without mini-camp, and it will help Justin's progress to get the reps", instead of intentionally stirring up trouble with the irrelevant and possibly bogus shit that he did, then there would be maybe 2% of the silly shit being spewed by know-nothings in here and elsewhere, and that line would probably have been just as true as what the bastard did write.

Zool
06-13-2021, 12:03 PM
What did Murphy say?

No, I meant that Rodgers isnt talking about it hourly, but he chose the worst time for the org to bring it up. That wasn't an accident.

RashanGary
06-13-2021, 12:52 PM

We’re pretty much reading the same types of things Rodgers is probably pissed about. He said it’s a problem in how they handle “people” at the top. He said in drafting Love, they didn’t expect him to win the MVP, suggesting he’s another one of the “people” getting done dirty. James Jones added that Rodgers is upset about how they move on from some guys. I think Jordy would be at the very top of the list of people done wrong, among others. But the #1 people he’s pissed at being done dirty right now it’s him. He won MVP and they don’t want to extend him at the time in his career when he has 1 more shot at a huge pay day.

I differ with you in that I like the way Murphy is backing his guys and putting it on Aaron. At the end of the day they have a tough business to run and they’re open and honest about running a business. Doesn’t mean I like business. I still understand Rodgers. But what are they gonna do, stop trying to win because it hurts guys to cut them?? They can’t really do that. So back your guys. He’s doing that. Good on him.

RashanGary
06-13-2021, 12:55 PM
Rodgers is doing nothing to protect the organization right now. He went so far as to say, they don’t handle people right. If Murphy says Rodgers is complicated, suggesting it’s hard to please everyone, he has every right to do so and probably is responsible to be the guy who does so. It’s a good move by Murphy. He’s subtly protecting the Packers, who Rodgers is throwing under the bus.

texaspackerbacker
06-13-2021, 06:32 PM
Is it his job to "protect the organization"? Did Rodgers say "they don't handle people right"? Or did he just make a few meaningless off-the-cuff remarks that panicky people are running to daylight with? Did Murphy say anything significant? Or did he just respond offhandedly to some stupid and speculative questions and comments?

smuggler
06-13-2021, 08:09 PM
I can understand people siding with Rodgers, even if for no other reason than it's easier for them to relate to a person than an organization. However, people criticizing Murphy for calling Rodgers complicated - a statement which is absolutely true and was a reference to a comment TT made about Rodgers - are kind of dumb. There are actually people calling for Murphy to be fired based on Rodgers being upset alone. It's laughable. Rodgers will probably play for the team for fewer than three more seasons. And Murphy will remain team president well beyond then, by my guess. It does not make sense and people that actually believe it needs to happen need to look in the mirror if they can, or go kick rocks.

texaspackerbacker
06-13-2021, 10:05 PM
People siding with Rodgers over the organization? Why would we not? Rodgers is primarily responsible for virtually all of the pleasure we derive from Packer success. All of that would be a whole lot less without him. You can't say the same for an outsider like Murphy or Gutekunst. The team and our enjoyment of it would be no worse at all without Murphy, and arguably would be a lot better off depending on how good a job you think he has done. Ditto that for Gutekunst. He seems to have done a really good job of drafting this year, and he either did a shitty job or not last year depending on your point of view. Arguably, almost any professional, though, and probably a whole lot of people like us could have done just as good a job of drafting and GMing in general.

sharpe1027
06-14-2021, 07:13 AM
Tex, you are delusional.

Upnorth
06-14-2021, 07:23 AM
People siding with Rodgers over the organization? Why would we not? Rodgers is primarily responsible for virtually all of the pleasure we derive from Packer success. All of that would be a whole lot less without him. You can't say the same for an outsider like Murphy or Gutekunst. The team and our enjoyment of it would be no worse at all without Murphy, and arguably would be a lot better off depending on how good a job you think he has done. Ditto that for Gutekunst. He seems to have done a really good job of drafting this year, and he either did a shitty job or not last year depending on your point of view. Arguably, almost any professional, though, and probably a whole lot of people like us could have done just as good a job of drafting and GMing in general.

I saw a list of free agents that the fans have clamored for over the past few years and what they would give up for them. It is not an all star list and probably the best one is will fuller suspended for ped. People wanted to give snacks harrison 8 mil a year. Antonio brown, the guy who made the bucs o worse when he was on the field, was soooo important. And that is the best options from last year. It gets way worse. No the fans as GM would kill the franchise in max 2 years.

texaspackerbacker
06-14-2021, 07:35 AM
I guess I should have said most of us, not the fans you're talking about hahahahaha. I sure wasn't "clamoring" for any of them.

sharpe1027
06-14-2021, 08:51 AM
I guess I should have said most of us, not the fans you're talking about hahahahaha. I sure wasn't "clamoring" for any of them.

It's not as simple as taking a few positions on players on an online forum. That you think most anyone here could be successful is delusional. I don't mean to be a jerk and call you names, but that's completely bonkers in my opinion. Just really out of touch with reality.

Tony Oday
06-14-2021, 11:14 AM
Keep AR on the roster, dont trade, either play for the Pack or sit.

texaspackerbacker
06-14-2021, 12:06 PM
Drafting actually is that simple. Most of us have done mock drafts, and in my case and probably most of ya'all's, most of the results have been at least as good as the real thing. And of course, whoever the person is, they have a whole staff of scouts and tech people to gather info. Anybody with a grasp of math can do the capology, probably better because mindset is a factor there - and Ted and all his disciples were flawed in that way IMO.

Jerry Jones is the closest thing to a comparable - not a complete amateur, he did play some small time college football long ago, but certainly not an "expert" by NFL standards ....... and arguably he has outperformed most or all of those experts over time drafting.

Sharpe, maybe you and a few others lack the self-confidence to think you could handle something like that, but the hardest part for most people would be having the thick skin to put up with whiners and detractors.

And ODAY, yeah, you got that right. "Keep AR" is the ultimate priority - otherwise the expression "fucking up a wet dream" comes to mind.

Joemailman
06-14-2021, 01:00 PM
Tex, you are delusional.

Or maybe he's just a complicated fella.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-14-2021, 01:19 PM
Keep AR on the roster, dont trade, either play for the Pack or sit.

You realize that if 12 “sits,” 10 ain’t sitting, right?

You were jolly when the Packers cut Akili Smith. Ditto, Henry Burris, Vince Young, DeShone Kizer. You jumped off the Packers bandwagon the day Seneca Wallace made his historical start for the Packers. Only reason you weren’t mad during Brett “the Hun” Hundley’s glory days: you’d rather Hundley, who looks like Attila the Hun, start at QB than Kap.

Go root for the NHL, fishmonger. Shaking my fucking head.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-14-2021, 01:41 PM
I have concerns even if AROD shows he comes in with less than the attitude we'd want to lead us to a Super Bowl. Gute made some f'ck ups.....but I'm at peace if they'd get a ton of value for Rodgers with a trade and move on.

12 has too much respect for this brothers in arms to half-ass it.

sharpe1027
06-14-2021, 02:04 PM
12 has too much respect for this brothers in arms to half-ass it.

