PDA

View Full Version : Official Eric Stokes, 2021 #1 Pick thread.

George Cumby
04-30-2021, 11:30 AM
Post articles/links/analysis here.

You guys are slacking.

smuggler
04-30-2021, 12:52 PM
Teams throwing against him in 2020 experienced a negative expected points added rating of -16, higher than that of Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II. He was taking away more than half a point per target.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/23/eric-stokes-potential-nfl-draft-steal-hiding-plain-sight

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 01:04 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/why-packers-fans-excited-eric-162435807.html

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2021/04/30/packers-draft-eric-stokes-what-know-georgia-cornerback/4864040001/

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/29/what-draft-analysts-said-about-new-packers-cb-eric-stokes/

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 01:05 PM
Dane Brugler, The Athletic (draft guide): “A two-year starter at Georgia, Stokes lined up at right cornerback in head coach Kirby Smart’s 3-3-5 base scheme, seeing time inside and outside. After moving to cornerback as a senior in high school, he quickly adapted to the position in the SEC, impressing the coaches with his ability to apply coaching and trust his skill set. Stokes enjoyed his best season in 2020 with four interceptions and allowing only 38.5% completions when targeted. Stokes has elite NFL play speed and won’t lose many foot races. He uses body control, patience and footwork to stay square and in phase. While his competitiveness downfield is a positive trait, he panics at times and needs to be more subtle with his contact (nine penalties in college). Overall, Stokes must correct his play recognition and transition flaws, but his size, speed and promising ball awareness are undeniable and scheme-versatile traits that will help him compete for starting reps early in his NFL career.”

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com: “Stokes is a size/speed cornerback with good ball skills. He flashes a one-hand jam to re-route in press coverage, but he’s a little rigid when he has to open up and turn/run. He has plenty of recovery speed if he’s beat off the line. He has good eyes to key/read and drive on the ball in off coverage. He is very aware in the deep third, showing the ability to find and play the ball. He isn’t a smooth/fluid mover, but he is very explosive in a straight line. He’s an effective blitzer with timing and burst to close. He is a reliable tackler in space, as well. Overall, Stokes has some tightness, but I love his size/speed combination. He has a chance to develop into a solid starter at the next level.”

Lance Zierlein, NFL.com: Depending upon scheme, need or preference, Stokes offers teams the potential to play him outside or from the slot. Speed and quickness should allow him to stay with route runners or within close-out distance when he gets behind. Stokes played with better press technique in 2020 and he’s willing to get physical near the goal line, but his play strength is below average. While there have been mild flashes of playmaking potential, he’s more likely to play the receiver rather than attacking the football and looking for takeaways. He’s twitchy in tight quarters with the potential to become more disruptive in zone. His size, speed and athleticism could make him a Day 2 pick as a future CB3, but his weakness as a run defender will be challenged quickly by NFL offenses.

Mike Renner, Pro Football Focus (draft guide): “One thing is for sure: Georgia is going to miss Stokes in its secondary. He’s been easily the most consistent corner in the SEC outside of Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II over the past three seasons. In 2020, Stokes had five full games where he allowed fewer than 10 yards. He goes about his business very quietly and rarely gives opponents clean opportunities. He’s no stranger to college football’s lack of an illegal contact penalty, though, and does a lot of his dirty work via contacting receivers. He might struggle transitioning to the NFL when that’s not the case.”

Jordan Reid, The Draft Network: “From 2019 to 2020, Eric Stokes has certainly improved at being more opportunistic with regards to securing turnovers. He can mirror from a press position, but he can afford to clean up his technique—particularly his eye discipline in man coverage and getting “grabby” at the top of the route. He has shown the ability to play in man or zone from a press and occasional off position, but he does not play to his high-level timed speed with his play. He’s not a dynamic closer at the top of the route and lacks elite short-area, stop-and-start agility. His skill set may be best suited in a predominantly zone situation where he can play with vision and utilize his ball skills to make plays.”

