PDA

View Full Version : AR wants out?!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tony Oday
04-29-2021, 02:48 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31359453/aaron-rodgers-want-return-green-bay-packers-sources-say

Well there goes the season...err...decade?

King Friday
04-29-2021, 02:49 PM
The decision to draft Love has put Gute square on the hot seat.

Tony Oday
04-29-2021, 02:50 PM
The decision to draft Love has put Gute square on the hot seat.

Trade Love, get Julio and Draft Rashod.

hoosier
04-29-2021, 02:51 PM
Oh for fucks sake, I cannot believe how thin skinned our diva stars are these days. Doesn't want to play? Ok, hope he has fun doing whatever it is he does when he's not playing in the NFL.

King Friday
04-29-2021, 02:55 PM
If your boss hired a whiz kid from Harvard to learn your job when you weren't ready to move on, you'd be pissed too.

red
04-29-2021, 02:56 PM
Trade Love, get Julio and Draft Rashod.

It almost sounds like the bridge had now been burned

I'm guessing rodgers team put this out after finding out the Packers turned down the trade yesterday

George Cumby
04-29-2021, 02:57 PM
Here we go, again.

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 03:02 PM
Here we go, again.

Trade him to the Jets.

Zool
04-29-2021, 03:03 PM
How long before the tear-filled, first retirement press conference? I forget the timeline on these things.

He's kind of being a little bitch about the whole thing.

hoosier
04-29-2021, 03:12 PM
If your boss hired a whiz kid from Harvard to learn your job when you weren't ready to move on, you'd be pissed too.

Well then I guess I would need to just get over myself.

King Friday
04-29-2021, 03:12 PM
Rodgers has always been a passive aggressive asshole...even more reason not to draft Love unless you were 100 percent ready to roll with him in August 2021.

red
04-29-2021, 03:14 PM
Shefler just said they have been trying to give him a new extension all off-season, he has been refusing it

Murphy, gutey and lefleur have all flown out there trying to fix the problem

He's pissed

He's also saying that teams have been calling trying to trade for him, bit the Packers are turning them down

Zool
04-29-2021, 03:15 PM
Other than give Rodgers $240M, what have they done for him? Seriously, only a quarter billion dollars? That's not near enough to buy some loyalty.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 03:17 PM
How long before the tear-filled, first retirement press conference? I forget the timeline on these things.

:lol: your sarcasm is hilarious when it’s not directed at me

red

Don't blame him. 8 of the last 9 first round picks have been defensive players, the 9th was his replacement

We were one or two plays away from another super bowl last year. A first or second round player that would have contributed at all, might have given us a super bowl

Yup, rodgers seems like a dick, but the team has done about the bare minimum in the draft and through free agency to help him on offense

Bossman641
What does he want at this point? Extension? No

hoosier
04-29-2021, 03:18 PM
I like the Jets idea.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Love is in a good situation. Good team. Hopefully 3 1st round picks for Rodgers. The cap gets immediately fixed with Rodgers out. Love is in the second year in the same offense and has had a full year to iron out some of his flaws. I like every football year, even the ones that don’t end in championships. I’d be ok without Rodgers. I’d be ok with a step back. It’s just football.

scharpcheddar
04-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Lolol. Just more propaganda. Rodgers will stay or go wherever the nfl tells him to.
Entertainment.

red
04-29-2021, 03:20 PM
What does he want at this point? Extension? No

Out of green bay it seems, nothing more at this point

red
04-29-2021, 03:22 PM
I like the Jets idea.

They have 2 first rounds picks, right

What other teams do? Dolphins?

Would rodgers agree to go to a shit team?

I would think san fran was were he would want to be

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Wow. Guarantee the source on this article in Rodgers himself.

He is trying to get traded tonight to the Niners. Holy shit.

If I'm the Packers, I'm calling Jacksonville.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 03:23 PM
Rodgers should have learned from favre that when you blow everything up, you blow up too. The Packers have to plan for life after Rodgers. It’s not as personal as it feels.

Guiness
04-29-2021, 03:25 PM
Trade him to the Jets.

In a kismet sort of way, the Jet are looking for a QB again (still? lol) so just maybe...

red
04-29-2021, 03:25 PM
Rodgers should have learned from favre that when you blow everything up, you blow up too. The Packers have to plan for life after Rodgers. It’s not as personal as it feels.

Rodgers hadn't been talking about retiring for half a decade like fave did.

In fact he kept saying he planned on playing into his 40s

The Packers are the one that tried to move on after rodgers had a slightly down year

scharpcheddar
04-29-2021, 03:26 PM
REPORT: Broncos and Raiders are the "likely destinations" if an Aaron Rodgers trade does happen.
https://t.co/WqhxQeHmdf

hoosier
04-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Don't blame him. 8 of the last 9 first round picks have been defensive players, the 9th was his replacement

We were one or two plays away from another super bowl last year. A first or second round player that would have contributed at all, might have given us a super bowl

So might the quarterback if he had just tucked the ball and run on a certain third-and-goal play.

call_me_ishmael
Jesus, the timing to the nuke says he doesn't want an extension, he really wants out. Bite the hand that feeds I guess.

red
Wow. Guarantee the source on this article in Rodgers himself.

He is trying to get traded tonight to the Niners. Holy shit.

If I'm the Packers, I'm calling Jacksonville.

I wouldn't mind getting that #3 pick, then trading that for a shitload of picks. But I wouldn't want jimmy G and his contract as part of the deal

And how many players would we have to release in order to take on his cap hit if traded?

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 03:31 PM
Man, I kind of feel bad for the dudes drafted by the Packers tonight. Maybe all the players. The story of the day in the Gute presser won't be the first round pick who worked his ass off his whole life to get there, but it will be about Aaron. That's kinda shitty.

Upnorth
04-29-2021, 03:31 PM
If he really wants gone re work his contract and trade him if he means it. Reduce our salary cap, get another qb in draft. Get a wr and dt in fa. Extend Adams tonyon Lazard mvs z. No worries about cap this or next year.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 03:32 PM
Rodgers hadn't been talking about retiring for half a decade like fave did.

In fact he kept saying he planned on playing into his 40s

The Packers are the one that tried to move on after rodgers had a slightly down year

He’s 38. The Packers look to be good every year. A talented young QB is a luxury behind a HOFer but I understand planning for the whole picture. The whole racket is set up for these kinds of differences in opinion. It’s always gonna have drama because teams have different priorities than individual players. Secretly, Favre probably feels some redemption now. I was immature when I got so angry at favre. Life has its ups and downs. No ones fault.

Spaulding
[URL="http://https://images.app.goo.gl/pbVCni7iyDt93Z1u6"[/URL]

hoosier
This isn't about loyalty. Gute didn't try to "move on" from Rodgers, he was just doing his job by restocking talent at the most vital of positions. Rodgers doesn't owe the Packers any loyalty: the salary he's been paid was a fair return for services rendered, so nothing owed. But he does owe it to himself to try to understand how his profession works and to depersonalize what is essentially a business decision. His inability to do so speaks volumes about his immaturity and his narcissism.

Upnorth
I wouldn't mind getting that #3 pick, then trading that for a shitload of picks. But I wouldn't want jimmy G and his contract as part of the deal

And how many players would we have to release in order to take on his cap hit if traded?

Don't trade him if he won't rework to reduce our cap hit. Fuck him

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1387863211861446656

Wat.

Sources: The Packers reportedly told Aaron Rodgers they were going to trade him in the off season, then backed off. It’s been a bleep show between them ever since. And within the last week Rodgers told the team.. trade or no trade I’m not coming back. Buckle up folks

Assume the source is Aaron because it is. This is a Aaron Rodgers Nuke dropped today.

RashanGary
Man, I kind of feel bad for the dudes drafted by the Packers tonight. Maybe all the players. The story of the day in the Gute presser won't be the first round pick who worked his ass off his whole life to get there, but it will be about Aaron. That's kinda shitty.

True. Bad timing. I’m trying to have empathy all the way around. I’m definitely not gonna hate Rodgers the way I hated favre way back when. Favres a good guy and so is 12. Humans do human shit

scharpcheddar
REPORT: Broncos and Raiders are the "likely destinations" if an Aaron Rodgers trade does happen.
https://t.co/WqhxQeHmdf

Cough))

Fosco33
04-29-2021, 03:34 PM
At least Aaron put it out here before draft. Favre screwed us a couple times.

I’m done overpaying a QB. Many teams have shown you can get a lot done in first 5 years. And Aaron had a great year - w/ zero crowd noise. He’s been on downswing for awhile thru injuries and whatnot.

I’d have taken top 3 pick, players, etc - esp if Aaron is being a diva. How hard will he really try thru rest of contract.

He had about 4 hrs to dispute the rumor or it’s true.

Upnorth
04-29-2021, 03:36 PM
True. Bad timing. I’m trying to have empathy all the way around. I’m definitely not gonna hate Rodgers the way I hated favre way back when. Favres a good guy and so is 12. Humans do human shit

Won't hate him, but won't like him til he retires.

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 03:37 PM
https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1387849171156275201?s=20

His future is in Jeopardy.

Gold Jerry, Gold!

red
04-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Don't trade him if he won't rework to reduce our cap hit. Fuck him

I don't think you have any clue how nfl contracts work

This is not an option, there is no way to erase or ease the 30 whatever million in dead cap money he has this year

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 03:39 PM

Packers actually save 5.6 million on the cap if they trade him now. 22 million if after June 1.

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 03:39 PM
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1387863372541083651?s=20

From unimpeachable source: As of last night, Aaron Rodgers’ wish list was 49ers, Broncos, Raiders (not necessarily in that order). He wanted Packers to take the 49ers’ offer. Next move by Rodgers is TBD.

Source is probably Rodgers again.

red
04-29-2021, 03:42 PM
https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1387863211861446656

Wat.

Assume the source is Aaron because it is. This is a Aaron Rodgers Nuke dropped today.

We're finding out a lot of new shit right now

We haven't heard of this, haven't heard of the new extension offers, and haven't heard of the team management flying out to see him

If they told him they were gonna trade him, then turn down the trade offer to the team he wants to go to, then you're gonna have one pissed off aaron rodgers

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 03:43 PM
I'm tried of diva QBs. Let's do this.

scharpcheddar
04-29-2021, 03:43 PM
Yeah, this just happens to be announced on draft day....staged Entertainment

red
04-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Packers actually save 5.6 million on the cap if they trade him now. 22 million if after June 1.