I tend to agree, but there's still a difference between being professional and being really driven.

sharpe1027
06-14-2021, 02:08 PM
Drafting actually is that simple. Most of us have done mock drafts, and in my case and probably most of ya'all's, most of the results have been at least as good as the real thing. And of course, whoever the person is, they have a whole staff of scouts and tech people to gather info. Anybody with a grasp of math can do the capology, probably better because mindset is a factor there - and Ted and all his disciples were flawed in that way IMO.

Jerry Jones is the closest thing to a comparable - not a complete amateur, he did play some small time college football long ago, but certainly not an "expert" by NFL standards ....... and arguably he has outperformed most or all of those experts over time drafting.

Sharpe, maybe you and a few others lack the self-confidence to think you could handle something like that, but the hardest part for most people would be having the thick skin to put up with whiners and detractors.

And ODAY, yeah, you got that right. "Keep AR" is the ultimate priority - otherwise the expression "fucking up a wet dream" comes to mind.

Oh for Christ's sake. We're now equating being able to do a mock draft to an NFL GMs job? I'm sorry I brought this topic up.

King Friday
06-14-2021, 03:05 PM
Oh for Christ's sake. We're now equating being able to do a mock draft to an NFL GMs job? I'm sorry I brought this topic up.

I can throw for 6,500 yards and 60 TDs a season on Madden, so we don't really need Rodgers.

ThunderDan
06-14-2021, 05:57 PM
I can throw for 6,500 yards and 60 TDs a season on Madden, so we don't really need Rodgers.

But how many INTs and does your O-line suck like the Packers?

Joemailman
06-14-2021, 06:01 PM
Get yours before they run out.

https://mockup-api.teespring.com/v3/image/Jh80xA9SfhNkmZ1TWO9RSbEavs0/800/800.jpg

Bretsky
06-14-2021, 06:43 PM

Thinking about this more, Marcia is a f'ckin idiot and GB should muzzle him. Quoting a diseased Packer GM and saying something that dam stupid is just mind boggling.

sharpe1027
06-14-2021, 06:52 PM

I watched YouTube videos on open heart surgery.

RashanGary
06-14-2021, 06:53 PM
Thinking about this more, Marcia is a f'ckin idiot and GB should muzzle him. Quoting a diseased Packer GM and saying something that dam stupid is just mind boggling.

He’s saying Rodgers is hard to deal with and a lot of people are. He has every right to defend his position against Rodgers, who’s throwing them under the bus. Rodgers is under contract for three more years. He’ll be 40 when it expires. They’re trying to win championships in a salary cap league. If 12 can come out and say they’re bad with people, Murphy can say 12 is complicated.

I support Rodgers operating as a business but I support the Packers trying to do the same. It’s broken systems. It’s going to have issues. Both sides can defend themselves.

Bretsky
06-14-2021, 07:19 PM
He’s saying Rodgers is hard to deal with and a lot of people are. He has every right to defend his position against Rodgers, who’s throwing them under the bus. Rodgers is under contract for three more years. He’ll be 40 when it expires. They’re trying to win championships in a salary cap league. If 12 can come out and say they’re bad with people, Murphy can say 12 is complicated.

I support Rodgers operating as a business but I support the Packers trying to do the same. It’s broken systems. It’s going to have issues. Both sides can defend themselves.

AND

Any fan with a brain cell already knows this.

And dipshit coming out and saying this adds credibility to Rodgers implying there are culture issues. He might as well have just said Rodgers is a drama queen/pain in the ass....etc etc......any fan with a brain cell makes that logic step too

This would have been more intelligent to say. Aaron is a very smart guy and there are always tough decisions to make every year and some me may not be popular. But as we saw last year Rodgers is a tremendous football player and we're going to do everything we can to work through the challenges we have and keep him in Green Bay

Bretsky
06-14-2021, 07:21 PM
Can I be Captain Obvious here. You don't think we dicked over Jordy Nelson ? Whether we offered him the Vet Minimum, or 2.5 Million to return ...was shitty either way. He loved it here, was a leader, and wanted to stay and was willing to cut his wage by plenty to stay a Packers. But those offers...................

I'm sure there are other examples of the cut throat business......some valid...some not......but I think AROD has been playing nice for the most part

And I think Murphy should just shut his pothole in regards to all of this and let it play out

RashanGary
06-14-2021, 09:02 PM
Bretsky,

It’s a fan based business. Rodgers said they have a culture problem being bad with people. They’re going to come out and let the public know Rodgers is difficult to deal with. If 12 can cast stones, so can the organization. Both parties have every right to protect themselves and the fan base becomes the battle field in these things. Rodgers shouldn’t have made this an issue if he didn’t want the Packers to defend themselves to the fan base. Of course that’s going to happen. And if it goes long, if Rodgers escalated it, they’ll do even more, and should. Rodgers cast bigger stones so he’s gonna have to suck it up. And if he can’t, there’s nothing anyone can do for him anyway. He’s just perpetually miserable and there’s no fixing that.

texaspackerbacker
06-14-2021, 09:19 PM

Leave it to you to see a significant difference hahahahaha. If you don't the self-confidence to think you could do the job, fine, then that's on you.

texaspackerbacker
06-14-2021, 09:25 PM
Bretsky,

It’s a fan based business. Rodgers said they have a culture problem being bad with people. They’re going to come out and let the public know Rodgers is difficult to deal with. If 12 can cast stones, so can the organization. Both parties have every right to protect themselves and the fan base becomes the battle field in these things. Rodgers shouldn’t have made this an issue if he didn’t want the Packers to defend themselves to the fan base. Of course that’s going to happen. And if it goes long, if Rodgers escalated it, they’ll do even more, and should. Rodgers cast bigger stones so he’s gonna have to suck it up. And if he can’t, there’s nothing anyone can do for him anyway. He’s just perpetually miserable and there’s no fixing that.

RG, I tend to respect you and your posting a helluva lot more than several of these whiny fools in here, but you're kinda wrong about this. You heard the comments; I heard the comments,; Probably we all heard the comments. He said what he said, but it sounded to me like nothing more than a couple of harmless off-hand remarks replying to stupidity asking questions. Ditto that about this Thompson/Murphy "complicated fella" thing that media shitheads and other fools are making a big deal about - all much ado about nothing or at least very little.

bobblehead
06-14-2021, 11:28 PM

What disease? Google dictionary Bretsky, it's your friend.

deceased
[dəˈsēst]
NOUN
(the deceased)
a person who has died.
"in memory of the deceased"
ADJECTIVE
dead; no longer living.
"the cremation of a deceased person"

sharpe1027
06-15-2021, 12:30 AM
Leave it to you to see a significant difference hahahahaha. If you don't the self-confidence to think you could do the job, fine, then that's on you.

Self confidence? It's called self awareness. No, I don't believe doing a few mock drafts prepares you to be a GM for professional football. Honestly, this discussion can end here and now. It's not possible to reason with crazy.

texaspackerbacker
06-15-2021, 01:21 AM
Maybe we need another poll hahahaha - who thinks they could do as good or better a job as GM than Thompson or Gutekunst? I suppose it would show that you're not the only one with a low "self awareness" of your own abilities, Sharpe.

sharpe1027
06-15-2021, 06:26 AM
Maybe we need another poll hahahaha - who thinks they could do as good or better a job as GM than Thompson or Gutekunst? I suppose it would show that you're not the only one with a low "self awareness" of your own abilities, Sharpe.