Bleacher Report Scouting Department: “Stokes is a speedy, cover first corner. Playing in the SEC, he has the speed to run with most receivers he came up against. He is able to mirror and stay in receivers’ hip pockets; though at times he struggled to drop his hips when open in full stride. He has shown the vision and awareness needed in zone coverage. He will need to improve his physicality in the run game. Even with his open-field tackling being a bit of a concern at times, he is able to hold his own and get the ball-carrier down for the most part. With the potential to be an NFL starter, Stokes will need to sure up his consistency.”

Mark Schofield, Touchdown Wire: “If an experienced cornerback who played at a high level in the SEC and is ready to handle a variety of coverage responsibilities in the NFL sounds like your cup of tea, then Stokes might be the player for you. He is a schematically-diverse cornerback with man coverage skills, including from press alignments, as well as the ability to handle zone coverages without panicking or bailing out of his drop early in the down. He is very patient in press alignment, waiting for the receiver to make his move before firing out his hands to get into the receiver’s body. A perfect example of this comes from his game against Florida, where he was aligned in press down near the goal line and prevented a touchdown on a slant route. He is physical off the line, and if you remember Malcolm Butler’s interception at the end of Super Bowl XLIX you might also remember what Brandon Browner did on that play, driving into the receiver off the snap. Stokes did the exact same thing on a similar design against the Gators this year.”

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 01:05 PM
DOUBLE POST.. SORRY

smuggler
04-30-2021, 01:22 PM
Technically you're at 3-in-a-row. You should've just owned it, Sparks!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 02:11 PM
I'm guessing this will be the only A grade, so I might as well post it. :)

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Analysis: Cornerback was a major need for the Packers, even after re-signing Kevin King. Stokes was in the first-round conversation even before his 4.29 pro day 40 yard-dash, thanks to his fluid hips and excellent ball skills. He can play in the slot or outside, so this was an excellent usage of the pick. I expect them to find another receiver and offensive line help in Rounds 2-4.

smuggler
04-30-2021, 02:24 PM
Reuter gave only one grade lower than a B. It was a C.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 02:28 PM
I'm guessing this will be the only A grade, so I might as well post it. :)

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

It looks like he gave 80% A’s. McGinns scouts talked some shit about Stokes just being an athlete. But they talked shit about Rodgers and other great players too.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 02:29 PM
I think over the years media have talked shit about players who became HOFers so they just lean on the safe side and like everyone.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 02:31 PM
I think over the years media have talked shit about players who became HOFers so they just lean on the safe side and like everyone.

McGinn's scouts always were overly harsh on prospects. I still enjoyed reading them, but scouts are grumpy. :)

Upnorth
04-30-2021, 02:56 PM
The more I have read the more I love stokes as #2. And he should improve to be a 1b in all likely hood. Hugh upside player.

RashanGary
04-30-2021, 03:15 PM
The more I have read the more I love stokes as #2. And he should improve to be a 1b in all likely hood. Hugh upside player.

I give him a one year grace period to figure it out. Glad we still have King to ease the transition. Maybe the new coaching staff will be able to reach king and he’ll repeat 2019

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2021, 03:37 PM
It's tough when there are prospects you like there (JOK, Barmore, Jenkins for some), but I can't get down on this pick. He was my next CB, and really he is the CB that probably is the most similar to Greg Newsome. Athletically, size wise, versatility wise they are pretty similar. Stokes doesn't come with the injury concerns that Newsome does. In my spreadsheet I have Newsome slightly more agile, a little better in zone (Stokes solid, Newsome good), and with a little better instincts (Stokes good, Newsome great). I have Stokes a little taller, slightly faster and more explosive, and a little better tackler. I rate both good in man and press and both with solid ball skills.

The consensus had Samuel next and then Stokes, but that wasn't universal. I also think Stokes is a better fit for the Packers because of Samuel's height and the possibility that Samuel will be a slot CB only--although I feel he can play outside CB in a primarily zone scheme.

call_me_ishmael
04-30-2021, 03:54 PM
It's hard to argue with this pick. It's not what I envisioned originally but on paper fortifying the position that was burned so badly in the NFCC seems like a good idea.

wist43
04-30-2021, 05:48 PM
Here is the problem with Stokes... as I said last night - his footwork, false steps, getting turned, not reading routes correctly, weak tackler.

