PDA

View Full Version : QBs want to be Lebron, women want to be with him.

bobblehead
05-07-2021, 11:06 PM
It occurred to me the other day with all the Rodgers drama and Wilson drama and Watson drama and Wentz drama....

Todays primadonna QBs want to be NBA players. They want to be on super teams and win rings and get them sum damn respect!!

These guys see LeBron head off to LA and get to add AD to his team. They see Durant go sign up with the defending champ warriors. They see harden work himself over to Brooklyn.

What these modern day spoiled athletes want is what every millennial wants. They want it all and they want it handed to them and then they want respect for all they have attained.

The problem with the NFL is 2 guys don't make a super team. A team wide cap isn't the same as the NBAs cap where supermax deals allow Davis and LeBron to unite. Rodgers can't join Watson to form a super team, and 2 guys on max contracts can't instantly elevate a team to the finals....er the Owl.

Its just the way the NFL is designed. You need a talented deep roster to win it all and thats near impossible once your QB gets paid and you draft from 25-32 every year. And honestly if you can "cheat code" your way to a ring does it even really count? This is why Giannis is becoming my favorite current athlete. He could have left and joined the Warriors or better yet the Clippers to win a ring, but he didn't. He stayed put and is going to win an honest ring, or do without.

th87
05-08-2021, 03:51 AM
And the NBA welcomes and enables this approach as it fuels TV ratings for those speculating on the next superstar destination.

run pMc
05-08-2021, 10:31 AM
NBA rosters are also much smaller, and playoff rotations usually go 8 deep...so signing a significant player can make a big difference. Compare with the NFL where you have the 46 or whatever active gameday players. Playoff format is also different -- in NBA it's a series, and the more talented team usually wins.

Playmakers absolutely matter in the NFL, QBs are the closest thing to an NBA superstar because it's a passing league now. I agree the sports are different such that it's much harder to Dream Team or cheat code your way to a ring in the NFL.

If you're playing in the NFL and in your home stadium, I don't understand how you'd feel disrespected by the public when almost the entire crowd is cheering for you.

texaspackerbacker
05-08-2021, 11:22 AM
True, on e or two guys don't make the team great like happens so often in the NBA, but lacking a top quality QB can drag a team down severely just like not having a superstar usually does in the NBA.

True about rule differences in the cap being a significant factor, but arguably that supermax thing wouldn't work in the NFL.

True about Giannis being a real gem by being loyal to the small market franchise. However, there is evidence of Aaron Rodgers being similar in that respect until Gutekunst basically fucked up the wet dream by alienating his superstar.

I'd much rather compare Rodgers to Michael Jordan, BTW, than piece of shit Lebron. Jordan, like Rodgers, is the true GOAT of the NBA (except maybe for Wilt Chamberlain - speaking of women wanting to be with him hahahaha). Lebron ain't. Jordan also allegedly had similar problems to what Rodgers has with team leadership.

bobblehead
05-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Sort of the responses I wanted to evoke. Bottom line is that Rodgers et al want to be able to do the NBA thing and work a title through a key move. Fans want to believe Rodgers is the only reason the Packers aren't 2-14. The truth is that in the NFL roster construction is so much more. Coaching is so much more.

If Russell, Watson and Rodgers did a musical chairs thing, they would all be happy for a season. The new teams must obviously recognize my greatness because they traded for me. But then Rodgers would bitch about his OL in seattle, Watson would cry about his weapons in GB and Wilson would recognize the entire dysfunction of the Texans.

You are correct Tex, QB is the most important position in the NFL and probably all of sports. But I have seen guys win Owls and get to NFCC games who weren't named Rodgers or Maholmes. I've seen aging QBs put aside the ego and win with the running game and defense. But what I have seen most of all is great QBs win ONE Owl only and then due to ego and salary cap % of their own salary fail to win another. Brady is the exception, but he also took less money often and always had a top 5 defense. Maybe Maholmes will defy the odds. But so far, paying a QB 20% of the cap doesn't seem like a recipe for success. Selling out for WR talent doesn't seem to be a big factor in Owls either. Defense and efficient QB play with a strong run game....that has stood the test of time.

Sparkey
05-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Sort of the responses I wanted to evoke. Bottom line is that Rodgers et al want to be able to do the NBA thing and work a title through a key move. Fans want to believe Rodgers is the only reason the Packers aren't 2-14. The truth is that in the NFL roster construction is so much more. Coaching is so much more.

If Russell, Watson and Rodgers did a musical chairs thing, they would all be happy for a season. The new teams must obviously recognize my greatness because they traded for me. But then Rodgers would bitch about his OL in seattle, Watson would cry about his weapons in GB and Wilson would recognize the entire dysfunction of the Texans.

You are correct Tex, QB is the most important position in the NFL and probably all of sports. But I have seen guys win Owls and get to NFCC games who weren't named Rodgers or Maholmes. I've seen aging QBs put aside the ego and win with the running game and defense. But what I have seen most of all is great QBs win ONE Owl only and then due to ego and salary cap % of their own salary fail to win another. Brady is the exception, but he also took less money often and always had a top 5 defense. Maybe Maholmes will defy the odds. But so far, paying a QB 20% of the cap doesn't seem like a recipe for success. Selling out for WR talent doesn't seem to be a big factor in Owls either. Defense and efficient QB play with a strong run game....that has stood the test of time.

^THIS^

texaspackerbacker
05-08-2021, 06:53 PM

Yeah, you get outliers like Dilfer and Eli Manning winning Super Bowls, but it sort of boils down to the old idea, would you rather have consistency near the top, or a feast or famine situation - Super Bowl or drop down to almost nothingness. I'll take the consistent winner every time. I won't exactly say fuck Super Bowls, but 13-3, 14-4, 26-6, 28-8 over the past couple of years is very satisfying to me.

I wouldn't say Rodgers is the only reason the Packers don't go 2-14, but I will say, he's probably the only reason they rise above .500. Wilson did have plenty of reason to bitch about his O Line, and heaven knows, Watson lacked weapons on offense, made worse by at least the one horrendous trade. Brady is probably the second best QB all time, although myself, I think I'd put P. Manning, Elway, maybe Favre and Unitas above him talent-wise. His supporting cast made him what he has been. Mahomes could rise in 10 or 12 years to #2 all time, maybe even co-GOAT, but he's still got a lot to prove.

I would argue, as I have for years, maybe decades, LUCK is the biggest single factor in getting to and winning Super Bowls. Talent, coaching, etc. gets you in the neighborhood, but LUCK puts you over the top.

call_me_ishmael
05-08-2021, 11:52 PM
The Jordan comp is over done. People forget how damn good of team's they put around him thanks to the horrible Pippen contract.

Rodgers has a talented team around him but it's hard to argue the team has gone all in - they spent their premium asset to get better in 2020 on a bench warmer for example.

I know, I know, the butterfly effect and all, but I seriously think the Packers would have won a championship or two had they drafted TJ instead of Kevin King.