It's my experience I'd be concerned about. There's a lot more to the job than meets the eye. Can't know what that is without on the job experience.

George Cumby
06-15-2021, 06:47 AM

Ogres are like onions, they have layers.

Spaulding
06-15-2021, 08:39 AM
Mock drafts are a joke. Any fan that thinks they know more about drafting than even a fired GM is delusional. Picking players based on Kiper/McShay/Mayock/etc rankings is far different than watching likely 100's of hours of film, meetings with scouts/coaches/etc. and making an educated decision. Add in the fact that fans don't know the in's and outs of the offensive/defensive schemes employed by the team also then don't know what players best fits the needs.

Sharpe, you're the voice of reason.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-15-2021, 09:13 AM
Mock drafts are a joke. Any fan that thinks they know more about drafting than even a fired GM is delusional. Picking players based on Kiper/McShay/Mayock/etc rankings is far different than watching likely 100's of hours of film, meetings with scouts/coaches/etc. and making an educated decision. Add in the fact that fans don't know the in's and outs of the offensive/defensive schemes employed by the team also then don't know what players best fits the needs.

“There’s a lot of interest in the draft. It’s great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don’t know anything about what they are talking about.”--Ted Thompson

Anti-Polar Bear
06-15-2021, 09:36 AM
I tend to agree, but there's still a difference between being professional and being really driven.

What difference?

As a burger-flipper with two worthless degrees and having passed the Wisconsin CPA exams, I’ve been passed over - time and time again - for promotions in favor of high school dropouts and Jews. I silently protest management by exploiting the company’s 15 minutes grace period by showing up late every day. Wish I could afford to boycott the company, ala 12 boycotting the Packers. Alas, I ain’t no hotshot QB; just an expendable peon.

Point being, thanks to goddamn Belichick, I continue to, somewhat professionally, “do my fucking job,” despite have lost all motivation to be “driven.” At the end of the year, the CEO gets his sumptuous bonus, Partial and Bobble get their sumptuous dividends, and I remain wretched with a bad hip.

Point being, 12 ain’t gotta be driven to make the 3 headed monster of Murphy/Ball/Gutenkunst look good. If 12 shows up disgruntled but still does his fucking job - he respects his fellow bros in arms too much to half-ass it - Packers could be champions of the world at year end.

texaspackerbacker
06-15-2021, 10:06 AM
So ya'all don't have the confidence that you could do as good a job as Ted Thompson - who was almost as senile as a well known 77 year old? As for all that stuff that "doesn't meet the eye", if you're the GM, you can delegate it. Find some unemployed CPA who used to play football to do the math and bookkeeping.

How can anybody have the gall to complain about the job the people running the team are doing when they whine that they themselves wouldn't be competent to do that job?

APB, why isn't this in your FYI pity thread? Why don't you just put a little sign in your relative's basement window or invest in a small ad, "CPA Available For Taxes and Other Bookkeeping"? I bet you'd make 5 times the money in 1/3 the time as flipping burgers.

sharpe1027
06-15-2021, 12:01 PM
What difference?

As a burger-flipper with two worthless degrees and having passed the Wisconsin CPA exams, I’ve been passed over - time and time again - for promotions in favor of high school dropouts and Jews. I silently protest management by exploiting the company’s 15 minutes grace period by showing up late every day. Wish I could afford to boycott the company, ala 12 boycotting the Packers. Alas, I ain’t no hotshot QB; just an expendable peon.

Point being, thanks to goddamn Belichick, I continue to, somewhat professionally, “do my fucking job,” despite have lost all motivation to be “driven.” At the end of the year, the CEO gets his sumptuous bonus, Partial and Bobble get their sumptuous dividends, and I remain wretched with a bad hip.

Point being, 12 ain’t gotta be driven to make the 3 headed monster of Murphy/Ball/Gutenkunst look good. If 12 shows up disgruntled but still does his fucking job - he respects his fellow bros in arms too much to half-ass it - Packers could be champions of the world at year end.

Just that employee that's showing up for a paycheck and is doing enough to keep the job isn't the same as one that really wants to be the best at their job.

ThunderDan
06-15-2021, 12:09 PM
What difference?

Sorry to break APB's pitty party parade.

CPAs are in extreme demand, our CPA firm has problems hiring CPAs. We are offering $65k plus benefits and loose applicants all the time. And that is for people that have just passed the CPA exam. Manager level in our firm is $100k.

He obviously had some issue and can't be licensed or doesn't care to be anymore.

sharpe1027
06-15-2021, 12:43 PM
So ya'all don't have the confidence that you could do as good a job as Ted Thompson - who was almost as senile as a well known 77 year old? As for all that stuff that "doesn't meet the eye", if you're the GM, you can delegate it. Find some unemployed CPA who used to play football to do the math and bookkeeping.

How can anybody have the gall to complain about the job the people running the team are doing when they whine that they themselves wouldn't be competent to do that job?

APB, why isn't this in your FYI pity thread? Why don't you just put a little sign in your relative's basement window or invest in a small ad, "CPA Available For Taxes and Other Bookkeeping"? I bet you'd make 5 times the money in 1/3 the time as flipping burgers.

There's a difference between assessing the net outcomes and being able to do the job yourself. I complain when I order food that tastes terrible. That doesn't make me qualified to be a chef or run a restaurant.

That being said, I try to give some deference to the decision makers in situations like this. I don't know all the factors going into their decisions.

sharpe1027
06-15-2021, 05:53 PM
What difference?

Take the Jew comment to FYI. Or better yet, just keep it to yourself.

smuggler
06-15-2021, 06:32 PM
Can I be Captain Obvious here. You don't think we dicked over Jordy Nelson ? Whether we offered him the Vet Minimum, or 2.5 Million to return ...was shitty either way. He loved it here, was a leader, and wanted to stay and was willing to cut his wage by plenty to stay a Packers. But those offers...................

I'm sure there are other examples of the cut throat business......some valid...some not......but I think AROD has been playing nice for the most part

And I think Murphy should just shut his pothole in regards to all of this and let it play out

The Packers paid Jordy like $5mil to play for the Raiders. They hardly fucked him over. The fact that Jordy did the logical thing and took the money and ran is evidence the opposite was closer to the truth.

Bretsky
06-15-2021, 09:40 PM
The Packers paid Jordy like $5mil to play for the Raiders. They hardly fucked him over. The fact that Jordy did the logical thing and took the money and ran is evidence the opposite was closer to the truth.

So you think loyalty led them to bottomfeed with their offer to stay with the team ?

smuggler
06-16-2021, 04:33 AM
I think self- interest led Jordy to take $5 mil from the packers and $7 mil from the Raiders instead of $7 mil from the Packers. And I don't blame him because I'm not a dumbass.