For this pick to work out, they're going to have to coach him past all those negatives. Most of those negatives are the result of being poorly prepared. He's going to have to study film 24/7 to have any chance at all.

Everyone wants to replace King, but King's biggest snafus were b/c of mental lapses, not a lack of physical talent.

Stokes has further to go than King did coming into the league. He's got talent, but he's a huge peoject.

https://youtu.be/fOZqIXRasFk

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 05:51 PM
Have I disappointed the forum by not being pissed as hell out the pick :)) ? This pick feels so unemotional. I don't think we picked the BPA, but since we picked for a clear cut need I'm at peace with that. Kumbayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

P.S. A guy I do not want round 2 is Niko Collins. I really hope he gets snapped up ahead of GB's pick.

red
04-30-2021, 05:58 PM
its really amassing how some places had the guy as a top 20 player in the draft, and other places had him as a 3rd or 4th rounder

its nuts how one guy can see one thing and another guy can see the exact opposite

Bretsky
04-30-2021, 06:00 PM
Most I read had him top of round 2. But look at his RAS scores and it's no surprise Gute drafted a RAS guy at a position of need............probably over a few BPA's

red
04-30-2021, 06:02 PM
Have I disappointed the forum by not being pissed as hell out the pick :)) ? This pick feels so unemotional. I don't think we picked the BPA, but since we picked for a clear cut need I'm at peace with that. Kumbayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

P.S. A guy I do not want round 2 is Niko Collins. I really hope he gets snapped up ahead of GB's pick.

i spent maybe a hout total looking at draft prospects this year, so i didn't fall in love with anyone

so i didn't get pissed when a guy i wanted got picked right before us, and i wasn't pissed if we passed on a guy i like, because i really didn't know any of the guys

i was just like, "oh, so thats out pick, cool"

i highly recommend doing that. it was a stress free night, without disappointment. well, other the the a-rod shit

Sparkey
04-30-2021, 06:15 PM
Here is the problem with Stokes... as I said last night - his footwork, false steps, getting turned, not reading routes correctly, weak tackler.

For this pick to work out, they're going to have to coach him past all those negatives. Most of those negatives are the result of being poorly prepared. He's going to have to study film 24/7 to have any chance at all.

Everyone wants to replace King, but King's biggest snafus were b/c of mental lapses, not a lack of physical talent.

Stokes has further to go than King did coming into the league. He's got talent, but he's a huge peoject.

https://youtu.be/fOZqIXRasFk

It's probably good that Jerry Gray will be working with him.

SudsMcBucky
04-30-2021, 06:21 PM
For what it's worth, my buddy who is a Georgia season ticket holder says Stokes is a stud and way better than Tyson Campbell who just got picked by Jax.

red
04-30-2021, 06:55 PM
For what it's worth, my buddy who is a Georgia season ticket holder says Stokes is a stud and way better than Tyson Campbell who just got picked by Jax.

i think i read last night that he only allowed 28 completions last year, and he was lined up against a whole slew of first round picks last night

that seems pretty damn good to me. only 3 completions per game

smuggler
04-30-2021, 07:23 PM
28 targets, I believe, Red

red
04-30-2021, 07:59 PM
28 targets, I believe, Red

thats crazy

smuggler
05-01-2021, 02:20 AM
Opponents preferred to test the other guy, Campbell, who went at the top of the 2nd round. So, the college football world believed our guy was the better player, by act if not by word of mouth.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 05:31 AM

That’s the stuff I like to hear. Packers fans know how good jaire is. When you watch every game your opinion starts to count.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 06:34 AM
Ask your buddy about this third Georgia Corner. Yes, they actually have another guy in today's list of top Corners available, and I'm ready for the Packers to draft another Corner in the 4th or 5th. Chasing the Badger Wildgoose also wouldn't be a bad idea.