How do trades work? I know if he's cut they have to take the whole cap him, or the post June split. But how much of a hit is it if he's traded?

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Denver would make the most sense. Can't imagine Gute would trade him to a chief NFC rival. Broncos pick 9th. Raiders 17th.

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 03:45 PM
If they really did tell him last season was his last in GB and then they changed their mind after the season he put together, it makes sense that he is fuming.

This is just bananas. He's under contract, though, so what can he really do if they don't deal him? He'll eventually agree to an extension or they'll move forward with Love.

Jordan Love had better be an absolute stud or that will go down as a serious debacle on Gooter's part.

Fosco33
04-29-2021, 03:47 PM

+1

scharpcheddar
04-29-2021, 03:49 PM

You're a hypocrite. They gave you SB wins

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 03:49 PM
I'll take self-absorbed divas for $500 Alex.

King Friday
04-29-2021, 03:52 PM
Quite honestly, I would not mind a haul of draft picks in next year's draft. That one will be stacked after Covid screwed up everyone's college eligibility.

Sparkey
04-29-2021, 03:53 PM
@AdamSchefter
While certain teams have reached out to the Packers to inquire about Aaron Rodgers this off-season, no team has made a trade offer for him, per source.

hoosier
04-29-2021, 03:55 PM
Where is Ari Fleischer when you really need him????

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 03:57 PM
Quite honestly, I would not mind a haul of draft picks in next year's draft. That one will be stacked after Covid screwed up everyone's college eligibility.

Problem is though, those would probably be late picks in each round since Rodgers makes them better in 2021.

Harlan Huckleby
04-29-2021, 03:58 PM

No, I wouldn't. Similar things happened to me throughout my checkered career. It didn't necessarily end with me getting fired (altho once it sorta did.) It's just the competitive world.

red
04-29-2021, 04:00 PM
Problem is though, those would probably be late picks in each round since Rodgers makes them better in 2021.

And first rounders next year are only worth 2nd rounders this year

Harlan Huckleby
04-29-2021, 04:01 PM
We're finding out a lot of new shit right now

We haven't heard of this, haven't heard of the new extension offers, and haven't heard of the team management flying out to see him

If they told him they were gonna trade him, then turn down the trade offer to the team he wants to go to, then you're gonna have one pissed off aaron rodgers

Your belly is down a bit from last time I saw your 'tar. You been working out?

red
04-29-2021, 04:02 PM
Your belly is down a bit from last time I saw your 'tar. You been working out?

I'm down to 15 cheeseburgers a day from 16

Guiness
04-29-2021, 04:03 PM

I wonder if he sees the wonderful dramatic irony in the Pack drafting a 1st round QB near the end of his career?

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 04:04 PM

You think APB throws a fit every time they hire a young new burger flipper for minimum wage?

Wait, maybe he does.

Sparkey
04-29-2021, 04:12 PM
You think APB throws a fit every time they hire a young new burger flipper for minimum wage?

Wait, maybe he does.

So your saying, never order xtra mayo ?

Upnorth
04-29-2021, 04:15 PM
So your saying, never order xtra mayo ?

With or with out syphillus, er I mean siracha sauce

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 04:45 PM

I think every QB is a diva, though. I don't think anything he did based on what he know is bad behavior or diva like tbh. They team drafted his replacement. In the words of Jermichael Swarley Finley, What do he suppose to do?

red
04-29-2021, 04:47 PM
I think every QB is a diva, though. I don't think anything he did based on what he know is bad behavior or diva like tbh. They team drafted his replacement. In the words of Jermichael Swarley Finley, What do he suppose to do?

They traded up to get his replacement who would not help him win at all instead of trading up to draft a stud wr like he's been needing for years to pair with adams, or any other impact player that could have helped him win now

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 04:48 PM
https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1387879836207783936

I’ve decided the funniest possible outcome is if the next host of Jeopardy is Jordan Love.

bobblehead
04-29-2021, 04:52 PM

You mean like the packers did when they drafted Rodgers? Never heard rodgers say "ya know, this really isn't fair to Brent."

You know what else I haven't heard yet? We reached out to rodgers for comment on our anonymous source.

Zool
04-29-2021, 04:54 PM
I wonder if he sees the wonderful dramatic irony in the Pack drafting a 1st round QB near the end of his career?

Did he get his own locker room this season? I have to assume yes. Can't be near the plebs.

bobblehead
04-29-2021, 04:55 PM

Yup, rodgers seems like a dick, but the team has done about the bare minimum in the draft and through free agency to help him on offense

Yet somehow we still had an historic season on offense. And somehow if he hadn't pussied out and run the fucking ball on 2nd and goal we might have an Owl under our belt.

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 05:00 PM
Fake ass tweet but funny as hell

https://twitter.com/UltraWeedHater/status/1387879480581136385

Sources tell NFL Network #Packers GM Brian Gutekunst & HC Matt LaFleur called Aaron Rodgers begging him to come back. "We love you Aaron", they said, to which Rodgers replied, "Yeah, Love is the problem, and his first name is Jordan" before hanging up.

Wow.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2021, 05:00 PM
R-E-L-A-X !!!

Undoubtedly this is fake news crap for the purpose of increasing ratings for the draft on ESPN tonight. Nothing is gonna happen, not tonight, not after June 1, not anytime this offseason, probably not for a good while after that.

If there is anything to it, it's a negotiating tactic to get him an extension. It is beyond belief that the Packers leadership would be such a pack of idiots that they would compound the idiocy of drafting Love by not extending Rodgers long term.

Spaulding
04-29-2021, 05:01 PM
As others have posted, it's an organizational decision to draft the best players they feel are available to help the team. No one player is above the team and if they are then good riddance. If Gute and company thought Love was a top 10 talent and still available that late in the first round, it makes sense they trusted their board and went after Love given we're almost always picking late in draft.

Given Rodgers age and with no decent backup (sorry Boyle but he's a clipboard holder) it also made sense to draft a QB who could keep the season afloat if Rodgers went down for a few games, not to mention that if his level of play declined the Packers would have a possible replacement. I wasn't a fan of the pick myself but then again I wasn't a fan of the Rodgers pick when we had Favre and that turned out okay. Love hasn't even been given a chance for the fan base to determine if he's a bust, average QB or a solid starter for the future.

Taking the action to draft Love personally suggests a huge EGO problem. If you consider yourself the best you should welcome competition as it often brings out the best.

Now if the Packers told him during the offseason that they were going to trade him (I don't believe that for a second though as what purpose would it serve and why wouldn't they have traded him when QB's were moving earlier this offseason) then yeah, Rodgers has a right to be pissed and I don't blame him.

Still looking for old articles where Love was considered a Trey Lance type prospect I thought and if goes top 5 then getting Love at #26 seems like a steal.

Might need to load up on the jiffypop for the circus tonight - it's going to be full on popcorn time.

Bossman641
04-29-2021, 05:02 PM
All we need is a story that Gute/Murphy gave Rodgers his locker upon flying out to see him and things will have come full circle.

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 05:03 PM
R-E-L-A-X !!!

Undoubtedly this is fake news crap for the purpose of increasing ratings for the draft on ESPN tonight. Nothing is gonna happen, not tonight, not after June 1, not anytime this offseason, probably not for a good while after that.

If there is anything to it, it's a negotiating tactic to get him an extension. It is beyond belief that the Packers leadership would be such a pack of idiots that they would compound the idiocy of drafting Love by not extending Rodgers long term.

Definitely not fake news, the source is unquestionably Rodgers.

I doubt he is going to get dealt, though.

But Gutekunst officially has a PR problem.

bobblehead
04-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Fake ass tweet but funny as hell

https://twitter.com/UltraWeedHater/status/1387879480581136385
Sources tell NFL Network #Packers GM Brian Gutekunst & HC Matt LaFleur called Aaron Rodgers begging him to come back. "We love you Aaron", they said, to which Rodgers replied, "Yeah, Love is the problem, and his first name is Jordan" before hanging up.

Wow.

They meant "we Loved you Aaron" turning love into a verb. Sort of like "poor kid got munsoned"

Rastak
04-29-2021, 05:07 PM
R-E-L-A-X !!!

You also said the cap wouldn't drop and that was fake news.

It did.

Hey guys, draft day although my interest in football has waned over the last two years.

bobblehead
04-29-2021, 05:10 PM
You also said the cap wouldn't drop and that was fake news.

It did.

Hey guys, draft day although my interest in football has waned over the last two years.

He also made me a guarantee in FYI that didn't happen. I can't be more specific than that. Have to leave it a "tex is as full of shit as the media"

red
04-29-2021, 05:13 PM
Yet somehow we still had an historic season on offense. And somehow if he hadn't pussied out and run the fucking ball on 2nd and goal we might have an Owl under our belt.

and if it wasn't for him and pretty much him alone, we would have been a sub .500 team

Upnorth
04-29-2021, 05:13 PM
Just saw a great video by Andrew Brandt. He doesn't think anything until 2022

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2021, 05:17 PM
I doubt the source is Rodgers except maybe taking a few things he said out of context. If this ends up in a long term Rodgers extension, though, it's absolutely a good thing.

red
04-29-2021, 05:18 PM
some decent looking blonde on espn mentioned the number 16

bart was the QB in green bay for 16 seasons
brent for the QB in green bay for 16 seasons
eric has been with the team for 16 seasons

red
04-29-2021, 05:19 PM
I doubt the source is Rodgers except maybe taking a few things he said out of context. If this ends up in a long term Rodgers extension, though, it's absolutely a good thing.

the news out today is that the team has been trying to sign him to an extension for most of the offseason, he won't take it because he doesn't want to stay

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2021, 05:24 PM
The news was that the team wanted to restructure him - maybe a short term good, but a sign of future idiocy by the team leadership.

The whiners and panic mongers are coming out from under their rocks now. I say again, R-E-L-A-X.

