PDA

View Full Version : Official Day Three of the Draft Thread 2021

Fritz
05-01-2021, 09:06 AM
As you probably know, I don't follow the players from college much at all, so all the names that get picked today by the Pack will be mysteries to me.

Any of you have hopes for particular players in rounds four and five?

By the way, it did seem like steep price to pay for getting Amari Rodgers. Supposedly the compensation for moving up only seven picks in the third to get him should've been more in line with the Packers' first pick in the fifth round - so giving up not only a fourth, but your earlier fourth, was a high price to pay. Apparently Gutes really, really wanted the guy. Fine by me.

But it does mean Tennessee and six other teams will be picking before you do in the fourth round, compared to the fourth rounder you had the day before when you traded it. But if Rodgers works out, that won't matter. If Tennessee gets the next TJ Watt in that fourth round slot, we will all be pissed.

But who do people like today? And what positions?

Fritz
05-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Apparently nobody gives a flying fuck about the Packers' fourth round pick, much less the fifths, sixths, or seventh.

Draft a punter and another quarterback!

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 11:11 AM
I like Josh Imatorbhebhe at WR. Marvin Wilson on the Dline.
Derrick Barnes, the lb from Purdue and Rachad Wildgoose at DB.

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 11:14 AM
I also like Daviyon Nixon and Tylan Wallace, but don't think they will make it to 142.

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 11:22 AM
ILB for me, please.

Fritz
05-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Since I don't know the players, I would say, position-wise I'd like to see an ILB and another corner and/or a safety, and maybe a sixth-round flyer on another wide receiver.

A big body for the line would be great, but apparently there's not much that will be available quality-wise.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 12:14 PM
ILB for me, please.

Dylan Moses maybe?

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 12:22 PM
One more OL if they’re deep there. Let’s double down and make sure we have the horses. Aaron Rodgers doesn’t realize it but he’s been sort of blessed with the OL and WRs he’s played with for most of his career. A couple down years and 10 really good ones for him. Keep it going even if Rodgers thinks he’s doing it himself.

pittstang5
05-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Today, I'm looking for a Safety - no clue if there is anyone worth a 4th, but I think it's a position that if Amos or Savage were to go down, we have no decent depth behind them.

Other than that, in no particular order, here's what I'm also looking for:

ILB
D-line (Big body to relieve Clark)
Offensive Tackle (I think we have enough inside players)
OLB
QB

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 12:37 PM
This is where the draft drops off with so many seniors going back for a 5th year with the covid options. All the top prospects came to the draft but the day 3 guys took one more year to build a resume.

I’m happy with the top 3 but I have a feeling we might not get much else.

pittstang5
05-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Anyone have a link or site they are using to see who is actually available in real time?

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Anyone have a link or site they are using to see who is actually available in real time?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Royce Newman

Grade Analysis

Can play anywhere up front. Balance. Great hand work. Agile. Just has to get stronger and add more girth to his frame. Smart pick by Green Bay. (Chris Trapasso)

pittstang5
05-01-2021, 12:55 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

thanks

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 12:55 PM
Never heard of the guy, so he wasn’t ranked in the top 150 of the 6 sites i looked at.

bobblehead
05-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Kenny Gainwell still undrafted. Thats a mystery to me.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:10 PM
McGinn will have a couple quotes. Some guys body develops a little later. Maybe betting on physical growth.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Seems like a solid player already and that was still developing. About what you'd expect at this point.

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 01:15 PM
This will test the blinders some have for gutebag

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 01:15 PM

Yup me too

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:22 PM

What will test that??

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 01:23 PM

You think the last pick was that bad or something? I only know what I just googled on the kid, so I am curious what you think and why.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:23 PM
It looks like theyre ok with moving Jenkins out to tackle long term. Theyre loading up inside. Makes sense. It's easier to find centers and guards. If you have a solid tackle on the roster and we probably do with Jenkins, it makes sense to just move him out and fill the inside spots.

run pMc
05-01-2021, 01:35 PM
Re: Newman! I'll be interested to hear what the personnel department has to say about where they want to try him first. I'd think they'll give him a shot at RT and kick him inside to G if that doesn't work. Don't hate the pick but if he's not a tackle then IDK what they're doing. It feels like they have 2 tackles and 8 guards.
(Maybe they see Jenkins as a tackle prospect eventually. Who knows. I thought they'd try Runyan at T last year -- he was a LT at UM -- but they said on draft day he was a guard so who knows.)