George Cumby
06-16-2021, 06:27 AM
I think self- interest led Jordy to take $5 mil from the packers and $7 mil from the Raiders instead of $7 mil from the Packers. And I don't blame him because I'm not a dumbass.

I'd love to be paid to salaries from two employers while working one job.

smuggler
06-16-2021, 07:44 AM
It would feel pretty damn good.

red
06-16-2021, 08:26 AM

what do you mean they paid him 5 million to play for the raiders?

how?

Zool
06-16-2021, 08:56 AM
what do you mean they paid him 5 million to play for the raiders?

how?

They were on the hook for the rest of his bonus? Not sure they actually had to pay him, maybe Smug just meant that was his cap hit.

Fritz
06-16-2021, 08:58 AM
What disease? Google dictionary Bretsky, it's your friend.

deceased
[dəˈsēst]
NOUN
(the deceased)
a person who has died.
"in memory of the deceased"
ADJECTIVE
dead; no longer living.
"the cremation of a deceased person"

You underestimate Bretsky. He's referring to the conspiracy theory that Ted Thompson had syphilis and was thus suffering from disease-related dementia his last few years.

red
06-16-2021, 10:31 AM
They were on the hook for the rest of his bonus? Not sure they actually had to pay him, maybe Smug just meant that was his cap hit.

That's all I can think of is the cap hit from the signing bonus

bobblehead
06-16-2021, 10:36 AM
You underestimate Bretsky. He's referring to the conspiracy theory that Ted Thompson had syphilis and was thus suffering from disease-related dementia his last few years.

Ah...the adolf years.

bobblehead
06-16-2021, 10:38 AM
“There’s a lot of interest in the draft. It’s great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don’t know anything about what they are talking about.”--Ted Thompson

APB quoting TT. The worlds is coming to an end.

bobblehead
06-16-2021, 10:45 AM
I don't recall the packers paying Jordy anything after he left, could be referring to left over signing bonus. In any event I don't want to delve into that. What I would point out is Jordy indicated he would take a pay cut to stay but they never even approached him. Then they signed Jimmy Grahams corpse for similar to what Jordy would have been paid. That was a huge mistake from every angle and it is part of what soured me on Gutes early on. Jordy is STILL a better blocker at his current age and shape. He was a much better receiver than Jimmy, so that move was stupid from a loyalty and talent standpoint. I partially blamed fat mike for it because I was convinced he was chirping in Gutes ear about how TT never got him a weapon at TE and if he just had that he could win.

red
06-16-2021, 03:10 PM
Yup, and we let Jared cook walk who ended up being better then graham that next year anyways

Jordy bled green and gold, and the fans loved him back, not even thinking about keeping him when he was begging to stay was just horrible

Joemailman
06-16-2021, 03:34 PM
There were reports at the time that the Packers offered Jordy a very low contract. Maybe it was too low, given Jordy's stature, but the narrative here that the Packers didn't even consider keeping him seems questionable.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2018/2018/3/15/17127988/packers-contract-offer-to-jordy-nelson-was-embarrassing-according-to-james-jones

George Cumby
06-16-2021, 05:28 PM
APB quoting TT. The worlds is coming to an end.

"Dogs and cats living together!"

Joemailman
06-16-2021, 05:34 PM
"Dogs and cats living together!"

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qtgWvF1wsgM/maxresdefault.jpg

Rastak
06-16-2021, 05:34 PM
There were reports at the time that the Packers offered Jordy a very low contract. Maybe it was too low, given Jordy's stature, but the narrative here that the Packers didn't even consider keeping him seems questionable.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2018/2018/3/15/17127988/packers-contract-offer-to-jordy-nelson-was-embarrassing-according-to-james-jones

Not sure if they were true but the low ball reporting was there. Seems Rodgers is still pissed about it. He's always pissed so it makes a certain amount of sense.

Spaulding
06-16-2021, 06:17 PM
Out of curiosity Rastak, what's the opinion of non Packer's view of the Rodger's position? I know both sides could likely have done things better but the Bears and Vikings fans I know (or at least the ones I've recently spoken to) all seem to love the drama surrounding the Packers. They also think Rodgers is a whiner on the field and thus although respect his obviously great talent, think he deserves all of this.

Rastak
06-16-2021, 06:36 PM
Out of curiosity Rastak, what's the opinion of non Packer's view of the Rodger's position? I know both sides could likely have done things better but the Bears and Vikings fans I know (or at least the ones I've recently spoken to) all seem to love the drama surrounding the Packers. They also think Rodgers is a whiner on the field and thus although respect his obviously great talent, think he deserves all of this.

Good question, I will try to be 100% honest. First, I'm pretty surprised by it all. I mostly disliked Rodgers because he's my favorite team's rival. Second because he's REALLY good at what he does. Third because he seemed like a super arrogant ass. I've slightly come around to realize he's a real smart and real odd dude. His acting and such has gotten better and better in the last years and he also played great. Just like you, I don't know why he is so pissed at Green Bay for sure but I do hope he never plays there again for homer reasons. To really answer your question, a player can sour on any team and that's fair. I can't comment on what he really wants because "it's a mystery". If he wants to decide who is on or off the team, I'd have to side with the Packers. It is a team game at the end of the day.

Bretsky
06-16-2021, 07:39 PM

I saw reports of 2.5MIL/year as well as the Vet Mimimum; you can be the judge of if they offered him a remotely fair to stay or if they were half assed attempts to keep somebody they really didn't around anymore.

Nobody thinks he wanted to leave that I know of

wthigoot
06-17-2021, 12:55 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/6/16/22537524/jay-glazer-aaron-rodgers-still-wants-out

Non-update update to keep the story going. I think if Rodgers really wants out it is already clear to everyone and there probably isn't any resolving it. As Rastak said, things go sour and we can't really know why. My guess is that it is broken, and it is a matter now of when to make the trade to get the maximum return. Hope that is wrong - I think the plan was for Love to become a solid backup in years 2-3-4 and then to make a decision after the 2023-24 season to trade either Love or Rodgers. That is still what I would like to see.

I would look for a John Hadl type trade for Rodgers if it comes to that - 2 1s, 2 2s, and a 3; players could be substituted for draft picks (but 2 1sts required). Should be able to get that as there would be at least 3-4 teams willing to consider that in trade.

texaspackerbacker
06-17-2021, 02:18 AM
So you have a former Packer player saying one thing, and this God damned media shithead saying something directly contradictory. Who are you gonna believe? As for me and mine, there's no doubt.

George Cumby
06-17-2021, 08:11 AM
As for me and mine, there's no doubt.

You are SO close.

Joemailman
06-17-2021, 08:31 AM
James Jones works for NFL Network. What to believe when a former Packer player is now a God damned media shithead? Life is so confusing.

sharpe1027
06-17-2021, 08:33 AM

It's a theory, but you need a group of actors to have a conspiracy.