Bobblehead, what the hell did I guarantee to you in FYI? Don't say it here, but put it in FYI if you're anything other than full of shit.

red
04-29-2021, 05:25 PM
The news was that the team wanted to restructure him - maybe a short term good, but a sign of future idiocy by the team leadership.

The whiners and panic mongers are coming out from under their rocks now. I say again, R-E-L-A-X.

Bobblehead, what the hell did I guarantee to you? Don't say it here, but put it in FYI if you're anything other than full of shit.

no, that wasn't the news. the news that broke earlier was that the team was trying to work out an extension

the way his contract is set up, the team doesn't not need to ask him or even tell him, if they want to restructure the deal. they can just do it at any time

the only reason why the team wouldn't just do this (instead of nickle and diming every other player on the roster), is because they do not want to push any more cap money past this year in order to make this his last year

i'm really not sure how signing him to an extension would change any of that, unless the team has just suddenly had a change of heart

red
04-29-2021, 05:31 PM

Bobblehead, what the hell did I guarantee to you in FYI? Don't say it here, but put it in FYI if you're anything other than full of shit.

tex you've honestly been wrong about 99% of the shit you've posted on here, thats why you're the joke around here

sometimes it feels like you live in an alternate reality because most of the shit you say is just so laughably stupid and wrong

honestly, if you told us tomorrow that you're living in some nut house getting your info from a carboard computer with no screen, it wouldn't surprise me one bit

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2021, 05:55 PM
red, you're honestly a lowlife piece of shit who only comes out from under your rock to post panicky crap. Eat shit and die.

Vincenzo
04-29-2021, 06:16 PM
tex you've honestly been wrong about 99% of the shit you've posted on here, thats why you're the joke around here

sometimes it feels like you live in an alternate reality because most of the shit you say is just so laughably stupid and wrong

honestly, if you told us tomorrow that you're living in some nut house getting your info from a carboard computer with no screen, it wouldn't surprise me one bit
You guys are fuckin hilarious.

Freak Out
04-29-2021, 06:22 PM
red, you're honestly a lowlife piece of shit who only comes out from under your rock to post panicky crap. Eat shit and die.

LOL. Tex going all in.

jklowan
04-29-2021, 06:24 PM
sounds like we might be on the cusp of a dumpster fire

red
04-29-2021, 06:27 PM
heres a thought i just had.

maybe its not just rodgers MVP season that made the packers want to keep him so bad when it looked like they would be 100% done with him after next season, with a small chance of him being gone this year

what if Love isn't ready, or they saw that he just doesn't have "it" during training camp. he was inactive for every single game last season (i think), he wasn't even the backup QB. what if they saw over the course of last season that he just isn't that good, then figured they better keep rodgers longer then they wanted to?

most packer fans got over TT driving favre out of town, because he replaced him with another HOFer

if gutey is seen as the guy that drives rodgers out of town for his guy, and then that guy shits himself on the field, his career his be over

if rodgers somehow doesn't play for us next season, and love either isn't ready, or just looks like complete shit, we're gonna be pissed

of course, if love comes in and looks great, then hooray for us and gootey. but then if he looked ready or decent, you'd think you would trade your player that doesn't want to be here for the #3 overall pick and some other stuff

Vincenzo
04-29-2021, 06:31 PM
Best one I read so far (nearly shit myself) was when HH said to Red, “Your belly is down a bit from last time I saw you, have you been working out? And Red replies, “I’m down to 15 cheeseburgers a day from 16.”

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 06:44 PM
Mark Schlereth is reporting that Rodgers to Denver is close to a done deal. We'll see.

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 06:45 PM
This makes no sense. ARod wouldn’t do this today. It drives his value down.

If this is true Murphy, Gut and the gang needs to be gone tomorrow. Keep LaFleur and redo the front office.

Rastak
04-29-2021, 06:48 PM
Mark Schlereth is reporting that Rodgers to Denver is close to a done deal. We'll see.

Rodgers is about 38 but on top of his game. Interesting to see what bounty they offer.

Harlan Huckleby
04-29-2021, 06:48 PM
LOL. Tex going all in.

The anger from both is in midseason form. It's gonna be a good year.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 06:51 PM

Looks like Love might be playing sooner than later. I hope we get at least 3-1sts for Rodgers.

red
04-29-2021, 06:51 PM

If this is true Murphy, Gut and the gang needs to be gone tomorrow. Keep LaFleur and redo the front office.

what does he care what the packers get in return?

he might have been trying to leave all offseason and sees this as his last chance to get out

maybe forcing the issue by putting this all out there

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 06:52 PM
Trade him to the Jets.

Hahahaaha.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 06:53 PM

he might have been trying to leave all offseason and sees this as his last chance to get out

Packers might have leaked it because they want to see what they can get going into the draft.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 06:53 PM
Looks like Love might be playing sooner than later. I hope we get at least 3-1sts for Rodgers.

I want Trey Lance in a Packers uniform.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 06:54 PM
Love got a year to learn the system and work out some of his weak spots. He’s in a good situation to succeed. Hope we get a few 1’s for a Rodgers. That will set up the Love era right.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 06:55 PM

The plot thickens

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 06:55 PM

That's not happening.

Sparkey
04-29-2021, 06:56 PM

He must be miming it as there is nothing on his Twitter account.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 06:56 PM
The plot thickens

If they get a big enough haul, maybe they can package some of the haul to move up to get Fields or Lance.

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Love got a year to learn the system and work out some of his weak spots. He’s in a good situation to succeed. Hope we get a few 1’s for a Rodgers. That will set up the Love era right.

It seems to me the natural move is for Seattle and Green Bay to swap QB's.

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 06:57 PM

Because if the Pack doesn’t get what they need they aren’t trading ARod.

I would assume 3 1st rounders minimum. This years, 22 and 23. A couple of 2nds sprinkled in.

red
04-29-2021, 06:58 PM
Packers might have leaked it because they want to see what they can get going into the draft.

that would be a real dick move, cause it really makes rodgers look bad

RashanGary
It seems to me the natural move is for Seattle and Green Bay to swap QB's.

They’d both be discontented. Both guys are cut from the same cloth.

HarveyWallbangers
He must be miming it as there is nothing on his Twitter account.

Reported on the PFF draft show. They never said he twitted out, but that he's reporting it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/updated-aaron-rodgers-wants-out-of-green-bay-and-denver-is-a-likely-destination/ar-BB1gbWgC

Mark Schlereth was a guest on Denver’s 104.3 The Fan moments ago, and he sad that Aaron Rodgers being traded to the Denver Broncos “is as close to being a done deal as it can get.”

red
04-29-2021, 06:59 PM
Because if the Pack doesn’t get what they need they aren’t trading ARod.

I would assume 3 1st rounders minimum. This years, 22 and 23. A couple of 2nds sprinkled in.

at the least i would say 2 firsts (maybe not both this year) and 2 seconds

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:01 PM
at the least i would say 2 firsts (maybe not both this year) and 2 seconds

Something like that or maybe 3 1sts. We'll see. I'm hoping for more. I want APB's 3 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd. Probably not the #2 pick this year, but I'll take the #9 with those other picks. :)

red
04-29-2021, 07:01 PM
They’d both be discontented. Both guys are cut from the same cloth.

i think thats the modern day QB or maybe modern day sports superstar

they know who the fans pay to see, they know they are the most important guys, they think they should have all the power and money

red
04-29-2021, 07:02 PM
Something like that or maybe 3 1sts. We'll see. I'm hoping for more. I want APB's 3 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd. Probably not the #2 pick this year, but I'll take the #9 with those other picks. :)

what did the lions get for stafford?

we should be able to get more then that, without having to take a guy like goff

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 07:03 PM
Reported on the PFF draft show. They never said he twitted out, but that he's reporting it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/updated-aaron-rodgers-wants-out-of-green-bay-and-denver-is-a-likely-destination/ar-BB1gbWgC

If the trade is to Denver we will know in 90 minutes or so.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:04 PM
Reported compensation is three 1st round picks. I'd love a bit more. Anything more to help move up to #4 or #6 and get Fields or Lance. would be nice.

bobblehead
and if it wasn't for him and pretty much him alone, we would have been a sub .500 team

Well, why the fuck did we sign Bak and Jones to big contracts and why don't we trade Adams? Why are we bothered that we lost lindsey.

Serious, I hate this kind of hyperbole. I hate it more if you actually believe it.

ThunderDan
what did the lions get for stafford?

we should be able to get more then that, without having to take a guy like goff

1sts in 22 & 23. 3rd in 21 and Goff.

Zool
04-29-2021, 07:05 PM
I loved watching the Green Bay Rodgers' and the Green Bay Favres before him.

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:05 PM
heres a thought i just had.

maybe its not just rodgers MVP season that made the packers want to keep him so bad when it looked like they would be 100% done with him after next season, with a small chance of him being gone this year

what if Love isn't ready, or they saw that he just doesn't have "it" during training camp. he was inactive for every single game last season (i think), he wasn't even the backup QB. what if they saw over the course of last season that he just isn't that good, then figured they better keep rodgers longer then they wanted to?

most packer fans got over TT driving favre out of town, because he replaced him with another HOFer

if gutey is seen as the guy that drives rodgers out of town for his guy, and then that guy shits himself on the field, his career his be over

if rodgers somehow doesn't play for us next season, and love either isn't ready, or just looks like complete shit, we're gonna be pissed

of course, if love comes in and looks great, then hooray for us and gootey. but then if he looked ready or decent, you'd think you would trade your player that doesn't want to be here for the #3 overall pick and some other stuff

Some good thinking there Red.

This new mess has caught me off guard as I saw about 7 Packer games on the Tube last Season and it sure appeared to me that Rodgers and LaFleur got on just great and Rodgers was playing happy and loose.

red
04-29-2021, 07:06 PM
If the trade is to Denver we will know in 90 minutes or so.

if its denver, then i would say their first and second this year, their first and second next year, and their first in 2023

like someone else mentioned, those first rounders in later years will end up being late round picks because arod will make them better

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:06 PM
1sts in 22 & 23. 3rd in 21 and Goff.

Didn't they also send something back besides Stafford though?

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:07 PM
I'm going to blame this on a disgruntled Lady.....hahaaha.