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 01:40 PM
It's about time for another Corner. D. J. Daniel, the third Georgia guy might be good as a slot guy. Wildgoose, the Badger, might be a good project as an outside Corner, but the one I'd really like to see us get is Kary Vincent of L.S.U.

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Newman played left guard his junior year and Right Tackle as a senior. Compared him to Billy Turner. Says he won't be the best player in the line but won't be a liability either.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Re: Newman! I'll be interested to hear what the personnel department has to say about where they want to try him first. I'd think they'll give him a shot at RT and kick him inside to G if that doesn't work. Don't hate the pick but if he's not a tackle then IDK what they're doing. It feels like they have 2 tackles and 8 guards.
(Maybe they see Jenkins as a tackle prospect eventually. Who knows. I thought they'd try Runyan at T last year -- he was a LT at UM -- but they said on draft day he was a guard so who knows.)

Bakh, Turner and Jenkins can play tackle. I think they’re leaning into that flexibility.

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 01:50 PM
You think the last pick was that bad or something? I only know what I just googled on the kid, so I am curious what you think and why.

Sorry as I am at a basketball tournament so short time but it sure seems like there were a lot of better players out there.

Bretsky
05-01-2021, 01:51 PM
There goes the lb. Wist is right. Nixon the dot was there as well wasn’t he ?

SMBASS
05-01-2021, 02:04 PM
There goes the lb. Wist is right. Nixon the dot was there as well wasn’t he ?

Yeah, Nixon was there. Carolina took him with pick 158. Dude is a little raw, but he had a hell of a year at Iowa and was the B1G DPOY. I think the Panthers got a real steal taking him in the mid-5th Rd.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Loudermilk to the Steelers. Sorry to Bretsky and me.

The Shadow
05-01-2021, 02:15 PM
I KNEW Trevor Lawrence's face reminded me of someone (or something).
Finally figured it out :
The face on the Morlock pyramid in the 1960 version of The Time Machine.

sharpe1027
05-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Sorry as I am at a basketball tournament so short time but it sure seems like there were a lot of better players out there.

Got it. I don't know shit about other available players. I'll take your word on that What I read in him seemed solid though.

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Tedarell Slaton DT Florida

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Shemar Jean-Charles CB Appalachian State

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 02:34 PM

Personally, I wasn’t a big fan of Gainwell. Thought he was a bit overrated.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Tedarell Slaton DT Florida

Slaton could be a good pick. One of the few giant, run stuffing NTs in the draft.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Shemar Jean-Charles CB Appalachian State

Never heard of him. I’m guessing his measurable are good?

run pMc
05-01-2021, 02:37 PM
Younger, cheaper Snacks Harrison? He's a monstrous human being at 6-5 340. I know nothing about him or the CB from Appalachian St. but on the surface I don't hate the picks. They needed another DL, and as a believe in the "you can't have enough good corners" theory a developmental CB can't hurt

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 02:43 PM
PROSPECT SUMMARY – SHEMAR JEAN-CHARLES
Prior to starting over the final two seasons of his career at Appalachian State, Shemar Jean-Charles mostly served as a special teams ace. Following that point, he quickly transitioned into being one of the better players on the roster. Possessing a rocked-up top half, he’s an impressively put together corner prospect. Playing mostly on the outside, he was able to collect 26 passes defensed and two interceptions over the past two seasons combined. He's a physical corner out on the perimeter, but his lack of length could lead to him playing a nickel role on the next level. There is some hip tightness with Jean-Charles, which could make his transition inside result in some growing pains early on. But as he continues to become more comfortable, he’s a developmental player that could prove to be solid depth at the position.

Ideal Role: Developmental slot defender who has the capabilities of being a heavy special teams contributor during the early portions of his career.

Scheme Fit: Attacking Cover 1 press-man nickel corner.