Spaulding
06-17-2021, 08:35 AM
Good question, I will try to be 100% honest. First, I'm pretty surprised by it all. I mostly disliked Rodgers because he's my favorite team's rival. Second because he's REALLY good at what he does. Third because he seemed like a super arrogant ass. I've slightly come around to realize he's a real smart and real odd dude. His acting and such has gotten better and better in the last years and he also played great. Just like you, I don't know why he is so pissed at Green Bay for sure but I do hope he never plays there again for homer reasons. To really answer your question, a player can sour on any team and that's fair. I can't comment on what he really wants because "it's a mystery". If he wants to decide who is on or off the team, I'd have to side with the Packers. It is a team game at the end of the day.

Thanks, appreciate the honest and thoughtful opinion. I guess like he said after the Tampa loss, it's a beautiful mystery. Although I instead might coin it a "drama filled mystery" myself.

King Friday
06-17-2021, 09:16 AM
Yup, and we let Jared cook walk who ended up being better then graham that next year anyways

Jordy bled green and gold, and the fans loved him back, not even thinking about keeping him when he was begging to stay was just horrible

Fans would've held on to Favre, which would've been a mistake. Just because a guy has played for 10 years in Green Bay doesn't mean he should be given a free pass to stay on the roster until he's a complete waste. Granted, Jordy had a little gas left in the tank, but not much. His game was predicated on speed, and he was getting close to losing a step. It is always better to get rid of a guy a year too early then a year too late. The Packers of the 70s were great at holding on to guys way too long, and that is what put the franchise into a tailspin. That is precisely why you put a guy like Gute in charge of the final decision, who doesn't give a rats ass about how a player feels. You ultimately can't...if you want to stay on top. The mistake Green Bay has made is that they also need someone in the decision making process who does have that connection to feeling and can push back when appropriate. For most teams, I think the owner is that guy. When Tom Brady was pissed off with having Jimmy G around, he got Kraft involved. Without that option available, the Packers seem very callous. I believe that is the primary thing Rodgers is upset about. I can see his point...it would benefit Green Bay to have a strong player advocate in the decision making process. It won't change every decision, but it might impact some...such as Jordy's. You need a balance, and I'm not sure Green Bay has that.

Joemailman
06-18-2021, 10:26 PM
Because inquiring minds want to know:

The Score WI
@thescorewi
· 11h
#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers has renewed his membership to Green Bay Country Club for the remainder of the year according to our sources. #NFL

red
06-19-2021, 08:39 PM
Because inquiring minds want to know:

But the real question is, is his house for sale or not?

Joemailman
06-19-2021, 08:51 PM
But the real question is, is his house for sale or not?

I don't know, but for just 6.9 million, you can be his neighbor.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/01/15/PGRB/2ac305fc-9d04-42f1-8e85-42f1ace0f66f-FondaFields-1.jpg?width=1320&height=882&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

red
06-19-2021, 09:56 PM
modest

nothing like an authentic 16th century english estate, in NE wisconsin

King Friday
06-20-2021, 09:48 AM
Nothing says upscale like a 2 car garage and gravel driveway on a $7m property.

red
06-20-2021, 10:08 AM
Probably couldn't afford to pave the driveway after spending 50 grand on windows for the garage

Zool
06-20-2021, 04:11 PM
I like what they've done with the yard. Tons of curb appeal. The dead tree is a nice touch.

call_me_ishmael
06-20-2021, 08:35 PM
Is that really ARod's house? Dayum!

Joemailman
06-20-2021, 09:20 PM
Is that really ARod's house? Dayum!

No. It's the house next door.

call_me_ishmael
06-20-2021, 09:24 PM
No. It's the house next door.

I don't know why, but I always assumed Aaron had a modest house (as far as houses go) because A) who is gonna buy a multi-million dollar home in GB when it's time to sell it (other than teammates and business owners, not a lot of people with that sort of money) and B) because he is a bachelor. Based on the neighborhood, I guess I was wrong.

George Cumby
06-20-2021, 09:37 PM
Ugly AF IMO.

Joemailman
06-21-2021, 12:12 PM
Florio REALLY reading between the lines of MLF comments thinks Rodgers will be at training camp. https://www.nbcsports.com/video/matt-lafleur-hints-aaron-rodgers-return-packers-training-camp

Joemailman
06-24-2021, 08:37 PM
Davante said "when he returns." :glug:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E4qIs-HXoAQ0VgD?format=jpg&name=large

call_me_ishmael
06-24-2021, 10:19 PM
Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens. Training camp starts normally right after the 4th of july, right? Should be fun!

Joemailman
06-24-2021, 10:27 PM
Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens. Training camp starts normally right after the 4th of july, right? Should be fun!

No. July 27th.

Upnorth
06-24-2021, 11:23 PM
Saskatchewan roughriders training camp starts July 2nd. I am going to try to make it for a couple but it's a 3 hr drive

Sparkey
06-25-2021, 07:27 AM
Aaron Rodgers could opt out by July 2nd and keep all his $$$.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/25/aaron-rodgers-does-indeed-have-an-opt-out-silver-bullet-for-2021/amp/

ThunderDan
06-25-2021, 10:10 AM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/25/aaron-rodgers-does-indeed-have-an-opt-out-silver-bullet-for-2021/amp/

Except, he couldn't be traded then. It isn't a silver bullet for ARod. If he truly is trying to get off of the Packers this year and permanently, he would completely screw himself. He would have no value to any team at that point.

Zool
06-25-2021, 10:15 AM
Except, he couldn't be traded then. It isn't a silver bullet for ARod. If he truly is trying to get off of the Packers this year and permanently, he would completely screw himself. He would have no value to any team at that point.

Maybe he should come out and say what it is he wants so fans can stop thinking about it. I mean, without the fans, there's $240M in his bank account.

King Friday
06-25-2021, 10:27 AM

This is good for Green Bay. It forces Rodgers to basically show his hand to the public within a weeks time. If he doesn't opt out, then it proves that Rodgers knows he can't lose a full year in his prime and that he is probably open to working with Green Bay on reconciliation. If he does opt out, then the Packers know the bridge is burned and they are moving forward with Love. Choosing to not opt out is going to make a training camp holdout lose a ton of merit.

I've said this before, but it merits repeating. Aaron Rodgers earns more in endorsements than he does from his football salary. Those endorsements lose significant value if he isn't playing football. You can damn well guarantee State Farm ain't gonna pay him 7 figures to pimp their insurance if he sits out the whole year. That is precisely why they have Mahomes in the mix too. Rodgers stands to lose a lot of money outside of the Packers salary if he sits out next season.

Fritz
06-25-2021, 12:35 PM
This is good for Green Bay. It forces Rodgers to basically show his hand to the public within a weeks time. If he doesn't opt out, then it proves that Rodgers knows he can't lose a full year in his prime and that he is probably open to working with Green Bay on reconciliation. If he does opt out, then the Packers know the bridge is burned and they are moving forward with Love. Choosing to not opt out is going to make a training camp holdout lose a ton of merit.

I've said this before, but it merits repeating. Aaron Rodgers earns more in endorsements than he does from his football salary. Those endorsements lose significant value if he isn't playing football. You can damn well guarantee State Farm ain't gonna pay him 7 figures to pimp their insurance if he sits out the whole year. That is precisely why they have Mahomes in the mix too. Rodgers stands to lose a lot of money outside of the Packers salary if he sits out next season.