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 07:07 PM

That was the quick 5 second google hit.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:08 PM

I guess not. I was thinking they sent something back. Stafford is 5 years younger. I'm hoping a bit more than 3 1sts, but we'll see. Of course, the 1st round pick this year was a lot lower.

RashanGary
04-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Reported compensation is three 1st round picks. I'd love a bit more. Anything more to help move up to #4 or #6 and get Fields or Lance. would be nice.

This is what I would hope for. 3-1s sets love up nice on that rookie deal

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:10 PM
The 1st round picks were in 2022 and 2023. 3rd round pick in 2021. I don't know if Goff at his salary hurts or helps the overall value of the trade. :)

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:10 PM

What slot is Dever drafting in ( this Draft ) Harvey?

OK...9th.

Sparkey
04-29-2021, 07:11 PM
So basically:

Broncos get-
Aaron Rodgers

Packers get-
9th ovr pick
47th ovr pick
2022 1st
2023 1st
Jerry Jeudy

Aaron Rodgers gets-
Worse weapons
Worse OL
No 1st rounders for 3 years

Jordan Love gets-
Elite weapons
Elite OL
2 1st rounders for each of the 3 drafts

....from twitter

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:12 PM
I'm tired of the AR diva drama, so I hope this goes down. Would make for a more interesting draft.

Now, they are saying hold on. Might not be a done deal. :)

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:13 PM
So basically:

Broncos get-
Aaron Rodgers

Packers get-
9th ovr pick
47th ovr pick
2022 1st
2023 1st
Jerry Jeudy

Aaron Rodgers gets-
Worse weapons
Worse OL

Jordan Love gets-
Elite weapons
Elite OL

....from twitter

This would be better. Come out of the deal with Fields or Lance, and then I can really get on board.

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:13 PM

Whooahh....calm down.

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:15 PM
So basically:

Broncos get-
Aaron Rodgers

Packers get-
9th ovr pick
47th ovr pick
2022 1st
2023 1st
Jerry Jeudy

Aaron Rodgers gets-
Worse weapons
Worse OL

Jordan Love gets-
Elite weapons
Elite OL

....from twitter

That's a very bad deal for Denver. No way !

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 07:16 PM
This would be better. Come out of the deal with Fields or Lance, and then I can really get on board.

We could trade them ARod and Love.

Zool
04-29-2021, 07:17 PM
If that Bronco trade is real, man that's a good deal for the Packers. The Broncos are trying to recreate the Peyton Manning 3 year thing.

red
04-29-2021, 07:17 PM

that just opens up a whole other can of worms. what happens if we get one of those guys, do we then try and trade love, the guy that started all the drama?

red
04-29-2021, 07:18 PM
If that Bronco trade is real, man that's a good deal for the Packers. The Broncos are trying to recreate the Peyton Manning 3 year thing.

i think that was just speculation (as to what we would get)

Zool
04-29-2021, 07:20 PM
i think that was just speculation (as to what we would get)

That makes more sense. I really like Jeudy paired with Adams and MVS and Lazarus.

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:27 PM
I loved watching the Green Bay Rodgers' and the Green Bay Favres before him.

Back to the post Vince Lombardi to Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers.

Tony Oday
04-29-2021, 07:29 PM
Take the Bronco Deal and watch AR get hurt right away.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:34 PM
Now, reports are that the Packers have no interest in trading ARod. And I'm actually disappointed.

red
04-29-2021, 07:35 PM
Now, reports are that the Packers have no interest in trading ARod. And I'm actually disappointed.

i just read a report that the team is open to the "reality" that they might have to trade him

shits all over the place right now

red
04-29-2021, 07:36 PM
worst case scenario is that he doesn't play for us this year and we don't end up getting any picks for him this year

in that case, you clean house

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 07:37 PM
I'm 50. I'm divorced. I find this shit interesting--with little stress. It feels good to sit around, drink beer all night, not stress about this or anything else, bone my GF tomorrow. :)

(Kids are at their Mom's this week.)

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:45 PM
5 minutes ago Ian Rapoport Tweeted that it's his understanding that as of right now the Green Bay Packers have no plans to trade Aaron Rodgers.

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Take the Bronco Deal and watch AR get hurt right away.

He'll get nose bleeds in Denver.

red
04-29-2021, 07:48 PM
5 minutes ago Ian Rapoport Tweeted that it's his understanding that as of right now the Green Bay Packers have no plans to trade Aaron Rodgers.

mangement seems to be all over the place too

be nice to see our war room to see if we're on the phones at all

Upnorth
He'll get nose bleeds in Denver.

Only takes a crisis for you to post woodbucks. Good to see your still alive.

RashanGary
I'm 50. I'm divorced. I find this shit interesting--with little stress. It feels good to sit around, drink beer all night, not stress about this or anything else, bone my GF tomorrow. :)

Perspective. 15 years ago this was drama. Now.... drink a beer and watch the show

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:51 PM

Where there's smoke there's fire.

It sure appears he wants out; yet that also makes little sense to me.

Upnorth
Perspective. 15 years ago this was drama. Now.... drink a beer and watch the show

I hope brandon didn't have a stroke

HarveyWallbangers
I will say that the beers are going down fast tonight.

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:57 PM
Only takes a crisis for you to post woodbucks. Good to see your still alive.

I'm still kicking Upnorth.

Think of me as ' a Fireman'. ....hahahaaha.

I'm still very much 'the Packer Fan'. Been that way now for over 60 years.

wist43
04-29-2021, 07:57 PM

Well, at least you can admit you're a drunken slut ;)

woodbuck27
04-29-2021, 07:59 PM

I'll take that suggestion right now.....thanks.

The Shadow
04-29-2021, 08:03 PM
No trade. Sit tight. Call the bluff.
I'd rather he decides to just walk away ( which I don't think he will) than return.
he walks? We have a lot of new cap room.
He stays? We remain competitive.

red
04-29-2021, 08:09 PM
No trade. Sit tight. Call the bluff.
I'd rather he decides to just walk away ( which I don't think he will) than return.
he walks? We have a lot of new cap room.
He stays? We remain competitive.

if he decides to retire we take a massive cap hit. the same as if he was traded. we would gain a little under 6 million in cap space

Teamcheez1
04-29-2021, 08:12 PM
if he decides to retire we take a massive cap hit. the same as if he was traded. we would gain a little under 6 million in cap space
If he retires we owe him nothing and he has to pay back a portion of his earlier bonuses. There would be no cap hit.

red
04-29-2021, 08:16 PM
If he retires we owe him nothing and he has to pay back a portion of his earlier bonuses. There would be no cap hit.

wrong

dead money does not go away

right now, rodgers either has 38.5 million in dead money, or 31.3 million

that will never just vanish

King Friday
04-29-2021, 08:18 PM
Rodgers isn't going anywhere. He's under contract. You think he's going to hold out? I'm sure many of his endorsements are somewhat conditional on him being an active player in the league. They aren't interested in a pitchman who is holding out. The news today was a desperate ploy by the Rodgers team to push on Gute, but I doubt he folds.

beveaux1
04-29-2021, 08:23 PM
This entire drama is not really surprising. If you look at it from Rodgers' perspective, he has always said that he wanted to play until he was 40, at the least.
Before the last draft, he said he wanted to retire with the Packers. He had next to no talent at the WR position before last year's draft, but made no public statements about the problem.

He used his position in the draft as something to motivate him to greatness. His drive has always been about making the rest of the NFL pay for his humiliation on draft day.
He never considered that the Packers would pick his replacement four years before his earliest retirement date.

From Gutekunst's perspective, Rodgers had at least 4 consecutive off years. He's running the Packers as a business. When a talented QB drops close to his position in the draft, he pulls the trigger.
He probably figures that it will either motivate Rodgers and he keeps him through most of his existing contract or allow him to change QBs in a couple of years with little or no cap consequences.

Rodgers, on the other hand, sees this as the ultimate betrayal. He does use it as motivation. He plays at the level he played 5 years ago, maybe better, and comes very close to playing in a Super Bowl.
By doing this, the power has completely shifted to him instead of the team. He wasn't about to re-work his contract. It was his intention to make the Packers pay for the way they treated him.
I think that's why he dragged out the "renegotiation" until just before the draft. That's why he waited until Gutekunst gave his press conference saying that Rodgers would be a Packer for the foreseeable future.

He had his "people" drop the bombshell about not playing for the Packers again hours before the draft, when it would have maximum impact. By making that statement, the Packers will very likely get less of a haul in a trade.
This was well thought out and intentional. I don't think the Packers expected it and I really don't think he'll play for the Packers again. Next move Gutekunst.

red
04-29-2021, 08:31 PM
This entire drama is not really surprising. If you look at it from Rodgers' perspective, he has always said that he wanted to play until he was 40, at the least.
Before the last draft, he said he wanted to retire with the Packers. He had next to no talent at the WR position before last year's draft, but made no public statements about the problem.

He used his position in the draft as something to motivate him to greatness. His drive has always been about making the rest of the NFL pay for his humiliation on draft day.
He never considered that the Packers would pick his replacement four years before his earliest retirement date.

From Gutekunst's perspective, Rodgers had at least 4 consecutive off years. He's running the Packers as a business. When a talented QB drops close to his position in the draft, he pulls the trigger.
He probably figures that it will either motivate Rodgers and he keeps him through most of his existing contract or allow him to change QBs in a couple of years with little or no cap consequences.

Rodgers, on the other hand, sees this as the ultimate betrayal. He does use it as motivation. He plays at the level he played 5 years ago, maybe better, and comes very close to playing in a Super Bowl.
By doing this, the power has completely shifted to him instead of the team. He wasn't about to re-work his contract. It was his intention to make the Packers pay for the way they treated him.
I think that's why he dragged out the "renegotiation" until just before the draft. That's why he waited until Gutekunst gave his press conference saying that Rodgers would be a Packer for the foreseeable future.

