PDA

View Full Version : Packers sniffing around Bottles

George Cumby
05-12-2021, 04:51 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/12/report-packers-have-interest-in-blake-bortles/

George Cumby
05-12-2021, 04:53 PM
Might be a done deal:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/packers-blake-bortles-joins-packers-as-workouts-approach/

Joemailman
05-12-2021, 05:16 PM
What kind of bottles are they sniffing? Not glue I hope.

George Cumby
05-12-2021, 05:17 PM
Lol. I just saw that.

It stays.

scharpcheddar
05-12-2021, 05:20 PM
https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1392595911143002114?s=19

scharpcheddar
05-12-2021, 05:21 PM
What a weak ass site.
Can't even link a twitter image

scharpcheddar
05-12-2021, 05:22 PM
Woohoo! Bortles

bobblehead
05-12-2021, 06:09 PM
Finally the front office is reading my garbage. Been pimping the Bortles signing for over a year now!!

Sadly, this could be a sign that they are entertaining offers for Rodgers, otherwise why would we bring in a veteran?

run pMc
05-12-2021, 06:11 PM
Might be a done deal:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/packers-blake-bortles-joins-packers-as-workouts-approach/

The person that wrote this was drunk and misinformed:

Prior to Bortles' signing, Jordan Love was the only quarterback slated to attend the start of in-person workouts April 17, so the 29-year-old's presence fills a clear need for depth at the position.

timewarps aside, they apparently also missed that they have Kurt Benkert and Chad Kelly in rookie minicamp this weekend and there's nothing aside from their crappy performance preventing them from showing up in future OTAs.

The problem with many in the media is they are more interested in being first than being correct.

Bretsky
05-12-2021, 06:55 PM
Finally the front office is reading my garbage. Been pimping the Bortles signing for over a year now!!

Sadly, this could be a sign that they are entertaining offers for Rodgers, otherwise why would we bring in a veteran?

Could be
or
They need a competent backup for Rodgers and GutersLov is not ready
or
They are just looking for a camp arm since they still don't know if Rodgers is going to show up

Bretsky
05-12-2021, 07:36 PM
Somebody should start the poll besides me .............Who is the Packers starting QB week one.....Rodgers....Bortles...or Luvmachine

Joemailman
05-12-2021, 07:37 PM
It's insurance in case Rodgers leaves. Even if they were to decide Love is ready to start, having an experienced backup isn't a bad idea. Bortles played with the Rams in 2019, so it wouldn't take him long to learn this offense.

King Friday
05-12-2021, 08:28 PM
Did they get Rodgers to approve this beforehand?

Bretsky
Remember Bortles played under our current OC and looked OK. It is insurance. If Rodgers leaves he may start week 1

Bretsky
Did they get Rodgers to approve this beforehand?

Rodgers would have supported signing a backup :))))

bobblehead
05-12-2021, 09:21 PM
If you're Bortles you KNOW that the packers aren't going to roster you if Rodgers is the QB. Love is the backup already. Either Rodgers or Love is going to be traded I'd imagine.

It could be either, but my gut says they have a deal worked out with either Denver or LV. They can't announce it until June 6th. Or they have a few suitors for Love already and are holding out for a little more. That would be nice. Extend Rodgers, Bortles is the backup and trade Love for a very average DL.

RashanGary
05-12-2021, 09:59 PM

The resident Bortles weighs in....

Who knows what’s going on though. Rodgers and Green Bay could be working this out or maybe they’re not. Bortles doesn’t mean much because we needed a third arm regardless. And maybe with Rodgers holding out, we need a second veteran arm to help the offense function and grow.

Rodgers will probably be back, but while he’s gone a veteran helps the rest of the offense grow.

CaptainKickass
05-12-2021, 10:08 PM
What kind of bottles are they sniffing?

Perhaps they found some black market knockoffs imitating these vintage winecoolers Bortles and Jaymes

If only we had a blue-chip star-player named Jaymes...

https://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/FSTb_toPlJwIFRvZ-Aarrq8s1Zk=/1400x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/4ZPTD577NJ7CJSJNQ4ZFT5EOME.jpg

Fritz
05-13-2021, 09:09 AM
Could be
or
They need a competent backup for Rodgers and GutersLov is not ready
or
They are just looking for a camp arm since they still don't know if Rodgers is going to show up

I think it's that. If they are going "all in," they want a vet back there, not a raw rook, if Rodgers is hurt.

RashanGary
05-13-2021, 01:37 PM
I think Rodgers isn’t showing up to the offseason work. So the offense will sputter and it will be hard to get good practices for the WRs, OL and running backs if some undrafted bum is fumbling verbiage, fumbling footballs and throwing ducks. So they bring in Bortles so they can run a crisp show and get everyone ready for the season. I think Love is ahead of Bortles.

When training camp rolls around, maybe Rodgers will still be holding out. Having Bortles keep some semblance of cohesion so the young guys around can grow will be even more important.

Rodgers is almost absolutely likely to show up for games regardless of if he gets what he wants. He stands to lose about 100M by retiring. That’s not gonna happen.

So I think it’s preparation for a possible Rodgers hold out. Once the season starts, if Rodgers doesn’t show up till last minute, it will be a sluggish start and probably a lost season. If that happens, Rodgers will be gone next year. They just can’t afford the gsme of chicken two years in a row.