I think this actually could be a good thing for the Packers and for Rodgers, too. As you write, it forces Rodgers to show his hand - something he has been loathe to do. Now, that "could be" is dependent upon how this is all structured and how it goes down. If Rodgers must inform the league by Friday the 2nd, and he waits until the last second to do so, the Packers are screwed. And I think Rodgers wants to screw the team. All the team can do is shrug, move on, and remind Rodgers that they still have him under contract for 2022.

If he informs the Packers ahead of time that he intends to opt out, that gives them one week to trade him. They have some leverage - they can tell teams if they don't like the offers, they'll just play without Rodgers for the year, and I think after that he's still under contract with Green Bay. That would give them some return on Rodgers and he can play for another team, as he seems to wish to do.

If he does not opt out, he costs himself money and keeps things muddy. If he continues to play passive/aggressive and if the team does not make some public moves to reconciliate with him, that would be bad. That would be the worst scenario, in my opinion.

CaptainKickass
06-25-2021, 04:04 PM
...that would be bad. That would be the worst scenario, in my opinion.

No Fritz

THIS is the würst case scenario!

https://i.redd.it/o95h5vlg8q401.jpg

Upnorth
06-25-2021, 05:45 PM
No Fritz

THIS is the würst case scenario!

https://i.redd.it/o95h5vlg8q401.jpg

What's the warranty on that?
That is some nice looking slip joint pliers

red
06-26-2021, 05:45 PM
So, this is the nuclear option.

If he's really serious about never playing for the Packers again, and they won't trade him then he is left with 2 options. Retire and give back a bunch of money, or opt out and keep it

I can see him doing it. It would be a dick move on his part, but it would be a dick move by the team to go after bonus money in the first place

red
06-26-2021, 05:48 PM
I think this actually could be a good thing for the Packers and for Rodgers, too. As you write, it forces Rodgers to show his hand - something he has been loathe to do. Now, that "could be" is dependent upon how this is all structured and how it goes down. If Rodgers must inform the league by Friday the 2nd, and he waits until the last second to do so, the Packers are screwed. And I think Rodgers wants to screw the team. All the team can do is shrug, move on, and remind Rodgers that they still have him under contract for 2022.

If he informs the Packers ahead of time that he intends to opt out, that gives them one week to trade him. They have some leverage - they can tell teams if they don't like the offers, they'll just play without Rodgers for the year, and I think after that he's still under contract with Green Bay. That would give them some return on Rodgers and he can play for another team, as he seems to wish to do.

If he does not opt out, he costs himself money and keeps things muddy. If he continues to play passive/aggressive and if the team does not make some public moves to reconciliate with him, that would be bad. That would be the worst scenario, in my opinion.
Seems pretty obvious that the team has known forr at least the whole off-season what his intensions are, and the team damn well showed they knew his intensions by sending everyone in the building to fly out there and talk him back

red
06-26-2021, 05:49 PM

I think you could say that by the team not trading him before the draft that they had already killed the market for him for this year

ThunderDan
06-26-2021, 07:26 PM
I think you could say that by the team not trading him before the draft that they had already killed the market for him for this year

I don’t think so. You could still get a nice bunch of draft picks and a player.

I think the Packers saying they won’t trade him is the reality from the team’s stand point. We aren’t trading ARod this year. It’s now up to ARod to decide if he is coming back or sitting out the year.

Joemailman
06-26-2021, 09:35 PM
If he's not coming back, the best time to trade Rodgers would be after the season and before the draft. By waiting until after the season, you have a better idea of what you'll be getting in terms of draft picks. Plus, you'll probably have quite a few teams looking to upgrade their QB situation. The more teams you have interested in Rodgers, the better deal you should be able to get.

I could see the following teams possibly looking for a QB after the 2021 season:

Houston
Denver
Carolina
Miami (depending on how Tua does)
N.Y. Giants
Detroit
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Washington
Philadelphia
Oakland
Tampa Bay (if Brady retires)

Fritz
06-28-2021, 07:54 AM
I don’t think so. You could still get a nice bunch of draft picks and a player.

I think the Packers saying they won’t trade him is the reality from the team’s stand point. We aren’t trading ARod this year. It’s now up to ARod to decide if he is coming back or sitting out the year.

If I understand how it all works, if Arod opts out this season due to Covid, he keeps his money but then next year he's still under contract with the Packers. If he retires and sits for a year, on the other hand, he could un-retire after one year and be a free agent. Is that correct?

I wonder if maybe he's going to just sit out and thus drag this all out and make it as ugly as he can. It seems at times that his goal is not resolution but punishment.

Sparkey
06-28-2021, 09:09 AM
If I understand how it all works, if Arod opts out this season due to Covid, he keeps his money but then next year he's still under contract with the Packers. If he retires and sits for a year, on the other hand, he could un-retire after one year and be a free agent. Is that correct?

I wonder if maybe he's going to just sit out and thus drag this all out and make it as ugly as he can. It seems at times that his goal is not resolution but punishment.

If the player decides to come back within the contract period, the team owns the rights to that player.

jklowan
06-28-2021, 01:17 PM

ProFootballTalk.com reports Aaron Rodgers could save $18.3 million in unearned signing bonus money and roster bonus money if he opts out of the 2021 season by July 2.
It's a new wrinkle in the NFL MVP's offseason saga, and one that should cause tremendous heartburn in the Packers' front office. An agreement between the league and the player's union struck this week grants "broad powers to all players to opt out of the 2021 season, regardless of whether they opted out in 2020 or whether they have been diagnosed with a higher-risk condition since October 1, 2020." Last year, dozens of players opted out of the season due to COVID-19 concerns. The Packers have been crystal clear that they will not trade Rodgers. He'll play for Green Bay or no one in 2021. Jordan Love, meanwhile, has taken almost all of the first-team reps in Green Bay offseason practices, making up for his lack of reps during the COVID-shortened 2020 offseason. Love under center this season would be a major hit to the fantasy value of all Packers skill position players.

George Cumby
06-28-2021, 01:19 PM
If he opts out for Covid, he will be a first ballot inductee to the Passive-Aggressive Hall of Fame.

jklowan
06-28-2021, 01:20 PM
If Aaron Rodgers stays away from the #Packers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Packers?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) for the entire 2021 season, he stands to lose:
– $500,000 workout bonus
– $93,085 minicamp fines
– $2.05M training camp fines
– $14.7M base salary lost
– $6.8M roster bonus unpaid
– $11.5M signing bonus recouped
Total: $35,643,085
— Spotrac (@spotrac) June 11, 2021 (https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1403412729046654976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

jklowan
06-28-2021, 01:22 PM
I would not be surprised if he opts out, he keeps some money and makes his point and gets traded in the offseason

Fritz
06-28-2021, 03:04 PM
I would not be surprised if he opts out, he keeps some money and makes his point and gets traded in the offseason

I wonder though if the NFL's other owners would pressure the Packers to NOT trade Rodgers if he does this. They can't possibly want to turn the NFL into a version of the NBA in which a few elite players are able to call all the shots.