He had his "people" drop the bombshell about not playing for the Packers again hours before the draft, when it would have maximum impact. By making that statement, the Packers will very likely get less of a haul in a trade.
This was well thought out and intentional. I don't think the Packers expected it and I really don't think he'll play for the Packers again. Next move Gutekunst.

if he is really this mad where his people are putting all this out, then it would make since that he wold put the packers in a box and force them to trade him for next to nothing

he would want his new team to keep all the draft capital they can to make his new team better

scharpcheddar
04-29-2021, 08:33 PM
https://twitter.com/markschlereth/status/1387919177478905859?s=19

Teamcheez1
04-29-2021, 08:33 PM
wrong

dead money does not go away

right now, rodgers either has 38.5 million in dead money, or 31.3 million

that will never just vanish

Incorrect, per NBC sports:
It wouldn’t be an inexpensive proposition for Rodgers. He has $23 million in unearned signing bonus money that he’d owe the Packers, and he’d also give up $14.7 million in 2021 salary. Also, his recent roster bonus of $6.8 million surely would be forfeited if he walks away from the game in the event that he doesn’t get traded.

He would be writing the Packers a check.

red
04-29-2021, 08:35 PM
Incorrect, per NBC sports:
It wouldn’t be an inexpensive proposition for Rodgers. He has $23 million in unearned signing bonus money that he’d owe the Packers, and he’d also give up $14.7 million in 2021 salary. Also, his recent roster bonus of $6.8 million surely would be forfeited if he walks away from the game in the event that he doesn’t get traded.

He would be writing the Packers a check.

yes, he might owe them money (good luck trying to get it)

but that is not cap space

that 6.8 million was a roster bonus due on a certain day, meaning if he was on the roster on that day, he would get that money. he was on the roster on that day, and got the money. i don't think that can be taken back

same for the rest of the signing bonus, its been paid, the teams can take players to court to try and get it back, but i'm not sure if thats ever happened

i think PFT is wrong (wouldn't be the first time either)

run pMc
04-29-2021, 08:42 PM
If they trade him, they are making a mistake. If he holds out, he's making a mistake.

beveaux1
04-29-2021, 08:43 PM
Gutekunst may decide he can wait until later to trade. Next year's draft might be better than this year's draft. He might be thinking he can talk Rodgers into signing an extension.
That's probably not what he wants to do. He didn't mind kicking the ball a few years into the future, but extending Rodgers ends Love's tenure with the Packers .
That would be at the expense of watching a fading late career Rodgers leading the Packers. If this happens, Rodgers can always deny that he wanted to be traded.

I think Rodgers really wants out and he won't play again for the Packers. I think last years draft with no WRs for him and drafting his replacement broke the camel's back. Time will tell.

sharpe1027
04-29-2021, 08:43 PM

There would be a huge cap hit. His signing bonus is accelerated from the remainder years of his contract.

wist43
04-29-2021, 08:47 PM
yes, he might owe them money (good luck trying to get it)

but that is not cap space

that 6.8 million was a roster bonus due on a certain day, meaning if he was on the roster on that day, he would get that money. he was on the roster on that day, and got the money. i don't think that can be taken back

same for the rest of the signing bonus, its been paid, the teams can take players to court to try and get it back, but i'm not sure if thats ever happened

i think PFT is wrong (wouldn't be the first time either)

Agreed... however, the biggest mistake was last year's draft - mind numbingly stupid.

sharpe1027
04-29-2021, 08:48 PM
There would be a huge cap hit. His signing bonus is accelerated from the remainder years of his contract.

Unless Rodgers gives the money back (not likely) or they sue him and win (also somewhat unlikely).

Vincenzo
04-29-2021, 08:49 PM
Rodgers isn't going anywhere. He's under contract. You think he's going to hold out? I'm sure many of his endorsements are somewhat conditional on him being an active player in the league. They aren't interested in a pitchman who is holding out. The news today was a desperate ploy by the Rodgers team to push on Gute, but I doubt he folds.
Here-Here, wise man speaketh.

wist43
04-29-2021, 08:50 PM
He's already been paid the signing bonus... it is apportioned only for cap purposes. He would owe the team 3 years worth of that evenly divided amount, b/c that money is already in his bank acct.

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 09:21 PM

Woulda happened if they took the Niners deal, lol!

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 09:24 PM
that would be a real dick move, cause it really makes rodgers look bad

No doubt about it Rodgers leaked this. 100%. If the Packers are dead set on not trading him, why would they leak this out and get the fans all PO'd?

call_me_ishmael
04-29-2021, 09:27 PM
The 1st round picks were in 2022 and 2023. 3rd round pick in 2021. I don't know if Goff at his salary hurts or helps the overall value of the trade. :)

He has a horrible contract. 40M dead money this year, 30M dead money next year. Then it gets far more manageable. I think they restructured him to help their cap situation which ultimately resulted in a bad contract.

Packers4Glory
04-29-2021, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the shitshow. A team with no real plan as evidenced by draft picks & then bringing back Jones. Rudderless team of incompetence at the top.

Packers4Glory
04-29-2021, 10:30 PM
Anyone defending Gute & Murphy who ultimately is in charge is a fuckn tool.

Bossman641
04-29-2021, 10:44 PM
Realistically, how do you come back from the drama of tonight?

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 10:56 PM
Realistically, how do you come back from the drama of tonight?

I don’t think you can. Unless both sides come out and say it is BS.

You got to think ARod is a Packer for 1 more year at most at this point.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2021, 11:00 PM

A bit of sanity in a sea of panic and idiocy. As I said, none of the stupidity posted by people about draft night trades for Rodgers ever was gonna happen. One of these days, the news will come across that the Packers extend Rodgers like any Packer fan with a brain in his head hopes for.

Did any of the principal parties say anything? Hell no. Just crap from several media pukes. Hence, nothing to come back from.

Bretsky
04-29-2021, 11:02 PM
I would agree ThunderDan

But per radio if we traded AROD the cap hit this year would be fifty MIL; we can't do that

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 11:03 PM
I would agree ThunderDan

But per radio if we traded AROD the cap hit this year would be fifty MIL; we can't do that
It becomes a lot more manageable after 2021.

ThunderDan
04-29-2021, 11:04 PM
A bit of sanity in a sea of panic and idiocy. As I said, none of the stupidity posted by people about draft night trades for Rodgers ever was gonna happen. One of these days, the news will come across that the Packers extend Rodgers like any Packer fan with a brain in his head hopes for.
I don’t think any of us want ARod to be gone. But the writing sure seems to be on the wall that 2021 will be ARods last year in GB.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2021, 11:11 PM
No it does not - only if you swallow the shit the media assholes are putting out. I very much doubt Rodgers, his agent, LaFleur, or Gutekunst would say that at all.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 11:11 PM
I would agree ThunderDan

No. Yes, there would be $38M in dead money, but you'd save $37M with his salary this year.

Trading Rodgers would cost $1.1M on the cap this year. Of course, they only have around $2M in available cap space.

If the Packers traded him after June 1, they would save $16M.

red
04-29-2021, 11:12 PM
I would agree ThunderDan

i think thats wrong

31.3 is the cap hit if traded, i think

or 38

red
04-29-2021, 11:16 PM
No. Yes, there would be $38M in dead money, but you'd save $37M with his salary this year.

Trading Rodgers would cost $1.1M on the cap this year. Of course, they only have around $2M in available cap space.

If the Packers traded him after June 1, they would save $16M.
i can't figure out what over the cap is trying to do

they are saying if he is released, he would count the 38 million, but if hes traded he would count 31.something. the difference is the same as the roster bonus that they just paid him

i'm not sure if they just haven't updated one of the things or what. but i don't see why trading him vs releasing him would be any different. and i sure as hell can't figure out how a paid roster bonus would make a difference between the two

and i'm really not sure how or why a roster bonus would effect the dead money at all

red
04-29-2021, 11:22 PM
i think 38.356 million is the real dead cap number

he's counting 37.2 million against the cap if he stay

so if we trade him, we would lose a little more cap space then what we currently have

Joemailman
04-29-2021, 11:24 PM
i can't figure out what over the cap is trying to do

they are saying if he is released, he would count the 38 million, but if hes traded he would count 31.something. the difference is the same as the roster bonus that they just paid him

i'm not sure if they just haven't updated one of the things or what. but i don't see why trading him vs releasing him would be any different. and i sure as hell can't figure out how a paid roster bonus would make a difference between the two

and i'm really not sure how or why a roster bonus would effect the dead money at all

They must be figuring that in the event of a trade, the team acquiring Rodgers has to pay the roster bonus. Don't know if that's right.

red
04-29-2021, 11:29 PM
They must be figuring that in the event of a trade, the team acquiring Rodgers has to pay the roster bonus. Don't know if that's right.

well that could be it, and they just haven't updated the site since the team paid the bonus

good call

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2021, 11:32 PM
Broncos took Surtain. Packers took Stokes. Guess there won't be an ARod trade this year.

George Cumby
04-29-2021, 11:47 PM
We'll miss you Bert.... I mean Erin!

King Friday
04-30-2021, 05:36 AM
Nothing additional will happen on this until August. The Packers will call Rodgers' bluff. Obviously, Rodgers wants out...but being under contract makes that a very difficult situation for him to manage. The Packers hold most of the cards here.

The one thing that unsettles me is that there is one scenario where Rodgers gains the upper hand. If he does hold out, and Love plays like absolute crap, it will shift enormous pressure onto the Green Bay front office. At this point, Rodgers is more aware of Love's potential than most. If Rodgers is willing to go scorched earth, then it may be because he has a strong belief that Love will flop.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2021, 06:32 AM
After making about the only sensible post in this whole thread, KF, other than mine, now you're backtracking to parrot the idiotic shit too?

There's no evidence Rodgers does not want to negotiate an extension (media shit is not evidence). The leadership of the team does not "hold most of the cards" - unless they don't care about losing (and even I wouldn't accuse them of being that despicable - just of gross stupidity). For all practical purposes, Rodgers can't be traded. If Gutekunst doesn't get a deal done - presumably pretty much on Rodgers terms (meaning a long term extension), then he deserves to get the same treatment Dan Devine's dog got (yes, I mean literally).

Let me throw a bone to the fools in here who are so convinced the Packers need to idiotically alienate and get rid of Rodgers: How many more years is Love under contract? Presumably 4? (he was a first round pick, so it should have been 5 years originally.) Crafting a deal to keep Rodgers 1, maybe 2 years beyond Love's rookie contract makes infinite sense. Love is cheap for those years. If he seems worth it by then, he could be signed long term with a significant bonus and low first and maybe second year cap number. That would guarantee excellence with Rodgers as QB through '25, maybe '26. If Love does not prove himself by then, we could re-up Rodgers even further (I'm pretty sure he will be good even beyond that age) or go in any number of other directions.