King Friday
05-01-2021, 08:25 AM
And all of what you say is on top of the fact that the kid hasn't really been playing the position that long. He's come a long way in a short time, and will be able to soak up info like a sponge from a guy like Jaire.

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 08:31 AM
That’s the stuff I like to hear. Packers fans know how good jaire is. When you watch every game your opinion starts to count.

YUP...I LOVE to hear this stuff as well. It's why I'm Luke Warm on round 2 based on HW's reaction.

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 08:32 AM
Ask your buddy about this third Georgia Corner. Yes, they actually have another guy in today's list of top Corners available, and I'm ready for the Packers to draft another Corner in the 4th or 5th. Chasing the Badger Wildgoose also wouldn't be a bad idea.

AND THE BIG DT ISAIAH

run pMc
05-01-2021, 09:04 AM
Seems like he's a pretty good man corner with length (if not strength) to press. Staley and Pettine both played a lot of zone, so I wonder about fit. I like him best of the UGA CBs, and he's held up well vs. SEC WRs who are often as talented as what he'll face on Sunday.
Better athlete than football player right now, but seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders and he's only played corner for a few years so he's still got room to develop.

I don't hate the pick. They needed a corner and I think he helps them. King, Jackson, and Sullivan are basically on one year deals at this point so they need more depth.

The instant grades thing is dumb -- we won't know for 2-3 years -- but it feels like a B grade. Didn't knock it out of the park, but didn't screw it up and draft a QB/TE/RB from Pewaukee Community College.

smuggler
05-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Wildgoose seems like a corner for a bygone era. Maybe I'm wrong.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:02 PM
NFC scout: “He’s got great recovery skills. He’s got a knack for the interception. He just stands out. He started out as a running back and track guy. Then he quit the track team to focus on football. He’s got good toughness. He’s a physical tackler. He’s an exceptional special-teamer. There’s high upside with this guy. Late-first or early-second round.”

AFC scout: “He has the same grade as (fellow Georgia CB Tyson) Campbell. Stokes is skinnier than Campbell, but he is really instinctive and is a click faster. He’s the fastest guy of the (cornerback) group.”

NFC scout: “He can’t catch, but he can run fast. He’s big and athletic. He goes between 30 and 45.”

NFC scout: “I like him, but he has worse ball skills than Campbell. Watch his pro day. He has more interceptions than Campbell, so the ball might find him, but he’ll never be a natural at it. … If he gets balls where he can track it and doesn’t have to get his eyes to it late, he’ll catch those. If he has to get his eyes to it late, he’ll have problems with those. Is he first-round worthy? Probably late, or early in the second.”

AFC scout: “I don’t like him as much as some people. I didn’t even see second round.”

NFC scout: “He was up and down in his career. He was a little bit better this year. His big issue is transition quickness, when he’s in off coverage, getting out of his backpedal, planting and driving back toward the receiver for the ball. Another way to say it is matching routes. His ability to match routes when he’s in zone was off. His deep-ball skills were really inconsistent.”

AFC scout: “He’s Stanford Routt. He’s stiff. He’s a track guy playing football. Now, he can play press. He has height and speed. Sprinters are straight-line guys. Fourth or fifth round.”

NFC scout: “(I) like him. I’d take him over (Caleb) Farley. He’s big, too, and he’s smooth. He’s got excellent feel and body control. Just a natural at what he does. Press stuff is easy for him. When he’s off, he’s got instant change of direction. His length kind of saves him.”

AFC scout: “He needs to improve his ball skills. The height/weight/speed (combo) is going to be too hard to pass up.”

NFC scout: “I’d like to take a shot on him because he can really fly.”

AFC scout: “He’s a starter. He just doesn’t take the ball away the way other guys do.”

AFC scout: “He’s twitched up and he’s fast. Little bit of a track body. I like him. The speed might push him over because at that position, people will gamble.”

NFC scout: “He ran 4.2 something. Somebody might take him in the first. (Georgia coach) Kirby Smart said he is a little rough around the edges, but he is physical and he’s fast.”