Someone smart posted that even if Rodgers retires instead and then comes back in a year, he'd still be under contract to the Packers. So if his goal is to get the Packers to trade him - if that's really what he wants - the only leverage he has is to make things as unbearable as possible for the team (and therefore the front office). To me, that would mean acting like the worst Brett Favre-in-his-last-years as he can - becoming a ghostly presence that haunts the team. Showing up and deliberately changing almost every play? Not showing up but not retiring, either? Maybe. Opting out of this year and staying home and collecting a paycheck, knowing next year will seem even more unbearable? Very possibly.

ThunderDan
06-28-2021, 05:59 PM

The Packers have ARod under contract for 3 years. It doesn’t matter when they happen.

This is why BF asked the Jets to void his contract when he “retired” from the Jets. He wouldn’t have been able to go to the Vikings unless the Jets traded him.

Fritz
06-29-2021, 08:02 AM
Then Arod's best and only option seems to be just making things as miserable as possible for the Green Bay Packers.

But the man has honed his passive-aggressive skills over the years, so he may be positioned for great success in this arena.

I can see him making things as painful as possible at every turn. Trying to subtly get his teammates to back him publicly. Staying away from camp, then showing up suddenly. Carping about personnel decisions in a bland, passive-aggressive way. Going out of his way to lobby for the team to keep certain players and expressing disgust if the team cuts said players. And so on and so on.

For Rodgers, "training camp" means standing in front of a mirror and working on those infamous eye-rolls.

Spaulding
06-29-2021, 09:50 AM
Maybe I'm completely delusional but I see no way he sits out the year regardless of how pissed off he is at the front office. He's in the twilight of his career with likely very few high level seasons of play left. Between that simple fact and his competitive nature it goes against logic to lose a year. Not to mention the stigma he'd have from opting out this year when he didn't last year as there would be no way to disguise it being anything other than pettiness.

I have to believe he plays this year, whether he shows up at some point during training camp and works behind the scenes to secure his trade to another team after the season or he patches things up to the point that the marriage stays intact for the kids (i.e. fans).

Upnorth
06-29-2021, 11:46 AM
Maybe I'm completely delusional but I see no way he sits out the year regardless of how pissed off he is at the front office. He's in the twilight of his career with likely very few high level seasons of play left. Between that simple fact and his competitive nature it goes against logic to lose a year. Not to mention the stigma he'd have from opting out this year when he didn't last year as there would be no way to disguise it being anything other than pettiness.

I have to believe he plays this year, whether he shows up at some point during training camp and works behind the scenes to secure his trade to another team after the season or he patches things up to the point that the marriage stays intact for the kids (i.e. fans).

I kinda think you are right

King Friday
06-29-2021, 01:00 PM
For Rodgers to go scorched earth, he would risk an awful lot. His endorsements would become far more tentative. He would risk never having his name hang in Lambeau. His full on pout would be a significant aspect to his career and legacy...all to leave a team that has the talent to contend for a title the next few years if he would just STFU and play.

To some extent, Rodgers has a point on the Packers front office. However, it would seem to be an extent that is by no means worth sullying your legacy and reputation. This is why I've always thought he would return...as there really is no other option to leave unless he acts like a complete douchebag. He's weird, but I think he's also smart. It would be a stupid move to go nuclear.

RashanGary
06-29-2021, 02:48 PM
For Rodgers to go scorched earth, he would risk an awful lot. His endorsements would become far more tentative. He would risk never having his name hang in Lambeau. His full on pout would be a significant aspect to his career and legacy...all to leave a team that has the talent to contend for a title the next few years if he would just STFU and play.

To some extent, Rodgers has a point on the Packers front office. However, it would seem to be an extent that is by no means worth sullying your legacy and reputation. This is why I've always thought he would return...as there really is no other option to leave unless he acts like a complete douchebag. He's weird, but I think he's also smart. It would be a stupid move to go nuclear.

Yep. Maybe he gets a guaranteed couple more years but I think that is all he can coerce. Upon not getting exactly what he wants but something in between, I think he accepts it rather than go nuclear.

Spaulding
06-29-2021, 03:09 PM
If he keeps playing at an MVP level then he has nothing to worry about. I would be hard pressed to think the front office would switch to Love if Rodgers level of play was that high. The only variable would be an injury by Rodgers during the season that results in Love shining and the Packers making the break to look towards the future.

More likely though Love struggles and the Packers go back to Rodgers when healthy.

Bretsky
06-30-2021, 08:15 PM
He won't opt out. But that would be the classic F'ck off Gutebag if he did.

But I just don't see any way he opts out

red
07-02-2021, 08:04 AM
today would be the last day for the opt out option

Sparkey
07-02-2021, 01:08 PM

3pm CST

RashanGary
07-02-2021, 08:33 PM

Sam Acho said at the cba, 12 showed up on the last day and argued that they don't need offseason work. Acho said he thinks 12 just doesn't want to do offseason work anyway so that's a part of why he's staying away. The people problems gives him more of an excuse but he didn't want to be there anyway.

Watch him show up for camp like nothing happened. 12 has become 4 and right on schedule

Zool
07-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Did they get him a separate locker room yet?

RashanGary
07-02-2021, 09:58 PM
Did they get him a separate locker room yet?

And a travelling priest :lol:

Bretsky
07-04-2021, 09:48 AM
And a travelling priest :lol:

mail order Hollywood wife ? :)))))

Fritz
07-04-2021, 02:31 PM
He certainly does seem to be going down Brent Favre Road. Which means he'll (eventually) show up, and make things miserable for as many people as possible, in an attempt to show up the front office. But I don't agree with Friday that this will in any way endanger his chance to be in the Packer Hall of Fame. When Brent came back, it was all love and roses. And he really was a dick about it all - I want to retire, I might retire, I'm retiring, I'm retiring I think, I don't know what I want, I want to play, I'm mad the Packers didn't wait for me with baited breath, I don't want to play for the Packers but I want to play, blah blah blah. Yet he was still welcomed back to Packerland with open arms once a few years had passed.

NFL history isn't what really happened; it's what we wish had happened.

So at this point, I do think Rodgeres will come bacck - after most of training camp is over - but I think that his coming back will NOT mean that everything's all better. Quite the contrary.

RashanGary
07-04-2021, 05:13 PM
He certainly does seem to be going down Brent Favre Road. Which means he'll (eventually) show up, and make things miserable for as many people as possible, in an attempt to show up the front office. But I don't agree with Friday that this will in any way endanger his chance to be in the Packer Hall of Fame. When Brent came back, it was all love and roses. And he really was a dick about it all - I want to retire, I might retire, I'm retiring, I'm retiring I think, I don't know what I want, I want to play, I'm mad the Packers didn't wait for me with baited breath, I don't want to play for the Packers but I want to play, blah blah blah. Yet he was still welcomed back to Packerland with open arms once a few years had passed.

So at this point, I do think Rodgeres will come bacck - after most of training camp is over - but I think that his coming back will NOT mean that everything's all better. Quite the contrary.

I think he’ll make it for the start of training camp. He knows a year off of football would kill his value for a new contract. He still has to perform if he wants to make all that money.