OK, you panicky negativist fools, why would not that be the best possible outcome?

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 07:01 AM
It's a good thing the media is never wrong, and everyone getting all bent out of shape over this thinks main stream media is where it is at.

King Friday
04-30-2021, 07:13 AM
Rodgers is a diva, Tex. He saw how Tom Brady was treated by Tampa and he thinks he deserves the same, despite the now 6 Super Bowl ring deficit. This isn't fake news. He expects the organization to bend over backwards for him.

I completely believe the selection of Love was a stupid move by Gute. If he wanted to take Love, his only choice was to stand pat and hope he fell... Just as Thompson did with Rodgers. By trading up, you disrespect Rodgers, who still had 3-4 good years left in the tank. If you stand pat, it is far easier to make the claim that you just couldn't pass up the opportunity. By trading up, you are now specifically targeting that guy...and it sends the message that you expect to use him soon. Otherwise, why trade up?

Compound that with the fact that the team was a title contender and you took a player who would have no real value to making that push in the next 2-3 years, and it isn't hard to see why Rodgers is pissed. Yeah, to us he should get over it, but dominant athletes are dominant because they DON'T get over it. They constantly use the things the rest of us get over with to fuel their drive to be elite.

Joemailman
04-30-2021, 07:42 AM
FWIW, Gute did talk about the subject last night.

Gutekunst, a fourth-year general manager, denied that the Packers ever told Rodgers they would trade him and reiterated that they have no plans to do that.

"We're not going to trade Aaron Rodgers," he said.

Gutekunst said he did not speak with San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch on Thursday about a deal for Rodgers. Lynch told reporters Thursday that the 49ers "inquired" about Rodgers, but he did not say when that took place and added, "It was a quick end to the conversation; it wasn't happening."

Gutekunst said it wasn't like the phones were ringing off the hook at Lambeau Field after the news of Rodgers' unhappiness broke.

"Sometime after 5 o'clock, after a lot of the stuff had kind of hit the airwaves, I got I think one call," Gutekunst said. "It was very brief, and that was it."

Earlier this offseason, the Los Angeles Rams reportedly called to inquire about Rodgers' availability via trade before they dealt for Matthew Stafford.

"I'm not gonna confirm that," Rams GM Les Snead said Thursday. "But I don't think he was ever available."

Spaulding
04-30-2021, 08:41 AM
Rodgers is a diva, Tex. He saw how Tom Brady was treated by Tampa and he thinks he deserves the same, despite the now 6 Super Bowl ring deficit. This isn't fake news. He expects the organization to bend over backwards for him.

I completely believe the selection of Love was a stupid move by Gute. If he wanted to take Love, his only choice was to stand pat and hope he fell... Just as Thompson did with Rodgers. By trading up, you disrespect Rodgers, who still had 3-4 good years left in the tank. If you stand pat, it is far easier to make the claim that you just couldn't pass up the opportunity. By trading up, you are now specifically targeting that guy...and it sends the message that you expect to use him soon. Otherwise, why trade up?

Compound that with the fact that the team was a title contender and you took a player who would have no real value to making that push in the next 2-3 years, and it isn't hard to see why Rodgers is pissed. Yeah, to us he should get over it, but dominant athletes are dominant because they DON'T get over it. They constantly use the things the rest of us get over with to fuel their drive to be elite.

Excellent post. I don't believe all the lack of drafting a WR made AR unhappy as the team had other shortcomings and the offense the past two years wasn't the biggest problem. However I could see where trading up for a QB ruffled feathers.

If only AR looked at from a perspective of a GM where the board is god and if a very highly ranked player drops to within range of your pick (trading up a few spots and giving up a 4th for a player you had ranked in top 10 and still available at #26 would make sense even if not a position of need).

Would be something to have been privy to the Packers draft board from last year.

Zool
04-30-2021, 08:54 AM
Excellent post. I don't believe all the lack of drafting a WR made AR unhappy as the team had other shortcomings and the offense the past two years wasn't the biggest problem. However I could see where trading up for a QB ruffled feathers.

If only AR looked at from a perspective of a GM where the board is god and if a very highly ranked player drops to within range of your pick (trading up a few spots and giving up a 4th for a player you had ranked in top 10 and still available at #26 would make sense even if not a position of need).

Would be something to have been privy to the Packers draft board from last year.

Historically good offense last year. I'd go as far as to say the offense wasn't a problem at all last year.

Tony Oday
04-30-2021, 09:00 AM
AR is not going anywhere this year. Play good this year and the Pack trade him for a boatload of picks to set us up for the next decade.

Spaulding
04-30-2021, 09:14 AM
Who knows, if the team achieves another great year and the Packers remain close, why would he want to go elsewhere unless the team is also on the cusp. None of the teams he listed (49ers, Raiders, Broncos) were in a better position than the Packers to win it all. The 49ers play in the arguably toughest division, the Raiders are the Raiders and the Broncos would be second fiddle to the Chiefs even with Rodgers.

For a guy with a constant chip on his shoulder since community college and expecting excellence, it would be a tough pill to lessen his chance at another ring. Then again maybe pending marriage and thoughts of life after football trump things.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 09:42 AM
mangement seems to be all over the place too

be nice to see our war room to see if we're on the phones at all

I'm going to disagree with you red. Management has never waivered on Arod being the man. I have never heard Arod saying he does NOT want to be the man. Not one time. I've only seen "anonymous sources"

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 09:50 AM
Some of you don’t get it. Love was just the tip of the iceberg

1 game from a super bowl they trade a 1st & 4 for love. Draft a RB in 2nd. Then in the 3rd a shitty H-back TE. Makes sense to someone.

Dillon only made sense if you’re planning on letting Jones leave after last year... which they didn’t. This isn’t about Rodgers being a diva. It’s about a boneheaded organization that has no idea what direction is going. You were firmly in the super bowl window &
Didn’t do anything to address needs on either side of the ball.

Couple that with the previous year when they spent a 1st on Gary after spending a buttload of FA money at the position. Gary was a project that everyone knew needed time to develop. That’s not a move a team in the twilight of rodgers career makes. It’s absurd & no logical person can refute or defend those drafts.

Its just ineptitude at every level if roster building.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Anyone defending Gute & Murphy who ultimately is in charge is a fuckn tool.

Back to back 13 win seasons resulting in NFCC games. I'm not a huge gutes fan, but I like to speak rationally and this kind of hyperbole makes me chuckle.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 09:53 AM
I don’t think you can. Unless both sides come out and say it is BS.

You got to think ARod is a Packer for 1 more year at most at this point.

What if they win an owl. Is the love pick really so bad if he shows some promise, and is a great backup for a 38 year old QB? I could see Rodgers playing 5 more years all in GB to be honest. I'm not even as convinced he is nearly as butthurt as they are claiming....of course a new diva girlfriend does bring out the worst in people.

Jaire
I'm going to disagree with you red. Management has never waivered on Arod being the man. I have never heard Arod saying he does NOT want to be the man. Not one time. I've only seen "anonymous sources"

Agreed

All smoke and headlines.

We have a good first pick and a lot of interesting players the next few rounds. First pick could really change the complection of the D already.

Packers4Glory
Also the packets confirmed they tried to restructure his deal. Then when that wasn’t successful they tried offering him the extension he was seeking & he said no to that. No word on why he said no. Was it he’s done with them or was he not happy with the terms?

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 09:57 AM
Back to back 13 win seasons resulting in NFCC games. I'm not a huge gutes fan, but I like to speak rationally and this kind of hyperbole makes me chuckle.

How many wins does that team get without Ridgers? lol yeah. Speak rationally? How about be a bit smarter to look past win/loss numbers. The simplicity of your rationale makes me chuckle

Jaire
04-30-2021, 09:58 AM
As to Jones, a lot of that decision was about the locker room. Jones makes the whole team better. They have two backs which is much more important to Lafleurs game than number one receivers. I'm not going to worry about the number one offense losing too much. And I have my eye on the Iowa kid in round three to help out there and on special teams. Otherwise a couple tackles would be nice.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:00 AM
FWIW, Gute did talk about the subject last night.

Gutekunst, a fourth-year general manager, denied that the Packers ever told Rodgers they would trade him and reiterated that they have no plans to do that.

"We're not going to trade Aaron Rodgers," he said.

Gutekunst said he did not speak with San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch on Thursday about a deal for Rodgers. Lynch told reporters Thursday that the 49ers "inquired" about Rodgers, but he did not say when that took place and added, "It was a quick end to the conversation; it wasn't happening."

Gutekunst said it wasn't like the phones were ringing off the hook at Lambeau Field after the news of Rodgers' unhappiness broke.

"Sometime after 5 o'clock, after a lot of the stuff had kind of hit the airwaves, I got I think one call," Gutekunst said. "It was very brief, and that was it."

Earlier this offseason, the Los Angeles Rams reportedly called to inquire about Rodgers' availability via trade before they dealt for Matthew Stafford.

"I'm not gonna confirm that," Rams GM Les Snead said Thursday. "But I don't think he was ever available."

This sums it up for me. The media makes shit up nowdays. No way was a deal to denver "almost a done deal". No way Gutes ever gave serious consideration to trading Rodgers after going all in like we are. No way Gutes is trading Rodgers with 3 years left on his deal. And if Rodgers really thinks he isn't helped enough after an historic MVP season well.....

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 10:00 AM
Agreed

All smoke and headlines.

We have a good first pick and a lot of interesting players the next few rounds. First pick could really change the complection of the D already.
What?!? What they say & what they have done are completely opposite!

Traded up to draft his replacement knowing full well in year 3 they can move on from ARod if they want. That 2020 draft was a huge signal of what they were planning. How is this even a bone of contention? Of course they’re going to say Aaron is their guy. Especially after he threw a wrench into the plan with a dominant MVP season.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:01 AM
AR is not going anywhere this year. Play good this year and the Pack trade him for a boatload of picks to set us up for the next decade.

Or play good this year, get extended and win a couple late career rings. Its not out of the question.