RashanGary
05-13-2021, 01:40 PM
Rodgers is pretty dug in, to not be used and discarded. Maybe he’ll agree to two or three more years of guaranteed starting. I don’t see the team going beyond 3 years because they need to see Love, worst case, by his 5th year. I hope Rodgers takes three more years and considers it a good compromise.

call_me_ishmael
05-13-2021, 02:05 PM
Again, I reiterate, there is a trivial percent chance love ever plays for the Packers significantly if the Packers commit to 3 more years of Rodgers. They will deal him barring extreme injury to Love or Rodgers or other crazy circumstance. Love would be a dick in the locker room if his career is screwed over and kiboshed to appease Rodgers. Who wouldn't be? I would go ballistic.

Joemailman
05-13-2021, 02:14 PM
I think Rodgers isn’t showing up to the offseason work. So the offense will sputter and it will be hard to get good practices for the WRs, OL and running backs if some undrafted bum is fumbling verbiage, fumbling footballs and throwing ducks. So they bring in Bortles so they can run a crisp show and get everyone ready for the season. I think Love is ahead of Bortles.

When training camp rolls around, maybe Rodgers will still be holding out. Having Bortles keep some semblance of cohesion so the young guys around can grow will be even more important.

Rodgers is almost absolutely likely to show up for games regardless of if he gets what he wants. He stands to lose about 100M by retiring. That’s not gonna happen.

So I think it’s preparation for a possible Rodgers hold out. Once the season starts, if Rodgers doesn’t show up till last minute, it will be a sluggish start and probably a lost season. If that happens, Rodgers will be gone next year. They just can’t afford the gsme of chicken two years in a row.

I expect a resolution before training camp. In fact, probably before the mandatory minicamp on June 8. Nobody wants to do summer of 2008 over again.

RashanGary
05-13-2021, 02:14 PM
Again, I reiterate, there is a trivial percent chance love ever plays for the Packers significantly if the Packers commit to 3 more years of Rodgers. They will deal him barring extreme injury to Love or Rodgers or other crazy circumstance. Love would be a dick in the locker room if his career is screwed over and kiboshed to appease Rodgers. Who wouldn't be? I would go ballistic.

Hmmmm.... QB's have long careers and he's getting invaluable knowledge and experience to give his career the best possible chance for true success. I don't think him not playing for 4 years ruins his career. It's tough, but he's getting some tidbits behind Rodgers he would never get in another situation. I think there is some frustration, quite a bit, if he has.to sit 4 years. But not as much as throwing an absolute fit. I think he can find the silver lining and maybe go on to be a great player.

RashanGary
05-13-2021, 02:16 PM
I expect a resolution before training camp. In fact, probably before the mandatory minicamp on June 8. Nobody wants to do summer of 2008 over again.

Lol! Yeah, I think TC is a pressure point for this. They can't guarantee him over 3 years. I hope Rodgers can be a little flexible here too.

call_me_ishmael
05-13-2021, 02:29 PM
Hmmmm.... QB's have long careers and he's getting invaluable knowledge and experience to give his career the best possible chance for true success. I don't think him not playing for 4 years ruins his career. It's tough, but he's getting some tidbits behind Rodgers he would never get in another situation. I think there is some frustration, quite a bit, if he has.to sit 4 years. But not as much as throwing an absolute fit. I think he can find the silver lining and maybe go on to be a great player.

Do you have any examples of a first round draft pick sitting on the bench for four years? AFAIK, it's without precedent. 3 years was pretty unprecedented and probably wouldn't fly in today's world.

Spaulding
05-13-2021, 03:25 PM
Do you have any examples of a first round draft pick sitting on the bench for four years? AFAIK, it's without precedent. 3 years was pretty unprecedented and probably wouldn't fly in today's world.

His salary doesn't change during his rookie contract regardless of whether he plays immediately or 3-4 years down the road.

If he's as raw as everybody suggests he is it's likely he wouldn't play much this year anyways. I would think he would want to shine when plays to command the 5th year option and future contract.

Thus it's possible not playing until year four gives him the best chance at success and increased payday moving forward.

Off the top of my head, over the ten or years there's a littiny of QB's rushed into service that flamed out. Whether it was due to simply not having it or maybe being rushed too soon is up for debate but either way they likely weren't served well by starting very early in their career:

Paxton Lynch
Jake Locker
Josh Rosen
Dwayne Haskins
Brandon Weeden
Matt Leinart
Christian Ponder
J.P. Losman
Patrick Ramsey
Blaine Gabbert
Blake Bortles
Mitch Trubisky
Marcus Mariota
Sam Darnold

RashanGary
05-13-2021, 03:28 PM

He’ll be upset probably. I'm sure he's a confident young guy and wants to show what he's got. But I think he can find a silver lining. He’ll learn a lot from 12.

RashanGary
05-13-2021, 03:30 PM
Good point Spalding, he makes a lot of money to not have to perform too. He's still making bank and learning his craft. It definitely doesn't hurt his chances of success to have the time behind Rodgers. Yeah, he won't like it, but there's some advantages and I'm sure he can find them when he looks at the situation.