RashanGary
07-04-2021, 05:17 PM
Plus, Rodgers is cementing a legacy too. He has to play and perform to keep adding to his career accomplishments. The Packers have a great offense for him to play in, with guys he knows and trusts. He doesn’t want to start over. If anything, he’d like a 5 year guarantee to stay where he’s at.

Speaking of which, I’d be all for signing him to an all guaranteed deal for 5 years with no trade clauses if he agreed to reasonable numbers that were a discount. If he wants security to finish his career with chemistry and continuity on the same offense, he should take a pay cut knowing he’s gonna be a legacy player with endorsements and perks for the rest of his life.

red
07-04-2021, 05:40 PM

when you start to see a pattern form you have to look for the common denominator

RashanGary
07-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Rodgers wants to finish with security and on the same stable team so he doesnt have to start over and has his best chance for success down the stretch. The Packers want to win a SB and have to do so under the salary cap.

Compromise!

Rodgers signs a 5 year fully guaranteed deal until the age of 42 with no trade clauses.

5 year 162 guarantee

Year 1 27 guaranteed
Year 2 30 guaranteed
Year 3 33 guaranteed
Year 4 36 guaranteed
Year 5 36 guaranteed

Rodgers is guaranteed to finish his career on a team with chemistry. The Packers get a HOF player at a discount so will be able to surround him with an elite team.

And Davante has a chance to go into the HOF if he plays for the Rodgers lead Packers for 5 more years.

Win/win/win

Rodgers gives up some money for security and a stable finish to his career on one team.

Sparkey
07-04-2021, 08:34 PM
Rodgers wants to finish with security and on the same stable team so he doesnt have to start over and has his best chance for success down the stretch. The Packers want to win a SB and have to do so under the salary cap.

Compromise!

Rodgers signs a 5 year fully guaranteed deal until the age of 42 with no trade clauses.

5 year 162 guarantee

Year 1 27 guaranteed
Year 2 30 guaranteed
Year 3 33 guaranteed
Year 4 36 guaranteed
Year 5 36 guaranteed

Rodgers is guaranteed to finish his career on a team with chemistry. The Packers get a HOF player at a discount so will be able to surround him with an elite team.

And Davante has a chance to go into the HOF if he plays for the Rodgers lead Packers for 5 more years.

Win/win/win

Rodgers gives up some money for security and a stable finish to his career on one team.

WTH are you smoking? That is a nightmare contract.

NewsBruin
07-04-2021, 09:36 PM
We'd be the belles of the ball at league meetings as the front office that opened the Forbidden Door by giving a superstar a fully guaranteed multiyear no-trade contract (we're all forgetting Kirk Cousins).

EDIT: And a player who had multiple years on his existing contract, at that.

Bretsky
07-04-2021, 09:42 PM
WTH are you smoking? That is a nightmare contract.

I think that would be an ok contract if you believe AROD had a few good years left and we want to keep him

RashanGary
07-04-2021, 10:41 PM
33M/year over 5 years isn’t a bad contract. Mahommes averages 40 I think. Lamar will average 40. 40 is the new 30 and 33 is reasonable. I’d give him a guaranteed contract for five years if it was discounted. The NFL isn’t security. If he wants security, he should give something up for it.

texaspackerbacker
07-04-2021, 11:48 PM
It's only a nightmare contract if Rodgers turns bad or gets ruined by injury - both of which IMO are highly unlikely. You could lessen the early year cap hit with a big bonus, of course, and not guaranteed at the end, but I like this better. Just the same, it's highly unlikely to happen because the GM, etc. probably don't have the confidence (which they should have IMO) that Rodgers will be great for five more years.

RashanGary
07-05-2021, 05:58 AM
It's only a nightmare contract if Rodgers turns bad or gets ruined by injury - both of which IMO are highly unlikely. You could lessen the early year cap hit with a big bonus, of course, and not guaranteed at the end, but I like this better. Just the same, it's highly unlikely to happen because the GM, etc. probably don't have the confidence (which they should have IMO) that Rodgers will be great for five more years.

If Rodgers stays in the same offense, on the same team, I see no reason he can’t give 5 more good years. The problem for him comes if he has to start over on a new team at age 40. I think that would be a challenge. But with MLF likely to be around for a number of years, Rodgers would be in a situation with long term coaching stability and some stability and chemistry around him with players. If he signs a 5 year, fully guaranteed deal at a discount, I think that would be good for both parties. It insures Rodgers has the best finish to his career and it gets the last goood years out of a HOF QB for the Packers.

Sparkey
07-05-2021, 01:11 PM
If Rodgers stays in the same offense, on the same team, I see no reason he can’t give 5 more good years. The problem for him comes if he has to start over on a new team at age 40. I think that would be a challenge. But with MLF likely to be around for a number of years, Rodgers would be in a situation with long term coaching stability and some stability and chemistry around him with players. If he signs a 5 year, fully guaranteed deal at a discount, I think that would be good for both parties. It insures Rodgers has the best finish to his career and it gets the last goood years out of a HOF QB for the Packers.

Except your 5 year extension added onto the three years left on his contract will be a dead weight around the organization for at least 4 years, If not more.

texaspackerbacker
07-05-2021, 01:26 PM
hahahaha - whiners gonna whine. I wouldn't rule out 8 more great Rodgers years. Anyway, as I said, this is theoretical and likely wouldn't ever happen in that form. If such a contract was done, though, there's no reason it couldn't begin now, replacing not adding onto the current three years.

RashanGary
07-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Except your 5 year extension added onto the three years left on his contract will be a dead weight around the organization for at least 4 years, If not more.

You really think Rodgers is gonna be dead weight after this year? I’m not all the way with Tex, but I sure do think Rodgers can (if he’s in a good situation) play at a very high level until age 42.

Favre had a great year with Minnesota in a new offense at the age of 40. Rodgers takes better care of himself, has always had more speed and leg talent, has little to no drop off in arm talent…. There’s no reason, in a good chemistry environment, Rodgers can’t have great years into his early 40s.

RashanGary
07-05-2021, 01:57 PM
Of all great QBs, Rodgers might be the guy who does the most and plays the best with long term chemistry players. Keeping Adams and Lazard and developing Amari Rodgers, plus Tonyan and Jones and Dillon would give Rodgers a great chemistry set for the last 5 years. If the Packers chose to go all in on Rodgers and keep him surrounded with chemistry guys, Rosgers can make hay into his 40s for sure!

RashanGary
07-05-2021, 02:00 PM
And the Packers draft abd develop OL well. There’s just no reason a long term commitment has to backfire. I’m very curious how this unfolds. I’ll be happy with either direction.

If they love, Love and move on in the next year or two, I’m excited.

If they long term commit to Rodgers and build a legacy chemistry team around him to finish off a HOF career, I’m excited.

I see a couple possible directions and I’m ok with either

Teamcheez1
07-07-2021, 07:45 AM
We’ll see, we’ll see, we’ll see.

red
07-07-2021, 08:25 AM
We’ll see, we’ll see, we’ll see.

he didn't exactly say anything to put the rumors to rest did he?

run pMc
07-07-2021, 10:32 AM
I don't know.