George Cumby
04-30-2021, 10:01 AM
I still contend the Love pick was not a bad pick. It may turn out to be, but we won't know for two to three years.

Rodgers was consistently injured for two or three seasons before Love was drafted. Remember the 2019 season? Despite the 13-3 record, Rodgers was OFF, there was something wrong with him.

If I was the GM, I'd be looking at that fact pattern: 36 y/o QB, oft injured, skills appear to be in decline; he could fall off the cliff at any moment. I'd be drafting a talented replacement too.

Rodgers roaring back in 2020 was far from a sure thing.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 10:03 AM
As to Jones, a lot of that decision was about the locker room. Jones makes the whole team better. They have two backs which is much more important to Lafleurs game than number one receivers. I'm not going to worry about the number one offense losing too much. And I have my eye on the Iowa kid in round three to help out there and on special teams. Otherwise a couple tackles would be nice.
Then why draft Dillon with a 2nd? You don’t spend that kind of pick on a RB when you can find guys later or UDFA? Dillon was a reach at 2 as it was.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:04 AM

1 game from a super bowl they trade a 1st & 4 for love. Draft a RB in 2nd. Then in the 3rd a shitty H-back TE. Makes sense to someone.

Dillon only made sense if you’re planning on letting Jones leave after last year... which they didn’t. This isn’t about Rodgers being a diva. It’s about a boneheaded organization that has no idea what direction is going. You were firmly in the super bowl window &

Couple that with the previous year when they spent a 1st on Gary after spending a buttload of FA money at the position. Gary was a project that everyone knew needed time to develop. That’s not a move a team in the twilight of rodgers career makes. It’s absurd & no logical person can refute or defend those drafts.

You say shitty HBack, Flower says swiss army knife. I'll take his acumen on running an offense over yours. Dillon? The one area we lacked was short yardage success in 2019...great pick.

Boneheaded organization that has been to back to back NFCC games and is near the top of the league in wins going back over 2 decades.....fuck ups.

beveaux1
04-30-2021, 10:05 AM
“We have a very good football team here,” Gutekunst said, . “And we have a great organization. We’re very committed to him. I think as the lines of communications have been open, I’m just optimistic that’s what’s best for the Green Bay Packers, and I truly believe that’s what’s best for Aaron Rodgers as well.”

“I certainly look back to last year’s draft,” Gutekunst said Thursday, “and just kind of maybe some of the communication issues we could have done better. There’s no doubt about it. The draft is an interesting thing. It can kind of unfold differently than you think it’s going to unfold, and it happens pretty fast. But certainly looking back on it, certainly where we sit today, there could have been some communication things that we did better.”

Rodgers is a very cerebral guy. He's very measured in what he says to the press and he has always been cautious about what's been released to the press.
After last year's draft, opinion pieces were written about the effect the drafting of Love would have on Rodgers, but those stories died on the vine because of the muted responses by Rodgers and his "people".
This is different. I don't believe it was an accident that this news dropped. I don't believe it was "fake news", although some of the stories branching from his "peoples" announcement about not playing for the Packers again are fake.
Gutekunst as much as acknowledged the rift in his press conference Thursday night.

I've been hearing that he doesn't have leverage to demand a trade. I think he has all the leverage in the world. He can retire. He can hold out. Rodgers doesn't need the money. By dropping this story, the Packers are on notice.
My opinion is that he has played his last down with this team. He dropped this story after telling the team he was through with them.
He's leaving on his terms. Gutekunst would like to get at least one more year out of him to allow the cap figure to stabilize and for Love to be closer to ready.
Rodgers says he's leaving now, you pick the way I go. Trade or ****storm. Your move Gutekunst.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:06 AM
How many wins does that team get without Ridgers? lol yeah. Speak rationally? How about be a bit smarter to look past win/loss numbers. The simplicity of your rationale makes me chuckle

How many wins does any team get with a backup QB. Ask a serious question.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:09 AM
What?!? What they say & what they have done are completely opposite!

Traded up to draft his replacement knowing full well in year 3 they can move on from ARod if they want. That 2020 draft was a huge signal of what they were planning. How is this even a bone of contention? Of course they’re going to say Aaron is their guy. Especially after he threw a wrench into the plan with a dominant MVP season.

Or trade up so we can go 3-3 if he misses 6 games and get him back for the playoffs? Maybe Gutes didn't want to experience the Todd Hundley thing. Maybe instead of missing the playoffs with Rodgers healthy in week 16 he wanted to still be in it.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 10:09 AM
How many wins does any team get with a backup QB. Ask a serious question.

Ok. How many wins with Goff? Prescott? Cousins? My guess 9 & they’re not in a title game. Very few starting QB’s win with the inconsistency around our WR corp. better?

Jaire
04-30-2021, 10:10 AM
They did not move up for Love imo. They moved up for a WR. The draft did not fall for them and they got jumped. Love was their high board. It might have been a back up plan. They do not make that pick again in retrospect. That's just how I see it. They also tried moving for a WR in round two. It wasn't a good draft class last year.

Stokes was one of their guys this year. So I am happy so far. When you draft low, it is a lot harder.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:12 AM
“We have a very good football team here,” Gutekunst said, . “And we have a great organization. We’re very committed to him. I think as the lines of communications have been open, I’m just optimistic that’s what’s best for the Green Bay Packers, and I truly believe that’s what’s best for Aaron Rodgers as well.”

“I certainly look back to last year’s draft,” Gutekunst said Thursday, “and just kind of maybe some of the communication issues we could have done better. There’s no doubt about it. The draft is an interesting thing. It can kind of unfold differently than you think it’s going to unfold, and it happens pretty fast. But certainly looking back on it, certainly where we sit today, there could have been some communication things that we did better.”

Rodgers is a very cerebral guy. He's very measured in what he says to the press and he has always been cautious about what's been released to the press.
After last year's draft, opinion pieces were written about the effect the drafting of Love would have on Rodgers, but those stories died on the vine because of the muted responses by Rodgers and his "people".
This is different. I don't believe it was an accident that this news dropped. I don't believe it was "fake news", although some of the stories branching from his "peoples" announcement about not playing for the Packers again are fake.
Gutekunst as much as acknowledged the rift in his press conference Thursday night.

I've been hearing that he doesn't have leverage to demand a trade. I think he has all the leverage in the world. He can retire. He can hold out. Rodgers doesn't need the money. By dropping this story, the Packers are on notice.
My opinion is that he has played his last down with this team. He dropped this story after telling the team he was through with them.
He's leaving on his terms. Gutekunst would like to get at least one more year out of him to allow the cap figure to stabilize and for Love to be closer to ready.
Rodgers says he's leaving now, you pick the way I go. Trade or ****storm. Your move Gutekunst.

Favre chose shitstorm. He never won another ring. GB won one a couple years later. Shitstorm is not really a thing other than to the media.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:14 AM
Ok. How many wins with Goff? Prescott? Cousins? My guess 9 & they’re not in a title game. Very few starting QB’s win with the inconsistency around our WR corp. better?

Guess? We are guessing now? I think we get 10 wins with Blake Bortles. I think we get 10 wins with any of the guys you mentioned. I think we would certainly be worse, duh...

However, I am a fan of Rodgers talent. I want him back. He is elite. he isn't the entire 53 man roster though. He didn't pick off Brady 3 times, he is the guy who failed to take advantage of it.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:15 AM
They did not move up for Love imo. They moved up for a WR. The draft did not fall for them and they got jumped. Love was their high board. It might have been a back up plan. They do not make that pick again in retrospect. That's just how I see it. They also tried moving for a WR in round two. It wasn't a good draft class last year.

Stokes was one of their guys this year. So I am happy so far. When you draft low, it is a lot harder.

They did NOT move up and go "oops, what do we do now...ah hell, lets just take a QB"

Packers4Glory
Or trade up so we can go 3-3 if he misses 6 games and get him back for the playoffs? Maybe Gutes didn't want to experience the Todd Hundley thing. Maybe instead of missing the playoffs with Rodgers healthy in week 16 he wanted to still be in it.

cool considering he wasn't even the backup qb. maybe he was planning for Rodgers being injury in 2021 and Love helping go 3-3...He's always thinking ahead i guess. Makes sense since they were just in the NFC championship and got ran out of the stadium and had a ton of WR issues in the deepest WR class we've seen in a long time.

Spaulding

I don't know if the majority view all of this the same way you do. Taking emotion out of it (where of the Love pick which I think the vast majority of us weren't a fan of) the other picks make sense even if we as fans wanted other players. Any good organization has clear communication between the head coach and GM. Drafting Dillon and Deguara was in line with what evidently LeFluer wanted for the offense. His background isn't air out and so having Adams and a bunch of #3 or #4's was sufficient for the offense to click.

Resigning Jones whose an incredibly skilled player and line up equally adept at RB or WR is a weapon most teams would kill for. Almost all good teams have two good RB's these days and having Jones/Dillon provides depth and flexibility given Jones can line up as WR if that leads to mismatches.

The NFL is a chess match these days and it seems like LeFluer knows how to leverage it with the roster he has. Having a Hall of Fame QB at the helm makes it especially effective.

I'm curious, outside of the Love pick which appears to likely be a waste unless Rodgers goes down with injury or forces his way off the team, what positions should the Packers have drafted in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds last year that would have put them over the top?

Short of King getting torched, Rodgers not running the ball near the goal line, kicking a field goal on 4th instead of going for it and/or not running the ball more late in the game, I don't know that any players drafted last year would have been the difference. I don't think the roster was the issue.

The team had the talent and opportunities to win that game, it just came down to execution and miscommunication. Beyond King's given TD, were the shortcomings on Rodgers audibles or LeFluer's play calling?

Jaire
04-30-2021, 10:18 AM

Based on this, it sounds like they are on better terms with Rodgers this year than last. LIS the Love pick was not tgere first choice but they were not sure of Rodgers and if you remember the 2019 season, there were some real concerns.

Wait til the draft and headlines blow over. But Rodgers is 100 percent back. The only question will be 2022 whether they can further patch things up. Of course winning a Super Bowl makes all the controversy disappear.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 10:20 AM
You say shitty HBack, Flower says swiss army knife. I'll take his acumen on running an offense over yours. Dillon? The one area we lacked was short yardage success in 2019...great pick.