NFC scout: “He can’t catch, but he can run.”

AFC scout: “He’s not the total package, but he has the physical qualities.”

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:06 PM
Stokes looks like a bit of a risk. Competitive, solid football player in SEC but had some growth areas he needs to work on. His speed and solid tape make him a really high upside late first rounder. I wouldn't call him a sure thing. I think they bet on the worker and the person a bit too. He wants to be good. Works to get better. Solid guy. I think the uspside and the person are what they bet on here.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:08 PM
I'm gonna put this with the Rashan Gary pick as an extreme upside guy who you can count on you work hard to iron out the rough spots. Just like Gary, he's gonna will himself into a good player. And that Sam Shields speed don't hurt.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 01:13 PM
AND THE BIG DT ISAIAH

Yeah, I'd like to get him before the day is over too, BTW, you left out his second H. I don't think he can play Corner, though hahahaha.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 01:23 PM
Stokes looks like a bit of a risk. Competitive, solid football player in SEC but had some growth areas he needs to work on. His speed and solid tape make him a really high upside late first rounder. I wouldn't call him a sure thing. I think they bet on the worker and the person a bit too. He wants to be good. Works to get better. Solid guy. I think the uspside and the person are what they bet on here.

Even though he has all that athleticism, he appears to be pretty much polished too, playing at such a high level against SEC competition, etc. The risk would be that bad habit of holding, but they say the guy is intelligent and high character, so that should translate to coachable, and he should lose the bad habit - mostly anyway. We might not want him to give it up completely if he is adept at getting away with it. I've got a good feeling that Stokes is gonna be a bookend with Jaire sooner rather than later.

Zool
05-01-2021, 08:38 PM
NFC scout: “He’s got great recovery skills. He’s go....snip

Well there's consensus on his speed, but almost nothing else. I can't imagine many CBs who started 2+ years in the SEC and run under a 4.3 last until the 4th or 5th round. I guess scouts are people like anyone else. They like to sound smarter than they might be.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 09:32 PM
Well there's consensus on his speed, but almost nothing else. I can't imagine many CBs who started 2+ years in the SEC and run under a 4.3 last until the 4th or 5th round. I guess scouts are people like anyone else. They like to sound smarter than they might be.

Yeah, and they’re wrong every year. Some of the best players get passed over 3-4 times by every team abd crappier players taken first. These guys are pretty good, but over sure of themselves. And these are ones unnamed talking to media members. Not your who’s who of humility.

run pMc
05-02-2021, 12:28 PM
There's rarely consensus on a player, especially one outside the top 15. All these college kids have warts. Overcoming them determines their NFL fate. I could see Stokes flaming out just as easily as him succeeding. I don't get future HOF vibes from the pick but I think he improves the talent in the CB room.

RashanGary
05-02-2021, 01:51 PM
There's rarely consensus on a player, especially one outside the top 15. All these college kids have warts. Overcoming them determines their NFL fate. I could see Stokes flaming out just as easily as him succeeding. I don't get future HOF vibes from the pick but I think he improves the talent in the CB room.

Yep. Stokes is no sure thing. Packers betting on talent and the person but no sure thing at all.

Jaire
07-20-2021, 12:54 AM
I have to admit hating yet another early db pick, but I believe now it was BPA and a perfect fit across from Jaire (something of an Al Davis- Wolfe / replace Sam Shields pick).

Now that the dust has settled and looking more into the kid, this is a bona fide steal. He's not gonna be Jaire (#1 CB1 in the nfl), but the kid is a stud with legit 4.2 speed. Only allowed 3 TDs the last three years against the best WRs the SEC has produced in years. Never got beat deep by the speedsters either. Nothing but accolades from coaches and everyone who knows him. Improved every year.

Don't see how he fails with Gray coaching. And he only needs to be CB2.

Regardless, the kid will be fun to watch develop. Not our typical settle for 2nd best or bottom of tier 1or 2 db pick. Legit