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 02:47 PM
PROSPECT SUMMARY – TEDARRELL SLATON
Tedarrell Slaton is an impressively built interior defensive line prospect. He's listed at nearly 360 pounds, but looks much slimmer than his listed weight—he looks around 330 pounds and carries his weight well with an evenly distributed body structure. Leverage is the name of his game and he often starts low in his stance. He’s able to remain at that level throughout the duration of reps. An extremely powerful player at the point of attack, he makes it difficult for double teams to move him off of his spots. He’s a true head-up 0-technique that thrives with maintaining both A-gaps. Slaton wins strictly off of bull rush attempts and it’s a method that’s been highly effective for him to this point in his career. He also incorporates a quick swim move when able to jump the snap. He's been treated primarily as a two-down defender and he won’t provide much value on third down or obvious passing situations. As a run defender, there are stretches of inconsistencies of where he can make plays while engaged on single blocks, but he fails to make an impact and thus falls victim to runs being exploited through his gap. He has the arm strength to reach out and stop rushers in their tracks, but he often doesn’t reach out and make an effort to make those types of plays often. There are periods where Slaton has struggled with maintaining his balance when knocked out of plays and he has some reps of where he will randomly fall to the ground.

Ideal Role: Developmental 0- or 1-technique.

Scheme Fit: 3-4 nose tackle or a 1-technique in a 4-3 defensive front.

run pMc
05-01-2021, 02:50 PM
So Jean-Charles is a special teams ace who will push/backup Sullivan in the slot?

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 02:53 PM
We’ll be lucky to get a starter and a rotational player late in the draft. I’m hopeful but after watching 20 of these unfold over the years, I’ve learned to not expect much. Plus a shallow draft later, just below average prospects. But we have to keep that rotating door going until something sticks

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Apparently, Newman had a good Senior Bowl week.

Fritz
05-01-2021, 03:56 PM
I think Slaton is going to be a good player for the Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 04:07 PM
Is Cole van Lanen any good?

pittstang5
05-01-2021, 04:13 PM
Is Cole van Lanen any good?

another O-lineman. Two more picks, why not just draft two more o-linemen to have a whole second o-line.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Is he good?

ThunderDan
05-01-2021, 04:19 PM
Is he good?

He played well for UW. First team all Big 10. Won’t be a starter but might be another Tauscher if he is given a bit of time to get to an NFL weight program.

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 04:22 PM
COLE VAN LANEN | Wisconsin | OT | #71 | rSr | 6052 | 312 | 5.05e | Green Bay, WI | Bay Port

Overview:
Continuing the trend of outstanding offensive line play at Wisconsin, left tackle Van Lanen has been a beacon of consistency for the unit over the last couple seasons. Boasting a prototypical well-proportioned frame, Van Lanen certainly looks the part of a future NFL offensive lineman. He is a smooth athlete who shows adequate foot quickness in pass protection and working to the second level laterally in the run game. This allows him to stay patient with a compact and stable base. Van Lanen is a battle-tested offensive lineman who has been in big-time battles during his time in the Big Ten. He has a powerful lower half, showing the ability to create some movement early on in reps. His power can be compromised with less than ideal pad level. It can make Van Lanen’s balance inconsistent, leading to far too many reps on the ground. His hand usage in both the run and pass game can leave a lot to be desired. He can leave his hands too low, contacting low and late on opposing defenders. Van Lanen doesn’t do exceptionally well working in space. He does his best work playing in tight quarters, bringing to question a potential move inside at the next level. Even so, Van Lanen is the type of offensive lineman who could potentially back up multiple positions on the offensive line. With his combination of size, power and quick feet, he could serve as the preferred swing option with starter upside in the right situation.

https://www.si.com/.image/c_fit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw _674/MTgwMzE2OTc0NTY2MzUyMDIy/cole-van-lanen-ras.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2021, 04:23 PM
NFL.com has a pretty high rating on McDuffie. I didn’t get to most LBs, so I don’t know a lot about him.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 04:24 PM
We were one pick too slow in our Wildgoose chase, but we at least snagged a different Badger. Yeah, I say there's hope for Van Lanen.

I see the Cowboys got APB's dream yokozuma, the 435 pound 7.2 40 guy. The DT we got looks like a keeper - plenty of size, unlike several on the team now that get pushed around so bad. The other guy, the Corner, was the position I wanted, but sure enough, check on the description and the first thing that pops up is small and slow - short arms too hahahaha.

