PDA

View Full Version : Geathers not fined for hit on QB Trent Green of KC

FritzDontBlitz
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2586507

interesting note: if geathers was blocked in the back, WHY WASN'T CLIPPING CALLED???

reads like the nfl trying to cover for a sorry officiating crew.

and speaking of sorry officiating, what about.....

nah.

i ain't even gonna go there.....

Oscar
09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I was watching the that game and I think there should have been a flag. Wether he was "pushed" or not. First game of the year so lets as refs set the tone. I'd betthe farm that if a Chiefs player laid the lumber on Palmer the exact same way......sh!t would have hit the fan..

Rastak
09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I was watching the that game and I think there should have been a flag. Wether he was "pushed" or not. First game of the year so lets as refs set the tone. I'd betthe farm that if a Chiefs player laid the lumber on Palmer the exact same way......sh!t would have hit the fan..

I completely disagree.....he was in the air when Green slide and he hit him with his shoulder...there should not have been a flag or a fine.

mission
09-13-2006, 07:20 PM
yay ras, we agree :wink:

definitely a late slide and shoulder pad-to-helmet contact.

vicious yes but i dont think a penalty.

Rastak
09-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Plus he slid way late......if you are going to do the pansy slide you gotta do it well before the guy lines you up and launches.

GBRulz
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't think there should have been a fine, either. I see no evidence of Green being hit late....the guy was already lunging for him.

havanother
09-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I side with the NO FINE camp on this one. The situation sucks, but it's the part of football no one likes to see.

gbgary
09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
is there a clip of the hit somewhere? i missed it.

Tony Oday
09-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Helmet to Helmet should have been called no doubt about that. They call you know for hitting the QB on the 5th Sunday of the month at 12:32pm on an i formation play action 32 curl! They flag for almost every hit on a QB and they dont on that that is BS!

mission
09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Helmet to Helmet should have been called no doubt about that. They call you know for hitting the QB on the 5th Sunday of the month at 12:32pm on an i formation play action 32 curl! They flag for almost every hit on a QB and they dont on that that is BS!

how can you call helmet to helmet when his helmet never hit green's helmet? not to be captain obvious here but h2h implies that two helmets were involved haha... it's pretty clear that's not the case.

it's football and a literal interpretation of the rules (and play) aren't going to draw a flag on that. he slid late, was past the line of scrimmage and there was no helmet from the defender involved.

what are you gonna call?

Tony Oday
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM

how can you call helmet to helmet when his helmet never hit green's helmet? not to be captain obvious here but h2h implies that two helmets were involved haha... it's pretty clear that's not the case.

it's football and a literal interpretation of the rules (and play) aren't going to draw a flag on that. he slid late, was past the line of scrimmage and there was no helmet from the defender involved.

what are you gonna call?

Sorry I mis remembered the hit he lowered his helmet like Hawk did in the preaseason game and isnt getting fined.

Dune
09-14-2006, 06:10 PM
If he was Micheal Vick there would have been a 15 yard penalty and he may have been thrown out of the game.

Watching Atlanta for the last few years and there seems to be a differant set of standards when Michael Vick is involved.

I have seen flags thrown for someone tackling him because he was going out of bounds. He was still 3 - 5 yards from the sideline and was running at an angle downfield.

justanotherpackfan
09-14-2006, 08:45 PM
So, how long is Green out for?

Lurker64
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM

I believe the mitigating circumstances were largely:

1) Geathers was blocked into Green and so wasn't under complete control anyway.
and
2) On further review, it was clear that Geathers attempted to avoid helmet to helmet contact with Green despite not being under control.

Those two things seem to absolve the defender pretty unabashedly. I agree with the league in this case. It's nice to see reason applied to the whole "protect the QB" issue. It sucks for Green and the Chiefs, but Green really should have been protecting himself by sliding earlier, which would have avoided this whole mess.