Boneheaded organization that has been to back to back NFCC games and is near the top of the league in wins going back over 2 decades.....fuck ups.
The organization is ran differently. Murphy consolidated power. all decisions run through him, so ultimately this is his mess. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's the same organization. Even under Thompson, they did well but didn't take advantage of free agency like they should have. They have never really been able to put it all together year in and year out to take advantage of I'll say is the best QB in history. The defense has always been an issue that's really never been solved. the one year he had a legit defense they won a super bowl. They haven't done Rodgers much of a service during his time. That killer instinct to go for the jugular is missing and the previous 2 drafts are just a nice summary of that.

bobblehead
04-30-2021, 10:20 AM
cool considering he wasn't even the backup qb. maybe he was planning for Rodgers being injury in 2021 and Love helping go 3-3...He's always thinking ahead i guess. Makes sense since they were just in the NFC championship and got ran out of the stadium and had a ton of WR issues in the deepest WR class we've seen in a long time.

We can do this all day. I'm not really wanting to defend taking love. I hated the pick. I'm just open minded enough to see possible reasons it was done. This is a better WR draft than last year. More picks in the top 10 than last year. Chase is better than anyone last year, and many think waddle is as well.

Offer opinions, thats what a board is. But when you get all clown shoes it gets old. I'm going to walk my dogs and get ready for a hopeful trade up for Jenkins, JOK, or Barmore.

Rodgers is insane good. No argument. But the idea that the TEAM is Rodgers and no one else....tired.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 10:21 AM
They did NOT move up and go "oops, what do we do now...ah hell, lets just take a QB"

No. They took the only guy left on their high board. They did it because they were not sure of Rodgers. Like Gute said, they would not do it again. And Gute takes the blame for whatever rift they had with Rodgers: "communications".

It's not simple in my opinion. But Gute definitely said (now several times) that the board did not fall their way.

Vincenzo
04-30-2021, 10:23 AM
Thanks for this.
But why does Rodgers have to be such a dick about all of this? Why does he always seem to be in a “snit” or a “huff?”
Someone wrote something yesterday that’s sticking with me, yes it’s tongue in cheek but it’s certainly worth considering...it went:

“Other than give Rodgers $240M, what have they done for him? Seriously, only a quarter billion dollars? That's not near enough to buy some loyalty.”

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 10:24 AM
Based on this, it sounds like they are on better terms with Rodgers this year than last. LIS the Love pick was not tgere first choice but they were not sure of Rodgers and if you remember the 2019 season, there were some real concerns.

Wait til the draft and headlines blow over. But Rodgers is 100 percent back. The only question will be 2022 whether they can further patch things up. Of course winning a Super Bowl makes all the controversy disappear.
Rodgers was still one of the best in the league in 2019 while adapting to a brand new offense. the biggest concern at this point is injury

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 10:25 AM
We can do this all day. I'm not really wanting to defend taking love. I hated the pick. I'm just open minded enough to see possible reasons it was done. This is a better WR draft than last year. More picks in the top 10 than last year. Chase is better than anyone last year, and many think waddle is as well.

Offer opinions, thats what a board is. But when you get all clown shoes it gets old. I'm going to walk my dogs and get ready for a hopeful trade up for Jenkins, JOK, or Barmore.

Rodgers is insane good. No argument. But the idea that the TEAM is Rodgers and no one else....tired. I've heard nobody say this years WR class is better.

beveaux1
04-30-2021, 10:32 AM
Rodgers appears to be motivated by perceived sleights.
I think it motivated him last year and it would be fitting, in his mind, to win the MVP, show how wrong the Packers were about his ability, and force them to trade him.

Maybe he stewed about this all year and this was the outcome. I do believe that he really wanted to go out with the Super Bowl, but this was the next best outcome.

Jaire
04-30-2021, 10:35 AM
Rodgers was still one of the best in the league in 2019 while adapting to a brand new offense. the biggest concern at this point is injury

Rodgers admitted that he had problems in 2019. He made a complete change of his mindset in 2020. His play last year was way better and it wasn't just a a second year improvement. It was his second or third best season of his career. There were real questions.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 11:00 AM
The talk of "they paid him a quarter million dollars, where's the loyalty" is tired because that is the market rate if not below it for his services. He certainly could make more if he demanded it.

https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1388159811875971075

ESPN's
@AdamSchefter
says Aaron Rodgers has told some teammates he doesn't plan to return.

Hmm. That's probably a bigger step than just telling the guys running the team he doesn't want to be there, right?

Not a good sign.

I agree the Packers don't have to do anything, but I think it ends very poorly and they burn the bridge if they do that. I await the Ty Dunne article with the true story.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 11:07 AM
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/31365563

Schefter with more details.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 11:16 AM
I guess I would just say that I don't understand the situation here.

If the Packers truly do intend for Rodgers to be here indefinitely and thought that after last season - then why the hell did they draft Love? The odds of flipping him for multiple first round picks is extremely low. Two second round picks in the future would be equivalent value to the #1 they used to draft him. Anyone with a high pick that needs a QB isn't going to give up a high number 1 to get Love, they'll just draft someone that is younger and under control for cheap for longer. Basically, there is no scenario where the "flip" makes sense for a value option.

If they intended for Love to be the QB of the future, that means they did not intend for Rodgers to be that guy.

Players want to play. Yes, Aaron sat for three years and apparently that was a very contentious thing. It is also a very different time now. I think best case that plan was for Love to sit two years.

The Jordan Love pick was foolish in virtually every way. There was an extremely low level of upside relative to the downside. We're seeing that manifest itself right now. The odds of this dude being a star QB like the the dude in Baltimore picked at the bottom of R1 is extremely, extremely low. Very rarely does a QB drafted this low become a franchise QB.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Then why draft Dillon with a 2nd? You don’t spend that kind of pick on a RB when you can find guys later or UDFA? Dillon was a reach at 2 as it was.

Because his tree trunk legs.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 11:29 AM

If the Packers truly do intend for Rodgers to be here indefinitely and thought that after last season - then why the hell did they draft Love? The odds of flipping him for multiple first round picks is extremely low. Two second round picks in the future would be equivalent value to the #1 they used to draft him. Anyone with a high pick that needs a QB isn't going to give up a high number 1 to get Love, they'll just draft someone that is younger and under control for cheap for longer. Basically, there is no scenario where the "flip" makes sense for a value option.

If they intended for Love to be the QB of the future, that means they did not intend for Rodgers to be that guy.

Players want to play. Yes, Aaron sat for three years and apparently that was a very contentious thing. It is also a very different time now. I think best case that plan was for Love to sit two years.

The Jordan Love pick was foolish in virtually every way. There was an extremely low level of upside relative to the downside. We're seeing that manifest itself right now. The odds of this dude being a star QB like the the dude in Baltimore picked at the bottom of R1 is extremely, extremely low. Very rarely does a QB drafted this low become a franchise QB.

Because he was a good value on their board.

beveaux1
04-30-2021, 11:34 AM

I agree with what you're saying, but in fairly recent Packer history, Favre was drafted at the top of the 2nd round and Rodgers was drafted at the end of the first.
The odds of Rodgers turning it around a at 37 and becoming MVP after 4 relatively poor seasons was low and the GMs job is to make a tough decision and ensure the succession at the most necessary position.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 11:35 AM
Because he was a good value on their board.

I am deeply skeptical of that, though. I question what the plan was and have never heard anyone articulate a plan that makes sense.

sharpe1027
04-30-2021, 11:49 AM
I am deeply skeptical of that, though. I question what the plan was and have never heard anyone articulate a plan that makes sense.

Really? You think he wasn't high on their board and they reached just because he was a QB and they had some master plan to push Rodgers out. I guess.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 12:13 PM
The Packers should have taken the Broncos deal and drafted Justin Fields.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 12:19 PM
The Packers should have taken the Broncos deal and drafted Justin Fields.

100% agreed. I _really_ like Justin Fields.

Rutnstrut
04-30-2021, 12:20 PM
What a shit show. Either the ghost of TT is running things, or Rodgers is a whiny bitch. I'm going with a bit of both with most emphasis on AR being a whiny bitch.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 12:21 PM
Really? You think he wasn't high on their board and they reached just because he was a QB and they had some master plan to push Rodgers out. I guess.

I think they thought he was a pretty good QB prospect and they needed to do something in case Aaron reverted to Aaron of 2017-2019.

Simply playing the odds, the odds of him ever being a top 10 QB in the league are extremely low relative to where he was drafted.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 12:26 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1388176047351517187

1) Some things to understand about the Packers' organization: It is a far less collaborative environment than most NFL buildings. There's a separation between business, football operations/management & coaching. Big personnel decisions are made with very little coaching input...

2) The degeneration of the relationship between Rodgers and the team, including the drafting of Jordan Love a year ago and what has followed, essentially happened outside the purview of Matt LaFleur and his staff. Yet it's something that he, as a head coach, has to deal with...

3) The last three months--since the team's NFC championship game defeat to the Bucs--haven't been easy for LaFleur to navigate. He and his assistants are all in on Rodgers and want to continue what they've built over the last two seasons. It's not up to them.

Sounds like the new org structure isn't exactly functional. Hubris.

Packers4Glory
04-30-2021, 12:42 PM
I think they thought he was a pretty good QB prospect and they needed to do something in case Aaron reverted to Aaron of 2017-2019.

Simply playing the odds, the odds of him ever being a top 10 QB in the league are extremely low relative to where he was drafted.

what? Rodgers was pretty good with a shit cast and a highly predictable offense. If you're getting Rodgers from 18 and 19 you're a super bowl contender lol how could they ever win with 2018 rodgers and his shitty 25 TD and 2 INT season or the 2019 26 TD and 4 INT season

unsurprisingly add in a threat at TE in 2020 and he goes off completely. or the fact 2019 Adams missed time and wasn't as effective so when he was out Rodgers had probably the worst receiving corp in football.

there is absolutely zero defense for drafting Love. none. even if they moved up to grab a WR that the niners took, they needed a better plan B in case that option was removed.

you were in the NFC title game. Go out and improve your weaknesses with guys who can immediately have a chance to make an impact. not for 3 years down the road.