Finally an ILB - smallish, good effort, good special teams player ...... uh, ok, maybe he'll turn into something good too hahahaha.

run pMc
05-01-2021, 04:25 PM
NFL.com has a pretty high rating on McDuffie. I didn’t get to most LBs, so I don’t know a lot about him.

I get "draft pick for Maurice Drayton" vibes with him. Most sites say he'll be good on ST but have trouble cracking into starting lineup. Maybe Joe Barry can do some ILB-whispering and make something out of him, but he's on the smaller side and his instincts are ostensibly a work in progress.

With the players who were still on the board during the last three GB picks, I'm scratching my head a bit. Seems like some of these are weird picks, but I suppose late 5th round on is basically a small step up from UDFA. Still, I'd have looked elsewhere but maybe there are scheme fit, medical, or character issues. (Or maybe they are letting the interns run the show at this point of the draft.)

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 04:28 PM

Mcginns guys had him 4th/5th

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Isaiah McDuffie NFL Draft Player Profile
Height: 6’1 1/4″
Weight: 227 pounds
Position: Linebacker
School: Boston College
Current Year: Redshirt Junior

Tony Pauline’s Isaiah McDuffie Scouting Report
Positives: Slightly undersized, an athletic linebacker with good instincts. Quickly locates the ball, correctly reads the action, and shows good awareness in coverage. Remains disciplined with assignments, gets depth on pass drops, and keeps the action in front of him. Works hard getting to the action, sells out, and wraps up tackling. Displays a great head for the ball and makes a lot of athletic plays.

Negatives: May be tapped out physically and does not possess great growth potential. Lacks elite play speed for a smaller linebacker.

Analysis: McDuffie was a tough, hard-nosed defender who showed athleticism but comes with some limitations. He’ll be a solid run-and-chase linebacker who is best suited on the inside of a 3-4 alignment, and he makes plays with instincts and hustle.

Brandon494
05-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Long time no post but just wanted to drop in and say loving our draft so far, we definitely picked up some studs on the OL, secondary, and Rodgers is a Cobb clone. Unfortunately I think the Bears picked up some studs on offense as well, hopefully Im wrong on Fields but looks like a winner to me. As for the QB situation Im team Rodgers all day, do what you gotta do to keep him around or better be damn sure that Jordan Love is the next franchise QB.

RashanGary
05-01-2021, 04:53 PM
Long time no post but just wanted to drop in and say loving our draft so far, we definitely picked up some studs on the OL, secondary, and Rodgers is a Cobb clone. Unfortunately I think the Bears picked up some studs on offense as well, hopefully Im wrong on Fields but looks like a winner to me. As for the QB situation Im team Rodgers all day, do what you gotta do to keep him around or better be damn sure that Jordan Love is the next franchise QB.

Welcome back. A new poster arrived and trolled the name Brandon into the dirt.

Sparkey
05-01-2021, 04:59 PM

That's really giving dirt a bad rap.

George Cumby
05-01-2021, 05:48 PM

What RG said.

Welcome back, Brandon.

run pMc
05-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Kylin Hill in R7 is a decent get. I thought they'd prefer Jefferson, but what do I know.
Lots of players available as UDFA's; I expect GB is working the phones feverishly.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2021, 05:55 PM
Hill sounds a lot like Jamal Williams.

jmbarnes101
05-01-2021, 07:53 PM
I’m hoping they go get Tammorian Terry. Needs some seasoning but has the possibility of being good. I’m not sure who else good is worth getting but they’ll get on it.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2021, 05:42 PM
So, I recorded the draft because I was out of town. I don't have the NFL Network, so I recorded the ESPN broadcast. Per usual, after the 3rd round pick there almost nothing on the Packers picks. A few times they went to commercial as the Packers were picking and didn't even review the Packers pick when they came back. They are worthless.

Bretsky
05-02-2021, 08:58 PM
So, I recorded the draft because I was out of town. I don't have the NFL Network, so I recorded the ESPN broadcast. Per usual, after the 3rd round pick there almost nothing on the Packers picks. A few times they went to commercial as the Packers were picking and didn't even review the Packers pick when they came back. They are worthless.

Gotta agree; coverage is terrible. And unfortunately for guys who love the draft there is no local coverage either.

When the draft comes to GB we all need to be there